Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing NY - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, dleighg said:

He's cute and all, but doesn't seem to have innate absolute LOVE of the hunt and the deal that Fredrik and Ryan have. 

^^^this is really true. Notice how Ryan struggled over the rental building deal. His instinct is to always make the deal....but this one goes counter to his business philosophy. He knows he should pass....yet he really wants to do it too. 

BTW, I'm a little annoyed how they portray the brokers as always so desperate to get a listing, like it would be the end of the world if they don't get it. Jeez Serhant has 60 brokers on staff and Freddy has offices in 3 cities. Missing a listing wont break them, but the producers sure want them to act like it would.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Floating staircases really freak me out!  

I was wondering if I saw that correctly!  Isn't that a huge safety issue?  How do those pass inspection?  Maybe there was a handrail, but I didn't see it.  Even so, I could never walk up a staircase like that.  They had one on previously with plexiglass all the way up, and that's a no-go for me too.  

• Love 6

With the show featuring three brokers per episode and me only liking two out of four, I'm guaranteed to be bored 25% of the time. I'm expecting to have my lips severely pursed with five brokers.. 

I wouldn't mind scenes of Luis and Ronita working, but the show really needs to cut back on the uncomfortable interview footage where his emotions are flayed raw. Also, his striped top is visually attacking me.

It makes no financial sense for Ryan to waste his days being a rental broker for 200+ units, but he absolutely could delegate the work to some of his team members. Someone like Steve's former assistant would jump at it, especially compared to making zero money on commission.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I was wondering if I saw that correctly!  Isn't that a huge safety issue?  How do those pass inspection?  Maybe there was a handrail, but I didn't see it.  Even so, I could never walk up a staircase like that.  They had one on previously with plexiglass all the way up, and that's a no-go for me too.  

Totally.  It’s the lack of railing that really freaks me out!  

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Totally.  It’s the lack of railing that really freaks me out!  

Imagine having a glass or two of wine, maybe even carrying a glass with some wine up or down the stairs.

As for Luis and Ronita, I don't think there really is much friction there.  It's all for TV.  Let's see how much longer they continue with it.  If they have them shouting at each other like other Bravo shows, then you know it's fake.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I don't get to watch this show often so I apologize if someone has already asked this question, but is it possible Luis is having a baby with a surrogate? 

He looks distraught, as if he's not sure he'll get to see the baby.  I'm assuming the mother is the lady that broke his heart.  Maybe there's some question as to whether he'll be included in her life or not.   It's a sad situation for him.  He looks like he's lost a bit of weight too.  I sure hope he's going to be okay.

• Love 5

It's interesting that all the guys have baby girls. Fred is the odd man out with baby Freddie, but still be has Milla (sp?), too. It's charming that they are all dads to girls.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Catching up on the episode now.  Floating staircases really freak me out!  Every time they show a property with one, it gives me a weird feeling in my tummy.  Like, I’d be terrified to have to go up or down one. That’s all I’ve got.  

I hate floating staircases. They ares so dangerous.  I could see kids or older people falling down & getting badly hurt.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Marley said:

I forgot that another guy is coming along too as the promos previewed at the beginning. Too big of a cast. They need to cut Luis and the new guy if he shows up.

I think they brought more people because Fredrik and Ryan probably want to spend more time with family and less on the show.

• Love 2

Sorry for the double post but after watching Ryans latest youtube video I did something I usually try to avoid...I read the comments. Anyway, one person made some vague comment about a lawsuit and I googled it. I might have missed it being mentioned here before. I don't follow real estate news that closely or these guys much outside of the show.

Ryan Serhant slapped with $1M dual agency lawsuit

I found it interesting. It could be a buyer mad that he bought at the height and is losing money now that the market is down. Or...Ryan might have broke the law by not disclosing he was representing the seller as well.

Edited by jvr
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/18/2019 at 4:39 PM, 2727 said:

Despite how much counseling Luis may have had in the last couple of years, he doesn't seem to realize that suits are not the problem.

His mindset is the problem. Dressing professionally doesn't mean he's bowing to convention, resuming old habits, or failing to be his true self. He should still be able to be present, calm, patient, or whatever he wants while still wearing a nice worsted wool.

I’m not a psychiatrist, but I think Luis could benefit from seeing one and being diagnosed as manic depressive. Then he could get on appropriate meds and be more leveled. 

On 8/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, geauxaway said:

Catching up on the episode now.  Floating staircases really freak me out!  Every time they show a property with one, it gives me a weird feeling in my tummy.  Like, I’d be terrified to have to go up or down one. That’s all I’ve got.  

Agree! And, they’re a huge problem for dogs. When I got my most recent Pug, the rescue made it clear that if we had any floating staircases, they wouldn’t consider us. We don’t have one, but I completely agree that it’s a deal breaker. 

• Love 5
On 8/25/2019 at 11:44 PM, jvr said:

Sorry for the double post but after watching Ryans latest youtube video I did something I usually try to avoid...I read the comments. Anyway, one person made some vague comment about a lawsuit and I googled it. I might have missed it being mentioned here before. I don't follow real estate news that closely or these guys much outside of the show.

I found it interesting. It could be a buyer mad that he bought at the height and is losing money now that the market is down. Or...Ryan might have broke the law by not disclosing he was representing the seller as well.

please....the guy that filed that suit sounds shady AF.  His own home was a short sale, and he's friends with Paul Manafort's SIL - I see it as the throwing spaghetti on the wall trick.  

• Love 5

I'm happy to see Luis back.  He seems to have found his style and I think he looks great.  I think certain people could get away with dressing less traditional in their profession and I think Steve & Luis fit into this category, as long as they appear clean and wear well made, non-cheap clothes and their style fits their personality.  I'm assuming Luis has/is gone thru therapy for his depression or he wouldn't have come back to the show.  I wish him the best, but yeah, don't saturate the show with him.  I think the show has enough personalities now and doesn't need the other, as yet not introduced, personality.

• Love 2

Wow, Ryan needs to calm down before he has a heart attack. I hope having a baby puts some perspective in his life. If he has 70 people on his team I'm sure they all realize that he is not responsible when the market tanks. If his agents are professionals they will get out there and hustle to make deals happen. It's not his fault if they don't. 

• Love 5

My guess on the lawsuit is someone bought at the top of the market, regrets it, and is hoping Ryan's insurance carrier will settle instead of going to court.    

My heart went out to Ryan last night.  In my opinion, that was a real reaction to the clients taking places off the market, and the downturn in prices from the stock market situation.  Add in the loss of foreign buyers from some countries, and it's a bad situation.    It will finally get through to some of the sellers that their places won't sell at the old price, and if they need to sell, then I bet they'll get more realistic, and places will sell. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

You know, I thought it might be cool to see how they deal with a tough market and 4-5 episodes in this season, it's getting so tired of them mentioning the bad market every 3rd sentence.

Hey in the last 5-10 years, Manhattan was experiencing a bubble and it finally burst, at least for properties over $4 million.

So while you guys were busy patting yourselves on the back with all those deals you made in those years, the reality was that market conditions favored your businesses, not necessarily special acumen.

So drop the fucking whining.  You each have millions in the bank and you still have big projects in the pipeline. 

Ryan blubbering about the market.  Bravo!  Once a ham always a ham.

Frederick wouldn't fly down to Miami for one single property.  But if it's on a TV show ...

Steve giving an advance to Jess.  Of course it's fake, he already probably gave her an advance or some salary for the first year.  

• Love 11
On 8/26/2019 at 12:44 AM, jvr said:

It's easy to find out if your broker is representing the seller. First, you can ask. Second you can find out by going to the listing online. Of course brokers try to sell their own listings, they get the full commission. 

On 8/27/2019 at 1:16 AM, SimonSeymour said:

I’m not a psychiatrist, but I think Luis could benefit from seeing one and being diagnosed as manic depressive. Then he could get on appropriate meds and be more leveled. 

It's now called bi-polar.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, scrb said:

So drop the fucking whining.  You each have millions in the bank and you still have big projects in the pipeline. 

This was bugging me. I mean, I get that that's their job, but with the huge commissions they've made in the past, they should be pretty financially secure. 

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, retired watcher said:

It's easy to find out if your broker is representing the seller. First, you can ask. Second you can find out by going to the listing online. Of course brokers try to sell their own listings, they get the full commission. 

Does the law specify that it’s up to the buyer to find this information? Or does the law specify that the broker is supposed to convey this up front? The article made it seem like laws have been passed to protect people. 

• Love 3
On 8/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, geauxaway said:

Bathmophobia - the fear of open staircases or floating stairs.  I have it too.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Bathmophobia - the fear of open staircases or floating stairs.  I have it too.

Me too in a way. A few years back I slid down my laundry room 3 steps and had a bad sprained ankle/broken tibia.  Since then I don't do well going down stairs.  I even had a rail installed to use on my front porch steps.  No way would I be able to go down a floating stair case.  

• Love 3

I had to look up the word bathmophobia, I was surprised there would be a word that specific for something I didn't think that many people would ever encounter (floating stairs). But the word isn't specific to a fear of floating or open stairs, it's just a fear of stairs in general or steep slopes. That makes sense. There is also a word for the fear of specifically going up stairs, climacophobia. I can see that, if the stairs are steep enough I can get a sense of vertigo but it doesn't bother me because I don't have climacophobia.

As stated previously the Steve scene was probably fake but I'm happy it was shown if that brokers storyline is going to be about her first year struggle. Because I couldn't imagine the frustration that would occur as a new broker with no money coming in having your first sale be stripped away by some flaky ass seller. I know, it's that guys home and he can decide to stay there if he chooses...it's just shitty to make people work hard to sell your house and then change your mind (if nothing drastic has changed in your life situation). As a new broker you don't have much power but I'd think brokers like Ryan and Fredrik probably have contracts drawn up that state they get paid a commission if they bring in an offer at or above the listing price, whether it sells or not for some of their clients, especially the unreasonable ones that want to price it way higher than they recommend.

Edited by jvr
  • Love 4
On 9/1/2019 at 12:47 PM, jvr said:

As stated previously the Steve scene was probably fake but I'm happy it was shown if that brokers storyline is going to be about her first year struggle. Because I couldn't imagine the frustration that would occur as a new broker with no money coming in having your first sale be stripped away by some flaky ass seller. I know, it's that guys home and he can decide to stay there if he chooses...it's just shitty to make people work hard to sell your house and then change your mind (if nothing drastic has changed in your life situation). As a new broker you don't have much power but I'd think brokers like Ryan and Fredrik probably have contracts drawn up that state they get paid a commission if they bring in an offer at or above the listing price, whether it sells or not for some of their clients, especially the unreasonable ones that want to price it way higher than they recommend.

I wonder if that would be legal.  I think sellers can decide to pull out of the deal until they sign the closing documents, without penalty. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I wonder if that would be legal.  I think sellers can decide to pull out of the deal until they sign the closing documents, without penalty. 

It's not illegal I don't think, it's a contract. If it states the broker gets paid if the seller pulls out then that's the penalty. How many sellers would sign such a contract, I don't know. But Ryan and Fred might have enough sway and rich enough clients that don't blink at 100s of thousands of dollars floating out of their hand because they passed gas and decided that was a sign that today wasn't the day to sell their 20M dollar home.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:56 PM, jvr said:

Does the law specify that it’s up to the buyer to find this information? Or does the law specify that the broker is supposed to convey this up front? The article made it seem like laws have been passed to protect people. 

In most states, there are laws and rules by the real estate commission that dictate full disclosure by brokers about who they represent and how they get permission to be a dual agent. (Represent both buyer and seller.)  

Has anyone around here seen this new Bravo flipping show called Flipping Exes?  I can't find anything about it around here.  It's not very good, though.  Maybe, that's why. lol

• Useful 1

I've never heard of a real estate contract that requires the owner to pay if the agent brings a client. Payment is not due until escrow closes. 

I would imagine that the specific apartment that Steve's friend decided not to sell was a set up anyway so that there could be some "drama" about the neophyte agent and Steve mentoring her and dressing in the costume etc. To the extent that the woman required any incentive to "fake sell" a unit besides wanting to be on television, she received great promotional value as she was depicted as a good agent to any potential buyers or sellers in the future.

Agents protect themselves by getting a commission on anyone who they brought to view a unit even after the contract expires. This prevents a seller from refusing to close a deal with a potential buyer and then selling to a buyer and trying to avoid the commission.

9 hours ago, amarante said:

I've never heard of a real estate contract that requires the owner to pay if the agent brings a client. Payment is not due until escrow closes. 

I googled "pay commission even if the property doesn't sell" or something along those lines and got this. www.realtor.com Hired a Friend as My Broker, Got Offers, Then Decided Not to Sell. What Now?

It has this example Chicago contract in the article:

If, during the term of this Agreement, Broker obtains an offer to purchase the property at the marketing price, or if Owner enters into a agreement for the sale or exchange of the property at any price and upon terms to which Owner consents, Owner shall pay Broker a commission of 6% of the total purchase price of the sale...

So, if I'd gotten my clients an offer at or above asking, they would have owed me a commission. Alas, the best offer was $15,000 under. 

If I'm reading that right then it does happen from time to time... how often I don't know. Maybe not in normal contracts with pleebs but maybe rich folks might be ok with it.

• Love 1

I did the real estate school thingy about 20 years ago, got my license, never worked as an agent, but I seem to think that here in Illinois the seller can not pull their listing while under contract and if they do, the agent still gets a penalty fee from the seller.  I mean, it only makes sense, what's the point of a contract if the seller can negate it at any time?  

• Love 4

This new guy Tyler(?) is as annoying as Luis was in the early seasons.

Now that he's told his weight loss story, I feel a little bad for him but he's still obnoxious as hell.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

This new guy Tyler(?) is as annoying as Luis was in the early seasons.

Now that he's told his weight loss story, I feel a little bad for him but he's still obnoxious as hell.

I'm hoping that he's just playing it up for the cameras and maybe he'll settle in and get along with the guys. His story was sad, especially hearing that the people he thought he could look to for acceptance in NYC were the ones who made fun of him.  I guess it just stuns me that in this day and age with so much talk of tolerance out there, that we're still dealing with people being made fun of for their size and other things.  I guess some things will never change.  I really thought we had come farther than that as a society. Sigh. 

I didn't realize that Steve still had some animosity towards Ryan.  He took his joking just a little too far with Ryan.  At least Ryan makes his listing parties fun!  He's serious when he needs to be, so wearing a costume every once in awhile livens things up!  Quit being a stick in the mud, Steve!

• Love 9

Yeah, I can't remember if I've taken against any of the other brokers on the MDL shows as quickly as I did with Tyler.

OTT people exhaust me, but he seems like a friendly and good-hearted person so we'll see.

Fredrik cuddling with his client's dog was super cute.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with Derek and L.A. next week. We'll all be sipping that tea about you, Fred!

• Love 6
14 hours ago, 2727 said:

Yeah, I can't remember if I've taken against any of the other brokers on the MDL shows as quickly as I did with Tyler.

OTT people exhaust me, but he seems like a friendly and good-hearted person so we'll see.

Fredrik cuddling with his client's dog was super cute.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with Derek and L.A. next week. We'll all be sipping that tea about you, Fred!

me too, I realize that previews are often taken out of context, but the way Derek said "actually I hate it" (referring to living in NYC) made me think there's more to the story.

• Love 3

So are the Frederick segments going to feature him selling properties in LA? Otherwise, his buyer was willing to cut a million from the asking price, not even ask anything additional for that apt, when she initially wanted $1 million for parking space?

I wonder if Steve's new $16,000 a month apt -- which seems to be only 1 bedroom? -- is about as real as Kathryn' Denis' $6600 a month home in Charleston on the lasts season of Southern Charm.

OK amenities but I thought he was busy and already went to some gym with a trainer anyways.  Otherwise, ridiculously expensive to swim a few laps in the indoor pool.

Does Ryan wear costumes in his business away from the TV show?  I'm guessing not, so why does Steve get bent out of shape about it?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, scrb said:

Does Ryan wear costumes in his business away from the TV show? I'm guessing not, so why does Steve get bent out of shape about it?

Either the script writers are forgetting their continuity or it indicates that Steve never watched the show before he was on it. Ryan is kind of known for that.

Steve was the one who looked like an artsy hobo compared to most of the other brokers who were at the open.

Quick poll: which of the five brokers is the best looking to you?

If I just saw pictures and didn't know them, I'd rank them as Ryan, Luis, Fred, Steve and Tyler. (Long way around to say that Steve isn't all that. A lot of models aren't so much beautiful but just have the bone structure to photograph well.

I commend Tyler for talking about his weight loss surgery. It isn't the easy way out and does still require a lifelong commitment to diet and exercise.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Quick poll: which of the five brokers is the best looking to you?

They're all objectively good looking, but Steve's belief that he's so sexy makes him less so to me. Luis is more attractive when he's clean shaven. Tyler looks well groomed, approachable and friendly more than handsome.

Derek is the real hottie!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, scrb said:

So are the Frederick segments going to feature him selling properties in LA?

I haven't read what he's going to do, but I  hope he will stay on with the show.  I guess it'll mean seeing less of him as they get Luis and the new guy in the mix.  

42 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Either the script writers are forgetting their continuity or it indicates that Steve never watched the show before he was on it. Ryan is kind of known for that.

I'm not sure why Steve felt the need to poop all over Ryan's party like that! Maybe he's a little jealous that Ryan can pull something like that off.   I think they're all handsome men, but I love to see a man in a well-tailored suit in this particular environment.  The unkempt look doesn't do much for me.  YMMV.  

• Love 4

A little off-topic but is it a prerequisite that all the girlfriends and wives appearing on the show have to have lip injections?  Steve's girlfriend looks like she wouldn't be able to close her mouth properly.  her lips don't match her other features, that's for sure, very unnatural.

I was sorry to see that Emilia this season has now jacked her face so she is unrecognizable from that pretty girl we were introduced to a few season's ago.  I am sorry to be so judgy but it's so distracting to see these cartoon lips on all these women. 

• Love 11

I wish this show wasn’t so OTT phony. I enjoy looking at all the gorgeous properties but the constant acting by the men is so dumb. I know it’s a tv show but I wish they weren’t all clowns. I was going to say I like Steve the most but then I realized he put on a ft suit last week which would make me a hypocrite. My least Frederick. I usually have to fast forward all his stuff.  I have watched this show off & on over the years. Has there ever been a woman as full time cast member realtor like the 3-4 men that are shown?

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, jrzy said:

A little off-topic but is it a prerequisite that all the girlfriends and wives appearing on the show have to have lip injections?  Steve's girlfriend looks like she wouldn't be able to close her mouth properly.  her lips don't match her other features, that's for sure, very unnatural.

I was sorry to see that Emilia this season has now jacked her face so she is unrecognizable from that pretty girl we were introduced to a few season's ago.  I am sorry to be so judgy but it's so distracting to see these cartoon lips on all these women. 

I don't know when that specific botoxed, lip injected look became de rigeur among a certain sector of women but I think it has become completely ubiquitous to the point where I suspect that a woman with "normal" features would look odd. The Kardashians seem to personify a glorification of beauty as one that is trying to achieve what is essentially a photoshopped reality.

What I find disconcerting and hilarious and ultimately sad is when I am watching film or television and the actress portraying the teenager has more facial lines than her mother because the younger actress isn't yet Botoxing so when her face moves, there are lines whereas the actress portraying the mother is botoxed and nothing moves except the lips.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I absolutely despise the frozen-faced, puffy-lipped look.  And yes, Steve's girlfriend was so frozen she looked like a statue.  Emilia too....yes, that girl we met several seasons ago when she first started dating Ryan was so fresh-faced and beautiful.  She now looks like a caricature of herself.

Hollywood has a hard time casting actresses for older roles to play, say, someone from another time period, due to all the injections the actresses get.  You can't be in a Jane Austen movie if your face is frozen.

I just don't get the attraction, where only the actual lips move, but not the rest of the face.  When did this become the norm?  More important....why?

I work with dentists, and one day, a dentist told me to wait in his back office.  He came in, took off his mask, and was dying laughing, as his patient had so many injections, he couldn't pull back her lips to look at her teeth.  He said he's seen a ton of injected lips, but this one took the cake, and he said it literally took all his strength to pull her lips back with one hand while he tried to get his little mirror in.  I asked if he thought it looked attractive when women did that, and he howled.

Edited by Sterling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3