Type keyword(s) to search

The West Wing - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

Joshua Malina guested on The Good Doctor last night and I cant tell you the disappointment I had when the episode ended without one scene with Richard Schiff.

Would it have killed them to have someone wheel Joshua out and have him see Richard and shout out "Hey Toby" ala "Hey Salami" in  St Elsewhere's 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Good thing I also still have my DVD sets for all 7 seasons.  

The pamphlet that came with season 5 had an awesome picture of Martin Sheen throwing out the first pitch.  Sadly, I've lost the pamphlet and cannot find the picture online.  

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is this it?

Thanks, but that's not it.  And it's a great picture.  Martin Sheen is in full follow-through, with his back leg in the air and everything.  It's the only picture I remember from the inserts. 

• Love 1

From The Lame Duck Congress

Konanov - Errand boys is what they sent me. I'm a reformer. And I will lead the Ukraine, and you know this. And they sent me errand boys!

And:

Bartlet - Vasily, you're a reformer and you're going to do good things in Eastern Europe and I'm looking forward to the day when you're President. But until that time comes, my State Department deals with the government of the Ukraine. Now you can go home and so exactly what you wanted to do. To say you met with the President of the United States.

And from A Change Is Gonna Come:

Charlie - According to Mr. Squire here, the president cannot accept a gift from a foreign government if doing so would violate U. S. law, establish a quid pro quo, or adversely affect the foreign relations of the United States. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but these quotes make me laugh and cry at the same time.   But I will also add that this show is still relevant, and it remains a source of inspiration.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 11/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, Driad said:
On 11/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, Driad said:

Today's Jeopardy game had a Latin vocabulary category. One clue was "posse _______." None of the contenders got it. Isn't TWW part of what they study?

Of course I shouted out 'commitatus'  to my tv.  I was dissappointed that James Holzhauer didn't get it.  TWW makes you smart.  If only Jed Bartlet were president.....

Even my dyed in the wool Republican brother says he would vote for Jed if he were running.  Of course he loves TWW almost as much as I do..

• Love 4
3 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but these quotes make me laugh and cry at the same time. But I will also add that this show is still relevant, and it remains a source of inspiration. 

Do you listen to The West Wing Weekly podcast? You're experiencing what they call an "Aye Yi Yi Moment" which there are a lot of when you watch the show these days...

• Love 5
15 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Do you listen to The West Wing Weekly podcast? You're experiencing what they call an "Aye Yi Yi Moment" which there are a lot of when you watch the show these days...

I haven't listened to the podcasts, and for the moment my attention is fixed--well, elsewhere.   Recent events have given me a new sense of optimism, which is embodied in the show.  I recently began a re-watch, hence my Aye Yi Yi moments.  

• Love 1

How quaint.

Claudia Jean 'C.J.' Cregg: "You guys are like Butch and Sundance peering over the edge of a cliff to the boulder-filled rapids 300 feet below, thinking you better not jump 'cause there's a chance you might drown. The President has this disease and has been lying about it, and you guys are worried that the polling might make us look bad? It's the fall that's gonna kill ya."

• Love 10

Mary Marsh: It was only a matter of time with you, Josh. That New York sense of humor was just a little...

Rev. Al Caldwell: Mary, there's no need to...

Mary Marsh: Reverend, please! They think they're so much smarter! They think it's smart talk, but nobody else does.

Josh: I'm actually from Connecticut. But that's neither here nor there; the point is, Mary, I...

Toby: She meant "Jewish."  When she said "New York sense of humor." She was talking about you and me.

• Love 3

So there was a twitter thread about must watch Christmas stuff other than It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Story, Elf and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and after the perfunctory White Christmas and the debate about Die Hard, someone said "Noel ...from The West Wing". 

Genius! But of course, that got me thinking and while it is hard to argue with Noel or In Exclesis Deo, personally, I'll go with Bartlett for America...but then again it is always my first choice of ANY TWW episode! So, obviously, there will be a re-watch this weekend and it'll get a little dusty as Mrs. L talks about "her boys" and the look on Charlie's face at that moment or Toby's as the guns are fired....as well as "a guy 's walking down the street, when....", but I'll take B4A in a close race! 

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, AriAu said:

So there was a twitter thread about must watch Christmas stuff other than It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Story, Elf and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and after the perfunctory White Christmas and the debate about Die Hard, someone said "Noel ...from The West Wing". 

Genius! But of course, that got me thinking and while it is hard to argue with Noel or In Exclesis Deo, personally, I'll go with Bartlett for America...but then again it is always my first choice of ANY TWW episode! So, obviously, there will be a re-watch this weekend and it'll get a little dusty as Mrs. L talks about "her boys" and the look on Charlie's face at that moment or Toby's as the guns are fired....as well as "a guy 's walking down the street, when....", but I'll take B4A in a close race! 

You're right @AriAu, Mrs. Landingham telling the story about her boys to Charlie gets me every time.

• Love 5

I am watching TWW for the first time (didn’t own a TV when it began). I find it to be a great opiate without side effects, and not just as an antidote to current political craziness as noted in this new NY Times article. TWW is good medicine for both chronic physical pain and mental anguish due to unsolvable problems. I’m almost through season 5. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7
On 9/24/2019 at 5:04 AM, shapeshifter said:

I was not really a TV watcher when TWW first aired, and just began watching it for the first time when a daughter gave me Netflix for last Mothers Day. 

Like the author of this article describes, it is both “depressing” and “hopeful.” 

Watching it for the first time now (just finished 4.3 last night) I feel like I have opened a time capsule 20 years after the apocalypse. 

But not only do I have better technology with which to view this time capsule’s contents than did the contemporaries it depicts, and not only does this time capsule heartbreakingly reveal the social interactions of an extinct way of life, but the quality of the writing, directing, and acting would be enthralling on its own to any TV archaeologist. 

Anyway, I feel kind of indescribably special watching it for the first time now, and wonder if Sorkin or any of the others involved in the show had any inkling of preserving a snapshot of the peak of political self-awareness and moral introspection for a future generation after the apocalypse. 

article originally published at https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/media/2019/07/19/watching-the-west-wing-20-years-later-both-sad-and-hopeful/1721335001/

Almost a complete ditto, not a mother's day gift but I started in Sept as well, and now with the Netflix news will be scurrying to finish it all before it's gone from Netflix.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:09 PM, sinkwriter said:

I actually grew to like that scene. That moment when he drops his cigarette butt was so startling and disrespectful in the setting, it was both shocking and remarkable, because in any other circumstance as an adult, there's no way Bartlet would do that. He's so strong in his Catholicism. But he was so angry, because of what happened to Mrs. Landingham and Josh, so he lashed out. So the cigarette butt moment felt really powerful and almost gasp-worthy to me. He was almost saying, "I'm done with you. I don't believe in you anymore. How could you do this? How could you let it happen?" After all his reverence for his faith (especially in previous episodes like Take This Sabbath Day), it was painful yet understanding to see him rail against his God in that moment.

I agree.  I don't have to believe in any of it to understand how HE had to be feeling in that moment.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:45 AM, wknt3 said:

Something to do when my binge ends, or rather when Netflix broadcasting it ends.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:23 PM, ProudMary said:

How quaint.

Claudia Jean 'C.J.' Cregg: "You guys are like Butch and Sundance peering over the edge of a cliff to the boulder-filled rapids 300 feet below, thinking you better not jump 'cause there's a chance you might drown. The President has this disease and has been lying about it, and you guys are worried that the polling might make us look bad? It's the fall that's gonna kill ya."

One of my favorite lines.  Of many.

I'd love a reboot, but it's hard to imagine now.   

--

ETA

Are the DVD extras good?  Oh, and holy hell at "Josh" growing up to be "Commander Lawrence!"  I actually had to google that to be sure it was the same guy!

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

RIP Buck Henry....

Buck Henry had a small acting role in (beyond being the writer of)  The Graduate with

Dustin Hoffman who was in Little Fockers with

Teri Polo....New Flotus even tho she didn't get the last spot on the varsity swim team or get Don (something or other) to take her to the Prom

• Love 2

In last night's episode of Perfect Harmony, Josh Molina served with Bradley Whitford as a judge in a local talent contest.  

It's always good to see TWW castmates together again.

And yes, I loved the Single Care commercial with Martin Sheen!

• Love 3

So with Netflix dropping the show (BOOOOO), I am currently collecting the DVDs (YAY!), and having just completed my re-watch of season 1, my opinion remains the same as it did when I first watched the show nearly three years ago: When I watch Josh and Donna onscreen together, I see a brother and sister type relationship, not two potential love interests. I'll see how I feel as my re-watch continues, but as I remember it, the only reason I bought anything between them by the end is because the writing gave me no choice in the matter. Because just watching them again as boss and employee...it doesn't come across to me at all; that kind of chemistry just isn't there, IMO. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, UYI said:

So with Netflix dropping the show (BOOOOO), I am currently collecting the DVDs (YAY!), and having just completed my re-watch of season 1, my opinion remains the same as it did when I first watched the show nearly three years ago: When I watch Josh and Donna onscreen together, I see a brother and sister type relationship, not two potential love interests. I'll see how I feel as my re-watch continues, but as I remember it, the only reason I bought anything between them by the end is because the writing gave me no choice in the matter. Because just watching them again as boss and employee...it doesn't come across to me at all; that kind of chemistry just isn't there, IMO. 

The way Josh always yelled “Donna!” seemed to me like she should have resented him IRL (I sure would have added him to my list of men I am so glad to not be married to), but I guess the writers did manage to believably spin the “I’ve grown accustomed to your face ♫” story by the end. The turning point seemed to be when Donna was in the hospital in Germany and needed to go back for more emergency surgery, and she asked for Josh instead of the photographer lover because she could tell Josh she was afraid, and if she was going to die, theirs was an actual relationship worth having last words. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The turning point seemed to be when Donna was in the hospital in Germany and needed to go back for more emergency surgery, and she asked for Josh instead of the photographer lover because she could tell Josh she was afraid, and if she was going to die, theirs was an actual relationship worth having last words. 

Plus, the fact that Josh was in Germany.  

• Love 1
On 2/5/2019 at 6:00 PM, Driad said:

from "He Shall from Time to Time":

President Josiah Bartlet: I came to this hallowed chamber one year ago on a mission, to restore the American dream for all our people as we gaze at the vast horizon of possibilities open to us... in the 321st century. Wow, that was ambitious of me, wasn't it?

Sam Seaborn: Leo.

Leo McGarry: Let's take a break.

President Josiah Bartlet: We meant stronger here right?

Sam Seaborn: What's it say?

President Josiah Bartlet: I'm proud to report our country's stranger than it was a year ago.

Sam Seaborn: That's a typo.

President Josiah Bartlet: Could go either way.

[reposting for semi-timeliness]

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

I follow a page about TWW on Facebook. Yesterday they posted that as of December, the show will be streaming exclusively on the new HBO Max service. So plan accordingly (do whatever you need to to retain access to the eps without having to subscribe to HBO Max to watch it).

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Yesterday they posted that as of December, the show will be streaming exclusively on the new HBO Max service.

Well, crap  Glad I got the first several seasons on DVD.  I think those were the best ones anyway.

• Love 2

20th Anniversary Commemorative TWW T-shirts, Sweatshirts, Tank Tops, Phone Cases, & Mugs available at this link. I got it through a Facebook ad. At least the shirts have the printed autographs of most of the cast, including Rob Lowe (who always talks of his support & love for the show, but never wanted to be in any original special features for the DVDs when he was in the show’s cast); they even managed, somehow, to get the late John Spencer’s autograph.

The only problem: It appears today as I’m posting this, Saturday, is the last day these items will probably be available—unless somebody can find another ad from a different place that’s selling it for a longer period. So my sincerest apologies to anyone who sees this post after the items are no longer available from this source.

• Love 1
(edited)

From 100,000 Airplanes:

President Bartlet:  The President stood up, he said "We will land a man on the moon before the end of the decade." Why shouldn't I stand up and say, "We are going to cure cancer in ten years?"

Edited by ProudMary
Added episode title
  • Love 3

My women's book group met last week (there were only five of us and it was well before group meetings were being limited b/c of COVID19); we were there to discuss The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson. At one point we got to talking about perfect presidents in works of fiction, and I referenced President Bartlet on The West Wing. And was met all 'round with blank stares. All of us are old enough to have seen the show when it originally aired, or certainly on Netflix. Very weird.

3 hours ago, FoundTime said:

And was met all 'round with blank stares. All of us are old enough to have seen the show when it originally aired, or certainly on Netflix. Very weird.

Oh now that's just sad!  Since we are "sheltering in place" I have decided that the only thing to get me through this is watching some of the classics over again. I started with The West Wing and found that I could pretty much recite the dialog right along with the characters.  But I don't care, Great stories, great acting.

• Love 5

In The Women of Qumar, mad cow disease was discussed.  

Bartlet - So we've got frightened parents, rising food prices, public panic, massive layoffs, and something we've never had to worry about before, we're wondering when the next case is gonna happen. The most costly disruptions always happen when something we take completely for granted stops working for a minute.  

Of course, it's just a TV show.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Driad said:

Did TWW ever have an episode about an epidemic? 

One of the season 1 episodes had Josh worrying about smallpox but it was more a hypothetical because he got a card from the secret service.

There's also this from 20 Hours in LA:

Bartlet - I'm sorry. I've actually been told that I have to go now. This is a debate that is obviously going to continue in town halls, city halls, state legislatures, and the U.S. House of Representatives. There is a population in this country that seems to focus so much time and energy into this conversation, so much so that I am forced to ask this question -- is there an epidemic of flag burning going on that I'm not aware of?

• Love 3

Mark Blum, who played Congressman Katzenmoyer in Five Votes Down:, passed away from complications associated with the coronavirus.  

Katzenmoyer - I'm in your own party!

Josh - Doesn't seem to be doing us much good now, does it?

Katzenmoyer - It's an incumbent Democrat. You'll go to the press and endorse a challenger?

Josh - No sir.  We're going to do it in person. See, you won with fifty-two percent, but the President took your district with fifty-nine.  And I think it's high time we come back and say thanks.  Do you have any idea how much noise Air Force One makes when it lands in Eau Claire, Wisconsin?  We're going to have a party, Congressman. You should come, it's gonna be great.  And when the watermelon's done, right in town square, right in the band gazebo.  You guys got a band gazebo?  Doesn't matter, we'll build one.  Right in the band gazebo, that's where the President is going to drape his arm around the shoulder of some assistant DA we like. And you should have your camera with you. You should get a picture of that.  'Cause that's gonna be the moment you're finished in Democratic politics.  President Bartlet's a good man. He's got a good heart.  He doesn't hold a grudge. That's what he pays me for. 

• Love 1

@PeterPirate Thanks so much for that info. I had seen Mark Blum's photo and knew I recognized him from somewhere other than the the roles mentioned in the article. I hadn't had time to check his IMDb page. Of course, TWW is where I remember him from. Very sad. 😢

• Love 1

Brian Dennehy was in First Blood with
David Caruso who was in NYPD Blue with 
Jimmy Smits  

Brian Dennehy did not--repeat, DID NOT--appear in any West Wing episode that was worth watching.  

• LOL 3

Brian Dennehy was in First Blood with
David Caruso who was in NYPD Blue with 
Jimmy Smits  

Can actually do it on one step since the late great Mr. Dennehy was in Presumed Innocent with Bradley Whitford.

Brian Dennehy did not--repeat, DID NOT--appear in any West Wing episode that was worth watching

LOL.....I too pretend like it never happened, just like all of Season 5 never happened

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, AriAu said:

LOL.....I too pretend like it never happened, just like all of Season 5 never happened

If you were to ask me for my opinion on the worst episode in The West Wing, I either wouldn’t hesitate to list 90 Miles Away or I would hesitate because it is so forgettable.