Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E10: Rachel Brosnahan / Greta Van Fleet

• Start Topic

For some reason it's not live on my (northern California) NBC channel -- it'll start at 9:30 instead of 8:30. I wonder why. 

eta: oh, it is on. The guide is wrong and Tivo didn't pick it up, but I caught it. 

Edited by Mystery
5 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

And the singer looks like Pete Davidson’s super ugly and homely sister

Thank you!  I thought I was going crazy.  What about that guy made him look just like Pete Davidson!?  

• Love 2

Cold Open: Using Deal or No Deal (using Dem congressmen as the women at the briefcases) to sum up the shutdown was a genius move, especially bringing in Steve Harvey to host. Beck as Mitch was great (especially Bird Boxing), and yeah, I too would've taken the deal with the Crave Case of Hamberders. I hope this isn't the only time they cover the Hamberders. 

Monologue: Oh NOW we have a singing monologue... It was funny enough, with all the concerned whispering. "Is Europe, like, over?" And man, Kyle got dissed hard.

Name Changes: This "let's read off as many punny names as possible" sketch was a LOT better than all the times Robert DeNiro did it. Personal favorites: Carol Kumdungeon, Mario Pardi, A. Hitler (hailed as a hero!), Todd Kobell, Holden Tudiks, Mark Peanus.

Leave Me AlURN: This was great. The ONLY way to get men to stop creeping is to have an urn on you at all times. And back spikes. That always works. Sad in a way, but effective.

Millennial Millions: You know damn well that "Press Your Luck: Millennial Edition" would work wonders as an actual show. But EVERY space is a Whammy. Millennial here, it sucks. Kenan truly is Gen X, and is he the oldest cast member now? He's as old as the show, being born in 1975 and all. And yep, the toughest Boomer to deal with of all is YOUR DAD. 

The Raunchiest Ms. Rita: This went a different way than I was expecting (a take on how incredibly racist the old times were), but I liked that it didn't. Leslie Jones channeling Raw-era Eddie Murphy? I'd watch this show. And this version has a Tony Shaloub that's somehow even more exasperated.

Greta Van Fleet is for a generation of kids who don't know who Led Zepplin is. They're just riding that wave until the day their fans discover Rush. That being said, they were okay.

WU: Che was just speechless about how stupid everything is. "Scrooge McDonald," indeed. Sean Spicer is 100% the Poodle on The Masked Singer (it's so dumb but I can't stop watching it). And yeah, it was only inevitable that Kate showed up as Elizabeth Warren. Just how many people in the Democratic field will Kate play? We'll find out soon. There's no better mascot for Staten Island than a chicken parm in a wifebeater. And how to improve a Pete Davidson bit: add John Mulaney. Their chemistry was fantastic.

Tabitha: This was a "Kenan reacts to things" sketch, and I was here for it. Well, it worked when it was Leslie Jones and Kenan acting like a guilty dog. But I loved Beck and his face reacting to his "other family." I wish this was just Leslie and Kenan because I would've just watched them forever. Also, I don't want to imagine what would've happened if it were men doing that to their wives.

Kool-Aid: OH MY GOD IT'S THE GILLETTE AD WITH THE KOOL-AID MAN. Oh my god I love Kool-Aid Man spoofs thank you SNL.

Barbie Interns: Now we get to see Ken's instagram page. Ken is SEX. But only implied. Overall...ehh. This was the weakest sketch, but at least it was the last one.

4 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

And the singer looks like Pete Davidson’s super ugly and homely sister

I said he looks like if Pete decided to front Led Zepplin.

Well, this was a much better episode than expected!

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I had to wiki the musical guests.  Greta is 4 dudes, 3 brothers and an other.  

They’ll always be Super Blood Wolf Moon to me

7 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Kool-Aid: OH MY GOD IT'S THE GILLETTE AD WITH THE KOOL-AID MAN. Oh my god I love Kool-Aid Man spoofs thank you SNL.

The kid with Colin Jost looked really familiar?

• Love 6

As a huge Marvelous Mrs. Maisel fan, I decided to watch SNL for the first time in ages to see Rachel Brosnahan on the show.  I’m surprised that I only laughed a couple of times in the entire show and regretfully, never at anything Rachel did.  Kenan killed me as the shamed husband acting like a dog.  He was perfect and Leslie was hilarious in the not-seen role as the wife filming.  John Mulaney is a good friend of Pete’s and I thought there was such a poignancy of having John there at Pete’s side on WU in his first show since the scares of the fall.  I liked what Colin said too when introducing Pete — they obviously care very, very much for Pete.  I changed to another show when the musical guest was on.  Tried them for a minute but no.  The urn skit was amusing and Kate as the newscaster with sarcastic quips about earthquakes was a little funny.  Loved Aidy’s Boomer song.  Otherwise not impressed with this episode.  As a former longtime weekly SNL watcher who’s been away for quite awhile, seems like I haven’t missed any great writing.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 7

I don't use subscription TV. I suck, don't I? I had to look up Rachel's name to discover she was THE Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It probably doesn't help that I thought Alex Borstein's character was being played by Janeane Garafolo.

Nothing cheers me up like dog-based humor . . . and dog-shaming is a good part of it. That includes one dog ratting out his friend. So replacing "dog" with "husband" was basically genius.

Second time we've see the Barbie focus group, right? The bit with the Jacuzzi reminded me of this sketch from Robot Chicken.

Kinda wish Pete had taken MTV to task about Made in Staten Island. Nothing like hearing your home being called "Mob Island" . . . in the fucking commercials. But Colin's quip about the parm in the wife-beater works. And I might have to watch The Mule one day. It sounds like Clint Eastwood has lost his damn mind. BTW, is John Mulaney doing anything these days that would need promotion and a guest host gig? I mean, nothing tops Le Miz Diner, but he's pretty funny.

Name Change sketch was also funny. Is it odd or touching that Pete Davidson played a firefighter, which was his late father's job?

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Kenan truly is Gen X, and is he the oldest cast member now? He's as old as the show, being born in 1975 and all.

Shit, that's my birth year. I could make fun of him staying at SNL for so long, but he is funny. And he's done more with his life than I have. Also, "yay" for importing familiar sounds from Press Your Luck.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 7

I loved the Pete Davidson & John Mullaney bit on Weekend Update.    Also Kate as Elizabeth Warren.

Disliked the first song by the musical guest.  Listened to part of the second song.  Not overly impressed, but I am old and probably out of the demographic.

Aidy's "babyboomer's song" was hilarious!   I am a BB.  The skit made its point that my kids are in a different world.  😥

• Love 10

I continue to have serious concerns about the dance SNL has done with Pete Davidson this season (simultaneously mining his personal life for publicity while also clearly being scared as hell for him), and I am getting vibes of the late '70s SNL when several cast members were completely out of it and were simultaneously enabling their activities and also being the thing that probably kept them alive. 

With that said...

I thought he was a blast with John Mulaney tonight. I really like John Mulaney, so admittedly the bar is low for what I enjoy when he pops up on SNL, but I thought they were a lot of fun together. You could see how much they get along and it was nice to see Pete just being goofy and fun without all the usual tension underneath. 

So anyway, SNL, thanks. More Mulaney (but not too much of course) and less Alec Baldwin (or none - I'm not choosy).

• Love 18

Show was OK. Honestly Rachel Brosnahan was feeling very incidental to me until the Barbie sketch at the end. I wasn't getting a good idea of what she could handle. I mean even in the Miss Maisel sketch, Leslie was the focus.

A lot of technical snags tonight, too. Was the audio a little off in the monologue? I thought I saw a few mouths moving at the wrong times.

I genuinely loved Leave me Alurn, and the Kool-Aid ad was great from a Gen X perspective.

It was also great to see an energetic, into the show Pete. I continue to wish him the best. Update in general was really good. I like Kate's Elizabeth Warren more than her Pelosi. But I think that was her first time as Pelosi in the cold open? She'll get it. I guess it doesn't help that Nancy was always one of Kristin Wiig's better impressions.

Not gonna lie. Beck's super creepy, half smiling shame face in the Tabitha sketch will haunt my nightmares.

28 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I said he looks like if Pete decided to front Led Zepplin.

I was thinking Little Oprah Annie having a hard rock rebellion or whatever you call that type of music. 

-- I'll leave the embarrassing typo there, but it should be Little Orphan Annie, of course. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, vb68 said:

I was thinking Little Oprah Annie having a hard rock rebellion or whatever you call that type of music. 

That should be a username. Like, by the end of tomorrow. And as much as the Gilly sketches got grief, I think "Little Orphan Ahole" would work as well.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

That should be a username. Like, by the end of tomorrow.

I  have no idea where that came from, except my chubby typing fingers. 

And yeah, now that you mention it, the singer did have a Gilly vibe.

Edited by vb68
1 minute ago, vb68 said:

I  have no idea where that came from, except my chubby typing fingers. 

I call it "keyboard dyslexia." I just had to joke about that.

How many Democrat power playing ladies does Kate play? I liked her Pelosi and Warren.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Show was OK. Honestly Rachel Brosnahan was feeling very incidental to me until the Barbie sketch at the end. I wasn't getting a good idea of what she could handle. I mean even in the Miss Maisel sketch Leslie was the focus.

A lot of technical snags tonight, too. Was the audio a little off in the monologue? I thought I saw a few mouths moving at the wrong times.

I genuinely loved Leave me Alurn, and the Kool Aide ad was great from a Gen X perspective.

It was also great to see an energetic, into the show Pete. I continue to wish him the best. Update in general was really good. I like Kate's Elizabeth Warren more than her Pelosi. But I think that was her first time as Pelosi in the cold open? She'll get it. I guess it doesn't help that Nancy was always one of Kristin Wiig's better impressions.

Not gonna lie. Beck's super creepy, half smiling shame face in the Tabitha sketch will haunt my nightmares.

This pretty much sums up my feelings, except I wasn't crazy about the Kool-Aid/Gillette thing.  And I did love the millennial/boomer game show, especially Aidy's song.   I hang out on a Zeppelin board and they mostly like GVF there, but I just don't see it.  

Overall, the show was...okay. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

except I wasn't crazy about the Kool-Aid/Gillette thing. 

I think I mostly like that because those Kool-Aid commercials were ubiquitous in my childhood. I'm sappy like that. ;)

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

And I might have to watch The Mule one day. It sounds like Clint Eastwood has lost his damn mind. BTW, is John Mulaney doing anything these days that would need promotion and a guest host gig? I mean, nothing tops Le Miz Diner, but he's pretty funny.

I usually like Pete best when he's just being himself, but being with John Mulaney really emphasized how not funny Pete is. I feel like the show used John to ease Pete back in. I will willingly watch Mulaney's Mule movie decades from now. 

The name-change skit kind of bothered me as a Northern California person, because NorCal is one word, not two; a four-point-whatever earthquake is not going to be bringing down buildings; and name change offices have been in the news for the past few years since the Ghost Ship (warehouse) fire, when the identification of so many young people took a while because they were living lives under undocumented names, since many could not afford the fees to legally change their names to reflect their gender identities. In fact we passed a law to make it cheaper and easier. But that's all on me, I know. 

I didn't care for the Tabitha bit, but I googled and there are totally people shaming their dogs for hiding meat in the couch. 

My favorite was the urn commercial. We spread my twin brother's ashes in a mountain park that he loved, but there were a father and kids playing for a long time and we were waiting for them to go (so we wouldn't freak them out) and they were wondering why we were watching them for so long. My brother would have laughed his head off. 

I missed the opening because of the mistake with my Tivo guide, so I'll have to watch the late version for that. 

4 minutes ago, Souris said:

I thought Leave Me AlURN with included lower-back spikes was hysterical. And yet also sadly too true.

Oh my gosh, how did I forget the spikes? Yes yes yes. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Second time we've see the Barbie focus group, right?

Yep. Here it is from Donald Glover's episode last season. The original was funnier, both because it was fresher and because everyone seemed more locked in on the wackadoo premise. This felt like just a faded copy of the original sketch. Though they did make sure to correct the one distracting element of the original: they took away the remote control Kenan's character was supposedly using to control the Instagram images, which was constantly out of synch with the actual screen changes.

One other change was less understandable: Why did they rename Kenan's character? He was Bernard in the original, and this time he was Travis.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Dev F said:

One other change was less understandable: Why did they rename Kenan's character? He was Bernard in the original, and this time he was Travis.

Weird.  I was thinking his name was suppose to be Bernard in the Tabitha sketch for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

How many Democrat power playing ladies does Kate play? 

Too many...

You know what? Depending on how often they use it, I have a feeling Alexandria Ocasio- Cortez ( AOC, for short)could burst out as the next big political impression.  She could be a really funny character. ( Since it was a thing on social media this week that she was storming the capital looking for #Where'sMitch, I expected her to give him some shade in the opening. "I spent the whole week trying to find you. All these people not getting paid, and I find you on a game show?!")   But yeah, I could see her becoming a big character.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Leave Me AlURN: This was great. The ONLY way to get men to stop creeping is to have an urn on you at all times. And back spikes. That always works. Sad in a way, but effective.

Yes, I forgot to mention that in my first post. I burst out laughing at the part where the guy tried to approach a group of women, only for them all to raise the urns.

I wonder where I can get those back spikes?

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Greta Van Fleet is for a generation of kids who don't know who Led Zeppelin is. They're just riding that wave until the day their fans discover Rush.

Truer words, lol.

58 minutes ago, Camille said:

I burst out laughing at the part where the guy tried to approach a group of women, only for them all to raise the urns.

The Leave Me AlURN sketch was one of the best things I've seen in ages, especially this part.

• Love 8

I’m not sure if Pete’s line about committing suicide  was meant to be a quip but not only did I not find it funny considering his recent issues, but Rachel’s aunt was Kate Spade.  I cringed.  I would see john’s movie though.

Edited by mtlchick
Damn auto correct.
  • Love 15

The sad part about the cold open is that there has been so little actual compromise offered by the two sides, that most of the cases contained ridiculous things and not actual deals. 

The Millennial game show was brilliant. Points made on all sides. Was the moral that we should listen more?

The Mrs Maisal and Rita skit was a low point. It wasn’t funny. And if Mrs Maisal is really like that, I’m not missing anything. 

On the urn skit... so men are not supposed to talk to women? Ever? I mean, clearly if you are on a yoga mat with headphones, most men know not to wave a hand in your face. But what if a man sits nearby doing the same thing, and when you pack up starts small talk? Is that also not allowed? What if you put your hand on the back of anyone you squeeze past, male and female, so they know you are there and don’t step back?  Skits like this needlessly brand a whole group of people.

OK, I wanted to be annoyed by the obedient husband thing, but Keenan made it funny. Then it went on too long. And I got annoyed again. Because if you switched genders, and featured men asking women to stop doing any number of things, social media would be lit up. But since it is making fun of men, we make a few comments and meh. 

So... two references to the Gillette commercial, both negative (WU) or mocking (Kool-aid). SNL is staying it was dumb? Surprised. 

Didn’t care for the band, but appreciated that they played their own music. Felt like the early 70s again.

I don’t know why the Barbie group is so dumb, but man, I don’t want to ever have to interact with anyone who talks like those brand managers. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I’m not sure if Pete’s line about committing suicide  was meant to be a quip but not only did I not find it funny considering his recent issues, but Rachel’s aunt was Kate Spade.  I cringed.  I would see john’s movie though.

I mostly saw it as gallows humor and a way to try to avoid whatever hell he's in. I assume it wasn't planned, as John pretty quickly tried to make it more serious and remind him (and viewers) of the support he has (which he didn't seem comfortable with, but needs to hear.) I'm glad John said it because I do worry about how many viewers out there are teetering on the same edge that Davidson is. I've heard a number of people who are talking about how much the segment helped them. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 19
8 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Nancy Pelosi seems more like someone Cecily should play.

Kate has actually played Pelosi before, alongside Cecily's Dianne Feinstein. If they kept Kate in the role for continuity's sake, though, it's weird that her impression this time was not at all similar to the one she did in that earlier sketch. Kate's earlier take had Pelosi as very tight-faced and mannered; here she was doing some weird wide-eyed expression and breathy voice that didn't seem remotely appropriate to the character.

I guess the idea was to draw a contrast between Pelosi's "I'm just a sweet little nobody" exterior and her shrewd-operator interior. Problem is, Pelosi has never had a reputation for presenting herself as a sweet little nobody. It would've been much more apt, not to mention funnier, if the contrast had been between her tight, mannered exterior and her inner pit bull.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, Dev F said:

Kate has actually played Pelosi before, alongside Cecily's Dianne Feinstein. If they kept Kate in the role for continuity's sake, though, it's weird that her impression this time was not at all similar to the one she did in that earlier sketch. Kate's earlier take had Pelosi as very tight-faced and mannered; here she was doing some weird wide-eyed expression and breathy voice that didn't seem at all appropriate to the character.

I guess the idea was to draw a contrast between Pelosi's "I'm just a sweet little nobody" exterior and her shrewd-operator interior. Problem is, Pelosi has never had a reputation for presenting herself as a sweet little nobody. It would've been much more apt, not to mention funnier, if the contrast had been between her tight, mannered exterior and her inner pit bull.

Despite having had a number of awesome woman writers and actors (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kate McKinnon among others), this show can't seem to figure out how to portray strong political women at all.  Hillary Clinton was portrayed as a power-mad, inauthentic shrew who suddenly became sympathetic (piano sketch) once SNL discovered that constantly portraying her in a bad light had actual consequences.  Now Nancy Pelosi's role in the shutdown (having inherited it from Paul Ryan) and her actual personality are distorted beyond recognition.  She's just another power-mad beeyotch.   

• Love 23

SNL had better get used to writing for strong women politicians because a whole bunch of them are in Congress now.  Pelosi is not from the south, but she is a steel magnolia, never raising her voice and often having the "bless your heart" thought bubble over her head.  They could even play her as the Italian grandmother who keeps 'em all in line, especially the big baby in the WH. 

• Love 20
11 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Kenan truly is Gen X, and is he the oldest cast member now? He's as old as the show, being born in 1975 and all.

Technically he was born in 1978, and Leslie Jones is the oldest cast member, but I think every one else on the show now is a millennial... except Mikey Day who is borderline. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Ottis said:

What if you put your hand on the back of anyone you squeeze past, male and female, so they know you are there and don’t step back?

There are zones of a woman's back that are okay/not okay to touch, depending on your relationship with her, and the lower back is for a boyfriend/husband, not some random stranger. I had two people who I did NOT have such a relationship with place their hands there (separate incidents) without warning or invitation and it spooked me, especially considering that one of them was a professor of mine. It was NOT an, "Excuse me, I'm just trying to get past you" touch.

4 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I’m not sure if Pete’s line about committing suicide  was meant to be a quip but not only did I not find it funny considering his recent issues, but Rachel’s aunt was Kate Spade.  I cringed. 

So did I.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

No they don't.  That skit was from the female perspective, not the male perspective.  So even if, as you say, most men know not to approach a woman with headphones in doing yoga or recognize that being at the top of the mountain top isn't the best place to hit on a woman who is walking alone, there are still plenty who either don't recognize it or don't care.  The Alurn wasn't "created" to protect the 8 or 9 out of 10 guys who wouldn't do it but for the 1 or 2 out of 10 who would.  

It's also not about the men who give a nod or a quick "nice weather today" acknowledgement of another human being; it's about those who need to get close and have a conversation (hit on) a woman alone.  It's also not about the people who say "excuse me" as they pass behind with maybe a touch on the arm or shoulder if absolutely necessary; it's about the guys who somehow manage to find the spot on the lower back just above a woman's ass yet when they pass other men, they somehow manage to find so many other areas to touch--if they feel they need to touch.

The Alurn is there to make a woman's life easier since so many men who do this kind of thing claim they don't understand subtle "leave me alone" messaging.

I loved his "Mulelaney" line. 

I would have loved the Obedient Husband skit a lot more if Rachel's part had been about a polyamorous relationship instead of just friends.  It was the weaker part of the skit whereas I think Leslie's was funny to set up the joke and Cecily's was great for the surprise factor.

Hence my issue. If 1 or 2 guys out of 10 don’t understand cues to not start small talk, does it need to be a skit on SNL? The premise of a national show like SNL is that it satirically portrays broad, common behaviors or stereotypes. If SNL mocked men who wore white socks with crocs, a lot of people might say, “Huh?”

Aside from that, again if that were a skit about annoying behaviors from women, it either wouldn’t be done or it would set off the internet. So why do the one about men?

2 hours ago, Camille said:

There are zones of a woman's back that are okay/not okay to touch, depending on your relationship with her, and the lower back is for a boyfriend/husband, not some random stranger. I had two people who I did NOT have such a relationship with place their hands there (separate incidents) without warning or invitation and it spooked me, especially considering that one of them was a professor of mine. It was NOT an, "Excuse me, I'm just trying to get past you" touch.

So did I.

Yeah, I think my point is being missed. It isn’t that there are absolutely no men who don’t place their hands inappropriately. It’s that the number is so small, why a skit focused on it? And why not similar skits about female behaviors from a man’s point of view? It’s ofvensive to the vast majority of men who don’t do any of these things. 

23 minutes ago, Ottis said:

Hence my issue. If 1 or 2 guys out of 10 don’t understand cues to not start small talk, does it need to be a skit on SNL? The premise of a national show like SNL is that it satirically portrays broad, common behaviors or stereotypes. If SNL mocked men who wore white socks with crocs, a lot of people might say, “Huh?”

Again, the skit is from the woman's POV.  Even if we arbitrarily state that only 10% (my guess is it's higher) of men would do this, that doesn't mean only 10% of women experience it.  Cuz that 10% of guys?  They do it to more than one woman.

34 minutes ago, Ottis said:

If SNL mocked men who wore white socks with crocs, a lot of people might say, “Huh?”

Sounds like a Father's Day sketch to me.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, izabella said:

SNL had better get used to writing for strong women politicians because a whole bunch of them are in Congress now.  Pelosi is not from the south, but she is a steel magnolia, never raising her voice and often having the "bless your heart" thought bubble over her head.  They could even play her as the Italian grandmother who keeps 'em all in line, especially the big baby in the WH. 

Another example of lazy writing was Maxine Waters in that sketch, just another of the types of character Leslie Jones is always being asked to play.  No nuance at all.  As an AV Club writer noted, SNL too often goes for the easy joke over the good one.  When is the last time this show did political satire well?  

• Love 2

Ok, I laughed way too hard at that Keith Ka'weef joke ("We didn't know he was inside so when he came out, it was a delightful surprise!") because I am twelve. The sketch reminded me of the Steve Carrell graduation cold open from way back when.

I thought The Mule was just a garbage dad movie, I didn't realize it was so bonkers! Now I kinda wanna see it. Will definitely be seeing Mule-aney in 2074.

Count me in as somebody who also thought the lead singer of Greta Van Fleet looked like Pete but can't put their finger on why.

Lots of technical issues this episode. They had the wrong chyron when Aidy came out to sing her boomer song in the Millennial Millions sketch, and they had some issues getting the Raunchiest Miss Rita pre-tape going. Also, do Colin and Michael do tequila shots before Update? Sometimes they just seem so out of it and tonight was one of those times.

• Love 4