Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't believe I didn't post on this season at all until now that it's over.  I was just so annoyed every week and a lot of my other shows are airing right now.  I knew I wouldn't be alone here in thinking Brett got robbed and that Allison was annoying.  Every week I thought for sure she would go home and it got to the point that I couldn't take her goofy bucked tooth grin a minute longer.  Sorry if that's shallow but she put me so off in just about every way and I do believe Anne was favoring her.  I wasn't unhappy that Brittany won, though.  Anyone but Allison, lol.

• Love 3
(edited)

I looked at Allison's blog. Someone here posted a link. The goofy buck toothed persona is fake, IMHO. It's all an act. She is absolutely beautiful IRL. Like gorgeous. NOTHING like who she portrays on this show.

Edited by Westiepeach
31 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Hey! They didn’t do a Cook for Your Loved Ones episode!

Yes, this season they skipped it.

This was a really boring final.  And Allison won.  Meh.  

Allison won. Who wasn't surprised by that?

I liked the finale episodes better when the mentors had to keep their distance. Anne and Tyler, but to a greater extent Anne, were doing everything but cooking the dishes for them.

I was also hoping that we'd seen the last of Jess when she co-won Food Network Star. Ugh.

• Love 6

I had no interest in actually watching the episode - I was playing an online game and listening pretty much the entire time - and I feel like this season and this final were the most boring yet.  Useless and uninspiring as far as cooking goes and boring as far as participants with their always the same antics.  Not sure whether I will watch the next season.  I think the last couple seasons I was taping them and watching them all over a single weekend when I was in the mood for something like this.  Maybe that's what I will do...   

• Love 2

It seems to me, and maybe I don’t remember correctly, but in the earlier days of this show the finalists actually cooked on their own with just a little help. They went through the menu with the mentor but on the day of the cook they were on their own with just a little help. As far as I could see, these finalists were helped every step of the way through the final cook. Tyler and Anne might as well have cooked the dishes themselves... This show has become a joke and I am done watching it... 

• Love 12

What was up with the "The End.....?" like some bad horror movie.   Is this supposed to be the last season of this show?   It certainly feels like it's time to retire it given how campy, formulaic and overexposed it's become. 

• Love 4
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Maverick said:

What was up with the "The End.....?" like some bad horror movie.   Is this supposed to be the last season of this show?   It certainly feels like it's time to retire it given how campy, formulaic and overexposed it's become. 

Totally agree, this show has jumped the shark, over cooked it, and  under seasoned it!!  

Edited by Gramto6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I realize that it’s been this way for awhile but it really annoys me that there is nothing in the final meal that reflects on the contestant. Brittany didn’t know most of the things she made and while Allison’s menu was things she was more familiar with but it still didn’t have anything to do with her.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

It certainly feels like it's time to retire it given how campy, formulaic and overexposed it's become. 

Formulaic is as accurate a word as you can find for this show. You could easily sub in an episode from 5 years ago and not know the difference. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Not a fan of any of the three judges (especially Jess).  Hardly recognized  Chef Michael P. with his weight gain and moustache.  He looks like an old greek fisherman now.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, tomorrowgirl said:

Does Anne's team always have to win?

She has won a majority 9-6. Robert won last year. She is currently filming now and Tyler is filming TGFTR so who knows who she will be up against.

12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Totally agree, this show has jumped the shark, over cooked it, and  under seasoned it!!  

I agree.  Allison was beyond a train wreck and annoying.  She could barely keep it together in the finale.  I don't really believe her food was the better choice either.  What Anne saw in her I'll never know as Brett was better.  To make matters even worse, Jess Tom, one of the winners of last year's FNS was a judge.  I haven't seen her since she won thankfully, and hope I never have to see her again.  She was OTT snarky and full of herself here.  How did they ever make Christian share his win with her?  She must know TPTB at FN.  Right now I feel like I'm done with this show.  I usually don't let it upset me because I look at it as just sideshow comedy by now.  It's got to be bad for me to be this upset.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I realize that it’s been this way for awhile but it really annoys me that there is nothing in the final meal that reflects on the contestant. Brittany didn’t know most of the things she made and while Allison’s menu was things she was more familiar with but it still didn’t have anything to do with her.

Agreed.  I also hate how Jess Tom kept criticizing things about the dish that weren't under the contestants' control.  If the criticism is that the dish is not balanced in terms of ingredients, that's the mentors' responsibility, not the contestant and I don't feel that under those circumstances it's fair to take it out on the contestant.  They're just following orders.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Agreed.  I also hate how Jess Tom kept criticizing things about the dish that weren't under the contestants' control.  If the criticism is that the dish is not balanced in terms of ingredients, that's the mentors' responsibility, not the contestant and I don't feel that under those circumstances it's fair to take it out on the contestant.  They're just following orders.

That's a good point and I totally agree. I wonder if the judging would be different if the judges knew the contestants were replicating something the mentors created. Nah, who am I kidding, Anne would still win. The finale is always boring but this one was even more so than usual.

ETA I also agree it makes no sense for the contestants to have no say in the meal they make. I don't know why I watch this stupid show.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 5

Not a fan of any of the three judges (especially Jess).  Hardly recognized  Chef Michael P. with his weight gain and moustache.  

Me neither.  I didn't like Jess on FNS and she seemed even worse on this show.  Michael Psilakis used to look a lot like Michael Symon and I couldn't see any resemblance last night.  I didn't even recognize him.  I've never cared for him or Debi Mazar either.

I lost interest in who would win after Brett was eliminated but I ended up hoping Brittany would beat Allison the flake.  I don't understand why Anne seemed to be so invested in her.  I remember her doing a little gloating over previous wins but I don't recall her really caring about the person who won - with tears in her eyes no less.  

Allison and Brittany have to be the weakest finalists ever on this show.  Anne and Tyler did everything except put the ingredients together and stir.  Anne was even calling out specific measurements.  In the end, based upon what editing allowed us to see, I thought Brittany had it won so I was surprised by the final decision.

• Love 9

I agree with everything that you all have written and observed.  I will add, however, that it was quite telling (as in telling who would win) when Jess stated that she wanted more texture in Brittany's dessert when there was texture provided by the wafer cookie and yet Jess didn't say a thing about texture when eating Allison's trifle.  I love a good trifle, but there is no crispness or texture like that of Brittany's dessert.

For a moment I was really surprised that Allison won and then I remembered whose show I was watching.  And, even though it has been mentioned numerous times by numerous posters, I just didn't like Allison throughout the whole season.  Oh, and I thought we were supposed to find out why she always wore the fanny pack...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mlp said:

I lost interest in who would win after Brett was eliminated but I ended up hoping Brittany would beat Allison the flake.  I don't understand why Anne seemed to be so invested in her.  I remember her doing a little gloating over previous wins but I don't recall her really caring about the person who won - with tears in her eyes no less.  

Allison and Brittany have to be the weakest finalists ever on this show.  Anne and Tyler did everything except put the ingredients together and stir.  Anne was even calling out specific measurements.  In the end, based upon what editing allowed us to see, I thought Brittany had it won so I was surprised by the final decision. 

And even with the over-the-top hand-holding you still got the feeling Allison had no idea what she was doing, Brittany a little less so. 

• Love 4

I will add, however, that it was quite telling (as in telling who would win) when Jess stated that she wanted more texture in Brittany's dessert when there was texture provided by the wafer cookie 

That wasn't really a valid criticism anyway.  Tyler made all the decisions about what Brittany should prepare as did Anne for Allison.  Both "worst cooks" were just following orders.  Neither made any independent decisions.

• Love 5
Just now, mlp said:

That wasn't really a valid criticism anyway.  Tyler made all the decisions about what Brittany should prepare as did Anne for Allison.  Both "worst cooks" were just following orders.  Neither made any independent decisions.

I remember at least in the earlier years the contestants got to toss back-and-forth ideas with their chef, or Anne and Robert/Tyler/Bobby would ask them what they liked to cook or is there a particular dish they liked or wanted to try. Now it's basically a more-intensive version of the main dish challenges, where the mentors show them how to make the meal and the recruits have to replicate it exactly. 

• Love 3

I think that one reason why Anne chose Allison is because Allison appeared to show LOTS of "enthusiasm." I noticed throughout the season that Anne would ask contestants if they were enjoying the process, etc.  My take is that she's looking for somebody who seems to show a lot of passion for cooking and winning. Whether Allison was faking or not, we'll never know,  Anne also doesn't care for contestants who "talk back" to her or don't follow instructions. I had Carmella (? I have already forgotten her name) as the winner early on, because she seemed to have talent, However, as the weeks progressed, she seemed determined to do things her own way. On the week that she was snarky to Anne was the week she was sent home. Those chefs have GIANT egos.

I felt that Tyler at least tried somewhat to choose a menu that appealed to Britney's personal taste, since he noticed she gravitated towards Asian/lighter fare.  Still ... 

Ugh ... I had completely forgotten about Jess. What a pretentious bitch. The only constructive (?) notes she could offer were to gripe about "texture," more than once.

What I thought was that when Allison and Britney chose the dishes that they wanted to learn how to prepare that that was what they'd prepare for the judging. But ... NO!  It would have been hilarious is each recruit learned how to prepare their favorite dish, then as a surprise twist, make their opponent prepare it for the final judging. Now, I wouldn't have found that as boring!

• Love 6

Both ladies at the end were meh.  The dumb model routine wore thin.  The skittish buck toothed act was also tiresome.  The only episode I enjoy is where they have to describe a dish to the mentors to cook.

I absolutely did not recognize Michael Psilakis.  

I think I’m out on this one.  Too campy.  Too fake.  Feels like actors playing roles.

• Love 2

Anne Burrell and Tyler Florence Mentor All-Star Recruits Of Worst Cooks In America: Celebrity Edition in Seven-Episode Season Premiering Sunday, April 21st at 9pm ET/PT

This season’s celebrity recruits are: Jim J. Bullock, Morgan Fairchild, Tonya Harding, Jonathan Lipnicki, Taryn Manning, Alec Mapa, Kym Whitley and Jimmie Walker.

In the season premiere, the eight celebrity recruits arrive in boot camp, and Anne and Tyler ask them each to cook their favorite restaurant dish to see how they measure up to the original.  Then, the chefs teach the celebrities how to make a classic steakhouse meal.  Upcoming episodes feature a food trivia-inspired game night, sushi challenge, and Chopped-style battle.  In the finale on Sunday, June 2nd at 9pm, the two most-improved cooks must create a restaurant-quality meal for guest judges Leah Cohen, Zac Posen and Melba Wilson.

• Useful 1

Celebrity Edition - Spring 2019 Predictions

Jim J. Bullock - He's funny in very small doses or as Monroe on that one TV show. He will annoy me before the first commercial break. 

Morgan Fairchild - I constantly get her confused with Farrah Fawcett for no discernable reason (as Farrah is dead). I know she's an actress but I've never really watched her. Only in those Old Navy commercials. 

Tonya Harding - Will talk a good game, set something on fire, and cry at some point. She will mention her wrestling career. 

Jonathan Lipnicki - He was just in that one movie when he was little, right? I think maybe he'll be there to for real learn how to cook because I think he's in his early-mid 20s when it's time to learn how to feed yourself?

Taryn Manning - I have no opinion on her. I watched 8 Mile, she was in that. She'll probably annoy me. 

Alec Mapa - I don't know who this is. I looked at his Wikipedia and thought I knew, but then realized I confused him for someone else. 

Kym Whitley - I've watched some of the stuff listed on her Wikipedia page, but I don't know who she is either. 

Jimmie Walker - Dynomite! He will annoy me before the first commercial break.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, justjen said:

Jonathan Lipnicki - He was just in that one movie when he was little, right? I think maybe he'll be there to for real learn how to cook because I think he's in his early-mid 20s when it's time to learn how to feed yourself?

How dare anyone forget his arc on Dawson’s Creek as Pacey’s “little brother”! 

He has been in more than Jerry Maguire and is still trying to be a working actor.  

10 hours ago, Maverick said:

Seriously?   This show is back so soon?  Give it (and more importantly us) a rest already.  

I cannot agree more. This is the third season in a row. At least wait until the summer. 

The bigger question is why I'm definitely going to watch it. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I just remembered that I saw Jim J. Bullock in a US Tour version of Kinky Boots a few years ago and how slightly star struck I was to be in the same room as Monroe!!! Now I know he's going to annoy me and I'll get to come here and complain about him! 

I also recently saw Richard Kline (Larry on Three's Company) in the US Tour version of Waitress and I was equally star struck, but I don't think he would annoy me. Can we switch one 80s tv character for a better one? 

• LOL 2

I'll answer my own question. Although the tv & DVR guides say it premiers on Sunday (4/21), the first episode is available on demand, on Spectrum at least. 

I'm going to spoil it for everyone: it's exactly the same as every season before it. 

• LOL 6
19 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I'll answer my own question. Although the tv & DVR guides say it premiers on Sunday (4/21), the first episode is available on demand, on Spectrum at least. 

I'm going to spoil it for everyone: it's exactly the same as every season before it. 

My DVR did not record the first episode either. I watched it today ON DEMAND.

Sorry for the spoiler. OOPS!

• LOL 1

I'd heard of two of the contestants - Tonya Harding, who's obviously had a pretty good nose job at some point, and Morgan Fairchild, who's obviously had to much plastic surgery/botox, since her face has no expression. I could drag up his name to save my soul, but I recognized him when they showed the Jerry Maguire still.  He seems okay, but if he says "Show me the money" every episode, he will lose any sympathy.

Didn't know any of the others, but I didn't grow up in the States, and I only have very basic cable, so this is par for course for me.

As usual, half of them are way too loud and frenetic, except for the young woman from Orange is the New Black, who seemed like she was wasted.

And I'm no germaphobe, but if I saw someone drying my plate on her boob, I would not be eating off it. 

If I keep watching, I'll probably mute most of it and do stuff on my computer.

On the plus side, Anne and Tyler did actually demonstrate their dish, and the gimmicky graphics were at a minimum.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1

Jimmy Walker and Jm J Bollock were on American tv shows in the 70s and 80s, respectively. Neither of them have worked much since, but have managed to have careers on shows like this. I don't know the woman with the wig, or the small gay man, who's schtick seems to be announcing that he's gay every 5 minutes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yeah right Tonya Harding people remember you for your skating. 

Exactly.  I'm sort of appalled that FN is using her on a show.  I knew the name Morgan Fairchild but I had no idea why and I also had no idea what she looked like.  I did remember Jimmy Walker from decades ago.  He looked like he's not well.  I'd never heard of any of the rest of them.  I kept looking at Taryn Manning and wondering how someone so dull and unattractive ever got to be a "star."  

So far, I like Alec and the tall guy with glasses and maybe the young guy.  That can easily change with a little more exposure.

I'm still ticked that Brett didn't win last season.

• Love 7

My DVR recorded this but I'm in no especial hurry to watch it.  Don't they realize the audience is barely hanging on and putting new seasons on too soon after one just aired is only going to make them realize what a time waster it is and drive them away?  It's probably time to reconsider watching a show when I somehow can't shake the feeling that Morgan Fairchild has already been on it.