Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

This was once a pretty good show. Now it's just stupid.

That was a long time ago.  But it's even more stupid now than it was after it got stupid.

I kept falling asleep and waking up thinking "This crap isn't over YET?"

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

That was a long time ago.  But it's even more stupid now than it was after it got stupid.

I kept falling asleep and waking up thinking "This crap isn't over YET?"

I think we found the winner for worst show on Food Network and it was on after Worst Cooks: Cakealikes, hosted by Tregaye. It is apparently on the Discovery Plus streaming service but is also being aired on TV? 

• Love 1

The can opening demos felt very timely.  Also, I’m not surprised Joey got cut- that seemed to be the theme of the episode.

Otherwise, I actually think this is a pretty good season so far.  Maybe we just lucked out and the wackiest personalities are already gone- but the remaining contestants seem fine to me.  Bartender Amber is an all time great for this show, and her past life duplicate McKayla seems fun too.  Even Cameron is tolerable when he’s not in full Ross Matthews mode.  Beyond that, I’m glad this was back to the 60min version this week.  90 is too long, and I wound up ditching the “dirty dishes” show the past two weeks- that can stay on the unnecessary streaming service.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

Bartender Amber is an all time great for this show, and her past life duplicate McKayla seems fun too.

Holy sh!t, that is hysterical and accurate. 

1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

and I wound up ditching the “dirty dishes” show the past two weeks- that can stay on the unnecessary streaming service.

I liked Dirty Dishes. 0% chance of me paying a single penny to watch it. 

• Love 2

I liked Joey but he was clearly the right person to send home.  Of the ones left, I like Amber, Cameron and JJ.  Everyone else is at least tolerable which is more than could be said for many other seasons.  I think Carla is doing a good job in her role.

I would have preferred to see Dirty Dishes rather than the new Cakealikes which was so bad that I turned it off after 10 minutes.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I think we found the winner for worst show on Food Network and it was on after Worst Cooks: Cakealikes, hosted by Tregaye. 

Natalie was the only one qualified to be a judge. Which must be how they ended up picking the worst cake as the winner.

• Useful 1
Just now, Grizzly said:

Natalie was the only one qualified to be a judge. Which must be how they ended up picking the worst cake as the winner.

For me the worst part of the entire show other than the cakes (one of which only vaguely looked liked Lady Gaga and that one had her picking her nose) was when Tregaye straight-up said in the mini-challenge that they knew 20 minutes wasn't enough time so they don't expect anything good!

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

For me the worst part of the entire show other than the cakes (one of which only vaguely looked liked Lady Gaga and that one had her picking her nose) was when Tregaye straight-up said in the mini-challenge that they knew 20 minutes wasn't enough time so they don't expect anything good!

Actually the worst part was the Gaga impersonator. Her face had as much in common with Gaga as the meat dress one.

• LOL 1

Looks like Tiffany really did get burned on her arm during last week’s flaming steak debacle. I could clearly see at least a two inch angry pink mark on her right arm where Ayesha accidentally touched it with a hot sheet pan. 

43 minutes ago, ConcernedCitizen said:

The woman that won Season 20 was the idiot that insisted on always referring to her stomach in the third person. This article says her name is Ariel but I don't remember an Ariel. She must have gone by something else.

Edited by LexieLily

Just tragic news-I hope that the other children are safe and being cared for by loving and responsible people.  

It feels wrong to try to move on to snarkiness.  I'll come back in a few days to make comments about the episode.

• Love 1

Apparently, Food Network has scrubbed Season 20 from its website and streaming. Wise choice, but I feel for the other contestants (even if I don't like them) being sidelined by this horror.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/food-network-pulls-worst-cooks-in-america-season-20-after-champion-arrested-for-child-murder-1234679156/

Maybe now they'll stop pulling contestants from the bottom of the barrel who barely pass a sanity test.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
21 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Apparently, Food Network has scrubbed Season 20 from its website and streaming. Wise choice, but I feel for the other contestants (even if I don't like them) being sidelined by this horror.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/food-network-pulls-worst-cooks-in-america-season-20-after-champion-arrested-for-child-murder-1234679156/

Maybe now they'll stop pulling contestants from the bottom of the barrel who barely pass a sanity test.

Yeah really.  I wonder if anyone remembers Joshie Berger, the season 2 winner.  I witnessed him being shockingly toxic and off on his social media plus someone posted in a blog that he refused to address allegations by a former girlfriend of assault.  Not sure if that's true (and I don't want to spread rumors), but from what I witnessed of him online I wouldn't put it past him.

Edited by Yeah No
12 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

A great many WC contestants meet the above description but, to be fair, FN really has no way to tell if someone has hidden demons or is just kooky.  I have no idea how thoroughly they screen people but I'll bet they now start digging a little deeper.

• Love 1

Maybe they already do run background checks and nothing showed up in hers? Despite the horrific nature of her crime, it's entirely possible that she had a clean record at the time she auditioned for the show. 

And if FN did NOT run background checks before, they certainly will start now.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Doubtful, they seem to LOVE the batshit crazy ones who play up to the camera and are just there to get their big TV break.

3 hours ago, mlp said:

A great many WC contestants meet the above description but, to be fair, FN really has no way to tell if someone has hidden demons or is just kooky.  I have no idea how thoroughly they screen people but I'll bet they now start digging a little deeper.

They could just cast people who really want to learn how to cook, not be there for TV exposure. They might be able to vet them a bit more thoroughly if they weren't ignoring potential red signs in the name of kooky casting. Look at how many times we've all said "this guy/gal can't be real" when we've seen the latest crop of people on this show. It's gotten worse and worse each season. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, mlp said:

I have no idea how thoroughly they screen people but I'll bet they now start digging a little deeper

They should have learned their lesson many years ago when they had to disqualify a contestant on Food Network Star who lied about his military service IIRC.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They should have learned their lesson many years ago when they had to disqualify a contestant on Food Network Star who lied about his military service IIRC.

Or when the cowboy guy turned out to be a sexist racist homophobe. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Or when the cowboy guy turned out to be a sexist racist homophobe. 

Oh my, I forgot about him. FN has done their best to erase him from memory. Which is why they are still not learning from their mistakes. Those things should be in a checklist handed to the showrunners of every show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Wasn't that Lenny? He was awful. And Facebook was around then. No excuses for casting him, FN! 

Yup, good ole "Chuckwagon" Lenny.  I was actually the person that outed him to the online gossip sites.  After I stumbled on a curse filled video he filmed of himself cooking a brisket,  I knew there had to be more dirt there, so I did a deep Google search only to find his incredibly vulgar racist, sexist and homophobic comments on a chat board where he was a regular member.  He went by the screen name "Chuckwagon" but it was obviously him because he posted the brisket video where he mentioned others on the chat board by their screen names and didn't keep quiet about being a contestant on Food Network Star.  Now if I could find that and I'm no super sleuth, they should have been able to find it.  FN has no excuse at this point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was expecting the "Nobody goes home" fake out that they do every year so they actually did fake me out with the team switch.  I was glad because I like Cameron and I thought he was doomed.  I don't think he'll last much longer though.

I thought several of those pork roulades looked very rare and wondered why neither chef mentioned it.

Anne's hair has looked nice all season.  Being engaged must agree with her.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I remember that brisket video! What a scambag.

That wasn't even the worst of it.  His antics on that chat board were truly revolting.  Calling women the "C" word, using racial and homophobic slurs, referencing vulgar sexual activities he'd like to engage in with other FN stars, etc., etc.  He was just vile.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Oh my, I forgot about him. FN has done their best to erase him from memory. Which is why they are still not learning from their mistakes. Those things should be in a checklist handed to the showrunners of every show.

They showed a GGG rerun with him in it a few months ago, it was one of the very first episodes of his appearance on that show was pre-FNS.

• Useful 1

I am liking all the women who are left. None seem to be too extra. The guys I could do without, which is rare for me. There's usually 1 I really like. My prediction for finals is Laura & Amber. Bartenders seem to do well since they understand mixing flavors.

• Love 1

I watched Cakealikes because it was a Brady Bunch episode. God, whoever greenlit the idea of this show and actually put it on TV should be embarrassed. None of the hosts or contestants seemed to know anything about the show at all (Tregaye mentioned Cindy's little brother and everyone referred to Kitty Carry-All as a Raggedy-Ann doll), the cakes were hideous yet again which the judges all laugh about, and the contestants don't even care about their poor workmanship.

Mike Brady was the "winning cake" and I'm not even making this up, most of his butt/crotch fell off before Marcia and Peter showed up as celeb judges. 

23 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I am liking all the women who are left. None seem to be too extra. The guys I could do without, which is rare for me. There's usually 1 I really like. My prediction for finals is Laura & Amber. Bartenders seem to do well since they understand mixing flavors.

I kind of like Ayesha. Cameron and Chandali are not long for this show. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Wasn't that Lenny? He was awful. And Facebook was around then. No excuses for casting him, FN! 

19 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That wasn't even the worst of it.  His antics on that chat board were truly revolting.  Calling women the "C" word, using racial and homophobic slurs, referencing vulgar sexual activities he'd like to engage in with other FN stars, etc., etc.  He was just vile.

I read he had a blog that was chockfull of his nastiness. I don't know if it was public or not, it was apparently public enough that many were able to read what he was spewing. 

22 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I watched Cakealikes because it was a Brady Bunch episode. God, whoever greenlit the idea of this show and actually put it on TV should be embarrassed. None of the hosts or contestants seemed to know anything about the show at all (Tregaye mentioned Cindy's little brother and everyone referred to Kitty Carry-All as a Raggedy-Ann doll), the cakes were hideous yet again which the judges all laugh about, and the contestants don't even care about their poor workmanship.

Mike Brady was the "winning cake" and I'm not even making this up, most of his butt/crotch fell off before Marcia and Peter showed up as celeb judges. 

I think maybe they are going for a spoof. I laughed a lot. When the son said his caketopper doppelganger looked like a troll, so spot on. Couldn't believe that won over guy sitting on log. Mike's hand painted shirt was stunning. If you're a baker with a thin skin, this show is not for you. They should get rid of the comedian and replace him with Zac Young. Really up the snark factor.

4 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I think maybe they are going for a spoof. I laughed a lot. When the son said his caketopper doppelganger looked like a troll, so spot on. Couldn't believe that won over guy sitting on log. Mike's hand painted shirt was stunning. If you're a baker with a thin skin, this show is not for you. They should get rid of the comedian and replace him with Zac Young. Really up the snark factor.

A spoof of - what? (Not snarking on you, actually asking.)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I'd have to look up what that is, lol. Is that the somewhat-new show on FN hosted by Eddie Jackson?

Eddie is a judge, I don't know the host. It's a Canadian show. Maybe spoof isn't the right term. I'm trying to say it doesn't take itself seriously.

Tiffany is wearing thin on my nerves-she hates meat so signing up for this show was really a great idea.  In my opinion Cameron is basing his antics on Cameron from Modern Family (albeit a younger version).  He seems the most aware of the cameras and there are a few times in each episode when we can see him "light up" as soon as he realizes that the camera is on him.

I like Amber and Makayla.  I think that the contestants who have timing issues will be gone before the finale as they wouldn't be able to complete the dinner with bad timing.

Re: Ari from Season 20, she and her husband had foster children, so they had to pass some kind of background check for that.  In my experience though, people can "present" for interviews, etc., so sometimes it is just really difficult to discern who people really are (i.e. all the scammers out there).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

In my opinion Cameron is basing his antics on Cameron from Modern Family (albeit a younger version).  He seems the most aware of the cameras and there are a few times in each episode when we can see him "light up" as soon as he realizes that the camera is on him.

I wonder if you snuck up behind Cameron if he'd curse at you in a deep voice. He does seem to be putting on a show. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Something interesting: Domaine (from the now hard-to-find season of ill-repute SEASON 20 of Worst Cooks in America) just posted this on her Instagram story. Check it out. Click image to enlarge.

A369274B-2482-4F6C-9C73-38EDED1C9419.jpeg

Edited by ConcernedCitizen
Wrong attachment.
On 1/18/2021 at 1:05 AM, WritinMan said:

This was once a pretty good show. Now it's just stupid.

This show used to be absolutely hilarious. I remember laughing very hard the first couple of seasons, and that is an extremely difficult feat for a TV show (or anyone really) to accomplish with me.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:36 AM, Yeah No said:

I think the zaniness has been toned down a lot this year, which has helped tremendously. At one point this show was beyond silly. All the most over-the-top contestants have already been eliminated. There aren't any characters who annoy the crap out of me like Domaine or that Armenian Kim Kardashian wannabe from last season. 

I find myself chuckling at Ayesha's shtick. She's very aware of the performative aspect needed to make the most of her camera time, but never crosses that line into being vexatious. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3