Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E12: The Last Link

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, rhys said:

Crikey. When did Dabney Colman get so old? I hope that was a ton of make up.

I was trying to figure out who that was.  Thanks.  But considering I haven't seen him since the early '90s, I would say he probably is that old.

I was bored again.  I don't kno wif it's the show's fault, or mine.

• Love 4

Bored..Bored...bored...noticing too many gaping holes in plot...especially with that vending machine...and also ..why wouldn't NCIS secure the hotel and verify ALL employees before allowing room service? Also, wouldn't it be smarter to bring the guy the food from a source you know? Also, wouldn't the guy notice the room service guy? Huh? Huh?

About the only thing I liked was Palmer's interaction with Gibbs.....When Palmer's the most interesting part of the show, it's time to close up shop...

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I was trying to figure out who that was.  Thanks.  But considering I haven't seen him since the early '90s, I would say he probably is that old.

I was bored again.  I don't kno wif it's the show's fault, or mine.

According to IMDb, Dabney turned 87 (!) on January 3rd.  Makes sense, he was already middle aged when he was in WarGames (which was 36 years ago), and the short-lived Buffalo Bill series (which was on the fall of 1983, and introduced (to me anyway), a lovely vision known as Geena Davis))  :)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

So do I but I hated Ziva and really like Bishop so if we can switch them I am good. 

I wasn't a Ziva fan, and Bishop is meh, couldn't stand Tony. BUT there were actual plots that made sense and were interesting. 

• Love 1

I kept getting thrown by the fact that Gibbs and Mr. Sydney looked too close in age. I know there are 20 years between Harmon and Coleman but there should be more like 30+ for the characters. Also...boring.

So, for some reason, I was thinking about the case this morning, and I think I might be confused, because it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.  The victim had bought a candy bar out of the vending machine and received a couple of hundred dollars back in change. He calls the company so he can return it.  OK, so far so good.  But, then I think they said something about him being suspicious.  Why?  A vending machine malfunctioned.  This is not something that would make anybody wonder anything.  Plus, if he were all suspicious, why didn't he mention it when someone was trying to kill him?  And, if he weren't suspicious, why would bad guys assume he was.  He returned the money.  If you're really worried, just remove the drugs for a couple of months and see if anything comes of it.

• Love 7

I thought at first that Dabney Coleman was Richard Farnsworth, but he died in 2000. The episode seemed boring maybe because there was no urgency, no ticking clock. It allowed my mind to wander to how to verify the food source for a protected witness: number one, DON'T use room service!! Bring your own, in sealed containers. Once again, TV and movies discourage anyone from agreeing to be a protected witness, since their location is always found out and they're most likely killed or barely escape. The vending machine was cool. Someone feeding it a dozen or more $20 bills would be suspicious, though, or getting $20 bills back in change. A unique franchise in that the "mother ship" has turned over its entire crew except for Gibbs, McGee and Vance, and keeps on chugging.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

So, for some reason, I was thinking about the case this morning, and I think I might be confused, because it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.  The victim had bought a candy bar out of the vending machine and received a couple of hundred dollars back in change. He calls the company so he can return it.  OK, so far so good.  But, then I think they said something about him being suspicious.  Why?  A vending machine malfunctioned.  This is not something that would make anybody wonder anything.  Plus, if he were all suspicious, why didn't he mention it when someone was trying to kill him?  And, if he weren't suspicious, why would bad guys assume he was.  He returned the money.  If you're really worried, just remove the drugs for a couple of months and see if anything comes of it.

Plus how did he get hold of the company when everyone else that rang couldn't reach anyone?

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I wasn't a Ziva fan, and Bishop is meh, couldn't stand Tony. BUT there were actual plots that made sense and were interesting. 

Bishop was fun especially in the beginning with her wide eye enthusiasm.  It’s only lately that she has become kinda meh but then the show kinda has.  It’s lost it’s spark and I can’t put my finger on why.  Maybe it’s just gotten....old.  Or maybe as much as some of you hate it lacks that certain GIbbs Gibbs GIbbs.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

The main story made no sense - I agree with Katy M.   And am I correct that the Dabney Coleman character was supposed to be a WW II vet?   So in real life he is 87 - at this point in time,  if he was 18 in 1945, the youngest he could be is 91.  Ok, an 87 year old actor can play 91 - or was he supposed to be even older?   And why do I even care.....?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Plus how did he get hold of the company when everyone else that rang couldn't reach anyone?

That actually makes sense.  They were ignoring requests for refunds, and Kasie trying to get inside, but they would want their money back.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Bishop was fun especially in the beginning with her wide eye enthusiasm.  It’s only lately that she has become kinda meh but then the show kinda has.  It’s lost it’s spark and I can’t put my finger on why.  Maybe it’s just gotten....old.  Or maybe it’s as much as some of you hate it lacks that certain GIbbs Gibbs GIbbs.

The Bishop that sat on the floor and made good analysis links was interesting,  we lost her somewhere. 

Are bacon and brown sugar potato chips really a thing? If so someone needs to send me a boxfull stat! 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

I thought at first that Dabney Coleman was Richard Farnsworth, but he died in 2000.

I thought it was Harve Presnell, but he's also dead.  For his sake, I hope this is some kind of omen for Dabney Coleman.

I kept getting annoyed at Jimmy for pushing Gibbs on the old guy. (I did not realize that was Danny Coleman, I'll have to go back and reassess) It reminded me of all the times every one kept forcing Senior onto DiNozzo despite the fact that he was a crap father and never really changed. The role of senior has mostly destroyed my love of Robert Wagner, (what was left after being force fed too many years of Hart to Hart). The crew at NCIS need to realize that not all family and old acquaintances need to be renewed and that sometimes its no one else's business. I could see Jack pushing since she is a psychiatrist but Jimmy, just shut up already. I guess its an unpopular opinion but the guy just grates my last nerve. I never saw the charm that others seem to. I miss Ducky.

• Love 1

I feel like the show needs to go the way of Criminal Minds and end. Which is sad because it used to be my favourite show. I don't like anyone in the cast anymore, the characters aren't interesting to me anymore and the plots just seem so rehashed. We'll never get another Call of Silence or SWAK.

• Love 2

I didn’t like the forced feeling of the Gibbs annual Stillwater adventure.  It was great when it was Gibbs and his Dad. But a stranger that was supposedly an old war buddy of his Dad just didn’t have the same feel.  

I missed the reason why they thought they needed to bring in the vending machine. Was there film that showed the Navy guy using it?  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I missed the reason why they thought they needed to bring in the vending machine. Was there film that showed the Navy guy using it?  

I would imagine so, even though I don't remember.  They were going to check the security footage and we know he used it because he got too much change.  So, they must have seen it.  I'm not sure why they thought it was evidence, though. Had to be more than just using it, right?

I fell asleep watching our DVD of the show.  Mr. Ecats asked if I wanted to save or erase.  I asked if he had watched it....sort of... well, what happened?......don't really remember.  So, we did the NCIS unthinkable.  We erased it.

• Love 1

I don't like the shallow detective work. When someone (wisely) asked how they could be sure the soldier was killed by the guy they were seeking, Bishop replied, "He's a drug dealer, and he died of an overdose...do the math." Really? Like drug dealers never shoot anyone and no one else ever poisons anyone? Gibbs did snap at her, "Then prove it!" but man, they are so lazy with their thinking...or their dialog, I guess.

I was waiting for some bigger reason for the old guy to have pissed Gibbs off rather than he left without saying goodbye. I get how that would be hard on a kid, but it was kind of a let down for me. I expect more from this show. And I've never been disappointed like I am now.

• Love 3

I've enjoyed a few episodes this season, but this one left me scratching my head, for most of the reasons already mentioned. Plus, when they found the shop owner and asked him if he saw the bracelet, he said no but that he found something else, then brought them an unlocked box that contained the bracelet. Huh? Anyone who tells me that they would not have looked in a box they found on their property is a liar. That might have been the most unrealistic thing about this whole convoluted episode. Even if that box was locked up like Fort Knox, I would've found a way to get it open. 

• Love 4
On 1/15/2019 at 10:33 PM, stonehaven said:

Bored..Bored...bored...noticing too many gaping holes in plot...especially with that vending machine...and also ..why wouldn't NCIS secure the hotel and verify ALL employees before allowing room service? Also, wouldn't it be smarter to bring the guy the food from a source you know? Also, wouldn't the guy notice the room service guy? Huh? Huh?

And at a more micro level, we have no reason to believe that the bad guys found out what the actual room service order was, which means that whatever they brought in the poisoned breakfast, probably wasn't even what was ordered...which should have raised somebody's (*cough*professional agents*cough*) suspicion.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:11 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

All of the NCIS team did not seem to be particularly bothered by the fact that a soldier was murdered while in their custody and during their watch. Heads should have rolled for that. 

That really bothered me, especially when Vance was complaining that he had signed off on it and now the investigation had "gone sideways" (I think that's what he said).  Wow...I'm sure the dead guy's family would be so comforted to know of Vance's care and concern.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:24 PM, Gothish520 said:

I've enjoyed a few episodes this season, but this one left me scratching my head, for most of the reasons already mentioned. Plus, when they found the shop owner and asked him if he saw the bracelet, he said no but that he found something else, then brought them an unlocked box that contained the bracelet. Huh? Anyone who tells me that they would not have looked in a box they found on their property is a liar. That might have been the most unrealistic thing about this whole convoluted episode. Even if that box was locked up like Fort Knox, I would've found a way to get it open. 

Plus, since he knew Gibbs and his history with the store, he would have contacted Gibbs about the box rather than just hold onto it.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

And at a more micro level, we have no reason to believe that the bad guys found out what the actual room service order was, which means that whatever they brought in the poisoned breakfast, probably wasn't even what was ordered...which should have raised somebody's (*cough*professional agents*cough*) suspicion.

If they managed to get there at a time when they were expecting room service, they probably did know.  They may have even been able to intercept the actual food and then poison it.

8 hours ago, Katy M said:

If they managed to get there at a time when they were expecting room service, they probably did know.  They may have even been able to intercept the actual food and then poison it.

But they didn't intercept it, because the actual room service food came after the guy had eaten the poisoned food, which is what tipped them off to the sabotage....and it appears that the poisoned food came quite a bit earlier than the actual food, because the guy had already finished eating it by the time our agents arrived, and after that the room service came.

• Love 2

Lots of hotels that offer room service have a card you can use to select from a limited menu, and put down what time you want it delivered, and then hang it on your outer doorknob.  All the bad guys had to do was read the card and show up with breakfast earlier than the time requested.  It's a hotel option that I always found to be nice, but I think it's kind of dumb for protective custody.

• Love 2

I remember nothing about the actual case but I did like the bracelet thing. And I understood Gibbs being hurt that a family friend left without saying goodbye. He was a child and he was attached. He is not required to have gotten over it just bc it has been so long. He was hurt. I cried at the end when he gave the older guy a new bracelet and said he would make sure he would be buried with all of them.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, scruffy73 said:

I remember nothing about the actual case but I did like the bracelet thing. And I understood Gibbs being hurt that a family friend left without saying goodbye. He was a child and he was attached. He is not required to have gotten over it just bc it has been so long. He was hurt. I cried at the end when he gave the older guy a new bracelet and said he would make sure he would be buried with all of them.

Gibbs is the best thing about this show.

• Love 4
On 1/28/2019 at 12:30 PM, ForReal said:

Gibbs is the best thing about this show.

Ya know, he still is, isn't he? As tight-assed as he can be sometimes, as imbued with super-powers as he often seems to be, and in spite of his (now a thing of the past) "Hey, Mo!" haircut, he's still Gibbs and everything for which he stands. And I still watch for him - and the odd Ducky sighting - more than for anyone else. 

• Love 6

Still love Ducky.  Enjoy him in other things too.  I know he is backing out slowly, but I will be very sorry.

Never been a Bishop fan, first she was this computer researcher that only sat on the floor ( gotta have a quirky person!) then she becomes this kick ass super agent???

just stupid.  and the new Abby seems to be nice, but I wish the shows didn't think the IT people had to be all weird.  instead of replacing Abby with one similar girl, they could have added a few people each with special skills to make in more interesting.  Lastly, I liked the old Gibbs with the Marine haircut and the slap on the back of the heads.

That really wasn't last.  I miss Mike Franks.

• Love 2