Type keyword(s) to search

Families Of The Mafia (formerly known as Made in Staten Island) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Part II:

Deb hopes to convince Karen to move back to Arizona, Karina tries to rebuild her relationship with her dad, Gina works to get her felony records sealed, and Joe is arrested.

Part III:

The O'Tooles give Joe a reality check after his arrest, Dennie prepares to be the godmother of her best friend's child, and Karen gets defensive with a restaurant reporter.

Airs April 16, 2020.

I watched the first episode and I'm out. Sorry but these people just aren't interesting. Jess, the mom from the O'Toole family has potential but the rest are pretty much duds. Karen is boring without the original Mob Wives, especially Drita and Big Ang, may she Rest in Peace.

• Love 1

I cannot IMAGINE why anyone would 'dredge up' Karen Gravano's father's gangster past while doing an article on her new pizza restaurant.  How dare they go there. Just because it's called Pizza Nostra and has gangster themed decorations and she can't shut up for five minutes without referencing her father and the mafia doesn't mean that anyone should notice who she is or who her father is.  Stupid journalist. /sarcasm

The sad part of this whole series is that these people aren't just pathetic losers they are wannabe pathetic losers. They don't even come by their 'loserness' honestly. They are grasping onto the notoriety without an ounce of the reality that goes with it.

Speaking of which, lock up Joe already. He wants to be in prison so bad, just give him what he wants and get him off the street so the rest of the world doesn't have to deal with his pathetic version of a badass gangster.  I was glad when his dad said he would not visit him in jail/prison if he wound up there. 

And someone tell Denie she is not all that and to take a seat already.

These people go on and on about how incredibly important their families are to them. Well look around folks -- these pathetic wannabe losers is what your dedication to family has produced. 

I am so glad I'm a West coast girl. Being around these jerks would cause me to damage my eyes, rolling them so hard so many times a day.

• Love 4

Part IV:

Joe learns his fate after his court date, while Billy meets Taylor's boyfriend for the first time. Karina's relationship with Paulie comes to a head after his jealousy hits an all-time high.

Part V:

he crew heads up to the Poconos to get out of Staten Island, where Paulie and Karina's relationship is tested. Jess introduces Taylor and Joe to her new love interest. Gina continues on her path toward clearing her record.

Airs April 23, 2020.

1 minute ago, MaggieG said:

Jess needs to do something about her hair. It's terrible. 

Did Karina actually stay with Paulie after he threw a brick through her car window?

Ha!  Yes, Jess hair is bad.  But so is Taylor’s.  So maybe it runs in the family?! 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 1

None of them are attractive, except the new boyfriend, whatever his name is. What do the girls put in their hair that makes it look dirty? I think they do it to smooth it out but it just looks dirty to me.

6 minutes ago, zenme said:

None of them are attractive, except the new boyfriend, whatever his name is. What do the girls put in their hair that makes it look dirty? I think they do it to smooth it out but it just looks dirty to me.

I was just saying to my friend that also watched this show that this must have been filmed in the summer because they all look like they are trying to tame humidity hair.  I say this as someone who deals with this every summer.  

I also think Jess and Taylor both need eyeliner. It’s so jarring to me, their naked eyes.  Jess could use some lip tint and liner, too.  I still like Jess.

How old is Karina?  I thought she was only 20.  She’s in bars (I know some places you only have to be 18 to enter, but I thought I saw her drinking).  She is also cheersing Karen in their little intro clips they do.  Of course it could be juice in the wine glass, but then why even bother?

I’m happy for Gina possibly getting her record sealed!  Obviously she hasn’t been the perfect mother but I like seeing someone making an honest and sincere effort rather than just sitting around complaining about how they have been done wrong and not do anything about it.  

• Love 1

Wow!  Did not see that coming.  I wonder if that’s when / why they abruptly stopped airing.  Now I need to know what happened.  Do they still not know the cause of his death?  It’s been almost a year.  

On 5/10/2020 at 9:52 AM, geauxaway said:

Wow!  Did not see that coming.  I wonder if that’s when / why they abruptly stopped airing.  Now I need to know what happened.  Do they still not know the cause of his death?  It’s been almost a year.  

New season started tonight.  Billy’s death is talked about a lot.  It will be a big storyline.  There will be a couple of new families introduced into the show, according to the promos.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

New season started tonight.  Billy’s death is talked about a lot.  It will be a big storyline.  There will be a couple of new families introduced into the show, according to the promos.  

Day, time and channel? I wasn't aware that this was returning. Thanks!

1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Day, time and channel? I wasn't aware that this was returning. Thanks!

I’m in New York so it’s on Thursday night at 9:00 p.m. on MTV.  I think you can watch full episodes on MTV so you might check that out, or maybe on demand to catch the first episode.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

This show is still so terrible. 

Also you don't get a life sentence for 50g of crack unless you're a habitual fuck-up who never learns (3 Strikes Law) so Karen can miss me there.  

• Love 3

All this angst about whether to air the family issues in public would be a lot more convincing if they weren't having the discussions on national TV. Just sayin'. I mean Karina wants to be known for herself but she is smack in the middle of a TV series about being a Gravano. Makes no sense at all. She works in finance handling money for brokers. Perhaps people would feel more at ease if the kid of a known major Mafia figure wasn't handling their money. She may be a wonderful girl, but I would have issues with that.

These folks remind me of those high school football players who marry the homecoming queen and by middle age they've gone to seed and have a mediocre life so they spend all their time reliving their glory days and talking about that big game where they made 'that' play etc. Only, you know, evil.  I mean, they were not heroes, they were criminals of the worst sort and have no redeeming qualities whatsoever IMO but they are here on TV sitting around talking about the old days and their frankly loser lives and trying to make it all seem so important and even glamorous. 'You shoulda been there! Those were the days!' comes through in every scene in some nuanced way. They aren't important, they aren't even vaguely interesting any longer, they are just terrible people who were involved in awful things and should just fade away and hope the next generations forget about them and do better. But they love TV and the limelight and are milking what should be their deep shame for all it's worth.

In other words, do better and shut up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Forgive me, but the O’Tooles, each one of them, look like apes. They are not a good looking family. 

You're forgiven.  

• LOL 3
(edited)

Well certainly made a sharp turn from 'Mafia family' to constantly whining about being non-binary and why can't the family who has known me my whole life as a boy remember their pronouns.  My tolerance for this kid's gender identity issues is very low. Of course my tolerance for any of these people in general is very very low but adding this kid's constant haranguing his mother over pronouns just sinks the whole thing into the toilet for me. To be clear, I don't care that the kid has declared a nonbinary status, it's the insertion of the whining about it into a show about something else entirely that irritates the crap outta me.  Watching this kid's mother cry while being harangued is not something I want to watch.

How can a show about something so interesting be so unrelentingly boring? These people are the most boring people on earth. The only ones who aren't completely monotonously boring are the Russian mafia folks and that is because they aren't out of it, they are still part of that life and it gives me the willies just watching them.  He doesn't talk much to his dad because he keeps asking me to do things that I can't refuse to do. Okie dokie. I'm outta there.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2

I wonder WTF happened to Billy o’Toole!  

Can anyone make out Taylor’s clavicle tattoo?  I’ve tried to pause it & I got “Le Giallasco Rio” but, no, that’s not it because nothing comes up!

Edited by teapot