Type keyword(s) to search

The Waltons - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

On 12/28/2022 at 5:55 AM, Gharlane said:

I thought they attempted to "colorize" the footage by showing it in sepia, which was in some ways worse than showing the original b&w footage.

Maybe that was what they were thinking. It did look weird and then throwing some burning paper at him to make it look authentic lol. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I always liked the development of Mary Ellen's character to go form tomboy to nurse/loving wife/mother

Yeah, but she never became docile and conventional. It's interesting after Curt's evident death, she somewhat regained her former autonomy and even decided to become a medical doctor so she could better take care of her loved ones and neighbors despite it being somewhat unconventional for a woman to do that (especially one who was a single parent instead of one who'd never been married or had offspring).

• Like 3

I guess CW re-ran the remake of the "the waltons homecoming".  It popped on on the DVR (or I scrolled down enough to find it) . I should have counted the commercials, but I didn't - I think I was in the double digits at least.

something struck me at the very end.

Great-grandmother Elizabeth, present day, walks with her great-grandson to the family cemetery. That is what the little boy called her "great grandma". They come upon John Boy's headstone (JB Walton , writer - couldn't make out the death date)  and refers to him, speaking to the great grand-son " Toby - he would have been your great, great, uncle"

Doesn't she say one "great" too many?  two greats would have been Oliva/John Sr's brother, right? John boy would have the same nbr of "greats" in his title as she would.

Edited by sATL

I think they got it right. Elizabeth’s son would have John Boy as his uncle. Her grandson would have John Boy as his great uncle. Her great grandson would have John Boy as his great great uncle.

My grandmother’s sister is my great aunt. Grandma doesn’t have a “great” in her title for me, but her sister has one “great”.

• Applause 3

Well, if the tag of that movie was supposed to take place in 2022, then had Elizabeth been roughly seven in 1933 (when the series was supposed to take place), then this means that Elizabeth would have been born c.1926 and have been about 96-years-old in the present day which would have been ample time for her and the three generations after her to have made her a great-grandmother to a young child (see the late Queen Elizabeth II having lived to 96 and having her heir's heir's heir Prince George having been 9-years-old at the time of her passing). Yes, it would have been a virtual certainty that the youngest of seven would have outlived every other sibling by this point.

Edited by Blergh

The original was just so well done; it’s tough to remake it. I was watching the episode the other day where Rev Fordwick decides to make Zelda Maynard the new church organist and push Grandma aside. But he decides that the family should tell Grandma instead of himself (what a jerk, btw).

Grandma finds out and threatens to turn Methodist. Rev Fordwick goes over to the house to talk to John and Zeb about it. And they think it’s funny as hell. John says that he thought he felt the earth shake a while ago when Grandma found out. Fordwick isn’t amused and tells them that Grandma needs the support of her family on this issue, wouldn’t they agree? John says, “Do we agree, Pa?” And Zeb replies, “It seems the Reverend thinks we ought to agree.” And they’re totally laughing at him and he gets all pissy. Great scene.

You’d never see anything like that in the new version.

Edited by Egg McMuffin
  • Like 3

I always find it annoying that when John's friend form the war came to visit and started the fire with his cigarette , Jason gets the blame even though he knew he didn't do it, gets yelled at by John then at the end when Jason says he didn't speak up because he knew he did no wrong, JOhn said he was proud of him for not running and telling

Like what?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

Going back to the sex they couldn't show in the 1970s'... does anyone think more went on besides a passionate late night porch kiss between Jason and Curt's sister, in " The heartbreaker"?  Wonder what curt meant when he told Jason his sister was restless and full of discontent? Did he tell that to her estranged husband before she married ?

Edited by sATL
  • Like 1
On 1/11/2023 at 11:44 AM, sATL said:

Going back to the sex they couldn't show in the 1970s'... does anyone think more went on besides a passionate late night porch kiss between Jason and Curt's sister, in " The heartbreaker"?  Wonder what curt meant when he told Jason his sister was restless and full of discontent? Did he tell that to her estranged husband before she married ?

I'll have to rewatch this. it's been so long since I seen it lol. I think Curt just meant she doesn't know what she wants

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

I'll have to rewatch this. it's been so long since I seen it lol. I think Curt just meant she doesn't know what she wants

Of course, what went unstated was whether Curt's sister had had ANY contact with Mary Ellen or even her own nephew John Curtis after Curt's evident death in Pearl Harbor (I like to keep to the theory that the whole 'Curt lived' arc was just a bad dream of Mary Ellen's while she was undecided about Jonesy).

FWIW, a few months ago Judy Norton on her channel, did an interview via ZOOM from the UK with Mr. Walmsley and Miss Purl who were in a pub catching up with each other after some decades. Anyway, Miss Purl kept apologizing for all her characters' thoughtlessness towards Jason. Yes, as it turns out that Linda Purl had played at least one other character before playing Curt's sister. Mr. Walmsley shrugged off the characters' bad actions and the two of them seemed to be having fun catching up with each other and being interviewed by Miss Norton (oh, and since Mr. Walmsley is married and Miss Purl is engaged to  Patrick Duffy, it seems they're content to stay platonic pals).

BTW, Mr. Walmsley had, in fact, been born in England but had left for the US as a young child- yet has REGAINED a British accent due to having relocated there in the last few years!

2 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Of course, what went unstated was whether Curt's sister had had ANY contact with Mary Ellen or even her own nephew John Curtis after Curt's evident death in Pearl Harbor (I like to keep to the theory that the whole 'Curt lived' arc was just a bad dream of Mary Ellen's while she was undecided about Jonesy).

Has there ever been any explanation for what exactly that was about, and why the writers would write that plot line?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Blergh said:

but then there will no John Curtis... "THE grandchild "

16 hours ago, Blergh said:

FWIW, a few months ago Judy Norton on her channel, did an interview via ZOOM from the UK with Mr. Walmsley and Miss Purl who were in a pub catching up with each other after some decades. Anyway, Miss Purl kept apologizing for all her characters' thoughtlessness towards Jason. Yes, as it turns out that Linda Purl had played at least one other character before playing Curt's sister. Mr. Walmsley shrugged off the characters' bad actions and the two of them seemed to be having fun catching up with each other and being interviewed by Miss Norton

one of my all time funnies was when Mary Ellen admitted, to Jason behind the barn, to taking uppers to study for the nursing board. She said " so what if I am!".... , as if nothing was wrong with doing that..Jason looked like he seen a ghost.

It was nice of him to stay up with her and Olivia in the living room, while she came down off her high. Some brothers would have been .." she got herself in this mess, I took of work to get her home and well, I'm off to my comfortable bed'.

7 minutes ago, sATL said:

I guess the nursing exam isn't the biggest beast anymore - I know too many nurses, of al levels who passed. Yes - they hit the books but non seem to felt the need or thought to do all nighters - they just studied  few hours each day, taking off a day or so during the time.

Edited by sATL
On 1/14/2023 at 6:16 PM, jason88cubs said:

That’s one I have a tough time rewatching due to the nails-on-a-blackboard Southern accent that Linda Purl attempts as Curt’s sister. And they never explain why the sister speaks like she’s trying out for Gone with the Wind, while Curt has no such accent whatsoever.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Egg McMuffin said:

That’s one I have a tough time rewatching due to the nails-on-a-blackboard Southern accent that Linda Purl attempts as Curt’s sister. And they never explain why the sister speaks like she’s trying out for Gone with the Wind, while Curt has no such accent whatsoever.

Besides, Curt unquestionably DID sire John Curtis before he . ..departed.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:27 PM, Blergh said:

I'm not really sure- and I don't think they gave Miss Norton any detailed explanation but she has said that she HATED that arc and wished it hadn't been done.

Judy Norton and Mary McDonough have been pretty honest about the fact that they really just didn't get listened to much by the writers, even when they would try to do things like inform them on how many kids such and such characters were supposed to have. That's where you got the really bad continuity errors in the reunion movies because the writers just really didn't give a shit.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 1/29/2023 at 4:02 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Judy Norton and Mary McDonough have been pretty honest about the fact that they really just didn't get listened to much by the writers, even when they would try to do things like inform them on how many kids such and such characters were supposed to have. That's where you got the really bad continuity errors in the reunion movies because the writers just really didn't give a shit.

Eric Scott also said that he was basically told to shut up when he pointed out that Ben and Cindy had a son and that nobody would notice.

• LOL 2
23 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I love "The Dust Bowl Cousins"

probably my favorite

Too bad Zeb,etc.  didn't think to sick Martha Corrine on Ham and Job after all the havoc they reaped on Ike, John-Boy. ..and even Mary Ellen!

Judy Norton has written that on her YouTube page that she's going to stop new content while the strike is happening. I can't tell if this is just her acting in solidarity, or if she actually can't. 

I would think it would just be a gesture of solidarity, because it seems insane that she can't do vlogs about a t.v. show she did 40-50 years ago, but then there's this bit from a Vanity Fair article:

What won’t be permitted is promotion of work done under TV and theatrical contracts—which means that as long as the strike continues, actors won’t be able to boost their film and television work through photo shoots, interviews, social media posts, or press of any kind. They won’t be able to attend premieres or awards shows, either.

This doesn't seem to specify projects that are recently made, so I think Judy might actually be contractually obligated to not make any social media posts that promote any tv show she did, even if it came out 50 years ago. Because technically, her social media vlogs do promote the Waltons, which is still available on streaming services.

I do feel bad for Judy Norton, because she's a 60-something woman getting to connect with her fans from her youth, and there's something very sweet about that. I've found her vlogs very relaxing to watch and listen to. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Interesting, because ComicCon is still on and actors are attending.   SOme will be doing their meet and greets, which face it, the fans are only meeting them and paying for an autograph/picture with because of the actor's work.   

On 7/17/2023 at 8:17 AM, merylinkid said:

Interesting, because ComicCon is still on and actors are attending.   SOme will be doing their meet and greets, which face it, the fans are only meeting them and paying for an autograph/picture with because of the actor's work.   

If you're just signing autographs and greeting fans, I believe that's okay, but Q and A's are no-no's. Judy Norton is still doing fan events, but I believe she's not allowed to do her YouTube videos because that would be promoting struck work.

(edited)
On 7/15/2023 at 5:36 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Judy Norton has written that on her YouTube page that she's going to stop new content while the strike is happening. I can't tell if this is just her acting in solidarity, or if she actually can't. 

I would think it would just be a gesture of solidarity, because it seems insane that she can't do vlogs about a t.v. show she did 40-50 years ago, but then there's this bit from a Vanity Fair article:

What won’t be permitted is promotion of work done under TV and theatrical contracts—which means that as long as the strike continues, actors won’t be able to boost their film and television work through photo shoots, interviews, social media posts, or press of any kind. They won’t be able to attend premieres or awards shows, either.

This doesn't seem to specify projects that are recently made, so I think Judy might actually be contractually obligated to not make any social media posts that promote any tv show she did, even if it came out 50 years ago. Because technically, her social media vlogs do promote the Waltons, which is still available on streaming services.

I do feel bad for Judy Norton, because she's a 60-something woman getting to connect with her fans from her youth, and there's something very sweet about that. I've found her vlogs very relaxing to watch and listen to. 

I guess for Judy to be taking the high road and putting her YT content on pause (which is very common anyway among YT-content creators), I do applaud her and makes me like her more. I can use the time to catch up on the vlogs I haven't seen.

With that said - I do agree that there should be a statue of limitations on "work promotion". Current and future shows, yes.... maybe something done in the past 3 years, possibly. but "work" that was done 40+ years ago that is rerunning for free at least on one channel (whose sole existence/premise is oldie tv shows), when one was a minor, and a 1/3 of the main cast is deceased, no. Not a violation.

Let me take a peek to see what is the most recent tv show series that comes on MeTV- surely it can't be MASH.. Possibly "In the Heat of the Night"..

Edited by sATL
  • Like 2

I never watched The Waltons when it first aired but recently watched the entire series and all 5 movies on the Hallmark Drama Channel. I really enjoyed the series a great deal but by the time they got to the mftv movies, they really didn't give a damn.  It's like the showrunners couldn't be bothered to check the storylines from the beginning going forward on all the characters and just wrote whatever they wanted. I'm surprised about this because Earl Hamner was still involved with the series and you think he would have been a stickler for detail.    The things that really stick in my mind are the fact that John Curtis has disappeared.  It's like he never existed.  The only reason I can think of is that given the fact that John Curtis was born in 1940/41, by the time the movies came out, he would have been between 25-30, which would have made Mary Ellen seem quite old.  Even saying he was away in Vietnam would have aged Mary Ellen and her son given that the children she had in the films were all young.  Also, how did she have additional children when she was told in the 2nd tv movie after her accident that she couldn't have any more children and would die if she did. Also, they explained that her husband Jonesy was in Vietnam.  By the time of those movies, it was the mid 1960's.  Jonesy would have been in his mid 40's at the very least.  What would he be doing in Vietnam when Jason, Ben and Jim-Bob were at home?  Why didn't they go as well?  Also, they never explained what happened to Ginny Walton.  What caused her to die and what happened with Erin and her husband.  All they said was that he cheated on her and they divorced. It's really a slap in the face for people who have watched the entire series.  Do they honestly think the fans would forget what happened or not want details.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Judy Norton has said on her Youtube channel that the cast members brought up these inconsistencies with the producers when filming the 1990s movies. And the writers/producers insisted that the audience wouldn’t notice or care.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
On 8/15/2023 at 9:22 PM, Egg McMuffin said:

Judy Norton has said on her Youtube channel that the cast members brought up these inconsistencies with the producers when filming the 1990s movies. And the writers/producers insisted that the audience wouldn’t notice or care.

Eric Scott (Ben) said that he himself tried to remind the newer writers about the existence of his character's baby son Charlie and plead with them to at least have him and the other family members mention the missing characters' whereabouts if the writers  didn't want to have them depicted. ..but was curtly told that the audience wouldn't know/care  about the entire family tree with the warning of 'don't be difficult' ( the barely concealed warning that his rep as a performer would get sabotaged if he didn't clam up)

Thankfully, he  built up what turned out to be a very successful parcel delivery service . Thus, he wound up prospering after his acting career had waned in his early 20's.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

I have never understood the idea that audiences dont notice. Even when I watched shows as a kid week to week or syndicated as a child I would notice if there was inconsistences. I am 28 and I started watching the waltons when I was in middle school due to having got some of the dvd copies, I remember being very annoyed with inconsistences in the show, especially in season 4 when they brought AJ back. I was like the tagline in his original episode said JB never saw him again. I do like though that in all the episodes with Boone they always seemed to use the same tagline of telling you Boone died while carrying bootleg whiskey one night due to being hit by a car or something along those lines

I watched "The Ceremony" yesterday, about a Jewish family relocating from Germany to Walton's Mountain. The son, who was turning 13, was upset because he wasn't going to have a Bar Mitzvah. All I could think was, I hope Ike Godsey doesn't sell Boggle at his general store.