Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing LA - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Agreed that the Venice work/living space was ridiculous because it was neither fish nor fowl. 

It seemed like it was attempting to adopt NYC zoning to a completely different real estate market. Soho - before it became the stomping ground of the obscenely wealthy - was actually specifically zoned to enable artists to legally live in what were commercial spaces that had been abandoned because technically living in a commercially zoned "loft" was not legal - and then Soho became a trendier area as non-artists followed artists and then became so trendy that it became a place for only the wealthy and there was spill over to Tribeca etc.

I have no idea what the actual value of the property was except that Abbott Kinney Boulevard is the uber hip main drag of Venice and is filled with very expensive restaurants and stores. So it might be worth the money as a commercial establishment with a private retreat on an upper level. But whoever renovated it wasn't thinking rationally in terms of how they renovated the space. But whoever did it has plenty of money to spare I would assume so taking a paper loss is not going to be of any significance.

Rents would be extremely high but I don't know the economics enough of commercial space to know if a likely tenant - e.g. gallery or high end clothing or furniture/home store could pay enough rent to warrant even a $12,000,0000 purchase price. I am basing that on $6 million for original purchase and what I think was $6,000,000 in renovations. At any rate, I would think that the $6,000,000 in renovations could not possibly be recouped as it was so use and taste specific.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, amarante said:

Agreed that the Venice work/living space was ridiculous because it was neither fish nor fowl. 

It seemed like it was attempting to adopt NYC zoning to a completely different real estate market. Soho - before it became the stomping ground of the obscenely wealthy - was actually specifically zoned to enable artists to legally live in what were commercial spaces that had been abandoned because technically living in a commercially zoned "loft" was not legal - and then Soho became a trendier area as non-artists followed artists and then became so trendy that it became a place for only the wealthy and there was spill over to Tribeca etc.

I have no idea what the actual value of the property was except that Abbott Kinney Boulevard is the uber hip main drag of Venice and is filled with very expensive restaurants and stores. So it might be worth the money as a commercial establishment with a private retreat on an upper level. But whoever renovated it wasn't thinking rationally in terms of how they renovated the space. But whoever did it has plenty of money to spare I would assume so taking a paper loss is not going to be of any significance.

Rents would be extremely high but I don't know the economics enough of commercial space to know if a likely tenant - e.g. gallery or high end clothing or furniture/home store could pay enough rent to warrant even a $12,000,0000 purchase price. I am basing that on $6 million for original purchase and what I think was $6,000,000 in renovations. At any rate, I would think that the $6,000,000 in renovations could not possibly be recouped as it was so use and taste specific.

I visited Venice Beach about 18 years ago when I was in the area for work. It didn't seem to be an upscale area compared to Beverly Hills . I liked the 3rd street Promenade mall which is close by.

The $6 million purchase price is realistic, but I am surprised that the renovations would cost another $6 million.

• Useful 2
On 11/14/2021 at 8:45 PM, oakville said:

I visited Venice Beach about 18 years ago when I was in the area for work. It didn't seem to be an upscale area compared to Beverly Hills . I liked the 3rd street Promenade mall which is close by.

The $6 million purchase price is realistic, but I am surprised that the renovations would cost another $6 million.

It is an expensive location because it is a beach community. However it doesn't compare in real estate value to Beverly Hills although there are homes in Venice which are just as expensive as homes in Beverly Hills.

Venice is younger and hipper so it attracts that kind of person. Like Soho/Tribeca versus the Upper East Side in New York.

And there is no comparison between what Venice became in the past years and what is was like 18 years ago when you initially visited. During that period it gentrified quite a bit but is now a bit problematic because of the homeless problems.

Venice is having issues because of the severe problems of homeless who have essentially overrun the area. Many people don't want to live there because of the issues.

Also Beverly Hills is a separate city and Venice is part of Los Angeles. The Beverly Hills school system is obviously better than Los Angeles and compares with the highest quality suburban districts like Scarsdale in New York. Of course that is irrelevant to the richest people but if you are an upper class professional, the cost of a private school versus an excellent free public school is significant. FWIW, Beverly Hills Post Office is not part of the Beverly Hills school system. ETA For two kids, the cost of sending from from K through high school at a private school could be $1,300,000 or so  which offsets the premium price for a Beverly Hills home to some extent  

There is less expensive housing in Beverly Hills south of Wilshire and east - apartment buildings and modest homes which are desirable for people who want the ability to send their kids to Beverly Hills schools. Beverly Hills was actually deliberately planned and the housing south of Wilshire was supposed to house the workers - the area between Santa Monica Boulevard and Sunset was supposed to house the professionals (doctors and lawyers) and the housing in that stretch got nicer as it moved north. North of Sunset but not high in the hills was for the most wealthy.

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1

Fredrik and Josh Altman talking in the car is so funny.  At least I now know why Altman loves Orange so much, he went to Syracuse.   This is the house with the orange kitchen, in Beverly Park.   

The listing that James and David have is amazing.    Mauricio the builder certainly builds a beautiful house. It's modern, but not just a big white box.  David's comments about James calling finishes the wrong name is funny.   $29,995,000 is the price. 

I love seeing Doris Day's old house that Flagg was showing.     However, couldn't a creative person redo the floor plan, instead of bulldozing the house? 

I thought it was hysterical when Altman was talking on his phone with his kid attached to his arm. 

Jeff Lewis is at Flagg's party.  And Melissa Rivers, and Tori Spelling, Bruce Vilanch, and the dog that is related to Tracy's dog is there. 

(Further down, Heatherchandler says dog isn't Tracy's dog, but related, and from the same breeder.   I bet when Bobby says the first choice dog didn't work out, it was probably at a meet-and-greet at the breeder's, so I bet they didn't bring the dog home, just decided the energy level wasn't right, or there wasn't an emotional connection).  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Jeff Lewis at Flagg's party.  And Melissa Rivers, and Tori Spelling, Bruce Velange (?) and Tracy's dog is there too. 

I want a seat at Josh's table. That dinner party was so elegant, but because it's being hosted by Josh it seemed like a lot of fun as well.

• Love 11

I know there are LA folks in this thread. I have a question, and hope it doesn't seem stupid.

I would think that oceanfront property would be where everyone would want to be, yet the brokers are talking about hot properties in the Bird Streets, etc., which are nowhere near the Pacific Ocean. Why are those streets considered prime? Proximity to places, even if far from the ocean? 

I would want to live near the ocean, if I had that kind of money and moved to LA.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Surrealist said:

rokers are talking about hot properties in the Bird Streets, etc., which are nowhere near the Pacific Ocean. Why are those streets considered prime? Proximity to places, even if far from the ocean? 

I'm curious about this too - I'm guessing it's because of proximity to... probably everything hip. On camera, the bird streets just look effin' awful to me: a potpurri of hideous architecture haphazardly crammed together,  telephone wires, and non-stop construction. I don't need to be near a beach, but that is NOT a neighbourhood I'd be shopping in if I had megabucks - I don't care how prestigious it's supposed to be. What I have seen so far looks ramshackle and ugly.

I guess that architect's home has ultra high-end finishes, but it's not my fantasy at all. All I could think about was how many lovely inviting homes I could buy for the cost of one mega-mansion that looks like a dressed up airplane hangar. The rich are definitely different alright.

Josh's dinner parties look like good weird fun. I wonder how he's managed to obtain all the recipes from long defunct LA restaurants that I remember hearing about as a kid (Chasen's!) - I LOVE that kind of stuff. Still have no clue who his Entertainment tonight friend is.

Edited by Cheezwiz
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

a potpurri of hideous architecture haphazardly crammed together,  telephone wires, and non-stop construction.

If I'm spending millions of dollars on a house, the reasons you listed are why I wouldn't want to.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

I'm curious about this too - I'm guessing it's because of proximity to... probably everything hip. On camera, the bird streets just look effin' awful to me: a potpurri of hideous architecture haphazardly crammed together,  telephone wires, and non-stop construction. I don't need to be near a beach, but that is NOT a neighbourhood I'd be shopping in if I had megabucks - I don't care how prestigious it's supposed to be. What I have seen so far looks ramshackle and ugly.

I guess that architect's home has ultra high-end finishes, but it's not my fantasy at all. All I could think about was how many lovely inviting homes I could buy for the cost of one mega-mansion that looks like a dressed up airplane hangar. The rich are definitely different alright.

Josh's dinner parties look like good weird fun. I wonder how he's managed to obtain all the recipes from long defunct LA restaurants that I remember hearing about as a kid (Chasen's!) - I LOVE that kind of stuff. Still have no clue who his Entertainment tonight friend is.

Is it actually prestigious or is it just popular? My meaning is, I don’t know anything about these neighborhoods, except the realtors always talk up the bird streets and there seems to be a lot of construction there. My assumption was that realtors like the bird streets because there’s actually inventory there. Seems like most other areas only have one house pop up from time to time (that needs renovation). 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Is it actually prestigious or is it just popular? My meaning is, I don’t know anything about these neighborhoods, except the realtors always talk up the bird streets and there seems to be a lot of construction there. My assumption was that realtors like the bird streets because there’s actually inventory there. Seems like most other areas only have one house pop up from time to time (that needs renovation). 

Supposedly, it is the location close to Sunset and the views that make these streets desireable.  And right now there is a lot of buying and tearing down of older properties

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Didn’t really like David and James’s listing. It was nice but felt more like a day spa than a home. I guess if you’re on vacation that’s ok just didn’t seem warm and cozy. 

Carley acted like a spoiled child who’s never been told, “No.” If you really want/need something then pay what is reasonable. The seller doesn’t care what your husband’s budget is, or what you think is reasonable profit for what he paid for it. I highly doubt she’ll be willing to sell her house at a discount. 

The Russian seemed stupid. Refusing to negotiate isn’t a sign of strength, it’s a sign you’re foolish and don’t understand how markets work. People will just move on to the next property. 

Flagg’s dinner party… wow. There are certain people for whom a little plastic surgery isn’t bad, then there are people who look better if they just age naturally. Plastic surgeons will never decline business, but there should be some limits on letting people pay for plastic surgery because you’re not going to look better. 

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Flagg’s dinner party… wow. There are certain people for whom a little plastic surgery isn’t bad, then there are people who look better if they just age naturally. Plastic surgeons will never decline business, but there should be some limits on letting people pay for plastic surgery because you’re not going to look better. 

OMG. Thank you for saying this because most of his guests' appearances made me cringe. I'm all for people getting plastic surgery to correct something (crooked nose, weak chin, etc.), but there are definitely lines no one should ever cross.

Do ethical plastic surgeons exist who are willing to tell their clients if they take off any more of the person's nose, they won't have a nose?

I would kind of expect Flagg to have more AList friends. I know some are older folks who've been around the scene for years, but their best days have been behind them. I know he prefers the company or older folks, but at any rate, it was an interesting collection of people.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

OMG. Thank you for saying this because most of his guests' appearances made me cringe. I'm all for people getting plastic surgery to correct something (crooked nose, weak chin, etc.), but there are definitely lines no one should ever cross.

Do ethical plastic surgeons exist who are willing to tell their clients if they take off any more of the person's nose, they won't have a nose?

I would kind of expect Flagg to have more AList friends. I know some are older folks who've been around the scene for years, but their best days have been behind them. I know he prefers the company or older folks, but at any rate, it was an interesting collection of people.

I think it was on an episode of MTV True Life that they followed a young girl who wanted a boob job or something. The doctor removed her gown, marked up where the implants would go, and then immediately starting marking other parts of her body that “needed fixing”. She told him thanks but she could just run a few miles on the treadmill to tighten things up, at which point you could see him literally roll his eyes. I’m sure there are some good ones out there (never seen it, but I imagine the doctors from Botched are pretty moral after seeing all the horrible stuff). But plastic surgery is a cash business and a lot of surgeons don’t see patients as human beings anyway (normal surgeons can have god complexes and maybe just technically want to solve the medical problem. Plastic surgeons tend to think they can fix everyone’s “flaws”). There are also countless stories of malpractice, fraud, and taking advantage of people. I’ve had a couple women tell me stories about agreeing to everything prior to surgery, then once they were under anesthesia the doctor convinced them to change the size of the implants they wanted. And it’s not just the doctors. Keep in mind a lot of the “Botox parties” are nurses just organizing a small social event between friends. Maybe they’re experienced injectors or maybe it’s their first time practicing since they graduated. There are so many (small) muscles in the face that do different/counter things that messing up any of them cause you to look wonky. 

having said that, there are skilled professionals out there. My point is that it’s not too hard for bad apples to get in and screw stuff up for a lot of people. 

• Love 6

The best part of the episode for me was Josh's party. I would watch a reality show of just Flagg, Bobby, the dog and their parties. I don't even care if the guests are D list or no list, as Flagg, Bobby and the dog should be the stars anyway. I hope by the end of the season the dog is referred to as Josh and Bobby's, not Tracy's. 

Edited to add: On the topic of plastic surgery, there was an episode on RHoBH this year where Dorit was accompanying Kyle to an appointment with her plastic surgeon. The surgeon suggested that Dorit should have some work done, and to Dorit's credit she declined. Not saying that Dorit hasn't had some done already, but you can see how plastic surgeons play on people's insecurities to talk them into having unnecessary procedures. I was glad that Dorit told him that she was happy with how she looked already. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 5
On 11/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, oakville said:

A few weeks ago , she was flirting with her young boyfriend who was washing her car & splashing her with the hose. It must be mortifying for her kids. 

This is all screaming mid-life crisis!  

On 11/13/2021 at 12:42 PM, jrzy said:

Thank you,  I cannot stand Tracy,  besides her frozen face and ridiculous outfits she is  selling a real misconception about woman realtors.  She acts like she is the only woman realtor out there?  From my perspective its been a job that many woman have done over the decades because they could work flexible hours.  Most of the realtors I know are woman.    

I cannot stand her either. 

On 11/13/2021 at 3:40 PM, amarante said:

I am not a fan of Tracy - I prefer the NY woman.

On her perception of sexism, I will say that at the levels she his dealing with - especially in terms of the new developers who seem to be really repulsive in general - she probably has to put up with a lot of shit. I have worked in companies where the upper level guys created what was essentially a hostile environment.

On the other hand, as an heiress to the corrupt Tutor-Saliba dynasty, she was born on third base and like many others seems to think she has hit a home run.

My calculations might be off but Flagg might still be getting a portion of the commission. The seller pays 6% (or maybe negotiated down to 5%) and that amount is split between the buyer's and the seller's agents. So I am not sure technically how much Flagg was giving up - 6% commission on $8 million is about $500,000 and $400,000 for 5%. Flagg was only entitled to half of it to begin with since Tracy was technically entitled to 50% of the commission which effectively reduces the net purchase price to her or could be used as a negotiating chip.

If her dad wasn't a billionaire, she would not be where she is today.  She is not a good salesperson.  But she seems to think that she is.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, Stan39 said:

I posted above that I thought both the living space and office space were impractical for either. Anytime something like this comes up and someone actually foots the bill I assume “tax dodge”.  Lol. Though you can only deduct the value of the office space, maybe if you also lease out the living space you can also declare depreciation on the living space to make it seem like you don’t have income? I don’t know. I don’t understand the stuff as well as rich people do. Seems like most never end up paying for the stuff they buy. 

I have a friend who was renting an apartment that was basically attached to a mortgage company or some such on the first floor, the guy who owned the building rented out both spaces, but she had to walk down the stairs and through the mortgage company space to get to the front door.  I think she also had a back door that led out to a deck, but still it was a weird set up.  AND there was only one electricity bill for the place, and my friend realized after contacting the city when her bill was like $500 for a month that she was paying for the mortgage company's power.  

10 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

When he mentioned the Maude Salad, I looked it up and I found most of Chasen's recipes online!  I think the LA Times put them together.  It does sound good, except for the chives, I don't like chives.  

2 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

The best part of the episode for me was Josh's party. I would watch a reality show of just Flagg, Bobby, the dog and their parties. I don't even care if the guests are D list or no list, as Flagg, Bobby and the dog should be the stars anyway. I hope by the end of the season the dog is referred to as Josh and Bobby's, not Tracy's. 

I listened to a podcast, maybe it was Heather McDonald's, and he said that he and Bobby eventually got their own dog from the same mother (?) as Tracy's dog.  Uugh breeding, but I guess I kind of get it when you fall in love with certain characteristics of a specific dog.  He also mentioned that the first dog they chose (from the litter) was awful, so they got the next one.. I wonder what happend to the awful dog :(

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I listened to a podcast, maybe it was Heather McDonald's, and he said that he and Bobby eventually got their own dog from the same mother (?) as Tracy's dog.  Uugh breeding, but I guess I kind of get it when you fall in love with certain characteristics of a specific dog.  He also mentioned that the first dog they chose (from the litter) was awful, so they got the next one.. I wonder what happend to the awful dog :(

Aw, I hope that doesn't mean that Tracy's dog no longer visits. That would be so sad as I doubt he gets much attention at the Tutor home. And hopefully the "awful" dog was adopted by owners who think it is wonderful. Many years ago I knew a couple who adopted a dog and it was a terrible fit as they could barely take care of themselves and their kid. The dog was acting out so they found a new home for it. As it happened I was working for a vet at the time, and what dog should come into the clinic one day but the same dog, with its new family. They absolutely loved it to pieces, and vice versa. Was so nice to see that he was not sentenced to a life with people who did not deserve him, or know how to give him the life he deserved. 

Incidentally, as a life long cat owner, all of my kitties except one were/are either strays or adopted from the SPCA. I always wonder how anyone could have given up the ones I adopted (or as I say, adopted me) as they have all been amazing kitties. But then I am thankful, as they also don't deserve them if they did not see what wonderful furbabies each and every one of them were. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

I loved the Brits' listing.  I guess everyone else didn't like it as much as I did.  I wouldn't necessarily want to live there, but it was beautiful.

I thought it was a beautiful building, it just didn’t seem like a home. Like I said, I think it would be a great day spa but not really a home or vacation home for a family. That main floor layout seemed more like a lobby with a juice bar than a living room where the family can hangout. Lol. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

The best part of the episode for me was Josh's party. I would watch a reality show of just Flagg, Bobby, the dog and their parties. I don't even care if the guests are D list or no list, as Flagg, Bobby and the dog should be the stars anyway.

Seconding this! I don't care who shows up - I just like looking at the fancy place-settings. They could include recipes!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, GussieK said:

I loved the Brits' listing.  I guess everyone else didn't like it as much as I did.  I wouldn't necessarily want to live there, but it was beautiful.

I loved it. I would move into it in a heartbeat, even though it's in the Bird Streets. 😉

• Love 6

So Josh Flagg can have a show where he hosts fabulous dinner parties and show iconic LA home.  I would totally watch.

Jeff Lewis should be the Doris Day house and restore it.  He would be good at that.  I tried to look at it on Google Maps Street View , but it has a large shrub barrier out front and can't be seen from the road.

I did find the Brit's house, they were showing. I think it's still for sale.  Also on Google Street View, the house at the end of the cul de sac is blurred out.  Wonder what is up with that?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I did find the Brit's house, they were showing. I think it's still for sale.  Also on Google Street View, the house at the end of the cul de sac is blurred out.  Wonder what is up with that?

Anyone can have their home blurred out on Google Street View.  Many people do it for simple privacy reasons.  A family member of mine did this; he's an attorney who didn't want clients or opposing defendants being able to easily find him.

Re:  the plastic surgery.  Ugh.  Just ugh.  And I'm saying this as someone who has admittedly gone under the knife more than once.  

The pulling and tugging of skin is so unattractive.  And yes, some plastic surgeons can mark up a person's body and make them feel so physically unattractive that they agree to almost anything.  

I've used two different plastic surgeons in my life, and both were outstanding and did the minimal work that I asked for.   One form asked what I wanted/didn't want, and I drew a circle and wrote "Nancy Pelosi", and put a diagonal line through it, lol.

Edited by Starlight925
  • LOL 4
9 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Anyone can have their home blurred out on Google Street View.  Many people do it for simple privacy reasons.  A family member of mine did this; he's an attorney who didn't want clients or opposing defendants being able to easily find him.

how does that help?

• Love 1

If I'm going to spend $28M+ on a house, I don't think I'm really going to care too much that the kitchen is too orange - because I'm unlikely to be spending any time there.  I'll have people who work in there and can bring me my meal in the dining room or out by the pool.

If Flagg wants to have dinner parties, he needs to get a decent sized table.  And better art.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, dleighg said:

how does that help?

An unsavory person can enhance your home image and spend a lot of time figuring out ways to get inside, or booby trap, etc., looking at points of entry.

We can picture some evil person in a dark room with a giant blown-up image of someone's home from all angles, trying to figure out who-knows-what with it.  So for many, it's just best to blur it.

Can someone just simply drive by it and take pictures?  Of course.  But most people have security cameras that would show this occurring, so it's less likely.  Plus, the Satellite images are blurred out too, and without a drone, someone can't simply take a picture of it.

FWIW, Anthony Fauci's home is blurred.  Many Hollywood celebrities homes are blurred.  The Kardashians use different home fronts for the TV shows than the homes they actually live in.

I was a little unnerved when I was chatting with a guy on a dating site who figured out my last name from my job, and then started asking me specific questions about my home.  He was Google Imaging while we were talking.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4

In regard to why people want to live in the Bird Streets, it's often simply to show off one's wealth, affluence, prosperity, etc.  While Beverly Hills has areas of wealth and extreme wealth, there are neighborhoods that have more ordinary residences.  The Bird Streets exude opulence without question.  If someone can say they live in the Bird Streets, one automatically knows they have arrived financially.  Many of the less wealthy areas of B.H. are rentals that people are attracted to because of the excellent public schools in B.H.  Many of these rents are beyond their means but they scrimp and deny themselves in order for their children to get the best education without paying private school tuitions. 

The Bird Streets area tends to be quite private and quiet with little through traffic because (a) the streets are mostly circular with dead ends and (b) they do not connect to any main streets so there's no reason to enter the area.  It's strictly residential, no stores of any kind.

As far as recipes from long-gone L.A. restaurants, there are several cookbooks available with their famous recipes, sometimes along with anecdotes about the recipes and guests.  (I've read my fair share through the years and had the opportunity of eating at a few of them.)  I love the idea of Josh Flagg having dinner parties and reproducing these dishes that are now considered old fashioned and offered nowhere today.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

So Josh Flagg can have a show where he hosts fabulous dinner parties and show iconic LA home.  I would totally watch.

Jeff Lewis should be the Doris Day house and restore it.  He would be good at that.  I tried to look at it on Google Maps Street View , but it has a large shrub barrier out front and can't be seen from the road.

Jeff Lewis restoring old Hollywood homes that Josh Flagg buys, would make a good show.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I was a little unnerved when I was chatting with a guy on a dating site who figured out my last name from my job, and then started asking me specific questions about my home.  He was Google Imaging while we were talking.

This is super creepy. 😳

Thank you @Annifran for the Bird Streets explanation. ♥️

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

I do have a good story about Google images.  A dear friend was married underneath a specific oak tree on the ranch she lived with her then fiancé.  The oak tree was struck by lightning several months later, but Google images happened to capture the wedding day! So the bride & groom, under their favorite oak tree, lived on.

Re:  Flagg and Bobby's dinner parties.  Love!  I love them as a couple.  I felt bad for Josh's prior partner that he was with for so long after his beloved grandma died, because Josh just didn't seem to be in the headspace for a commitment back then, and I always wondered if he was just this commitment phobic guy.  Bobby is a doll, and I'd love to see more of them.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I do have a good story about Google images.  A dear friend was married underneath a specific oak tree on the ranch she lived with her then fiancé.  The oak tree was struck by lightning several months later, but Google images happened to capture the wedding day! So the bride & groom, under their favorite oak tree, lived on.

Re:  Flagg and Bobby's dinner parties.  Love!  I love them as a couple.  I felt bad for Josh's prior partner that he was with for so long after his beloved grandma died, because Josh just didn't seem to be in the headspace for a commitment back then, and I always wondered if he was just this commitment phobic guy.  Bobby is a doll, and I'd love to see more of them.

I love them as a couple, also and would really like to see and get to know more about Bobby. I think it's interesting that Josh comes from such wealth, but Bobby doesn't.

I also have a good story about Google images. When my son was in high school he played AAU basketball and was scheduled to play at a high school in Baltimore City. My husband looked it up on Google to get a sense of the parking situation and the Google images captured a presumably dead body laying in the street under a sheet with crime tape and police all around. 😵

Josh needs a bigger table for sure and I am so on board for him and Bobby hosting a dinner party show.  LVP did one....why can't Josh and Bobby.  

My google earth story - My house has about 10 bikes laying on the ground in my drive and walk ways.  It was summer break and the "boys" all stopped by for lunch. 

• Love 5
On 11/18/2021 at 10:33 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The listing that James and David have is amazing.    Mauricio the builder certainly builds a beautiful house. It's modern, but not just a big white box.  David's comments about James calling finishes the wrong name is funny.   $29,995,000 is the price. 

I had a good laugh at James and David fumbling with the high-tech door button.  David's oh-so-British "Where has the bloody button gone?" killed me!

On 11/19/2021 at 8:44 AM, Stan39 said:

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a gathering with a higher concentration of plastic surgery.  Not all of it was good.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:39 AM, Starlight925 said:

Like Howard and Bernadette getting married on the rooftop in The Big Bang Theory! 

My husband is on Google images.  We were on a combination work/pleasure trip in Cordoba, Spain, and he was having lunch at an outdoor cafe while I was at work.  The Google image truck rolled by while he was eating.  Every now and then we look up that cafe just to see him waving at the camera :)

19 hours ago, readheaded said:

I also have a good story about Google images. When my son was in high school he played AAU basketball and was scheduled to play at a high school in Baltimore City. My husband looked it up on Google to get a sense of the parking situation and the Google images captured a presumably dead body laying in the street under a sheet with crime tape and police all around. 😵

And the parking situation...?  :)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

I had a good laugh at James and David fumbling with the high-tech door button.  David's oh-so-British "Where has the bloody button gone?" killed me!

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a gathering with a higher concentration of plastic surgery.  Not all of it was good.

Like Howard and Bernadette getting married on the rooftop in The Big Bang Theory! 

My husband is on Google images.  We were on a combination work/pleasure trip in Cordoba, Spain, and he was having lunch at an outdoor cafe while I was at work.  The Google image truck rolled by while he was eating.  Every now and then we look up that cafe just to see him waving at the camera :)

And the parking situation...?  :)

The school had its own lot, lol.

• LOL 3
On 10/29/2021 at 3:02 PM, Cheezwiz said:

Generally I enjoy the mix of architectural styles featured on this show, but boy am I ever getting tired of looking at glass and stucco/concrete boxes.

Me too.  You'd have to employ one person full time to clean the damn glass.  I'll take a nice Tudor style mansion with some "homey-ness" to it over the box and glass ripoffs that look like they belong in a suburban business park.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

Me too.  You'd have to employ one person full time to clean the damn glass.  I'll take a nice Tudor style mansion with some "homey-ness" to it over the box and glass ripoffs that look like they belong in a suburban business park.

The glass homes aren’t kid friendly. 

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Also the floating stairs that so many of these places use.

I think those would be hazardous for ME, never mind kidlets! I'd defintely be at risk in a place that was all sharp angles, glass and concrete!

• Love 4
On 11/24/2021 at 11:57 AM, theartandsound said:

Also the floating stairs that so many of these places use.

And the extremely tall ceilings. You would need a contractor to change a light bulb.

I love the indoor/outdoor concept with the disappearing patio doors but these beautiful houses are in California where the smog is so thick that you have to stay inside with the doors and windows closed. 

James and David have inspired me to learn how my smart lights work. 

• LOL 5
On 11/25/2021 at 4:10 PM, Showthyme said:

I love the indoor/outdoor concept with the disappearing patio doors but these beautiful houses are in California where the smog is so thick that you have to stay inside with the doors and windows closed. 

I'm a California native. 20 years in San Francisco, 30+ in Los Angeles and I've never closed windows and doors for smog. We did close them and wear N95 masks in the house during the fires because the air quality was just that bad, but in general our backdoors are open year round for us and the dogs to enjoy the yard.

Even though I can admire some of the architectural elements included in these houses they just leave me cold.  And (ducking head) I think they're ruining LA neighborhoods. Ruining. 

There are too many of them, they're massive, they sit out like sore thumbs (especially in 90048) and because they're show homes too many of them just sit empty. 

I love seeing Tudors, Spanish Mediterranean, Italianate, Craftsman, Georgian, etc when they're offered on the show, but they're so few and far between. They used to show more of a variety on MIllion Dollar Decorator. Anyone remember that show? I wish they'd resurrect it.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, ChelleGame said:

I love seeing Tudors, Spanish Mediterranean, Italianate, Craftsman, Georgian, etc when they're offered on the show, but they're so few and far between.

LA has so much interesting architecture. I love all of the styles you listed above and  wish we could catch some glimpses of these - although I imagine a great deal of them probably get mowed down in favour of monster show places. There seemed to be a bit more variety on Million Dollar Listing LA, but lately they've mostly been featuring the mega glass n' concrete boxes as well. 

Edited by Cheezwiz
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

LA has so much interesting architecture. I love all of the styles you listed above and  wish we could catch some glimpses of these - although I imagine a great deal of them probably get mowed down in favour of monster show places. There seemed to be a bit more variety on Million Dollar Listing LA, but lately they've mostly been featuring the mega glass n' concrete boxes as well. 

Or they keep the style outside and when you walk in the front door you feel like you've stepped across a portal into white/grey open concept HGTV-Trendland. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The industrial business complex glass homes aren't just happening in L.A.; they're happening everywhere.  Look at MDLNY:  all the giant, high-ceilinged boxy glass & concrete high rises.  Or in any major city, everywhere.

These will look so dated in 10 years.  

And yes, the floating stairs scare me, but what's even worse to me are the glass side walls that are against the stairs.  Just a piece of glass as you walk up the stairs, no railing, nothing but individual stair parts that one wrong step can cause a disaster.  Plus they look so slippery.

I have two different friends who have suffered bad stair falls in the last couple of years; one will never use her shoulder properly again, after multiple surgeries.  Give me a more traditional, safer staircase, any day.  How do these even pass inspection?

These homes look like they belong in a business park.  Not homey, not warm at all.  

Can you imagine the list of repair people you'll need in your Contacts list to fix every single electronic thing in the home?  My ceiling isn't retracting!  My door won't open!  My blinds won't close!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Or they keep the style outside and when you walk in the front door you feel like you've stepped across a portal into white/grey open concept HGTV-Trendland. 

Yep. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing a gorgeous Craftsman bungalow exterior, anticipating an interior filled with beautiful built-ins and colonnade room dividers, and then going inside to view what is basically an open-concept bowling alley. Ugh.

• Love 10