Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: LaLaPaRUza

• Start Topic

For the first time in Drag Race Herstory, all of the eliminated All Stars get a chance to return to the competition. But first they have to send home a competing All Star in a shocking midseason lip sync smackdown.

Airs January 18, 2019.

I think this episode proved why All Stars needs a "Lip Sync for Your Life" not a "Lip Sync for Your Legacy".  All four lip syncs this episode were way better than any of the other lip syncs we've seen so far this season.

• Love 24

Well, some good lip syncs (apart from Ru Pauls not so good songs) but it all felt planned (more than normal). Valentina dressed as a cat woman and than wooww, what a surprise, she got Kitty Girl!!! It all felt planned ahead, the pairs, the songs each would perform, who would win... The only thing left in suspense that the queens really were nervous/unsure it was the Latrice X Monique lip sync. 

Anyway, glad that they managed to bring Latrice back without rob any queen (specially because Monique killed that lip sync) and now lets get back to our normal schedule (please Ru, dont bring these well deserved eliminated queens back again, please, specially to ruin the finale as last season!). As far the remaining queens, I still think Valentina and specially Naomi has to prove they have something else to be a All Star (they have their moments, they actually did pretty well on their respective lip syncs tonight, but the challenges...) and Latrice... Latrice... She has talent but she didnt developed since her season and she dont need it! So I hope she stays just for more one or two weeks the most because I dont think it will make her any favors to last longer with her limitations because shes is so beloved (it could actually take away that thing she has with the fans)...

Edited by DanielleC.
  • Love 3

Note to future queens: Wear a wig that stays in place during a lip sync.  Both Jasmine and Farrah were getting thrown off by their hair falling in their face.

Naomi Smalls' lip sync to Adrenaline was one of my favorite lip syncs ever. 

Monique's leotard reminds me of the top of her mermaid outfit when she lost to the Vixen.

• Love 7

Anyway, how I would rank the individual performances on the lip syncs:

Naomi - She made alot from the song she was given, consistent strong all the way with a good variety of moves, and that part she let her body stretch.. great.

Monique - Really strong performance (apart from a few moments kinda lost at the back of the stage). Great reveal with the wig, she gave the song life.

Latrice - Very good use of the stage, strong moments.. Just the wig reveal was kinda meh (the wig under looked so cheap and boring) and after she made the split and tried to follow Monique going with her head back and forward but not as fast as it should, it was kinda embarasing.

Gia - She kinda turned it in a way a didnt expect aswell.. The only thing is that Naomi took the spotlight so we couldnt even see her full performance to judge. .But from what I saw, good job.

Valentina - The best I saw her performing... Song was a good fit, she was living the moment.. She dont give us wow moments but she kept it confident and smooth all the way, even allowing herself a couple funny moments.

Trinity - Solid job from her but I have two things to discuss: First: Not a improvement from her season (with cost her the tittle at the end) and damm, why sacrifice your runway just to have that meh reveal right at the beginning of the song? (I wont even consider the little thing she ripped of by the end as a reveal). Again, a mistake she made on her last lip sync on her season, she did again.. It was solid, but she doesnt know how to build a lip sync to create a climax or have some dynamic. C´mon girl, you sair 100 times this episode that this is what you do.. Yes, you have the moves, but be aware on how to build different levels during your performance.

Jasmine:  She did good until the very end when she went out of repertory.. We never know if shes just not trying/caring enough or if it is her real limitations.

Farrah: Guuuiiirrlll, practice in front a mirror, get some trainning, learn how to deal with your wig, how to really feel a song... A couple ok moments playing sexy, other than that just messy/lifeless.

PS: Loved Manila´s runway! Exactly the match of style and sense of humor that she has.

Edited by DanielleC.
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bourbon said:

The whole thing felt rigged as an excuse to keep Valentina and bring back Latrice. I suppose I'm OK with that one level. I don't mind when eliminated queens have to battle *each other* to come back into the competition, but it seems pretty unfair that the weak queen gets a second chance where the strong queen gets none.

I think that's why they had the eliminated select their competitor in reverse order.  So that the weaker queens would be force to lip sync against the strongest ones making it easier for the stronger queen to win (at least in theory).

That being said, I would have preferred if the show had let Valentina be eliminated last week and then have a straight 5 vs 5 lip sync faceoff.  Maybe that would have been difficult from an editing point of view but I think that would have been a more fair route (and less obvious rigging towards Valentina & Latrice).

Edited by zenithwit
  • Love 3

That's the first reality show non elimination I'm not annoyed with. I loved the format, it felt suspenseful, it was fair--it was just great television--and that last battle was epic. Monique isn't known on this show for keeping one wig on, tonight she kept on two, until a deliberate reveal. That alone was awesome. 

Speaking of reveals, Gia's was peeking out when she was on the runway, and Trinity's was...ok. I'm almost over reveals, I think, unless someone goes from less clothes to more somehow. It all seems a little done, at least right now. Or maybe they're just too expected and telegraphed. 

Do we get double eliminations now? 

Oh- Naomi. Saw her live once and she was good, but that was insane. I wish she were more of a character so I could imagine her winning. 

Adding- I wonder what else Manila has if she used that look with immunity. Also, I don't get Monet at all. Did she really think he runway was that great? 

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 5

Farrah, Farrah. If she really has been working so hard [squeaky pout voice] to improve her drag and gain confidence, it doesn't show. Until she breaks free of the one-note pink sex kitten and sparkles persona, she's going to remain third tier. I would have loved to see her carry off Gia's look.

I'm also bored with Latrice and her sequined gowns.

Hip hip hooray: Trinity, Manila, Naomi.

• Love 6

I never thought I'd say this, but Latrice lost any goodwill I had for her with her behavior this season. Girl, it's a game, and you lost. You don't get a pass because you're "beloved." The sense of entitlement was not a good look.

Yeah, it felt like her and Farrah were playing opposite ends of the same tune. Farrah thinks she deserves chances because she's trying so hard, and Latrice feel she deserves chances because she's already proved everything. I was really impressed with Latrice in the lip sync for bringing everything she could to the table...and especially impressed with Monique for bringing all that and then some. She deserved to stay and I'm glad Latrice gets a second chance, though I doubt we'll see anything especially interesting from her moving forward.

Was it just me or did Farrah look scared and confused during her lip sync, almost like you could see the thought bubbles above her head as she chose whether to flip her hair Brittany style or shake her butt. I was really rooting for her to pull through and knock Valentina off her pedestal, but instead we got Valentina showing some more comedic flair at just the right time. I was impressed with her Snooki a few episodes ago, and the kitty cat paws tonight also made me smile. She has grown as a performer and embraced new dimensions. Farah has not, and frankly seems like she needs a little bit of therapy to get over her issues and just have fun with things.

• Love 3

I think Trinity was so gooped because you can take the girl out of the pageant but not the pageant out of the girl. This episode for her must have been like a dream you have where you make Top 12 and then they start all over again. I did like how swiftly she shut down Gia.

Shallow notes: HELLO WILSON AND BRUNO, Gia looked amazing in the work room, and Naomi has got so cute as a boy, because it's not just getting his lips done.

I'm glad we usually don't have this format because it felt very American Idol with all the commercial breaks. I also agree that it seemed too manufactured as to who would face who. I'm cynical enough to think that Gia didn't think she could beat Trinity and that's why she picked Naomi. Naomi finally got to shine in this ep, so the format was a blessing for her.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, bourbon said:

I never thought I'd say this, but Latrice lost any goodwill I had for her with her behavior this season. Girl, it's a game, and you lost. You don't get a pass because you're "beloved." The sense of entitlement was not a good look. 

Totally agree with all of this, including the "I never thought I'd say this." Latrice has become a bit too grand. It's kind of sad to watch, because I always thought of her as very down-to-earth and genuine.

Gia IMO couldn't have beaten any of those girls, so she picked Naomi because Naomi isn't a stunter. But Naomi is SO COMPELLING to watch. She is one of those queens you can't take your eyes off of. I wouldn't have lipsynched against Naomi, that's for sure, because it's hard to get the judges' attention for even a second.

• Love 9

I don’t like Trinity, but I’m starting to love her.  It really should come down to Manila and Trinity at the end. I’ll still always love Latrice, but she’s been a huge disappointment this season. Naomi has been a pleasant surprise, but neither she, Valentina, Monet, Monique, nor any of the eliminated contestants have earned all-star status in my opinion. Monét and Monique sometimes do well, but have zero polish. Valentina redefines delusional. 

• Love 9

I know the show wanted drama and fireworks but I was bored with most of the first half of the episode. I usually love hearing the queens chat backstage and in the workroom, but I was bored with all the faux trash talking.

I love that when Gia Gunn was eliminated, she went on an on about how she regretted being portrayed as a shady bitch and she seemed like she had finally gained some self awareness, but as soon as she was brought back to the competition, she went back to her usual ways - delusional, gaslighting, manipulative, and annoying.

Between Jasmine and Trinity, I didn't love either of their runway looks but I preferred Trinity's a little bit more. Once the actual lip sync began, there was no question. Jasmine looked like she didn't know the words. On top of that, she looked like she was just watching Trinity and then trying to catch up with her. For me, Trinity was the clear winner.

Farrah and Valentina were pretty even for me on the runway, but Farrah lost this because she can't just rely on her Britney hair flinging to win a lip sync. She needs to be able to adapt for different songs. I didn't think Valentina was amazing (making kitty paws doesn't exactly count as the best lip sync ever), but she looked more confident and polished while Farrah looked like she was floundering and unsure what to do.

I loved Naomi's runway look. Gia's reveal look was beautiful, but I thought that wearing that covered up Catholic school uniform over it just to do a reveal was stupid. I couldn't tell if Gia didn't know all the words or if she just forgot to keep moving her lips, but either way that's a lip sync fail. She did an okay job with the dancing (good, not great) but as far as I'm concerned the most important part of a lip sync is THE LIP SYNC. I don't care about many death drops you do if you haven't convinced me that you know all the words from the beginning to the end of the entire song.

I had to laugh that both Latrice and Monique did wig reveals during their LSFYL. I thought they were pretty even in this face off so I would have been fine with either of them winning.

As far as I'm concerned, Manila won this week again. That pasta dress was fucking amazing!

• Love 7

This episode was pretty predictable, and I kind of wish Manilla and Monet did a 'safe' lipsync against one other even if they were both staying.  I'm glad Valentina stayed on (I'm surprised no one picked Naomi's lipstick,) but that lipsync featured almost no footage of Farrah, and likewise Naomi's lipsync featured very, very little coverage of Gia.  Trinity's lipsync gave a lot more time to show that Jasmine was not as good (her lipsync wasn't very tight, her wig got in the way and her dance moves couldn't beat Trinity's).  I really dislike Naomi's new lips, I hope she allows them to deflate someday.  Latrice's lipsync outfit was a huge disappointment for me (and I also wished both her wigs were better), I really hope in the coming episodes that she pulls out something new and impressive and doesn't blame her failures on other queens. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I love that when Gia Gunn was eliminated, she went on an on about how she regretted being portrayed as a shady bitch and she seemed like she had finally gained some self awareness, but as soon as she was brought back to the competition, she went back to her usual ways - delusional, gaslighting, manipulative, and annoying.

I'm sympathetic to her as a person working through her feelings about drag as a trans woman, but I'd rather she did it with a therapist outside the show. It seemed to be breaking her down emotionally, which came out as misdirected anger.

53 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

as far as I'm concerned the most important part of a lip sync is THE LIP SYNC.

I get annoyed whenever a performer turns her back to the audience. If you want to shake your ass at us, do it sideways or crane your neck around so we can still see your mouth! Additional points off for walking away entirely -- the eventual snappy turnaround is not as interesting as you think it is.

At this point Naomi has three things going for her: beauty, a sense of style, and being extremely thin. Remember the early seasons when Ru would invite the final queens for a one-on-one meal that consisted of a single breath mint? That's how I imagine Naomi's entire life.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, palmaire said:

Remember the early seasons when Ru would invite the final queens for a one-on-one meal that consisted of a single breath mint?

Is it still considered a breath "mint" if it's an ORANGE Tic-Tac? (I've always wondered that. It's like a Confucian riddle.)

• Love 5

I'm very over Farrah Moan and find her boring and whiny in general, but the difference between her performance and Valentina's was so conspicuous in this one. Valentina, frankly, often falls flat for me performance-wise. Looks great, but that's all. But here she had a very clearly, thoughtfully choreographed performance. Each beat looked intentional and she executed it well. By comparison, Farrah looked like she was winging it during the lip-sync. Like she was deciding on the fly what moves to do. A lot of the time on this show, it's hard for me to judge the lip syncs because the editing makes it really hard to get a sense of what both were doing. Sometimes, unless one clearly doesn't know the words, frankly, to me, it's a toss up. Not here. This is one of the most clear cut victories I've ever seen on this show. It really read like textbook prepared vs unprepared.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, DanielleC. said:

Trinity - Solid job from her but I have two things to discuss: First: Not a improvement from her season (with cost her the tittle at the end) and damm, why sacrifice your runway just to have that meh reveal right at the beginning of the song? (I wont even consider the little thing she ripped of by the end as a reveal).

First I thought that, too, and then I realized that they weren't being graded on the runway, just the lip synch, so she put it all into the latter.

22 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

Also, I don't get Monet at all. Did she really think he runway was that great? 

It didn't matter since she had immunity,  so I hope she burned off her weakest remaining look. Why she had it with her at all is a mystery since it was poor. 

22 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

Adding- I wonder what else Manila has if she used that look with immunity.

Agreed. It was pretty fabulous.

19 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

I'm cynical enough to think that Gia didn't think she could beat Trinity and that's why she picked Naomi.

She actually said that she picked someone she thought would be easier to beat. Latrice at least showed confidence by picking one of the two stronger competitors instead of one of the weaker two.

• Love 1

ITA with many thoughts already posted so...

Hellllooooo Sean, always great to see you (shy wave).

Miss Ru showing off those gams of hers again, yes!

Still love Latrice, hopefully she'll step up her runways after returning to the competition.

Monique telling Ru she was about to tell Ru she would meet her in the parking lot after Latrice was granted the shante first made me LOL. 

• Love 2

I also don't like when the queens go to the back of the stage, with their back to the audience.  

I think that which song each one picked was predetermined.  It would be really hard to learn extensive lip sync routines to 4 songs in that short of a time.  

I gave a sigh of relief when Manilla was granted immunity.  Not that she wouldn't have rocked the lip sync though.

• Love 4

Trinity needs to stop doing her reveals immediately when the song starts. If the cape is too cumbersome to perform in, choose a different cover for your reveal. She lost to Peppermint in S9 because she did the reveal immediately where Peppermint saved it for a dramatic moment during the song.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Glade said:

This episode was pretty predictable, and I kind of wish Manilla and Monet did a 'safe' lipsync against one other even if they were both staying.  I'm glad Valentina stayed on (I'm surprised no one picked Naomi's lipstick,) but that lipsync featured almost no footage of Farrah, and likewise Naomi's lipsync featured very, very little coverage of Gia.  Trinity's lipsync gave a lot more time to show that Jasmine was not as good (her lipsync wasn't very tight, her wig got in the way and her dance moves couldn't beat Trinity's).  I really dislike Naomi's new lips, I hope she allows them to deflate someday.  Latrice's lipsync outfit was a huge disappointment for me (and I also wished both her wigs were better), I really hope in the coming episodes that she pulls out something new and impressive and doesn't blame her failures on other queens. 

I must be missing something when it comes to Latrice. Someone else described her as a typical pageant queen and I completely agree. I haven't been impressed with most of her looks or performances, and her bragging about how she's "beloved" and deserving of the win leaves me cold. I DON'T GET IT.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I think that which song each one picked was predetermined.  It would be really hard to learn extensive lip sync routines to 4 songs in that short of a time.  

Do the contestants get a list of all possible songs before the show begins so that they can at least learn the lyrics if they want to?

• Love 3
23 hours ago, rlc said:

I don’t like Trinity, but I’m starting to love her.  It really should come down to Manila and Trinity at the end. I’ll still always love Latrice, but she’s been a huge disappointment this season. Naomi has been a pleasant surprise, but neither she, Valentina, Monet, Monique, nor any of the eliminated contestants have earned all-star status in my opinion. Monét and Monique sometimes do well, but have zero polish. Valentina redefines delusional. 

All of this.  My personal fave 3 this season thus far would be Manila, Trinity and Monique.

15 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I also don't like when the queens go to the back of the stage, with their back to the audience.  

I gave a sigh of relief when Manilla was granted immunity.  Not that she wouldn't have rocked the lip sync though.

I don't mind the turned back and walk down the catwalk during a section of the song when there's no lyrics, but yeah, agree.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

If the songs were predetermined, then the matchups would also need to be predetermined...

I wouldn't be surprised if they let the contestants choose who they'd face off against, and then the producers assigned a song for each lip sync, and told the contestants which song they were getting so they could memorize the lyrics.

And then they put "Peanut Butter" signs inside each suitcase when it was Trinity's turn to "choose" a song, and put "Kitty Girl" signs in each suitcase when it was Valentina's turn, etc.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Do the contestants get a list of all possible songs before the show begins so that they can at least learn the lyrics if they want to?

If you don't already know the words to all of Ru's songs (at least the "hits"), you shouldn't be on All-Stars. (See also Amazing Race and driving a stick, Survivor and making fire, etc.)

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

If you don't already know the words to all of Ru's songs (at least the "hits"), you shouldn't be on All-Stars. (See also Amazing Race and driving a stick, Survivor and making fire, etc.)

The hits? Honestly rupaul isn’t known for more then supermodel. She pimps her songs but I wouldn’t call anything she has released lately past her red hot cd a hit. This was just another plug for her music that no one runs out and buys. I hate when she uses her music for challenges 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 2

I don't disagree about the degree to which you can call any given one of Ru's songs "hits" but that doesn't negate that if you're going to be on this show, you should expect to encounter Ru's songs. Like going on Top Chef without a dessert recipe in your back pocket.

• Love 7

Wow, through the windmill and int the clown's mouth just to re-establish the Latrice/Valentina equilibrium. The producer manipulation is strong in this one. While I really enjoyed the episode, I didn't realize the game was so completely rigged until after it was over. And thanks, misleading interstitial, for making it look as if Latrice was Bendela-ing the joint again with her "bye-bye" gesture. 

And is it me or are Ru's songs really hard to lip-sync to? They don't lend themselves to epic performances. I wish "Ladyboy" had been in the mix.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I must be missing something when it comes to Latrice. Someone else described her as a typical pageant queen and I completely agree. I haven't been impressed with most of her looks or performances, and her bragging about how she's "beloved" and deserving of the win leaves me cold. I DON'T GET IT.

There are a few queens who are really good live and that doesn't always translate on the show. Latrice does a lot of gospel numbers in her act and takes you to CHURCH when she performs! My ex and I used to see almost everyone when Drag Race girls came to town and she is up there.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Contestants from regular seasons have said that they're given a list of songs in advance, but they're not told which order they'll be used in.

Then, when they're filming a particular challenge, the bottom two will be told which song they'll be lip syncing to, so that they can refresh themselves on the lyrics.

I don't know if it works the same way with All Stars, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

There are a few queens who are really good live and that doesn't always translate on the show. Latrice does a lot of gospel numbers in her act and takes you to CHURCH when she performs! My ex and I used to see almost everyone when Drag Race girls came to town and she is up there.

Thanks for the explanation! I appreciate that she is a talented, hard-working queen and is well-respected - but should that be enough to win All-Stars? Guess we will see.

5 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

The hits? Honestly rupaul isn’t known for more then supermodel. She pimps her songs but I wouldn’t call anything she has released lately past her red hot cd a hit. This was just another plug for her music that no one runs out and buys. I hate when she uses her music for challenges 

5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I don't disagree about the degree to which you can call any given one of Ru's songs "hits" but that doesn't negate that if you're going to be on this show, you should expect to encounter Ru's songs. Like going on Top Chef without a dessert recipe in your back pocket.

I'm definitely not saying those songs are actual hits! But I was at least familiar with those four, and I just watch this show. So I wouldn't be trying to learn the song from scratch if they told me I was going to have to lipsync to it at some point in the next month.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I disagree; I prefer Ru's music to some of the other music on the show. 

• Love 2

"Peanut Butter" is a horrible lip synch/dance song. I think the only people who could dance to it are go-go dancers in cages because you just hold onto the bars and shimmy like you life depends on it. But, ugh, what a horrible lip synch number. It was a given that Trinity was going to win. They weren't about to send her home and she's a hell of a performer. The Valentina/Farrah played out exactly as expected. Farrah isn't really a dancer from what I've seen of her so... yeah. And Valentina can flail about on rhythm so... yeah. Gia and Naomi was really entertaining. Naomi was pulling out some serious Cirque du Soleil shit. I still can't believe the way she folded herself up like that. Bravo and brava. Gia did a terrific job, too. I really liked that lip synch.

As for Latrice/Monique. It felt, by that time, predetermined for me. Clearly they weren't going to bring all of these queens back without keeping one. L&M was all about the drama. Latrice is back in the game and Monique stays. She was the one most recently departed so there wasn't a huge feeling of unfairness to it. That's how it always goes with returning queens. (Well, except for AS3 but whatever.) They always bring back one that hadn't been gone for very long.

I'm still waiting for Valentina's departure, though. Her telenovela character was entertaining to a point. She does beautiful looks but... so? She's not even the best one to do that. When Manila and Trinity are there serving full concepts and even more polished looks and also PERFORMING well and not walking around insisting on delusional takes on reality. If I want to watch delusional takes on reality I can watch the news.  I'm fascinated by the responses of recappers where Valentina's insistence that she performs well are considered charming when Milk got destroyed for the exact same behavior. (Milk's delusions about her performances were not fun to watch and I love Milk. The only thing I was disappointed in by the time she got booted was that she hadn't done any of her weird ass interpretive looks. She just went for pretty. BORING.)

And maybe the schadenfreude lover in me is really looking forward to these video recappers losing their shit when Valentina gets ousted.

Monet's look... damn, I just hope that she got rid of her weakest outfit when she had immunity because the dress had potential but it wasn't quite there. I wish the fabric had matched her skin tone more to really give off a nude illusion. That would have been more striking, I think. Meanwhile, if Manila had that as her immunity dress I eagerly anticipate what else she's got to show. But then I've always loved Manila and think she's extremely creative. She really knows how to put together a whole concept. Just love her.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2019 at 4:04 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

Haha, I thought the poster was being facetious about Ru’s monster “hits” inside of a SF leather bar or a Fire Island circuit party. ;-)

By the way, as annoyed as I was seeing the Asian Pit Crew Guy getting his box picked last, at least we got to see him more than the other Pit Crew members. More of him plz!

Edited by Not4Me
  • Love 2

That was a juicy episode! And Trinity's insistence that Gia wasn't going to run her narrative just seemed so perfectly meta.

Not a huge surprise on how everything played out, but I will say that I thought Gia's performance was more energetic. However, Naomi's core strength was so outstanding, and she just looked so fantastic, that I loved it. She gave me that one hit.

I did think that Manilla and Monet would still get to send a queen home, so a little disappointed on that, but hey. Only so much drama can be packed! And speaking of packed, I can't WAIT for the next challenge. OMG, a club night party. How has this not been a challenge before? It's so perfect!

• Love 1