Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing NY - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's a noble endeavor but the bang for the buck doesn't seem that great, spend $4.5 million to house 20 teens.  Surely there must be more kids in need?

And if they spent that money in another borough, they might be able to get twice the space.

Though maybe there's a need for those kids to be in Manhattan, like finish schooling there.

Is this typical of the charitable work Frederick does or was this for the show?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, aghst said:

It's a noble endeavor but the bang for the buck doesn't seem that great, spend $4.5 million to house 20 teens.  Surely there must be more kids in need?

It's 20 kids at a time.  The 4.5M house is going to help thousands of LGBTQ+ kids in the long run.

7 hours ago, aghst said:

Though maybe there's a need for those kids to be in Manhattan, like finish schooling there.

I would imagine that having a legal residence in a good NYC neighborhood would mean access to an equally good public school system for these runaway and throwaway kids.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, aghst said:

Surely there must be more kids in need?

I'd assume that there will be a limit to how long they can stay there, so maybe they'll have a fairly short waiting time for new kids coming in.  

I really enjoyed seeing Ronita again. I’m glad she’s doing well.

I liked seeing this side of Fredrik, and I hope they can work out a way to purchase the home for the teens. Such a shame that the donor pulled out. 

Does Steve have a lot of listings in NY? I’m sure he does, but it seems like we’ve so little of him this season, and a big chunk of it was the house in the country. Maybe his sellers wouldn’t agree to allow him to put the listings on the show.

• Love 2

Yeah Ronita looked good, maybe lost some weight.

How does she build up a team?  She must have gotten Luis' client list and probably worked up her own clients?

• Love 1

As usual, I liked KJ the best. It was funny when I saw the random dark haired guy in her car I said it better be her brother because they have the same smile & teeth. Luckily, he was. LOL!!!! She seems the most normal and her brother was the same. She was right about the closets and even after somewhat improving them it was still an issue for the two smaller units. Of course, everyone went gaga over the larger unit with the view. If you got a great view it’s gonna cost more folks. LOL!!! I’m sure the smaller ones will sell though. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, QQQQ said:

I thought air rights allowed developers to build higher, if desired (and allowed).

I think that's true but I thought they bought up air rights maybe to keep certain properties clear?

At the height of the bubble, I think the were building taller and taller condo towers on "Billionaire's Row" which is like Central Park South, like 57th street or thereabouts.

But they made them skinny towers, so maybe easier and cheaper to build them skinny and tall.

• Love 1

getting caught up, but have wondered this for awhile. What on earth is Tyler's painting supposed to be? (and it's not blurred out, which most artwork is-- what does that mean?)

Do I just have a dirty mind?

IMG-9417.JPG

• LOL 2
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

getting caught up, but have wondered this for awhile. What on earth is Tyler's painting supposed to be? (and it's not blurred out, which most artwork is-- what does that mean?)

Do I just have a dirty mind?

IMG-9417.JPG

I’m going with it’s subjective. LOL!!! It doesn’t look like anything but what do I know. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, QQQQ said:

I wonder how often people buy a place with a view only to have it disappear when a new building goes up.

We've seen quite a few buildings in NYC where buildings go up within feet of one another.  That would be a bummer to buy one not knowing if something else can be built next to it.  That's something I'd want to know before buying something that has a good view.  I'd be really mad to have another building be within spitting distance to my window!!

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, dleighg said:

kirsten and her brother-- looking for those "first time buyers" who have $1.5m to spend on a 2BR. Just shaking my head.

It’s funny. I didn’t even give that a second thought. I’m so used to outlandish prices that $1.5m sounded like a deal. I guess I’ve been misted by MDL.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

It’s funny. I didn’t even give that a second thought. 

Me either!  Given how much most properties go for on this show, $1.5 sounds like a bargain!  It's way over my budget, but that's on the less expensive end for NYC.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I’m going with it’s subjective. LOL!!! It doesn’t look like anything but what do I know. 

I never noticed it on the show. In the screenshot above it looks like an arm showing off its biceps. I think that's a hand that's curved back at the end.

The building that Steve lives in is pretty cool looking, but I'm not a fan of the no overhead lighting in the bedrooms.  He did say that it is wired for it though.   It's not uncommon to find older homes and apartments here in the South that didn't have overhead lighting and weren't wired that way.   I'm wondering if this will be a trend again.  

The apartment that Ryan showed the guy from Australia (50th) floor was really nice.  I couldn't live on the 50th floor though.  My anxiety kicked in as Ryan got close to the windows!   I hope that the apartment the guy ended up buying on the 46th floor had good views too.  He bought it without seeing the view from that side of the building.  I couldn't plunk down $5 million on something I didn't physically walk through!  

I loved the loft that Kirsten was selling.  I think that $10 million is too much for it though.  Not that I know real estate, but I agreed with Kirsten on the pricing of that one. 

• Love 3

I must be the only one who can't stand the building Steve lives in.  I think it's ugly as is, and it will soon be more dated looking than VHS tapes.

I don't like the fact that there are no overhead lights.  Lamps just don't cut it.  Plus, I gots to have me some ceiling fans.

The odd window shape means that blinds/curtains won't work, hence the HomeGoods "privacy" screen in Steve's bedroom.  But that means that outside light is in, all day/night, which would drive me crazy.

Why did Steve's girlfriend wear that leopard print....onesie?  For a simple play date.  At least Emilia showed up in jeans.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

The odd window shape means that blinds/curtains won't work, hence the HomeGoods "privacy" screen in Steve's bedroom.  

I thought I heard him say that he was going to lower the blinds.  Maybe there were built-in blinds that we didn't see.  I agree though, I can't have light shining in my windows at night.  I'm not usually a fan of the ultra-modern buildings, but I like it better than some of them that are pretty much all square windows on the entire building!  It didn't look like there was a lot of privacy in some of those apartments.  You could see the wing over to the left when looking out the window.  I don't like feeling like I'm on display! 

I liked the warmth of the loft that Kirsten was selling.   

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I must be the only one who can't stand the building Steve lives in.  I think it's ugly as is, and it will soon be more dated looking than VHS tapes.

I don't like the fact that there are no overhead lights.  Lamps just don't cut it.  Plus, I gots to have me some ceiling fans.

The odd window shape means that blinds/curtains won't work, hence the HomeGoods "privacy" screen in Steve's bedroom.  But that means that outside light is in, all day/night, which would drive me crazy.

Why did Steve's girlfriend wear that leopard print....onesie?  For a simple play date.  At least Emilia showed up in jeans.

I think the building looks dated already, it looks like some 60's or 70's Jetson style space ship.  The window shape is awful, and the lack of overhead lights is worse.   I wonder if the lack of ceiling fans or overhead lights is to disguise that the ceilings aren't that tall, and would have odd shadows from the strange room shapes?      I know Steve said the smaller closet was his, but that apartment didn't have a lot of storage space, and if they had a huge main closet, they didn't show it.     

The building amenites were great, but the automated parking situation, at about a half million a space on top of the purchase price, and I'm guessing steep maintenance or condo fees, is strange.  

I'm so glad Ryan's client bought something, and I was getting tired of his ever increasing list of must haves. 

I love the loft that KJ's selling, and the seller's agent was so adorable.    I liked that despite it being a loft, that the walls went all the way to the ceiling.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

As far as the design, I think it's kind of cool, but I agree with you,  I think it will look outdated sooner rather than later.   The newer, modern buildings look weird next to the older buildings, but sadly, we're seeing more and more of those going up in the big cities (at least from what I can see on this show.)    I thought that it had nice amenities though.  

I'm not a big fan of open floor plans because I like a little separation of the main rooms, but I think that loft living would be pretty cool and I like the open concept with that.  They don't tend to have weird chopped up rooms like some of the NYC apartments do.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I can't stand it, either. A large part of the charm of NYC are all the pre-war buildings and the beautiful brownstone buildings. The modern crap ruins the look of the city. 

Not so sure Steve really lives there because the apartment looked barely furnished. The bedroom looked like something from a college kid just starting out. Doesn't his girlfriend have any taste or maybe she's not allowed to spend any of his money. It was not homey or welcoming at all. 

• Love 5

I thought Steve’s building was an old (turn of the century) and, I was surprised it was newish. I could see the appeal of it being that it’s unusual looking but I don’t think it’s particularly pretty on the outside. I think Steve is a (rich) minimalist. Hence his T-shirt’s & no lighting & minimal furniture. When he does dress up it’s expensive clothes but super casual. Of course, with his good looks he can get away with it.

I liked KJ’s loft and I think (not that I know anything) was spot on about the price. She tells like it is but usually starts with the marching orders that are given but eventually gets the seller(s) to face reality. 

Tyler did a really hustled tonight and worked his ass & iPhones off. I’m sure a lot of it’s for show (and, tv) but he seems to work for it even during a pandemic. 

No Frederick tonight. A major plus for me. 

• Love 1

I was surprised when Steve said they are renting in that building.  That must cost a fortune.

Why wouldn't a successful realtor own?

I can understand Tyler not owning, as he's much younger and starting out.  But Steve has been in this business long enough to negotiate the best possible deal.

Ryan obviously owns, as does Kirsten.  And Frederik is about to move into his "forever home" with Derek, that they purchased.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

I was surprised when Steve said they are renting in that building.  That must cost a fortune.

Why wouldn't a successful realtor own?

I can understand Tyler not owning, as he's much younger and starting out.  But Steve has been in this business long enough to negotiate the best possible deal.

Ryan obviously owns, as does Kirsten.  And Frederik is about to move into his "forever home" with Derek, that they purchased.

I’m always shocked when a rich realtor rents. I’m like, what does he know that I don’t. LOL!!!! Obviously, he’s rich enough to buy but he’s renting. Why? Maybe, you can’t own there. It could be a lease building?! I don’t know but there is some reason. I remember thinking was odd when Tyler was doing the same thing a few weeks ago but like you said he was just starting out. Of course, seeing how minimalistic Steve seems to be where he lives maybe owning isn’t his thing. I mean the guy doesn’t even believe in overhead lights. LOL!!!

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I’m always shocked when a rich realtor rents.

I dunno, my daughter, who makes a nice living, has convinced me that *in a high cost city* renting is a better deal than buying (at least at non-stratospheric income levels). The multiplier for mortgage payment vs rent payment can be 3 or 4x, plus maintenance, repairs, etc. (And even if you're paying cash, there's the lost investment opportunity). Not saying that this is the calculation he's making, but some people do make that decision. Of course if you do find your forever home, and want to make it yours, that becomes a different issue. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Steve was really into the Zaha Hadid brand just because she was famous architect.

Interior finishes are nice but yeah it's a specific look from the outside.

What is crazy is you can spend millions to buy an apartment and then you're on the hook for $5k or far more a month for the property taxes and the common fees.

The advantage of owning vs. renting is writing off mortgage interest and property taxes and building up equity, potential for appreciation.

But the caps on SALT pretty much took away the advantage of high-value real estate and in NY, they're talking about people barely getting their money out or taking a loss if they bought at the peak of the market a few years ago.

So maybe that's Steve's calculation, doesn't want to buy at prices which he may think could still fall.  If he puts that money in the stock market, either the whole price or the down payment, it could appreciate faster than the real estate market might.

That place that KJ was trying to sell, the seller says he can just rent at $30k a month but even then that may be like the sellers trying to get the same price which properties were getting in 2017, at the peak of the market.

There may not be so many people willing to spend over $350k a year on rent.  Wouldn't be surprised if KJ got them to drop the sales price and she tells them they may not get the same rent they have been getting.

• Love 1

I forgot about the crazy parking fee. Wasn’t it like $500,000 or something? Even the couple who were into the place were taken aback by the price. I think the wife said we could buy 3 or 4 cars with that money. LOL!!!

4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I’m always shocked when a rich realtor rents.

I read this comment and thought that with a baby now he's probably looking toward a future with a house and yard. Just spotted this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/06/realestate/steve-gold-soho-loft-sale.html?

‘Million Dollar Listing’ Agent Has His Own New Listing

Steve Gold of the Corcoran Group is selling his fully renovated loft on Wooster Street in SoHo. The asking price is $9.995 million.

"Though he will miss the downtown home, he decided that a “less busy environment” might be better for his young daughter. “I always thought this was going to be my forever home,” said Mr. Gold, who will serve as the property’s listing agent. “But I feel compelled to be closer to my family. I grew up in Stamford, Conn., and I’d like to raise my child outside the city.”

Article says he bought that apartment went he went to look at it as a possible listing for him.

• Love 3

From the comments: On the show, he lives in a Zaha Hadid apartment, not this loft. Odd.

Reply: ..but in the current season he does mention the 'forever home' he's building. I guess it wasn't forever in the end.

So apparently he was renting the other place and rehabbing this one. 

I just saw the one with Frederic trying to find a house for the Ali Forney Center and was sickened. When their "donor" fell through he really couldn't find it in himself to give a few million? He doesn't have contacts that could find $4m in their couch cushions? 

And the dissonance with KJ's nepotism/$1.5m "starter" home. It just reminds me why I sometimes hate this programme. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I forgot about the crazy parking fee. Wasn’t it like $500,000 or something? Even the couple who were into the place were taken aback by the price. I think the wife said we could buy 3 or 4 cars with that money. LOL!!!

Yes, the parking fee per space in the automated parking garage started at about $450k, and went up to almost $600k.  

KJ constantly talking about Italians is annoying. We get it you lived in Europe. Also she just travels to Switzerland during the pandemic? Like always rules don’t apply to rich ppl. I don’t like her now.

No Tyler was a plus. 

The Australian guy was annoying as fuck. Why did he need an apartment in NY again right at that very moment.

I don’t like Steve’s apartment building either. I usually like modern but his seems ugly to me I don’t like the windows and the views didn’t seem that great.

Ryan bugging Steve does crack me up tho lol.

• Love 1

Well, I'm very disappointed in Ryan if he's been trying to take Fredrik's clients away from him.  I hope that we'll get Ryan's side of the story next time.  I thought Ryan was better than that.  

I really didn't like some of the decor in Ryan's $16 million listing.   The property was beautiful,  but I'm sure much of the bedazzled wallpaper will be coming down if somebody buys the place.  It was pretty, but either that's going to be a 'wow' moment for some, or an 'ugh, I have to remove wallpaper' moment for others!   I didn't like the bedazzled leather headboard either.  YMMV.  

The furniture/art in the apartment Fredrik toured was not impressive to me either.  I can't believe people would pay $45,00+ for oversized white furniture.  Not that there's anything wrong with white furniture, but $45,000?  C'mon man!!   

• LOL 2

I do understand the developer who is concerned because Fredrik isn't in NYC full-time.  Fredrik said "but I'm here now."   On a much smaller scale, during the sale of our previous home, our Realtor was super busy flittering around the state for various business & personal reasons, and our listing didn't get the attention it needed.  It was really annoying.  Associates who stepped in weren't familiar with our property and weren't very helpful either.

I think Fredrik has spread himself too thin these days.  He says that he loves California, but it seems to me that his heart is truly in NYC.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 3

So the owner of the apartment with the empty pool doesn't want to fill it because it would be too much maintenance. Perhaps a potential buyer might think "if it's too much maintenance for the owner, what does that mean for me if I own it!"

• Love 7
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

So the owner of the apartment with the empty pool doesn't want to fill it because it would be too much maintenance.

You would think that someone with that owner's assumed wealth could hire someone to stop by weekly and maintain it!   Esthetically it would look so much better to potential buyers if it were full.   

• Love 6
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

So the owner of the apartment with the empty pool doesn't want to fill it because it would be too much maintenance. Perhaps a potential buyer might think "if it's too much maintenance for the owner, what does that mean for me if I own it!"

Pools are alot of money and work to maintain on level ground. I couldn't imagine the logistics and cost to fill it and then weekly cleanings etc to maintain it so it looks perfect for every showing when they don't live locally. Again its expensive for the average home in the suburbs, can't imagine NYC. And it wasnt even spring/summer was it? I agreed with the owner that it seems like a waste of money and I wouldn't bother either if I was the owner. Ryan seemed to be looking for an excuse by insisting on something so trivial. That said if I was a buyer, part of my offer would be the seller fills the pool before closing. 

Ryan needs to layoff the caffeine or whatever he's popping to stay alert with all his new found business. He's becoming unlikable fast. That final scene with Steve was cringeworthy.

• Love 2

I wonder why they didn't fill the pool with some large, glittery blue paper or something, to make it look like water.  For very little money, the interior designer probably could have come up with something really cool to make it look like it was filled with water.  And saved Ryan from having to haul those bikes around.

Frederick wanted to stay in NYC, but Derek wanted to raise the kids in LA, to have more space.  Frederick offered to move to Connecticut, or Long Island, or somewhere close, but Derek was insistent.  I've always perceived an imbalance in that relationship, but that's for another thread.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I do understand the developer who is concerned because Fredrik isn't in NYC full-time.  Fredrik said "but I'm here now."   On a much smaller scale, during the sale of our previous home, our Realtor was super busy flittering around the state for various business & personal reasons, and our listing didn't get the attention it needed.  It was really annoying.  Associates who stepped in weren't familiar with our property and weren't very helpful either.

I think Fredrik has spread himself too thin these days.  He says that he loves California, but it seems to me that his heart is truly in NYC.  

Fredrik also has his own brokerage in Sweden, sells in NY, and L.A., and then is the representative for luxury developments all over.   He's been spread thin for years.    He also has agents that are on his team in Sweden, NYC and LA, and maybe other places, so I'm guessing a lot of the developer footage was for filming.    I'm sure that Fredrik gets the listings, and then his local agent actually does the work on site.  I bet his agents that work for Fredrik do the actual work on the properties, and my guess he's mostly in LA or NYC, for filming. 

I think that scene with the developer on the penthouse was just a scene to show off the designer furnishings, and publicize the penthouses, and the developer's projects.    I liked the bathroom with the veined granite or marble or whatever it was.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

Frederick wanted to stay in NYC, but Derek wanted to raise the kids in LA, to have more space.  Frederick offered to move to Connecticut, or Long Island, or somewhere close, but Derek was insistent.  I've always perceived an imbalance in that relationship, but that's for another thread.

I wonder if Fredrik agreed to the move because years ago when he wanted kids, Derek seemed very reluctant to the idea.  Maybe Fredrik felt like he owed him one since he agreed to having kids - which was a huge concession on Derek's part (in my humble opinion!) 

1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

For very little money, the interior designer probably could have come up with something really cool to make it look like it was filled with water.  And saved Ryan from having to haul those bikes around.

I was thinking of a pool cover that had some sort of design/mural on it that looked like the pool was filled with water.  Seeing as how this wasn't that long after the lockdown was lifted, it probably would've taken awhile to have something like that made though. 

1 hour ago, HotHW said:

I couldn't imagine the logistics and cost to fill it and then weekly cleanings etc to maintain it so it looks perfect for every showing when they don't live locally.

They could probably put an automatic pool vacuum in it and set it on a timer, and usually you just add chemicals once a week.  I don't think it would be all that difficult to have a pool person come by once a week and check on it.  Unless you've got a lot of leaves blowing in there, it shouldn't be too big of a deal to keep clean.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I wonder why they didn't fill the pool with some large, glittery blue paper or something, to make it look like water.  For very little money, the interior designer probably could have come up with something really cool to make it look like it was filled with water.  And saved Ryan from having to haul those bikes around.

Didn't Frederick buy a home a few seasons ago in Connecticut ? I recall there was plenty of land around the home.

I think Derek was tired of the cold weather in the North East. I believe that he grew up in South Africa.

• Love 1

Why did Ryan make that big fuss about how hard it was to put the bicycles in the pool?   He put them in the deep end, and should have used the shallow end.   

I hate when they have the phony fights over territory, like Fredrik and Ryan, and the Josh Altman/Fredrik spat on the MDLLA edition.    It doesn't add to the show for me, since I watch for the apartments, and homes.   

I think they must have had stairs at the shallow end of the pool. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2