Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
40 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I was at a local WalMart this weekend and they were out of regular Spam (my daughter had never tasted it and I was going to buy it as a joke) - they had Spam Light but there was absolutely no regular Spam on the shelves.

I think people are buying more shelf-stable proteins now. Either that, or it really is the hottest new trend! 

Edited by Superclam
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Iseut said:

I'm enjoying this season quite a bit; I pretty much start out every season thinking that the over-the-top contestants and the beyond-silly producer videos and games will drive me away, but somehow I find it enjoyable enough to keep watching and by the time the worst/goofiest contestants are gone, I'm hooked. I think Alex is a great addition this season, and hope she comes back for more.

Loved how she put on a sympathetic face for Eric's waterworks, but when he walked away, she looked at the camera and said something like "Give the guy a damn Emmy." Hee! Perfect combo of nice and sassy for this show. I believe Eric was actually emotional, but I also think he's the kind of person who just navigates through life on that level, and it can be a lot to take. 

Surprised to see Domaine leave; I thought that, especially since they seemed to be ramping up a rivalry between her and Darien, that she would make it to the finale. 

Ari is my favorite to win now. Annoying references to "Shirley" aside, she genuinely seems to be taking the notes she's given and continuously improving and offering good food. 

My pics for the finale--heh heh, only four left so how hard is that?😊--are Ari and "I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt" Zach. Something about his comments on how his (Italian?) family made their version of the fish recipe challenge showed that he had a very accurate memory of how that recipe should be made. I think he's a bit of a ringer in that he uses his male model shtick to lull the competition into a false sense of security.

And I too wish they would drop all of the references to "Shirley" and especially that sickening green graphic of what Shirley looks like. Ick.

• Love 1

Spam is YUMMY. Slice it thin-ish and pan fry it? It's like a fluffy ham steak. Dice it small, make lardons out of it, use it in little tacos? Or make a BLT bite like whatsherface made with blue cheese, but a crostini with a thin slice of fried spam, lettuce and tomato marinated in balsamic? Mwa! *chef's kiss*

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Spam is YUMMY. Slice it thin-ish and pan fry it? It's like a fluffy ham steak. Dice it small, make lardons out of it, use it in little tacos? Or make a BLT bite like whatsherface made with blue cheese, but a crostini with a thin slice of fried spam, lettuce and tomato marinated in balsamic? Mwa! *chef's kiss*

Yes! First DH was Chinese I basically learned to cook from his mom. They used Spam a lot. Spam fried rice, Spam and noodles, fried Spam and bok choy, etc, etc.  And yes, I stocked up on shelf stable Spam during "these trying times". 🙂

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I was at a local WalMart this weekend and they were out of regular Spam (my daughter had never tasted it and I was going to buy it as a joke) - they had Spam Light but there was absolutely no regular Spam on the shelves.

I tried regular Spam because when I was a kid, my favorite dinner that Mom made was Treet sandwiches. Found Spam inedibly salty, but the low-sodium version could  be earthquake food

I liked that Darian applauded when the other team won the first game. He moved into favorite status for me then, especially because no one else did.

• Love 1

I remember eating Spam maybe twice a year when I was a kid on the rare occasions when my Dad would sneak it home and fry it up the two of us - my mother wouldn't eat it.  I actually liked it back then.  I liked it the way I liked liver - if it was made right and maybe twice a year.  I stopped eating it altogether for a long time until about 15 years ago when I was given a can as a gag gift at work.  I took it home and attempted to fry it up the way my Dad did and I was not prepared for how awful I thought it tasted.  Usually I will always love the stuff I grew up with but this was one huge exception.  I had remembered it tasting completely different and far less salty.  Obviously my memory had somehow gotten distorted over time.  I decided to try the "light" version but I thought it was just as awful.  I'll never get over that.  I've had well cooked liver as an adult and loved it so why not Spam?

(Cue Monty Python chorus here).

• LOL 1
On 7/21/2020 at 1:22 AM, jcbrown said:

I liked that Darian applauded when the other team won the first game. He moved into favorite status for me then, especially because no one else did.

And then Darian showed off his dance moves saying he had 4 daughters, he had this. You just know he's a fun dad.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I remember eating Spam maybe twice a year when I was a kid on the rare occasions when my Dad would sneak it home and fry it up the two of us - my mother wouldn't eat it.  I actually liked it back then.  I liked it the way I liked liver - if it was made right and maybe twice a year.  I stopped eating it altogether for a long time until about 15 years ago when I was given a can as a gag gift at work.  I took it home and attempted to fry it up the way my Dad did and I was not prepared for how awful I thought it tasted.  Usually I will always love the stuff I grew up with but this was one huge exception.  I had remembered it tasting completely different and far less salty.  Obviously my memory had somehow gotten distorted over time.  I decided to try the "light" version but I thought it was just as awful.  I'll never get over that.  I've had well cooked liver as an adult and loved it so why not Spam?

(Cue Monty Python chorus here).

The trick to cooking with Spam is not to add any additional salt to the dish.  Garlic and ginger really add to the taste.. .yeah I like it so shoot me...you just have to cook it right... It is a cultural thing. (ducking behind the couch out of sight)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 7/20/2020 at 2:03 AM, DC Gal in VA said:

That and her baby voice. Is it just me or when the Hell did all of these grown ass women start talking like babies and/or really little girls? They're EVERYWHERE. My seven year old grand niece has a deeper voice than her!😆

Dolores' baby voice is annoying. She's like an adult version of a clueless, bumbling cartoon character. I find Domaine's voice equally annoying--it's very phlegmy and guttural. I've only heard people speak like that when doing a ridiculous impression.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Rahul said:

Dolores' baby voice is annoying. She's like an adult version of a clueless, bumbling cartoon character. I find Domaine's voice equally annoying--it's very phlegmy and guttural. I've only heard people speak like that when doing a ridiculous impression.

Is it me or does Dolores seem a lot like a former contestant from an earlier season?  I can't place who she reminds me of and it's driving me crazy.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, Rahul said:

I've always liked Alex Guarnaschelli on Chopped so I'm glad she's finally doing a season of Worst Cooks. There's only so much Tyler Florence and Bobby Flay one can take.

Alex did one of their competitions where they had to mentor contestants who were really trying to cook (unlike these) - I forget the name but the mentors prowled around on a catwalk and got to go down for 1 minute or something once per round when a button was pushed.  Anyway, ahe seemed comfortable in the teaching/mentoring role.  I'm just waiting around until Scott Conant pulls the short straw and is forced to do this.  He'll be even less gracious about it than Alton Brown was.

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, Totale said:

Alex did one of their competitions where they had to mentor contestants who were really trying to cook (unlike these) - I forget the name but the mentors prowled around on a catwalk and got to go down for 1 minute or something once per round when a button was pushed.  Anyway, she seemed comfortable in the teaching/mentoring role.  I'm just waiting around until Scott Conant pulls the short straw and is forced to do this.  He'll be even less gracious about it than Alton Brown was.

Or Geoffrey Zakarian. He'll taste (or not taste) everything with chopsticks. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Awwww geez Chef Anne why don't you just come down and make Zack's burger for him? Oops, Chef Alex just kinda did the same thing for Darien so nevermind!

And please stop yelling Ari.😁

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.

Ari actually does seem like a sweet girl, but I'm glad there is one more episode only because I cannot take much longer of her talking about her stomach as a separate person and the show encouraging it!! LOL

• Love 4

Too funny when, for the umpteenth time, Ari let out what must have been her loudest, most ear splitting screech during the family members judging their dishes. Then you heard a producer off camera telling her to remove her ear piece. That must have been code for gurrrrrrl you are TOO DAMN LOUD! And yes, I'm yelling too.😁

• Love 1

I'm half happy about the final two.  I wanted to see Darian vs. Zach.   I don't dislike Ari but her OTT carrying on and screeching is more than I can stand.  I can't imagine what she teaches.  I liked Darian and think he would have been much less of a loose cannon than Ari.  I thought Zach was a bit of a jerk when the show started but, as it went on, I decided he's really quite bright and is just making the most of his opportunity to be on TV.  I like him now and I hope he wins.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Ari actually does seem like a sweet girl, but I'm glad there is one more episode only because I cannot take much longer of her talking about her stomach as a separate person and the show encouraging it!! LOL

I can't stand that at all. To the point that when I think of her I always think of her as "Shirley" because we hear her pet name for her damn stomach more than her actual name.

18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Phooey, I wanted to see a Darian/Zach finale. Now I have to root for chef Anne.

I realized tonight that my two favorite contestants were both on Alex's team. And I still haven't learned most of their names.

I also called this final early on, but is Ari really going to lose to Wes Adams 2: The Wes Adams-ing? On a season where Chef Alex doesn't seem to be laying down and dying for Anne Burrell? I wonder.

3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I can't stand that at all. To the point that when I think of her I always think of her as "Shirley" because we hear her pet name for her damn stomach more than her actual name.

And we found out this week that she named her sister's stomach too!

That was sweet of Alex to address her team as “chefs” rather than the usual “home cooks.” They both seemed so giddy about it. Also, she cracked me up with her “oh, fuck me” look when she realized she’s been taped from the chef’s perch this whole time.

Rooting for Zach even though he’s Diet Wells: just one calorie, not Wells enough. 

• Love 7

Cute idea to have them compete against Chopped Jr Champions. Interesting that Alex's chef won her challenge. It would be nice to see Alex beat Anne.

I wish Ari would lose Shirley...not cute, not funny, just stupid...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Cute idea to have them compete against Chopped Jr Champions. Interesting that Alex's chef won her challenge. It would be nice to see Alex beat Anne.

I wish Ari would lose Shirley...not cute, not funny, just stupid...

Hi there @Gramto6. Yes, that was a too cute competition with the kids. Like you, I am so sick of the references to "Shirley." It wasn't even that funny when her stomach was first introduced by name. Also, Ari seems nice enough and I admire the fact that she and her husband adopted siblings but could she please STOP YELLING!?😊

I have a feeling that the fix is in though for Ann to win. Not feeling her entree of swordfish on cauliflower for Zack btw.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Also, Ari seems nice enough and I admire the fact that she and her husband adopted siblings but could she please STOP YELLING!?😊

The constant yelling makes me think she's reading from a cue card, which she probably is. 

My feelings for her changed a lot when I heard she had 5 kids, 3 adopted. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hi there @Gramto6. Yes, that was a too cute competition with the kids. Like you, I am so sick of the references to "Shirley." It wasn't even that funny when her stomach was first introduced by name. Also, Ari seems nice enough and I admire the fact that she and her husband adopted siblings but could she please STOP YELLING!?😊

I have a feeling that the fix is in though for Ann to win. Not feeling her entree of swordfish on cauliflower for Zack btw.

Yeah, seems to almost always be the case, but I would like to see Alex win...

I just realized, I like the kids cooking contests better than these clown show adult ones. Especially Chopperd Jr where they go and help a fellow contestant. Warms my heart.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Superclam said:

The constant yelling makes me think she's reading from a cue card, which she probably is. 

My feelings for her changed a lot when I heard she had 5 kids, 3 adopted. 

Yes, that's amazing about the kids.

Unfortunately, so-called reality tv seems to make it mandatory that people act like loud mouths and buffoons.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Effing Autocorrect!
  • Love 1

Watched The Great British Baking Show on PBS earlier tonight and, as an American, the contrast between our competition cooking shows and theirs is embarrassing. IMHO, ours, dysfunctional preschoolers; theirs, Ph.D. candidates. Whether or not you're speaking of the behavior of the competitors or judges, the actual competitions, the production values, etc. they are so many light years ahead of us.

• Love 5

Wellllllllll Chef Alex (always loved her) and Ari won! So happy for her and her family. Won't be surprised to to see either of the finalists elsewhere on Food Network; just saw one of the Worst Cooks winners recently on Beat Bobby Flay.

• Love 6

Let's face it, it is Anne's show so she will win most of the time. I think the addition of ICAG kind of forced the network to have Alex win, this time. What will tell the tale is how often ICAG returns. 

ICAG seems to be the "Golden girl" right now, time will tell where that goes.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

She's on Chopped, was on Iron Chef (which seems to be gone), is on Supermarket Stakeout, The Kitchen and Guy's Ranch Kitchen. She's all over...and it is not that I don't like her. She has a quiet teaching/encouraging quality about her.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Thanks to all of you for our blow-by-blow coverage of tonight's show!😊

I wonder when we'll see another show? I don't think it's possible do this type of show, as well as Chopped, and maintain safe social distancing.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Thanks to all of you for our blow-by-blow coverage of tonight's show!😊

I wonder when we'll see another show? I don't think it's possible do this type of show, as well as Chopped, and maintain safe social distancing.

I agree it is going to be a long time before our TV shows return in the way we are used to them. All shows, not just the cooking ones...

Edited by Gramto6
typo

I think that Ari is a more accomplished cook in real time than the way she was depicted.  Watching her use that mandoline without a finger guard and looking away while doing it along with the way she was handling that saute pan during the championship final.

• Love 1