Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

On 2/16/2023 at 10:43 PM, Bastet said:

Including with my favorite greeting of all time:  "Who died now?"

And yet she still didn't get out of bed. I really do love that ep. More than many people's favourite Darrin Morgans Clyde Bruckman's and Jose Chung's. 

Speaking of the Morgans, my family has been discussing end of life care with a great aunt and it unexpected brought up a lot of "Home Again" for me, so I rewatched. ;) (X-Files as a way to process emotions, who knew?!, well me.) 

I really wonder about Scully and Maggie's relationship over the last few years. Surely she should have told her doctor daughter that she had reached a stage where when the time came, she was ready to go with no extraordinary measures? I realise that this is the theme of the ep and no one in the show talks about emotional matters unless they're dying and even then....

The quarter is less of a concern for me (though there are several good fics with explorations) but I guess the point has really been hammered home to me that talking with family members about what you want to happen is incredibly important for a number of reasons, especially so you don't have what ended up happening in this ep. Maggie and Dana lived close to each other, did they ever actually talk post IWTB? 

I realise that isn't the actual point or even theme of the episode but bugged. 

It also sucked that Maggie Scully died potentially estranged from 2 of her remaining kids whilst the other was in Germany and was probably not a frequent visitor. 

Scully family dynamics are fascinating in a way. A "normal" family who were all about Country and Church  from the outside ended up as screwed up as the Mulder/Spenders and only some of that can be blamed on the X-Files.

“The X-Files” – Ryan Coogler Developing a New Take on the Series?

Carter teases during the conversation that was just uploaded this week, “I just spoke to a young man… Ryan Coogler… who is going to remount The X-Files with a diverse cast. So he’s got his work cut out for him, because we covered so much territory.”

I wonder if the animated series mentioned in the article has just been delayed because of the pandemic or cancelled altogether. There were a few episodes in the revival that I enjoyed, but it was generally a disappointment so at this point if they do bring the show back in some form I think I'd be more interested in seeing what someone else does with it rather than getting more from Carter.

Edited by krankydoodle
On 3/28/2023 at 3:58 PM, krankydoodle said:

“The X-Files” – Ryan Coogler Developing a New Take on the Series?

I wonder if the animated series mentioned in the article has just been delayed because of the pandemic or cancelled altogether. There were a few episodes in the revival that I enjoyed, but it was generally a disappointment so at this point if they do bring the show back in some form I think I'd be more interested in seeing what someone else does with it rather than getting more from Carter.

Honestly, I enjoyed pretty much every episode of the revival that WASN'T a Chris Carter episode. I wish that guy had let loose the reins a bit and let other writers in to see what they could do.  There's a couple generations of writers influenced by the X-Files that undoubtedly would have had fresh takes on the show and catching up with the characters.  

• Like 1

The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time
By Daniel D'Addario, Kate Aurthur, Clayton Davis, Selome Hailu, Alison Herman, Emily Longeretta, Jennifer Maas, Joe Otterson, Michael Schneider, Jazz Tangcay, Aramide Tinubu, Adam B. Vary    Dec 20, 2023
https://variety.com/lists/greatest-tv-shows-of-all-time/ 

38  The X-FIles
Fox
1993-2002/2016-18

Let’s be clear: Your imagination has to be very large to appreciate the world of “The X-Files.” But thanks to David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson (and their undeniable chemistry), fans hung on to every surreal and fantastical thing Mulder and Scully said. Balancing a rich (if eventually frustrating) mythology with its famous “Monster of the Week” episodes — and balancing Duchovny’s true believer with Anderson’s perpetually shocked skeptic, “The X-Files” was a canny, glossy mixture of FBI work with the endless possibilities of the universe. It worked well enough to last nine seasons, two movies and another two seasons in revival, and many fans still believe the truth is out there.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1