Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was going to say, given his performance so far, a.k.a. Johnny Bananas seems like he may be the designated blue team finalist-to-inevitably-lose-to-one-of-Anne-Burrell's-team in the finale.

2020 is showing no mercy.

• LOL 1

An hour of this show is harmless, mindless fun. Dragging this mess out to 90 minutes was the nail in the coffin for me.

I actually think this the most “normal” group they’ve had in while. The only complete psycho is the housewife. I guess Johnny is insane too. 

• Love 1

I can't believe they kept the housewife over the other guy, which creates lopsided teams - perhaps they will have a team swap next week to even them back up.

• Love 2

I was so hoping that with all of the screen time and interview time that she got it meant the housewife was going home.  Really?  This woman has fans and is a star on a reality show?

I really liked how excited that Dave was with how much Tyler liked (loved?) his mashed potatoes.  

• Love 1
(edited)

New Season of WORST COOKS IN AMERICA Premieres June 21st at 9PM ET/PT

Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli Joins Anne Burrell as a mentor for the first time to whip a cast of cooking-challenged recruits into culinary shape.

This season's recruits are:
Dolores Aguilar-Fernandez (Cypress, Texas)
Evan Baker (Bismarck, North Dakota)
Darian Barnes (Rahway, New Jersey)
Holly Brooks (Lancaster, Pennsylvania)
Zack Ignoffo (Chicago, Illinois)
Domaine Javier (San Gabriel, California)
Jewels McIlroy (Syracuse, New York)
Johannes "Yo" Phelps (Davenport, Iowa)
Ari Robinson (Simpsonville, South Carolina)
Denise Schroder (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
Louisa Sharamatyan (Glendale, California)
Eric Smart (Los Angeles, California)
Erin Sullivan (Mayfield, Kentucky)
Brianna Weidenbach (Martin, Tennessee)

In the finale on Sunday, August 2nd at 9PM, the two most-improved recruits must prepare a three-course restaurant quality meal for judges Mary Giuliani, Julian Rodarte and James Tahhan.

Edited by RealityCheck
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, Maya said:

I actually think this the most “normal” group they’ve had in while. The only complete psycho is the housewife. I guess Johnny is insane too. 

I don't think Johnny's insane. It's his reality show personality. It's what gives him camera time and considering that he has been doing the Challenge for over a decade it has worked very well for him. To watch him in interviews and podcasts he is dialed down.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Superclam said:

This global pandemic is disrupting so many lives and businesses. Except of course, Worst Cooks in America, which will be having its 3rd season in 2020. 

LOL it’s like a cockroach in a nuclear explosion. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

I didn't realize that this had come back until last night and I wasn't aware there was a forum for it until I post in Challenge in the media. I wish the housewife had gone. Sadly Brian wouldn't have lasted long either way. He just doesn't move quick enough. Strangely I always thought that that was just a bit that he did as that's legit every character he ever plays, but then I remembered working with him and I was like, "this is not a bit." So sad cause he's really sweet.

At first I when Johnny was doing his antics I thought I would hate him. But after being warned that he should take it seriously, I think he realized this is not The Challenge and these people are not going to tolerate your behavior. He did kind of retreat a little back into Bananas mode when he cut himself and he kept trying to keep going. I don't think that was malicious, I think it's just his nature that you don't stop when you're hurt on the Challenge or TJ will tell you he's disappointed in you.

It also made me laugh when he, rightfully so, during the horse/identify the food challenge called someone out for cheating. Yes, they totally cheated, but when your slogan is "if you're not cheating, you're not trying," you gotta get over it.

• Love 2
On 5/23/2020 at 6:14 AM, RealityCheck said:

Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli Joins Anne Burrell as a mentor for the first time to whip a cast of cooking-challenged recruits into culinary shape.

What dirt does Guarnaschelli have on TPTB at FN that she ends up on every single show? I will say, as much as I don't care for her, surely she can't be worse than Alton Brown was on this one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Ashforth said:

What dirt does Guarnaschelli have on TPTB at FN that she ends up on every single show? I will say, as much as I don't care for her, surely she can't be worse than Alton Brown was on this one.

Alton Brown is a full-of-himself ass.  He can take a few thousand seats in the back row!  Alex is overused, for sure, but girl can cook, and I heard her say that she loves competitions, so she probably asks to be on.

• Love 5
(edited)

I've never heard of her. I didn't even know she was a she-Alex. I'll give her a shot. I like Tyler and Bobby Flay as hosts, I didn't like Alton and I really don't like Robert Irvine. Rachel Ray was ok. 

It'll never happen, but I wonder what Gordon Ramsey would be like hosting. 

ETA: I've seen her on Chopped. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

IMO Tyler is best suited to be host along with Anne.  He is loose, and is a very good teacher.  Even Bobby seemed fed up sometimes.

Tyler is perfect - IMHO, Alex is even more competitive than Anne, if that's possible.  Should be a wild season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 5/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, Ashforth said:

I loved Alton Brown on Worst Cooks (this is a show guaranteed to make chefs who love precision and rationality uncomfortable) and I shall love Alex Guarneschelli even more!

On 5/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, chessiegal said:

Gordon Ramsey is so far above this show's league. I'm not sure FN can afford him.

Thank the pagan cooking gods as I loathe him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/25/2020 at 8:52 AM, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Alton Brown is a full-of-himself ass.  He can take a few thousand seats in the back row!  Alex is overused, for sure, but girl can cook, and I heard her say that she loves competitions, so she probably asks to be on.

Alton Brown's sidebar about his role on Iron Chef (basically, I look things up on my laptop and critique. I don't cook!) was, for me, one of the best moments ever on Worst Cooks.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ArtFossil said:

I loved Alton Brown on Worst Cooks (this is a show guaranteed to make chefs who love precision and rationality uncomfortable) and I shall love Alex Guarneschelli even more!

Thank the pagan cooking gods as I loathe him.

I liked Alton on Worst Cooks, too, because he just had no fucks to give about the whole thing. I found it refreshing.  I get why that may have rubbed people the wrong way but I was glad he did not dumb himself down for the shenanigans.

• Love 9

I'm nowhere near close to a fan of Johnny Bananas, but after this week, I'm pretty sure this is rigged somehow (like The Masked Singer is rigged for certain contestants to be voted off after only doing a certain amount of episodes, not like how Twenty-One was rigged). I've watched enough cooking shows to know it's all about the protein, and Dave Coulier overcooked his protein (both weeks, actually), but got a bizarre amount of praise for his side dish (both weeks).

It now leads me to believe Dave Coulier is the designated lose-to-one-of-Anne-Burrell's-team finalist (potentially to Robin Givens, no spoilers, just a theory), who will come from behind, and Johnny Bananas will be the elimination comeback kid until he's finally sent packing. Anne Burrell clearly hates him.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I'm nowhere near close to a fan of Johnny Bananas, but after this week, I'm pretty sure this is rigged somehow (like The Masked Singer is rigged for certain contestants to be voted off after only doing a certain amount of episodes, not like how Twenty-One was rigged). I've watched enough cooking shows to know it's all about the protein, and Dave Coulier overcooked his protein (both weeks, actually), but got a bizarre amount of praise for his side dish (both weeks).

It now leads me to believe Dave Coulier is the designated lose-to-one-of-Anne-Burrell's-team finalist (potentially to Robin Givens, no spoilers, just a theory), who will come from behind, and Johnny Bananas will be the elimination comeback kid until he's finally sent packing. Anne Burrell clearly hates him.

Please, no. Please. I find him (Dave) utterly insufferable, to the point where I cast forward all of his talking heads.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, IndyMischa said:

Please, no. Please. I find him (Dave) utterly insufferable,

I agree.  I wish they'd explain why they keep showing him saying, "Cut it out."  I'm guessing it's a line from some show he's on but I don't know the reference.  

My guess re the finalists is Wells and Robin Givens.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, mlp said:

I agree.  I wish they'd explain why they keep showing him saying, "Cut it out."  I'm guessing it's a line from some show he's on but I don't know the reference.  

My guess re the finalists is Wells and Robin Givens.

"Cut it out" was his catchphrase on Full House, his most famous (/only remotely famous) role. Which ended TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO, DAVE. Ahem. Have I mentioned that I can't stand him?? 

(Yes, I know Fuller House is a thing. I'm pretending not to. Not sorry.) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Aren't Wells and Robin on the same team?  I think it will be Johnny Bananas and Robin (unless of course they do a team swap to even out the sides).  

• Love 2
On 5/27/2020 at 8:56 PM, IndyMischa said:

"Cut it out" was his catchphrase on Full House, his most famous (/only remotely famous) role. Which ended TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO, DAVE. Ahem. Have I mentioned that I can't stand him?? 

(Yes, I know Fuller House is a thing. I'm pretending not to. Not sorry.) 

I think this actually originated on Out of Control, which I have zero idea how I know because it was on when I was 3.

• Useful 1
On 5/11/2020 at 12:48 PM, cameron said:

Turned it off after 10 minutes max.  Deleted the rest of the season from Tivo.

Oh man, I feel you. I'm on the first episode and this may be the most annoying group yet. 

I'm here for Sonja Morgan, though I like the blond commedian. 

Dave Coulier might end up being too obnoxious for me to work through 

• Love 1

The look on Robin’s face when Anne compared her to Sonja was glorious. Not even the most calling out Sonja got today by black women (she also got called out in Twitter by Bernice King).

I wished there was a way it could have been a final two of Bridget and Robin because they are the only two I like, but now I just how Bridget wins.

I was surprised because I thought Robin would be one of the finalists for sure.  I like Bridget but I don't see her being calm enough or quick enough to survive the final cook-off so now I'm thinking it may come down to the two young guys.

The robot who "works for nuts and bolts" made me laugh.

On 5/31/2020 at 11:38 PM, biakbiak said:

The look on Robin’s face when Anne compared her to Sonja was glorious. Not even the most calling out Sonja got today by black women (she also got called out in Twitter by Bernice King).

Can you explain this?  Called out for what?  On a cooking show?  Thanks.

I just want to point out two things.

1. Johnny Bananas is in the finale. 
  2. After next week, the show returns with a new season. We don't even get a week off. 

Please return to your day. Thank you. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I'm happy with the finalists and very glad to see the last of Dave.  Gad, he's annoying.  I like Wells better than Johnny but I think who wins is a toss up.  I wonder what Carson Kressley (love him) is doing there.  

• Love 1

One day, one of these days, someone is going to resist making THE joke when they hear the word “macerate,” right?

Johnny for the loss! Of course he’d think he could get away with calling Anne “bruh.” Hopefully she or Wells can flip him on his back and drag him across the room, a la his greatest Challenge moment.

A4DE920B-9F35-451E-9563-FD380A9FF904.gif

• Love 1
17 hours ago, dmeets said:

One day, one of these days, someone is going to resist making THE joke when they hear the word “macerate,” right?

You get a choice of "macerate" or "spatchcock." I guess "spatchcock" will be for the new season. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Superclam said:

You get a choice of "macerate" or "spatchcock." I guess "spatchcock" will be for the new season. 

I am 12 years old at heart, and always will be. These words will never not be funny. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

So, how's this going to shake out? I've only seen a few of these, but I've never seen a Worst Cooks edition where Anne Burrell's contestant doesn't win. Yet, the only Celebrity Worst Cooks I ever saw was the one with Tonya Harding, so ostensibly the most "famous" person won. In this case, two reality competition(ish) stars at the end is like scraping the bottom of the barrel's bottom of the barrel. I'd never heard of Wes Adams before this, but I'd heard of Johnny Bananas, due to my reality TV viewing habits. So, I might be biased in saying Johnny Bananas is more "famous?" Still, Anne Burrell seems to hate him, and that seems like it plays a role.

Who's going to triumph, long-time viewers: Johnny Bananas' "celebrity" or Anne Burrell and "who the eff is Wes Adams?"

I actually like this final two, but I also liked Bridgett, but felt like Wells has been more consistent.  Once Johnny settled down and started to actually pay attention he has shown that he can do whatever task is put before him.  Glad to see Dave leave - he seemed like a nice enough guy but he was so annoying!

I'm actually hoping for a Wells win simply because I like his fiancé.  Shallow, I know.

• Love 1

I've never seen a single Bachelor Nation episode, so I don't know how Wells is, but I like him here. He's basically a giant self-deprecating dork trapped in the body of a boy band member.

Whereas his opponent is a dude-brah douche with even douchier friends.

• Love 4

With the exception of Dave Coulier's presence, I've rather enjoyed this season. Usually the celebrity version annoys the hell out of me.

There was even a laugh out loud moment for me this week; Bridget said the Fish Shack de Brigit is out at sea and the coast guard isn't even going to try and get her, because she's gone. Cut to a rudimentary video game animation of a ship being struck by lightening, incinerated to black ash and then sinking. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Rahul said:

With the exception of Dave Coulier's presence, I've rather enjoyed this season. Usually the celebrity version annoys the hell out of me.

There was even a laugh out loud moment for me this week; Bridget said the Fish Shack de Brigit is out at sea and the coast guard isn't even going to try and get her, because she's gone. Cut to a rudimentary video game animation of a ship being struck by lightening, incinerated to black ash and then sinking. 

I have mostly enjoyed this crew, too. I feel like the stupid animated stuff has been dialed back. Maybe these players were entertaining enough that they didn't need to pad the episodes with so much crap? We'll see how it goes with the next crew.

And I don't know who either of the final two are outside this show and I am absolutely okay with that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kroliosis said:

What exactly makes someone a ‘chef’ and worthy of the title?

Although there is no single professional organization that determines exactly who is a chef and who is a cook, most agree that the difference lies in education and experience. If you have a culinary degree and/or trained under a notable chef and have moved up the ranks, you are typically considered a chef.

Also

chef

/SHef/

noun

noun: chef; plural noun: chefs

a professional cook, typically the chief cook in a restaurant or hotel.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I meant to make this post earlier this week. I went to binge watch the already aired episodes that were on my DVR last weekend and that turned into a real shit show. It looked like all the episodes had been picked up but only two full ones had been, one was almost a full episode and another seemed to be a ghost recording which looked like it was taking up space that wouldn't play.  I kinda had fun watching what I could with the exception of Dried Up Dave.

It cracks me up everything Anne and Tyler reference something about how "famous" these contestants are.  They made a reference in the previous episode as well as this episode.  Gee Anne and Tyler, these contestants aren't as famous as you think they are...  When the final two are known for reality shows (and Wells was only the bartender on Bachelor in Paradise twice-previously it was Jorge [who was the best]).  

I am looking forward to the finale.

• Love 1