Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing LA - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Naughty said:

I too love Josh Flagg! I’d love at least a 2 day tour of all areas ( the flats, Trousdale Estates and bird streets, Beverly Hills , Bel Aire, Doheney Estates, etc.)  they talk about on the show. I’ve only been to LA twice and of course did one of the star tours, but  I want an in-depth description and look-see of  all the different neighborhoods  from Flagg in one of his classic cars. Wouldn’t that be the most interesting old Hollywood, historical and architectural tour ever?

I no longer live in California, but could visit my brother who lives in Lake Elsinore and call Flagg to enlist his help in finding a vintage home. Of course I don't want to buy one, I just want to meet Flagg, have a three martini lunch (I'll pay) and see a few homes I can't afford. I can afford the lunch. 🤣

Edited by CruiseDiva
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Generous? POOR Tracey?! The child of a billionaire who is a multi-millionaire himself giving money to another child of a billionaire who is also a multi-millionaire herself? That's not generosity in my book. And if she is poor I'd hate to see your idea of wealthy. 

I don't have a sarcasm font:)

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Naughty said:

I too love Josh Flagg! I’d love at least a 2 day tour of all areas ( the flats, Trousdale Estates and bird streets, Beverly Hills , Bel Aire, Doheney Estates, etc.)  they talk about on the show. I’ve only been to LA twice and of course did one of the star tours, but  I want an in-depth description and look-see of  all the different neighborhoods  from Flagg in one of his classic cars. Wouldn’t that be the most interesting old Hollywood, historical and architectural tour ever?

That is my dream location.  I also want to see laurel canyon, where all the  all the rock stars lived in.  I guess I'll just have to tour via google maps.

• Love 2

Several years ago (or maybe longer than that), Altman and his wife appeared on Fox channel for some kind of interview. Josh was sitting in one of those high chairs but his wife (Heather) was just leaning against hers in a skin tight dress. She’d had so much plastic surgery that I truly didn’t recognize her! That was the most awkward interview I’ve seen and Josh actually looked embarrassed. Heather didn’t say one word. 

• LOL 4

Anyone else surprised when Tracy said living by the school devalued the house? I always thought that would be a selling point, assuming houses are being sold mainly to young families. My parents bought our house across from a private Catholic school and it was a benefit because that block had a park, tennis courts, basketball courts, community pool, and public elementary school. 

I lived about two blocks away from an elementary school a few years ago.    There was noise from playground fun, I could hear the school bells, and getting down the road in front of it during morning and afternoon car pool drop offs and pick ups was always an issue.    I actually saw the listing for a lovely house when I was house hunting here, and it was underpriced, it was down the block from an elementary school, and I wouldn't have been able to get in or out of my driveway for several hours a day. 

I'm guessing that in the income level of the buyers on this show, that most kids go to private schools, and not the local school.  Even if your kids went to a public school, it won't be walkable for their entire career probably, but limited to elementary, junior high/middle school, high school, so it's probably not all 12 years.    I bet the kids would get dropped off and picked up by the nanny or parents, no matter how close they live to schools.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

No, not at all.  Traffic (nobody walks to school anymore) and roving gangs of youths after school are a pain in the ass.

I live 1 1/2 block from a Catholic High School & I've startled more than one group of kids smoking behind my garage.  The mothers of a pre-school a block away use my crescent as a turnaround & dumping area for their coffee cups & miscellaneous junk, including masks (& I'm in a "nice" neighbourhood!!!)  I sent a letter to the school who advised parents to stop littering, but it only slowed down for a little while.  VERY irritating!!!

• Love 3

I just watched the Nov 4 episode.  I loved the Greta Grossman house that Josh Altman wants to buy.  It seems to be very architecturally significant.  I love mid century modern, and to me it looks like a work of art.  I think it will appreciate like art pieces do.  These original mcm houses are just something they aren’t going to be making more of.  I can see him thinking he’d love to buy it just to own it, then coming up with the idea of using it for his parents when they visit, as a practical use for it to justify the purchase.  Sometimes he can be kind of crass and unlikable but his obvious love of this house made me like him better.  

Spoiler

Also I found an article that said he and Matt did buy it for 4.7 million so it was a little less expensive.  

• Love 4

Other things I liked about this episode…

Harv and Felicia (?)  getting a house they really liked and James negotiating then dancing around when it worked out.   

Tracy changing the gate code on Flagg.  I’d have done that just to keep him from wandering around eating whatever he wanted.  I like him on the show but don’t blame Juliet for disliking him.  

no Fredrick!!!

• Love 3
On 11/7/2021 at 6:30 PM, Gam2 said:

Several years ago (or maybe longer than that), Altman and his wife appeared on Fox channel for some kind of interview. Josh was sitting in one of those high chairs but his wife (Heather) was just leaning against hers in a skin tight dress. She’d had so much plastic surgery that I truly didn’t recognize her! That was the most awkward interview I’ve seen and Josh actually looked embarrassed. Heather didn’t say one word. 

I remember when Heather appeared on MDL as Madison's assistant several seasons ago .. She was very pretty. I don't know why he had so much plastic surgery done.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, CattyK said:

I just watched the Nov 4 episode.  I loved the Greta Grossman house that Josh Altman wants to buy.  It seems to be very architecturally significant.  I love mid century modern, and to me it looks like a work of art.  I think it will appreciate like art pieces do.  These original mcm houses are just something they aren’t going to be making more of.  I can see him thinking he’d love to buy it just to own it, then coming up with the idea of using it for his parents when they visit, as a practical use for it to justify the purchase.  Sometimes he can be kind of crass and unlikable but his obvious love of this house made me like him better.  

Reveal spoiler

Also I found an article that said he and Matt did buy it for 4.7 million so it was a little less expensive.  

I am perplexed at the pricing of homes on this show & the NY version.

Didn't the owner & Josh agree that the home should be priced at $6-6.5M ?

How did it sell for $4.7M ?

Are they making up high prices to impress viewers ?

7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I lived about two blocks away from an elementary school a few years ago.    There was noise from playground fun, I could hear the school bells, and getting down the road in front of it during morning and afternoon car pool drop offs and pick ups was always an issue.    I actually saw the listing for a lovely house when I was house hunting here, and it was underpriced, it was down the block from an elementary school, and I wouldn't have been able to get in or out of my driveway for several hours a day. 

I'm guessing that in the income level of the buyers on this show, that most kids go to private schools, and not the local school.  Even if your kids went to a public school, it won't be walkable for their entire career probably, but limited to elementary, junior high/middle school, high school, so it's probably not all 12 years.    I bet the kids would get dropped off and picked up by the nanny or parents, no matter how close they live to schools.   

I was happy when I was a kid & my parents bought a home near my elementary school which was within walking distance. I used to come home for lunch & watch the Flintstones on tv. We moved when I went to Junior & Senior High School which were located in the same building. I loved walking to & from school .

I agree with Tracy that it would be a problem if her house was located in front of the school.

I'm not sure anyone in the neighborhoods Tracy buys and sells in have anyone who walks anywhere.    

So tonight's new episode "Look Ma', We Made It" is interesting with Tracy's listing work/live property in Venice.  It's not my taste, but it certainly has high end finishes.    I can only imagine Tracy v. Fredric. I totally disagree with Tracy's interpretation of Fredric's text as sexist.   I don't understand complaining about sexist texts, and bad treatment when you're not dressing in a business like fashion.   I don't see that price in Venice.   

So Carly Steel is living in L.A., but doesn't drive?     I like the Josh and Josh co-list in the hills.   Spectacular view.   Flagg spent years, and how much to gut renovate that place, and the client hears the permit and other issues and still wants to teardown and build, or buy a lot and build?   

I really don't care about Josh and Matt buying the Mid-Century for the parents.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

What the hell was Tracey wearing?  The hat was not kind to her, let alone the open jacket with the bra showing...pants..way too baggy.  Ugh...

Now the show is making me feel sorry for Fredrick (due to the coming attractions).  I fear the producers are just using him just to add drama to the show and just having everyone dump on him.  Stop show!!  I don't want to feel sorry for him.

Last..I was in LA 2 weeks ago and I did venture over to Venice Beach... very rundown.  Lots of graffiti.  Maybe the block that house is on will call for that price but I just don't see it.  <insert "shrug" emoji here>

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

What the hell was Tracey wearing?  The hat was not kind to her, let alone the open jacket with the bra showing...pants..way too baggy.  Ugh...

Now the show is making me feel sorry for Fredrick (due to the coming attractions).  I fear the producers are just using him just to add drama to the show and just having everyone dump on him.  Stop show!!  I don't want to feel sorry for him.

Last..I was in LA 2 weeks ago and I did venture over to Venice Beach... very rundown.  Lots of graffiti.  Maybe the block that house is on will call for that price but I just don't see it.  <insert "shrug" emoji here>

I couldn’t figure out that house. The living area wasn’t great enough to justify the price and the working space didn’t seem big enough to support the mortgage. A dentist paying $16-18M so he could put in a couple of dental chairs? A plastic surgeon paying that for an office space that has no rooms for patients? Even as an incubator there wasn’t enough space for more than a few startups. 

I thought Tracy was really manipulative turning Fredrik’s text into something sexist. 100% Fredrik would send a similar text to Flagg, Altman, James, whomever. Because something happens to Tracy, and Tracy is a woman, doesn’t mean everything happens because she’s a woman. 

• Love 12

This episode was apparently a duel of the stupid hats. Everyone on all the Bravo shows seems to be wearing those silly Smoky the Bear meets fedora hats these days.

So the Altman bros bought a house for their parents as an ego boost for themselves?

Was Flagg's picky friend supposed to be British? She had no accent that I could detect. I haven't watched Entertainment Tonight in years, so I don't know who the hosts are. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 11/10/2021 at 7:20 PM, CattyK said:

Reveal spoiler

I'm wondering where you saw the price that is revealed in your spoiler? Because on today's episode the Altman Brothers claim to have paid almost a million dollars more than that? Did they inflate the price on camera to make themselves look like even bigger big shots? It would not surprise me. I don't usually like mid century modern but did like that house, and the view was gorgeous. 

Tracy is ruining this season for me. Last week she whined and treated Flagg like crap until he dropped his commission, so she could have his $200,000 to spend on renos. What a bitch. This week she flipped out over a text Fredrick sent, which, as has been pointed out, is no different than he would send to one of the guys.  Tracy is the type of woman who gives women a bad name. And I am speaking as a woman. I hate women who claim to be tough and want to be treated the same as a man, but when they are turn on the water works and whine. 

There was way too much Tracy in this episode. Both hubby and I hate her voice, and I almost muted the TV and put on closed captioning just so I would not have to listen to her. Ugh. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I'm wondering where you saw the price that is revealed in your spoiler? Because on today's episode the Altman Brothers claim to have paid almost a million dollars more than that? Did they inflate the price on camera to make themselves look like even bigger big shots? It would not surprise me. I don't usually like mid century modern but did like that house, and the view was gorgeous. 

Sorry, I should have linked the article.  https://www.dirt.com/gallery/moguls/real-estate/matt-josh-altman-house-beverly-hills-1203381989/
I looked at several articles about Grossman houses, but I think that’s the main article about this sale.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

I haven't watched Entertainment Tonight in years, so I don't know who the hosts are. 

I watch ET every night and have never seen her. You need a personality to be on ET.

And if she was one of their "special co-hosts for the day", she didn't make any lasting impression.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I totally checked out of this season two episodes ago. What did Fredrik text Tracy?

Basically, they both were up for a listing and the owner told Fredrick he wanted them to co-list. According to Fredrick, he decided it wasn’t worth his time so he took himself out of the race and told the owner to go with Tracy (because she’s great and wonderful, yada yada). He then sent Tracy a text saying something along the lines of “I’m taking myself out so that you can have the listing. Enjoy”. Something to that effect. Agreed it could be condescending but I learned in my 20s not to microdissect text messages. No misogynist undertones. It felt like Tracy wanted Fredrick to apologize and when he decided to stand his ground she claimed sexism and started crying (she then immediately stopped crying and seemed to be acting the whole time). 

As to Flagg’s client, I was sure after the tour of his property she was just going to buy his lot and build her dream house there. Honestly, Flagg’s description wasn’t really an indictment of building you’re own home. It seemed like the biggest thing slowing down Flagg’s house is that Flagg keeps deciding to tear down what he’s built just to build something bigger. He’d probably be done by now if he just did the reno he originally planned/wanted. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Stan39 said:

Basically, they both were up for a listing and the owner told Fredrick he wanted them to co-list. According to Fredrick, he decided it wasn’t worth his time so he took himself out of the race and told the owner to go with Tracy (because she’s great and wonderful, yada yada). He then sent Tracy a text saying something along the lines of “I’m taking myself out so that you can have the listing. Enjoy”. Something to that effect. Agreed it could be condescending but I learned in my 20s not to microdissect text messages. No misogynist undertones. It felt like Tracy wanted Fredrick to apologize and when he decided to stand his ground she claimed sexism and started crying (she then immediately stopped crying and seemed to be acting the whole time). 

Capped by her crying, Tracy's overreaction to Fredrick's text was bizarre. She certainly sends a mixed message by complaining about a sexist message while dressed in a hooker style outfit. Her clothing is getting more outrageous by the week. Who does she expect to take her seriously as an accomplished businesswoman when she's flashing cleavage and a bare midriff?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I wish I knew more info about the Altman's buying their parents a house.  Did they give it to them outright?  Or are they letting them live there while the bros still own it?  Who's paying the taxes?  Was it a cash deal or a mortgage?  That's alot of house for someone that isn't going to live there full time.  Being a reality show OG (as most of us here are),  I'm just not buying what the Altmans are trying to sell.  

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I wish I knew more info about the Altman's buying their parents a house.  Did they give it to them outright?  Or are they letting them live there while the bros still own it?  Who's paying the taxes?  Was it a cash deal or a mortgage?  That's alot of house for someone that isn't going to live there full time.  Being a reality show OG (as most of us here are),  I'm just not buying what the Altmans are trying to sell.  

I just thought it was funny how Altman used “you won’t have people walking through your house” as a reason why the sellers should sell for $1M below asking price. I think I’d be willing to let a few hundred people walk through my house if it meant an extra $1M lol. The No commission was a much bigger point. The fact that the sellers didn’t even balk at $5.5 suggests it was way overpriced and everyone knew it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Altman Brothers said they paid $5.5 for the house, but extra for the furniture and art work to be included.   I'm not sure if that was $500k, but that's probably the price difference between what they paid, and the reported costs.   

They said they paid $400K for the furniture and $5.9M all in for everything. But maybe that was all staged and they backed out.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Stan39 said:

They said they paid $400K for the furniture and $5.9M all in for everything. But maybe that was all staged and they backed out.

It does make one wonder. There is a pretty big difference between the price they said on the show that they paid - 5.5 million - and the price quoted in the article above. Eight hundred thousand is a pretty big discrepancy. Is there an agency that reports the actual sale price? In the province where I live there is a government website where you can look up the sale price of any property that has sold in the last three years.  

Regarding Josh's client who works for ET? I haven't been a religious viewer of the show for a long time. but watch it enough to know that I have no idea who that person is. And the couple of comments about being British was funny as she has no accent at all. It did make me wonder how well ET pays its well known hosts when someone much lesser known can afford a 10-13 (or was it 14) million dollar house. Or is this another case of the parents helping to foot the bill? 

Edited to add - I just read that Altman put his own house on the market in early August. They only bought it 3 years ago, and Heather gushed that it was the perfect home to raise their family. Not any more I guess. Also wasn't one of the the draws for buying the MCM house for the parents that it was half way between the two brothers' houses? Hmmmm........

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Aren’t Josh’s parents already wealthy enough to afford to buy a second home in L.A. ?

Perhaps it is an investment property for Josh & his brother ?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Capped by her crying, Tracy's overreaction to Fredrick's text was bizarre. She certainly sends a mixed message by complaining about a sexist message while dressed in a hooker style outfit. Her clothing is getting more outrageous by the week. Who does she expect to take her seriously as an accomplished businesswoman when she's flashing cleavage and a bare midriff?

A few weeks ago , she was flirting with her young boyfriend who was washing her car & splashing her with the hose. It must be mortifying for her kids. 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, oakville said:

Aren’t Josh’s parents already wealthy enough to afford to buy a second home in L.A. ?

Exactly, which tells me if they wanted a second home in LA, they would have/could have bought one themselves.

I feel that the Bros own the house and will sell it soon, then evicted their "tenants" and not even look back.  :) 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, oakville said:

That’s what I think.   Josh did seem to really like the house too but who knows what’s real and what’s scripted.  I thought it was funny when they told the parents and were saying this is yours, handing the keys over, repeating this yours…then finally said “this yours when you’re here in LA” indicating josh and Matt are the owners.  
anyway, I think they wanted to buy it for a reason of their own , then letting the parents use it was an afterthought.  At least it keeps the house from sitting vacant all the time.  

Edited by CattyK
  • Love 1

I'm sure that whole "surprise" thing with the Altmans' parents was just for TV, but I cracked up when their mom said "I'd need to get nicer nightclothes"

My thought was with that glass shower in a glass room WITH HOUSES I CAN SEE:

"no f'ing way would I feel comfortable taking a shower in there, particularly when it's dark out!"

Do people really not have a problem with that?

• LOL 5
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

I'm sure that whole "surprise" thing with the Altmans' parents was just for TV, but I cracked up when their mom said "I'd need to get nicer nightclothes"

My thought was with that glass shower in a glass room WITH HOUSES I CAN SEE:

"no f'ing way would I feel comfortable taking a shower in there, particularly when it's dark out!"

Do people really not have a problem with that?

I'd have a problem with that. Even though no neighbors can see in from the master bedroom side of my house my master bedroom and master bathroom have shades for a good reason and it has nothing to do with the quality of my nightclothes. Privacy in those rooms is important.

• Love 5

"We were 'bad' kids because we terrorized babysitters, so here's a $6M house."  GTFO of here with that, Altman Bros.  I don't believe for a second that was anything but producer-driven story for them wanting an investment property.  Also, Matt Altman: the only guy who can make Josh Altman seem less insufferable.

I missed the Brits. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 11/12/2021 at 12:29 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

Tracy is ruining this season for me. Last week she whined and treated Flagg like crap until he dropped his commission, so she could have his $200,000 to spend on renos. What a bitch. This week she flipped out over a text Fredrick sent, which, as has been pointed out, is no different than he would send to one of the guys.  Tracy is the type of woman who gives women a bad name. And I am speaking as a woman. I hate women who claim to be tough and want to be treated the same as a man, but when they are turn on the water works and whine. 

There was way too much Tracy in this episode. Both hubby and I hate her voice, and I almost muted the TV and put on closed captioning just so I would not have to listen to her. Ugh. 

Thank you,  I cannot stand Tracy,  besides her frozen face and ridiculous outfits she is  selling a real misconception about woman realtors.  She acts like she is the only woman realtor out there?  From my perspective its been a job that many woman have done over the decades because they could work flexible hours.  Most of the realtors I know are woman.    

• Love 10
On 11/12/2021 at 12:32 AM, CattyK said:

Sorry, I should have linked the article.  https://www.dirt.com/gallery/moguls/real-estate/matt-josh-altman-house-beverly-hills-1203381989/
I looked at several articles about Grossman houses, but I think that’s the main article about this sale.  

It's listed as sold as well so the $4.7 price is accurate. Even with saving commissions of $300,000 (at 6%) the net price to seller was only $5 million. Still the seller was obviously a sophisticated person and it wasn't as if Almann was snookering him.

I thought the background on how the house was renovated was quite interesting because the people had the money and taste to do it in such a respectful manner. I have seen a few MCM remodels (and other homes as well) where the kitchen was blown out and destroyed the proportions of the kitchen and living/dining areas.

I found the whole back story very strange as well because a nice condo as a pied a terre makes infinitely more sense for visiting parents. Like others I suspect the Altmanns wanted to own a trophy property because it would be a completely sought after listing for an affluent collector of real estate. I subscribe to the Dirt email newsletter and it is staggering in terms of how some of these Uber-wealthy people buy and sell properties like they are baseball cards. It is not the wealth that is shocking but knowing how cumbersome buying and selling; moving; renovating is for most "mortals" that it really can only be done when you essentially have people who are doing all of the scut work for you.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jrzy said:

Thank you,  I cannot stand Tracy,  besides her frozen face and ridiculous outfits she is  selling a real misconception about woman realtors.  She acts like she is the only woman realtor out there?  From my perspective its been a job that many woman have done over the decades because they could work flexible hours.  Most of the realtors I know are woman.    

I am not a fan of Tracy - I prefer the NY woman.

On her perception of sexism, I will say that at the levels she his dealing with - especially in terms of the new developers who seem to be really repulsive in general - she probably has to put up with a lot of shit. I have worked in companies where the upper level guys created what was essentially a hostile environment.

On the other hand, as an heiress to the corrupt Tutor-Saliba dynasty, she was born on third base and like many others seems to think she has hit a home run.

My calculations might be off but Flagg might still be getting a portion of the commission. The seller pays 6% (or maybe negotiated down to 5%) and that amount is split between the buyer's and the seller's agents. So I am not sure technically how much Flagg was giving up - 6% commission on $8 million is about $500,000 and $400,000 for 5%. Flagg was only entitled to half of it to begin with since Tracy was technically entitled to 50% of the commission which effectively reduces the net purchase price to her or could be used as a negotiating chip.

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2021 at 4:08 AM, MsTree said:

I watch ET every night and have never seen her. You need a personality to be on ET.

And if she was one of their "special co-hosts for the day", she didn't make any lasting impression.

According to IMDB she was on ET 2014 - 2018. Listed as Correspondent, Guest Co-Host, Special Correspondent, Guest Correspondent

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2021 at 1:30 PM, oakville said:

A few weeks ago , she was flirting with her young boyfriend who was washing her car & splashing her with the hose. It must be mortifying for her kids. 

I'm all for parents showing what a healthy sexual relationship looks like, but Tracy is only teaching her daughters that to do well in your chosen profession it's all about how you look. Ick. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, amarante said:

I am not a fan of Tracy - I prefer the NY woman.

On her perception of sexism, I will say that at the levels she his dealing with - especially in terms of the new developers who seem to be really repulsive in general - she probably has to put up with a lot of shit. I have worked in companies where the upper level guys created what was essentially a hostile environment.

On the other hand, as an heiress to the corrupt Tutor-Saliba dynasty, she was born on third base and like many others seems to think she has hit a home run.

Tracey could learn from Kirsten Jordan on MDL-NY about how to dress & deal with male clients & agents.

I believe that Frederik was  shocked at her outburst over the text message.

A few seasons ago, Tracey was selected to be an agent for a real estate developer in Dubai. She was friends with  Caroline Stansbury who was living in Dubai & used to be on Bravo's Ladies of London. She warned Tracey that she would have to dress very conservatively if she wanted to sell property in Dubai.

They didn't do a follow up about what happened on that project , but I suspect that she would have had to communicate with Middle Eastern clients that were much tougher to deal with than Frederik. 

Edited by oakville
  • Love 4
On 11/12/2021 at 9:06 AM, Stan39 said:

hey said they paid $400K for the furniture and $5.9M all in for everything.

But the article says $4.7M, so were they lying for the cameras?

I will say MCM is usually not my jam, but I really do like this house.l

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/11/2021 at 9:38 PM, NYGirl said:

I didn't like the home being on a main street right next to a restaurant. Was there even any backyard ?

I can't believe anyone would pay $18M for a 4,000 sq foot house in a commercial area.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, oakville said:

I can't believe anyone would pay $18M for a 4,000 sq foot house in a commercial area

and the actual living area was rather small. What is the typical professional/techie/medical practice going to do with that massive "living room"? I just don't get it.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, oakville said:

I didn't like the home being on a main street right next to a restaurant. Was there even any backyard ?

I can't believe anyone would pay $18M for a 4,000 sq foot house in a commercial area.

I guess someone who is super rich but still has some type of business would appreciate it……maybe. It was such a unique space that it was even hard to find a comparable comp. That said, I wouldn’t pay $18M for it. If I’m spending $18M I want one of the mega homes with a view. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

and the actual living area was rather small. What is the typical professional/techie/medical practice going to do with that massive "living room"? I just don't get it.

Agreed. if I had a medical practice , I would not want an open staircase to the living area.

Can you imaging having kid making noise in the upstairs living area & having patients listen to them?

It also looks like you have to keep the shades closed on the main level so people on the street can't look into the main floor.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, oakville said:

I posted above that I thought both the living space and office space were impractical for either. Anytime something like this comes up and someone actually foots the bill I assume “tax dodge”.  Lol. Though you can only deduct the value of the office space, maybe if you also lease out the living space you can also declare depreciation on the living space to make it seem like you don’t have income? I don’t know. I don’t understand the stuff as well as rich people do. Seems like most never end up paying for the stuff they buy. 

• Love 4