Type keyword(s) to search

You're The Worst - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I definitely could have done without Paul and Lindsay getting remarried but the rest was about as good as you could expect for the ending of this series. I'm really glad Edgar and Jimmy were able to make up. Also glad Edgar looked like he was doing really well. I only ever really cared about his character. I appreciated the appearance of Ben Folds as he brought some humor that I felt had been missing from this whole season. Eta: Oh and Tallulah's eyepatch in that one forward scene. Poor thing. I laughed though.

Fake Boyle was Lindsay's date for the wedding. LOL 😅😅😅

Edited by festivus
  • Love 3

Paul and Lindsey getting remarried works because it's a long time in the future. Felicity (I was wrong about Paul and Becca having a cute kid. He looked rather dorky) was at least three, which put the wedding at least four years in the future. I could see them after four years of hostility-free hanging out, they realize they just make sense to each other. Kind of like JD and Eliot on Scrubs -- in the end, as you get older (and kids get introduced) someone with whom you are comfortable can make a lot of sense.

I loved all of it. I liked Jimmy's perfectionism, I liked Becca talking about her squishy parts, though I expected her to hit Jimmy with his same line again. And I even understood Gretchen outsourcing her vows to Shitstain, and Jimmy having to create a character to write his. And that he kept editing them. 

All three crucial scenes were nearly perfect -- the rage Gretchen showed Edgar, concise, cruel, accurate and deliberate. Jimmy's hurt at Gretchen's not taking it seriously, Gretchen's admitting that she was trying to screw it up, and then, finally, after he had to beg, admitting she wanted it, and then Jimmy's one-day thing and their collaborative acceptance of her as she is -- all of those were just well played and well written. Really good stuff. 

My only questions was why was Felicity playing with "Uncle" Edgar if they'd all been estranged this long. My guess is that Gretchen, often being a cruel fuck-up herself, was pretty quick to forgive Edgar a while ago. Jimmy not so much. 

The montage worked pretty well. Not as good as Scrubs, but pretty well. Gretchen's joy when seeing the ultrasound was amazing, and her easy adaptation to motherhood. And that she still went off the edge sometimes but could live with it, maybe even making the bigger societal point about depression, that it sucks horribly but doesn't and shouldn't discount one from life. 

Lots of fun, and I'll miss it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 13
46 minutes ago, festivus said:

Fake Boyle was Lindsay's date for the wedding. LOL 😅😅😅

THANK YOU!  I was trying so hard to place the actor.  

2 minutes ago, whiporee said:

My only questions was why was Felicity playing with "Uncle" Edgar if they'd all been estranged this long. My guess is that Gretchen, often being a cruel fuck-up herself, was pretty quick to forgive Edgar a while ago. Jimmy not so much. 

I don't question that.  Some kids will literally go and play with anyone, which is pretty horrifying.  I doubt Felicity had met Edgar prior to that. 

I was upset a bit at first that it was a fake-out, but I liked how they explained all the scenes and that they still had their same personalities, although a bit more mature.  I am usually a sucker for montages.  I know most people hate them, but I usually like them.  I REALLY liked this one to show the years leading up to the wedding.  It gave the viewers a snapshot of how they got where they did.  I also really like that Jimmy & Gretchen never got married. It makes sense for them.    

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a lot of thoughts, but my strongest feelings are about the flash-forwards. In retrospect, I hated them.

They served no purpose except to mislead the audience, and they didn't even do that in a clever way. A lot of them didn't even make sense.

They hired the florist as a nanny, because Jimmy cheated with her once, and so that means he'll never do it again? That's some flawless logic there.

And there's no reason for Felicity to be referring to Edgar as her "uncle." Unless that's something she does with every adult she meets and likes, which would be pretty silly.

I'm not buying that Gretchen would give up drinking for any period of time just because Jimmy dared her to, either.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 5

I liked it, but didn't love it.  It somehow seemed kind of rushed to me, but I agree that the big emotional scenes really worked.  I will probably have to go back and watch some of the flash forwards because I"m not sure that I got all of the explanations for all of it.  Why was Gretchen at the hotel and why wasn't she drinking?  Was it part of Lindsay's pre-wedding celebration?  Did they make a bet about her not drinking?

I also didn't like that it seemed that Edgar was estranged from Jimmy and Gretchen for so long, but I liked the reconciliation scene.  But Gretchen was so fucking harsh to Edgar in the car that I had a hard time getting over it, especially because the reconciliation came so quickly in real time, though not show universe time.  I did love Edgar's resolve though, and his stubborn insistence on waiting for Jimmy, just in case.  Gretchen telling Edgar that Jimmy would never respect him was so mean, but I guess it kind of rolled off Edgar's shoulders because of Jimmy's speech to him the night/weekend before.  Which also makes me think that Edgar knows Jimmy better than Gretchen.  Who knew this was the relationship I was rooting for the whole time??  I didn't even like Edgar all that much up until the last few episodes. 

I, too, am a sucker for a montage and the song that they used was absolutely perfect (was it a Ben Folds song?), thank god, because a lot of those milestones seemed a little too cute and easy for me and again it felt kind of rushed.  One second Gretchen was reminding Jimmy that she may step in front of a train any day (WTF.) and the next is her thrilled with the sonagram and dancing at the wedding with the kids.  I don't know, people grow up and I"m glad that they ended up together, but I sort of wish we had seen a little more of this Gretchen before the finale.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

I, too, am a sucker for a montage and the song that they used was absolutely perfect (was it a Ben Folds song?)

That was "No Children" by the Mountain Goats and it was a terrific choice. (And Paul and Lindsay's first dance was to "Nothing" by Jennifer Sawdon, who is married to Chris Geere.)

I loved the finale. Finding out that the flash forwards were not what they seemed was, frankly, a relief and it made me want to watch them all again, now that I know how it all turns out. Jimmy and Gretchen ending up unmarried (but still together) was the choice that made the most sense, I think. Paul and Lindsay remarrying...still not sure about that.

This was a uniquely great show and I'll really miss it.

• Love 7

I liked the finale. I suspected that the flash forwards were fake outs from the moment Jimmy got out of the car he bought for Gretchen. I was satisfied with the explanation for them. 

The Jimmy/Edgar and Jimmy/Gretchen scenes were good. I loved the montage, and the song they used for it. 

I'm sad that Jimmy and Edgar were estranged for so long, but I do think Edgar needed to go his own way. 

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, ruby24 said:

And having a kid is a MUCH bigger commitment (for life) than marriage, imo. And that's also the thing that changes your relationship 100% permanently, so I'm not sure that's a great route for them to go down, if they want it to just be about each other every day. That baby will change that for good.

This!!! Just want to repeat it. Especially because he said he never could imagine having kids w her or something along those lines. 

Eta: so was Gretchen pregnant in the last few episodes?

Edited by Kroliosis
Thought
18 minutes ago, edhopper said:

I liked it, I am satified with it all. I thought Gretchen being a parent seemed to help her mental issues.

But, why was the car smashed up in the flash forwards?

Jimmy and Gretchen do enjoy drinking and driving.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, arc said:

Oh, one liiiiiitle quibble: I woulda liked to hear Jimmy's heckle for Paul and Lindsay's wedding.

And Vernon was setting up for what should have been his final “born dead” speech, and we never quite got there. 

The finale leaned harder on sentiment than humor, and I don’t  blame them. They got me to cry, and I’m not a crier.

• Love 1

TVLINE | It’s interesting that they ended up having a kid together, because that seems like a bigger life commitment than getting married.
Yes! I think, sort of counter-intuitively, it is. But at the end of the day, the choice that Jimmy and Gretchen make, to bail on everyone and go eat diner food and give themselves this sort of out, this commitment that they will only make a commitment for one day, each day, is poetic and kind of lovely, but at the same time, it’s very much just a cheat. It’s the same thing we all do. It’s sort of a verbal escape valve they’re giving themselves, and like a lot of things that Jimmy and Gretchen do, it’s kind of bulls–t. But it works for them.

https://tvline.com/2019/04/03/youre-the-worst-recap-series-finale-pancakes-jimmy-gretchen-wedding/

I'm fond of saying that children make parents, in addition to the other way around. Everyone discovers for themselves how to be a parent with their own child - often sparked by "I don't want to be like my parents were". But marriage comes with huge baggage of social expectations, and over my lifetime I've met countless people who feel alienated from that social institution of marriage. Some of them end up doing it anyway - for tax reasons, or to assure parental rights, or because they want to be able to emigrate somewhere. The 1970s in particular it was quite common to find people who consciously rebelled against the conformity marriage implied by saying they wanted being together to be a daily choice rather than an obligation they'd signed onto.

• Love 4

I've taken some time to reflect, and I've come around on it more as time has gone on. On first watching I let the fact that Paul and Lindsay get married again really get to me. I just hate that outcome so much. Paul as an active participant in the Vernon and Becca Throuple was a far better outcome for all parties. He motivates them to become more responsible, they let him live in the moment among society. I get that somewhat leaves Lindsay "out in the cold" but her character arc was all about her independence and finding out who she was outside of any relationship (romantic of familial). Pair that with the idea that they are both bad for one another really makes them being remarried seem like a cop-out. At least Future-Jimmy (acting as our surrogate) vocalizes this is a bad idea. I would have been fine were it still Lindsay's wedding, but it's some new partner. Or perhaps the Florist, or Sam, or Doug Benson.

BUT

This show is truly Jimmy and Gretchen's story, and I feel like it ultimately did right by them. The treatment of the day and their feelings felt genuine to the characters and while it's nearly impossible to imagine them as parents from what we've experienced thus far, the notion that when they're faced with that outcome they respond accordingly does feel earned, because they have been through so much together. I'm also glad the show did right by Edgar and Jimmy with the former acknowledging his failure at the time, and Jimmy looking through the big picture. Gretchen's response to Edgar in the car also felt real, as did Lindsay's. Edgar's personal growth story really wrapped up last season, but he played a good supporting role this season, even as the last minute destructor. I had hoped the little girl would be his, maybe with Dorthy, maybe with someone else, but still he feels happy.

The episode had some great little moments too:

• Lindsay's song and everyone immediately going to their phones. Though I wish there had been a Ty and Boone lyric we got to hear.
  • Vernon's emotional roller coaster with the Best Man role and the pictures beforehand.
  • Killian's Sceintology is actually a great little gag
  • The "three years-on" montage may be becoming a trope for half-hour comedies in their conclusion. But it's a nice little post-mortem. Even if it's becoming cliche, I enjoy it.
  • The music in this show was always on point.

Thanks, "You're the Worst" You were certainly the show of my early-30s. I look forward to what all participants do next.

• Love 9

I guess they had to go to the conceit of a wedding in order to have an ending where Jimmy and Gretchen decide to simply choose each other each day. Which really was all they should have done to start with. So while I liked it Ok I think it took a wrong turn a number of episodes ago when the wedding became a thing. 

Did enjoy the looks at the future. Glad they all ended up in good places. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:32 AM, whiporee said:

Gretchen told Jimmy that she had met with Edgar early during the day of Paul and Lindsay's wedding and that he had been playing, I thinks she said "tiger", with Felicity.  When little kids are outgoing and sense a stranger is safe based upon the way their parent is reacting to them they are usually more than willing to engage with them too.  

This wound up being one of my favorite series finales.  I'm happy with the way things ended.  I believe this was actually my favorite episode of the entire series.  I like how it showed characters' vulnerabilities and also their growth.  Funny little moments too.  Good job, writers!

• Love 5

I actually liked the song Lindsay wrote for Gretchen.

It sounds like Kether Donohue is actually a pretty good singer.

I'm surprised how much I liked the way the show ended, given that I was on the fence about it for the past season or so. Still not thrilled Paul and Lindsay got back together unless Lindsay did some serious growing up in the last few years (and let's face it - her problems were much bigger than just immaturity). But I liked the resolution for Jimmy and Gretchen.

My head swims with the idea of how much money they wasted on that wedding though. 

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

My head swims with the idea of how much money they wasted on that wedding though. 

I am fan wanking that everyone stayed and had a kick ass party without them. No reason to let all the food and booze go to waste. They could have just come back and said no wedding, let's party!! and everyone would have been cool.

• Love 3

I am fan wanking that everyone stayed and had a kick ass party without them. No reason to let all the food and booze go to waste. They could have just come back and said no wedding, let's party!! and everyone would have been cool.

I'm betting Gretchen's parents weren't too happy considering they flew in for the event. Nor would anyone else who had to travel to be there. Of course, anyone who knew them should have known there was a good chance one of them would flake.

• Love 1

If I Wrote a Coronavirus Episode

Jimmy and Gretchen would not know anything was happening in the world because mostly they stay home having weird sex and drinking. Gretchen would just be happy to hear her office is closed for the foreseeable future and wouldn’t read any further in the email, assuming the “COVID-19” in the subject line was just the kind of lame business-speak she’s highly proficient at pretending to understand. Edgar would be in a constant anxious state, in and out of the house with mask and gloves on, wiping down all groceries and takeout food, but they would simply wait impatiently for him to be done with whatever dumb shit he’s doing before grabbing their now-sanitized snacks and heading back down to their room, never wondering why Edgar was raving about that bad Mexican beer and wearing panic accoutrements, simply assuming he’ll eventually get his meds right or freak out and kill someone — either outcome being acceptable as long as it requires no effort on their parts.

During the confinement period, Jimmy might occasionally venture out to write — becoming mildly curious about the lack of traffic — and ultimately be confused about finding his café closed. Naturally Jimmy would not investigate any further, other than to assume that since cafés follow a terrible business model — a place where people spend maybe six bucks to occupy a table for hours! — it finally led them to financial ruin. Neither Jimmy or Gretchen read the paper or watch live television or follow anyone substantive on social media (Gretchen’s feed is all internet-famous animals and drunk teens falling off stuff), so the news only reaches them when Jimmy receives his sister’s ashes in the mail; she contracted the virus when she drunkenly tried to make out with Boris Johnson one night when he was walking his dog past the pub she was puking in front of. But by then, everything is open again and Jimmy and Gretchen quickly get sidetracked from having a real discussion about it when they discover that Fast & Furious 9 has been pushed off for a year. They spend the evening getting plastered, marathoning the first eight movies in the series, and lamenting how unfair life is. —Stephen Falk

• Love 4

I've been binge watching and I'm currently in the middle of season 4. I'm stuck in the Boone storyline and it's rough knowing that he isn't going away until the end of the season. You're the Worst has had episodes in other seasons that stray away from building up Jimmy and Gretchen's relationship and sometimes focused on other characters. Sometimes those episodes were filler-y and sometimes they were fine. But this is feeling like a whole season where everyone in the main cast (Gretchen, Jimmy, Edgar, Lindsay) is doing their own thing and I hate it. It's episode 6 and nothing feels like it's going anywhere. There are still occasionally funny moments but I think I'm not in the mood for it because I'm sulking through most of the episode running time. I miss Jimmy and Gretchen and I miss the frank depiction of Gretchen's depression and I miss Sam and Shitstain and Honeynuts. Maybe that last one will at least get better now that they know she isn't in Europe. Sigh...

• Love 1
9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I've been binge watching and I'm currently in the middle of season 4. I'm stuck in the Boone storyline and it's rough knowing that he isn't going away until the end of the season. You're the Worst has had episodes in other seasons that stray away from building up Jimmy and Gretchen's relationship and sometimes focused on other characters. Sometimes those episodes were filler-y and sometimes they were fine. But this is feeling like a whole season where everyone in the main cast (Gretchen, Jimmy, Edgar, Lindsay) is doing their own thing and I hate it. It's episode 6 and nothing feels like it's going anywhere. There are still occasionally funny moments but I think I'm not in the mood for it because I'm sulking through most of the episode running time. I miss Jimmy and Gretchen and I miss the frank depiction of Gretchen's depression and I miss Sam and Shitstain and Honeynuts. Maybe that last one will at least get better now that they know she isn't in Europe. Sigh...

Season 4 is definitely my least favorite. I understand why it had to exist, but ...

I think my favorite season four moment is probably Gretchen storming into Jimmy's house, climbing up on the furniture so she can tower over him, and screaming: "... HEY! ... DOT! ... DOT! ... DOT!" 

• Love 3

@kieyra I'm not going to say it was worth all of season 4 because it did needlessly meander but I at least appreciate that Gretchen and Jimmy's estrangement gave us the season 4 finale. I did really enjoy how they got back together in the finale. Actually the last two episodes of the season both had some great moments. Those fights and shouting matches were really raw and realistic. 

• Love 1

I'm almost done with season 5 and I'm having mixed feelings about it. I think the flash forwards were an interesting choice but, for me, they mostly don't work. I like that it's sort of a slow way to say goodbye to the show for the audience to keep seeing these flashes of Jimmy's house empty and that sort of thing. But it feels too much like a mystery. Like you're getting bits of flashback on How to Get Away with Murder before they finally reveal what actually happened at the end of the season. It's needlessly confusing, especially since a lot of the scenes don't look or feel different enough so it takes a while to even recognize that it's distinct from the rest of the episode and supposed to be happening at a different time. 

I guess it feels truthful for Jimmy and Gretchen's relationship to still be complicated instead of just having a season 5 victory lap of happiness and wedding shenanigans. Season 5 has had some of the funniest episodes. I think it has helped to make Edgar and Lindsay secondary characters again. I don't know. I don't think this season is full of brilliant episodes they were planning all along but it's still overall quite good. 

• Love 1

I'm on S5E10. Just because Edgar is written as the supposedly sensitive and empathetic character. But I skimmed enough of the wikipedia page to know how season 5 goes. I feel like this episode actually shows that Edgar isn't always right (at least in my opinion). There's validity in what Jimmy is saying about them being able to be two separate people with their own lives who can come together. The issue is balance. Edgar has been right in the past because Jimmy's been such an extreme jerk. But there are also plenty of times during the series where he's been a good partner or at least found his way there on his own eventually. And Edgar's advice usually pushes Jimmy and Gretchen into a very conservative, heteronormative version of what a good relationship is. Again, his advice was good in the past because Jimmy was fully ignoring Gretchen or running away when things got difficult or cheating. But Edgar has a very limited view of what it means to be in a good relationship. Also, it's not like his love life is so great that he should be giving advice. Edgar's point about the pills Gretchen is stealing is fair. But again, that's one of those extreme things that allows him to be right when his general worldview maybe doesn't fit what works for Jimmy and Gretchen.

• Love 1

In hindsight, I wish Jimmy and Gretchen had spent more time with the good couple (Rachel and Quinn) who resembled them. I didn't care deeply about those characters because they were on the show so briefly but they would have moved things forward in more interesting ways than Boone or even that other dysfunctional couple that Gretchen was stalking. I know they had to disappear before these last few episodes because Jimmy and Gretchen need to have Edgar and Lindsay around to enable their bad behavior (or, in Edgar's case, dramatically try to intervene.) If Rachel had still be on the show, maybe she would have been able to talk Gretchen through a solution to her work crisis between her clients and maybe Quinn would be able to interject as a reasonable third party between Jimmy and Edgar. So they had to go. But I wish they'd stayed longer before they left.

OK, last episode. I still feel like trying to preserve the mystery this season was a mistake. Especially because one of the things reflecting the time jump was relying on the audience noticing a blond man's facial hair. But also, in the flashforward, the actors were so strange. It was like they had just met. They weren't delivering the lines like the characters they've been performing for 5 seasons. Felicity was very cute though. 

I really don't like how the episode tried to validate Edgar's opinion. Yeah, he was right that they didn't get married and were happier for it. But his point was that they were wrong for each other and they shouldn't be a couple. And he was completely wrong in that. I hated seeing his smug face when he finally drove away in the present and also in the flashforward.

I will almost definitely rewatch this episode but skip most of the Edgar scenes. For me, the show ended in a bad place with that character. Also, because things seemed to come way too easily for him when he started to get work as a writer. And added to sanctimonious and judgmental that does not make for a very sympathetic or likable character.

Lindsay's original song didn't need to be in the episode but out of context, I enjoyed it.

I loved that they carried through on the joke that they managed to size down Gretchen's wedding gown from fitting Killian's body to fitting hers in 4 days before the wedding.

Was Tallulah the one with the eye patch? Is there a reason for that that I'm forgetting?

For at least the last two seasons, I have been missing Sam and Shitstain and Honeynutz. I kept thinking they'd suddenly go back to being a bigger part of the show again but they were oddly downgraded yet they were never written off. I also hoped the original Honeynutz would make an appearance in the finale but I assume the actor left because he had other commitments. 

For a show that usually has great music, I hated most of the songs in this finale. The last flashforward montage song in particular... like, oh you think Bob Dylan's voice is annoying? Have you heard THIS guy? Jesus...

Lindsay and Paul ending up together again in the flashforward kind of makes sense and kind of doesn't. The show kept putting them together and splitting them apart. But it wasn't a classic will they/won't they where you understood that they were inevitable. Especially while Lindsay had her stylist job, she seemed perfectly happy without Paul. And it didn't seem like they were growing as individuals so they could be a better match. Lindsay lost her stylist gig and her job in PR. Paul became an MRA/white nationalist and then went through all that nonsense with Becca and Vernon. So it sort of made sense and was cute but I feel like they took a leap to get there. The flashforward scenes helped a little but if I think about the evolution of their relationship from season 1-5, it feels like maybe the writers always wanted them to be together but couldn't really work out why they should be together because they had too much fun writing storylines where they were split up. 

I wasn't sure how I would like the message of this episode. I think they went a little overboard with the screaming matches, but otherwise, it worked for me. It made sense. Through 5 seasons, Jimmy and Gretchen have defied other people's expectations of what they should be doing and carved their own path. Together. Running away from the wedding together felt right. Them ending up at the dinner together was perfect. I'm happy that the very last scene was them at the dinner. The flashforward stuff gave some resolution but it felt weird (also, that terrible song). But the diner was perfect. I will remember the diner. The actors (particularly Geere who got buff at some point) look different from season 1 but that scene of them eating off each other's plates was pure Jimmy and Gretchen.

Or have they always been romantics but were unwilling or unable to admit it to themselves, much less each other?

He was rude and selfish and boorish but I can believe that Jimmy is a closet romantic. The book (series) he was finally able to make a success is a romantic (well, pornographic) epic/love story. And it fits with his backstory. He's always been sensitive and longing for love and attention (mostly from his father). It's just that his sensitivity was mostly channeled into his profession as a writer and his pretentious and exacting tastes. He was also fairly romantic in his first proposal (to Becca). 

Whether or not Gretchen is a romantic is a bigger question. Her bad relationship with her mom was established early. But we only met the Zosia Mamet character and heard about this dream wedding book/video tape recently. I think Gretchen has spent so much time being something other than whoever she really is that it's harder to know things about her as a person. I know how Gretchen will react to things but I can't always say what she likes/dislikes or what she wants. 

It's interesting reading through this thread. I don't understand the love for season 5 Edgar at all. And I'm much more sympathetic towards Gretchen than anyone else. Maybe I need to believe that mental illness doesn't make you unlovable and backsliding doesn't mean you're irrevocably broken and nonfunctional.

And as much as I love Edgar, and am happy to have him be the stable force that he has been this season, that was such an incredible dick move for him to pull. He litteraly started off the morning publicly encouraging them to kiss with Lindsay. If he's come to this realization, even if he's hoped Jimmy or Gretchen would realize it themselves, dropping that bomb in the manner he did is earth-shattering for anyone. In Jimmy's perception it's as much a betrayal as he previously pulled on Gretchen, which he's only recently come to acknowledge.

It was crazy manipulative for Edgar to plan that whole day to convince Jimmy to make the choice that Edgar wanted. He used everything he knows about Jimmy to methodically plan a day that would psychologically fuck with him.

that said, I wish they actively sought therapy and otherwise tried to fix themselves.

Even shows that are relatively good at showing mental illness in some way seem to flop with therapy. Because it's difficult to write properly? Or because if the character gets better where's the show? Idk. First Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and now You're The Worst. I think this is different from a show where a therapist is written into the show from the beginning like Monk. 

I think maybe if they had just dropped some sort of extra hint in there that Lindsay felt pressure from other people to try to be independent or something, in spite of her genuinely wanting to just stay with Paul, that would at least have made sense.

Even with all the nonsense they've gone through, I think there was an argument to be made for Paul and Lindsay. I just don't think the show bothered to plant the seeds all that well. For instance, by the time of the flashforward, Lindsay has had more than one job and she's learned how to live alone and do things for herself. Paul already has a baby and Lindsay was great at all the mom skills (in the prenatal class) but she always balked at actually having a baby. So things have changed and some issues were fixed. But it needed to be clear that those were the blocks preventing them from being together before even though they loved each other. 

I'm not buying that Gretchen would give up drinking for any period of time just because Jimmy dared her to, either.

This was the weirdest one to me. It would make more sense for her to occasionally tell Jimmy she needed time to herself and check into a hotel... especially to keep Felicity from seeing her in one of her worse depressive spirals.

I did love Edgar's resolve though, and his stubborn insistence on waiting for Jimmy, just in case. 

I thought it was a dick move to not respect someone's decision and then to haunt the wedding venue like a gargoyle. It wasn't passive. It was passive aggressive. It put pressure on everyone knowing that he was out there. If they had gotten married, he would have just been out there putting a damper on their wedding day. I mean, really, that's what he did. 

• Love 1

I'm watching this show now, just watched ep 3.3. Since the beginning I've swung from this is an awful show and get close to quitting to really loving it.

I really enjoyed season 2 a ton but so far season 3 not so much. I read the old show threads and agree with the comments there- it is mostly- Lindsay with Paul and the gross knife wound is just gross and not funny.

Lindsay motorboating  a kid- again gross, inappropriate, and not funny. 

The jokes with the other pregnant sister guzzling wine like meh.

I don't find stories where the therapy is unrealistic and with no boundaries that great, although I could tolerate it to an extent. It's just irritating.

The good- out of nowhere Vernon has become one of my favourite characters. 

I will give it a long leash but not sure how much gross wound humour I can take.

• Love 1