Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, cmpbl said:

Of course Tonya won. Anne told her exactly what to cook and how. 😣

Team Alex 😁

Based on how last year's finale went, Tonya will get the same amount of hand-holding next week, too.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I wish that people wouldn't be so judgemental of Tonya Harding.  Sure, she's made some poor choices over the years, but it's never been made clear what her involvement in Nancy Kerrigan's attack was.  She was the victim of a highly abusive emotional relationship with her mother; a physically and emotionally abusive relationship with her husband; she was not well educated; her life revolved around the highly competitive world of figure skating; and she was vilified, negatively compared, and mocked due to background and particularly physique compared to Kerrigan, America's darling Princess, with her long limbs and pretty features.

Sorry, rant over.

Nancy Kerrigan also grew up in an emotionally chaotic lower middle class background the image she projected was just different.

I haven’t seen Tonya taking any accountability for any actions and constantly blame and whine about her treatment so I have no real desire to root for this latest incarnation which is more like version 4.5 or 5 not 2. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I wish that people wouldn't be so judgemental of Tonya Harding.  Sure, she's made some poor choices over the years, but it's never been made clear what her involvement in Nancy Kerrigan's attack was.  She was the victim of a highly abusive emotional relationship with her mother; a physically and emotionally abusive relationship with her husband; she was not well educated; her life revolved around the highly competitive world of figure skating; and she was vilified, negatively compared, and mocked due to background and particularly physique compared to Kerrigan, America's darling Princess, with her long limbs and pretty features.

Sorry, rant over.

I respectfully disagree. 

People are responsible for their choices. Even if their childhoods were imperfect.

• Love 12

When I first started watching this season, I thought maybe I was being unfair to Tonya (spelled correctly!), so I did some Googling around and found this piece from the NY Times, which felt very evenhanded to me.  I knew before reading that a lot of the reaction to Harding was based on class, and since I'm someone from a blue-collar background, I didn't want to be class-biased against her.  I feel sorry for what she went through, and it's inspiring to see a person transcend her upbringing, but I don't think she genuinely takes responsibility or expresses true remorse for what was done to a competitor in her name and what she pled to a felony charge for actually doing herself.  I think she got away with being more involved than she ever admitted to.  Do I think she needs to be a whipping boy for the rest of her life for what happened decades ago?  No, of course not.  But do I think she's entitled to eternal celebrity and to having a job in show business and being on TV regardless of having or not having any talent for it?  No.  I don't want to keep seeing these efforts to make Tonya Harding happen and happen again.  She's had plenty of time to find another career and train herself to do it.  I wish she would.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

No.  I don't want to keep seeing these efforts to make Tonya Harding happen and happen again.  She's had plenty of time to find another career and train herself to do it.  I wish she would.

I agree.  TOnya Harding pled guilty to the FELONY of hindering prosecution of a crime.   She was given probation.   I HATE that she's on this show, and they keep making jokes about skating, and triple axels, etc. I hate the portrayal of her as a poor misunderstood victim, the attempts at re-branding her as a nice normal person.   Her mother was mean to her?  Sorry, but big freakin' deal.  Adults do not get excused from crimes because their parents were emotionally abusive.  Lots of people had worse childhoods and still refrained from committing felonies.  

• Love 13

I was hoping for an Alec/Jim final two.  Even if I had never heard of Tonya Harding, I wouldn't have thought she deserved to be in the finale just based on overall performance.  It's been pretty obvious that she's been Anne's choice all along and I can't imagine why.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I agree.  TOnya Harding pled guilty to the FELONY of hindering prosecution of a crime.   She was given probation.   I HATE that she's on this show, and they keep making jokes about skating, and triple axels, etc. I hate the portrayal of her as a poor misunderstood victim, the attempts at re-branding her as a nice normal person.   Her mother was mean to her?  Sorry, but big freakin' deal.  Adults do not get excused from crimes because their parents were emotionally abusive.  Lots of people had worse childhoods and still refrained from committing felonies.  

Agreed a million times. I have said this before and I will say it again. Stop making her a “thing!” Sheesh. 

• Love 6

The other thing about this that grates is that I really like Anne as a chef. Grrr. So I hate how she has taken TH under her wing. Maybe I should look at it as "Anne is the far better person than I." Which is true--but I'm just whiny & thinking less of Anne which makes me sad.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, mlp said:

I was hoping for an Alec/Jim final two.  Even if I had never heard of Tonya Harding, I wouldn't have thought she deserved to be in the finale just based on overall performance.  It's been pretty obvious that she's been Anne's choice all along and I can't imagine why.

Every season Anne seems to get fixated on someone in her team to the point that it seems like no matter what they do they'll make it to the finale.  Tyler's decisions feel more objective to me.  I have no real evidence of that but I've felt this way for seasons now, not just because of Tonya.

My husband said perhaps Anne was afraid of what might happen to her if she didn't choose Tonya, LOL.  He said it in jest but I got his point.  I was alive and clued into the situation with her and Nancy Kerrigan as it was happening and I still don't believe Tonya's version of the story.  So count me in as one that doesn't think she should have been put on this show in the first place much less make it to the finale when it's clear that she doesn't deserve to be there.  It's even worse because Jim seems like such a nice, deserving guy.  His most recent offerings were better than Tonya's and his overall demeanor inspires more confidence.  The fact that Anne makes such a big deal about being able to have confidence in the person that represents her makes me think even more that choosing Tonya was based on reasons other than talent.  Even in this episode Tonya was bumbling around like it was week 2.

Anyway, I like Alec and hope he wins.  I think some of his theatrics are just that and not a reflection on his ability in the kitchen.

• Love 11

Amen to every bit of that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.  I remember the scandal well and I never did think Tonya was the naive innocent she claimed to be.  And I liked Jim a lot.

I had never heard of Alec before this show but I ended up liking him despite his goofy theatrics.  I really, really hope he wins.

• Love 7

I realized a few weeks ago that I had come to really enjoy Jim.  I found him funny, charming and entertaining.  I wish someone would give him his own show!  Now that he is gone I will have to force myself to watch the finale.

• Love 14

I totally disagree with Anne. Far from being the "best" class of recruits ever, I thought this year's motley crew was the worst I've seen. That's why (coaching aside) that Tonya made it to the finale. I thought that of all the contestants on the red team, Tonya seemed to make the most improvements over the weeks and she appeared to be very gritty and determined once she got past the crying. She seemed to take direction fairly well, but again, she had a LOT of proverbial hand-holding from Anne.

I also agree that each season, Anne hones in on one contestant (both on the celebrity and "regular Joe" editions) and grooms them to represent her in the finale. That precedent was set the very first season with Joshie. I could tell that this time it was Tonya from practically the very first episode. 

I liked Jim better and he had a much more sophisticated palate than Tonya, but Anne remarked several times that with Jim, "the wheels fall off the bus." That is pretty much a death knell for any contestant on the red team. Alec seems like too much of a scatterbrain to excel and I was truly surprised that Tyler chose him over Kim. Well, I guess a broken clock is right at least twice at day. Tyler had very slim pickin's on his team, as well. 

I don't hate Tonya. If she wins fair and square, then I guess, good for her. I am really curious to know what charity she is representing. But, like others have said, I'm tired of her futile attempts at reinventing herself over the years and her publicist (or whomever) trying to make Tonya "happen." 

• Love 3

I liked this program when contestants were taught to cook. Now I feel they always try to do too much slapstick comedy.

Anne is a great chef, but she seems to be a difficult person when she loses.

• Love 5
On 5/6/2019 at 3:37 PM, Gummo said:

I think it's the other way 'round:

If you're a vegan who object to handling animal protein, you don't go on a cooking competition show that features animal protein. It's the height of celebrity all-about-me-ism to think they should revamp the entire game just for you.

I agree.

alsomher attitude from the very beginning was like “ I am here just to see if somebody gives me a role in a real movie”.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:36 PM, CharlizeCat said:

I also agree that each season, Anne hones in on one contestant (both on the celebrity and "regular Joe" editions) and grooms them to represent her in the finale. That precedent was set the very first season with Joshie. I could tell that this time it was Tonya from practically the very first episode. 

Yes, and it seems like the show is too blatant with it this season.  Tonya must have a great PR team, who put this together, made whatever deals they had to make, and Anne is in on it.  Right form the start, Anne is making references to skating, in a very positive way, helping with the storyline -  poor, misunderstood Tonya, everybody's victim!  It's pathetic, and my opinion of Anne B has gone WAAAAY down after seeing her participate in this.   

• Love 4

I don’t think it’s that Tonya is misunderstood as much as it is that her punishment for what she and her bully boys did to Nancy is so much harsher than anything that’s ever been dished out to a male sports figure.  She had her sport taken away FOR LIFE. It hasn’t happened to that many people. I don’t blame her for trying to reinvent herself, and she has every right to try to do so. 

That being said, I was hoping Jim would win.

• Love 10
(edited)

Tonya wins and then immediately says "And this time I'll say it was me, I did it!" And everyone laughs and claps like she isn't admitting that she committed an awful crime.

Gross.

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I don’t think it’s that Tonya is misunderstood as much as it is that her punishment for what she and her bully boys did to Nancy is so much harsher than anything that’s ever been dished out to a male sports figure.  She had her sport taken away FOR LIFE. It hasn’t happened to that many people. I don’t blame her for trying to reinvent herself, and she has every right to try to do so. 

If she were a man, she would have gone to jail. She was allowed to compete after the incident.

• Love 2

Well, crap.  Clearly the fix was in as we suspected all along.  Tonya's history notwithstanding, she shouldn't have won.  Her dessert tart didn't look good and her lamb chops were very obviously overdone.  The Chopped judges would have sent her packing for that alone.  The only positive outcome AFAIC is that St. Jude's got a nice donation.  My youngest was a St. Jude's kid and I can attest that it's a wonderful organization.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, mlp said:

Well, crap.  Clearly the fix was in as we suspected all along.  Tonya's history notwithstanding, she shouldn't have won.  Her dessert tart didn't look good and her lamb chops were very obviously overdone.  The Chopped judges would have sent her packing for that alone.  The only positive outcome AFAIC is that St. Jude's got a nice donation.  My youngest was a St. Jude's kid and I can attest that it's a wonderful organization.

First, I hope your child is healthy and okay now 🙂

Second of all, didn't there used to be a you-must-be-this-far-apart-from-your-recruit rule, like, the other side of the room? Tyler and especially Anne are basically in their personal space bubbles now.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, mlp said:

I agree she should not have won but I'm glad that St. jJudes got the money.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I am not aware of any situation from a male athlete that is comparable.  Tonya participated in harming a team mate in order to eliminate her from the competition, so that Tonya could advance to the Olympics.  How could the U.S. skating association allow her to compete after she harmed a member of the US Olympic team?  

As far as no male athletes having such a harsh punishment?  I think there are some male sports figures who have gone to jail, which is more harsh than not being able to play professional sports.  

Tonya could have re-invented herself in her community, by volunteering, coaching, anything.  Re-inventing yourself doesn't have to mean trying to be famous and going on TV shows.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, El maestro said:

The show always seems to be  fixed for chef Ann to win. Ditto for the amateur edition.

It seems that way, doesn't it?  When was the last time Tyler's (or anyone else's) recruit won?  Seems like only a handful if that, and they were probably only for appearance's sake.

Seriously, Anne is that clueless about how some of the audience might feel about Tonya?  Clearly she's old enough to remember what happened.  Or maybe she just doesn't give a crap.  It seems to be all about her winning and who cares how anyone else might feel about anything or anyone.  It insults the audience's intelligence, though.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/27/2019 at 9:58 AM, tinkerbell said:

Did some of you miss the part of all the domestic violence she suffered at the hands of her husband? No, the media conveniently left any mitigating circumstances out of the original reports. She hindered the prosecution while still living under his thumb out in the middle of nowhere. The FBI would offer no protection. She still plead guilty and served her penance and shouldn’t be subject to a life in exile. Tonya won the competition fair and square, though I don’t doubt that Ann had a girl crush on her.

Edited by Domoarigato
  • Love 5

Did any of you catch the smartass remark Tonya made at the very end of the show.  It definitely alluded to the Kerrigan incident.   I'm sort of paraphrasing because I'm at work, and hope some of you still have it on your dvrs - went something like she'll admit she did this (winning).

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

Did any of you catch the smartass remark Tonya made at the very end of the show.  It definitely alluded to the Kerrigan incident.   I'm sort of paraphrasing because I'm at work, and hope some of you still have it on your dvrs - went something like she'll admit she did this (winning).

She said:  This time, I'll say, "it was me. I did it."

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

Thanks, Preeya.  Any shred of compassion I may have felt for her died right then and there.

At least St. Jude's got $25k.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

How could the U.S. skating association allow her to compete after she harmed a member of the US Olympic team?  

Apparently fairly easily since they didn’t ban her until after the Olympics.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, preeya said:

She said:  This time, I'll say, "it was me. I did it."

I didn't take this comment to mean she was admitting to injuring Kerrigan. I took Tonya's comment to mean she actually cooked this meal. "It was me. I did it" meaning I cooked the meal. Folks on this forum are looking for anything to make Tonya look bad.

Most of you on this forum hate Tonya and I get that. I'm not on board with the Tonya hate, however. I think she was a victim of circumstances and that is very sad for her.

Tonya had confidence in her skating skills and the triple axle that Nancy did NOT have. I honestly do not think Tonya thought she needed Nancy injured in order for her (Tonya) to make the team. I don't believe Tonya knew of the attack before it happened.

• Love 5
(edited)

I do think that last statement from Tonya was in poor taste.  She mostly likely was asked to say and  it was supposed to be joke.  It was in very poor taste. JMHO. 

Back to the show someone earlier mentioned the chefs don’t usually help the contestants.  It really was a strange finale with the chefs really holding the contestants hand with the final meal. 

It was funny how the one male judge said fancy about one of the entrees.   He sounded just like Alec. 

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I didn't take this comment to mean she was admitting to injuring Kerrigan. I took Tonya's comment to mean she actually cooked this meal. "It was me. I did it" meaning I cooked the meal. Folks on this forum are looking for anything to make Tonya look bad.

Most of you on this forum hate Tonya and I get that. I'm not on board with the Tonya hate, however. I think she was a victim of circumstances and that is very sad for her.

Tonya had confidence in her skating skills and the triple axle that Nancy did NOT have. I honestly do not think Tonya thought she needed Nancy injured in order for her (Tonya) to make the team. I don't believe Tonya knew of the attack before it happened.

Unfortunately, the media played these women against each other in 1994 for ratings and the public staunchly took sides. 25 years later. Not realizing they’ve been spoon fed exactly what to believe all those years ago.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Actually, my thought was she was using the statement as a double entendre that failed miserably.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, luvthepros said:

didn't take this comment to mean she was admitting to injuring Kerrigan. I took Tonya's comment to mean she actually cooked this meal. "It was me. I did i

If it wasn’t referring to Nancy why would she add the “this time” because she famously has refused to say it in regards to Nancy.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

If it wasn’t referring to Nancy why would she add the “this time” because she famously has refused to say it in regards to Nancy.

As opposed to all the other meals she had direct help making? 

6 hours ago, Domoarigato said:

Unfortunately, the media played these women against each other in 1994 for ratings and the public staunchly took sides. 25 years later. Not realizing they’ve been spoon fed exactly what to believe all those years ago.

Until Harding's goons attacked Kerrigan, there would've been no reason to play them against each other.  Harding herself and/or her cohorts handed them the opportunity.

I've read interviews with Harding (see the link to the Times article I posted above), so I reject the notion that I've been "spoonfed" what to believe by the media.  People who hold views other than the ones you hold aren't necessarily credulous morons.

2 hours ago, Domoarigato said:

As opposed to all the other meals she had direct help making? 

Except she said she did it "this time," when she had more help than she did preparing any previous meal on the show.  So how does that make sense, unless it's a sly reference to some other event?  Because she absolutely didn't cook the final meal without help, quite the contrary.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Until Harding's goons attacked Kerrigan, there would've been no reason to play them against each other.  Harding herself and/or her cohorts handed them the opportunity.

I've read interviews with Harding (see the link to the Times article I posted above), so I reject the notion that I've been "spoonfed" what to believe by the media.  People who hold views other than the ones you hold aren't necessarily credulous morons.

Except she said she did it "this time," when she had more help than she did preparing any previous meal on the show.  So how does that make sense, unless it's a sly reference to some other event?  Because she absolutely didn't cook the final meal without help, quite the contrary.

Media manipulation is rampant in our culture and our willingness to provide fodder for it is no justification. It’s why the “fake news!” Mantra was born.

I did not refer to anyone as an incredulous moron. I, myself believe OJ and Casey Anthony are both guilty of murder as I watched their trials and they both walked.

Bottom line is there was no smoking gun to convict Harding on anything more than Hindering the Prosecution. The Prosecution settled with it because their evidence was weak. 

Tonya was the last red team person standing, which meant she did it “alone.” Coaching from the sidelines is to be expected. You don’t win on the least amount of feedback you require. It’s whose dish the judges would want to eat again. 

• Love 1

I thought that Alec's meal looked far superior to the messes that Tonya sent out.  There was WAY too much ricotta on her appetizer so it just looked off to me.  As for the entree, her lamb chops were overcooked/burnt and she put greens over the whole dish which seemed to me an attempt to disguise the lamb chops.  I thought her dessert looked really good though.  So, I was really surprised that she won-I thought for sure it would be Alec.  I know everything is edited, but it seemed like the judges had immediate positive comments about Alec's dishes while it took a little bit longer for them to praise Tonya's dishes.  

Oh well.  I have enjoyed Alec's work on some of the shows I've seen him on, so I will continue to look for him as I like his personality.  Liked Tonya before the "incident," loss a bit of respect for her at the following Olympics with her crying to the judges for the unprecedented decision to restart her routine, and really wish she would stop trying to be a celebrity.  I was over her on Dancing with the Stars and am even more so after this show.  I know we're in the era of "reality stars" so will continue to disagree with the decisions various producers make about who is a "celebrity" and, alas, will continue to watch these shows. 

One thing I really do like about the Celebrity Edition of this show is that they bring out celebrities from earlier decades and I have a fun remembering them and watching them (although they are usually early eliminations).  

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Domoarigato said:

Media manipulation is rampant in our culture and our willingness to provide fodder for it is no justification.

A great example of media manipulation is the PR campaign rehabbing Tonya’s image in order to sell tickets and win awards for the movie about her life.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5