Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

If it wasn’t referring to Nancy why would she add the “this time” because she famously has refused to say it in regards to Nancy.

"This time" referred to the fact that Tonya did not have Anne's physical help preparing the meal. There was the run through then the actual preparation of the meal in the finale that Tonya did with her own two hands.

OK....Anne was there to guide her but Anne did not actually have a hand in the meal preparation and plating.

This is how I saw it.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2

I could not change a tire by myself. Yet, if Husband, who is a mechanic, stood next to me and told me step by step what to do, I could change that tire. Could either one of them cook that meal, all by themselves, with absolutely NO guidance whatsoever? If Anne and Tyler were nowhere near that kitchen? If Anne and Tyler had no input whatsoever? I think not. Just like I could not change a tire all by myself. 

• Love 8

So, in that case if she used a "cookbook" she didn't do it by herself either? They're still not making the dinner without assistance. I've watched a number of instructional videos on YouTube or followed a manual. Prep time nothwithstanding, the end product is mine and mine alone.

11 hours ago, luvthepros said:

"This time" referred to the fact that Tonya did not have Anne's physical help preparing the meal. There was the run through then the actual preparation of the meal in the finale that Tonya did with her own two hands.

OK....Anne was there to guide her but Anne did not actually have a hand in the meal preparation and plating.

This is how I saw it.

And others saw it differently particularly given several interviews that used the same phrasing.

Here is my thing I completely think she was in on it but even if I give her the benefit of the doubt and my partner and friend harmed a human being in my name I would at least feel empathy for the victim and she clearly has not done that not at the time or in the years since when she no longer worries about criminal prosecution. Again this is based on her own attitude in interviews and not “media intervention”. In her many incarnations this is also not the only time she has made light of what happened to Nancy.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Domoarigato said:

So, in that case if she used a "cookbook" she didn't do it by herself either? They're still not making the dinner without assistance. I've watched a number of instructional videos on YouTube or followed a manual. Prep time nothwithstanding, the end product is mine and mine alone.

Well, to be fair I think there's a big difference between using a cookbook and having your hand held every step of the way.  A cookbook won't tell you to watch your frying pan because your meat is going to burn or that your knife cuts are not uniform.  I don't know if I'm remembering wrong but it does seem like the chefs do more hand holding now than in earlier seasons, which makes me feel that the result isn't as much "theirs and theirs alone" as it should be.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Well, to be fair I think there's a big difference between using a cookbook and having your hand held every step of the way.  A cookbook won't tell you to watch your frying pan because your meat is going to burn or that your knife cuts are not uniform.  I don't know if I'm remembering wrong but it does seem like the chefs do more hand holding now than in earlier seasons, which makes me feel that the result isn't as much "theirs and theirs alone" as it should be.

I think that frantic shouting from the sidelines is more due to the time clock for creating a sense of urgency/excitement for the television viewing audience. If they were granted ample time, say an hour cooking by themselves, and the coaches still watched on closed-circuit TV it would be bore us all to tears. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, biakbiak said:

A great example of media manipulation is the PR campaign rehabbing Tonya’s image in order to sell tickets and win awards for the movie about her life.

Yes. Thanks for phrasing it so well.

Worst cooks, celebrity edition is an example of "media manipulation. "

11 hours ago, Domoarigato said:

Sue, if you're cooking for family and friends. Not if you're in a cooking competition.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Here is my thing I completely think she was in on it but even if I give her the benefit of the doubt and my partner and friend harmed a human being in my name I would at least feel empathy for the victim and she clearly has not done that not at the time or in the years since when she no longer worries about criminal prosecution. Again this is based on her own attitude in interviews and not “media intervention”. In her many incarnations this is also not the only time she has made light of what happened to Nancy.

This is what gets me as well.  Nancy was lucky she wasn't permanently maimed or crippled for life.

What concerns me here is that Tonya is now a Food Network champion and as such may be brought back for future appearances.  I don't think we've seen the last of her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Domoarigato said:

So then I guess we all agree that the entire point of this show is moot? It’s really a competition between two chefs and the actual contestants are just their crash test dummies? 

Maybe but I also thought all of Tyler’s food looked better.  

One of Anne’s desserts looked dry and terrible.   I say this as someone who burns toast   

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

It’s really a competition between two chefs and the actual contestants are just their crash test dummies? 

There's actually a lot of truth to that.  At the end of the last non-celebrity WC, Tyler and Anne directed every step right down to calling out measurements.  The two competitors made no independent decisions at all.  They just followed directions and stirred.  The last episode of this show wasn't much better.

• Love 5
(edited)

And yet those little kids on Masterchef Junior cooked some amazing dishes all on their own. Totally by themselves!!

WC adults should. be ashamed!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, mlp said:

There's actually a lot of truth to that.  At the end of the last non-celebrity WC, Tyler and Anne directed every step right down to calling out measurements.  The two competitors made no independent decisions at all.  They just followed directions and stirred.  The last episode of this show wasn't much better.

Tonya asked Anne to tell her when to stop when pouring in the liquid nitrogen to the ice cream. The idea that Anne/Tyler can't touch or taste the food doesn't hold as much weight as it once did when they can stand on the other side of the table and tell them everything to do, when to do it, and in what order. 

• Love 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, Domoarigato said:

So then I guess we all agree that the entire point of this show is moot? It’s really a competition between two chefs and the actual contestants are just their crash test dummies? 

Actually, I do believe that much of the Celebrity Edition version is pre-determined.  A lot of the over the top schtick seems rehearsed and scripted, nothing seems authentic. It's not a real competition,  it's a bunch of celebrities reviving their careers, showcasing charities.  That's kind of a given when you have a "celebrity " version of a show. It's not farfetched to think that it's not a real contest, that the show producers know which celebrity they want to win.

I just dont think Tonya , as a disgraced former athlete, deserves the same "celebrity " status as actors and comics trying to revive their careers.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 9
On 6/5/2019 at 5:21 PM, Gramto6 said:

And yet those little kids on Masterchef Junior cooked some amazing dishes all on their own. Totally by themselves!!

WC adults should. be ashamed!

Maybe in the finals, but in the restaurant episode Aaron never left the kitchen.

(edited)

Jeeze, I got over seeing Tonya on TV a decade ago, watching "World's Dumbest..."  I still enjoy watching those reruns on occasion when my DVR suggests it  My wife likes this show (WCinA) more than I do.  The civilian ones can be fun for a while, but I think this was the first time I actually got all the way to the end of a Celebrity edition.  Never made it past (or maybe through) one episode before.  No big surprises past the second episode for me this season, though.  I was calling it from a mile away every week.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2019 at 11:30 PM, eliot90000 said:

None of which excuses hiring a hit man to kneecap Kerrigan with a crowbar.  Harding isn’t trash because she got bad breaks.  She’s trash because she’s a terrible person.  I think this show has been really dishonest about the way it has promoted her.  

She was convicted of hindering the prosecution of her abusive ex, not for hiring the “hitman”. Oregon prosecutors didn’t have the evidence to prove it or they would have.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Domoarigato said:

She was convicted of hindering the prosecution of her abusive ex, not for hiring the “hitman”. Oregon prosecutors didn’t have the evidence to prove it or they would have.

Not having enough evidence only matters in the court of law. Others can weigh the evidence and have their own thoughts about people’s guilt/innocence and culpability.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Not having enough evidence only matters in the court of law. Others can weigh the evidence and have their own thoughts about people’s guilt/innocence and culpability.

They should but using critical thinking isn't the masses strong suit. They'll usually believe whatever slant the media instills and their misleading headlines. At worst will base their decision on race, class, gender, education level, body type, career ambition, and adherence to social norms. The Richard Jewell case exemplifies this and currently has a movie in the making starring the same man that played Tonya Harding's bodyguard in "I, Tonya".

• Love 4

Bobby Flay Is Back With Anne Burrell In WORST COOKS IN AMERICA To Premiere Sunday, August 4th at 9PM (all times ET/PT)

This season’s recruits are:

• Idriss Alison (Bronx, New York);
  • Jonathan Beyer (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania);
  • Sharon Grant (Dallas, Texas);
  • Terry Grawey (Peoria, Illinois);
  • Nina Kharoufeh (New York, New York);
  • Gina Lam (San Diego, California);
  • Kayla Longstreth (Firestone, Colorado);
  • Mercedes "Sadie" Manda (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania);
  • Karma Ann Moody (Hayesville, North Carolina);
  • Adrian Read (Bronx, New York);
  • Juliann Sheldon (Charlotte, North Carolina);
  • Peter Smerlas (Waltham, Massachusetts);
  • Father Adam Young (Cranston, Rhode Island) and
  • Laith Wallschleger (Tampa, Florida)

The season culminates in the finale on Sunday, September 22nd at 9pm with the final two most-improved recruits preparing a three-course restaurant-quality meal for guest judges Vivian Chan, Martina McBride and Donal Skehan.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Haven't we only been without an edition of Worst Cooks for like a week? (I know it's been longer but geez.)

I follow Anne on IG and I swear she is constantly filming this show!

7 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Haven't we only been without an edition of Worst Cooks for like a week? (I know it's been longer but geez.)

Seriously, it's been about 4 weeks. It'll be maybe 2 months off when the next one starts. I don't know if I can this time. 

If it's shown against Preacher, I'm not watching it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Superclam said:

Seriously, it's been about 4 weeks. It'll be maybe 2 months off when the next one starts. I don't know if I can this time. 

Exactly! They won't stay gone long enough for us to miss them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think Bobby Flay must have an identical twin nobody knows about.  I don't know how he finds time to do everything he does.  In any event, I'm glad he's going to be back on WC.  He and Anne were amusing together.

• Love 4

As I commented on the Food Network Channel thread, this show has become like Hell's Kitchen.  A (supposedly) new season is coming out every time you turn around but it's always the same thing.  

On 6/27/2019 at 6:38 PM, jcbrown said:

Haven't we only been without an edition of Worst Cooks for like a week?

Look at the bright side.  If he's doing this he's not doing (Next) Food Network Star.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

So if I have to think of some positive things to say: at least I'll get to turn my brain off for ~40 minutes/week watching some people who think it is fun to be goaded into acting like they have no brains, there will be no odious reptilian Irvine on the judging panel, Tonya Harding will not be involved, and there is always a remote chance Anne will lose.

There! Sunshine and rainbows, no?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, mlp said:

I wonder if the cat Bobby is holding is one of Anne's.  I know she has two and I'm pretty sure Bobby's Nacho is orange.

Yes they are both Anne’s, I should have mentioned that Nacho wasn’t pictured!

• Love 4

I still haven't bothered to watch the celebrity version, though it is sitting on my DVR.  Maybe some day I feel like watching it and will hold a marathon viewing.  

In case anyone is interested, Worst Bakers in America is starting on Monday.  It is only in its second season, so I hope it's going to be better than the sorry thing Worst Cooks became.

• Love 2
On 7/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, Hellga said:

I still haven't bothered to watch the celebrity version, though it is sitting on my DVR.  Maybe some day I feel like watching it and will hold a marathon viewing.  

In case anyone is interested, Worst Bakers in America is starting on Monday.  It is only in its second season, so I hope it's going to be better than the sorry thing Worst Cooks became.

Carla and David from Worst Cooks were on S1 of Worst Bakers, for what it's worth. Is there a forum for Worst Bakers or are we supposed to talk about it here?

(edited)
39 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Is it embarrassing that we're looking for one?  😉

LOL I know how bad was it? But I love the snark!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

There was a forum at one point- but I don’t think there’s been a worst bakers season since this site was reformatted, so there probably isn’t one now.

How does someone make one?

(edited)
12 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

How does someone make one?

There are only 8 contestants and it seems like the series will be short -- it's only on until the next iteration of Worst Cooks starts in August.  So perhaps we don't really need one?

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1