Type keyword(s) to search

You're The Worst - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, scrb said:

How did Becca know Jimmy?

She’s Lindsay’s sister and Lindsay is best friends with Gretchen, who started dating Jimmy.

Isn’t that how all these people came to know each other?

Also the way Vernon and Becca have been depicted throughout the series as shallow, petty, status-obsessed, competitive people seem at odds with them looking to connect with each other in a deeper way or being compassionate to Paul.

They lorded their apparent success over Lindsay and others.  I don’t think these miserable, shabby, misbehaving people particularly needed to find some kind of happiness.

Jimmy and Gretchen met at Vernon and Becca's wedding. Jimmy and Becca had dated and I think he'd actually proposed to her? Lindsay brought Gretchen to the wedding, and she and Jimmy hooked up.

• Love 3

At the wedding, Jimmy whispered something in Becca’s ear that shook her.  Later it was revealed he said “we haven’t screwed for the last time,” which is a pretty cold thing to say to a bride on her wedding day.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yes, Jimmy proposed to Becca (seen in a flashback at the end of season 1), and she turned him down - but did invite him to her wedding. He and Gretchen hooked up after Vernon threw him out and she stole a wedding present. "Me and fat Lindsay are hella close," Gretchen tells him ungrammatically in the pilot, when he asks why she was there and she says she's Becca's sister's best friend.

While we're wrapping up characters' stories, I really hope Killian makes a final appearance.

Edited by wendyg
  • Love 2

Looks like we really are wrapping everything up, even with Vernon/Paul/Becca apparently getting some closure, and starting anew. Its all super weird, and I still dont really like Vernon and Becca, but I found the episode to be oddly affecting. The event they were at seemed fun, and there were some moments that actually seemed quite profound. I mean, also with hookers and gross three ways, but still.

I am happy for Paul, who I often feel bad for, even when he acts like a dick. Still less of a dick than most people on this show. 

I just want to know what happens with Jimmy and Gretchen!

• Love 1

I really don't find these Paul/Vernon-centric episodes necessary. 

You know, in that last episode, we saw that Lindsey had a ring on her finger, right? I'm kind of wondering if they're going to somehow have her end up with Edgar after all. I know it seemed like it gave them closure by having them split in that recent episode, but It's hard for me to see how they could introduce some random guy for her to marry in the next five episodes and have that be a satisfying ending.

And this episode seemed to be a way to wrap up the story for the three other semi-regular characters all at once by just throwing them together in a polyamorous union as a joke, so I can kinda see them just pairing off Lindsey and Edgar in the end as well. Because I never really understood why they hooked them up last season in the first place, and to have them just end it like this feels odd to me.

• Love 2

I found the pair of them just distasteful. (which I suppose was the point!) but not funny at all. I was more interested in finding out what had happened to Jimmy and Gretchen. The whole Paul/fertility storyline makes me feel a bit ill.

Did anyone think the threesome scene was a shout out to the Handmaid's tale? (The positioning, the color of her negligee, and the fact that no one got their kit off. Becca was the one in the position of power there though....

• Love 1

Yup, I've been slow binging or catching up on Handmaid's Tale, so that was definitely a thing.

But of course in this case, all 3 participants seemed into it whereas in HT, it's definitely dysfunctional (well so was this scene really) but an expression of how screwed up and tyrannical Gilead was.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, scrb said:

How did Becca know Jimmy

Becca and Jimmy were originally engaged which is how Lindsey knew him. I can’t remember why they broke up though.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:39 AM, whiporee said:

I thought the episode was good and nice and pleasant right until the end when Gretchen and Jimmy walked in, because I remembered that they are the reason for the show. They brought more energy in 10 seconds than the other three did in 34 minutes

I totally agree, that was the best part of the episode for me. I don’t mind Becca, Vernon or Paul really, but I would much prefer to see small amounts of them more frequently than all jammed into one episode. I find the show works best as a true ensemble with the characters outside of the main four to be sprinkled in organically (such as these three or Sam and his crew.) 

• Love 1

So what happened in the middle of the sex - it looked like Vernon stepped in to help Paul? Were we supposed to think that Paul got soft, and Vernon jerked him off until he got hard again?

(And yes, I feel dirty for having written that.)

I liked this episode - particularly the scene with Gilly telling Paul that there's no waste in the universe - up until the threesome happened. It seemed like the writers wanted it to be shocking, gross, and weirdly touching at the same time.

And I'm sorry, but there's nothing touching about watching someone with low self esteem get suckered into continuing an emotionally abusive relationship with two horrid people.

• Love 1

Ah, ummmmm, Paul slipped .... out in the middle of the "lovemaking." Vernon was gentlemanly enough to, ummmm, help him back in.  Because that's what you do when someone else is screwing your wife while you masturbate and watch while over her head. 

Weirdly touching is a great way to describe it. You gotta give'em all props for that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

When I realized this would be a Paul/Vernon/Becca bottle episode (ish), my first thought was: "Okay, what's the weirdest thing they can have these three do? Oh yeah, end up in a thrupple."

But I never saw the Handmaid's Tale thing coming, so I was screaming while watching from behind my hand.

Full credit.

• LOL 1

Laugh out loud funny during the confession time. Just plain hilarious. 

But the look on Jimmy's face ... that would be tough. But I do wonder what Edgar meant by "not for fun." 

Aya Cash is just amazing. Every little expression she makes -- the subtle little things she brings to Gretchen really blow me away. I don't know if she'll ever get the credit for this job she deserves -- it's not enough on the radar to win awards. But there hasn't been an actress on a comedy or a drama who has done the jobs she has. 

• Love 3

When they were taunting Vernon about being a cuck, I thought someone would blurt out that Jimmy sucked a dick.

Then it was he himself who admitted it.

Somehow he got off way easy compared to Vernon.

I don't know the fake death as a prank seems like the plot for a movie.  So they staged something which caused Jimmy and Gretchen great emotional distress.  After the prank is revealed, they're grateful that their friends went to great lengths to stage this thing?

Figuratively shitting in your pants is some kind of thrill?  A great gift?  Eh, cash would have been better as wedding gifts.

(edited)

I knew something had to be off about the massacre, because this is not THAT gruesome of a show (almost, but not quite). But I really didn't get that the whole thing was staged, either, until they revealed it. Jimmy and Gretchen loving it explains, once again, why they are a good match, though.

The idea of Gretchen OR Jimmy as a parent scares me.

I liked and was surprised that Edgar admitted he was lying and hated the script, and Jimmy accepted this and hired him to fix it. Also, liked and was surprised that Edgar told Jimmy about Gretchen stealing the pills.

No one believing the story about the threesome was the actual funniest part of the episode for me.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, scrb said:

I don't know the fake death as a prank seems like the plot for a movie.  So they staged something which caused Jimmy and Gretchen great emotional distress.  After the prank is revealed, they're grateful that their friends went to great lengths to stage this thing?

Doesn't Gretch get off on this weirdness....the murder trail Jimmy "invented" for her before he proposed (you can still smell the blood!), wanting to die via being "sex murdered," etc. They gave her exactly what she (thinks) she loves!! Pretty awesome, because I bought into the entire scheme.

The "important questions" scene and their opposite answers (sigh....) these two are a beautiful disaster. 

Vulture recap: https://tv.avclub.com/revelations-murder-and-paul-f-tompkins-star-in-youre-1833114639

• Love 5

Also, didn't they love that extreme haunted house from s2's Spooky Sunday Funday?

I loved the whole climax of the prank. Amazing. (I would never ever want my friends to put me through anything like that, of course.)

• Love 5
6 hours ago, arc said:

Also, didn't they love that extreme haunted house from s2's Spooky Sunday Funday?

I loved the whole climax of the prank. Amazing. (I would never ever want my friends to put me through anything like that, of course.)

I once mentioned to my girls that I’d never had a surprise party. When they finally threw me one, I didn’t take it well AT ALL 😂😭

• LOL 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, scrb said:

Figuratively shitting in your pants is some kind of thrill?  A great gift?  Eh, cash would have been better as wedding gifts.

That's sort of the MO of this entire show ... all the characters like being shitty to each other, and then laughing at it. The one saving grace, I guess, is that they each have been the target at various times, so at least it's equal opportunity.

17 hours ago, Jade Foxx said:

The "important questions" scene and their opposite answers (sigh....) these two are a beautiful disaster. 

Yeah, no matter how amusing various bits get, the show always has an anvil like this one. It's like watching the passengers on the Titanic having fun before the iceberg.

And then Edgar tells Jimmy about the pills ... oy. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved the names on the backs of all the shirts:

Gretchen - Emotionally Stunted Ginger

Jimmy - Pompous Albino Brit

Edgar - PTS Dummy

Lindsay - Walking Hormone

Vern - Carrot Doc

Becca - Insect with Boobs

Paul - Alive Roger Ebert

Thanks for that.  I didn't make out the shirts in the episode.  Those are so very accurate and hysterical!

18 hours ago, possibilities said:

I knew something had to be off about the massacre, because this is not THAT gruesome of a show (almost, but not quite). But I really didn't get that the whole thing was staged, either, until they revealed it. Jimmy and Gretchen loving it explains, once again, why they are a good match, though.

I figured it out as soon as Paul F. Thompkins stabbed Vern in the neck.  It was a bit more extreme, but it reminded me of season 3 (I think?) where Jimmy set up a murder-mystery for Gretchen. 

17 hours ago, Jade Foxx said:

Doesn't Gretch get off on this weirdness....the murder trail Jimmy "invented" for her before he proposed (you can still smell the blood!), wanting to die via being "sex murdered," etc. They gave her exactly what she (thinks) she loves!! Pretty awesome, because I bought into the entire scheme.

Or, this.  Lol.  I started my responses before I saw this post. 

• Love 1

I thought that Edgar was going to admit that he'd never read the script - not that he didn't like it. I'm glad he was willing to tell him the truth, though.

I have a hard time believing that Jimmy would give Edgar credit as a co-writer. Does he really respect Edgar that much as a writer that he'd believe that Edgar is the solution to his script problems?

I have to wonder if the reason Gretchen is stealing Edgar's drugs isn't to get high, but rather to stockpile them so that she'll have enough for a suicide by overdose? (Not that I think she'll kill herself, but I could see her wanting to have the option.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I have to wonder if the reason Gretchen is stealing Edgar's drugs isn't to get high, but rather to stockpile them so that she'll have enough for a suicide by overdose? (Not that I think she'll kill herself, but I could see her wanting to have the option.)

I don't think she's using his drugs to get high but to try to control her increasing anxiety. I think she recognizes that she isn't okay and is trying to self medicate in an attempt to prevent another major depressive episode. Logically we know that she should go to a doctor to get her own meds but by stealing Edgar's meds, she doesn't have to admit to Jimmy or anyone that it's happening aka acknowledge that it's real.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I cracked up at the one group at the brunch place who was watching everyone chanting Sunday Funday (better than a Monday!) as the gang went on the bus with super confused looks on their faces. 

Jimmy and Gretchen are such a great match in so many ways, like thinking that their friends making them think they killed Paul F. Thomkins is hilarious, but also are possibly incompatible in other ways. I mean, can you picture Jimmy and Gretchen having kids? Together? Really, these arent deal breakers, or at least they're things that can be discussed, but Jimmy and Gretchen suck at communication, and Gretchen is seemingly looking for any excuse to bolt, so this is definitely going to be a problem. 

Those shirts were hilarious. Walking Hormone for Lindsay might be my favorite. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Never would have guessed Lindsay and Gretchen's boss would have been any kind of match.

What made Edgar finally gain confidence and equanimity, I wonder?

Gretchen really should have listened to the track before the day of the event.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Jade Foxx said:

And Jimmy - who that bitch?

She's the florist. Same shoulder tattoo. I was reading a bit about the flashforwards and Aya Cash was saying that they are meant to be worrying, and Stephen Falk was really concerned about "sticking the landing". So, I want to believe this is all a fake-out and I hope things will turn out great, but in the meantime, yeah, these flashforwards are really bumming me out. I mean, it's not like there's any reason to believe Jimmy's a better match with the florist ("Mariah" in the credits) than with Gretch.

I did really like the (sudden) evolution of Edgar and Jimmy's relationship.

Honeynutz 2 is super funny. I have no particular fondness for methed out Soundcloud rappers in general or Nock Nock in particular but also I feel like they're trying too hard with that character. Or maybe that really is how methed out Soundcloud rappers are like. I wouldn't know, I'm old.

• Love 3

As soon as I saw Gretchen smoking up on the cherry picker, I knew she was going to set off the smoke alarm so I got confused when she was later still trying to figure out which version of the song to play.

I like that Edgar no longer feels the need to be deferential to Jimmy. I hope this takes their friendship to a more equal place.

I feel like the flash forward with Jimmy and the florist is a flakeout. They said they were going to a wedding, but since she's a florist maybe it's just one of her clients.

The florist gave Jimmy a BJ.

Gretchen made Jimmy give a BJ.

The florist is young and pretty and doesn’t have the serious emotional problems that Gretchen has — as far as we know.

But Jimmy is going to end up with Gretchen because why?  Because of true love?

Or he’s as emotionally screwed up as she is?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, scrb said:

Or he’s as emotionally screwed up as she is?

Oh, he definitely is very screwed up. He ghosted her right after proposing to her! And even in this season, he proposed Fuck Week rather than just come clean up front about the florist.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, arc said:

Oh, he definitely is very screwed up. He ghosted her right after proposing to her! And even in this season, he proposed Fuck Week rather than just come clean up front about the florist.

I think Gretchen is way more screwed up. Consider that Jimmy has grown up lots since he ghosted her, which was a while back. Jimmy seems to have started living as an adult in the real world. He doesn't like some aspects of it, and he is hanging on to the "who gives a fuck" vibe that he and Gretchen have always enjoyed, but he recognizes that a lot of debt, or self destructive behavior, or self medicating, is bad. Gretchen doesn't, or if she does, she doesn't care or can't stop herself.

Jimmy's proposal of fuck week was him trying to guess what would make Gretchen happy AND the result of his growing conscience. I'm sure Old Jimmy would have been more than OK with never telling Gretchen it happened. But New Jimmy felt like he should, and then he tried to figure out what would upset HER least and absolve himself.

Gretchen, meanwhile, had a very simple choice to make at the show: Introduce Nock-Nock and potentially make her other client mad, or don't introduce him. And, given that her boss knows and expects Nock-Nock's debut and has said that this is on Gretchen, the choice was clear: You intro Nock-Nock (who is, as a bonus, considered talented) and you try to smooth over your other client in a number of ways.. What's the worst that happens? You discard an old, struggling client for a new, hot one?

It wasn't a hard choice. And yet, Gretchen couldn't make it. She is very screwed up. Jimmy, who actually showed for her big event (another sign of maturing), is much less screwed up.

As far as I am concerned, if this ends with Jimmy with the florist and Gretchen in a ditch, I'm good. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Lots to like in that episode. Some stuff I didn't.

Lindesy's "changing for a man" thing is a new character trait that just hasn't been there before. They could have had her give her speech without her having to dress the part, but it would have taken away the always hot removing-someone's-glasses scene. I did see how her driven boss would be attracted to Lindsey's goofy earnestness, though.  But just wanting to be loved really isn't a trait of Lindsey's -- if it was, she could have just stayed with Paul either time. 

Jimmy and Edgar were cute. Jimmy's growing up -- i think he's been liberated by the second book, and by his father's death. That happens sometimes. And I actually kind of agreed with Jimmy about needing separation between a couple, but Edgar had a point, too. 

Gretch was put in a tough spot, but it was one of her own creation because she's the one who put Sam and Nok Nok together. The fire alarm wasn't the best answer, but it wasn't the worst. 

Definitely headed towards the end. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, whiporee said:

Lindesy's "changing for a man" thing is a new character trait that just hasn't been there before.

Wasn't that the whole point of her relationship with Paul? She was trying to be what he wanted, and it didn't work?

I feel like Gretchen has told Lindsay before that L changes for men. Going all the way back to the first Sunday Funday, when Silverlake-y hipster Lindsay becomes a Westside rich wife. Though tbf she ended up realizing she didn't mind being a Westside but she hated being Paul's wife. Then the show did another round of it when Lindsay tried to appreciate all of Paul's hobbies.

1 hour ago, whiporee said:

I think that was a lot more of Paul changing for Lindsey -- ie letting himself be cuckholded -- than her changing for him. 

I’m talking about several seasons ago, not this season. 

So, with Wednesday's flash forward with Jimmy and the florist, there appeared to be toys in the backseat of the car? And Jimmy appears to be wearing the same outfit and shoes for the future wedding as in his other flash forwards (with the house for sale and then the movers taking the DVD machine out) only sans jacket. I need to see how this all wraps up, dammnit! 

On 3/17/2019 at 10:33 AM, tennisgurl said:

I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT THESE FLASHES MEAN DAMN IT!

Avid watcher since day one.

I cannot tell you how much Jimmy and Gretch's relationship stresses ME out!! LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

S5.E11: Four Goddamn More Days

Gretchen maintains an elaborate act of deception while Jimmy prepares for the big day.

Promo:

Clips:

Jimmy and Gretchen's wedding playlist:

Gretchen's new office:

No notes:

Edgar the narc:

Original air date: 3/20/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo