Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: Blasts from the Past

Columbia is, among other things, a major river in the Pacific Northwest, the capital of South Carolina, an Ivy League university, and the district containing the city of Washington.  What it is not is a country: Colombia is a country.

Sorry, I'm a total geography nerd and had to get that off my chest; it's a major pet peeve.  Thank you, and good night.

Oh, and this episode was a gargantuan pile of septic shit.

Carry on.

• Love 4
On 1/18/2019 at 9:35 AM, xander874 said:

Yeah, but did that go anywhere? I felt there was too much going on in the Claire/Phil story. I get it was supposed to be chaotic, but the random step daughters and the mom coming to stay was odd. And are they still going to Italy? I feel that was dropped too.

When they were in the bar, Claire told Phil that with Haley having twins that she can't go to Italy because twins sometimes arrive early. I don't know why they couldn't just plan the trip earlier instead.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, nilyank said:

When they were in the bar, Claire told Phil that with Haley having twins that she can't go to Italy because twins sometimes arrive early. I don't know why they couldn't just plan the trip earlier instead.

I also agree because all Claire is doing is: "Haley and Dylan are going to kill our future grand children and we need to be there and do everything for them." Believe it or not, helicoptering grand parents are becoming more of a thing. Even those who weren't helicopter parents to their own children growing up. Instead of maybe giving some suggestions or something with their own kids and hoping they taught them right. They go into this: "We are going to be dead one day and we have to make sure they raise their own kids 'perfectly'." Then when they are dead, their kids don't know how to parent their own kids or when they truly need advice, they can't get it and then really screw up. People are so paranoid that kids are going to commit suicide from watching bad youtube videos, get addicted to devices and not know how the real world works or believe everything is going to be handed to them. They don't know how to function as an adult, outside of people letting kids make mistakes and learn from them or just try to curb them from getting addicted to things. Instead, you get a society that can't handle pressure or get insulted over the stupidest little thing. 

• Love 3
On 1/17/2019 at 5:50 AM, BusyOctober said:

I'm confused by Gloria's "uncle" story.  Gloria is Columbian.  The Alamo was a battle between Mexico & the US.  Did General Santa Anna recruit Columbians (and maybe other South Americans) to fight?  Or Gloria has a Mexican branch in her family tree, and some ancestors settled in Columbia at some point? 

They did something similar in an episode from one of the past seasons.  Jay, Gloria and Manny were at Gloria's sister's wedding and it was in Mexico.  I don't get it.

• Love 1

The writers need to milk a year out of Haley and Dylan's twins, showing the hi-jinks that ensue when Claire, Phil, Jay, Gloria, Mitchell, and Cam all have a hand in raising two children.  Haley and Dylan are the NEW modern family.

• Love 5
On 1/19/2019 at 9:20 AM, nilyank said:

Reading that made me nostalgic for when this show was genuinely funny.  Do you remember when Sal was pregnant, and it was obvious by doing the math that her current boyfriend came along too late to be the father?  But they all played along that she was only 6 months pregnant, even though it was clear that she was at full term.

When Sal's water broke at Mitch and Cam's wedding, and she still wanted her current boyfriend to think he was the dad:

"Remember, when a baby comes this early-- sometimes it's black!"

BHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Remember when they would have several lines like this per episode?  Lines we would repeat while telling our friends they should start watching the show?

I miss those days.

• Love 3
On 1/17/2019 at 8:32 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I fell asleep about halfway through and it sounds like I did not miss much.  I kida tuned out when Claire and Phil announced they were going on four week cycling tour through Italy.  Because we can all afford to do that.  So they are going to house Dylan now?  Why?  House your daughter and her babies, then get her one of those implant things in her arm that lasts for five years.

In all fairness, Phil and Claire invited them, not sure why Dylan was invited.  I would have laid down some firm ground rules before anyone comes back, though.  

Yeah, he is kinda NOT a ladies man, isn't he?

On 1/17/2019 at 8:37 AM, PaulaO said:

I couldn’t finish the episode.  Everyone and everything was ugh.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:04 AM, SimoneS said:

I missed the first 15 minutes, but I did crack up at Cam trying to hide the hot guys from Mitchell who started to drool when he saw them. Clare and Phil should go to Italy now. Gloria and Jay can watch over Haley. Too bad Manny and his most recent girlfriend broke up. I loved how she took on Gloria. The librarian girlfriend is proof that Manny isn't a ladies man though he obviously has a type.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:53 PM, Blakeston said:

Unlike last week's episode, I have a few positive things to say about this one:

1. No Pam!

2. It continues this season's trend of Manny having romantic interests who actually look like women you might see in everyday life, and not like Victoria's Secret models.

3. Mitch and Cam were depicted as sexual beings! Who have sex with each other! And on at least one occasion, actually enjoyed it!

However, there's also the bad:

1. Jay did the right thing by letting Joe believe in the legend of Alvaro, but as soon as Joe was out of the room, Jay should have told Gloria and Manny the truth. They were way too smug about the whole thing.

2. Cameron remains unbearable. "Yes, I threw a fit about you doing something I was guilty of myself, but it's because I was feeling insecure about it!" Could someone please just call out Cameron on what a terrible person he is before the series ends? That would be delicious.

3. There were a lot of bits that could have been funny, but were just wasted. Phil trying to injure Dylan? The librarian coming on to Manny at the end? The "sexy kitty" song? It was like the writers threw those things in, without even trying to make them funny.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:44 PM, seacliffsal said:

I was just confused the entire time about Dylan's mom as I thought she threw him out of the house and they did not have a relationship.  Now she's moving in with them?  I just didn't find this episode fun or funny.  I am so tired of Cam going off on Mitchell about something that he himself is also doing.  It's tired.  

I agree with an above poster that Gloria and Jay seem like they don't like each other.  Or, maybe the writers are writing them the same way they write Mitch and Cam...

On 1/18/2019 at 2:30 AM, Bazinga said:

But Gloria and Manny are always right and Jay is always wrong and Jay just needs to learn to live with it because Gloria is so hot and Jay is lucky to be with her and if Jay contradicts her, Gloria will get angry and make Jay's life miserable.  I think that is every episode.  Gloria and Manny are always smug about everything and never wrong even when they are wrong.  For people who supposedly came from humble backgrounds, they sure think highly of themselves, and poorly of Jay, who they depend on for their comfortable lifestyles.

This brings up that most of the MF characters don't like each other.  I would like to specifically point out that Mitchell and Cameron don't really like Lily.  At most they like the idea of her, but don't like her as a person and the feeling seems kind of mutual. 

Why is Dylan being thrust on us now?  In small doses he is OK, I guess, but now he is basically a regular and that is too much Dylan.  He is not funny or that likeable.  Is it misguided nostalgia for the early seasons?  Was the only possibility allowable that Haley end up with Dylan?  Like with HIMYM, Robin was always endgame even if she was not the actual mother in the title.

I am sick of Jay always having to be the better person with Gloria. It is kind of like how Cam is always such a jerk to Mitch, but Mitch still does a lot for him. It is not sweet, but eerily similar to the way someone behaves in an abusive relationship. Al

On 1/21/2019 at 4:21 PM, PaulaO said:

The writers need to milk a year out of Haley and Dylan's twins, showing the hi-jinks that ensue when Claire, Phil, Jay, Gloria, Mitchell, and Cam all have a hand in raising two children.  Haley and Dylan are the NEW modern family.

I am sick of Haley being so coddled. I remember when she was kicked out of college and Phil and Claire had to take her out to dinner because they were afraid that she was not doing anything with her life. Haley, acted all snotty and talked about getting paid sponsorships for her blogs, but never offered her parents a dime. Of course, Phil and Claire apologized.

• Love 3

I'm still hoping it will turn out that Haley's twins aren't Dylan's and she got pregnant by the professor before they broke up. Then they can get back together. She grew so much with Andy and then continued that growth with the professor. Now she is regressing. Not necessary. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I'm still hoping it will turn out that Haley's twins aren't Dylan's and she got pregnant by the professor before they broke up. Then they can get back together. She grew so much with Andy and then continued that growth with the professor. Now she is regressing. Not necessary. 

Since Hailey is not an elephant that’s not possible. She hadn’t slept with Arden since early in the Summer. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Since Hailey is not an elephant that’s not possible. She hadn’t slept with Arden since early in the Summer. 

I know people tell me I'm wrong, but given Haley and Dylan's track record. I just find it very impossible to believe that Haley just forget to take her birth control pills for a day or that Dylan didn't use a condom when not only he was he married to a woman who had children of her own. That she most likely decided: "I have enough kids, so keep yours boys in check." Especially considering the "one time" we met Dylan's "Doctor Wife" she called him on saying something stupid or when he wasn't thinking things through. Sad to say, I say that Dylan's ex was a better fit for him, just like Andy and the Professor were better fits for Haley. They knew when to call them on their crap, but at the same time encourage them to be better. Dylan and Haley are the blind leading the blind and will continue to be dependent on others like Phil and Claire long after they die. They don't know how to function by themselves. 

• Love 1