Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

Worst Cooks In America

Recommended Posts

Has anyone else watched Wanda Sykes' standup shows where she refers to her belly as Esther?  I get the feeling Ari watched them, and decided to give her belly a name also.  Yes, she bugged, but I didn't hate her as a winner, especially after she talked about her kids which is when I knew she was going to win.

Alex made this a much better season than it had a right to be.  I enjoy watching her on so many other shows, and I would welcome her back immediately.  She and Anne have a fun dynamic together.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I wanted Zach to win because I liked him better but Ari needed the money more with 5 kids so I'm happy for her.  She seems like a nice person but I couldn't stand to be around her much with all the screeching.  

I enjoyed Alex on this show.  She and Anne seem to like each other which made for a comfortable rivalry.

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know the real timing on this show.  They showed Ari taking lobsters out of boiling water and then tearing them apart with her bare hands what looked like moments later.  The same thing happened last week when Alex was demonstrating a lobster dish.  It looked like she went right from removing them from the pot to twisting the claws off with her bare hands.  No way.

I liked the judges although I had no idea who any of them were.  They all seemed to have credentials though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Who wins seems based on the menu the teacher puts together. Alex, being a judge more often than Anne, used that to her advantage. It was the entree that did Zack in. Alex would have known not to have all that char together.

Ari is a fine winner, so much calmer when she's actually cooking.  She needed the money. Zack won by getting that far.

Edited by Grizzly · Reason: Fixed grammer
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

As soon as the show introduced Ari's kids to give her automatic sympathy, I knew she was going to win.

I'm sure she needs the money more than Zach and seems like a genuinely nice person, but good gravy, she's ridiculously obnoxious.

This was the first non-celebrity season I've watched and there were definitely some good points. I really enjoy Alex's personality. I know she's not popular here, but she seems super knowledgeable and down to earth to me. This is the only show I like Anne on. She seems like a good teacher who can break down complex techniques into smaller, digestible lessons. (Pun intended.)

Overall, I think I like the celebrity version better. I think I'd rather see a paid professional be a buffoon on tv. There's something sad about a private citizen going on a reality competition show to act like a clown for the possibility of winning money.

My favorite part of this show continues to be the editing. I'm glad it doesn't take itself seriously. I'm not a fan when a reality show thinks it's some high art. After all, a reality competition show is a glorified game show for goodness sakes.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I wouldn't mind Alex returning as a mentor.  I thought she was great, appropriately snarky and yet was very patient with her team.  

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I wouldn't mind Alex returning as a mentor.  I thought she was great, appropriately snarky and yet was very patient with her team.  

Alex really was a plus to this show...maybe the best foil to Anne yet. Alton was too in reverso-world of "hate to be here".

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I think one reason I really liked Alex on this show (and am glad that she won) is that she truly seemed invested in her team.  Her encouragement to Ari during the finale was just so heartfelt and sincere.  I agree with others that I never liked the "Shirley" bit (and visuals), but I guess all of the contestants need some kind of gimmick, which I wish they would drop.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/3/2020 at 10:29 AM, cameron said:

I think that Ari is a more accomplished cook in real time than the way she was depicted.  Watching her use that mandoline without a finger guard and looking away while doing it along with the way she was handling that saute pan during the championship final.

This plus if that was supposed to be her audition tape she has a pretty nice kitchen at home.

Share this post


Link to post

Having a nice kitchen doesn't necessarily equate to being able to actually use it. 😁

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Having a nice kitchen doesn't necessarily equate to being able to actually use it. 😁

Exactly.  It seems like the people with the most spectacular kitchens are the ones least able to appreciate or use them.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like there's an hour and a half Halloween special this Sunday. It's been a while, I kind of miss it! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Looks like there's an hour and a half Halloween special this Sunday. It's been a while, I kind of miss it! 

Still too much tv to I haven’t seen to get me to watch what I imagine will be a poorly produced, shit show filled with really bad puns. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

26 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

a poorly produced, shit show filled with really bad puns. 

This is just about guaranteed. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Looks like there's an hour and a half Halloween special this Sunday. It's been a while, I kind of miss it! 

I would have preferred an All Star edition of Halloween Wars instead. That show started and ended so early this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/12/2020 at 9:40 PM, Superclam said:

This is just about guaranteed. 

That being a definite given @Superclam, are you or anyone else watching this shit show right now? I am and it's definitely making my teeth itch. Of the four returning for redemption the two almost impossible to watch are Gina and Mike. Gina, well is just as obnoxious and condescending as she was the first time around. Mike, 'cause he really is, inexplicably, so in love with himself and I still can't figure out why. Also, he needs to quit with naming everything but chef Anne seems to like that crap so.......

The other two, Rev. Adam (really nice but rather inept) and muscle head/Brett (also pretty inept) are at least likeable.

I'm a Carla Hall fan, but she could dial it down a little for me.

Help, I need your support!😁

Edited by DC Gal in VA · Reason: Typo.
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching it. It's just like I expected. Of course, they went for personalities over cooking talent. I don't mind it though, this show is ok in small doses. It's the three seasons in a row that push it for me. 

But yeah, Gina is terrible. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Gina, well is just as obnoxious and condescending as she was the first time around. Mike, 'cause he really is, inexplicably, so in love with himself and I still can't figure out why. Also, he needs to quit with naming everything but chef Anne seems to like was so....

The other two, Rev. Adam (really nice but rather inept) and muscle head/Brett (also pretty inept) are at least likeable.

I'm a Carla Hall fan, but she could dial it down a little for me.

Agreed.  In fact, Fr. Adam and Brett are two of my all-time favorites from this show.  I can't remember who nudged out Brett the first time around but I do recall that I thought he got a raw deal at the time.  I'm neutral on Mike.  He's annoying but he's probably a nice guy in real life.  I couldn't stand Gina the first time and she hasn't changed a bit.  

I like Carla but she does seem to be on every show lately.  This one obviously was filmed before Covid so it isn't that no one else was available.  Maybe all the regular chefs have either done it or don't want to.  

I'm glad the red team won.  It seemed to actually matter to Brett so I was happy for him.

Chef Jordan is really cute.  It seems to me that he was on Chopped a long time ago when he was starting out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Agreed.  In fact, Fr. Adam and Brett are two of my all-time favorites from this show.  I can't remember who nudged out Brett the first time around but I do recall that I thought he got a raw deal at the time.  I'm neutral on Mike.  He's annoying but he's probably a nice guy in real life.  I couldn't stand Gina the first time and she hasn't changed a bit.  

I remembered Brett, I remembered Father Adam, I even remembered the idiot Gina (and what is up with each year having a requisite in-love-with-Bobby-Flay contestant? At least it wasn't Carla.) but I don't remember Mike. Even when they did the what-season-am-I-from clip for each person.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm watching it. It's just like I expected. Of course, they went for personalities over cooking talent. I don't mind it though, this show is ok in small doses. It's the three seasons in a row that push it for me. 

But yeah, Gina is terrible. 

Really nauseating that she won "Fan Favorite" for wrapping hot dogs at a snail's pace all the while rudely ignoring Carla's gentle prodding to speed things up AND giving her major side eye in the process. Aaaargh!😡

Edited by DC Gal in VA · Reason: Effing Autocorrect!
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Carla did this special because she's most known on FN for the Halloween Baking show. 

 Maybe don't have Anne do a Halloween show if she's too stuck up to wear a costume.   Carla's switching into more Bob Mackie-like off its than Carol Burnett on a Saturday Night while Anne spends the show in a devil horn headband from Dollar General. 

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Bummed that Fr. Adam, one of the more likeable contestants across all seasons IMO, was the only one to not win anything.

I wonder if this was Carla's audition to be a future Blue Team coach. I hope Alex makes a return. I think Carla's kookiness plus the contestants' kookiness is too much. But Gina was giving a bit too much attitude towards Carla, and she seemed kinda pissed when she was picked for the blue team, so Gina can fuck back off to wherever she went after her first season.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, dmeets said:

I wonder if this was Carla's audition to be a future Blue Team coach. I hope Alex makes a return. I think Carla's kookiness plus the contestants' kookiness is too much. But Gina was giving a bit too much attitude towards Carla, and she seemed kinda pissed when she was picked for the blue team, so Gina can fuck back off to wherever she went after her first season.

For a second, I got them confused and I thought you were talking about Gina as a coach! I could definitely see Carla doing it though. 

Share this post


Link to post

Gina should give the knife set to Fr. Adam. We all know she's not going to cook with it. I felt so bad for Brett that Anne kept sniping at him. After he wanted to be on her team so badly. I remember rooting for him during his season.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Gina should give the knife set to Fr. Adam. We all know she's not going to cook with it. I felt so bad for Brett that Anne kept sniping at him. After he wanted to be on her team so badly. I remember rooting for him during his season.

THIS so much @Grizzly! Like you and @dmeets, I thought it was a shame that he didn't get anything.

BTW, is it me or did anyone get the impression that Gina never cooked one morsel of food after being kicked off the first show? Her idiotic fake Bobby Flay crush along with her I could give two shits about learning how to cook attitude really grates on my nerves and should not be rewarded, which means we'll probably be seeing this bitch on Food Network again.

Also, I wonder if there's a cash option for people who, like me, live in apartments? No way would property management allow me to make any permanent changes to my kitchen and, even if they would, why the Hell would I want to give them a free gourmet kitchen!?😁

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Another new Halloween episode is scheduled for 11 o'clock tonight, I don't know if it's different from yesterday's. I'm too old to stay up that late. 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Another new Halloween episode is scheduled for 11 o'clock tonight, I don't know if it's different from yesterday's.

I'm pretty sure it's a rerun of the show that was on last night.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I'm pretty sure it's a rerun of the show that was on last night.

It looks like it from the description. I'll DVR it, and erase it if it's the same one. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

THIS so much @Grizzly! Like you and @dmeets, I thought it was a shame that he didn't get anything.

I'll go ahead and be the fourth on this. The idea of this entire series is kind of mean-spirited in general, honestly, but if the "Fan Favorite" winner was going to be a different person than those on the winning team (and who besides me thought she only won that because pigs-in-a-blanket are a super-familiar snack food and kind of hard to mess up in the first place?), it kind of looked bad for the show to have three out of four people win a decent money-sized prize and someone win nothing. 

Of course, I am only saying this because it was Father Adam. If Gina or Mike had been the one left out I might not have minded so much 😉 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Also, I wonder if there's a cash option for people who, like me, live in apartments? No way would property management allow me to make any permanent changes to my kitchen and, even if they would, why the Hell would I want to give them a free gourmet kitchen!?😁

What most contestants don't usually realize for game shows and prizes: You have to pay the taxes on whatever you won immediately based on full price. Usually federal and state. So, nice to win, but not so nice to have to pass on taking it home!

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I worked in the kitchen business 20 years ago, and $5,000 wasn't a lot then. So $5k after taxes today will maybe get you a really nice refrigerator or a new floor, not a whole kitchen with new cabinets and a quartz countertop. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

In strange news for strange times, it looks like our friend Brett is going to play the Iron Sheik in the upcoming Hulk Hogan biopic. 

ETA: Upon further investigation, he's going to play the Iron Sheik in a tv show about Duane Johnson when he was little, called "Young Rock." That's even weirder. 

Edited by Superclam

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size