Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Things Unknown

In the second-season opener, Callie's future is uncertain again in the wake of the revelation about her dad. Meanwhile, Brandon feels guilty about sleeping with Dani; Stef questions Mike's role in Ana's disappearance; and Mariana makes a drastic change.

....and we're back with the everything but a plague of locust script writing. Poor Callie, they may as well start killing her like Kenny every season. Poor kid can't catch a break.

• Love 7
(edited)

Brandon annoys me greatly. He goes to his father to tell him the truth about bonking his girlfriend and instead leans on the man for emotional comfort. Mike may be a bum at times but he doesn't deserve to be betrayed by the woman he think he loves and his son, and of course neither of them has the guts or decency to just come clean.

Oh that's who he was, thanks Melgaypet, I knew I knew the face but couldn't recall the name or show off the top of my head, I was too mesmerized by the gray hair I think. Though I still hope they try and stay away from the most obvious, cliche ways of handling his character and Callie's reactions to him. Come on Peter, don't let me down.

I admit I don't really feel like this was a season premiere, it didn't have a lot of energy to it, but then again it certainly worked as a dcently smooth transition from where they left off, as if the show had merely been paused.

Edited because my old eyes did deceive me, they can't be trusted as I first assumed.

Edited by CPP83

What is this strange feeling coming over me? It's...sympathy. For Brandon. My world is askew!

Also, HOLY CRAP IS THAT KERR SMITH? Gone silver fox and playing Callie's dad (not spoiled, but come on)? Wow, I now feel super old. Also, I guess he's not grossed out by Teh Gay anymore?

• Love 4

What is this strange feeling coming over me? It's...sympathy. For Brandon. My world is askew!

Also, HOLY CRAP IS THAT KERR SMITH? Gone silver fox and playing Callie's dad (not spoiled, but come on)? Wow, I now feel super old. Also, I guess he's not grossed out by Teh Gay anymore?

Wait, is that why he looked so familiar?  God, I am feeling super old right next to you.

It was obvious he was Robert Quinn as soon as the camera panned to him.

• Love 2

So Bailee Madison is basically specializing in playing the younger version of other characters? She was young Snow on Once Upon a Time and was definitely her mother's daughter on Trophy Wife. They lucked out with that casting. It's ridiculous how much she looks like Maia Mitchell.

• Love 3
(edited)
Unless my old eyes greatly deceived me, Callie's dad is Roswell's Max

Close! Kerr Smith was Dawson's Creek's Jack. I saw a recent pic of him about a year ago and totally had your reaction, Melgaypet.

Edited by calliope1975
Close! Kerr Smith was Dawson's Creek's Jack. I saw a recent pic of him about a year ago and totally had your reaction, Melgaypet.

I got my 90s guys mixed up, heh. But he's certainly not a bad choice, he's a decent actor so at least there's that. I just don't want them to take the "easy way" out with the character, they do that enough on this show. I'm hoping for something a little more original..

So Bailee Madison is basically specializing in playing the younger version of other characters? She was young Snow on Once Upon a Time and was definitely her mother's daughter on Trophy Wife. They lucked out with that casting. It's ridiculous how much she looks like Maia Mitchell.

Heh. What's even funnier (and kind of creepy maybe?) is that she played the younger, female version of Jake T Austin's character on Wizards of Waverly Place. But yeah, I love Bailee Madison, I feel like she's one of the rare child stars that can actually act, and her being related to Maia Mitchell AND Kerr Smith? Bring it on.

I still hate Dani with a burning passion. I think she's manipulative, deceptive and an overall horrible person. She's leading Mike on and lying to him. At least Brandon's shown guilt and regret over sleeping with Dani (as he should because she's gross). I might believe that Dani loves him, but clearly she's delusional for thinking that lying is going to be beneficial in their relationship. I think Brandon, after he does move past his emotional trauma, needs to tell Mike the truth before Dani and Mike end up getting engaged and having the cliche moment of Brandon telling Mike on his wedding day.

Callie just keeps getting shit on, isn't she? I think they shouldn't keep throwing her through the ringer because she deserves a break. Hopefully Robert Quinn is a sort of decent guy and will just sign the goddamn papers like Callie's real (well, not biological but still real) father would have. But I have a feeling he really did abandon Callie and with that last scene, is regretting it and might take the opening to be her dad. Honestly, I hope that's not the case but it might be. 

Well, I gotta say that I like Emma more than I did last season. I think I like her gung-ho attitude and her feministic quality. I still have a feeling Jesus and Emma will end on bad terms, but whatever.

Oh god, Mariana, trying to impress those dumbass dancer girls. I went to an arts school and I unfortunately know that many dancers (not all, but a lot of them) can be stuck up and cliquey and I hate to see Mariana keep dying her hair (or worse) just so she can be friends with them. 

Yes, that is indeed Kerr Smith - I remember him as Jack on DC. I knew immediately by the stricken look on his face when Callie was talking, and the way he was staring at her, that he would turn out to be her bio father. So he must have been a young guy (early to mid 20s?) when he left Callie's mom. Great casting for the role of the younger half-sister. She certainly looks a lot like actress MM. 

I too was thinking, C'mon Brandon, 'fess up to your dad that his gf is guilty of statutory rape. The sooner that woman is gone, the better. 

Lovely seeing Callie have a mom go toe-to-toe with the judge to get her back. Poor girl! 

(edited)

Yes, that is indeed Kerr Smith - I remember him as Jack on DC. I knew immediately by the stricken look on his face when Callie was talking, and the way he was staring at her, that he would turn out to be her bio father. So he must have been a young guy (early to mid 20s?) when he left Callie's mom. Great casting for the role of the younger half-sister. She certainly looks a lot like actress MM. 

It might say something about how much ABC Family shows go for the shocking cliffhanger ending that I knew that whoever's order Callie was taking at the end of the show was going to be her bio dad before we even saw his face.

Edited by NoNeinNyet

The  premiere was a little slow but I liked it.

Callie: She is like cursed or something but at least she is back home with her family. I like her with Wyatt and she needs to stay away from Brandon. Her new foster home was creepy and I did not like that her new foster mother locked her in her room. And kerr smith being the bio dad is awesome.

Mike: what did you do? And since when are you in love with dani.

Brandon: I feel bad about the hand situation but he should tell his dad. Or dani should do the right thing and tell mike or just leave. 

Stef: I love her this episode. 

Marianna: she needs real friends.

Jesus: I did not mind him this episode 

Jude: so cute 

I am so glad the fosters is back but I was greatly annoyed with the jumps back an forth in time making me spend far to much time trying to figure out if it was the present or recent past. Ugh!

I prefer Callie with Wyatt so let's keep that going please.

Callie cannot catch a break. Good grief. That foster mom gave me a case of the willies. Locking your foster child in their room cannot be legal. Though looking at the BIG ass windows in that room I would think she could just open them and go.

Jude is so precious. Loved his "ok let's go" as if he was going with Callie. I loved Callie telling him when she got back that she wanted to hear his essay and then him reading it to the family. Awww.

Love the casting of Kerr Smith but the gray hair!!! Made me feel feel super old too.

Props to the casting director on the younger sister. She looks exactly like a younger version of Maia Mitchell.

I find Emma just as annoying as ever. I can't feel sorry for her friend trouble when she shits upon other girls and acts like hanging out with them would be the worst. Ugh. Seems like Emma is dealing with a lot of internalized sexism; unfortunately, I'm not sure the show sees it that way. 

• Love 3

Callie is getting punished for going all Lannister on us last season I'm convinced. I don't really like her with Wyatt but I want her with The Fosters way more to care about her love life. Stef and Lena are damn near perfect ugh. Just give Callie her perfect family already. Stef about to go ham for Callie.

Brandon is a mess but I can't seem to hate the guy. The actor is good with the sympathy stuff. I still can't believe they gave him a story line where he new someone that's 30 and over. That Kristen Bell movie he did where she bones him still creeps me out. lol

Way to go Emma. I like this little femenist. Mariana on the other hand RME. lol She's another mess.

Bailee Madison and Jake T Austin not playing gather same characters again? Hee.

Way to go Emma. I like this little femenist. Mariana on the other hand RME. lol She's another mess.

I want to like Emma and I think I would; except for the way she keeps saying she doesn't hang out with other girls, as if all other girls are beneath her. There's nothing feminist about that and I cringe every time she says it. She'd be pretty awesome if she'd knock that off.

• Love 12

Heh. What's even funnier (and kind of creepy maybe?) is that she played the younger, female version of Jake T Austin's character on Wizards of Waverly Place.

Oh!! You're right! Oh, I completely forgot about that. Man, I love that kind of stuff, haha.

OK, so it's good that they're not dropping the Brandon/Dani drama. But I hope they wrap it up and she'll be gone after this season because I still don't like her. Telling Brandon to get over the fact that they slept together... wow. Yeah, hi, Dani: sex tends to make things complicated, even more so when you're a teenager. Which you are not. Ugh. Brandon looked like he was about to tell Mike about it but seamlessly switched over to his numb hand instead. I'm actually looking forward to seeing him discover who he is without piano... they laid it on thick that it's very, very important and all he is as a person. Hopefully his self discovery journey doesn't lead him to do anything stupid this time.

Really loving where they're going with Marianna now. They've already established that she has low self-esteem and cares very much about what others think but now they're getting deeper with it, making it more of a racial identity issue. They touched on the topic before with Lena (and did so again in this episode), but it's a little "easier" to do so with her because she's biracial. Racial identity and the desire to be more European in looks with a Latina whose parents are black and white... yes, I'm interested in this.

Everything with Jesus and Emma felt manufactured. I thought Jesus was going to dump her, he looked like he was fed up with her during their first scene, and then he kept asking if she was upset about him going off with the guys. But that apparently wasn't the case, so what, bad acting? Crappy writing? Also, I'm tired of Emma's whole, "I'm one of the guys, I don't have girl friends" schtick. You're not awesome for that.

Oh, and that, "once I'm 18 I can do whatever I want," type comment that Callie made while talking to Brandon? Yeah. Yeah, I got that. *side eyes*

I want to say I'd expect Lena and Stef to be very on top of important things like foster license renewals but these two inseminated before the donor signed the necessary legal documents, so of course this slipped past them. I'm glad Callie didn't have to stay in that foster home for too long, that would have been a drag to watch. They found her birth father very quickly... and of course he seems to be the exact opposite of her "father". I totally forgot that Bailee Madison was going to guest on this show, so when she showed up... yeah, she and Maia look very similar, great casting.

So great, they're confirming that Mike beat the shit out of Ana? Paired with his, "stop snooping," attitude... man, it's gonna be difficult to redeem him. Was it suggested that he was a violent drunk with Stef? Or was his violence just because of Ana? If he actually did it, that is. The man who identified him has no reason to lie, though, unless he's buds with Ana.

Two random thoughts: the promo for next week seemed overly dramatic for this show. And we didn't see much of it but did they change locations for the school? That hallway scene with Jesus and Emma seemed like it was in a different building. The whole show seemed glossier, actually. Not that that's a bad thing.

• Love 1
(edited)

So great, they're confirming that Mike beat the shit out of Ana? Paired with his, "stop snooping," attitude... man, it's gonna be difficult to redeem him. Was it suggested that he was a violent drunk with Stef? Or was his violence just because of Ana? If he actually did it, that is. The man who identified him has no reason to lie, though, unless he's buds with Ana.

Well, the show confirmed that Mike saw Ana the night she disappeared and that they fought.  But the witness didn't describe the fight.  It could have been all or mainly verbal.  The show is being so cagey about details and playing Mike so ambiguously, that i think it may be a red herring.  

It is totally believable that they fought and then Mike went to a bar still in a shit mood and got into a fight while Ana panicked and ran or something else happened to her.  

Even Mike's warning of Stef off her search for Ana is totally plausible without him having anything to do with her disappearance. She was bad news for their family, caused chaos for everyone, and could still get him or Brandon in a lot of trouble if she turned back up and decided to flip on Mike again and/or tell the authorities Brandon bribed her.  I could totally see why an innocent Mike might not want her to pop back up in their lives and be leery of kicking any hornets' nest that might harbor her.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 5

Though looking at the BIG ass windows in that room I would think she could just open them and go.

There were bars on the windows - it was hard to see, but in one of the scenes after the woman closes the door, Callie looks longingly at the window and the lighting highlights the bars on the outside. 

I don't think at all that Mike hit Ana, but I bet he gets blamed for it, and it will take half a season to unravel.

I didn't like Emma at all as a character, and still kind of don't, but this bit about her talking to the guys warmed me up a bit. Something about Jesus and Emma still doesn't sit right for me, though.

I was totally shocked when I realized the girl who played Callie's sister is the same one who played young Snow. I was as convinced that she looks just like Maia as I was convinced she looks just like Ginnifer. :) 

You know, in spite of the horrible new foster home (I mean seriously, being locked in?), it looks like Callie actually took Rosie O'Donnell's pep talk at the courthouse at the end of last season to heart.  She might have looked longingly out the window, but she didn't run.  (Although they glossed over where Callie would be going to school while at new foster's house.)  

Do we know what the timeline is in show world? Like, if Jude's awards ceremony took place in last night's episode, does that mean we are starting the summer on the show? It seems like school is such a big part of the plotlines (for the kids at least) that it would be a big shift to switch them into summer vacation mode, but it might be potentially more interesting - what do they do with themselves all summer? Surf?

• Love 1

Yeah, it's definitely illegal to lock foster children in a bedroom and put bars on the window. I am really annoyed at the show for the Brandon/Dani thing. I really hope that they label what happened as statutory rape because that's exactly what it was. I still love Jude to bits. He's the best thing about the show. I also loved Emma owning her feelings and telling Jesus that it is not up to him to make her happy. Robert Quinn was creepy stalking his daughter at her place of work. Assuming he knew who Callie was. Overall, I enjoyed the episode and am looking forward to seeing where this season goes. Hopefully it won't get too outlandish.

(edited)
I want to like Emma and I think I would; except for the way she keeps saying she doesn't hang out with other girls, as if all other girls are beneath her. There's nothing feminist about that and I cringe every time she says it. She'd be pretty awesome if she'd knock that off.

I agree. I am friends with a girl who claims that she only really likes guys and I'm her only girl friend. It's very juvenile to me to dismiss an entire gender of potential friends and much more sexist in a 'women be cray cray' kind of way. 

Robert Quinn was creepy stalking his daughter at her place of work.

I didn't see it that way... well not creepy exactly. I saw it as he wanted to see who this girl, who could possibly disrupt his entire life, is and see if he could walk away from her. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 2

Yeah, I forgot to mention how creepy the foster woman was to Callie, but I presume at her age, she's been doing this for a long time and has probably had a multitude of problems with foster kids, so even with a temporary kid, she wanted to make sure that Callie didn't suddenly bolt. I didn't like the woman at all and I don't like her door locking procedure, but I can understand, if she has been doing this for a long time, why she might resort to it.

I can agree with this. I do like Emma and I like how she stands up for herself and won't let anyone else fight for her, but I do find the not being friends with girls thing weird. I get that she wouldn't get along with the girly-girls, but I'm sure there are girls like her, or similar to her, in her high school, so she just needs to go find them. She is only 15/16, I presume, so it's possible she's just had bad experiences with having girl friends and she prefers to hang out with the guys.

I don't think I've ever witnessed such a drastic decline in quality ever before. It's actually kind of fascinating.

I wasn't even going to watch the show anymore, but then I figured that I do get some pleasure from hate watching it and I'm bored, so why not.

I just started watching again after having skipped last season (the second half of season 1 I guess). Glad to see Wyatt around. He's my fave and I like him with Callie.

Something just occurred to me. In Jude's essay, he says he's been to 5 different schools in 7 different grades, but in the episode where he has to pass the exam, he tells Lena he's been in 7 different schools. I'm guessing that's just a writing mistake? It should have been 7 different schools in 5 different grades, I guess.

I was horrified at Callie being locked in the bedroom but so glad that she didn't try to run. What a contrast between the happy dinner table at the Fosters and the sad plate of pasta in that emergency foster home. Glad to see that Callie is now working at the burger joint with Daphne because she needs a confidant who understands what she has been through. I wonder how Robert Quinn knew where to look for Callie so quickly after being served with abandonment papers? Perhaps he hired a PI? Really liked seeing Donald show up in court and testify on behalf of the adoption. I hope that he continues to recur.

Loved Jude grabbing his backpack to go with Callie. I am in love with the character and with the actor.

Very interested in Mariana's storyline about racial identity. Really liked how Lena explained the significance of her hair to Stef. I also like the call back to last season when Lena brought up the same issues.

Blah about Jesus/Emma.

I don't think that Mike beat up Ana. It has been established that he argued with her but nobody witnessed a physical altercation. I think this is a misdirection and that Mike will have been found to have gotten into a bar fight or something similar. It would be a step too far to have Mike be a killer. His character would never recover from that and the audience would not want him to be around the children.

Brandon seems to be back to the "old Brandon" which is fine by me. I am in the "Callie adopted into Foster family" camp versus the "Callie and Brandon in love" camp so this works for me. I also like Wyatt.

Looking forward to Lena, the temporary principal, dealing with her 5 kids who always seem to be in trouble at school.

• Love 1

I like how the show deals with some very serious issues like the foster system but it is maddening that they have to exaggerate and increase the drama sometimes. Maybe I am wrong and maybe it is a state by state thing but licensed foster homes cannot have bars on the windows because in many cases windows are a fire scape route. some cities and towns require a certain height for the windows. Locks on the door is a violation of rights and the "flight risk" thing is lame. She would have gone somewhere else.

The social worker showing up after hours to place Callie is something that only happens on TV. No doubt there are good social workers but most of them are overworked and underpaid, they would not just work extra in a case that wasn't an emergency, and Callie wasn't being disruptive or whatever reason it would be for her to be immediately removed. Also lame is the idea that they had just found out about the license and there was no warning. I am a licensed provider, but disabled adults, and there is a process that is set up way in advance and that has nothing to do with the foster residents. I find it hard to believe that a license to foster children is only renewed if there is a child there. Callie was placed right away with the Fosters, even though at the time they were not fostering anyone. So it is not a matter of "the adoption was going to go through". The licensing process would have happened anyway.

• Love 1

I wonder how Robert Quinn knew where to look for Callie so quickly after being served with abandonment papers? Perhaps he hired a PI?

THANK YOU for mentioning this. That was a little weird and creepy, especially since we know how the secret Mariana-Ana meetings turned out. Like, are we really going to this well again?

It certainly helps that they got a decent actor to pay Robert Quinn, but thinking about it I don't think I'd mind if he were to stick around, and perhaps not be a total slimeball as they so often make such characters out to be.

I think it'd be nice for Callie to have a stable father in her life, not that Lena and Steff aren't enough but I think the dynamic would change and it'd add a lot more interest and depth.

Really if the season premiere was any indication, that story line may be the only one I'd find interesting and worth keeping tuned n over.

It certainly helps that they got a decent actor to pay Robert Quinn, but thinking about it I don't think I'd mind if he were to stick around, and perhaps not be a total slimeball as they so often make such characters out to be.

I think it'd be nice for Callie to have a stable father in her life, not that Lena and Steff aren't enough but I think the dynamic would change and it'd add a lot more interest and depth.

To be honest, I sort of feel the opposite. I feel like shows usually try to redeem characters who are supposed to be slimeballs. I mean, it's still early and we know nothing about Robert Quinn besides the fact that he married Callie's mom and left for a vague reason (and that he might actually want to get to know Callie). Seeing as his second daughter isn't that much younger than Callie (I'd place her at about 11/12 to Callie's 16/17), it makes me curious about his character but I'd be fine if he admits that he wasn't ready to be a father to Callie and he just signed the papers.

I mean, I think from what we have of him, he is redeemable but Callie also has a father who's loved her for all these years. Yes, he's made some pretty terrible mistakes but he has been by Callie's side and loved her. It would be nice if Robert Quinn didn't abandon Callie and just didn't know about her, but I'd be totally fine with him leaving Callie's mom after finding out she was pregnant and him being absolutely rejected by Callie. I also wouldn't mind him sticking around, but I do like Callie's other dad a lot (despite him accidentally killing Callie's mom) and I think he truly cares about her, something that we're still not sure about with Quinn. 

It is possible that Robert Quinn didn't know about the pregnancy/Callie. I don't know why he left, but...

He showed up after the scene where the attorney said she sent him the abandonment papers. So he may have come to take a look at her first to check the story. Apparently from the look on his face it's clear she is his daughter.

Personally I've never been impressed with Callie "first father" as it were, he's always seemed like a walking, taking cliche of TV dads to me. He had a drinking problem, he wasn't really there for his family, he killed his wife, then went to prison, it was all just too much for me to buy into.

I like Kerr, always have, and I know if given the chance he can really do something with the character.

I feel like shows usually try to redeem characters who are supposed to be slimeballs

Agreed, however the point I was making is that I hope they don't make him a slimeball at all, whether or not the plan is to redeem him. To me that sort of story line is just so overdone, especially on shows like this. The Fosters already operates on a pretty cliche basis for most characters, but they have avoided some of the more obvious traps as well so maybe this Quinn characters can escape that fate.

A good way to make Robert Quinn a non-slimeball is to not have him resist giving up parental rights, at least for not longer than an episode. Whether he left Callie's mom knowing she was pregnant, or he just found out; he is a complete stranger to Callie and I won't look kindly on him messing with her adoption. I'm sick to death of Callie never catching a break and I want her to be adopted. These constant roadblocks are wearing on me. She can still form a relationship with Quinn (and her little sister) even if he's not legally her father. I think that would be the more interesting dramatic choice, anyway.

• Love 2

I only caught two scenes from the episode - when Brandon was speaking to Stef about why Mike likely took Dani back and the ending when he talked to Mike about his hand. I will take that Brandon any day over the Callie obsessed mess. I get why Brandon didn't tell Mike the truth about Dani. From his conversation with Stef, it's clear he believes that Mike is with Dani because he thinks he can't be sober without her. So I get his reasoning in probably thinking that telling Mike will only hurt him, likely ruin things with Dani and then cause Mike to fall off the wagon again.

I think Stef's comment to him during their conversation was key - that it's not his job to take care of his parents, that he's the kid. Because that's what led to a lot of his mess. He bribed Anna because he was worried about Mike losing his job, then after Mike had already gotten rid of Dani, he brought her back in their lives by calling her when he was worried about Mike because he didn't want to call Stef because she would know Mike was drinking again. And he's not going to expose Dani's creepy, inappropriate self because he's worried it will make Mike fall off the wagon again. Also, I still think David Lambert is one of the better younger actors on the show. 

(edited)

I still have a feeling Jesus and Emma will end on bad terms 

I really hope so! And he doesn't look back. I'm getting the feeling he is going to have the ride of his life. That gal gives me the chills. She seems  a young version of Dani. That kind, seeming not, weave such a complex network around the victim leaving them with their feet and hands tied at their mercy without them realizing it.

After have taken the mat under Jesus's  girfriend last season with the dexterity of a master of martial emotional arts, I'm very sure why she doesn't do friends with girls. The others simply don't want her around bc she's definitely not reliable. They don't trust her. On the other hand, girls pick things on other girls easily ( we are wired like that) and she doesn't want to be spotted. Guys at that age are more impressionable, unaware and manipulable. So, she should take off the act and stop acting like, ' i'm too beautifull, smart and do guys stuff ' to others girls feel comfortable near me, so they reject me. I vote that the problem is her, not the other gals. Still creepy!

Where is Mariana's cute boy?

Me too pitied fool Brandon. He didn't deserve what happened to him. And that Vico, hope militars straighten him. Deserved to be clubbed.

Still happy to see C and wyatt.

Edited by Nanda

A good way to make Robert Quinn a non-slimeball is to not have him resist giving up parental rights, at least for not longer than an episode. Whether he left Callie's mom knowing she was pregnant, or he just found out; he is a complete stranger to Callie and I won't look kindly on him messing with her adoption. I'm sick to death of Callie never catching a break and I want her to be adopted. These constant roadblocks are wearing on me. She can still form a relationship with Quinn (and her little sister) even if he's not legally her father. I think that would be the more interesting dramatic choice, anyway.

Agreed. I don't think that Robert Quinn will be a bad guy because TPTB will want to show a contrast to Mariana/Jesus's birth mother. It's much more interesting to me if Robert turns out to be a decent guy because then Callie has a harder choice to make. If he is a bad guy or has issues like Ana, it's a slam dunk. Much more dramatic if he now turns out to be a decent person now (perhaps not then). I really hope that they don't put Poor Callie through the wringer with him; she has endured enough - it is time to allow her adoption to go through. I'm curious to see Jude meeting Callie's new half-sister.

I have a feeling this show hit its highest note in its first season, for what it's worth. Based on ABC Family's track record I see things only snowballing downhill from this point on. As I mentioned, the premiere gave me little hope of wanting to keep up with what's going on aside from all things Robert Quinn.

I have no qualms over the guy not being so gungho signing away rights to a kid he didn't even know existed. If he wanted to take some time then that's his right, imo, it isn't as if he's giving up a car or puppy, it's a kid he could want just as much as Steff and Lena, and it isn't his fault sixteen years were stolen from him, if he didn't actually know about her.

The one thing I found truly interesting about Callie has been her struggle to get adopted and now bringing in her biological father. Outside of that, to me, she's Brandon in female form and therefore is pretty much unwatchable and I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.

I am afraid they will make Robert Quinn take Callie to live with him because he wants to "know her" and things will be all cheesy and boring.

I cannot stand Brandon or the actor but I think his reaction/lack of action was pretty consistent with teenage thinking. How can a 16 year-old tell his dad that he slept with dad's girlfriend? And the trauma from not being able to play was pretty realistic too.

I know that most people think Callie can't get a break, but this is also realistic. Some foster kids go through a lot and sometimes much worse things.

Agreed. I don't think that Robert Quinn will be a bad guy because TPTB will want to show a contrast to Mariana/Jesus's birth mother. It's much more interesting to me if Robert turns out to be a decent guy because then Callie has a harder choice to make. If he is a bad guy or has issues like Ana, it's a slam dunk. Much more dramatic if he now turns out to be a decent person now (perhaps not then).

I agree. Now Callie even has two families to feel conflited about which one  she chooses. I see the potential for drama. Sisterhood in sight.

Yes, Callie now seems to have two families that she could live with.  But only one of them is where her brother lives. 

Even if Quinn turns out to be a rich guy who never even knew Callie existed and he now wants the opportunity to get to know her and for her to get to know her half-sister, separating Callie from Jude would be a horrible thing to do.

There is no reason custody couldn't be granted to the Fosters, with Callie visiting her biological father and half-sister from time to time.  I hope it doesn't take the writers too many episodes for Quinn to realize this solution.

• Love 2
(edited)

It might say something about how much ABC Family shows go for the shocking cliffhanger ending that I knew that whoever's order Callie was taking at the end of the show was going to be her bio dad before we even saw his face.

Yeah that was pretty much telescoped from the moment Callie said, "May I help you?" I don't mind though. It worked for the show I assumed the guy hired a PI and then decided to check out things for himself before deciding what to do. I hope he does the decent thing and relinquishes parental rights. In a perfect world he'll stay in her life.

I like how the show deals with some very serious issues like the foster system but it is maddening that they have to exaggerate and increase the drama sometimes. Maybe I am wrong and maybe it is a state by state thing but licensed foster homes cannot have bars on the windows because in many cases windows are a fire scape route. some cities and towns require a certain height for the windows. Locks on the door is a violation of rights and the "flight risk" thing is lame. She would have gone somewhere else.

The social worker showing up after hours to place Callie is something that only happens on TV. No doubt there are good social workers but most of them are overworked and underpaid, they would not just work extra in a case that wasn't an emergency, and Callie wasn't being disruptive or whatever reason it would be for her to be immediately removed. Also lame is the idea that they had just found out about the license and there was no warning. I am a licensed provider, but disabled adults, and there is a process that is set up way in advance and that has nothing to do with the foster residents. I find it hard to believe that a license to foster children is only renewed if there is a child there. Callie was placed right away with the Fosters, even though at the time they were not fostering anyone. So it is not a matter of "the adoption was going to go through". The licensing process would have happened anyway.

It's been years since undergrad and I only did a 3 month field placement, but IIRC bars are allowed if there is an alternate escape route. It's the lock on the door tat's illegal. On the other hand Social Workers do make emergency placements at night. What the show got wrong was the fact that a Social Worker would have been present in court and when the adoption failed to go through Callie would have been removed until Stef & Lena could update their license to foster.

Why cast that dude when a perfectly good Greg Grunberg is just sitting at home?

Please cast him in something before he commits to that Heroes reboot.

Edited by Milaxx

I have to say…I loved the first season of this show, it seemed to hit so many emotional notes without hammering at them or finding the easy answers, but god, it's practically unwatchable now.  So much forced drama.  I'll hang for another couple of episodes, hoping it gets better, but yikes.  (Still love Jude, though.)

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a nit to pick. Callie's dad, the one she grew up with, said in court that he met her when he was six months old. I hope that the show addresses how on earth her middle name is Quinn and her last name is Jacob. Did they legally change her name when she was too young to remember?

Edited by aunt jen

I think this episode was missing what, IMO, is the best part of the show: Stef and Lena together.  I don't care what they're doing - talking about the kids, cooking dinner, fighting, whatever, but I really like both actresses and enjoy watching them do their thing.  Possibly part of the trouble I had with the rest of the show is that some of the kid actors aren't always consistent - while some (Jude) are very good, others (Jesus and Mariana) are a little hit or miss in the believability department.  

• Love 2