Type keyword(s) to search

Megalo Box - General Discussion

Sandman87
  • Start Topic

Topic for the anime show about futuristic boxing with mechanically enhanced fighters.

------------------------------------------------------

Joe Boxer, aka "Gearless Joe", has his first fight under the new identity, and gets a nasty panic attack during the bout. Naturally it's the street urchin who joined the team last week who says the things that bring Joe back and let him win the match. Montage of his winning the next two fights as well. Gansaku sets up the fourth fight with a fighter who turns out to be someone he has a history with. The new fighter appears at the end and...holy crap, it's young Mel Gibson! Well, maybe not, but just look at him. Anyway, he says he's going to destroy Gansaku's new fighter Joe.

Edited by Sandman87

I can't remember anyone's name save for Joe. And that's because he calls himself "Joe." Also "Junk Dog," which is impressive.

Latest: highly-ranked boxer decides to fight Joe because he was once trained by Joe's not-quite-scrupulous trainer . . . a guy that figured he had been killed in a war,where he just lost both legs. But he's up and about with prosthetic legs and gear, and he looks to have knocked Joe out in the first round.

Curious . . . what's your fave future-based sports anime? Is there a big cross-section? All I can think of is IGPX. If you keep quiet at night, you can still hear Benjamin Bright screaming exposition. Good times.

The butterfly during the teaser was a bit heavy-handed. Butterflies are a death symbol.

I get the feeling that I'm supposed to feel sorry for NotMelGibson, but I don't.

Boy this show really wants to be the sports version of Bebop. It even has three old guys for Spike Joe to jog past.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Curious . . . what's your fave future-based sports anime? Is there a big cross-section? All I can think of is IGPX. If you keep quiet at night, you can still hear Benjamin Bright screaming exposition. Good times.

Well, here's a list of sports and game anime to help you decide. Offhand, I'd say Basquash! sounds like it could be interesting. I haven't really watched any sports stuff other than IGPX, unless you count Chihayafuru.

So . . . anybody watch the series at all? It was okay, but not that memorable. Viktor having his gear implants removed . . . damn. Also in that category: Nonbu (the dude that sounded like Pakkun) plucking out his own eye.

Other than the gear and some cosmetic sci-fi trappings, this was just a boxing show set in a city that has slums. Substitute "guy from the wrong side of the tracks" for "unregistered citizen" and "greedy athletic shoe company" for "greedy robotic gear corporation" and you've got it pretty much covered.