Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

Million Dollar Listing LA

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I cringed when Altman asked that guy to play his music. That can be VERY dangerous! And when did David start calling James "Jim"? It seems like Jim is a purely American thing for a "James".

And kind of surprised that Flagg really even wants to have cold call buyers as opposed to sellers. My impression is that buyers are a whole lot more work than sellers for the $$ and that it's usually more of an entry-level real-estate gig, unless it's someone who's a previous client.

I think they were playing around with each other. "Jim" responded right back with "Dave"  

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I would be glad if they totally abandoned the fake fighting.  They can demonstrate the competition in more reasonable and realistic ways. imo.  It appeals to me more, anyway.  I can't help but wonder how they're doing with covid.  There are ways to work around it. I wonder how much of that we will eventually see. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I would be glad if they totally abandoned the fake fighting.  They can demonstrate the competition in more reasonable and realistic ways. imo.  It appeals to me more, anyway.  I can't help but wonder how they're doing with covid.  There are ways to work around it. I wonder how much of that we will eventually see. 

Me too. I like Fredrik, but am not looking forward to this drama.

• Like 4

The Brits need to read up on their Shakespeare, “me thinks thou dost protest too much.” I’m glad they sold the house, but they seemed WAY too interested in rubbing it in Tracy’s face. I doubt she even cares. 

I’ll never understand the LA scene. None of the people buying or selling these houses ever seem all that bright or hardworking yet they have $1-10M just laying around to buy houses. 

• Like 6
  • Laugh 4

6 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

Me too. I like Fredrik, but am not looking forward to this drama.

I’ve started to wonder if he has some kind of need to create drama.  I finally had my fill of that with Jeff Lewis. Eventually, it’s time to grow up and stop making an asp out of yourself. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dleighg said:

And when did David start calling James "Jim"? It seems like Jim is a purely American thing for a "James".

You've obviously never read the All Creatures Great and Small books... 

4 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

I’ll never understand the LA scene. None of the people buying or selling these houses ever seem all that bright or hardworking yet they have $1-10M just laying around to buy houses. 

Just like all too many they either inherited it or got it illegally.

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve started to wonder if he has some kind of need to create drama.  I finally had my fill of that with Jeff Lewis. Eventually, it’s time to grow up and stop making an asp out of yourself. 

I genuinely do like Fredrik, but drama seems to kind of follow him and after a while, you get bored with it.

• Like 1

David has called Janes Jim forever it’s nothing new. Obviously they are exactly what Tracy says because they are protesting too much. They annoy me.

The guy is obviously playing his music hoping his dumb band gets discovered lol.

I am actually not minding Josh Altman this season and I feel like him and his bro were doing a good job.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KHenry14 said:

I gotta call BS on Altman singing that song. No way he made that up on the spot. It's not like he's the Real Estate version of Wayne Brady. 

Oh, I definitely got the impression that song was written by someone else and that they all had practiced prior to the performance.  At one point Josh said Altman brothers and I thought he said Allman Brothers......lol....sort of amusing. 

12 hours ago, Marley said:

David has called Janes Jim forever it’s nothing new. Obviously they are exactly what Tracy says because they are protesting too much. They annoy me.

The guy is obviously playing his music hoping his dumb band gets discovered lol.

I am actually not minding Josh Altman this season and I feel like him and his bro were doing a good job.

The guy had  on the same ridiculous shirt he had on when he first met Josh.  I think that was staged and all filmed in one day, but the homeowner never got the memo from wardrobe to change his Versace/Gucci shirt.  He had on Gucci flips, so the shirt was probably Gucci too.  LOL  

• Like 4

On 6/30/2020 at 11:26 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

That band scene with the Altman Bro’s was very entertaining.

Loved it when Josh said he was channeling his inner "Steve Perry" from Journey. Then they showed a pic of Steve in his prime. Nice touch! I'm a huge SP fan girl!! 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Like 1

Like others have posted, the show is so much better without the fake fighting. Let them show what most of the viewers are here for which is showing homes and being somewhat of a behind the scenes look at the world of high end real estate agents.

I am on a Bravo "viewing panel" and I generally leave a plea to end the stop fights so perhaps enough people like me persuaded the producers to change the tone of the show and focus on the real estate.

It's obviously somewhat still faked - Heather the buyer was not just a normal cold caller and the Trousdale guy was selected because of the real estate and his personality. No suspense that Altman was going to get the job - that guy would have paid a million dollars just to be on the show playing his music :-). 

I didn't mind because the Trousdale house was exceptional. Renovated by people with money and taste and the willingness to restore rather than gut. The Pasadena home really needed that kind of gut renovation - hopefully done by somebody with taste so that it doesn't turn into the generic boring flip - white Shaker cabinets; quartz waterfall island; spa-look bathrooms. However that house really was in sad shape - fluorescent kitchen and bath lighting; formica cabinets; electric coil range; poor layout plus only two bedrooms. That would be a complete negative since that neighborhood seemed family and three bedrooms is minimum for a family. Seemed as if it was an odd layout since the square footage was about 2500 feet which is more than ample for three bedrooms.

And my last WTF was deliberately putting carpet in the bathroom. That was really being completely clear that the place was meant to be gutted as there was no attempt to do anything that might it even appear to be move in ready. I have no idea what they paid for the new stuff and the staging but in my opinion, the money was completely wasted. The market for that home was either a developer or someone who was sophisticated enough to want to deal with a down to the studs renovation. And those kinds of buyers don't give a rat's ass about staging but just the bones, location and how much it will cost to get it up to snuff. The easiest sells are "handyman's specials" because you aren't paying for ANY half assed fixes like cheap carpeting or move-in ready. The first house that Flagg took Heather to showed a poor renovation as the changes didn't conform to the look of the home itself and were so taste specific like a robin's egg blue paint exterior.

Such a contrast with the flipper who did the Craftsmen in Sunset Square and just removed anything that was true to the era - he didn't even attempt to use new stuff that was Craftsmen in tone except for the stuff that he was required to do. I just finished a remodel - and I did a kitchen that was evocative of Craftsmen with quarter sawn white oak kitchen cabinets. 

• Like 6

On 6/25/2020 at 11:26 PM, amarante said:

If you like the character of a neighborhood, living in an HPOZ zone is very desirable. You won’t have a horribly out of character McMansion built on your block. The area is very charming and people deliberately choose to live there. 

This particular guy was an idiot in terms of his choices. The realtors made it appear as if the entire location was problematic whereas it was the location of his lot which was less desirable than homes more in the middle and north of Hollywood. 

He then made expensive aesthetic choices which would be completely unappealing to a lot of people who want a Craftsman home. And aside from that the layout was weird with that useless hallway and the walnut slats which maybe would work in a mid century home. 

I thought he absolutely ruined the aesthetic of that house.  He deserved to lose his shirt on that horrid renovation. Overdone and out of charactor with the exterior.    

• Like 6