Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing LA - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Stan39 said:

I read about millennials not being able to afford ramen noodles, then see 25-year-olds with basic jobs somehow buying multi-million dollar properties. 

It's the bank of Mom & Dad in a lot of cases. I live in an area where real-estate is insane, and a recent investigative article confirmed the most youngish people who manage to  buy are at least partially funded by their families.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

It's the bank of Mom & Dad in a lot of cases. I live in an area where real-estate is insane, and a recent investigative article confirmed the most youngish people who manage to  buy are at least partially funded by their families.

Every time I think I’m doing ok I remind myself there are people out there buying multimillion dollar houses for OTHER people. Lol. 

• LOL 7

Generally I enjoy the mix of architectural styles featured on this show, but boy am I ever getting tired of looking at glass and stucco/concrete boxes. It doesn't matter how luxe the finishes are, or how gorgeous the view is, they are just so monotonous and cold looking. But I guess probably efficient from a builder's standpoint. I don't think I could live in one - to me it would be like inhabiting an airport lounge or shopping mall.

I would never want to live on one of the bird streets - that looks like a perpetual and permanent construction zone.

I didn't mind the two houses that the young musician couple looked at - they seemed OK - even the new build wasn't bad and felt like an actual home rather than just a show-place. Didn't care for the 90's house that Flagg was trying to sell, and could see why it was sitting on the market forever.

I also liked the Spanish style house Tracy looked at - it was a bit of a palate cleanser after all the glass boxes.

I'm super intrigued by the preview for next week (season finale?) it looked like a Spanish style house owned by John Barrymore. I love Hollywood history so I hope I don't miss that episode, my streaming cable provider is sometimes inconsistent with airing the episodes.

Just for fun, I looked up Flagg's Instagram - it's every bit as weird and entertaining as he is on the show!

• Love 5

I'm thinking that I saw the Barrymore house several seasons ago on this show, or maybe it was on another one?   

I liked the house Flagg showed Tracy.   I didn't see everything she wanted to change as necessary, especially that last bathroom, but it's not my money either.   I liked the couple that James (?) was house shopping with.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, retired watcher said:

Does anyone in LA buy a house without making major changes? The Spanish house that Tracy looked move in ready to me.

At that price point - e.g. $5 million or above, the answer is no.

The people who can afford those houses are not scraping together enough for a down payment and closing costs. Many of them are paying cash.

They have options depending on what neighborhood they want to live in. They could buy a new home or buy an older home with dated finishes and remodel to their taste. At one time Beverly Flats was having a lot of tear downs and awful stuff was being built but as I recall there is now more stringent zoning protection so the older homes are being remodeled.

It seems to me that however Tracy slices it, she had to downsize after the divorce 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Stan39 said:

I’d also like to know more about these supposed millennials buying up those houses. I see the same thing here in Texas. I read about millennials not being able to afford ramen noodles, then see 25-year-olds with basic jobs somehow buying multi-million dollar properties. 

As a Gen Xer, I've been wondering the same for some time. They're always talking about how broke they are, and how bad their lives are compared to everyone else's.

I can only assume they have rich parents buying these houses for them.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Surrealist said:

As a Gen Xer, I've been wondering the same for some time. They're always talking about how broke they are, and how bad their lives are compared to everyone else's.

I can only assume they have rich parents buying these houses for them.

The couple buying the $2.5 million home were in the music business. The guy was Bieber’s music director and presumably had other projects that made money. The wife was also in the business.

I assumed they had enough money to afford the homes they were looking at rather than coming from family wealth.  Of course who really knows 🤷‍♀️ But they seemed to have managed to be lucky enough to carve out a career which enabled them to afford a nicer home at a young age. 

In general many kids do get help with their first home in terms of a down payment but I didn’t question their finances just as I would assume someone was financially lucky if they were a pro athlete or had worked in a startup and scored IPO stock like a lot of young people in Silicon Valley. 

The international model 😂😂😂 a few episodes ago was obviously purchasing only with the help of significant family money. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, amarante said:

The couple buying the $2.5 million home were in the music business. The guy was Bieber’s music director and presumably had other projects that made money. The wife was also in the business.

I assumed they had enough money to afford the homes they were looking at rather than coming from family wealth.  Of course who really knows 🤷‍♀️ But they seemed to have managed to be lucky enough to carve out a career which enabled them to afford a nicer home at a young age. 

In general many kids do get help with their first home in terms of a down payment but I didn’t question their finances just as I would assume someone was financially lucky if they were a pro athlete or had worked in a startup and scored IPO stock like a lot of young people in Silicon Valley. 

The international model 😂😂😂 a few episodes ago was obviously purchasing only with the help of significant family money. 

I should have been more clear in my original comment. I agree, I think the young couple could afford the house on their own (though I get the feeling he has the money and he’s just supporting her music career as a hobby. She didn’t sound all that impressive a singer from what we heard). I was just struck that James said millennials were buying most of the properties in the neighborhood, so it was more about the off-camera families that are driving up prices for everyone. But I also think California is an oddity in that a lot of people will put all of their money into a home deposit and not have much liquid assets left. 

• Love 3

I agree the young couple with James could easily afford the house.   I really liked them, and I would love to know them in real life.     

But others on this show, or House Hunters, you know that must either be trust funds or family money, or they're not saying what they actually do.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree the young couple with James (or David?) could easily afford the house.   I really liked them, and I would love to know them in real life.     

But others on this show, or House Hunters, you know that must either be trust funds or family money, or they're not saying what they actually do.

I think HH has more buyers whose professions and ages don't clearly explain their ability to purchase an expensive home.

On MDL the purchasers are clearly people of means. There have been a very few young people who obviously have family money but it isn't hidden the way it often is on HH.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, amarante said:

I think HH has more buyers whose professions and ages don't clearly explain their ability to purchase an expensive home.

On MDL the purchasers are clearly people of means. There have been a very few young people who obviously have family money but it isn't hidden the way it often is on HH.

I guess I shouldn’t complain. There have been seasons where it felt like the only people buying and selling properties on this show were developers or rich oligarchs who were never going to live in the houses. At least this season there are real human beings looking for a home to make their own. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Stan39 said:

But I also think California is an oddity in that a lot of people will put all of their money into a home deposit and not have much liquid assets left. 

I don't think California is an anomaly in terms of people having to use every bit of their savings in order to purchase their first home. I think historically that has always been true.

I had to really stretch to buy my first place and then eventually my income caught up. Same with my parents when they bought their first home. Not much furniture for the first few years But my parents gave me something to help with the down payment. 

What is different about the Los Angeles market is that it is so expensive and even though salaries might be higher than other areas, housing in geographically desirable areas is still too expensive for many first home buyers. 

ETA But of course MDL isn't dealing with the segment of the market that can't afford to buy in SoCal. That is more of a HH storyline where there have been a number of shows in SoCal where homeowners have not been able to afford to buy a home where they want to live or the homes available are objectively terrible.

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree the young couple with James (or David?) could easily afford the house.   I really liked them, and I would love to know them in real life.   

It was James--and I really liked them, too.  I also in general really like the Brits.  Not just because of their lifelong friendship, but I think they have a good sense of humor and they're not over the top (see Fredrick).

I really liked the house Tracey has her eye on, but some of the things she wants to do were not necessary--like put an addition on the guesthouse.  I do agree about changing the flooring in the kitchen, but other than that, the rest didn't seem all that needed, IMO.

• Love 4
On 10/30/2021 at 6:00 AM, Stan39 said:

I was just struck that James said millennials were buying most of the properties in the neighborhood, so it was more about the off-camera families that are driving up prices for everyone. 

In terms of that specific area as well as price range, there are probably first time buyers who are being helped with the down payment for a $2 million home. 

Millennials are now in their mid to late thirties and many would have well established careers and are two high income professionals of some kind and could afford the mortgage payments. Their parents (baby boomers) would have assets and would gift them with what is in effect an "advance" on what would be their inheritance anyway. 

Also many millennials would be buying their second home so would have realized equity from the sale of their appreciated first starter homes. Millennials are defined as born between 1981 and 1996. The specific neighborhood and homes in Encino/Studio City would be logical second homes for families who had outgrown their smaller homes or condos.

I am not sure that they are "driving up the price" as fair market value for any homes is complex. I am more astounded by housing prices on HH for places in the boonies that are complete "builder grade" tract style homes with no particular features that are appealing. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 5

This is the first time watching the LA version. I still hate Fredrik. He still OTT with everything he says and his reactions and expressions. I would really enjoy the show so much more without him. It was nice not to see him as much in New York. I kind of like Tracy and her daughters. The daughters don’t seem too entitled……yet. I also like James Harris and his partner. Of course, a lot of this is fake but occasionally you do see real deals being made. That said, I didn’t like the house Bernard Harvey and his wife liked. The short driveway hill was a total pass for me. I like my driveways flat and especially at that price. LOL!!!!

• Love 4

I really wish they’d remove Fredrik from this show. Episodes without him are SO much more enjoyable. 

Loved the Flagg/Tracy moment at the end. I just love Flagg. 

Maybe it’s just because I’m not a rich Californian, but… why not just get your parents a condo? $6M is crazy for a house that only two people will live in, and not even full-time! Plus, Altman’s parents are well off, no? I get the “nice gesture” part of it, but I feel like they can afford to buy their own home to be near the grandchildren. 

• Love 12
41 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I thought it was sweeet for Flagg to give up his commission so that Tracy could buy Hillcrest.

I'm not sure I'd be able to give up 204K. Then again, I don't have family money like Josh does.

It was a lovely gesture by Flagg but I think Tracy takes advantage of people. Her poor me act was so phony. She comes from big time family money and her low ball offer was insulting, particularly when she talks about all the "work" the house "needs" to suit her. If she can afford to make the changes to a perfectly lovely house, she could afford to pay the buyer's price. 

29 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Does Flagg get the dog now?

I hope so!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

It was a lovely gesture by Flagg but I think Tracy takes advantage of people. Her poor me act was so phony. She comes from big time family money and her low ball offer was insulting, particularly when she talks about all the "work" the house "needs" to suit her. If she can afford to make the changes to a perfectly lovely house, she could afford to pay the buyer's price. 

I hope so!

I thought Josh should have made the dog a part of the deal. I do wonder though if this was just another story line that never really happened as presented. If it did happen as shown,, Tracy is damn lucky to have a friend who would basically give her $200,000 so she could renovate, since that is really what Flagg did. 

3 hours ago, SilverLake0315 said:

I really wish they’d remove Fredrik from this show. Episodes without him are SO much more enjoyable. 

Maybe it’s just because I’m not a rich Californian, but… why not just get your parents a condo? $6M is crazy for a house that only two people will live in, and not even full-time! Plus, Altman’s parents are well off, no? I get the “nice gesture” part of it, but I feel like they can afford to buy their own home to be near the grandchildren. 

Altman's conversation with Heather seemed to me like another scene just for the sake of the show, rather than an actual consideration, for the reasons you have stated. At least Heather had the sense to point out that even 3 million is a lot of money to fork out for someone else.  I usually do not like mid century modern homes, but I did like that one along with the beautiful view. It will be interesting if the idea comes up again. 

• Love 6

Good episode!

Flagg continues to delight me to no end. Him wandering into Tracy's house and randomly noshing on her food and playing with her OTHER dogs made me laugh. And yeah, Tracy isn't hurting for money, and could have forked over the extra herself. Mind you, for Josh, the commission amount is probably the equivalent of the loose change the rest of find under our couch cushions. I hope he gets the dog once and for all. This was my first time seeing his husband, who looks adorable.

I agree that if Altman wants to buy something for his parents, he should just get them a really nice condo. Mid-century modern isn't my thing, but that was indeed a nice home.

• Love 4

I’m sure it was just a fake story line but it bugged me that Heather put the brakes on Josh buying his parents a house - meanwhile her mother lives in the guest house and is probably saving them the cost of a nanny.  

• Love 5

Eh, this all seemed staged to me. And most of the storylines just involved the realtors buying properties. I want more random buyers and sellers. Tracy’s storyline seemed particularly fake in that it sounded like she wanted the house for a long time, knew everything about it, but was waiting for filming to start before getting Josh to show it and work with her. It just seems odd that this season’s main storylines have included Bobby wanting to buy a house, Tracy wanting to buy a house, and now Altman wanting to buy a house. Not exactly the point of the show. 

And when do James and David work together vs work alone? I started to think maybe David didn’t want to be a part of the show anymore (James always seemed like he was more into fame) but the season preview suggests David comes back. With all the hype about the hot real estate market they’re still making lowball offers, so I guess we’re not going to see the really crazy market we had this summer (multiple all cash bids over ask with no contingencies or inspections, close within a day of listing). 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Koalagirl said:

I’m sure it was just a fake story line but it bugged me that Heather put the brakes on Josh buying his parents a house - meanwhile her mother lives in the guest house and is probably saving them the cost of a nanny.  

Didn’t Altman say they also have a nanny? And that they’re renting a place in Newport Beach? I guess they were planning to rent to own, but it still seems odd they’d rent a place in addition to owning a house. 

But you’re right, every story line on this show has already been worked out and resolved by the time they shoot it for the show. Just like on those HGTV shows where they make couples decide what house to pick, even though they’ve already bought and moved in to one. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Eh, this all seemed staged to me. And most of the storylines just involved the realtors buying properties. I want more random buyers and sellers. Tracy’s storyline seemed particularly fake in that it sounded like she wanted the house for a long time, knew everything about it, but was waiting for filming to start before getting Josh to show it and work with her. It just seems odd that this season’s main storylines have included Bobby wanting to buy a house, Tracy wanting to buy a house, and now Altman wanting to buy a house. Not exactly the point of the show. 

My guess is she already bought the house, and the permits/design caused a delay, and they filmed before she started the remodeling process. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, SilverLake0315 said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the parents kicked in for that purchase.

• Love 5

I think Altman wants the Mid-Century Modern house for the parents, because condos have rules about noise, and Altman's kids don't seem all that quiet, and are used to running around screaming, jumping all of the time, etc.    Plus, the MCM house can be resold later.  It won't just be Josh's parents, but where the kids spend a lot of time with Grandma and Grandpa.    I notice Altman said 'nannies', so I suspect there are probably 2 or maybe 3.  

I loved the Flagg - Tracy ending.    I don't care if it was all scripted, I still enjoyed it.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Stan39 said:

And when do James and David work together vs work alone? I started to think maybe David didn’t want to be a part of the show anymore (James always seemed like he was more into fame) but the season preview suggests David comes back.

I wondered about this too. Unless, maybe, they want to do their own listings. David seems less interested in being on camera. 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is she already bought the house, and the permits/design caused a delay, and they filmed before she started the remodeling process. 

Ding ding ding. I bet you’re right. It would be hilarious if it came out the former owners watched this episode and were like, “Wth? Is this really what was going on while we were in Europe?”

• Love 6

Between a serious lack of house porn and extremely rich people whining and complaining about money this programme has lost any interest for me. I'd rather watch three hours of Frederik being stupidly goofy than millionaire daughter of a billionaire and ex-wife of a millionaire complaining about her $8.2m over 5000sq ft house. No thank you.

• Love 2

Tracy Tutor is an objectively terrible person.

She puts out this story that makes it sound as if she doesn't get that house in the flats for her low ball price, then she and her entitled brats (and her boy toy) will all be forced to live in her Mercedes SUV. Let's talk about how she sold her current home for $22 (or 23 or 24) million. And this new house costs 1/3 of that.

Or how she keeps insisting the new house is a total gut job. It isn't. She doesn't like the floors and some of the fixtures in the bathrooms. That's not a gut job--it's cosmetics

Or how her father is worth over $1 billion. Yes, she's 1 of 5, but I'm sure Daddy will make certain she will get something when he kicks. Hell, Daddy could write her a check for $200k right now and not miss it. It would be like me handing my kid $200. And I ain't no billionaire.

Tracy is a Drama Queen who uses and takes advantage of her friends. She should be ashamed of herself. But, then again, she's incapable of feeling shame.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

I was wondering why I found the November 4 episode so much more enjoyable to watch then I realized it’s because Fredrik wasn’t on. He’s so exhausting.

Altman is my second least favourite, behind Fredrik. That scene where he lied to his wife about the price of the house he wanted to buy for his parents made me cringe, specially when told Heather that it’s important to keep family close no matter the sacrifice. What about the family he started with her? Where do they figure into this? $6 million (when he agreed to list it for $6.5 million) for a second home for his parents? That whole thing just sets my teeth on edge.

Edited by catalogrrr
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, catalogrrr said:

I was wondering why I found the November 4 episode so much more enjoyable to watch then I realized it’s because Fredrik wasn’t on. He’s so exhausting.

Altman is my second least favourite, behind Fredrik. That scene where he lied to his wife about the price of the house he wanted to buy for his parents made me cringe, specially when told Heather that it’s important to keep family close no matter the sacrifice. What about the family he started with her? Where do they figure into this? $6 million (when he agreed to list it for $6.5 million) for a second home for his parents? That whole thing just sets my teeth on edge.

I hate the Fredrik episodes. Thus me not going to be happy next week. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

LA Fredrick is insufferable, and whatever the hell happened also poisoned him on MDLNY this past season.

I love Flagg, I like the Brits... I even got to like KJ from NY....

I adore Flagg and his husband Bobby. The rest of them I can tolerate, except Fredrick. Insufferable is an accurate description. He's also arrogant and obnoxious.

• Love 6

And shiny and fake and airbrushed. (Continuing the Fred abuse). Who do we have to pay off to get him off this show?

I want a friend like Josh, dog sits, gives up his commission (probably like me buying someone lunch), enjoys new car features. Can he be rented? I’m not retired yet, still have my original teeth and hips, but I can act older...

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, dbell1 said:

I want a friend like Josh, dog sits, gives up his commission (probably like me buying someone lunch), enjoys new car features. Can he be rented? I’m not retired yet, still have my original teeth and hips, but I can act older...

I'm with you - maybe we can share him? He apparently has a new book coming out - it's focused on the real-estate biz. As I mentioned earlier upthread, he REALLY needs to do one on Hollywood history/architecture - like a big coffee table book featuring lots of photos of architectural detail mixed with saucy gossip from days of yore.

He can come to my place any time and steal snacks from the refrigerator. Call me Josh!

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

He can come to my place any time and steal snacks from the refrigerator. Call me Josh!

Josh can raid my fridge and pantry any day. I'll give him the garage door and alarm codes to get in and even have the snacks he likes on hand. I'm a senior gal with cats. As long as Josh pets my cats, he's welcome any time.

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Josh can raid my fridge and pantry any day. I'll give him the garage door and alarm codes to get in and even have the snacks he likes on hand. I'm a senior gal with cats. As long as Josh pets my cats, he's welcome any time.

I'm glad you said cats ... LOL.

• LOL 5

Altman posturing with the "should we buy my parents a $6M house?"  Please.  He makes it sound like Mom and Dad are the poors and he's their great savior. 

And on the other end of the spectrum, "poor Tracy" acting like she just didn't make a killing on her old house and that extra couple hundred thousand is going to break her.  Not to mention her use of the term "gut."  No, as Flagg noted, there's a few cosmetic changes you *wanted* to make.  Flagg is a much better friend to her than she is to him, that's for sure.

No Fredrick = bliss.

Loved James' enthusiasm with the music couple when they got the house.  He and David remain my favorites (well, tied with Flagg).

• Love 10
2 hours ago, oakville said:

He was very generous in giving up his commission to help poor Tracey afford her home in Beverley Hills.

Generous? POOR Tracey?! The child of a billionaire who is a multi-millionaire himself giving money to another child of a billionaire who is also a multi-millionaire herself? That's not generosity in my book. And if she is poor I'd hate to see your idea of wealthy. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I too love Josh Flagg! I’d love at least a 2 day tour of all areas ( the flats, Trousdale Estates and bird streets, Beverly Hills , Bel Aire, Doheney Estates, etc.)  they talk about on the show. I’ve only been to LA twice and of course did one of the star tours, but  I want an in-depth description and look-see of  all the different neighborhoods  from Flagg in one of his classic cars. Wouldn’t that be the most interesting old Hollywood, historical and architectural tour ever?

• Love 10