Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

You're The Worst

I definitely could have done without Paul and Lindsay getting remarried but the rest was about as good as you could expect for the ending of this series. I'm really glad Edgar and Jimmy were able to make up. Also glad Edgar looked like he was doing really well. I only ever really cared about his character. I appreciated the appearance of Ben Folds as he brought some humor that I felt had been missing from this whole season. Eta: Oh and Tallulah's eyepatch in that one forward scene. Poor thing. I laughed though.

Fake Boyle was Lindsay's date for the wedding. LOL 😅😅😅

Edited by festivus
  • Like 3

Paul and Lindsey getting remarried works because it's a long time in the future. Felicity (I was wrong about Paul and Becca having a cute kid. He looked rather dorky) was at least three, which put the wedding at least four years in the future. I could see them after four years of hostility-free hanging out, they realize they just make sense to each other. Kind of like JD and Eliot on Scrubs -- in the end, as you get older (and kids get introduced) someone with whom you are comfortable can make a lot of sense.

I loved all of it. I liked Jimmy's perfectionism, I liked Becca talking about her squishy parts, though I expected her to hit Jimmy with his same line again. And I even understood Gretchen outsourcing her vows to Shitstain, and Jimmy having to create a character to write his. And that he kept editing them. 

All three crucial scenes were nearly perfect -- the rage Gretchen showed Edgar, concise, cruel, accurate and deliberate. Jimmy's hurt at Gretchen's not taking it seriously, Gretchen's admitting that she was trying to screw it up, and then, finally, after he had to beg, admitting she wanted it, and then Jimmy's one-day thing and their collaborative acceptance of her as she is -- all of those were just well played and well written. Really good stuff. 

My only questions was why was Felicity playing with "Uncle" Edgar if they'd all been estranged this long. My guess is that Gretchen, often being a cruel fuck-up herself, was pretty quick to forgive Edgar a while ago. Jimmy not so much. 

The montage worked pretty well. Not as good as Scrubs, but pretty well. Gretchen's joy when seeing the ultrasound was amazing, and her easy adaptation to motherhood. And that she still went off the edge sometimes but could live with it, maybe even making the bigger societal point about depression, that it sucks horribly but doesn't and shouldn't discount one from life. 

Lots of fun, and I'll miss it. 

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, festivus said:

Fake Boyle was Lindsay's date for the wedding. LOL 😅😅😅

THANK YOU!  I was trying so hard to place the actor.  

2 minutes ago, whiporee said:

My only questions was why was Felicity playing with "Uncle" Edgar if they'd all been estranged this long. My guess is that Gretchen, often being a cruel fuck-up herself, was pretty quick to forgive Edgar a while ago. Jimmy not so much. 

I don't question that.  Some kids will literally go and play with anyone, which is pretty horrifying.  I doubt Felicity had met Edgar prior to that. 

I was upset a bit at first that it was a fake-out, but I liked how they explained all the scenes and that they still had their same personalities, although a bit more mature.  I am usually a sucker for montages.  I know most people hate them, but I usually like them.  I REALLY liked this one to show the years leading up to the wedding.  It gave the viewers a snapshot of how they got where they did.  I also really like that Jimmy & Gretchen never got married. It makes sense for them.    

• Like 3

I have a lot of thoughts, but my strongest feelings are about the flash-forwards. In retrospect, I hated them.

They served no purpose except to mislead the audience, and they didn't even do that in a clever way. A lot of them didn't even make sense.

They hired the florist as a nanny, because Jimmy cheated with her once, and so that means he'll never do it again? That's some flawless logic there.

And there's no reason for Felicity to be referring to Edgar as her "uncle." Unless that's something she does with every adult she meets and likes, which would be pretty silly.

I'm not buying that Gretchen would give up drinking for any period of time just because Jimmy dared her to, either.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

I liked it, but didn't love it.  It somehow seemed kind of rushed to me, but I agree that the big emotional scenes really worked.  I will probably have to go back and watch some of the flash forwards because I"m not sure that I got all of the explanations for all of it.  Why was Gretchen at the hotel and why wasn't she drinking?  Was it part of Lindsay's pre-wedding celebration?  Did they make a bet about her not drinking?

I also didn't like that it seemed that Edgar was estranged from Jimmy and Gretchen for so long, but I liked the reconciliation scene.  But Gretchen was so fucking harsh to Edgar in the car that I had a hard time getting over it, especially because the reconciliation came so quickly in real time, though not show universe time.  I did love Edgar's resolve though, and his stubborn insistence on waiting for Jimmy, just in case.  Gretchen telling Edgar that Jimmy would never respect him was so mean, but I guess it kind of rolled off Edgar's shoulders because of Jimmy's speech to him the night/weekend before.  Which also makes me think that Edgar knows Jimmy better than Gretchen.  Who knew this was the relationship I was rooting for the whole time??  I didn't even like Edgar all that much up until the last few episodes. 

I, too, am a sucker for a montage and the song that they used was absolutely perfect (was it a Ben Folds song?), thank god, because a lot of those milestones seemed a little too cute and easy for me and again it felt kind of rushed.  One second Gretchen was reminding Jimmy that she may step in front of a train any day (WTF.) and the next is her thrilled with the sonagram and dancing at the wedding with the kids.  I don't know, people grow up and I"m glad that they ended up together, but I sort of wish we had seen a little more of this Gretchen before the finale.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

I, too, am a sucker for a montage and the song that they used was absolutely perfect (was it a Ben Folds song?)

That was "No Children" by the Mountain Goats and it was a terrific choice. (And Paul and Lindsay's first dance was to "Nothing" by Jennifer Sawdon, who is married to Chris Geere.)

I loved the finale. Finding out that the flash forwards were not what they seemed was, frankly, a relief and it made me want to watch them all again, now that I know how it all turns out. Jimmy and Gretchen ending up unmarried (but still together) was the choice that made the most sense, I think. Paul and Lindsay remarrying...still not sure about that.

This was a uniquely great show and I'll really miss it.

• Like 6

I liked the finale. I suspected that the flash forwards were fake outs from the moment Jimmy got out of the car he bought for Gretchen. I was satisfied with the explanation for them. 

The Jimmy/Edgar and Jimmy/Gretchen scenes were good. I loved the montage, and the song they used for it. 

I'm sad that Jimmy and Edgar were estranged for so long, but I do think Edgar needed to go his own way. 

• Like 2

OH GOD I CAN BREATHE AGAIN.

That is all.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

15 hours ago, ruby24 said:

And having a kid is a MUCH bigger commitment (for life) than marriage, imo. And that's also the thing that changes your relationship 100% permanently, so I'm not sure that's a great route for them to go down, if they want it to just be about each other every day. That baby will change that for good.

This!!! Just want to repeat it. Especially because he said he never could imagine having kids w her or something along those lines. 

Eta: so was Gretchen pregnant in the last few episodes?

Edited by Kroliosis · Reason: Thought
  • Like 1

I liked it, I am satified with it all. I thought Gretchen being a parent seemed to help her mental issues.

But, why was the car smashed up in the flash forwards?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, edhopper said:

I liked it, I am satified with it all. I thought Gretchen being a parent seemed to help her mental issues.

But, why was the car smashed up in the flash forwards?

Jimmy and Gretchen do enjoy drinking and driving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kieyra said:

Jimmy and Gretchen do enjoy drinking and driving.

okay, Ibut  have a feeling there is a deleted scene we should have seen.

Oh, one liiiiiitle quibble: I woulda liked to hear Jimmy's heckle for Paul and Lindsay's wedding.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3

6 minutes ago, arc said:

Oh, one liiiiiitle quibble: I woulda liked to hear Jimmy's heckle for Paul and Lindsay's wedding.

And Vernon was setting up for what should have been his final “born dead” speech, and we never quite got there. 

The finale leaned harder on sentiment than humor, and I don’t  blame them. They got me to cry, and I’m not a crier.

• Like 1

TVLINE | It’s interesting that they ended up having a kid together, because that seems like a bigger life commitment than getting married.
Yes! I think, sort of counter-intuitively, it is. But at the end of the day, the choice that Jimmy and Gretchen make, to bail on everyone and go eat diner food and give themselves this sort of out, this commitment that they will only make a commitment for one day, each day, is poetic and kind of lovely, but at the same time, it’s very much just a cheat. It’s the same thing we all do. It’s sort of a verbal escape valve they’re giving themselves, and like a lot of things that Jimmy and Gretchen do, it’s kind of bulls–t. But it works for them.

https://tvline.com/2019/04/03/youre-the-worst-recap-series-finale-pancakes-jimmy-gretchen-wedding/

I'm fond of saying that children make parents, in addition to the other way around. Everyone discovers for themselves how to be a parent with their own child - often sparked by "I don't want to be like my parents were". But marriage comes with huge baggage of social expectations, and over my lifetime I've met countless people who feel alienated from that social institution of marriage. Some of them end up doing it anyway - for tax reasons, or to assure parental rights, or because they want to be able to emigrate somewhere. The 1970s in particular it was quite common to find people who consciously rebelled against the conformity marriage implied by saying they wanted being together to be a daily choice rather than an obligation they'd signed onto.

• Like 3

I've taken some time to reflect, and I've come around on it more as time has gone on. On first watching I let the fact that Paul and Lindsay get married again really get to me. I just hate that outcome so much. Paul as an active participant in the Vernon and Becca Throuple was a far better outcome for all parties. He motivates them to become more responsible, they let him live in the moment among society. I get that somewhat leaves Lindsay "out in the cold" but her character arc was all about her independence and finding out who she was outside of any relationship (romantic of familial). Pair that with the idea that they are both bad for one another really makes them being remarried seem like a cop-out. At least Future-Jimmy (acting as our surrogate) vocalizes this is a bad idea. I would have been fine were it still Lindsay's wedding, but it's some new partner. Or perhaps the Florist, or Sam, or Doug Benson.

BUT

This show is truly Jimmy and Gretchen's story, and I feel like it ultimately did right by them. The treatment of the day and their feelings felt genuine to the characters and while it's nearly impossible to imagine them as parents from what we've experienced thus far, the notion that when they're faced with that outcome they respond accordingly does feel earned, because they have been through so much together. I'm also glad the show did right by Edgar and Jimmy with the former acknowledging his failure at the time, and Jimmy looking through the big picture. Gretchen's response to Edgar in the car also felt real, as did Lindsay's. Edgar's personal growth story really wrapped up last season, but he played a good supporting role this season, even as the last minute destructor. I had hoped the little girl would be his, maybe with Dorthy, maybe with someone else, but still he feels happy.

The episode had some great little moments too:

• Lindsay's song and everyone immediately going to their phones. Though I wish there had been a Ty and Boone lyric we got to hear.
  • Vernon's emotional roller coaster with the Best Man role and the pictures beforehand.
  • Killian's Sceintology is actually a great little gag
  • The "three years-on" montage may be becoming a trope for half-hour comedies in their conclusion. But it's a nice little post-mortem. Even if it's becoming cliche, I enjoy it.
  • The music in this show was always on point.

Thanks, "You're the Worst" You were certainly the show of my early-30s. I look forward to what all participants do next.

• Like 8

I guess they had to go to the conceit of a wedding in order to have an ending where Jimmy and Gretchen decide to simply choose each other each day. Which really was all they should have done to start with. So while I liked it Ok I think it took a wrong turn a number of episodes ago when the wedding became a thing. 

Did enjoy the looks at the future. Glad they all ended up in good places. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:32 AM, whiporee said:

Gretchen told Jimmy that she had met with Edgar early during the day of Paul and Lindsay's wedding and that he had been playing, I thinks she said "tiger", with Felicity.  When little kids are outgoing and sense a stranger is safe based upon the way their parent is reacting to them they are usually more than willing to engage with them too.  

This wound up being one of my favorite series finales.  I'm happy with the way things ended.  I believe this was actually my favorite episode of the entire series.  I like how it showed characters' vulnerabilities and also their growth.  Funny little moments too.  Good job, writers!

• Like 3

I actually liked the song Lindsay wrote for Gretchen.

It sounds like Kether Donohue is actually a pretty good singer.

I'm surprised how much I liked the way the show ended, given that I was on the fence about it for the past season or so. Still not thrilled Paul and Lindsay got back together unless Lindsay did some serious growing up in the last few years (and let's face it - her problems were much bigger than just immaturity). But I liked the resolution for Jimmy and Gretchen.

My head swims with the idea of how much money they wasted on that wedding though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

My head swims with the idea of how much money they wasted on that wedding though. 

I am fan wanking that everyone stayed and had a kick ass party without them. No reason to let all the food and booze go to waste. They could have just come back and said no wedding, let's party!! and everyone would have been cool.

• Like 2

S5.E1 clips:

Fake relationship story #1:

Fake relationship story #2:

Jimmy & Gretchen's best love story scene:

S5.E13 clips:

Best man photo shoot:

Gretchen's vows:

I am fan wanking that everyone stayed and had a kick ass party without them. No reason to let all the food and booze go to waste. They could have just come back and said no wedding, let's party!! and everyone would have been cool.

I'm betting Gretchen's parents weren't too happy considering they flew in for the event. Nor would anyone else who had to travel to be there. Of course, anyone who knew them should have known there was a good chance one of them would flake.

• Like 1