Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

Million Dollar Listing NY

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'd rather buy Fredrik's unit, and it's partially because of the terrace, and parking space.   It's also because I like Fredrik as a person. 

One thing the real estate agents never mention to the buyers, at least on camera, is the difficulties of remodeling condos, and especially coops in NYC.     My understanding is that times they can work are very limited, and there may be a lot more limits depending on the condo board.  

It’s not relevant in the ultra luxury market because the extra cost is insignificant in terms of their wealth and budgets. It’s only relevant if you are working on a middle class budget and so a few thousand dollars or extra time is a relevant factor. Just divide a number by a hundred or a thousand and then realize how little it matters to a wealthy person. Not that all wealthy people are spendthrifts but it isn’t a factor to the same extent as a middle class person.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'd rather buy Fredrik's unit, and it's partially because of the terrace, and parking space.   It's also because I like Fredrik as a person. 

One thing the real estate agents never mention to the buyers, at least on camera, is the difficulties of remodeling condos, and especially coops in NYC.     My understanding is that times they can work are very limited, and there may be a lot more limits depending on the condo board.  

Also add in the bldg supers too....Oy!

Become a fan of this YouTuber, Paula, who  renos  NYC apartments - if you watch her videos and hear how she has to jump through hoops--between the co-ops.  supers, NYC, and other restrictions....  I don't know how she stays  so sane

A good example:

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/7/2019 at 9:16 AM, scrb said:

If Emilia's getting lip injections, that would be ironic since doesn't she call Ryan puffer?

I think pregnancy has made emilia lip blow up. I'm 8 months tight now and my lips look more full then when I was getting filler. Its crazy how big they look.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Steve's "girlfriend" screams cam girl or something of that nature to me. Very sketchy and she seems to have punched a golden ticket. Not working and now has a steady paycheck from Steve for the next 18 plus years. Condoms would have been appropriate here.

Maybe Tyler will grow on me but for now I am mostly fast forwarding through his segments. 

I've never seen a man actually want his mother in law to move in and ask her to stay for an extended period! It makes Emilia feel happy so I'm glad he is doing that for her. Plus save money on a nanny I suppose. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, preciousperfect said:

I've never seen a man actually want his mother in law to move in and ask her to stay for an extended period! I

It's Greek to me.

YiaYia in the house - should make things interesting!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I knew Ryan shouldn't have worked with David the moment he bait and switched him by claiming he had two buildings for Ryan to sell and dangled that building of condos in front of him in order to get him to sell his rental building units. He knew there was no other way to get someone of Ryan's position to sell rentals. Then he insults Ryan constantly, and even when the fuck up is his own - like the rentals not being ready in time for Ryan to promote, he glossed over his own mistake to talk about how badly Ryan's doing. "When you walked in the room today, you were fired, but..." Ugh! That guy must have been born into money because that's the only way he could get away without developing a shred of personality or diplomacy and still have connections. Ryan needs to run, not walk away from this guy. I'm sure he's amassed enough savings for his family by now.

Brokers in NY must be furious about the recent NYTimes article that exposed how badly the luxury condo market is doing. The title is "One in Four New York Luxury Apartments is Unsold". https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/13/realestate/new-development-new-york.html . I'm wondering if that's not why Frederik is moving out of NY. Maybe LA's market is still doing well comparatively.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Prices were probably ridiculous but there's a lot of money out there when childhood friend who's maybe 35 has $5-10 million to invest, even in a down market.

Lot of it was foreign money, including some kleptocrats looking to launder ill-gotten gains.

But one of the brokers said the developer or the seller had marble directly imported from Italy, rather than go down to the local home improvement store.

In any case, the bubble has burst and prices have to come way down.  I don't think any of the transactions they have on the show are representative of what's going on in the market but Frederick's seller was willing to come down from $8.5 million and an additional $1 million for parking to $7.5 million and finally to $6.6 million.  Probably means they still made a good profit but had originally wanted a ridiculously good profit.

What they don't often discuss about these properties is that in addition to the high price tags, they want several thousand a month for maintenance.  That's pure profit for the developer because no amenity is worth that much.  It's like paying several hundred thousand or a million more in mortgage.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, scrb said:

Prices were probably ridiculous but there's a lot of money out there when childhood friend who's maybe 35 has $5-10 million to invest, even in a down market.

Lot of it was foreign money, including some kleptocrats looking to launder ill-gotten gains.

But one of the brokers said the developer or the seller had marble directly imported from Italy, rather than go down to the local home improvement store.

In any case, the bubble has burst and prices have to come way down.  I don't think any of the transactions they have on the show are representative of what's going on in the market but Frederick's seller was willing to come down from $8.5 million and an additional $1 million for parking to $7.5 million and finally to $6.6 million.  Probably means they still made a good profit but had originally wanted a ridiculously good profit.

What they don't often discuss about these properties is that in addition to the high price tags, they want several thousand a month for maintenance.  That's pure profit for the developer because no amenity is worth that much.  It's like paying several hundred thousand or a million more in mortgage.

There is no profit to a developer on maintenance. A condo or coop has an annual budget based on actual costs to run the building and the budget is payable by all homeowners in accordance with a formula in the governing documents. Most typically  it is based on square footage but there are other formulas. I live in a condo with amenities and the costs to operate especially in a high cost of living area like New York City are enormous which is why monthly maintenance charges are so high. Labor costs for the maintenance staff as well as doormen and other workers is extremely high and there is generally a large number of staff necessary to keep buildings running and to staff amenities 24/7.  

This isn’t a landlord situation where the owner of a building makes a profit based on the difference between operating costs and rental income. 

Edited by amarante
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, amarante said:

There is no profit to a developer on maintenance. A condo or coop as an annual budget based on actual costs to run the building and the budget is payable by all homeowners in accordance with a formula in the governing documents. Most typically  it is based on square footage but there are other formulas. I live in a condo with amenities and the costs to operate especially in a high cost of living area like New York City are enormous which is why monthly maintenance charges are so high. Labor costs for the maintenance staff as well as doormen and other workers is extremely high and there is generally a large number of staff necessary to keep buildings running and to staff amenities 24/7.  

This isn’t a landlord situation where the owner of a building makes a profit based on the difference between operating costs and rental income. 

OK so it's similar to HOAs for condos in other states then.  Though NYC coops seem to have more power than just requiring people to contribute to maintenance of common areas and amenities, since they get to approve new owners before a sale can go through.

Thing is, isn't there a large spread in maintenance fees?  So it's not necessarily reflective of actual operating costs?  Remember Luis had problems selling that one property which had high maintenance but no building amenities.

So the board running those buildings may decide to keep a huge reserve for whatever reason, even if there are no immediate costs needs to justify the maintenance fees.

I think some of the low-end apts. like those which go between $1-2.5 million are not so out of line with other areas of the country.  But if they charge say $3000 or more a month in maintenance, that is like an additional $400k of mortgage or more at 4% rate.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, scrb said:

OK so it's similar to HOAs for condos in other states then.  Though NYC coops seem to have more power than just requiring people to contribute to maintenance of common areas and amenities, since they get to approve new owners before a sale can go through.

Thing is, isn't there a large spread in maintenance fees?  So it's not necessarily reflective of actual operating costs?  Remember Luis had problems selling that one property which had high maintenance but no building amenities.

So the board running those buildings may decide to keep a huge reserve for whatever reason, even if there are no immediate costs needs to justify the maintenance fees.

I think some of the low-end apts. like those which go between $1-2.5 million are not so out of line with other areas of the country.  But if they charge say $3000 or more a month in maintenance, that is like an additional $400k of mortgage or more at 4% rate.

Most of the newer buildings that are viewed on this show are condos rather than coops. I don’t think many high end luxury coops are even being built now. There are reasons for this since the structure of a coop makes it more difficult to sell and typically the kind of people buying very expensive condos would not be approved by a coop board. They also lose the ability to be private since many of the ultra luxury condos are owned by corporations so ownership can’t be determined. 

A coop has a different ownership structure than a condo as a coop owner buys shares in the corporation owning the building and has a lease for their unit. That is why a coop Board can exercise such control over who can buy and what one can do with one’s apartment. 

With a condo, one owns a fee simple interest in the unit like any person owning a single family home and therefore there are no restrictions on transfers or need for Board approval to buy or sell. However, like any HOA there will be governing documents with rules like construction or whatever.  A condo generally enables the owner to rent it out to whoever he wants for however long he wants. Typically you can’t rent your coop apartment. 

As posted, almost all new developments in NYC are now condos especially in the very high end market. You will never see any of the expensive coops on this show because they wouldn’t permit filming for starters. 

It would be critical to examine the financials of a condo or coop before buying but in general new developments might actually have lower maintenance because the developer is anxious to sell the units. Maintenance costs vary for a lot of reasons. Some coops actually have mortgages and so a certain percentage of maintenance is tax deductible. Some buildings have some form of tax incentive or other government break which might help with operating costs. In general Boards don’t want to have artificially high maintenance costs because they are elected by the owners of the units and they also are paying maintenance. At least in my experience most buildings have lower reserves and so any large capital expenses are funded by Special Assessments. It’s the nature of people to prefer to pay less in the hope they will not be owning when the elevator is replaced or the heating system breaks down completely. 

  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, preciousperfect said:

I've never seen a man actually want his mother in law to move in and ask her to stay for an extended period! It makes Emilia feel happy so I'm glad he is doing that for her. Plus save money on a nanny I suppose. 

Maybe Ryan has watched too many of those mom-daughter threesome porns.

  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/30/2019 at 10:56 PM, jvr said:

Does the law specify that it’s up to the buyer to find this information? Or does the law specify that the broker is supposed to convey this up front? The article made it seem like laws have been passed to protect people. 

In the state where I was a licensed realtor, dual agency had to be disclosed and agreed to in writing at the beginning of the working relationship, and then within the contract if the property fell under that category. No way a buyer could claim he didn't know until a year later. I doubt New York would be less strict.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:41 AM, heatherchandler said:

I wonder if that would be legal.  I think sellers can decide to pull out of the deal until they sign the closing documents, without penalty. 

Once again, in my state, the agent earned their commission when they brought a qualified buyer to the deal. If the seller decided to back out between that point (ratified contract) and closing, they were still liable for the commission amount. 

On 9/6/2019 at 3:41 PM, 2727 said:

Quick poll: which of the five brokers is the best looking to you?

All good-looking in their own way, but Frederik brings the height. I admit it, I like tall guys!

On 9/7/2019 at 12:10 PM, Pickles said:

Steve's girlfriend. So, on the show when she was just moving in---they had known each other what? Maybe 6 months? They met on a plane and she was pregnant within a month. Good luck with that relationship. She reminds me a bit of Octomom. 

OMG, thank you! I've been trying to place why she looks so familiar. That's it!

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The terrace in Fredick's place reminded me of a courtyard for the entire building.  I don't want people up in my business when I'm entertaining or even just having a cup of coffee by myself.  Maybe  put a pergola over it it.  Very weird.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I think Luis had an episode that talked about some of the issues with buying into a co-op building.   It must have been from a previous season, because he was wearing a suit.   He had one buyer that backed out, or didn't have the money they claimed, and then he had another buyer that apparently did qualify, and buy the unit.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

The terrace in Fredick's place reminded me of a courtyard for the entire building.  I don't want people up in my business when I'm entertaining or even just having a cup of coffee by myself.  Maybe  put a pergola over it it.  Very weird.  

My friend lives on the ground floor of a building and has a large patio. There is a constant stream of cigarette butts (some lit) as well as some more "interesting" stuff like used condoms.

  • Surprise 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/13/2019 at 5:57 AM, lgprimes said:

I May be in the minority, but Luis is my favorite realtor in this show. I was so excited to have him back this season, so come on show!!! Put him on more!

I think Luis is a nice man, but a terrible salesman.  He never works to get the price down, or up for the seller.  He is horrible at negotiation, he seems desperate and that is a terrible quality for sales.

18 hours ago, amarante said:

There is no profit to a developer on maintenance. A condo or coop has an annual budget based on actual costs to run the building and the budget is payable by all homeowners in accordance with a formula in the governing documents. Most typically  it is based on square footage but there are other formulas. I live in a condo with amenities and the costs to operate especially in a high cost of living area like New York City are enormous which is why monthly maintenance charges are so high. Labor costs for the maintenance staff as well as doormen and other workers is extremely high and there is generally a large number of staff necessary to keep buildings running and to staff amenities 24/7.  

This isn’t a landlord situation where the owner of a building makes a profit based on the difference between operating costs and rental income. 

We had a situation where the builder used crappy, illegal materials and did the bare minimum to the interior and exterior - our monthly fees were sky high because we as condo residents had to basically rebuild the building as our own expense.  The building tried to sue the builder, who promptly had his LLC file bankruptcy, and he started a new LLC.  I am still so angry at the fact that this is how some companies operate.  Sorry for the rant!

43 minutes ago, amarante said:

My friend lives on the ground floor of a building and has a large patio. There is a constant stream of cigarette butts (some lit) as well as some more "interesting" stuff like used condoms.

Our old place in the city had a huge patio, and we had the same problem.  People would toss everything off their balconies and didn't even look before tossing!  I stopped going out there.  We would be sitting in the living room and beer bottles would come crashing down, people puking and peeing, someone would toss kitty litter... people are disgusting.  And this is in a luxury building.  There were a lot of renters.

  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

I think We had a situation where the builder used crappy, illegal materials and did the bare minimum to the interior and exterior - our monthly fees were sky high because we as condo residents had to basically rebuild the building as our own expense.  The building tried to sue the builder, who promptly had his LLC file bankruptcy, and he started a new LLC.  I am still so angry at the fact that this is how some companies operate.  Sorry for the rant!.

For sure there are many builders who don't build quality buildings but that is not unique to multi-family homes as there are lots of homeowners whose single family homes were poorly constructed. The field of forensic construction litigation keeps many lawyers and structural engineers busy with litigation. Caveat emptor in terms of defective construction for condo, coop and single family buyers in terms of adequate inspection. 

I was only commenting on what monthly maintenance fees cover in which someone stated that high maintenance fees were a profit center for the developers. Maintenance fees cover operating costs for the building and there is no profit to the HOA. I am more familiar with California law in terms of HOA but there are very stringent requirements in terms of having an annual budget and it being distributed to every homeowner 30 days prior to the start of the fiscal year. Maintenance costs cover operating costs plus whatever reserve the HOA decides but it's typically no more than 10% of a budget. As I wrote, most HOA's do not have huge reserves because they rely on Special Assessments for large projects.

In terms of "amenities", it really depends on what those amenities are in terms of cost. It doesn't cost much to have a room with a gym, a playroom for kids; some kind of room with a Wifi connection or even a pool. It does cost to have doormen and valet parking for example because of labor costs. The cost for maintaining the building itself in terms of super, cleaning crew etc. would be the same whether you have a doorman or not. A lot of the "amenities" don't really add to the actual operational costs of a building since they aren't labor intensive.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, TVForever said:

In the state where I was a licensed realtor, dual agency had to be disclosed and agreed to in writing at the beginning of the working relationship, and then within the contract if the property fell under that category. No way a buyer could claim he didn't know until a year later. I doubt New York would be less strict.

Once again, in my state, the agent earned their commission when they brought a qualified buyer to the deal. If the seller decided to back out between that point (ratified contract) and closing, they were still liable for the commission amount. 

Perhaps it's semantics but my experience is that whatever the contract states, the actual practice is to move on. For example, it is typical to have a buyer put down a deposit when the contract is signed and theoretically the deposit is forfeited if the seller doesn't go through with the deal unless one of the specified contingencies is operative. However, in my personal experience if the seller backs out for any reason they get their deposit back because it isn't worth it to tie up a place and attempt to collect the deposit. My realtor friends tell me that they don't go after clients even if the client somehow weasels away because it's just not worth it to get involved in litigation against a client - unless it is something really blatant like accepting an offer from a buyer that an agent brought to the table. Often there are bidding wars and the purchase price is actually more than what is in the contract.

People in business generally don't sue over gray areas especially in a word of mouth type of business like real estate.

Of course in this specific instance, it's all moot since the apartment was never really being offered but was just a storyline that was worked out for Steve to show his mentoring the female agent. Based on experience in terms of location agreements, it's not that easy to actually get permission to shoot in a multi-family building since the HOA typically doesn't want to inconvenience other residences by giving permission for the shoot and you need permission from an HOA or Board to film in an apartment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, TVForever said:

All good-looking in their own way, but Frederik brings the height. I admit it, I like tall guys!

I think Fred and Ryan are both 6'4. Steve is 6 ft and looks short next to them. Fred's gorgeous hubby Derek is even taller than Fred. I know this trivia because I like tall guys, too!

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I follow Derek on social media. He's mentioned getting his painting groove back on and attributes that to their relocation to LA. He says the climate reminds him of being in Zimbabwe. He also mentioned the kids seem happier. 

I know it was Fredrik's dream to move to NY.

So, I'm going to assume that he moved because Derek wanted the change. I love them together. I hope they're on the same page. 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I think Fred and Ryan are both 6'4. Steve is 6 ft and looks short next to them. Fred's gorgeous hubby Derek is even taller than Fred. I know this trivia because I like tall guys, too!

But Steve has horrible posture. He reminds me of the cartoon dad from minions.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/18/2019 at 5:19 PM, Surrealist said:

So, I'm going to assume that he moved because Derek wanted the change. I love them together. I hope they're on the same page. 

The preview shows Derek saying he's not happy in NYC.  He always appeared to be happy whenever we saw him, so that's kind of a shock to me.  Of course we all can put on a smiling face when we're feeling down, and nobody would ever know it.  I thought they were really happy with the big house they bought in the country too.  Oh well, I wish them the best and hope that Fredrik will still be part of this show in the future.

I didn't think it was a good idea for Tyler to go and ask Ryan what he did to seal the deal on that apartment.  I know that he wants to learn, but approaching someone and asking them how they did the job better than you would be very awkward.  Maybe if they knew each other it wouldn't be so bad, but like Ryan said, he didn't want to come across as a "douchebag."  It would be difficult to tell somebody exactly what you did in that situation.  Every Realtor would handle it differently.  Now that Tyler has seen the episode, maybe it'll be clearer to him.  I admire his willingness to learn, but sometimes one can't put into a few sentences their secret to success.  It's about experience, personality, professionalism, psychology, and a whole host of other things!  I do like Tyler though, and I hope he gets his big break with the 4+ million dollar listing.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Why couldn't they find Freddie a white disco suit that fit?  The way his jacket was pinched in the center of his back was downright embarrassing.  And it had to be the lightest, cheapest polyester fabric ever!

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I cannot stand Steve. I'm going to have to ff through his segments. He is so full of himself. Just because you were born good looking doesn't make you clever or interesting. He loves to name drop. That whole thing about the VIPS, please. He really thinks he is so great. Well he isn't, I've had enough of his big ego. And he dresses like an idiot. That suit with the old tee shirt under it and the tan sneakers? 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I didn't think it was a good idea for Tyler to go and ask Ryan what he did to seal the deal on that apartment.  I know that he wants to learn, but approaching someone and asking them how they did the job better than you would be very awkward.  Maybe if they knew each other it wouldn't be so bad, but like Ryan said, he didn't want to come across as a "douchebag." 

It puts Tyler in a terrible position when it comes to ever negotiating against Ryan. 

I've never heard of a business person giving advice to their rival except for when it benefited them in some way

Tyler was also falling for all of Ryan's games like repeating the name of the brokerage and being annoyed that Ryan didn't know who they were.

I know it was probably production directed but it would make me never hire Tyler (not that I have something in NY to sell), we've seen plenty of times in the past when the brokers have gone up against each other for the same listings, they don't dwell, they move on to the next listing. I would want someone with Ryan's bravado to sell my listing

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I cannot stand Steve. I'm going to have to ff through his segments. He is so full of himself. Just because you were born good looking doesn't make you clever or interesting. He loves to name drop. That whole thing about the VIPS, please. He really thinks he is so great. Well he isn't, I've had enough of his big ego. And he dresses like an idiot. That suit with the old tee shirt under it and the tan sneakers? 

I cannot believe Steve is on some Hamptons or wherever best dressed list. Of course, it is just all of the self important people sucking up to each other. I used to think Steve was so good looking, but I don't anymore. I saw him on WWHL and he looked awful. His hair was flat on top and sticking out on each side. Kind of like Bozo the clown. A caller even asked what was up with his hair. He also looks so hunched over and his outfits are so unattractive. He seems like a major 'bro'. His driver guy did too. No thanks. Fredrik and Ryan are so superior to Steve in every way and I mean that in a good way. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Where was Luis?!

I like the new guy.   I like that they have a spectrum of style and experience.

I like what I see of Ryan on the show, but he has some bad media about his management style, and I definately pick up on that.  I don't think he understands how to manage people well.  He's more of a dictator than a collaborator.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Jextella said:
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

I cannot believe Steve is on some Hamptons or wherever best dressed list. Of course, it is just all of the self important people sucking up to each other. I used to think Steve was so good looking, but I don't anymore. I saw him on WWHL and he looked awful. His hair was flat on top and sticking out on each side. Kind of like Bozo the clown. A caller even asked what was up with his hair. He also looks so hunched over and his outfits are so unattractive. He seems like a major 'bro'. His driver guy did too. No thanks. Fredrik and Ryan are so superior to Steve in every way and I mean that in a good way. 

Agreed on that last sentence. When Ryan first got introduced, he was much like Steve (but dressed way better than Steve has IMO). He was a bit cocky and kind of a douche but he has grown out of that for the most part and seems to be more humbled. Steve has not grown out of it and still has not proven he is on the same level as Fredrik and Ryan.   A few seasons in and I am just baffled how Steve gets any business.  

Edited by MissFeatherbottom
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

He was a bit cocky and kind of a douche but he has grown out of that for the most part and seems to be more humbled.

It was so nice when he and Fredrik actually became friends!  I think that Emelia helped him to calm down and grow up.   She's good at getting him to step back and see the bigger picture in things.  

Steve needs to cool his jets in regards to knocking Ryan for his costumes.  Fredrik and Ryan have a knack for throwing fun open houses, and they're getting results, so what's it to him?  Just stay in your lane Steve and do your own thing.  No need to constantly put the guys down for what they're doing. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

“How do I not sound like a douche bag?”

Obviously Ryan hasn’t found the answer to that question.

He got that listing by comparing the sellers to Picasso, telling them they need to find their next canvas.  He sucked up to them.

All 3 properties were too tied to the sellers’ tastes, which might not be the taste of the sellers, or the sellers after that when they have to resell.

The one with the skull looked cluttered with stuff which may or may not appeal to collectors of stuff.

I don’t get how people on real estate shows complain about any hint of wallpaper but they’re okay with hall full of disco balls.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, scrb said:

I don’t get how people on real estate shows complain about any hint of wallpaper but they’re okay with hall full of disco balls.

Because it's actually easier to change a ceiling fixture than remove wallpaper. 

I think decor including wallpaper is less important in more expensive homes because it is pretty common for wealthy people to redo any place they purchase. 

In general on these expensive listings, there really isn't that much emphasis on the decor or finishes unless it truly is part of the storyline like the woman from Miami selling her daughter's apartment. For whatever reason, the woman seemed to expect she would get full value for the ultra-expensive showers and cashmere walls that had been installed but no one is going to pay a premium for someone else's very specific aesthetic choices.

The problem with the skull unit that Ryan won out on was that if you strip away all the hideous "art" and decor, the bones of the unit were objectively terrible. It was extremely dark and cavelike and as I recall it was essentially a street level unit which should really have been used as a store or other commercial enterprise.

The disco ball apartment was absolutely going to be gutted and redone by whoever bought it but the actual bones of the place were really nice with lots of windows.

Edited by amarante
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I loved the dance off with Fredrik, and Ryan.     

I liked the price and light in the disco apartment.   For someone who actually wants light, airy spaces, that one could be updated very easily.    Some paint, and new light fixtures would fix a lot.      However, that skull place that was ground level was hideous.    It was a long, dark cave.   I couldn't believe the owners used that windowless room for a bedroom either.    That is entirely unsafe, and shows why a bedroom has to have a second egress in case of fire.   I'm hoping the NYFD fire inspectors saw that (actually, I know one, and I hope he saw that), and talk to those people about fire safety, and being trapped.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, scrb said:

He got that listing by comparing the sellers to Picasso, telling them they need to find their next canvas. He sucked up to them.

He's pretty good at telling people what he thinks they want to hear, hence the psychology of sealing the deal.  I agree with you though.  It's the polite way of saying that he sucks up to people!  I think in any type of sales job, that's what it takes. 

Even though Tyler knew "real estate 101,"  it's the art of the way Ryan did what he did that is difficult to explain.  Either you've got it, or you don't when it comes to sales.  I think that Tyler lost the deal because, as he said, he thought that by giving the owners some time to think about it they'd go ahead and list it, but in this case that was the wrong move.   That place was too cave-like for me.  I don't need a place with wall-to-wall windows, but I don't want to be in the dark either!  

6 hours ago, amarante said:

Because it's actually easier to change a ceiling fixture than remove wallpaper. 

So true.  I love wallpaper, but after having sold homes and moved several times, not one buyer ever loved the wallpaper I had in the bathroom or kitchen, so it was a detriment.  I had to remove wallpaper from a 60's style ranch home we once bought and that stuff was on there with the old kind of adhesive, which was a son of a bitch to remove!  The kind that takes the drywall off with it!  I'll never wallpaper again.  It's easier to repaint a room if I want a change.  I do miss having some pretty wallpaper though.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Steve is really coming across as a douche this season. He thinks way too high of himself and he’s annoying me a bit. I’m not sure why he’s got such a hate on for Ryan. Idk if it’s fake or not but it’s not a good look.

I did not like that dark place at all. I need lots of light.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved the dance off with Fredrik, and Ryan.     

I liked the price and light in the disco apartment.   For someone who actually wants light, airy spaces, that one could be updated very easily.    Some paint, and new light fixtures would fix a lot.      However, that skull place that was ground level was hideous.    It was a long, dark cave.   I couldn't believe the owners used that windowless room for a bedroom either.    That is entirely unsafe, and shows why a bedroom has to have a second egress in case of fire.   I'm hoping the NYFD fire inspectors saw that (actually, I know one, and I hope he saw that), and talk to those people about fire safety, and being trapped.  

But didn't they mention that the light, airy flat wasn't going to be light and airy once construction around it was done? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Who knows how long it will take to build around the disco loft.   It could be 10 years or longer before everything is built out.      Plus, who knows how high the other buildings will be, or exactly how close.    Whatever happens, I think the disco condo will always be brighter than the skull cave apartment.  

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Who knows how long it will take to build around the disco loft.   It could be 10 years or longer before everything is built out.      Plus, who knows how high the other buildings will be, or exactly how close.    Whatever happens, I think the disco condo will always be brighter than the skull cave apartment.  

Very true. I wonder if that skull cave can be turned into commercial space?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

He's pretty good at telling people what he thinks they want to hear, hence the psychology of sealing the deal.  I agree with you though.  It's the polite way of saying that he sucks up to people!  I think in any type of sales job, that's what it takes. 

Even though Tyler knew "real estate 101,"  it's the art of the way Ryan did what he did that is difficult to explain.  Either you've got it, or you don't when it comes to sales.  I think that Tyler lost the deal because, as he said, he thought that by giving the owners some time to think about it they'd go ahead and list it, but in this case that was the wrong move.   That place was too cave-like for me.  I don't need a place with wall-to-wall windows, but I don't want to be in the dark either!  

So true.  I love wallpaper, but after having sold homes and moved several times, not one buyer ever loved the wallpaper I had in the bathroom or kitchen, so it was a detriment.  I had to remove wallpaper from a 60's style ranch home we once bought and that stuff was on there with the old kind of adhesive, which was a son of a bitch to remove!  The kind that takes the drywall off with it!  I'll never wallpaper again.  It's easier to repaint a room if I want a change.  I do miss having some pretty wallpaper though.  

First of all, I'm not even sure these convos they have on the show are real or rehearsed with specific lines.

Ryan comparing them to Picasso was blatant sucking up.  There was no subtlety about it.

Plus it seemed like the sellers weren't impressed with TripleMint.  Then again Ryan pretended not to know it either, so it's probably a producer thing.

Yes there were disco balls and then there was wall mountings and outdated renovation of the kitchen and the floors needed work.

Oh and do you know why Ryan and Frederick had the same white suit and black shirt for the disco party?  Because the producers bought them at the same time.

I rather doubt Ryan and Fred have these open houses which are just theme parties often or at all.  We know that they are used to working on huge projects like whole luxury apt. buildings or complexes, not these one-off apts.

Well that is before the market tanked.  At least they're not whining about that any more, though I'm sure when Frederick is talking about moving to LA, it will be brought up again.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

It also looked like, when Ryan was walking down the entrance hall, another guy, in the background, had the same white disco suit on. He was buy the door and was wearing a hat.

I noticed that too.  Looked like everybody was having a great time!  I think that loft living would be pretty cool, but having the construction going on in the area would be a turn-off for me.  I guess if you've lived in NYC for a long time, it wouldn't be such a big deal.  Maybe they're used to it.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved the dance off with Fredrik, and Ryan.     

I liked the price and light in the disco apartment.   For someone who actually wants light, airy spaces, that one could be updated very easily.    Some paint, and new light fixtures would fix a lot.      However, that skull place that was ground level was hideous.    It was a long, dark cave.   I couldn't believe the owners used that windowless room for a bedroom either.    That is entirely unsafe, and shows why a bedroom has to have a second egress in case of fire.   I'm hoping the NYFD fire inspectors saw that (actually, I know one, and I hope he saw that), and talk to those people about fire safety, and being trapped.  

There are weird exceptions to this, at least in NYC. I used to live in a Brownstone that had the old servants’ quarters on the top floor as SRO (single room occupancy) with a shared bathroom. One “apartment” had just a skylight window, it clearly couldn’t be an egress as it was at least ten feet up. The building was built in 1885, and I think NYC grandfathered in old buildings that were up to whatever the current code was at the time of building.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 9/21/2019 at 8:12 PM, scrb said:

First of all, I'm not even sure these convos they have on the show are real or rehearsed with specific lines.

Ryan comparing them to Picasso was blatant sucking up.  There was no subtlety about it.

Plus it seemed like the sellers weren't impressed with TripleMint.  Then again Ryan pretended not to know it either, so it's probably a producer thing.

Yes there were disco balls and then there was wall mountings and outdated renovation of the kitchen and the floors needed work.

Oh and do you know why Ryan and Frederick had the same white suit and black shirt for the disco party?  Because the producers bought them at the same time.

I rather doubt Ryan and Fred have these open houses which are just theme parties often or at all.  We know that they are used to working on huge projects like whole luxury apt. buildings or complexes, not these one-off apts.

Well that is before the market tanked.  At least they're not whining about that any more, though I'm sure when Frederick is talking about moving to LA, it will be brought up again.

I don't know....its probably the only men's disco costume on the market.  You can't have a disco themed party without multiple Tony Manero's walking about. 

If there was a Tony Manero contest, Freddy WON.  Big time.  He had the cuts on his face just like Tony did the night he wore that suit to the Odyssey.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Luis's baby is darling. The baby's mother is very pretty too. 

Agreed. Is she Luis's ex girlfriend ?

I am shocked that Fredrik would consider moving to LA.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/21/2019 at 6:33 PM, Marley said:

 Oh my goodness Nikita is STUNNING! And that baby girl is perfect. I hope she brings Luis some peace and stability.

i have a question about Steve’s deal tonight. Did we ever actually get confirmation that the coop board approved an elevator? Because I call BS. That’s a MAJOR construction project. I was waiting for that promise to bite him in the a$$

Edited by lgprimes · Reason: Typo gibberish!
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, oakville said:

Agreed. Is she Luis's ex girlfriend ?

I am shocked that Fredrik would consider moving to LA.

I checked in on Luis' Instagram a few times since he left the show, but I don't recall seeing her mentioned.  I only checked it a few times, so there might be something about her in there somewhere!  Seems to me that it's all been very hush-hush though.  I wish him much happiness.

I think that Fredrik would do just about anything for Derek.  Maybe he can make this work where he'll be going back and forth from NYC to California, but as the kids get a little older and start school, I think he'll want to be there as much as he can to be able to participate in their activities.  I think that Fredrik will slowly let go of NYC.  That's sad for him though because he loves it so much.  On the other hand, Derek does have a good point about being where the kids can have more outdoor space to roam and play, and not have to worry about having harsh winters.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder why Derek wants to move to LA?

Wouldn't Florida be closer to Fredrik's home base?

I could see Fredrik selling condo projects in Miami.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm probably alone here, but ugh with Steve's and Luis' situations.

The former is a woman he barely knew before she got pregnant. And in the latter, Luis has a lot of deep seated issues. I feel like the last thing he needs right now is a kid. He's not even with the mother anymore. 

I feel like so much of it is out of left field. 

I know some viewers like the personal life stuff, but it's all become a bit too distracting. 

Next week we deal with Emilia going into labor. I don't mind Emilia, but I don't give a shit.

Fredrik, who I adore, is too much about the family and now moving to LA.

I start to feel weird about being let into people's personal lives to this extent. 

Lately I've been going back and forth about whether to delete this show from my DVR. 

Even the LA version seems to be more about house porn than that pesky personal drama.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

On the other hand, Derek does have a good point about being where the kids can have more outdoor space to roam and play, and not have to worry about having harsh winters.  

They have a big, beautiful house in CT! Why can't Derek be happy with having a country house and a city apartment? He has to complain about the "concrete jungle" of NYC. I don't know, he really turned me off with his attitude because he came off as spoiled. Fredrik works his ass off and provides a beautiful life for Derek so he can paint in his loft.  Oh, and harsh winters big deal. I grew up in NY and it's not an issue. They can go to CT for outdoor play. Kids can play in the snow, go sledding, snowball fights, build snowmen, play indoors with your friends when there is no snow, plus have all summer for the pool, picnics, etc...they can experience a childhood that LA kids will never know. So Derek's "better quality of life" BS doesn't sit well with me. Now Fredrik will exhaust himself traveling from coast to coast constantly. When will he have his time with the kids? 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size