Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was happy that Amber won.  She was the only person I could relate to in the cast plus she just seemed so down to earth and normal, not a clown with a gimmick.  She reminded me more of earlier seasons when the show was less of a farce.  I also loved Carla on this season.  I think she was perfect for this show and I hope that she comes back for another "regular" season in the future.  She somehow made it feel more serious and tolerable than other hosts.  She had an elevating presence and actually seemed to respect all of her "blue diamonds" (I loved that name), unlike some hosts (cough.... Bobby Flay....cough) who at times couldn't hide his derision.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Ms Lark said:

I like Michael Symon, but I don't think I can take these "All Stars." Too many nutters I couldn't handle before and they'll be twice as bad second time around. Pass!

I like Michael Symon but he's hard for me to take sometimes because he's just such an OTT, loud manic extrovert and I'm just the opposite, LOL.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I like Michael Symon, but I don't think I can take these "All Stars." Too many nutters I couldn't handle before and they'll be twice as bad second time around. Pass!

That’s probably why they got invited back, they’re really “bad nutters” that needed redemption. Generally, I’m all up for second chances, what ever scenario it may be.

I am growing tired of this show.

* They should not boot out any contestant at the end of the first episode.
* I would definitely like to see more of the technical aspects of cooking displayed.  They rush through the demos and I do see contestants with notepads, but it seems like they don't really use them much during the actual cooking.  I'm wondering if they just can't get down all the ingredients and the steps when taking notes.
* The physical games are becoming less and less dignified.  This show was definitely filmed during the pandemic because we saw Cameron trying to give food to the behind-the-scenes people who were wearing masks.  That makes the cake-eating contest horrific...but it would be ridiculous even without the pandemic.  No one needed to see the contestants in flannel jumping over obstacles.  This is a cooking contest, not Double Dare.
* The fake-out eliminations are becoming annoying.  Oh, everybody's sad, but, Wait for It!, no one's going home this week!
* And to have the two contestants about to be eliminated stick around for another half-hour in the finale only to base your choice of representative on the final meal prepared by the four chefs is inane.  I would be furious if I had not been up for elimination in the penultimate episode only to get booted in the finale because one of the contestants that had been up for elimination was kept around to cook one more meal that happened to turn out better and got to go to the finale instead of me.  Regardless of how that meal turned out, JJ was still slopping stuff on his plate and Cameron was still running around like a chicken with its head cut off.   Neither of them should have been serious contenders for the finale.  It's production decisions like that which make me wonder if there are other considerations besides cooking skills that go into choosing the final two contestants.
* I still think it's a bit unfair for the final two contestants to be judged on a meal that was chosen by their team coaches.  If the panel of judges doesn't think a side dish goes well with the entree, that's not the contestant's fault, that's Anne Burrell's or her fellow coach's for choosing it for the contestant.  

• Love 4

I like Carla. She doesn't take herself too seriously and looks like she had fun with the gags and outfits. She seemed genuinely invested in her recruits.

I despise ego and don't watch when the "serious" chefs are on the show. My favorite thing about this show is the editing because it clearly is designed to not take itself too seriously.

I'm not sure why Anne picked Cameron to be in the finale. He couldn't even remember "wet hand dry hand" when breading and seemed to have trouble with rudimentary cooking skills. The few seasons I have watched I did see a skill advancement in the recruits compared to the first episode. Cameron's final clam dish didn't look like he had progressed at all from his first one (minus knowing not to add candy to a savory dish).

I won't watch next season because I don't like Michael Symon, and it looks like they're bringing back some of the overtly obnoxious contestants from previous seasons. This is a bummer because I do enjoy some aspects of this show especially when they're breaking down cooking techniques into layman's terms. I find it strange that Food Network basically is "Food Game Show" Network, but they're trying to pretend they're better than that.

Because I like to end on a positive note, I'm glad Amber won. Her reaction to winning seemed very heartfelt.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Wordsworth said:

* I still think it's a bit unfair for the final two contestants to be judged on a meal that was chosen by their team coaches.  If the panel of judges doesn't think a side dish goes well with the entree, that's not the contestant's fault, that's Anne Burrell's or her fellow coach's for choosing it for the contestant.  

This has always bothered me - I think the judges should be given certain categories on which to judge, and others that should be off the table, like "originality" or "flavor combinations".  What should be judged is the quality of execution of the intended dish, not the concept or the flavor pairings.  If they overcooked something, that's on the contestant, but if the flavors or food pairings don't seem right together that's on their mentor.

• Love 7

I could barely make it through the finale as it was too much Cameron all of the time.  I haven't cared for him since the first episode due to his over the top histrionics and purposeful playing to the camera.  But, this episode was so much the worst only because they really only had two contestants to feature and he was (unfortunately in IMO) one of them.  I have consistently liked Amber as she has seemed to just be herself (as others have noted).  I did like the flashbacks of the season-Carla getting stressed, Cameron getting injured, etc.  Am so glad that Amber won and would be so excited to eat the entire menu that Carla had her make.  Anne's menu wasn't as appealing to me.  

I just do not want to watch Lulu on second chances.  I know this show is entertainment first and everything else second, but when there are too many over the top characters it is just not enjoyable for me.

I did like all three judges.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Wordsworth said:

I am growing tired of this show.

I too, was growing very weary of this show but appreciate that editing has dialed down the over-the-top zaniness considerably this season. (It got so bad a few years ago that there were a few seasons I never made it through.) I suspect if I were to examine the credits the editing team has been completely overhauled.

2 hours ago, Wordsworth said:

* They should not boot out any contestant at the end of the first episode.
* I would definitely like to see more of the technical aspects of cooking displayed.  They rush through the demos and I do see contestants with notepads, but it seems like they don't really use them much during the actual cooking.  I'm wondering if they just can't get down all the ingredients and the steps when taking notes.
* The physical games are becoming less and less dignified.  This show was definitely filmed during the pandemic because we saw Cameron trying to give food to the behind-the-scenes people who were wearing masks.  That makes the cake-eating contest horrific...but it would be ridiculous even without the pandemic.  No one needed to see the contestants in flannel jumping over obstacles.  This is a cooking contest, not Double Dare.
* The fake-out eliminations are becoming annoying.  Oh, everybody's sad, but, Wait for It!, no one's going home this week!
* And to have the two contestants about to be eliminated stick around for another half-hour in the finale only to base your choice of representative on the final meal prepared by the four chefs is inane.  I would be furious if I had not been up for elimination in the penultimate episode only to get booted in the finale because one of the contestants that had been up for elimination was kept around to cook one more meal that happened to turn out better and got to go to the finale instead of me.  Regardless of how that meal turned out, JJ was still slopping stuff on his plate and Cameron was still running around like a chicken with its head cut off.   Neither of them should have been serious contenders for the finale.  It's production decisions like that which make me wonder if there are other considerations besides cooking skills that go into choosing the final two contestants.

Agree with all of your points. In prior seasons, Anne used to consult her final recruit and come up with a menu based on their background or culinary interests. The contestants should have input on their final menu which should be a reflection of their journey and what the learned during their time in boot camp. The final menu should not be entirely dictated by the mentor chefs, especially when Anne's culinary POV is pretty obvious to spot in an allegedly "blind" tasting. This pivot has always peeved me about the show.

• Love 6
On 3/2/2021 at 5:06 AM, buttercupia said:

Carla is a great teacher. I hope to see her and Alex in future seasons.

I wish it were Carla and Alex every season.  I am not an Anne fan.  Anne annoys me.  She seems to be trying to make the contestants more nervous than they already are.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, needschocolate said:

I wish it were Carla and Alex every season.  I am not an Anne fan.  Anne annoys me.  She seems to be trying to make the contestants more nervous than they already are.  

Anne seems to have evolved into an egotistical heartless d-bag compared to her early Food Network days. Although in Worst Cooks, it seems she’s mellowed down lately versus the earlier seasons. Must be the engagement?

• Love 2

Anne's always been hyper competitive.  It just never showed on Iron Chef because she was a sous or on Secrets of a Restaurant Chef because she was talking to camera.   She's come across kind of rough in some other shows, but a lot of those were of the "looking for a new executive chef" variety where she was trying to coax the best out of professional chefs so it made sense.   But on Next Iron Chef, she was highly competitive.  She was also very competitive on the early seasons of this show (I firmly believe the tension between her and Robert Irvine's ego was 100% real and not for show).   I think the reason she's different on here now is that in the early seasons the show was essentially real.  You had real people who couldn't cook and it was truly a competition between pro chefs who could teach the best and win.  At this point with all the cartoon characters from central casting and numnuts games it's just a joke--probably with pre-determined winner--and she's largely just showing up for a paycheck.  

• Love 5

Yes that was a good show. And Anne is a.good teacher.  In the early years of this show, even though she could be demanding many contestants remarked on how much they learned from her. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

The only ones I recognize are Domaine, Lulu and Sadie.

Well, see you all then. 

My money’s on Domaine and weirdly enough, Eric. Based off the track records, they’re the ones that made it the farthest out of all the recruits’ season. Although I think Eric only made it far because he’s good TV with all his crying and dramatic antics. Also, Domaine won like 2 challenges in her season. Sadie and Lulu both have 1. The rest zero. 

5 hours ago, ConcernedCitizen said:

Here’s the LINK to the official press release of the upcoming new season with Anne Burrell and Michael Symon, Worst Cooks in America: Best of the Worst.

Here is also a screenshot of the returning “fan-favorites.”

764E95D5-1253-4A00-A1D6-1A8C4D2CC5DE.jpeg

So I did some research (I need to get a life) and I remember Jonathan as the opera singer, and when you said crying, I remembered who Eric Smart is. Jefferson looks vaguely familiar. I remember Joey from this most recent season as being tall and wearing a funny shirt, but I can't for the life of me remember Stephanie James, even though she was apparently on my tv as recently as January. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Superclam said:

So I did some research (I need to get a life) and I remember Jonathan as the opera singer, and when you said crying, I remembered who Eric Smart is. Jefferson looks vaguely familiar. I remember Joey from this most recent season as being tall and wearing a funny shirt, but I can't for the life of me remember Stephanie James, even though she was apparently on my tv as recently as January. 

Haha you’re fine. Shoulda been “some stars” instead of “all-stars,” if we had to research most of them. 

• Love 3
Just now, ConcernedCitizen said:

Haha you’re fine. Shoulda been “some stars” instead of “all-stars,” if we had to research most of them. 

I have to question how contestants from the most recent season who placed in the bottom half can be considered "all-stars" but then I remembered what show I'm talking about. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I have to question how contestants from the most recent season who placed in the bottom half can be considered "all-stars" but then I remembered what show I'm talking about. 

I’m trying to rationalize why they invited back who. Domaine, yes. Fan-favorite, network-favorite, shock-elimination, successful career, sure. 

The Joey guy I would understand, he has a big social media following, plus being the token good-looking(?) white boy of the season. I bet you he will end up being in Anne Burrell’s team like every other token good-looking white boy of the show ever.

The Jonathan guy, sure, he was funny in his season, but not-so-much memorable.

Lulu is the token weird old lady.

Eric, like I said, good TV.

Stephanie, maybe the token black woman?

Jefferson? No idea. Sadie? No idea. Both were very forgettable during their seasons and don’t even have that “all-star” quality.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2021 at 1:57 PM, LexieLily said:

It's interesting that all of the "fan-favorites" they picked are magically and entirely from the last four seasons of a twenty-one season show.

They seem to do that on a lot of cooking competition shows in "all star" seasons.  And it bugs me.

• Useful 1
26 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

They seem to do that on a lot of cooking competition shows in "all star" seasons.  And it bugs me.

And I'm shocked they picked two contestants from season twenty, if I'm being honest. I thought Food Network was pretending Ari's season didn't exist.

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

And I'm shocked they picked two contestants from season twenty, if I'm being honest. I thought Food Network was pretending Ari's season didn't exist.

Maybe they won't air that season because she's in it but they're not against featuring other cast members from that season in new seasons that don't include her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Maybe they won't air that season because she's in it but they're not against featuring other cast members from that season in new seasons that don't include her.

I suppose that would make sense. It's not really fair to the others for them to be punished for something Ari did. 

• Love 4
On 4/24/2021 at 1:12 AM, Yeah No said:

An episode of "Dirty Dishes" was folded into the two hour premiere and the episode they were watching was one from season twenty, and I watched semi-carefully but FN was careful not to show Ari.

ETA: I'm pretty sure they photoshopped her out of the wide shots of the eliminations when they showed all four members of the red team and only three of blue.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

First, I love Michael Symon,  I think he's really great on this show. Not because i just love the guy, but because he has such an easy way about him and I can see him at least trying to teach them(contestants) something. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Cozytea said:

First, I love Michael Symon,  I think he's really great on this show. Not because i just love the guy, but because he has such an easy way about him and I can see him at least trying to teach them(contestants) something. 

I agree. I'm not familiar with his work, but he seems like a nice guy, and was actually interested in helping the contestants. 

I've always hated the fake-out "no one is going home!" thing they do at least once every season. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Superclam said:

I've always hated the fake-out "no one is going home!" thing they do at least once every season. 

I really, really hated it the season Alton Brown was on. His Chosen One was a bumbling, camera-hogging middle-aged guy whose name I have mercifully forgotten who was most likely told to ham it up as much as possible. As infuriatingly bad as he was, on one episode he went too far and totally screwed up his project to the point where he had nothing at all to present when the time ran out. The judges had to have another contestant give him some of their work to turn in.

Now, on a normal show this would have gotten him slung out on his ear, but they pulled the "no one is going home" bullshit to save him since there was no one else anywhere near as incompetent they could sacrifice in his stead. 

ETA: Leo.

Edited by CoderLady
ETA: Remembered the name. Ugh
5 hours ago, CoderLady said:

ETA: Leo.

If I remember, Alton gave him steak and a chocolate chip cookie to make for his grand finale meal, and he lost. 

On another note, I know for a fact that I've seen all these contestants before, as I watch this show WAY too religiously. But I wouldn't have been able to pick Sadie, Stephanie or Jefferson out of a line-up if you paid me. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 4/24/2021 at 2:09 AM, LexieLily said:

I don't know the timing of the casting for this season and the death of the child, but could this season already have been cast when the murder happened? I can see FN not wanting to punish Domaine for something she had nothing to do with. 

As a Cleveland girl, I've always loved Michael Symon. One episode in, and he's excellent on this show. You can tell he wants them to actually learn and I don't see him chasing people around or screeching at them like Anne does. Speaking of Anne, WTF with her having her team used a mandolin without a guard. That was just all sorts of irresponsible. Joey can barely used a knife without cutting himself, I was a literally cringing and just waiting for him to seriously cut his his fingers. None of them should have been using it without a guard, least of all him. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I don't know the timing of the casting for this season and the death of the child, but could this season already have been cast when the murder happened? I can see FN not wanting to punish Domaine for something she had nothing to do with. 

BREAKING NEWS: Domaine hospitalized for a severely broken back caused by carrying this season on her own by being the only true “all-star” in the lineup. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I really liked how Michael Simon instructed various participants.  Practical and effective.

However, it was hard to watch this episode as I was glad to see most of these participants go when they were on their original seasons, so All-Stars?  Not to me.

I didn't like Lulu at all on her season and really wanted her eliminated.  Part of this is my attitude towards her as every time she mentions her PhD I feel it demeans my own due to how she presents herself.  Also, as an (ahem) older woman I dislike her portrayal as an older woman.  I know, it's just me...

Also, all the references to PTSD and when Sadie said it was like 'returning to war' really irk me as it lessens what people who truly do experience PTSD and/or have been in a war have been through and the issues they face due to their experiences.  Sadie and two others made these comments (and the producers chose to leave them in).  I feel the same when people make light of "being on the spectrum" or some other disability.  Life is hard for so many people, don't make fun/light of it.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Superclam said:

On another note, I know for a fact that I've seen all these contestants before, as I watch this show WAY too religiously. But I wouldn't have been able to pick Sadie, Stephanie or Jefferson out of a line-up if you paid me. 

Me too.  I think some of these people were either completely forgettable or went home early or both.

2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really liked how Michael Simon instructed various participants.  Practical and effective.

I didn't like Lulu at all on her season and really wanted her eliminated.  Part of this is my attitude towards her as every time she mentions her PhD I feel it demeans my own due to how she presents herself.  Also, as an (ahem) older woman I dislike her portrayal as an older woman.  I know, it's just me...

Ditto on both.  I always liked Michael Simon but as a dedicated introvert found him too loud, and that constant machine gun laugh, oy vey, Jesus....He's actually a little more toned down here, and from my POV that's a good thing.  I can almost overlook the laugh.

Re: Lulu, it's not just you.  As an older woman myself I agree.  These cooking competitions always find ways to demean older women and she is doing it to herself here.  She resembles a friend of mine, but I'm sure my friend would be very insulted if I told her that because she dresses and acts so much better.  So yeah, I'll never tell her, LOL.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, ConcernedCitizen said:

BREAKING NEWS: Domaine hospitalized for a severely broken back caused by carrying this season on her own by being the only true “all-star” in the lineup. 

You had me in the first half, not gonna lie. 

This season is pretty much Domaine's to lose. 

• Love 1
On 4/27/2021 at 2:52 PM, seacliffsal said:

That's why I loved him on The Chew and he's doing the same on Symon's Dinners/Cooking Out/whatever Food Network is calling it. He gives you lots of tips while he's making something I wouldn't attempt to make.

My DVR keeps recording episodes of the pillow-talk version of this show.  Frankly, I'm lucky to make it through an episode of Worst Cooks let alone wanting to rewatch with former participants making comments.  I tried to watch one of the episodes, but when Domaine and her companion stated that they could watch themselves on t.v. all day, I was out.  Yes, I get that they want fame, but at least make it look like they really wanted to learn how to cook rather than just get to be on t.v. so that they can watch themselves.  I do like Carson and Alec, but don't care enough about other former contestants to really watch this show.

• Love 1