Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

Million Dollar Listing NY

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I liked how Steve’s Ansonia remodel. It looked really nice but that kitchen is just awful. 

Someone mentioned earlier how the Ansonia used to be a hotel.  I had forgotten that until Steve mentioned it again.  There was a restaurant there, so people could order from there.  It makes sense why there wasn't a full kitchen if people weren't actually cooking very much!  At least they have room to make a proper kitchen.  I loved the layout of the apartment though.  I like defined spaces, and the huge foyer was pretty - a waste of space - but pretty!  I'm sure a design expert could figure out a way to make it into a more usable space, if the buyer wants to.  

34 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I couldn't build up much, if any, sympathy for the rich lady who's moving to Florida.

It doesn't matter how much money one has, moving from somewhere you love can be very difficult.  I understand her pain, and I think it was real.  

36 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Same with Ryan and his schmaltzy "worked his way up" schtick. 

Having watched him work his way up, I don't mind if he's a bit schmaltzy & cheesy at times!    

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

It doesn't matter how much money one has, moving from somewhere you love can be very difficult.

and not trying to get in a fight AT ALL, but some friends of mine moved from Chicago near-in suburbs to FLA for work, and hated it so much that they gave up two good jobs to move back to Chicago. It can be a culture shock.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

and not trying to get in a fight AT ALL, but some friends of mine moved from Chicago near-in suburbs to FLA for work, and hated it so much that they gave up two good jobs to move back to Chicago. It can be a culture shock.

I’m just your ordinary schlub from the Philly area and hoping to sell my house. I’m already stressing out about moving. I’ve been here over 20 years and just packing up the dishes and glasses seems like a pain in the a**. I like the area but want to move somewhere else but it’s freaking me out already. I hear all the time people say they have 4-5 times. I don’t know how people do that?! Maybe, they’re more adventurous than me. 

Watching Ryan’s renovation and his in laws moving makes me wonder about Ryan’s family watching this. I wonder if they care or not. I’m not familiar with his family. I thinkkkkkkk I saw his Mom on the show but I forget and I know he commented something to the affect he wouldn’t want her there. What is the 411 on his family?
 

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I thinkkkkkkk I saw his Mom on the show but I forget and I know he commented something to the affect he wouldn’t want her there. What is the 411 on his family?

As far as I know, they're not estranged, but he said they're the complete opposite of Emilia's family.  Her family is kind of loud and boisterous, and his is rather quiet and subdued.  Ryan was on WWHL and it was brought up about him not having a designated room for his Mom, but as it turns out, she said she doesn't want to live there anyway!

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

and not trying to get in a fight AT ALL, but some friends of mine moved from Chicago near-in suburbs to FLA for work, and hated it so much that they gave up two good jobs to move back to Chicago.

I was born and raised in Fla, but it's a totally different place than it was in the 60's and 70's. It was great back in the day.   I no longer live there, but my family does.  Us true Floridians feel like everybody moved in on us!!  I have found that a lot of the ones who moved there are the ones who aren't so friendly (not everybody, of course).  True Floridians were always really nice.   :)

25 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I hear all the time people say they have 4-5 times. I don’t know how people do that?!

It's easier to leave some places behind more than others!  It can be exciting to discover a new city.  The nitty gritty of it though, make a big to-do list, and if possible, hire movers.  We finally did for this last move and it saved both of our backs!!  I packed it all, but having movers was a huge help for a long distance move.  Organization is key!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

As far as I know, they're not estranged, but he said they're the complete opposite of Emilia's family.  Her family is kind of loud and boisterous, and his is rather quiet and subdued.  Ryan was on WWHL and it was brought up about him not having a designated room for his Mom, but as it turns out, she said she doesn't want to live there anyway!

I was born and raised in Fla, but it's a totally different place than it was in the 60's and 70's. It was great back in the day.   I no longer live there, but my family does.  Us true Floridians feel like everybody moved in on us!!  I have found that a lot of the ones who moved there are the ones who aren't so friendly (not everybody, of course).  True Floridians were always really nice.   :)

It's easier to leave some places behind more than others!  It can be exciting to discover a new city.  The nitty gritty of it though, make a big to-do list, and if possible, hire movers.  We finally did for this last move and it saved both of our backs!!  I packed it all, but having movers was a huge help for a long distance move.  Organization is key!  

Yes. Movers are key. Thanks for the pep talk. LOL!!!

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Yes. Movers are key. Thanks for the pep talk. LOL!!!

You're welcome! Best of luck with your decision! With our last move, I had about 100 boxes (had to count them for the movers), and they fill up quickly!  I bought a variety pack of multi-colored post-it notes (small ones), and as I taped up each box, I color-coded each room and put the note on the front of the box, so everything with the orange note & the word kitchen was easy to see.  The blue notes were for the primary bedroom, and so on and so forth with the rest of the boxes.  Unfortunately, one of the guys who helped us move the boxes into the new house either couldn't read, or had some other issue (I'm not making fun of him,) but the irony was that after all of that work, the poor guy couldn't make heads nor tales out of my system.  :(  At least I could find everything since we had to stack a bunch of them in the dining room. 

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think Ryan's business already has separate sections, I think they have a rental/property management division, and that's been around for a while.    He's also bought several investment properties, and flipped them too.     He's supposed to be worth at least $20 million, and some sources say $30 million, so I don't think going a million over budget on the Brooklyn property will be a problem.  

I like that Fredrik was worried about Ryan launching right now, they all seem rather friendly in real life, and I think it's realistic worrying about how the economy, and real estate market will be in the near future.    Though I have read that even the NYC luxury market is rebounding, and is just about back to pre-lockdown levels. 

I bet the Ansonia kitchen will work just fine for the food delivery lifestyle.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I grew up and lived for 48 years just blocks from both the Ansonia and Tyler’s property. They are actually very close together and I found it interesting that wasn’t even mentioned on an episode that featured both the properties.

When Tyler was driving around, and talking to his assistant and then the client, it was fascinating because he was basically going in circles. It was also highly edited because he’d say one sentence, and then for the next sentence he’d be several blocks away, impossible in traffic.

In the very early years, the Ansonia had a farm on the roof, to supply fresh milk and eggs. Yes, actual cows on the roof!

  • Like 3
  • Useful 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, NYCFree said:

In the very early years, the Ansonia had a farm on the roof, to supply fresh milk and eggs. Yes, actual cows on the roof!

Can I get a Moo!!  That's interesting.  It would be neat to go back in time and see what NYC looked like way back in the day!  I love all of the old buildings because of their unique architecture and charm.  Some of those new buildings that are entirely glass just don't do it for me!

Thanks for all of your insight about what it's like in NYC!  

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I just watched the latest (third) episode of Ryan's renovation show, and the scene I saw was probably early fall last year. They had Emilia and her mother walking around town with the baby, talking about Ryan and her dad painting the baby's room. Neither one was wearing a mask, which I didn't think much about until I noticed that literally everyone else on the street was wearing one. Now I live in the NY metro area, and while I have no idea whether it was an actual LAW to wear a mask all the time in NYC, it was certainly PRACTICE for everyone to. Now I know the whole guidance of outside being safer and all has evolved, but back then??? It was not the practice to go maskless in NY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

it was certainly PRACTICE for everyone to. Now I know the whole guidance of outside being safer and all has evolved, but back then??? It was not the practice to go maskless in NY.

Not everyone.  I worked everyday during lockdown.  Wore my mask on the PATH train, mask off when I got off at 23rd St, 5 block walk to work maskless, mask back on so I could enter my building.  Not everyone wore masks on the street.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/18/2021 at 12:02 PM, ChitChat said:

I can overlook those things if I don't like them, and repainting or taking down outdated wallpaper isn't a big deal to me, but from what I've seen of home renovation shows, a lot of people don't want to have to do those things when they buy a home

This is true but when people are spending gazillions of dollars on a home it's pretty much expected they are going to want to change things. It's the norm. They are seldom happy with the seller's taste. 

It looks like Steve's hair is growing back. Something about the way he moves, walks, and wears his clothes that I think is so sexy. Must be from his modeling training days. I also like the way he keeps his cool when dealing with his clients unlike Fredrik and Ryan who seem to get so agitated and end up yelling and screaming (mostly Fred) out of frustration.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/18/2021 at 7:00 PM, ByaNose said:

I’m not familiar with his family. I thinkkkkkkk I saw his Mom on the show but I forget and I know he commented something to the affect he wouldn’t want her there. What is the 411 on his family?
 

Ryan was on WWHL the other night and said his mom laughed and told him off camera that she doesn't want to live there! He also said his mom and Emelia's mom have become best friends. He  loves all of Emilia's family and doesn't mind them being around. More power to him, I can't stand anybody in my home longer than 3 days. I want to be able to go in my bedroom and watch all the TV reality garbage I record in peace and not feel like I have to sit in the living room entertaining people. I'm such an anti-social weirdo. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Like 15
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

He  loves all of Emilia's family and doesn't mind them being around. More power to him, I can't stand anybody in my home longer than 3 days. I want to be able to go in my bedroom and watch all the TV reality garbage I record in peace and not feel like I have to sit in the living room entertaining people. I'm such an anti-social weirdo

Oh I am with you. When his MIL was talking about wanting to be upstairs on the same floor as him and Emilia, I just cringed. I LOVED his description of her own little suite, where she can come and go as she pleased and they wouldn't know anything about it. I'm sure he was kind of thinking AND VICE VERSA!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think Ryan's business already has separate sections, I think they have a rental/property management division, and that's been around for a while.    He's also bought several investment properties, and flipped them too.     He's supposed to be worth at least $20 million, and some sources say $30 million, so I don't think going a million over budget on the Brooklyn property will be a problem.  

I like that Fredrik was worried about Ryan launching right now, they all seem rather friendly in real life, and I think it's realistic worrying about how the economy, and real estate market will be in the near future.    Though I have read that even the NYC luxury market is rebounding, and is just about back to pre-lockdown levels. 

If he's really sold $4 billion worth of property in his career, he's got to be worth more than that, though I don't know how much of the 3% commission that his realty firm gets from typical sales.

I wonder about him opening his own company though, that's a lot of salaries he's got to cover and apparently no agents from his previous employer joined him?

How does it actually work though, he has a lot of clients, including repeat clients.  Would they keep working with him or will his previous employer fight him legally to keep the clients?

I guess it's not like a law firm where a "rainmaker" brings in clients who stick with him or her if the lawyer moves to different firms.

I wonder if he parted in amicable terms.

Thing that's striking is all the media production people he has.  So selling high-end real estate is about marketing videos and social media, more than ever.  I guess people watch those videos and presentations before they come and view the property?  

So obviously Ryan has a good media presence or at least he enjoys hamming it up.  Tyler seems good too and Steve is probably doing a lot of it.  Fred is also a ham.

But with the real big deals that Fred and Ryan supposedly get, like whole buildings, I guess they don't have to convince the developers with videos but do they take responsibility for producing the videos of a luxury high-rise?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The whole thing with pets and Fred marketing to pet owners because of a big terrace was obviously fake.

Nobody is keeping an alpaca in Manhattan.  They probably rented the animal from a company serving the film/TV industry and you had all these young prospective owners bringing their pets to scope out a $7 million property.

Looked like casting.

The Ansonia looked good but you had people with these dumb face shields, all for TV so their faces could be filmed.  One of the appeals must be the location, just a couple of blocks from Central Park?  It has a unique floor plan but some of these prospective buyers wanted to knock down walls and so forth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, aghst said:

The Ansonia looked good but you had people with these dumb face shields, all for TV so their faces could be filmed.

Oh right! That makes sense. Totally stupid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, aghst said:

 It has a unique floor plan but some of these prospective buyers wanted to knock down walls and so forth.

Someone is going to ruin a that lovely history. I hope that a year from now it doesn't look like every other open concept w/g shaker. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The rules on altering floor plans, and everything else with construction are very tough to wade through.    Working with condo or coop boards can be a long process.   THere are a lot of restrictions on work hours, noise, days of the week you can work.    It can be an issue when you are moving things around in a multistory building too.       

That's why it was such a huge deal when Ryan (or maybe Steve) was selling a two story unit, but it needed an elevator.   I don't ever remember how that worked out either.     

I think Ryan's family is rather local to NYC, but Emilia's family spends a lot of time in Greece, so when they visit it will be long term. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Question: KJ said that the brushed nickel fixtures and dark gray tile flooring in Frederik's listing were tired and dated. I know the matte black fixtures and brass are what's currently popular (although I think even at that price point, many buyers won't care that much as the nickel is neutral), but what's dated about the dark gray flooring? Just curious what's considered "in" now. Is it still the hand painted tiles that are in? I like that look, but think I would get tired of it after a few years. Or, is it marble? Just curious as KJ was kind of making a big deal about, and I'm wanting to redo my kitchen and bathroom floors next year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I guess the finishes weren't shiny.  Or other properties in that price range get the latest fixtures and tiles.

Kind of wasteful to trash all that stuff after just 10 years abut maybe not trendy enough to command the highest prices.

When high end properties were selling well and prices kept going up, I'm sure the designers who make these fixtures and tiles and so on found ways to make more expensive products.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, aghst said:

The whole thing with pets and Fred marketing to pet owners because of a big terrace was obviously fake.

Nobody is keeping an alpaca in Manhattan.  They probably rented the animal from a company serving the film/TV industry and you had all these young prospective owners bringing their pets to scope out a $7 million property.

Looked like casting.

The Ansonia looked good but you had people with these dumb face shields, all for TV so their faces could be filmed.  One of the appeals must be the location, just a couple of blocks from Central Park?  It has a unique floor plan but some of these prospective buyers wanted to knock down walls and so forth.

The Ansonia is located at 72nd Street and Broadway, kind of the heart of the neighborhood of the “Upper West Side.” It is two long blocks from Central Park (and the Dakota where John Lennon lived and was killed) and two short blocks from the start of Riverside Park and the adjacent Hudson River. It’s also about six short blocks north of Lincoln Center and five blocks south of the American Museum of Natural History. Although most who buy there will probably send their kids to private school, the local public elementary school is so good that celebrities and the wealthy also send their kids. Being zoned for the school is actually listed as a feature for the real estate listings in the neighborhood.

 

1 hour ago, Book Junkie said:

Question: KJ said that the brushed nickel fixtures and dark gray tile flooring in Frederik's listing were tired and dated. I know the matte black fixtures and brass are what's currently popular (although I think even at that price point, many buyers won't care that much as the nickel is neutral), but what's dated about the dark gray flooring? Just curious what's considered "in" now. Is it still the hand painted tiles that are in? I like that look, but think I would get tired of it after a few years. Or, is it marble? Just curious as KJ was kind of making a big deal about, and I'm wanting to redo my kitchen and bathroom floors next year.

I think that some of the fixtures get very identified as hyper trendy and therefore very specifically tied to a time period. If they went for a more classic look, it wouldn’t look so connected to a fad. Like regular jeans are classic, but bell bottoms are 1970s (and periodic revivals). 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

I think that some of the fixtures get very identified as hyper trendy and therefore very specifically tied to a time period. If they went for a more classic look, it wouldn’t look so connected to a fad. Like regular jeans are classic, but bell bottoms are 1970s (and periodic revivals). 

I wonder if you asked 10 "designers" what a classic kitchen or bathroom looked like would you get 10 different answers. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2021 at 3:30 PM, aghst said:

Nobody is keeping an alpaca in Manhattan

That was sooooo ridiculous! As if any co-op or condo board would approve such silliness. These fake scenario's are what turns me off to Ryan and Fredrik. Like so many of us have already pointed out, we don't need to see the fake open houses and the stupid costumes, diving into pools, dressing in flippers and capes. The real estate porn and the difficult buyers/sellers are enough to keep interest. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

35 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

As if any co-op or condo board would approve such silliness.

and the alpaca doesn't do stairs, right? So in a fire...... ????

 

NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, dleighg said:

and the alpaca doesn't do stairs, right? So in a fire...... ????

 

NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE.

Yes it does. The restaurant down the street sells roast alpaca.  

  • Laugh 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Sounds like typical battling parents bullshit to me.  I caught his new Netflix show, Amazing Vacation Rentals over the weekend.  It's not bad.

I don’t know much about the details.  Lots of accusations can be made during a custody battle, but I do recall being worried over Luis’s stability while he was on the show.  He seemed to address that when he walked away from the show though.  I hope they work it out.  
 

Is Luis back in the US?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Last time I heard Luis was moving to Puerto Rico, to be near the baby, and his family.    I'm guessing with the vacation rental show he's traveling quite a bit.    I hope he can get through this custody situation, and there's a way to have the best situation for the baby. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I found this clip that refreshed my memory. It shows his decision to leave NYC, his disappointment with Paris and his sadness when he returns to NYC.  He admits that he struggles with depression.  I hope he’s getting help.  
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2021 at 8:24 PM, Book Junkie said:

Just curious what's considered "in" now.

I can't keep up with the current trends!  Seems to me that the color gray is still in.  I see a lot of that in home renovation shows.  If remodeling, I say do what makes you happy, unless you're going to sell within a few years, then you might want to stick with things more on trend.  ;)   

On 6/20/2021 at 3:58 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think Ryan's family is rather local to NYC, but Emilia's family spends a lot of time in Greece, so when they visit it will be long term. 

I remember when Ryan bought Emilia a home in Greece to be closer to her family.  I wonder if they still have it.  

On 6/19/2021 at 8:57 PM, bichonblitz said:

More power to him, I can't stand anybody in my home longer than 3 days

Amen to that!  It took me awhile to figure that out whenever we went to visit my parents, who were out-of-state from us.  Looking back on it, 3 days max was best for everybody involved!  

On 6/20/2021 at 4:44 AM, dleighg said:

When his MIL was talking about wanting to be upstairs on the same floor as him and Emilia, I just cringed.

Me too.  I think she'd move into their bedroom if they'd let her!  Just kidding, but she does seem to be a little overbearing.  Emilia even made a comment to Ryan about how she was when she was growing up.  What little she said, I took it as her Mom thinking she knows best about everything.  She's going to need to give Ryan & Emilia some space to be parents, but who knows, they might just like having a built-in babysitter.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

She's going to need to give Ryan & Emilia some space to be parents, but who knows, they might just like having a built-in babysitter. 

As a mom in dual working couple with kids, with no grandparents nearby, I certainly would have loved it. And if my mother would be happy in a full basement apartment (with kitchen!) then I'd take that trade, despite my need for privacy. But honestly, not an in-law!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2021 at 9:24 PM, Book Junkie said:

Question: KJ said that the brushed nickel fixtures and dark gray tile flooring in Frederik's listing were tired and dated. I know the matte black fixtures and brass are what's currently popular (although I think even at that price point, many buyers won't care that much as the nickel is neutral), but what's dated about the dark gray flooring? Just curious what's considered "in" now. Is it still the hand painted tiles that are in? I like that look, but think I would get tired of it after a few years. Or, is it marble? Just curious as KJ was kind of making a big deal about, and I'm wanting to redo my kitchen and bathroom floors next year.

I’d just go with what you like.  Perhaps, get some samples and lay on the floor to see how they look in the room.  I regret not going with gray flooring last year, which was my original choice.  At the last minute, I changed my mind. Big mistake.    It’s too late now and the cost is too great to have them redone.  I keep hoping I’ll get over it. 😩 I made a mistake over a light fixture too, but I can change that out pretty easily.  I went with bright white trim and a very light slight gray on the walls and it’s perfect. I looked at hundreds of color samples and even toured some high end houses to get ideas.  It was worth it.   I’m no t sure why they said those floors are dated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It’s too late now and the cost is too great to have them redone.  I keep hoping I’ll get over it.

That's the difficult thing with stuff like flooring, etc.  We have those small samples to look at and take home, but we just never know how it'll look once the whole thing is done!  I'm sure it looks great!  We had to replace engineered hardwood flooring and we went with the vinyl planks.  I had to closely match what was already on the staircase (couldn't change it out), and had to go with something a little darker than I wanted.  I put an 8x10 area rug in the living room to lighten it up in there.  Maybe you could add some accents to draw your eye to, rather than the floor.  Again, I'd bet it looks good to everybody else!  We can be hard on ourselves about these decisions!  

59 minutes ago, dleighg said:

As a mom in dual working couple with kids, with no grandparents nearby, I certainly would have loved it.

I understand!  We lived far away from family too, and sometimes just a little bit of help would've been nice!  I just hope that Emilia's Mom won't overstep her bounds though.  From what Emilia said, it sounded like whatever her Mom says goes, then that's the way it is!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Oh what a shock a mentally unstable guy who hasn’t gotten help for his problems and who had a baby with some random to make himself feel better is having issues with it all now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Wait — is that Dorinda (ex) from RHONYC?????  😳.  Oh boy.  Trying to bring her back into the fold.  She seems stable in this episode.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Wait — is that Dorinda (ex) from RHONYC?????  😳.  Oh boy.  Trying to bring her back into the fold.  She seems stable in this episode.

I always heard about on RHONYC but never watched and didn’t know or care about her backstory. She seemed nice and knowledgeable about the area. I like Steve the most and he seemed happy to see her and get her opinion.

So, when did Kristen become KJ and yet everyone still calls her Kristen?! Anyway, I like her and her hectic life. The offer she was given was rather low but I think the rich people were trying to get the Covid-19 discount while they could. It will be interesting to see if she lands the buyer since she said she’s heard zilch from no one else. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't realize that the farm Steve was selling was in the Berskshires.  He just kept saying 2 hours from NYC.  Dorinda is the Lady of the Manor in the Berkshires, so it actually made sense to have her see the property to help get the word out.  

in regard to Ryan's show - I was a little sad that it ended. I enjoy seeing them and the extended family.  Emily dropped a hit at the end that maybe they can restore their home in Greece - perhaps thats our next show.  

I'm sorry, but that "penthouse" KJ was selling is just awful.  5 story walk up? The way outdoor space is "decorated"  is cheesy AF. I hope the new owners turn it into the beautiful oasis it deserves to be, not some low grade AstroTurf and Wayfair furniture.  

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I didn't realize that the farm Steve was selling was in the Berskshires.  He just kept saying 2 hours from NYC.  Dorinda is the Lady of the Manor in the Berkshires, so it actually made sense to have her see the property to help get the word out.  

in regard to Ryan's show - I was a little sad that it ended. I enjoy seeing them and the extended family.  Emily dropped a hit at the end that maybe they can restore their home in Greece - perhaps thats our next show.  

I'm sorry, but that "penthouse" KJ was selling is just awful.  5 story walk up? The way outdoor space is "decorated"  is cheesy AF. I hope the new owners turn it into the beautiful oasis it deserves to be, not some low grade AstroTurf and Wayfair furniture.  

The angled sink in the bathroom would have made me say no. I didn't realize it was a walk up. That would be it for me. Never would have gone to see it.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I agree, KJ's listing was hideous.  In a competitive, and buyer's market I wouldn't even look at a fifth floor walkup, and that sink was horrible.  (Not that I could afford to ever live in NYC). 

I love Tyler's redo on the apartment, and the seller was adorable.   Tyler seems to have calmed down with the remarks, and seems to have matured.  

Ryan's idea of the Lambourghini to ferry customers around was genius.     I love the finished townhouse too.   I understand they only moved in during April.   

Steve's property is the Berkshires was OK, and I hope it gets a buyer who will love it.    

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love Tyler's redo on the apartment, and the seller was adorable. 

I loved her until..... she introduced the idea of the psychic. As a scientist, I hate that sort of thing. Anyway, the brokers (seemed) to enjoy it. Was surprised so many people on this episode were comfortable going maskless inside. I guess I was just hyper-cautious at that period in time.

And are we sure Steve's listing was in "the Berkshires"? Because he kept calling it "upstate" and I've never heard that term used for anywhere other than in NY. And he said "two hours outside the city." Now I live about an hour DUE NORTH of NYC, and to get to the Berkshires from my house (the same way he was driving-- up the Taconic) is well over two hours. (Took my kids to summer camp there every summer for years which is how I know) I don't see there's any way you can get from NYC to the Berkshires in less than three hours if not more. 

ETA: The farm is in Ancramdale NY, straight up the Taconic, and ahem, maybe you could get there in under two hours if you left NYC at midnight LOL.

https://www.corcoran.com/hudson-valley-real-estate/for-sale/ancramdale/349-wiltsie-bridge-road-ancramdale-ny-12503/52771757

They never showed how Ryan got his buyers back home. I guess instead of in the Lambo, Bravo sends them home in a Hyundai.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I loved the land of that farm house, but I would do a complete gut, especially to those white floors, put hardwood down and add some more rustic touches, that of course after I win the mega millions. KJ's apartment would have  been a tough sell, but if you were single and could use the nursery as an office, it may work. Can't imagine a young family toting up strollers and toddlers. The astro turf cheapened it. At least I got to see "make it nice" Dorinda, maybe trying to get her apple back.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I always heard about on RHONYC but never watched and didn’t know or care about her backstory. She seemed nice and knowledgeable about the area.

Here's Dorinda in a nutshell:  She went from a zany, bubbly, pithy, funny woman to a mean, condescending, blathering, drunken jerk.  The latter is why she is no longer on the RHONYC.  The Dorinda we saw with Steve is the one I like!  I didn't realize that she's so popular in the Berkshires!  Socialite, indeed!

6 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

 The way outdoor space is "decorated"  is cheesy AF. I hope the new owners turn it into the beautiful oasis it deserves to be, not some low grade AstroTurf and Wayfair furniture.  

I agree.  The outdoor space was hideous, especially having to look at all of the A/C units up there.  That would be noisy too.

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love Tyler's redo on the apartment, and the seller was adorable. 

The sleeker look was good.  That window in the bedroom that looked into the living room wasn't very well thought out.  Yeah, they wanted some light, but no.  Just no.  The sofa in the living room was pretty, but those low backs don't look comfortable at all.  That did help to showcase the windows though.  Mission accomplished in that respect.

Overall I liked Ryan and Emilia's townhouse.  There were a few design choices that I didn't care for.    I'm sure it was difficult for them to choose everything from a sample.  Same with the furniture.  They were lucky to have placed their order for the furniture when they did.  People buying furniture this time last year had a very long waiting time (in most cases).  Furniture manufacturers had been shut down.  I heard that there were wait times of 6-9 months for a sofa, etc.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

That window in the bedroom that looked into the living room wasn't very well thought out.  Yeah, they wanted some light, but no.  Just no. 

My family of four stayed in an airport hotel that had a window from the bedroom into the bathroom, right into the shower/tub area. Weird. Fortunately there was a curtain!

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ref. question upthread about Ryan affording his staff.  Staff are probably paid salary, but in my state (NC) most realty firms operate by the brokers paying the firm to work under them. They often pay a flat fee to use the name, MLS access, etc, PLUS a percentage of the broker’s commission.  Some will do a flat fee.  So, you often have overhead and don’t get paid unless you sell and get commissions.  

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Kristen’s “penthouse” would be such a nightmare to me, especially with young kids!

Tyler has been growing on me this season. When one lady asked about being on “a bus line,” I had to laugh. It’s actually on the corner of two busy streets with multiple bus lines, as well as a subway stop directly outside the door. Most side streets (East-West) running, are smaller and no public transportation. However, every five-ten blocks one of the side streets is as wide as an Avenue. Tyler’s building was at the corner of one such intersection. I would bet the windows are fairly soundproofed though.

I don’t think Dorinda was there for her expertise and fame, but rather part of the Bravo Family tie-ins; like having Kelly Bensimmon on earlier in the season.

Edited by NYCFree
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

 

 

On 5/24/2021 at 8:20 PM, ChitChat said:

Yeah, something seems a bit off.  You look at Ryan and his wife, and he's head over heels in love with her.  You can see their chemistry whenever they're together.  Same thing with Fredrik and Derek.  I follow him on Instagram - mostly for the pictures of the twins - and they seem so happy and in love.   It's kind like Steve is playing the role of a husband.  His love for his daughter is pretty evident, but I'm not so sure about his relationship with his wife. 

 

I think Ryan's wife is head over heels in love with his bank account.

 

On 6/8/2021 at 1:41 AM, MsTree said:

I enjoy Ryan a lot...and now with Emilia & family, even more enjoyable.

I find that Emilia make me like Ryan less.  And don't like the daughter AT ALL.  

 

On 6/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, dleighg said:

I just watched the latest (third) episode of Ryan's renovation show, and the scene I saw was probably early fall last year. They had Emilia and her mother walking around town with the baby, talking about Ryan and her dad painting the baby's room. Neither one was wearing a mask, which I didn't think much about until I noticed that literally everyone else on the street was wearing one. Now I live in the NY metro area, and while I have no idea whether it was an actual LAW to wear a mask all the time in NYC, it was certainly PRACTICE for everyone to. Now I know the whole guidance of outside being safer and all has evolved, but back then??? It was not the practice to go maskless in NY.

Outside??  People were wearing masks outside?  I am in Chicago suburb and if I saw someone wearing a mask outside I would have laughed at them, even when everyone was wearing them inside, no one was wearing them outside.

 

9 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

 

I'm sorry, but that "penthouse" KJ was selling is just awful.  5 story walk up? The way outdoor space is "decorated"  is cheesy AF. I hope the new owners turn it into the beautiful oasis it deserves to be, not some low grade AstroTurf and Wayfair furniture.  

It was really ugly, that astro-turf that was rising up in places.  That would have put me off immediately.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Here's Dorinda in a nutshell:  She went from a zany, bubbly, pithy, funny woman to a mean, condescending, blathering, drunken jerk.  The latter is why she is no longer on the RHONYC.  The Dorinda we saw with Steve is the one I like!  I didn't realize that she's so popular in the Berkshires!  Socialite, indeed!

I agree.  The outdoor space was hideous, especially having to look at all of the A/C units up there.  That would be noisy too.

The sleeker look was good.  That window in the bedroom that looked into the living room wasn't very well thought out.  Yeah, they wanted some light, but no.  Just no.  The sofa in the living room was pretty, but those low backs don't look comfortable at all.  That did help to showcase the windows though.  Mission accomplished in that respect.

Overall I liked Ryan and Emilia's townhouse.  There were a few design choices that I didn't care for.    I'm sure it was difficult for them to choose everything from a sample.  Same with the furniture.  They were lucky to have placed their order for the furniture when they did.  People buying furniture this time last year had a very long waiting time (in most cases).  Furniture manufacturers had been shut down.  I heard that there were wait times of 6-9 months for a sofa, etc.  

I don’t know how rich Tyler’s clients were but they seemed like the most normal family. I don’t know what I was expecting. I’m so used to everything being so OTT that I’m shocked when I see normal. The staging looked good but I’m not sure what the $500,000 went towards. I could go to HomeGoods and get an oversized painting like that staging warehouse had. LOL!!!!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size