Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

He most likely did them a favour considering that multiple fire fighters died because they were stupid enough to pick up a helmet and keep it as a trophy and contracted a deadly disease through it. Knowing this story from AoS I was frankly flinching when I saw Thomes and his crew taking the stuff apart with no protection at all. They still should have given the contractors already hired a gracious sum for breaking the contract.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Crs97 said:

MCU mantra - When in doubt, blame Tony.  /sigh

No, I'm pretty sure the only person to blame for Beck being a supervillain is Beck. He took a slight at work and let it affect him to the point he was fired, and then he took that and decided he was going to kill people.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, swanpride said:

He most likely did them a favour considering that multiple fire fighters died because they were stupid enough to pick up a helmet and keep it as a trophy and contracted a deadly disease through it. Knowing this story from AoS I was frankly flinching when I saw Thomes and his crew taking the stuff apart with no protection at all. They still should have given the contractors already hired a gracious sum for breaking the contract.

Good point. I would bet that the temptation to further profit off of the alien tech would have been too much even if Toomes hadn’t lost the contract. Heroes don’t really create villains as much as they give them someone to blame. 

Marvel sets such a high standard for its films. So I enjoyed it while watching, but as I reflect on this one it feels a little middle of the pack to me. I think it's evident that Sony was concerned with the release date moreso than the content.

The story obviously works within the confines of the MCU, but the villain being connected back to Tony's actions felt like a rehash of Homecoming. I felt like Peters crush on MJ kind of came out of nowhere. I get that happens with teenagers, but with his pining for Liz in the previous movie I would have like to have Ned address that, and telling Peter to be careful.

I did really like Ned this movie, which was the first time that's happened, and despite being able to predict the Twist, I did enjoy the initial reveal (if not the 5-10 minutes of exposition that followed it).

I'm a big MCU fan, but I am a little thankful for a little break going forward, especially coming down from the IW/Endgame finale.

"I love Led Zeppelin"

Peter, Peter,Peter. What do they teach you in that school of yours, anyway?

I finally saw Spider-man's European Vacation and thought it was fine. Not great, but pretty okay/good. When Mysterio was giving his explanation about the Elementals I was going, Huh? why haven't Fury, et al subjected this to a serious interrogation? And the framing of Peter at the end should be able to be unraveled fairly quickly even without Space SHIELD's resources. And speaking of Space SHIELD, if the though of a high school kid having control of an advanced and weaponized AI/drone air force is disturbing how about the thought of Nick Fury being in charge of a completely off the books SHIELD with loads of e.t. tech and staffed by Skrulls?

• Love 2

As I stated in the Avengers thread, did not realize this had its own thread, I enjoyed the movie, but thought the plot was pretty contrived. 

And with the plot they used, it really did little to advance the Marvel universe stories outside it being used to make Spiderman's identity known in the last few minutes. 

But then, how many people named Peter Parker's are out there?  I would bet there are hundreds, if not thousands, in the US, so maybe be thankful for having a common name? 

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

But then, how many people named Peter Parker's are out there?  I would bet there are hundreds, if not thousands, in the US, so maybe be thankful for having a common name? 

They put up his face.

• Love 1

Yeah, the problem with making Spidey such a big part of the Avengers setup is that stories like this don't really work.

When he was just a guy in his teens or twenties, with nothing to fall back on but his own ingenuity, the idea of his identity getting out was terrifying to him. Because it put Aunt May, MJ and his other friends at risk. What if his enemies decided to target them? And how could Peter handle the spotlight and the attention that being a superhero comes with?

But now he's apparently Tony's heir and an Avenger, with all the financial and material resources he could ever need. So who gives a shit if his identity is out? He can just lawyer the fuck out of Jameson for revealing it, and get Happy, Pepper and Fury to reveal the truth about Beck, which would immediately reposition Spider-Man as the wronged party.

The idea of him being looked at as a villain doesn't really go anywhere, like it could if Peter was just that friendly, neighbourhood Spider-Man.

• Love 7

I did feel bad at the scene at Newark with their classmate who harassed Peter but worshipped Spider-Man and was video blogging everything (his name escapes me right now). His mother couldn’t be bothered to pick him up and obviously sent the chauffeur. I want to see his reaction to the Spider-Man reveal.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I did feel bad at the scene at Newark with their classmate who harassed Peter but worshipped Spider-Man and was video blogging everything (his name escapes me right now). His mother couldn’t be bothered to pick him up and obviously sent the chauffeur. I want to see his reaction to the Spider-Man reveal.

Flash Thompson

12 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Yeah, the problem with making Spidey such a big part of the Avengers setup is that stories like this don't really work.

When he was just a guy in his teens or twenties, with nothing to fall back on but his own ingenuity, the idea of his identity getting out was terrifying to him. Because it put Aunt May, MJ and his other friends at risk. What if his enemies decided to target them? And how could Peter handle the spotlight and the attention that being a superhero comes with?

But now he's apparently Tony's heir and an Avenger, with all the financial and material resources he could ever need. So who gives a shit if his identity is out? He can just lawyer the fuck out of Jameson for revealing it, and get Happy, Pepper and Fury to reveal the truth about Beck, which would immediately reposition Spider-Man as the wronged party.

The idea of him being looked at as a villain doesn't really go anywhere, like it could if Peter was just that friendly, neighbourhood Spider-Man.

I completely agree with your perspective except I think that the story does work. It works because Peter can't just shrug this off like Tony could. He doesn't have Tony's years of experience and cynicism. Peter is young and still idealistic. He cares what people think about him and Spider-Man. How could he not? He sees himself as Tony's legacy and thought of the world thinking that Spider-Man/Peter is a bad guy means that they not only think badly of him, but badly of May/MJ, Tony/Pepper/Happy/Morgan, Stark Industries, and the Avengers. The movie is set up for Peter to fight to reclaim his reputation and expose Mysterio. It should be fun.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I completely agree with your perspective except I think that the story does work. It works because Peter can't just shrug this off like Tony could. He doesn't have Tony's years of experience and cynicism. Peter is young and still idealistic. He cares what people think about him and Spider-Man. How could he not? He sees himself as Tony's legacy and thought of the world thinking that Spider-Man/Peter is a bad guy means that they not only think badly of him, but badly of May/MJ, Tony/Pepper/Happy/Morgan, Stark Industries, and the Avengers. The movie is set up for Peter to fight to reclaim his reputation and expose Mysterio. It should be fun.

But that's the thing, the fight to reclaim his reputation and expose Mysterio would be a pushover. The full weight of SHIELD and the US government should come down on Spider-Man's side, revealing Beck's past and all his criminal activities. They'll be rounding up Beck's associates, who will surely confirm everything, they have Beck's technology and the proof that his 'fights' were illusions.

If they're going for a 'crackpot conspiracy theorists bury themselves even deeper when confronted with evidence and logic', then that could be fun. And with Jameson being positioned as a "controversial" figure, it may well be what they do - Most people still love and respect Spider-Man, but there are 'Spider-truthers' who propagate increasingly insane and toxic lies about him. Which, I guess, is something Jameson was always the prototype for.

• Love 1

Watched this this past week and I feel it’s a mixed bag. There’s so much contrivance that was needed to explain how they stayed on this European trip from hell. The 5 year gap was pretty much hand waved away as “That was wacky!”  I do wish they left him in the neighborhood to fulfill that part of “Friendly Neighborhood Spider Man”.  When’s the last time they showed a superhero doing mundane superheroing and not in an end of the world scenario? It’s a consequence of only doing the big stories. The connective tissue of a shared universe is lost.

I did like how they used Mysterio, and even the way he got his name. I do wish that they hadn’t killed him at the end. I really dislike that every MCU movie just kills the villain at the end. Returns are awesome. Also, on that note...

Spoiler

The Mysterio storyline is kind of a version of The Thunderbolts storyline from the comics, where a group of villains pose as heroes to fill in a gap when the headline heroes have disappeared. It’d be a fine idea for the movies, though it’d be impossible to replicate the total shock of it it’d still be a good hook. In order to do this you have to leave some damn villains alive. Mysterio and Killmonger would have been a great start to the Thunderbolts. Stop killing your villains!

J Jonah Jameson back is great. But they could have stopped there. You didn’t have to blow his ID yet. 

• Love 1
On 7/22/2019 at 2:56 AM, Danny Franks said:

The full weight of SHIELD and the US government should come down on Spider-Man's side

SHIELD? You mean Hydra? I'm supposed to take their word for it? The Daily Bugle said he's a menace and that's good enough for me!

• LOL 5
10 hours ago, Fukui San said:

When’s the last time they showed a superhero doing mundane superheroing and not in an end of the world scenario? It’s a consequence of only doing the big stories. The connective tissue of a shared universe is lost.

Both Ant-Man movies? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

And Black Panther

I guess Killmonger's plan could have started WWIII if he wasn't stopped. I would add Spider-Man Homecoming basically stopping an armed robber pulling off a high tech  burglary 

On 7/22/2019 at 3:56 AM, Danny Franks said:

But that's the thing, the fight to reclaim his reputation and expose Mysterio would be a pushover.

I agree that there's tons of evidence, the testimony of "Nick Fury", and the eventual confessions of Beck's accomplice's on Peter's side. So, he's in no legal jeopardy. But there's plenty of people that will always believe Beck was telling the truth. (Especially with Jameson going on anti Spider-man rants). Regarding the reveal of his identity if this was a silver age comic book "Fury" would have someone pose as Spider-man in Peter's presence, and it would all blow over. But that wouldn't work in the real world, so (assuming Mephisto doesn't make an appearance) Peter's private life is over.

This wouldn't work in the comics because it changes the status quo too much for a medium that tells stories about the same characters decade after decade. But I like it for the MCU. I'm glad that Marvel/Sony realizes that they can tell stories in the Movies that can't be told in the comics. (At least not for characters as big as Spider-man).

• Love 2

Unfortunately, I think we’ve seen in today’s climate the likelihood that Jameson will never retract his statement and his followers will never believe Spider-Man is the good guy.

Anyone else bothered that Fury decides he can send an impersonator to meet a teenager who just watched an important mentor die in front of him?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

Regarding the reveal of his identity if this was a silver age comic book "Fury" would have someone pose as Spider-man in Peter's presence, and it would all blow over. But that wouldn't work in the real world, so (assuming Mephisto doesn't make an appearance) Peter's private life is over.

Why wouldn’t that plan work? Because the fake Spider-man wouldn’t have powers? Just use the super holograms. Or flip who’s real and who’s fake and have a Skrull double for Peter alongside real Spider-man.

59 minutes ago, arc said:

Why wouldn’t that plan work? Because the fake Spider-man wouldn’t have powers? Just use the super holograms. Or flip who’s real and who’s fake and have a Skrull double for Peter alongside real Spider-man.

It wouldn't work because in this media/social age  we believe that the number of Peter Parker "truthers" will exist to make normal life impossible for Peter, Aunt May, MJ etc. No matter how often Skrulls in Peter's face show up when Spider-Man is doing his thing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Raja said:

It wouldn't work because in this media/social age  we believe that the number of Peter Parker "truthers" will exist to make normal life impossible for Peter, Aunt May, MJ etc. No matter how often Skrulls in Peter's face show up when Spider-Man is doing his thing.

Exactly, the best that Peter could hope for is to create doubt about Spider-man's identity. And the people most likely to believe Mysterio are also the people least likely to believe that Peter isn't Spider-man. He'll be watched 24/7, and sooner or later he'll be caught going into an alley to change into his costume.

Also, at some point Green Goblin or some other villain will appear and decide to remove Peter just in case he's Spider-man.

• Love 1

How It Should Have Ended covers FFH:

I’m guessing there will be a follow-up regarding Sony punching MCU fans in the dick. I will say that was one “out” for Peter I did not think of after the cliffhanger.

Quick question:  remember when Peter is fighting Beck in London and MJ and Ned realize that they're in danger and they grab Betty and run?  Why does Flash follow them?  I saw the movie twice and I couldn't understand why he'd follow three kids that he wasn't particularly friendly with and who were close friends of Peter's?  Just wondering if anyone has an explanation or even a supposition 🙂

• Love 1
21 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Quick question:  remember when Peter is fighting Beck in London and MJ and Ned realize that they're in danger and they grab Betty and run?  Why does Flash follow them?  I saw the movie twice and I couldn't understand why he'd follow three kids that he wasn't particularly friendly with and who were close friends of Peter's?  Just wondering if anyone has an explanation or even a supposition 🙂

My guess is he figured they knew a good place to hide. But that kind of bothered me too.

• Love 1

I thought this was a good film, although I did prefer the first Spider Man. There were parts that felt a bit off, like with Fury (but that was explained). The part I thought was really strange though was Aunt May. She was so relaxed about Peter being Spiderman. The strangest part being the nonchalant way she said that Peter's bags had been blown up when she picked him up from the airport. It sounded like it was played for comedy, but I found it super strange.

Tom Holland was great as Spiderman and pretty much every actor and actress did a good job.

I haven't read this whole thread, so it may have come up, but I wonder if something will come from the former Stark employee that took the flash drive? Now that I write this, I wonder if all those former Stark employees might play a part in a future film (except Beck of course, heck maybe he will)? It didn't look like they were caught...

20 minutes ago, Quark said:

I haven't read this whole thread, so it may have come up, but I wonder if something will come from the former Stark employee that took the flash drive? Now that I write this, I wonder if all those former Stark employees might play a part in a future film (except Beck of course, heck maybe he will)? It didn't look like they were caught...

The new question is will they be able to identify where the used to work? 

Saw this on Saturday at the cheap theatre and really liked it. That last bit of the final fight on Tower Bridge where it was all Spider sense was amazing.

I also liked how Happy has seemed to get more development in this movie than any of the other MCU movies. Which is crazy since John Favreau directed 2 of them.

On 7/5/2019 at 6:54 PM, ChromaKelly said:

Another thing that's bugging me, and I guess this is why you don't think about movies like this too hard -
The whole deal of Peter being left the EDITH glasses. When did Tony write the note and decide to give them to Peter? It had to have been before the battle, so how did he know Peter would even be back? I

My guess would be before the time heist, around the same time as he recorded the video for his daughter. It's not like Tony wasn't super confident in himself and what would happen so I could see him leaving a note to Peter with a contingency that EDITH goes to Rhody if Peter doesn't come back.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:18 PM, Lantern7 said:

I think it's more about Tony pissing people off people, regardless of whether he employs them. You watch . . . 

I liked how Tony Stark in real life would totally be the type of guy where if you knew him you would either love him or totally hate him.

• Love 2
On 7/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, Terrafamilia said:

"I love Led Zeppelin"

That was one of the best lines, I thought.

I liked the character Zendaya played, and I liked her as a love interest for Peter.  I don't care for the "MJ" thing.  It's been called a bit of a joke reference to Mary Jane Watson, but it's just confusing.  Especially if they end up bringing in the "real" Mary Jane in later.  I like the character, I just wish they would have just called her Michelle or something else.

In some ways Marvel can play too fast and loose with their characters.

• Love 4

Just read a Wish Theory that MJ should have been 5 years younger than Peter in the first movie, Homecoming and then aged up over the blip. She could have been a kid in the neighborhood that he saved, who then got a crush on Spider-Man and was always talking to “Peter” about him . She would have been heartbroken when he vanished in the Blip, and when he returned, she’d have figured out his identity since Peter also vanished. Meanwhile Peter returns from the blip and finds that she’s grown up into someone smart and pretty. It would explain how he goes from mooning over Liz to his new feelings for MJ. It would also have given a young actress (Storm Reid obviously) something to do in the first movie instead of wasting Zendaya on 3 lines.

Now I wish they had done this. 

Edited by ursula
  • Love 2
On 2/17/2020 at 3:16 AM, ursula said:

Just read a Wish Theory that MJ should have been 5 years younger than Peter in the first movie, Homecoming and then aged up over the blip. She could have been a kid in the neighborhood that he saved, who then got a crush on Spider-Man and was always talking to “Peter” about him . She would have been heartbroken when he vanished in the Blip, and when he returned, she’d have figured out his identity since Peter also vanished. Meanwhile Peter returns from the blip and finds that she’s grown up into someone smart and pretty. It would explain how he goes from mooning over Liz to his new feelings for MJ. It would also have given a young actress (Storm Reid obviously) something to do in the first movie instead of wasting Zendaya on 3 lines.

Now I wish they had done this. 

Me too, but the filmmakers probably didn't have knowledge of what would happen with Thanos' snap in Endgame which was two years away. Even if they did having an 11 year old girl be MJ would have people scratching their heads.

The thing I like about MCU Spider-Man is I don't think were going to see Dick Grayson's evolution from Robin to Nightwing to the new Batman in a live action movie. A young hero being mentored by an older one who's a surrogate father, then that older hero dies and the younger one has the burden of living up to him and carrying on his legacy.

Another thing with the "MJ" initials:  It reminds me of the old Superman joke where so many significant people in his life had the initials "LL" - Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Lex Luther, etc.  It was talked about like it was some sort of strange coincidence or fate.  It was kind of cute, but I don't really want to see that with Spidey and MJ.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:51 PM, rmontro said:

I liked the character Zendaya played, and I liked her as a love interest for Peter.  I don't care for the "MJ" thing.  It's been called a bit of a joke reference to Mary Jane Watson, but it's just confusing.  Especially if they end up bringing in the "real" Mary Jane in later.  I like the character, I just wish they would have just called her Michelle or something else.

(IMO) The only reason she isn't straight up Mary Jane is because of people flipping out over the racebending; look how some fanboys reacted before they even said what role she was playing.

This is obviously a new take on the character, but to me, it's clear she was intended to be Mary Jane from the start. I don't think another "real Mary Jane" is coming; unless they copy Spiderverse and they do a multiverse cameo.

Edited by Trini
love it when typos get quoted :(
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Trini said:

This is obviously a new take on the character, but to me, it's clear she was intended to be Mary Jane from the start. I don't think another "real Mary Jane" is coming; unless copy Spiderverse and they do a multiverse cameo.

She doesn't act anything like Mary Jane though.  She seems like a brand new character, treat her as such.

• Love 1

On 2/3/2020 at 2:51 AM, rmontro said:

That was one of the best lines, I thought.

As you said there a lot of characters in the MCU and superhero adaptations in general that don't act like their comic counter parts. Including because they want to "re interpret the character". Even if she definitely was MJW they possibly would have kept a lot of what we saw on screen.

I really enjoyed Zendaya's chemistry with Tom Holland and I thought the character herself was good, she manages to pull off some of the lines that could be annoying with a different actor as well. 

I know this is controversial but personally I don't necessarily have a problem with going with a non canon love interest or changing things about a certain character if the actors themselves zing together and apart. Characters like Pepper and Peggy aren't necessarily the one true loves of Tony and Steve the way they are in the MCU either. 

I think the Michelle Jones/MJ thing really annoyed people on both sides of the argument. She's not *really* Mary Jane Watson but she's the MCU version, it's kind of a cop out. It means she could be Peter's OTP or she could leave to make way for the *real* one which gives everyone extra reason to bicker over her. 

I don't really see another love interest coming in unless TH signs for more films and Zendaya doesn't. Though in that case they're more likely to bring in someone completely different Black Cat for him.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

I think the Michelle Jones/MJ thing really annoyed people on both sides of the argument. She's not *really* Mary Jane Watson but she's the MCU version, it's kind of a cop out. It means she could be Peter's OTP or she could leave to make way for the *real* one which gives everyone extra reason to bicker over her. 

Yeah, it's like they're hedging their bets.  I think I would have preferred they made her Betty Brant, she was an early crush for Spidey.  And I could see Zantaya's character being interested in journalism (if they even have real journalists anymore).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Featherhat said:

I know this is controversial but personally I don't necessarily have a problem with going with a non canon love interest or changing things about a certain character if the actors themselves zing together and apart.

As much as I love the idea of Peter and original Mary Jane together, I can't deny that Tom and Zendaya have chemistry. And it's not like there's not a history of changing up superhero couples, especially when the chemistry's there. Tony and Pepper never married in the comics, right? And to pop over to DCTV, Oliver Queen has twice married blonde nerds who hadn't appeared in the comics before.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, bettername2come said:

As much as I love the idea of Peter and original Mary Jane together, I can't deny that Tom and Zendaya have chemistry. And it's not like there's not a history of changing up superhero couples, especially when the chemistry's there. Tony and Pepper never married in the comics, right? And to pop over to DCTV, Oliver Queen has twice married blonde nerds who hadn't appeared in the comics before.

Yeah I was thinking of Tony/Pepper who are much more OTP than in the comics (and she has never been interested in Happy on screen) or Steve/Peggy even pre Endgame was given much more weight, certainly more weight than Sharon ever was. Lady Sif never got a look in from Thor even though Jane wasn't even in Ragnarok, Betty completely vanished etc. Not to mention those that were nowhere to be seen at all like BuckyNat. And well one look at the Arrow forum shows exactly what I think about that GA/BC potential relationship. 

I do understand why people want the traditional love interests, I've got frustrated with it in other adaptations but I do end up caring more about the story on screen and the actors together than anything else so I'm fine with Peter/Michelle and not waiting for the proverbial Shailene Woodley as MJ appearance just because.

And as I said, I think they should have either bitten the bullet and made Zendaya actual MJ or given her another name and said "this is what we're doing right now" and not tried to get cute with it. 

• Love 3

I just assume Michelle Jones is Mary Jane. This isn't Lana Lang to Lois Lane territory. Zendaya is MJ and I'm fine with that. Just like I was totally fine with Gwen Stacy being the ONLY love interest in Amazing Spider-Man and, was rather bummed they decided to kill her off in 2 for MJ in a planned 3rd movie.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Plus really if these are supposed to be a modern day high school kids, what parents were naming their kid Mary Jane around 2001?

With so many Maria's in the world Juana really doesn't work for Americans. I could see us using Mary Jane like we use George instead of Jorge.

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I just assume Michelle Jones is Mary Jane. 

Fair enough, but if she's Mary Jane why don't they call her Mary Jane?

I've always liked that Spidey has had a few different relationships over the years.  He has grown up in the comics more so than some other heroes, evolving from high school to young adulthood to getting married to starting a business, etc.  How many people actually marry their high school sweetheart?  Some do, but it makes sense to see them with different people, especially since Peter is so young.

• Love 1

I do assume MJ is Mary Jane but they way they talked about it in 2017 is still a bit of cop out and equivocating, leaving a character that has been fairly well received to be the subject of a lot of unpleasant bickering in various places where neither side is satisfied. They've changed a lot of other characters' personality and ethnicity without a name change as well. I don't think they will at this point but apart from anything else I think they'd get into trouble if they now introduced a red head with a more traditional MJ personality and if necessary they'd use a different character for a different love interest. 

With MJ as a name, well a lot of other comic book names are slightly strange if thought of in a different context and "Ned" isn't a particularly common nickname these days, nor is Betty. Also looking at a list of baby names will convince you some parents will name their kid anything. 

On 10/20/2020 at 4:03 PM, rmontro said:

I feel like they were trying to subvert expectations of a comic book movie. Introducing Liz as though she’s the classic high school movie crush turned love interest only to have her leave in the end and reveal the true love interest with a twist. She’s not Mary Jane because she’s their version of MJ. Using the nickname MJ to represent she’s Peter’s love interest but still distinguish her from Mary Jane. Now you can argue if that worked or not but I think that is the intent. 

Edited by Guest
17 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't know, I doubt we'll ever know. It could be the backlash when Zendaya was cast. For me, I just assumed it was because Mary Jane and Stacy were just done and there was fatigue. However, that's probably more me projecting my own fatigue. 

• Love 1