Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Thanks for that!  Is it permissible for me to say I find a priest adorable?

ETA:  I'm not Catholic, but I find him so refreshing and funny.

Me too and me too on both counts.  Plus I like it that he has a BA in Philosophy since I have one too, from a Jesuit university no less.  As you can see, I missed my calling as a Catholic Priest....j/k (because I'm neither Catholic nor a man, LOL). 😉

Not sure about some priests, but given my experience with ones possessing a good sense of humor, I'm sure Fr. Adam would have no problem with you calling him "adorable".

• Love 3

For the first time in years I actually enjoyed a whole episode of Worst. They all had me laughing especially the line "I've had cheese sauce before, but it wasn't called fondue. I think they dumbed it down, because we're idiots". And he says it with a straight face. I didn't have a problem with Gina this ep mainly because Bobby was laughing throughout.  It still amazes me...well not so much....that they send home the worst every ep. Because they will still be the worst....only to come back for the all stars series.

• Love 1

I was hoping it would come down to Adrian and Father Adam but I knew he was doomed when he forgot the cookies.  I got a kick out of his sense of humor.

At least Bobby got rid of the ditzy blonde.  That whole thing with Bobby's glasses was ridiculous.  

I hope Adrian can calm down long enough to win.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Isn't the penultimate usually the episode where they have them make meals for their loved ones?  I guess there's not enough wacky hijinks in that.  🙄

15 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Oh, they did NOT kick off Father Adam and keep the cheerleader.  My only reason for watching. 

My DD thought they were going to auf the women because they got so much air time.  I figured they would keep at least one of the blonde bimbos to satisfy FN's target demographic.  At least they didn't keep both.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Isn't the penultimate usually the episode where they have them make meals for their loved ones?  I guess there's not enough wacky hijinks in that.  🙄

My DD thought they were going to auf the women because they got so much air time.  I figured they would keep at least one of the blonde bimbos to satisfy FN's target demographic.  At least they didn't keep both.

Oh yeah, we didn't get to see them try to poison cook for the loved ones this season, did we?

I suppose "at least they didn't keep them both" is about the best we were going to get.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I knew Anne would never want to send her beloved little cheerleader home but in this case keeping her actually looked like the right decision.  I thought Father Adam's relationship with the cast was heartwarming and genuine, and I was truly sad to see him go - even on this ridiculous farce of a show!  I also called it that Adrian would prevail because what's 'er name was even worse.  Adrian is like a Bronx version of Kramer from Seinfeld, LOL.  He's all over the place and always looks half-startled like someone just woke him up.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I did notice that at one point Anne just had to remind Bobby that she sent Adrian to him and his team (in the trade earlier in the season).  I would bet that if Adrian wins that Anne will try to take credit for him.

Since Anne chose to dump him as an "advantage" to her team for winning a challenge, doesn't sound like she has much to brag on.  

• Love 2

Yo, Adrian!  I live alone and I actually started clapping even though it was pointless LOL.  I was somewhat surprised because the person I want to win never seems to even when their dishes look best to me.  I liked Adrian more and more as the season went on so I'm delighted for him.  Bobby was smart to choose a menu that reflected Adrian's heritage.  

Adrian is cute with his hair pulled back.   🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, mlp said:

Yo, Adrian!  I live alone and I actually started clapping even though it was pointless LOL.  I was somewhat surprised because the person I want to win never seems to even when their dishes look best to me.  I liked Adrian more and more as the season went on so I'm delighted for him.  Bobby was smart to choose a menu that reflected Adrian's heritage.  

I was clapping too!! I like Anne mostly, but she is so superior, thinking she is all that and her cooks will always win. I like to see her taken down a notch once in a while and Bobby seems to be her kryptonite. 

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, rustyspigot said:

AND ok MLP with your Mean Girl "you look cute with your hair pulled back"

I don't understand that comment.  I wasn't trying to be mean.  I seriously thought he looked cute.  

• Love 3

It was a quote from the movie Mean Girls about a guy looking better with his hair pulled back. No worries.

Oh, OK.  I didn't see that movie so the reference was lost on me.  

Seriously, guys, I could not get through this episode with the moronic Ms. American Constantly Chirping Cheerleader and Mr. Hairy Armpits

If you want, tell me who won.  Meanwhile I'll watch reruns of American Horror Story.

(I fell in the shower this morning and am feeling really pissy!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Mr. Hairy Armpits is our current champion. 

Thank you for the heads up!  I'm now watching the most glorious awful  movie in the history of cinema - The Towering Inferno.  Jennifer Jones plunging to her death from the 135th floor with her amazing Liz Taylor wig intact. Awesome.

OK I've got to keep this on topic.  They eat and drink a ton in this movie.  Anne and Bobby must be in the background as extras.

• Love 1

The past couple years, I was complaining about Anne's obnoxious fake-flirting with the hunky male contestants. I apologize. Watching her flirtation with Julianne was ten times worse.  Julianne's combo of Minnie Mouse high pitch and vocal fry might have literally made my ears bleed.  Interesting that the two most stereotypical "dumb blondes" were the last women left standing.  Yay feminism.

I'm glad Adrian won.  Anne of course had to mention that she gave him to Bobby.  "Gave him" translated as "dumped him," which she now wants credit for.  It occurred to me that letting Bobby beat her three times out of three, if there's really some kind of fix in, should send her a clear message as to which of the two of them is the more valuable property at FN.  No contest there.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Maya said:

I’m surprised. I honestly thought all these shows were fixed and it was her turn to beat Bobby Flay. Guess not. 

Or it could be because when pitted against other chefs, Bobby Flay always has to win.  That's why there's a show called "Beat Bobby Flay", because it doesn't happen that often, LOL.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:15 PM, mlp said:

Yeah, Adrian grew on me too as the season progressed.  With Bobby's Latin American culinary background he was just the chef to create the right menu to get him the win.  It seemed far more creative and interesting than Anne's so I had a feeling it would win.  This competition is as much a result of the game play of the mentors as it is about the skill of the cooks.  The judges criticize the dishes as if the contestants chose them when they had nothing to do with it, and I'm sure it counts against them even though it wasn't their choice.

The Bronx is my hometown and my best friend (who still lives there) is named Adrienne, so as you can imagine I used to say "Yo Adrienne" to her a lot when that movie came out and you made me think of her. 🙂

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Or it could be because when pitted against other chefs, Bobby Flay always has to win.  That's why there's a show called "Beat Bobby Flay", because it doesn't happen that often, LOL

Or maybe it's because Bobby is a damn good cook.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The Bronx is my hometown and my best friend (who still lives there) is named Adrienne, so as you can imagine I used to say "Yo Adrienne" to her a lot when that movie came out and you made me think of her. 🙂

My older daughter's name is Adrianne and she gets that a lot.  🙂

6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Marcus Samuelsson once said that Bobby is one of the best chefs in New York.  If Marcus says that, I'm willing to believe it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Marcus Samuelsson once said that Bobby is one of the best chefs in New York.  If Marcus says that, I'm willing to believe it.

NY Times review of Gato in 2014.  Of course, I'm a sucker for anything named Cat.  They gave Bobby 2 stars, which is "very good."

Of the first generation of gunslinging Food Network chefs, Mr. Flay is the only one who stayed in the saddle as the channel’s mission shifted from dump-and-stir cooking lessons to ticking-clock gladiator contests. He also kept his dignity; he acts like a professional, not a cartoon.

I think he works very hard to keep his dignity, no matter how much the producers try to reduce the show to farce.  I also think that as much as Anne thinks she's a good teacher, Bobby is a really good teacher.  Even beyond the $25K, every time Adrian cooks a meal from now on, he can brag that he was trained by Bobby Flay.

(Oh, given that the reviewer was Pete Wells, was the last sentence I quoted a not-so-veiled slap at Guy Fieri?)

• Love 3

I forgot to bitch about how utterly useless Martina McBride was as a judge.  She could have been the starlet on Iron Chef Japan.  Donal Skehan did all the heavy lifting on the critiques.  

For all the gimmicks they've introduced on Chopped, the solid practice that they almost always stick to is have chefs as judges.  There's a reason for that.

• Love 3
On 9/24/2019 at 9:25 AM, chessiegal said:

Oh I'm sure he is, but his ego is huge and a lot of people have thought some of his wins seemed a little fishy, hence sites like this one that theorize that he is only put up against  chefs they think he can easily beat.  I have personally known 2 chefs that went up against him on "Beat Bobby Flay" and both said there was NO WAY his dish was better than theirs.  One of them cooked a signature dish that had helped get them a James Beard Award nomination, and it was something Bobby made sure to mention he had little experience cooking.  Of course they'll always think their dish is better, but I watched those episodes myself and even just based on what I saw I'm skeptical.  Of course if there is any truth to it with nondisclosure agreements we'll likely never know.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2019 at 12:31 AM, Yeah No said:

Oh I'm sure he is, but his ego is huge and a lot of people have thought some of his wins seemed a little fishy, hence sites like this one that theorize that he is only put up against  chefs they think he can easily beat.  I have personally known 2 chefs that went up against him on "Beat Bobby Flay" and both said there was NO WAY his dish was better than theirs.  One of them cooked a signature dish that had helped get them a James Beard Award nomination, and it was something Bobby made sure to mention he had little experience cooking.  Of course they'll always think their dish is better, but I watched those episodes myself and even just based on what I saw I'm skeptical.  Of course if there is any truth to it with nondisclosure agreements we'll likely never know.

Probably most of the chefs who compete against Flay they do it for their own ego and self promotion.

Anyway it is easy to know who cooked each dish: Bobby’s dish is not classic and he always  uses Calabrian Chiles.

only chef Burrell has more ego than Bobby, but I have the feeling that Bobby is mellowing with age, but Anne is getting more and more self conceited.

• Love 2
On 9/26/2019 at 8:24 PM, meowmommy said:

I forgot to bitch about how utterly useless Martina McBride was as a judge.  She could have been the starlet on Iron Chef Japan.  Donal Skehan did all the heavy lifting on the critiques.  

For all the gimmicks they've introduced on Chopped, the solid practice that they almost always stick to is have chefs as judges.  There's a reason for that.

Because Chopped judging is very formulaic: most of the time they say something good and something bad about each dish. It works very well.

i can’t stand comedians as judges, pretending to be funny.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Not sure when the episode for aired but I caught an episode of HH with Jonathan, the opera singer, buying an apartment in NYC.

I saw that one last night, too. It took me a few beats to put together where I "knew" him from.

4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Scott Conant is going to be doing this with Anne; is this supposed to be a hint that they've replaced Bobby with Scott for the next WCIA cycle?

Probably has more to do with Bobby's schedule/availability for filming. I follow Bobby on Instagram. I've lost track of the # of restaurants he owns. He seems to spend time on the line at each new one when they open. I don't know when he sleeps! 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Scott Conant is going to be doing this with Anne; is this supposed to be a hint that they've replaced Bobby with Scott for the next WCIA cycle?

No announcement yet, I guess we'll find out in January. I had to google Scott Conant, but I realized I know him from Chopped. 

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

No announcement yet, I guess we'll find out in January. I had to google Scott Conant, but I realized I know him from Chopped. 

I can't imagine Scott Conant having the patience for five seconds to put up with the shenanigans the producers demand on this show.  All he'd need to see is one red onion or someone break a strand of spaghetti for him to flatten them with a cast iron skillet.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2