Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

The X-Files

5 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Which Scully completely ignored while continuing to check him for head trauma. Bahahahaha.

He is head trauma. < 3

• Laugh 2

21 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Which Scully completely ignored while continuing to check him for head trauma. Bahahahaha.

And Scully the medical doctor checks for head trauma by repeatedly running her hands through his hair. Nice job Scully.

I also love Rain King but I feel like I shouldn’t because man it’s almost poorly written fan fiction come to life. David And Gillian are a treasure.

Mulder’s glee reaction shot when Scully first gets mistaken for his wife (because he knows she’ll hate it.) Scully's disbelief when she finds out Mulder’s giving out love advice. It’s all amazing.

• Laugh 1

15 minutes ago, MissL said:

And Scully the medical doctor checks for head trauma by repeatedly running her hands through his hair. Nice job Scully.

I also love Rain King but I feel like I shouldn’t because man it’s almost poorly written fan fiction come to life. David And Gillian are a treasure.

Mulder’s glee reaction shot when Scully first gets mistaken for his wife (because he knows she’ll hate it.) Scully's disbelief when she finds out Mulder’s giving out love advice. It’s all amazing.

Ha ha ha, right? I'm sitting here cackling to myself all over again. It's just so much fun. It's utterly ridiculous and so over-the-top and none of it should work, and yet somehow it just does.

"A man. Controlling. The weather."

2 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

It's utterly ridiculous and so over-the-top and none of it should work, and yet somehow it just does.

"I brought you a leg."

Yes, "Rain King" is an episode that succeeds in spite of itself.  Between Scully and Mulder having to share a motel room and strangers commenting on/making assumptions about their relationship, it is indeed fucking fanfic.  And, as I mentioned, Victoria Jackson.  Sheila is a drip, so it's not even like Jackson transcends her usual level of crap, and the "happy ending means marriage and baby" trope is in no less need of killing here as it is elsewhere.  There's this horrible nice guy entitlement vibe, that Sheila has to return Holman's feelings (no surprise, since it was written by the guy who wrote the horrifically sexist "Alpha"), but Holman not being among those who behave that way mitigates it.

But there's so much else to make me laugh.  For example, every single second of Scully's reactions to Kroner, its residents, and Mulder; Gillian slays it in this episode. 

It benefits from being in season six, which is much like season four to me -- it has episodes I love, but also a whole lot I don't give a shit about.  So the ones I like, I like even more than I would in a better season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

"I brought you a leg."

That, and "[Cindy] said I'd have to crawl back to her" are truly LOL moments for me. Haaaaaaahahahaha.

"Why are you always in a mood?"

"Because nothing ever changes."

Monday is such a fantastic episode. Tithonus as well. I tear up every time watching these two.

• Like 1

I had to build myself up to watch Sein und Zeit and Closure. I know people hate these episodes because they hate the way the Samantha arc ended, but personally I can't imagine a more powerful ending to her story. "I'm fine. I'm....free" gives me chills every single time. I sob my way through the entire scene where Mulder follows Harold's son and sees all the kids playing happily every time.

"They did more tests today, but not the horrible kind. I was awake and they made me lay still... while they shined lights in my eyes. They asked me questions, but I always lie now and tell them what they want to hear, just to make them stop. I hate them and I hate the way they treat me... like I'm an old suitcase they can just drag around and open up whenever they want to."

^ Those lines from Samantha's diary just really struck me this time. Gaaaahhhhh.

It's a good thing I came to really like John Doggett, because some of these S8 episodes are painfully bad. Ugh.

I actually don't mind the mytharc eps that much. It's the MotW's which are killing me. They're just so stupid. Patience and Roadrunners made no sense whatsoever, and I remember thinking Invocation was really dumb too (it's next).

I guess it's because I haven't endlessly rewatched S8 and beyond the way I have earlier seasons, but I can't believe I never picked up on the metal guy in Salvage being able to "rebirth" himself exactly the way the Supersoldiers and/or Alien Replicants later can (Not!Dead Billy Miles and your spinning metal spine, I'm looking at you). It's not listed as a mytharc episode, but it's too damn identical to what we see happen later to be a coincidence IMO.

Also, now that we've exhausted the Consortium and Teena Mulder mytharc eps, I am absolutely 100% convinced that she knew what was going on with Samantha's disappearance all along - both before and after Samantha was taken - and now outranks her husband as one of the Big Bads in my mind. Not necessarily for going along with the plan, because I think in the beginning they really did believe this was the only way to help save the human race, but for lying to Mulder all these years and let him drive himself insane chasing after the sister that she knew was dead. I hope she rots in hell.

Almost finished with S9 of my rewatch (and just in time, as I've been getting notifications that the episodes are being taken off amazon prime in a couple of days). I remembered liking Audrey Pauley, one of the few Doggett/Reyes centric episodes I do like, but this time around I found I've liked more of the S9 episodes than I remembered before, but less of the S8. Strange.

In the middle of Improbable right now. This is such a bizarre episode, LOL, but I've always found this exchange really powerful --

"You know, there's a secret to this game, Wayno, and I'm going to tell you what that secret is......choose better."

"You got something to say to me, you say it."

"Son, I just did."