Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

I've always said that I'd continue going to Marvel movies as long as they were continuously good, but after Endgame, I was sad enough that I really couldn't get excited about Far From Home.  I'm still going to miss the original 6,  but this trailer has be excited again. 

So, are we to assume that Peter got his powers when he was 14?  Because if this is a school trip and it's 5 years in the future, then, at minimum, he'd be 18 years old and a high school senior.  Unless he was a preteen when the spider bit him, but I highly doubt that.

Just now, Shannon L. said:

I've always said that I'd continue going to Marvel movies as long as they were continuously good, but after Endgame, I was sad enough that I really couldn't get excited about Far From Home.  I'm still going to miss the original 6,  but this trailer has be excited again. 

So, are we to assume that Peter got his powers when he was 14?  Because if this is a school trip and it's 5 years in the future, then, at minimum, he'd be 18 years old and a high school senior.  Unless he was a preteen when the spider bit him, but I highly doubt that.

It is five years in the future but Endgame spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Everybody who was brought back didn't age. So some of their classmates are five years older. Some instant legislation about the majority and adult of half of the world will have to take place.

• Love 2

Ugh. Nick. What are you thinking?? Peter is in HIGH SCHOOL. I do not like just because Peter is a hero, doesn’t mean you have to use him because he is the only hero you can track down-especially

Spoiler

a grieving teen who’s going to feel guilty that Tony is dead and can’t be the one to help.

So. The multiverse is happening. Means there’s a Nat, Steve and Tony probably still out there. That makes me feel better about Endgame.

I know its only been two weeks for Endgame-but what are the spoiler rules that we can and cannot post regarding Endgame? The spoiler even says not to watch it if you haven't seen the movie....so do we have to post spoiler bars?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SnoGirl said:

Ugh. Nick. What are you thinking?? Peter is in HIGH SCHOOL. I do not like just because Peter is a hero, doesn’t mean you have to use him because he is the only hero you can track down-especially

Reveal spoiler

a grieving teen who’s going to feel guilty that Tony is dead and can’t be the one to help.

So. The multiverse is happening. Means there’s a Nat, Steve and Tony probably still out there. That makes me feel better about Endgame.

I know its only been two weeks for Endgame-but what are the spoiler rules that we can and cannot post regarding Endgame? The spoiler even says not to watch it if you haven't seen the movie....so do we have to post spoiler bars?

Well it is a thread for Spider-Man and not Endgame

(edited)

That new Spider-Man trailer is pretty cool. I hope it's not a fake out that MJ has figured out he's Spider-Man, because I love the idea of her being smart enough to notice he disappears just before Spider-Man appears, every time.

The 'reveal' about Mysterio being from another dimension? Eh, I'm not convinced. Dude's a conman, and I'm not sure he isn't conning Fury on that too.

I'm glad Maria Hill is back, and I'd be entirely happy if she became Spider-Man's primary contact, rather than Happy. In fact, I think it would have been cool if she was the one who goes to Venice to find him, and not Fury.

Endgame spoilers:

Spoiler

We'll see whether they completely handwave the five year gap, or whether they fudge it by just saying 'oh yeah, all Peter's classmates were snapped away too'. Because MJ, Ned, Flash and Betty are all still in school with him.

I did get a bit sad when Pete and Happy were talking about missing Tony, and I guess that's a long shadow that will be cast of Phase 4 of the MCU.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

That new Spider-Man trailer is pretty cool. I hope it's not a fake out that MJ has figured out he's Spider-Man, because I love the idea of her being smart enough to notice he disappears just before Spider-Man appears, every time.

The 'reveal' about Mysterio being from another dimension? Eh, I'm not convinced. Dude's a conman, and I'm not sure he isn't conning Fury on that too.

I'm glad Maria Hill is back, and I'd be entirely happy if she became Spider-Man's primary contact, rather than Happy. In fact, I think it would have been cool if she was the one who goes to Venice to find him, and not Fury.

Endgame spoilers:

Reveal spoiler

We'll see whether they completely handwave the five year gap, or whether they fudge it by just saying 'oh yeah, all Peter's classmates were snapped away too'. Because MJ, Ned, Flash and Betty are all still in school with him.

I did get a bit sad when Pete and Happy were talking about missing Tony, and I guess that's a long shadow that will be cast of Phase 4 of the MCU.

I bet that the specific character is faking but then general dimensional theory proves true for the MCU

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Well, only took them till this trailer to confirm the theory from Homecoming that Michelle knows Peter is Spidey.  That's quick.

Comic Book Mary Jane Watson knew the whole time.  

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Well, only took them till this trailer to confirm the theory from Homecoming that Michelle knows Peter is Spidey.  That's quick.

Don't be so quick to think that.

Go back and read the original Mysterio comic appearances.

Okay, that takes digging them up. So let me just summarize them by saying that although in many stories Mysterio is just there to commit a crime using brief bits of illusion, and is about as complex as a 1960s TV Batman villain, in some more modern stories Mysterio is much more into the long-con and constructs long term illusions and fake experiences that go beyond stuff like covering up a robbery.

In other words, think about how wish-fulfilly some of what we are seeing seems.

1.) Peter heading towards the mantle

Spoiler

of the dearly departed Iron Man

2.) Peter getting the girl, and as the cherry on top him not having to hide anything from her but having her as a confidante instead.

3.) It also has from the beginning (okay since seeing Endgame) seemed suspicious to me that

Spoiler

Peter and May's reunion/living situation doesn't seem very tumultuous or affected by five years having passed. 

But all of the above could be real too and not a con.  After all, "the mantle of Iron Man" doesn't have to mean

Spoiler

taking the name.  Or even using a suit.

It could just be a vague allusion to stepping up and taking charge.

And we have a precedent for this version of Peter having a confidante (Ned) vs. the classic comic Peter, who had none (at least none outside the hero community, and even there for the vast majority of Marvel Comics even they didn't know his real identity or real life struggles). So MJ being another works, plus it's consistent (as a lot of stuff in the MCU is) with ULTIMATE comics, vs. the original universe comics.

And think about it.  We're in the age of Me-Too and female empowerment. How much of a dumbass would MJ come off if she's this close to Peter and never notices the coincidence of Spidey hanging around, of him having a similar stature and physique to Peter, and if he talks to her a similar voice (even if he tries to disguise it).  In other words, maybe this kind of MJ is inevitable so that MJ isn't a superhero girlfriend cliche. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Comic Book Mary Jane Watson knew the whole time.  

Yeah, but lets be honest. That was retroed in after the fact.  She wasn't written as knowing for decades, but in more modern times that was changed to evolve the character.

6 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

The multiverse is how they can bring in X-Men and The Fantastic Four. 

I suppose. But then it winds up feeling like a copout if their future stories all wind up happening apart from the base MCU.  I mean it could explain the past stories still having happened apart from the MCU, but since we know they're going to re-cast the X-Men and FF, are those still OTHER alternate universe versions?  If so, why re-cast?

Even inferring there is a hole in reality they could drop through full formed and wind up in the base MCU feels like a copout.  That's like Cable or Old Man Logan dropping out of the future in the comics or the original X-Men being brought forward into the recent comics. Kind of a stunt, and feeling like that. You can pull that with individual characters, but not with a whole err... raft of characters.

I'd almost prefer the following: say that the undoing of the Snappening damaged reality so much that parts of the multiverse are combining. Things now happened in the past that hadn't before.  And duck hard when questions about how that wouldn't have affected stuff like alien invasions of Earth, mad killer robots, etc. are asked.  Because there's no way to answer that.

Okay maybe not.  

• Love 1

Why would they have to care about the other X-men franchise? The MCU is different and can start over and make their own. Its the MCU's alternate universe there are no X-Men yet.

• Love 6

I don't think the point is about Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman or Michael Fassbender  but rather Magneto as part of the big 3 of the X-Men universe has a Shoah survivor backstory. And it has been so long only putting him on ice like Captain America can bring that into the MCU.

Then in the MCU, save the Inhumans/Nuhumans of Agents of SHIELD there is no background for mutants fearing the discriminatory treatment which leads to the classic X-Men stories. So you will just be bringing power sets and costumes if multi dimensional mutants were transferred directly to the movie MCU world.

Now the X world can show up and just continue their fight on a new battleground but it would rightly take years for the other aspects of the X backstory to effect how the MCU of President Ellis reacts. This one fan's speculator theory. As seen in the Spider-Man trailer 

Spoiler

with the Thanos snap that colliding of worlds happened and was just unseen due to the larger war in Endgame. And the counter mutant public opinion is has been gearing up for the 5 years.

(edited)
Spoiler

One of the nerdy YouTube channels that I follow speculated that the line about the wave of energy released when Thanos snapped would be the catalyst for mutants suddenly developing in the MCU. 

Honestly, this may be unpopular, but I'm totally ok keeping the X-Men and mutants in their own alternate MCU universe and they can cross over for major events to interact with the Avengers. But I'm not a comics reader so I'm not attached to the idea of Wolverine as an Avenger, as some might be. 

More on topic- I really wasn't excited about this movie before this trailer, but they have definitely won me over to see it as soon as possible. 

*I don't know what needs to be under spoiler tags, but references made to Endgame so added them

Edited by Jenniferbug
Added spoiler tags
  • Love 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Why would they have to care about the other X-men franchise? The MCU is different and can start over and make their own. Its the MCU's alternate universe there are no X-Men yet.

Then why did you mention that the multiverse opened this up?  You brought it up, not me.

Why would you need to place NEW X-Men characters in another universe?  That seems to be the implication you were making.  If it's new, why in an alternate universe instead of the main MCU?

I'm not saying there isn't a good reason. But if that's your theory, I hope you explain it/give more details.

Edited by Kromm

Peter brought up the multiverse in the trailer. I'm going with a multiverse within the MCU. Where the MCU can make their own X-Men universe and connect that to our current timeline. Not connecting the Fox franchise with the MCU. 

• Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

One of the nerdy YouTube channels that I follow speculated that the line about the wave of energy released when Thanos snapped would be the catalyst for mutants suddenly developing in the MCU. 

Honestly, this may be unpopular, but I'm totally ok keeping the X-Men and mutants in their own alternate MCU universe and they can cross over for major events to interact with the Avengers. But I'm not a comics reader so I'm not attached to the idea of Wolverine as an Avenger, as some might be. 

More on topic- I really wasn't excited about this movie before this trailer, but they have definitely won me over to see it as soon as possible. 

The only issue could be with Professor X, Magneto and Wolverine (and a few others).  The standard doctrine is that they preceded the bulk of the mutants by quite a gap.

So maybe an alternate idea.  There already were mutants, but they were super-quiet and hiding.  But the snaps unlocked that X-Gene for the mass population vs. the tiny minority already having and hiding it.

Thus... they can be in the main MCU.

In fact, taking it a bit further five years plus another few until the first X-Film comes out is enough time for the second part of that to happen. Not for babies, but with an easy wank that the gene gets unlocked in childhood and the powers manifest with puberty.  Thus the kids who didn't disappear with the snap had a certain percentage of them unlocked.

The downside is that this is almost EXACTLY what they did so badly with the Inhumans.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't know if it was on here or elsewhere, but people were speculating that the multiple waves of radiation from the Infinity Stones could be the spark for mutants to emerge.

It would be a neat way of doing it, and it would be in the spirit of Stan Lee's original vagueness - "Okay, they have these special powers because... they're mutants."

If done properly, then they could even factor in things like Professor Xavier becoming a mutant after the first snap, along with some others (sure, Magneto could be one, but I'd rather he sat it out for a while), and then more mutants emerging from the second and third snaps. Slowly starting to discover their powers, being demonised by a society that is still coming to terms with aliens who want to destroy the entire planet.

• Love 3

So we'd be starting the existence of mutants in 2018? All that history with them wouldn't exist? 

I'd rather they existed in another universe where the Avengers didn't exist. Then the snap opened portals into other universes, where they can meet up and still have their own separate adventures. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

So we'd be starting the existence of mutants in 2018? All that history with them wouldn't exist? 

I'd rather they existed in another universe where the Avengers didn't exist. Then the snap opened portals into other universes, where they can meet up and still have their own separate adventures. 

The history of the existing movies? I think Kevin Feige has as good as said that's all being thrown out anyway, hasn't he? I doubt Marvel would miss the chance to have their own Wolverine. 

I have no problems with them erasing the Singer movies, and all the stuff with Jennifer Lawrence and James McAvoy.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The history of the existing movies? I think Kevin Feige has as good as said that's all being thrown out anyway, hasn't he? I doubt Marvel would miss the chance to have their own Wolverine. 

I have no problems with them erasing the Singer movies, and all the stuff with Jennifer Lawrence and James McAvoy.

I meant the history of the X-Men if we are going with they didn't start getting their powers until after the snap in 2018. Professor X would be a young man in 2018 instead of during the 1940's. 

• Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I meant the history of the X-Men if we are going with they didn't start getting their powers until after the snap in 2018. Professor X would be a young man in 2018 instead of during the 1940's. 

Well he can't really be a young man in the 1940s now anyway, unless we're saying Professor X is a man in his 90s. The furthest back the MCU version of Professor X could realistically be born would be the 1950s. But he can be an adult who becomes a mutant, when the snap triggers the homo superior gene, while most others are kids or teenagers. 

Who knows what they'll do. I don't think multiverse makes a whole lot of sense because, why would they all come over into this universe? And if they don't, and stay in their own universe away from all the established characters, then what's the point of rebooting them at all? Might as well just continue to keep them completely separate.

They might combine several different origin ideas, or they might follow Stan Lee to the letter and just not explain why mutants are appearing at all.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't know if it was on here or elsewhere, but people were speculating that the multiple waves of radiation from the Infinity Stones could be the spark for mutants to emerge.

It would be a neat way of doing it, and it would be in the spirit of Stan Lee's original vagueness - "Okay, they have these special powers because... they're mutants."

I love this idea. The time jump in Endgame would give them a time frame to build the backstory without worrying about messing with continuity. When you consider how many superheroes emerged after The Avengers it makes sense that there will be a whole new group that stepped up in the absence of most of the avengers. 

25 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

There is enough history with the tesseract on earth that the creation of older mutants could easily be explained. We have already seen various people experimenting on the tesseract all the way back to the 40’s. A small number of mutants could have been created throughout the MCU with a population explosion after the snap. 

(edited)

I just watched this trailer. The one I found on youtube started with Tom Holland stating that there were massive spoilers. Wow, that was an understatement right in the first few seconds. I do hope that they don't play this trailer before a viewing of endgame (or anything else for that matter). This shouldn't be out yet, as its a huge spoiler. But anyhow, as I have seen endgame that's okay. I seriously can't wait for this movie. I do hope there is more Ned, as he was barely in the trailer.

Edited by blueray
4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

don't know if it was on here or elsewhere, but people were speculating that the multiple waves of radiation from the Infinity Stones could be the spark for mutants to emerge.

Not sure if we should take this to the MCU thread but, either option works.

I tend to prefer Multi-verse and, think they could do it as part of an Avengers movie or something. Basically use the Secret Wars story and basically collapse a so far unseen X-Men/FF Universe into the main MCU. So mutants have always existed in an AU world but now introduced to main Marvel Universe, creating tension/fear/etc.

1 hour ago, blueray said:

This shouldn't be out yet, as its a huge spoiler. But anyhow, as I have seen endgame that's okay. I seriously can't wait for this movie. I do hope there is more Ned, as he was barely in the trailer.

2 weeks is more than enough time. Plus Russo's said spoiler embargo (on fans) lifted today 🤣

• Love 2
(edited)

Damn, the beginning of the new trailer is so sad. Peter's eyes are red and he looks like he has been crying as he talks to Happy. How long after Endgame is Far From Home?

I had no idea that the mentor/mentee relationship between Tony Stark and Peter Parker would end up being so poignant. Peter is still wrecked by Tony's death. Happy doesn't look much better.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Damn, the beginning of the new trailer is so sad. Peter's eyes are red and he looks like he has been crying as he talks to Happy. How long after Endgame is Far From Home?

I had no idea that the mentor/mentee relationship between Tony Stark and Peter Parker would end up being so poignant. Peter is still wrecked by Tony's death. Happy doesn't look much better.

They have been leaking minutes after. So that is probably an opening scene, like the footage from the airport battle at the beginning of Spider-Man Homecoming, followed by a small time jump

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well he can't really be a young man in the 1940s now anyway, unless we're saying Professor X is a man in his 90s. The furthest back the MCU version of Professor X could realistically be born would be the 1950s. But he can be an adult who becomes a mutant, when the snap triggers the homo superior gene, while most others are kids or teenagers. 

Who knows what they'll do. I don't think multiverse makes a whole lot of sense because, why would they all come over into this universe? And if they don't, and stay in their own universe away from all the established characters, then what's the point of rebooting them at all? Might as well just continue to keep them completely separate.

They might combine several different origin ideas, or they might follow Stan Lee to the letter and just not explain why mutants are appearing at all.

I still think it's far simpler to say that the X-Gene always existed, but was untriggered/recessive for most people. The few who already had it triggered aggressively hid themselves.  But the Snap events unlocked it among a much larger percentage of humanity than the sliver of humanity who'd already had it activated.

That way you can have your cake and eat it too. 

Yes, as I said, they already did an extra shtty version of this with The Inhumans, but since that's basically pretty close to the actual MCU origin of the Mutants, they own the concept even more.  Plus the Inhumans version was only Marvel TV... so they barely count it.

I think it's vitally important that Xavier, Magneto and probably Wolverine are all old hands with a long history of having power.  Every other X-Man is non-essential with that (although there are at least a good two dozen lesser known mutants who traditionally were of that older mutant stock as well... but that can be reinvented or ignored unlike with those three).

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Nobody asked for my 2 cents but I am not a fan of the multiverse (or alternate timelines).

Honestly my first thought was from sg-1, when Teal'c was like "ours is the only reality of consequence".  I honestly not sure I'm sold on it either but I'll have to wait to see what the movie does with it. It could be good, as long as they keep our timeline as the real one, the only one that matters. I didn't spend 22 movies for them to tell me that what happened doesn't matter. So I hope that they can pull it off good without destroying what is already there.

My first thought when they mentioned the multiverse is "yeah Beck's* full of shit". I may be wrong and they really are introducing the multiverse but I instantly went to him capitalizing on the five years half the world was dusted. If they're less than a year since Endgame then the confusion of the dusted coming back, Avengers Assemble, and all of that aftermath would leave Nick, Maria, and their team still sorting things out. Nick didn't know that Hydra was operating inside Shield until it was almost too late so I can easily imagine Beck getting away with a con in the aftermath of Endgame.

*They called him Beck in the trailer right? I wasn't sure I heard correctly.

• Love 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

*They called him Beck in the trailer right? I wasn't sure I heard correctly.

Yes. That's straight from the comics. Quentin Beck. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
On 5/6/2019 at 2:06 PM, Danny Franks said:

The point of rebooting them is because Fox made a convoluted, hot mess out of the franchise. Who's to say there are no Avengers in whatever parallel universe the X-Men are in? Maybe they won't ever need to cross over into the version of the MCU we've been watching thus far. Or maybe they will jump in somehow. I'm fine either way, I just need this reboot like I need oxygen.

Tom Holland really breaks my heart when he cries on screen. Got me all verklempt immediately. The "Bitch, you been to space" line made me fall out laughing. Can't wait to see this!

On 5/6/2019 at 12:52 PM, AimingforYoko said:

"I'm really just a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man."

"Bitch, please! You've been to space!"

Also Germany, though I get that space is further away. (And tbh he was small potatoes and wearing an embarrassingly amateurish costume before the big airport fight in Germany.)

Also Washington DC, though I also get that even Germany is further away from Queens than DC.

(edited)

"Bitch you've been to space!" 

I am already super excited about this, even if seeing Peter being so heartbroken about Tony's death is already killing me dead. I just cant deal with seeing sweet little Peter hurting, I just cant do it! 

I am totally down with introducing the multiverse, but I think that Beck isnt telling the whole truth about it, especially if we go by comic lore at all.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

Some entertainment news site said the the second Spider-Man Far From Home trailer is actually trailing Avengers: Endgame where the MCU traditional post credit scene goes.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Raja said:

Some entertainment news site said the the second Spider-Man Far From Home trailer is actually trailing Avengers: Endgame where the MCU traditional post credit scene goes.

That'll be okay. As long as they don't play it before as this would ruin the movie. As well as any other movies as there are probably some people who haven't seen it yet.

5 hours ago, blueray said:

That'll be okay. As long as they don't play it before as this would ruin the movie. As well as any other movies as there are probably some people who haven't seen it yet.

The only thing that I would say "ruins" it is having Tom Holland telling the audience who are sitting there waiting for Endgame to start, why the preview for this movie will air after the movie. They should have left that out, and just shown the preview at the end. By having Tom say what he did, it sort of spoils what will probably happen, even if it's vague. If that make sense.

On 5/9/2019 at 3:00 AM, tennisgurl said:

I am totally down with introducing the multiverse, but I think that Beck isnt telling the whole truth about it, especially if we go by comic lore at all.

I am not even convinced there is an actual multiverse, or at least a hole in the universe. I mean why would anyone believe what Mysterio has to say.

Spoiler

He is a villain

• Love 3