Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Providence

Athena
  • Start Topic

Spot on.

Season four (DoA) is essentially about four people - Jamie, Claire, Roger, and Brianna.  One from the 18th century and three transported there through time travel. I think it may help the reader to be emotionally invested in some way to appreciate the joy and heartache they experience in the upcoming books.  Certain events just need to unfold.

We've witnessed tests of character concerning Jamie and Claire.  Now it's Roger (captivity) and Brianna (assault).  Drums of Autumn is about family and what a person is willing to go through for someone they love.   

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

I assumed they were going to cut the whole story with the priest out, so that they had a decent chance of finishing up at the end of the season.  I don't know if the story with the priest has any influence in later books (I read DOA last summer, and I'll read the next book once this season ends), but from where I sit they could have left out the priest and had Jamie/Claire/Ian with the Mohawk this week, ending up back at the standing stones.  And then next week get Claire back in time to deliver Bree's baby and finish everything off with Roger. 

Because the way it looks now, we're going to end up with a cliffhanger - and does this show really need a cliffhanger to get people to watch when it returns?  I thought the term "Droughtlander" was created because people hate waiting between seasons.  Which strongly implies a cliffhanger isn't necessary.

I liked the priest-in-the-Idiot-Hut plot more in the show than in the book, in large part because of the acting, though I had to decide to let the stupidity of the baptism plot contrivance go. Because the last episode is called "Man of Worth," I don't think it will end on a cliffhanger. The episode will likely capitalize on that theme in multiple ways for Jamie, Roger, Ian, and perhaps Lord John, which IMO will mean we get Roger's dramatic return and declaration. I strongly suspect the episode will end with that scene. I'm going to miss this season.

On 2019-01-25 at 11:15 AM, AD55 said:

I liked the priest-in-the-Idiot-Hut plot more in the show than in the book, in large part because of the acting, though I had to decide to let the stupidity of the baptism plot contrivance go. Because the last episode is called "Man of Worth," I don't think it will end on a cliffhanger. The episode will likely capitalize on that theme in multiple ways for Jamie, Roger, Ian, and perhaps Lord John, which IMO will mean we get Roger's dramatic return and declaration. I strongly suspect the episode will end with that scene. I'm going to miss this season.

I agree with the Idiot Hut plot, I much preferred it in the show to the books. In the books it was emotional, and heart wrenching, but I LOVED watching it play out on screen. Richard was superb to watch. 

I agree they likely won’t end on a cliff hanger. My feeling is they probably will not return to the Ridge, but likely end the season at River Run, or leaving River Run on the way to Fraser’s Ridge. Season 4 began with traveling to River Run, so it may make sense that they close on the same note with them leaving. 

Apart from the nightmare flashbacks to the 'Last of the Mohicans' burning execution, about the only comment I have for this episode is that I love Fergus and Marsali - they have great chemistry and I hope we see more of them in Season 5.

Oh and I loved Roger being practical when trying to save the priest. Agree with everyone here that this was a fantastic episode for Rik Rankin.

• Love 3