Type keyword(s) to search

2019 DCC Audition Speculation

sleepyjean
Message added by Drogo

Two things:  1) Be nice.  2) Check your personal politics at the door.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

I dont think shes that delusional. VK is a great contemporary lyrical dancer and that is what that show is all about. She will need to slim down for it too if she wants a good shot, but shes certainly pretty enough.

Ehhhh...I think calling her a decent contemporary lyrical dancer is pushing it, her technique and fundamentals are sloppy at best and while she IS pretty---I'd never call her ugly---looks alone won't get her far into the SYTYCD world. 

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

Ehhhh...I think calling her a decent contemporary lyrical dancer is pushing it, her technique and fundamentals are sloppy at best and while she IS pretty---I'd never call her ugly---looks alone won't get her far into the SYTYCD world. 

I'm sorry, but VK is merely attractive. Put her next to WOMEN like Alexis, Molly, Maddeline, RW, Gabby, she looks like a tall awkward child whose experimenting with her mom's make-up. She just so sloppy and not graceful. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, TexasBorn said:

I'm sorry, but VK is merely attractive. Put her next to WOMEN like Alexis, Molly, Maddeline, RW, Gabby, she looks like a tall awkward child whose experimenting with her mom's make-up. She just so sloppy and not graceful. 

True. So funny that Kelli is all about "polishing girls" and yet this one, who's in the inner circle, is still so rough around the edges.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

True. So funny that Kelli is all about "polishing girls" and yet this one, who's in the inner circle, is still so rough around the edges.

If she was not a legacy, she would not have made it to finals.

• Love 5

I listened to Afterbuzz TV DCC season 13 last night. The host were positive, unbiased, and impartial. They were rooting for Melena, but was surprised that she had a massive meltdown. They didn't understand why Victoria wasn't cut sooner. One host sheepishly said "could it be cause of her (Kelli) close relationship with Victoria's mother." They all responded with a shrug. Lol!

I also want to add that in the beginning (episode 1&2), all 3 host LOVED VK. They said that she was a shoo-in by skill and looks, alone. One host even said "Girl, knows what she's doing." LMAO!

Edited by TexasBorn
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TexasBorn said:

I listened to Afterbuzz TV DCC season 13 last night. The host were positive, nonbiase, and impartial. They were rooting for Melena, but was surprised that she had a massive meltdown. They didn't understand why Victoria wasn't cut sooner. One host sheepishly said "could it be cause of her (Kelli) close relationship with Victoria's mother." They all responded with a shrug. Lol!

Where can I listen to that?

12 hours ago, TexasBorn said:

I agree with you, but I do think when VK is NOT in charge of her make-up & hair, she is pretty. Not bombshell gorgeous, but definitely pretty. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

I agree with you, but I do think when VK is NOT in charge of her make-up & hair, she is pretty. Not bombshell gorgeous, but definitely pretty. 

I agree with you. VK is like one of those Toddlers in Tiara finalist, when her mommy or whoever dresses her for competition, she's looks (and acts) like a clown.

9 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

I agree with you. VK is like one of those Toddlers in Tiara finalist, when her mommy or whoever dresses her for competition, she's looks (and acts) like a clown.

I can't get past her having too many teeth for her mouth. It keeps her from being pretty imo. 

• Love 8
On 2/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, EricaShadows said:
On 2/17/2019 at 12:45 AM, Lona said:

UGH..... I know that was probably a long time ago (90s, right?), but if he were to ever try something even RESEMBLING that with this current group of cheerleaders I would be furious lol.

He bought the team early 1989.  Soon after that, he was going to make the uniform even skimpier than it already is/was,

What I remember (2nd or 3rd hand account)  is that he wanted them to wear bicycle shorts?!?! Something tacky like that. Didn't hear the other parts you guys are mentioning, or that vets were prepared to walk off.  This is new to me. 

2 hours ago, Ninamags said:

What I remember (2nd or 3rd hand account)  is that he wanted them to wear bicycle shorts?!?! Something tacky like that. Didn't hear the other parts you guys are mentioning, or that vets were prepared to walk off.  This is new to me. 

Suzanne Mitchell quit when Jerry showed up and fired Landry, and then there were the rumors about changes to the DCC, so the vets all quit. Then Jerry talked them into staying on

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ninamags said:

Associated Press June 23, 1989

1541894214_DCCquit-ap1989_1.JPG.9c11ac10742c9e0c1e2e1fb0974cb712.JPG1207575916_DCCquit-ap1989_2.JPG.64ebc5502a91b36405d56bc07d2a1bc4.JPG

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

Bravo posting this ... All I can think about is how Jenna, Holly, and Erica (beer drinking) actions almost took the team back 20+ years.

It's why I get frustrated when people call the fraternization rules archaic.  They were put in place by a woman ahead of her time for the protection of the girls on the squad.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, EricaShadows said:

Is there any more news from the veterans about who's retiring and who's re-auditioning?

Not yet nothing new the ones retiring are keeping it hush hush besides Lacey and kash 

On 2/18/2019 at 7:22 PM, MamaV said:

At panel interviews VK will likely be asked about auditioning for SYTYCD, what she would have done about DCC auditions if she had made it to the next round of SYTYCD, and whether her heart is truly in DCC. For a normal DCC candidate this might spell the end of their DCC dream, but VK will give a prepared answer and skate on through to training camp. SMH

I also think that if she can keep her weight in check during training camp she will definitely make the team this season. 

Trying out for SYTYCD would only matter if you made it to the next round and tried out for DCC anyway knowing there would be a conflict (similar to the sisters knowing their pageant obligations would conflict with DCC but tried out anyway), or if the auditions were at the same time. Otherwise, it's none of their business what you tried out for prior to the DCC auditions. Obvious (and perfectly acceptable) answer: If you had made it to the next round in SYTYCD, you would have waited and tried out for the DCC another year. 

5 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

Trying out for SYTYCD would only matter if you made it to the next round and tried out for DCC anyway knowing there would be a conflict (similar to the sisters knowing their pageant obligations would conflict with DCC but tried out anyway), or if the auditions were at the same time. Otherwise, it's none of their business what you tried out for prior to the DCC auditions. Obvious (and perfectly acceptable) answer: If you had made it to the next round in SYTYCD, you would have waited and tried out for the DCC another year. 

In regular life I would agree, but we are talking about Kelly's world. She makes everything her business and is known to take things the girls do so personally. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

Though I’m pretty sure the right answer in DCC land is “If I make dcc, I’ll wait to try out for SYTYCD another year” 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, PhilForPoint said:
6 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

Obvious (and perfectly acceptable) answer: If you had made it to the next round in SYTYCD, you would have waited and tried out for the DCC another year. 

Though I’m pretty sure the right answer in DCC land is “If I make dcc, I’ll wait to try out for SYTYCD another year” 

Bingo!  If "I'd wait another year for DCC" were the answer, Kelli would hold putting DCC in 2nd place against her forever.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

It's why I get frustrated when people call the fraternization rules archaic.  They were put in place by a woman ahead of her time for the protection of the girls on the squad.  

Well... it’s one thing not forcing these girls to ‘fraternize’ with players and sponsors which is basically pimping them out and punishing girls for dating players is entirely different. I still think punishing girls but not the players is a stupid and archai rule but I don’t even get how pimping girls out (as other teams have been accused of doing) is even allowed.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ByTor said:

Bingo!  If "I'd wait another year for DCC" were the answer, Kelli would hold putting DCC in 2nd place against her forever.

No, because you're not putting DCC in 2nd place, you're furthering your training, gaining experience, & polishing yourself so you're a much better DCC. Everything you do is to become a better DCC. 😉

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Well... it’s one thing not forcing these girls to ‘fraternize’ with players and sponsors which is basically pimping them out and punishing girls for dating players is entirely different. I still think punishing girls but not the players is a stupid and archai rule but I don’t even get how pimping girls out (as other teams have been accused of doing) is even allowed.

Players will never be punished for dating a cheerleader because they are the much more valuable commodity. It's much easier to replace a cheerleader than a highly skilled player with a big bucks contract (not saying the cheerleaders aren't highly skilled, but it is football not cheerleading).  It's only been in recent years that they have started holding them accountable for illegal activities. No way they're going to punish them for something as small (& legal) as dating a cheerleader. Much easier to get rid of the cheerleader.

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

No, because you're not putting DCC in 2nd place, you're furthering your training, gaining experience, & polishing yourself so you're a much better DCC. Everything you do is to become a better DCC. 😉

LOL Kelli would buy a fake Louis Vuitton bag before she'd buy that perfectly reasonable reasoning. 🙂

• Love 4
1 hour ago, hannahbanana said:

Players will never be punished for dating a cheerleader because they are the much more valuable commodity. It's much easier to replace a cheerleader than a highly skilled player with a big bucks contract (not saying the cheerleaders aren't highly skilled, but it is football not cheerleading).  It's only been in recent years that they have started holding them accountable for illegal activities. No way they're going to punish them for something as small (& legal) as dating a cheerleader. Much easier to get rid of the cheerleader.

Why does anyone need to be punished? These are adults, and they’re not even in each other’s chain of command, nor do they work together on a daily basis. At the high school and college level, athletes and cheerleaders often date each other, so I don’t even think the public would be surprised or think anything was amiss if a cheerleader was dating a player. 

I agree with @dreamcatcher that pimping  cheerleaders out to players and other male associates (which is gross and sexual harassment, IMO) is a totally different thing than prohibiting them from dating players if they choose to. 

• Love 6

Not meaning to argue about the subject of punishing one over the other.  But 18 year olds don't always make the best decisions in life.  I'm okay with DCC having the rule.  I'm wondering if any of those girls even know what real life is about.  Some of them have concentrated on dance all their life and haven't had much other exposure.  Course I could be wrong.  But I remember when I was a teen I was into horses.  I loved my horses.  Horses save a lot of teens.  I didn't know what a boy was.   It was horses horses horses until I was at least 22.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Not meaning to argue about the subject of punishing one over the other.  But 18 year olds don't always make the best decisions in life.  I'm okay with DCC having the rule. 

To be clear, I think any young, inexperienced girl, cheerleader or not, is well-advised to steer clear of pro athletes. But if the rule is in place because the assumption is that the girls are too wide-eyed or immature to make good decisions, and that they need to be protected from the men (who are explicitly not subject to the same rules), then I think that’s exactly why people call the rule archaic and old fashioned, even though it may be well intentioned.

• Love 4
On 2/9/2019 at 3:21 PM, WinkyFace said:

😕😕 bless her heart. I am not a dancer, so I don’t know what one must do to fix hitting things hard, finding the ends of movements and memory, but I’m pretty sure whatnever it is doesn’t start January before May tryouts. 

I’m sorry but she is never making DCC. Dreams are great and all, but reality is a bitch. This is like me having a dream to be an astronaut. I’m terrible at science and I get motion sickness. Just never gonna happen. I get being positive but sometimes you just have to be a realist. Anyway, she’s brave for trying out and putting herself out there.

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 3
On 2/18/2019 at 4:47 PM, Tuxcat said:

VK is indeed her best in the lyrical genre and she has some nice moments. She can dance pretty. But she is not great. I don't press rewind to watch her over and over again. She emotes in all the normal predictable ways - grab the heart, play with the shirt, face with pretend angst... Nothing special to see really.  She also dances "heavy."

She is doing a 90 day program for tummy control that is really intense and geared toward models. I predict we will see a much leaner VK soon.

Have VK and Tina learned nothing from last year? Had VK started a sensible clean eating program last August when she was cut, she wouldn’t need to crash diet 90 days out to get the DCC look. She is setting herself up for failure with this 90 day “fix”.  Looking forward to the inevitable crash and burn, round 2!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Why does anyone need to be punished? These are adults, and they’re not even in each other’s chain of command, nor do they work together on a daily basis. At the high school and college level, athletes and cheerleaders often date each other, so I don’t even think the public would be surprised or think anything was amiss if a cheerleader was dating a player. 

I agree with @dreamcatcher that pimping  cheerleaders out to players and other male associates (which is gross and sexual harassment, IMO) is a totally different thing than prohibiting them from dating players if they choose to. 

3 hours ago, Jess14 said:

To be clear, I think any young, inexperienced girl, cheerleader or not, is well-advised to steer clear of pro athletes. But if the rule is in place because the assumption is that the girls are too wide-eyed or immature to make good decisions, and that they need to be protected from the men (who are explicitly not subject to the same rules), then I think that’s exactly why people call the rule archaic and old fashioned, even though it may be well intentioned.

The rule isn't in place to protect inexperienced girls from pro athletes, it's to protect all of the women from being pimped out (&, in a small way, to protect the Cowboys organization from such sexual harassment claims). The reasoning was, "if they aren't allowed to date a player, they can't be forced into a relationship with a player they don't want." Is it perfect, no? But it's something they came up with in an effort to protect the women from pimping out/sexual harassment (& the organization being hit with such claims).

The only reason punishment comes into the mix is because they have to enforce the rule somehow. In an ideal world, the rule wouldn't have to exist. In a slightly less ideal world, both parties would be held equally accountable. In reality, the low (wo)man on the totem pole gets the crappy end of the deal.

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

The rule isn't in place to protect inexperienced girls from pro athletes, it's to protect all of the women from being pimped out. The reasoning was, "if they aren't allowed to date a player, they can't be forced into a relationship with a player they don't want." Is it perfect, no? But it's something they came up in an effort to protect the women from pimping out/sexual harassment.

The only reason punishment comes into the mix is because they have to enforce the rule somehow. In an ideal world, the rule wouldn't have to exist. In a slightly less ideal world, both parties would be held equally accountable. In reality, the low (wo)man on the totem pole gets the crappy end of the deal.

I wonder how Suzanne Mitchell was able to work the rule around Jerry's "friends."  

Did anyone go to Jennifer C's prep classes?  Curious to know what she is like as a teacher.  

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

The rule isn't in place to protect inexperienced girls from pro athletes, it's to protect all of the women from being pimped out (&, in a small way, to protect the Cowboys organization from such sexual harassment claims). The reasoning was, "if they aren't allowed to date a player, they can't be forced into a relationship with a player they don't want." Is it perfect, no? But it's something they came up with in an effort to protect the women from pimping out/sexual harassment (& the organization being hit with such claims).

My comment about inexperienced girls was in response to the post that was quoted, which mentioned that some of the girls are only 18 and haven't experienced life.

However, if the rule is designed to protect the women from being sexually assaulted by restricting their, the potential victim's behavior, while putting zero restriction on the potential perpetrators of the harassment, that is archaic. It is what it is, and the girls all agree to follow it, but I think that is how the discussion came back up - a poster mentioned being frustrated that people think its an archaic rule - it's because it is, IMO. It's just like young female workers being told not to go out to lunch or happy hour with the male boss because he's skeevy, all the while the male colleagues are going on these outings and getting ahead of the women. Or the "avoid this male superior at work because he likes to make inappropriate comments" (I've definitely gotten that one). In most cases, people mean well and are trying to protect the women in the job, but at the end of the day, the fact is that there is not the will to either put these men in their place, so they will behave or to part ways with them. So, the women are forced to take steps to keep themselves from being harassed or find another job, while men are given free reign, and it's treated as reasonable- archaic.

In the case of fraternization with players in the present time, I question how effective this even is. I doubt a football player who thinks he is entitled to any woman he wants could give two craps about the DCC's little rule. If anything, it seems they're likely just stopping potential consensual relationships. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

I wonder how Suzanne Mitchell was able to work the rule around Jerry's "friends."  

Did anyone go to Jennifer C's prep classes?  Curious to know what she is like as a teacher.  

Seriously. @scorpio1031

Do you @sleepyjean have a copy of the DCC non-fraternizing policy?

In the Daughter's of the Sexual Revolution Documentary, SM stated that she had to kick out several of Jerry's drunk friends from the rehearsal studio.

I disagree with the opinion that the rule is archaic. It protects women from having to be demoralized in court and in public opinion when there's a hearsay situation between a cheerleader and a wealthy powerful man with wealthy powerful friends. E.G. Harvey Weinstein.

I mean, look at how we, who are mostly women, lambasted Holly and Jenna when they had consensual relationships with players.

Edited by TexasBorn
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TexasBorn said:

I mean, look at how we, who are mostly women, lambasted Holly and Jenna when they had consensual relationships with players.

Not all of us! I think their punishments were fine. They willingly agreed to follow the rule and then broke it. However, outside of the rule-breaking, I have no problem whatsoever with either of them or Paige or anyone else having a consensual relationship with a player. 

I should say that I think Suzanne(?) was likely trying to make the best of a bad situation, knowing that she couldn't control Jerry Jones, but the notion that women bear responsibility for men's bad behavior is part of what the #MeToo movement is trying to root out.

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 3
On 2/17/2019 at 1:45 PM, Hummingbird24 said:

He was a DCRB and he is damn good! He needs to go to LA. They have male cheerleaders. You know JJ is a misogynist and that won’t happen here. Too bad. 

Misogyny is likely at work, but so is tradition and the very real issues of uniform, impression and audience.

UNIFORM

How would they modify the uniform for a male?   As they say, the uniform makes the girl.  That uniform as is could never make the man.

And for the DCC, the uniform has unparalleled brand recognition and equity in the market.   Let’s face it: the other teams are lesser and as a result, the impact of nonconformity is lower.

Seeing the videos of guys dancing on NFL teams, the different uniform and lack of poms reduces the impression of the team.

IMPRESSION

Can you imagine a guy dancing the Thunder choreography?  The ripple in the triangle executed on the knees would be impacted by the absence of poms.  The team is intended to be a precision dance group.  Guys inevitably would reduce the impact of the choreography.  

Sure, there are creative ways to use guys, but the accommodations made often spotlight the men and those men are not always worthy of that light.  Today, placement in the triangle relates to seniority and talent.  With guys, there is always a modification that allows the guys to stand out even more to deal with their otherness regardless of talent.

AUDIENCE

I am not sure there is a sufficient population of Cowboys fans dying to have a flower with an extra stem in the cheerleader bouquet.   Ultimately, the cheerleaders are selected to provide a cheerleader to appeal to wide swaths of preferences.  The absence of a male DCC doesn’t probably impact ticket sales nor would an addition likely lead to greater sales.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Jess14 said:

My comment about inexperienced girls was in response to the post that was quoted, which mentioned that some of the girls are only 18 and haven't experienced life.

However, if the rule is designed to protect the women from being sexually assaulted by restricting their, the potential victim's behavior, while putting zero restriction on the potential perpetrators of the harassment, that is archaic. It is what it is, and the girls all agree to follow it, but I think that is how the discussion came back up - a poster mentioned being frustrated that people think its an archaic rule - it's because it is, IMO. It's just like young female workers being told not to go out to lunch or happy hour with the male boss because he's skeevy, all the while the male colleagues are going on these outings and getting ahead of the women. Or the "avoid this male superior at work because he likes to make inappropriate comments" (I've definitely gotten that one). In most cases, people mean well and are trying to protect the women in the job, but at the end of the day, the fact is that there is not the will to either put these men in their place, so they will behave or to part ways with them. So, the women are forced to take steps to keep themselves from being harassed or find another job, while men are given free reign, and it's treated as reasonable- archaic.

In the case of fraternization with players in the present time, I question how effective this even is. I doubt a football player who thinks he is entitled to any woman he wants could give two craps about the DCC's little rule. If anything, it seems they're likely just stopping potential consensual relationships. 

The rule isn't "to protect the women from being sexually assaulted by restricting their, the potential victim's behavior, while putting zero restriction on the potential perpetrators of the harassment." It's there so people like Jerry Jones and the "football player who thinks he is entitled to any woman" can't say "Holly must go out with this football player to keep her job" AND to avoid the appearance/rumour that that is what is happening. It is much the same as the "no dating your colleagues" rule in many workplaces. Is it perfect, no? But it is what they were able to come up as a way to protect the women from potentially being forced into a relationship they didn't want (as archaic as that may be, it is still very much going on in today's world). 

As far as stopping consensual relationships, it may stop some, but as we have seen, it certainly doesn't stop all. And I think there's a lot more than we see/know about. As long as they keep it quiet (a la Paige) no one really seems to care. It's when they start showing up in bars (especially under age) with players, etc. & it becomes public & gossip/rumours start flying that there's a problem.

And, just to play devil's advocate, we only know that Jenna & Holly were reprimanded (neither were fired, Holly officially "resigned" (may have been strongly suggested she do so) & Jenna's "demotion" from point came later) because of the show/insiders here, but the players could also have been reprimanded (probably would have been a fine they couldn't have cared less about, but there's no way they're going to be docked a game or fired over a consensual relationship with a cheerleader because that affects the Cowboy's bottom line).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I’ve been to Jen’s prep class in Florida! She’s an amazing teacher and teaches quickly. She always stops to answer questions and wants to showcase everyone in the class

• Love 1
17 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Not meaning to argue about the subject of punishing one over the other.  But 18 year olds don't always make the best decisions in life.  I'm okay with DCC having the rule.  I'm wondering if any of those girls even know what real life is about.  Some of them have concentrated on dance all their life and haven't had much other exposure.  Course I could be wrong.  But I remember when I was a teen I was into horses.  I loved my horses.  Horses save a lot of teens.  I didn't know what a boy was.   It was horses horses horses until I was at least 22.

My parents bought me a horse when I was 15 to keep me too busy to hang around with the boys. They didn't think it through well enough...horses after school, boys in the evenings. Of course, poor hubby is often neglected now with my teaching and training those equines! 

Back on topic, what is the ONE thing you would most like to see more of during the show this season (assuming of course there is a show)? Also, ONE thing you would like to see less of?  For me, I want to see more coverage of them learning and performing the routines. Less of showing off features of The Star please.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Agent Gully said:

Back on topic, what is the ONE thing you would most like to see more of during the show this season (assuming of course there is a show)? Also, ONE thing you would like to see less of?  For me, I want to see more coverage of them learning and performing the routines. Less of showing off features of The Star please.

I want to see more breakdowns of the routines, not just 10 seconds of teaching and then camera pans to nervous look on all the girls faces. I could do with a lot less advertisement of The Star. That's for sure.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Agent Gully said:

Me too.  And rather than just concentrate on "1 or 2" girls spread it around.

But I have vowed not to comment on VK.  So if someone sees me do it please give me a good dressing down.

I'd like to see longer segments of entire groups dancing, rather than the camera constantly cutting from girl to girl. Also, I liked when they showed a split screen with two or three girls dancing side by side last season. I hope they include those segments again and show longer portions of the routines. It was fun to compare dance technique that way. 

• Love 6