Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing LA - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

I liked Flagg’s client. She seemed like a nice woman who was realistic about the real estate market. 

3 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

I call this the White Box Episode. Josh Flagg was right about house going out of style. If I had money I would buy the one James and David were trying to sell with the huge yard.

Josh has a real appreciation for the history of the older homes.

And he seems to enjoy it when he can work with clients who also appreciate that history.  I've enjoyed watching him with his past few clients.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I call this the White Box Episode. Josh Flagg was right about house going out of style. 

But what he was talking about wasn't modern/white box going out of style. He said modern (or something like that) when he should have said trend. The wood colours and railings go in and out of what's trendy. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Not to mention, the houses weren’t that great. Though, I liked Flagg’s client. She seemed like a nice woman who was realistic about the real estate market. 

I am surprised that Josh valued her house at $4m when she paid  $5.8M in 2006 & spent $500K on renovations. Is she in a bad location ? I thought the "Bird" streets are popular ?

1 hour ago, oakville said:

I am surprised that Josh valued her house at $4m when she paid  $5.8M in 2006 & spent $500K on renovations. Is she in a bad location ? I thought the "Bird" streets are popular ?

Market was hot in 2006. Now since people who have capital started flipping and developing properties here and there, there's an influx in inventory especially in the Bird Streets. Remember the Oriole house from the previous episode the one close to Dre's former home? It was originally listed @ $38M and sold for $27M back in 2016. This year Altman Brothers represented and sold that house for $16M. I mean that's a big hit. Ouch

• Love 4
9 hours ago, seigle said:

Market was hot in 2006. Now since people who have capital started flipping and developing properties here and there, there's an influx in inventory especially in the Bird Streets. Remember the Oriole house from the previous episode the one close to Dre's former home? It was originally listed @ $38M and sold for $27M back in 2016. This year Altman Brothers represented and sold that house for $16M. I mean that's a big hit. Ouch

The main reason why I’d never work with an agent like Altman. All we’ve heard for the past few seasons is him describe the Bird Streets as some hot area of LA where everybody wants to live. But like Flagg says, it’s clearly overdeveloped and prices are crumbling. Altman sees himself as a used car salesman for high end real estate, but he should really work on providing sound real estate advice to his clients. People spending $10M+ on something might like to hear how “hot” or “sexy” the house is, but in a few years when they wonder where their value went I assure you they won’t think their house is so “sick” anymore. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

But what he was talking about wasn't modern/white box going out of style. He said modern (or something like that) when he should have said trend. The wood colours and railings go in and out of what's trendy. 

the word he used was contemporary.  Not sure if those are interchangeable in the real estate world, but just helping you out.  🙂

• Love 1
11 hours ago, seigle said:

Thanks for the information. Is there a reason why there is such a large price discrepancy between the listing price & selling prices of high end homes in L.A. ? The listing price on the home Altman sold to KD dropped from $23M to selling price of $15.75 M. I know KD had to put about $2M to finish the construction, but it is still a large discrepancy.

2 hours ago, oakville said:

Thanks for the information. Is there a reason why there is such a large price discrepancy between the listing price & selling prices of high end homes in L.A. ? The listing price on the home Altman sold to KD dropped from $23M to selling price of $15.75 M. I know KD had to put about $2M to finish the construction, but it is still a large discrepancy.

I asked some of my friends in real estate about that and here is what they said:

If you are selling a regular home where many of us live, the home goes live on the MLS and many potential buyers see it and explore it.  And at any given time, it would be a good house at the right price for multiple buyers.

But on the super high end homes, it is less about price and more about timing.  A retiring business executive from Europe would buy that house whether it was listed for $ 23M or $28M.  This is because there are relatively few homes like this. But there are relatively few of these buyers as well, so timing is everything.  If you happen to list your home at the same time a buyer like this is actively looking, you could get your full asking price. 

But if you happen to list your home at a time when none of these buyers are actively looking, then your are in trouble. So why do they finally sell at a lower price?

Because Josh Altman, the Brits, and to a lesser extent Josh Flagg have a handful of investors who will say,  "If you find me a $23M house for $15M then I will buy it."  They can afford to sit on it for a six months or a year while waiting for that right buyer to pop up, and that is how they make their money.

Remember two weeks ago, when Josh Altman was told his listing was going to sell for $15M and he wasn't going to receive the commission?  The reason he was able to get a bunch of people to the house the next morning was he called that exact group of people and said,  "Here is a $23M home for $15M but you have to commit by tomorrow.

I guess the shorter version would be that if there are no buyers for a super high end home, and the owners need out from under it, then they will wholesale it to an investor or group of investors.  And those investors will be expecting to receive a deep discount.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

I asked some of my friends in real estate about that and here is what they said:

If you are selling a regular home where many of us live, the home goes live on the MLS and many potential buyers see it and explore it.  And at any given time, it would be a good house at the right price for multiple buyers.

But on the super high end homes, it is less about price and more about timing.  A retiring business executive from Europe would buy that house whether it was listed for $ 23M or $28M.  This is because there are relatively few homes like this. But there are relatively few of these buyers as well, so timing is everything.  If you happen to list your home at the same time a buyer like this is actively looking, you could get your full asking price. 

But if you happen to list your home at a time when none of these buyers are actively looking, then your are in trouble. So why do they finally sell at a lower price?

Because Josh Altman, the Brits, and to a lesser extent Josh Flagg have a handful of investors who will say,  "If you find me a $23M house for $15M then I will buy it."  They can afford to sit on it for a six months or a year while waiting for that right buyer to pop up, and that is how they make their money.

Remember two weeks ago, when Josh Altman was told his listing was going to sell for $15M and he wasn't going to receive the commission?  The reason he was able to get a bunch of people to the house the next morning was he called that exact group of people and said,  "Here is a $23M home for $15M but you have to commit by tomorrow.

I guess the shorter version would be that if there are no buyers for a super high end home, and the owners need out from under it, then they will wholesale it to an investor or group of investors.  And those investors will be expecting to receive a deep discount.

Thanks for the information. It seems to me like the listing prices on the high end homes aren't a reliable estimate of  current fair market value.

I suppose that Altman could convince buyers that they are getting a discount by buying a home listed at $23M for $16M, but it would probably be difficult to turn around and sell it a year later for a large profit.

Based on the scenes of Flagg & Altman driving through the "Bird Streets", it looks like residents are living in a construction site.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, oakville said:

Thanks for the information. It seems to me like the listing prices on the high end homes aren't a reliable estimate of  current fair market value.

I suppose that Altman could convince buyers that they are getting a discount by buying a home listed at $23M for $16M, but it would probably be difficult to turn around and sell it a year later for a large profit.

Based on the scenes of Flagg & Altman driving through the "Bird Streets", it looks like residents are living in a construction site.

Houses are also just overpriced. You can list a house for whatever you want, that doesn’t mean people will pay that. We’ve heard a bunch of times our agents are frustrated they keep losing listings because agents are telling clients they can list higher than market value. Then the client picks the agent who wants to list at the highest price. That doesn’t mean that’s what it’s worth. It still comes down to location and price per sq foot. And almost all of these houses are listed too high. 

And as to the comment about 500K invested in the house, unless that money goes toward increasing footage, adding a bedroom or some other key feature, don’t expect that money to go towards increasing the resale value. Nobody pays extra for a house because it has a nice oven or floors. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

the word he used was contemporary.  Not sure if those are interchangeable in the real estate world, but just helping you out.  🙂

Thank you!! It was actually annoying me that I couldn't remember the word. I was even searching for a transcript. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

the word he used was contemporary. 

And yes, that's an interesting, probably mostly meaningless word. I mean, in the 1970s, contemporary was probably shag carpeting and sunken living rooms. And In the 80s (when my current home was built) it was cabinets that looked exactly like the photo below (long gone in my home now LOL). It's whatever is "in" at the time. We even had the tile floor! Cold, slippery and forget about it if you drop a glass!

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 5.54.41 PM.png

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

And yes, that's an interesting, probably mostly meaningless word. I mean, in the 1970s, contemporary was probably shag carpeting and sunken living rooms. And In the 80s (when my current home was built) it was cabinets that looked exactly like the photo below (long gone in my home now LOL). It's whatever is "in" at the time. We even had the tile floor! Cold, slippery and forget about it if you drop a glass!

I wish I had a TARDIS to travel into the future where everyone, designer to hunter, is insulting open concept, white shaker cabinets and the colour gray. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, oakville said:

Yeah! I mean Tanager Way is close to becoming a Paul McClean street because of redevelopment. About the price, it really depends on the market.  That Bruce Makowsky Mega Mansion in Bel Air Rd was initially listed for 1/4 of a billion dollars but sold for $94M. And Five years ago Paul McClean moderns have been selling like hotcakes and selling for $3000/sq ft. Now brokers are having a hard time selling them because of over supply and influx of inventory. The Paul McClean modern on N Hillcrest rd on Trousdale was initially listed for $100M . Now they are having a hard time selling it $60M. Clearly that developer on Nightingale Dr wanted to cash in immediately instead of taking a risk finishing it and putting it on the market knowing that it would probably sit on the MLS for a year or more.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, seigle said:

The Paul McClean modern on N Hillcrest rd on Trousdale was initially listed for $100M . Now they are having a hard time selling it $60M.

I just took a look at that one. Nice! 

18 hours ago, dleighg said:

I think that’s the point of the word. It’s a fancier way of saying “trendy.”  If your house is contemporary today, it will be “dated” in a few years. My home is Tudor, built in 1930. The prior owner redid the kitchen with granite countertops, solid wood cabinetry (white) and stainless steel appliances about ten years ago. It still looks good because high quality materials were used. We redid the main bathroom last year and purposefully choose slightly retro fixtures and tiles that match the house, with a spa-like bathtub to give a slightly updated feel. If you do everything to an up-to-the-minute style, you will be outdated pretty quickly.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

We redid the main bathroom last year and purposefully choose slightly retro fixtures and tiles that match the house,

our taste naturally runs to what the lingo calls "transitional," which I gather is sort of like saying "classic"-- not too tied to a particular era, but not super modern either. 

• Love 4

The Bird Street home being sold by Flagg would be particularly hard hit by the construction. It is a "modern" home from 2000 but it is in competition with a glut of "more modern" homes than are being over-developed in that specific area.

It was a nice home but the buyer for that style of home in that neighborhood is fairly superficial in terms of their wants and so it has to be priced to factor in the cost and hassle of a huge renovation as well as it always being an older home.

It didn't have the benefit of being a classic architectural statement because Flagg is always really good about pointing out how certain older styles are classic - even when they are "modern/contemporary" like the ones in Belair. This one was evidently just was built as a cookie cutter of modern home although that is probably more obvious when one actually sees it in person. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, amarante said:

The Bird Street home being sold by Flagg would be particularly hard hit by the construction. It is a "modern" home from 2000 but it is in competition with a glut of "more modern" homes than are being over-developed in that specific area.

It was a nice home but the buyer for that style of home in that neighborhood is fairly superficial in terms of their wants and so it has to be priced to factor in the cost and hassle of a huge renovation as well as it always being an older home.

It didn't have the benefit of being a classic architectural statement because Flagg is always really good about pointing out how certain older styles are classic - even when they are "modern/contemporary" like the ones in Belair. This one was evidently just was built as a cookie cutter of modern home although that is probably more obvious when one actually sees it in person. 

Also (and I don’t live in LA so I don’t know this) but it looks like the Bird Streets go uphill. We always see Altman driving by construction sites as he gets to the top, finished products. You’re probably paying for a view. It didn’t look like her house had a view, so maybe it’s on a lower street level? As the streets go up so does the price (all other things being equal)?

Hence, the Bird Streets have a pecking order when it comes to pricing (I couldn’t resist). 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Everybody needs to download Peacock and stream the original Million Dollar Listing series. It’s hilarious and completely unrecognisable from the current show. Real people, real houses, before everything became polished and over the top. It’s like an old HGTV show. They’re bringing Subway to brokers opens and showing home inspections. Buyers and sellers are giving honest feedback about properties and you’re seeing actual houses being bought and sold kind of realistically. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Also (and I don’t live in LA so I don’t know this) but it looks like the Bird Streets go uphill. We always see Altman driving by construction sites as he gets to the top, finished products. You’re probably paying for a view. It didn’t look like her house had a view, so maybe it’s on a lower street level? As the streets go up so does the price (all other things being equal)?

Hence, the Bird Streets have a pecking order when it comes to pricing (I couldn’t resist). 

The Bird Streets are in the western-most part of the Hollywood Hills - essentially before it becomes the eastern most part of Beverly Hills.

You are correct in that people buy there for the views which are why the new construction has architecture that is completely oriented to emphasize the views. And of course, the style itself is completely off the moment and will be passe in five years.

Also they have a hipness factor because they are above Sunset Strip which retains its hipster creds although now it is rich hipster instead of rich hippie living there.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but The Beatles lived there and wrote some of their songs there including Blue Jay Way

There's a fog upon L.A.
And my friends have lost their way
We'll be over soon they said
Now they've lost themselves instead

Please don't be long
Please don't you be very long
Please don't be long
Or I may be asleep

Well, it only goes to show
And I told them where to go
Ask a policeman on the street
There's so many there to meet

Please don't be long (don't be long)
Please don't you be very long (don't be long)
Please don't be long
Or I may be asleep

Now it's past my bed I know
And I'd really like to go
Soon will be the break of day
Sitting here in Blue Jay Way

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, amarante said:

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but The Beatles lived there and wrote some of their songs there including Blue Jay Way

Not one of their catchier ones 🙂 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Everybody needs to download Peacock and stream the original Million Dollar Listing series. It’s hilarious and completely unrecognisable from the current show. Real people, real houses, before everything became polished and over the top. It’s like an old HGTV show.

You are right!  It was so different back in the day when "reality show" meant following a group of people around with a camera and recording what happened.  Here's an example of why you didn't need all the made up drama:

A group was going in to a small city to obtain a building permit to remodel a house.  The camera crew followed them into the town hall.

The mayor's office was close to the building department and when the small town mayor saw the cameras he practically FLEW out of his office to get in front of the cameras.  I mean he was practically knocking desks over trying to get his few minutes of face time.

It was hilarious and much better than the made up drama the producers think we want.

5 minutes ago, amarante said:

You are correct in that people buy there for the views which are why the new construction has architecture that is completely done to emphasize the views.

Also they have a hipness factor because they are above Sunset Strip.

Thank you for posting that!  Now those scenes will be even cooler to watch.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

Not one of their catchier ones 🙂 

To be listened to with the appropriate mood enhancement elements - weed and/or acid; some patchouli incense and an Indian cotton bedspread for lolling on. 🙂

Edited by amarante
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

The best part of this episode was me imagining the producers sitting in a room trying figure out what’s the closest ripoff of Game of Thrones they can do without being sued. 

Let’s face it, that “artistic castle” was just a giant white box with some tacky, fake medieval looking pieces thrown in. If you have the money, why not go all out and make something that looks like a real castle? And put in a nice garden to go with it. How do people have so little style and imagination?

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Let’s face it, that “artistic castle” was just a giant white box with some tacky, fake medieval looking pieces thrown in.

so true! It looked totally fake.

(the fireplace with the dragon on it) "cost 30,000 dollars. Altman is "Really..."

Like he's thinking, what a waste of money.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2020 at 5:30 AM, Stan39 said:

I’m not familiar with the Loud Family, but it sounds interesting.

It was on PBS in the early 70's - "An American Family."  

HBO produced a movie about the filming, called "Cinema Verite" starring James Gandolfini that chronicled the conception, execution and aftermath of the show, which was VERY well done.  Recommend it if you can find it.

• Love 2

Interesting that even though Carlton of the Castle appeared on RHOBH, the listing DIDN'T go to Vile Kyle's husband's company, The Agency.  Wonder if Kyle and Mauricio were watching and he thought "thanks, Kyle....if she'd stayed on the show we might have gotten that commission."  

I HAVE been somewhat curious as to whether the allegations about Mauricio and his shenanigans on that fabulous home have affected perceptions of the The Agency overall.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

Anyone else crack up laughing at Flagg's negotiation meeting with Fredrik.  I know it's all staged but Flagg's nonchalance was hilarious.

I loved it. While I was initially iffy with Fredrik being on the LA version, I did enjoy the rapport between him and Flagg.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Surrealist said:
6 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

Anyone else crack up laughing at Flagg's negotiation meeting with Fredrik.  I know it's all staged but Flagg's nonchalance was hilarious.

I loved it. While I was initially iffy with Fredrik being on the LA version, I did enjoy the rapport between him and Flagg.

Best part of this episode.  I loved Flagg's TH's about how he knew he had Frederik on the hook by the casual demeanor he was showing. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Best part of this episode.  I loved Flagg's TH's about how he knew he had Frederik on the hook by the casual demeanor he was showing. 

Yep. I knew Fredrik wouldn't beat him at his game.

Sure, Fredrik has been in real estate for years, but like Josh said he hasn't been working the LA market for all those years.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5

Flagg was the best part of the episode. I really don’t like Fredrik on this version. He’s comes across as a pompous douche. 

That castle house was so ugly. It just looked cheap and tacky and designed by try hards.

Meh to The brits. It’s weird but I thought I saw a big stain on their office floor. I don’t care enough l rewind.

Flagg cracked me up making fun of The agency’s style of office.

What was with Tracys outfit and hair at that party. She looked like she was from the 80s or something. Weird look lol.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Marley said:

What was with Tracys outfit and hair at that party. She looked like she was from the 80s or something. Weird look lol.

so that was Tracy??? I thought so, then thought not, then thought so, then decided she was just Generic Dyed LA Blonde, LOL. Women start to look alike if they don't just look like "themselves."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Marley said:

Flagg was the best part of the episode. I really don’t like Fredrik on this version. He’s comes across as a pompous douche. 

That castle house was so ugly. It just looked cheap and tacky and designed by try hards.

Meh to The brits. It’s weird but I thought I saw a big stain on their office floor. I don’t care enough l rewind.

Fkagg cracked me up making fun of The agency’s style of office.

Agree about Fredrik. I stopped watching the NY version in part because I don’t like the brokers. Not sure if his appearance is just as a guest appearance for the season or if they’re trying to make him the franchise. He’s also brought up Miami multiple times so I wonder if they’re planning a MDL Miami show? Didn’t they try this down there? I know they’ve tried a million reality shows in Miami but I can’t remember if it was this specific franchise or not. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Agree about Fredrik. I stopped watching the NY version in part because I don’t like the brokers. Not sure if his appearance is just as a guest appearance for the season or if they’re trying to make him the franchise. He’s also brought up Miami multiple times so I wonder if they’re planning a MDL Miami show? Didn’t they try this down there? I know they’ve tried a million reality shows in Miami but I can’t remember if it was this specific franchise or not. 

There was a MDL Miami. For one season. It wasn't that interesting and the brokers featured were annoying. The clients were meh.

Although, technically, it was the first of the franchise to feature a female broker.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Agreed at the NY version.  I hope Fredrik's not on often because I really don't care for him at all.

• Love 5

See I didn’t mind Fredrik on the NY version. He could be annoying but not annoying as he is on this one. He just seems extra douchey lately.

I might be extra against him lately tho because I read some article where he seemed like a vulture going to buy a country home in Tuscany like as soon as the borders opened after Covid. 

• Love 2
On 8/20/2020 at 12:42 AM, Marley said:

Flagg cracked me up making fun of The agency’s style of office.

I enjoy the friendship between Josh and the Brits.  Going from memory so it might not be exact, but this was a fun exchange:

Josh:  "This office reminds me of some industrial park."

James:  "It's a tech startup theme.  Not something a 98 year old woman such as yourself would understand."

BWAHAHAHAHA!   I'm glad they can joke around like that.

• LOL 10
  • Love 9

I live a few blocks from Casa Oceana so I went by because I suspected the property was surrounded by apartment buildings.  And I was right.  The only side that is not adjacent to an apartment building is the ocean facing side.  The apartment buildings literally look down onto the property.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to use it as a private residence.  Maybe a B & B post-pandemic.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I found some old seasons of MDLLA on "Peacock" in Comcast On Demand and have been watching Season 5 with Josh Flagg, Madison, and Altman. I didn't watch the show back then and, wow, what a difference in current shows. I love the houses and Flagg is adorable with his grandmother. I want to adopt him, or at least meet up with him for cocktails.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I found some old seasons of MDLLA on "Peacock" in Comcast On Demand and have been watching Season 5 with Josh Flagg, Madison, and Altman. I didn't watch the show back then and, wow, what a difference in current shows. I love the houses and Flagg is adorable with his grandmother. I want to adopt him, or at least meet up with him for cocktails.

Flagg has really grown into his ears! 

• Love 1