Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing LA - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I skipped a year and it looks like I didn't miss a lot. Was nice to see Madison might be gone. The rest of the show seems basically the same. I don't have a problem with the agents per se except for the Brits. Really don't care for them as they are way too needy. Flagg, Josh and Tracy I can deal with.

Now the client of Tracy in the last show looks awful and she is high high maintenance. The Shave Club guy is stupid as well as the two Russians.

Like I said it's something to kill 30 minutes or so on Thurs. (I DVR and FF through all the BS).

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 3
On 1/25/2019 at 7:53 AM, MajorNelson said:

I'm not an expert.  But, Altman claimed the house was used for most of the shots on Entourage, presumably Vincent Chase's pad...?

In recent episode, JA says the house was the "inspiration" for Entourage.  What a crummy claim to fame.  Home before and after such a claim :+ $0!!!!

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

In recent episode, JA says the house was the "inspiration" for Entourage.  What a crummy claim to fame.  Home before and after such a claim :+ $0!!!!

But “celebrity” because Walhberg lived there.  I wouldn’t care, but some people might.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:33 AM, MajorNelson said:

@hottesthw that's a good point.  I can only guess he considers Tracy as being on his team (the same firm) so begrudgingly accepts her without the usual hostility.

Another thing from the episode with Flagg's video, I was further disappointed by matt with his reaction to the video saying "that guy is a douche."  If he is then don't comment about it, as it shows he's under your skin, but in any case verbalizing it lowers Matt right down to JA's level.  If he wanted to be cutting, he could have just said Flagg just lost his client 500k or something (if that's what he believed).

Looks like Matt is trying to raise his profile on the show, instead of being just josh’s brother.  Not a good thing though.

• Love 2

Josh Flagg has a sister?? Is it a half sister? His assistant was showing an old picture of her. Josh was telling her there were old things needed to get rid of and one was a dated picture of his sister and one of his parents.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Josh Flagg has a sister?? Is it a half sister? His assistant was showing an old picture of her. Josh was telling her there were old things needed to get rid of and one was a dated picture of his sister and one of his parents.

I was wondering that too. I don't remember him talking about a sister, but could have forgotten as well. Even though I know Josh can be a douche, I rolled my eyes at him thinking that anyone would want to buy pictures of his family, no matter how attractive he thinks his parents are. I hope this was scripted. Also re gifting the humble pie to the Brits? Didn't he actually eat some of the pie using his fingers? I hope this was actually either a new pie, or again scripted. Yuck. 

I do chuckle at this show (and MDLNY) when the realtor says that the property they are showing is a one of a kind, there is not anything else like it. And (certainly if it is modern) it looks like every other property they have shown on air. I know they often are referring to the neighbourhood, but the only case where I would believe that is true is the huge, ugly modern house that was built in a neighbourhood of old beautiful homes. What a travesty. I am surprised that the city doesn't have bylaws against that. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

I was surprised to hear that Josh Flagg has a sister. The only info. that I found on the internet about him is that he is an only child and that he is his grandmother Edith Flagg's only grandchild. So this is a mystery. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I was surprised to hear that Josh Flagg has a sister. The only info. that I found on the internet about him is that he is an only child and that he is his grandmother Edith Flagg's only grandchild. So this is a mystery. 

I was a little shocked that he was being so cavalier about the painting of his (purported?) sister, but then he did the same thing with the one of his parents, so I guess he's just not the sentimental type.

.... except that he could barely stand to sell his grandmother's condo and still may not have done so.

I'm liking Bobby more and more every episode. If I ever turn rich and move to L.A., I'd pick him as my adult agent over any of the other childish men who've been featured on the show.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I came across Edith Flagg's obituary. Josh's father was her only child, and it lists a granddaughter named Dana Marineau and of course her "cherished grandson" (as he is described in the obit) Josh Flagg. So it appears that Josh does indeed have a sister. I had no idea that Josh's grandmother was so accomplished. Apparently on his mother's side (which I read elsewhere) his grandfather and great grandfather are quite accomplished as well. 

• Love 5

This was a decent show. Little or none of the needy Brits which I liked.

Josh and Heather with the arrogant seller were cute. It looks like Heather has lost a lot of weight. 

I find Flagg cute in a weird sort of way. His offbeat sense of humor is disarming to say the least but he is a decent seller. And the humble pie was hilarious.

Tracy is cunning. The way she dresses sucks at least to me.

These CA sellers are an arrogant bunch. Your home is worth only for what buyers are willing to pay. It might be your blood, sweat and tears in your home but buyers don't care.

The Delmar sellers are a prime example. Yes it's ocean front but you have a train that is gonna diminish the value. Maybe you're use to it but a new owner won't get use to it for years.

• Love 2
On 2/9/2019 at 2:46 PM, 2727 said:

I'm liking Bobby more and more every episode. If I ever turn rich and move to L.A., I'd pick him as my adult agent over any of the other childish men who've been featured on the show.

I like Bobby a lot. He's so different from the other personalities. And he will call out Josh's snobbery, which I love, even though I don't mind the snobbery to an extent.

I, too, would pick him to be my broker over the others.

@CaptainCranky

The Delmar sellers are a prime example. Yes it's ocean front but you have a train that is gonna diminish the value. Maybe you're use to it but a new owner won't get use to it for years.

You'd think that for a couple in which both are architects they'd be more realistic about how their house is going to sell. The view is wonderful, but I wouldn't be keen on that train running past regularly.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4

I am not at all familiar with Delmar, but is that train just a “thing” the residents deal with?   Or was the show over exaggerating it.  I get that you do tend to get used to things like that when you live by them, but a train going next to the beach?  Is that what was happening there?  Pardon my ignorance.

2 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I am not at all familiar with Delmar, but is that train just a “thing” the residents deal with?   Or was the show over exaggerating it.  I get that you do tend to get used to things like that when you live by them, but a train going next to the beach?  Is that what was happening there?  Pardon my ignorance.

There is an AmTrak line that goes through there. Not sure how often it actually goes by but probably at least a couple times a day. I doubt it is as annoying as the show made it. 

Heather looks to have finished her transformation into your typical "Housewives of Hollywood" look. She was a pretty attractive in the early seasons but it seems that anytime these women get money the first thing they do is mess up their face with plastic surgery. Whether it is just botox or lip injections, they all morph into the same puffy lip, narrow nose, expressionless forehead plastic look. Such a shame and she should look at that other woman that was buying the house as an example of where she could be heading.

So listing originally for $22m and sells for $15.5m. That really shows that a lot of this type of real estate is heavily over valued by the developers (owners). 

Can't believe that video of Josh's worked. That's pretty funny and I hope they do show him make more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, lynxfx said:

There is an AmTrak line that goes through there. Not sure how often it actually goes by but probably at least a couple times a day. I doubt it is as annoying as the show made it. 

I checked and yes it is Amtrak and there are 11 trains per day.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, lynxfx said:

So listing originally for $22m and sells for $15.5m. That really shows that a lot of this type of real estate is heavily over valued by the developers (owners). 

The difference in prices ceases to amaze me . Are theses listing prices verified?

The CA seller should have been more upset with Josh.

19 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I am not at all familiar with Delmar, but is that train just a “thing” the residents deal with?   Or was the show over exaggerating it.

17 hours ago, lynxfx said:

7 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

This is where you could tell that the agents are living in their own little rich people cocoons.  They had no idea what to do about the train.  A local agent could have spun it to a positive by saying,  "The Amtrak runs along the beach.  How many places can you see that?  Right along the beach!  It follows Jimmy Durante Boulevard.  What a cool name.  This is what makes Del Mar a fun place to live."

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

Good God, no thanks.

5 hours ago, oakville said:

The difference in prices ceases to amaze me . Are theses listing prices verified?

The CA seller should have been more upset with Josh.

I think the final selling price was 16.5M (Heather's buyer came up), unless you mean some real world closing that the show didn't cover.  Still what a crapload of a price lowering.... and ~maybe all those new developments at 20-30M would push this property UP.  Now I'll grant you, wasn't this Magentic Terrace?  There's only a few homes on it and Zillow shows the highest one at 8M.  Streets above are 8M-20M

Btw, I notice JA does a lot of out-of-place celebratory laughing and "all righting" when he has his selling client take a low low offer, but that's because I suppose (using Matt's words about JF), he is a douche.  That one with the developer a week ago (and then trying to hook him for future work - "the next one"),  the PV home.  It's a payday for him, so I guess that's why he celebrates.  Nevermind that he sold something terribly below market.

These rich sellers with such anxiety (gotta sell quick covered usually with 'move on to the next thing'), makes me think their net worth actually isn't very high.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

These rich sellers with such anxiety (gotta sell quick covered usually with 'move on to the next thing'), makes me think their net worth actually isn't very high

I think you are right.  Remember, this is L.A. where you "fake it until you make it!" 

That is what was behind Flagg's little jab at Altman when Altman tried to compliment Flagg's Bentley.  "Well, you could have one but they don't lease these."

This was Flagg's way of saying that Altman has money, but he doesn't have REAL money.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

These rich sellers with such anxiety (gotta sell quick covered usually with 'move on to the next thing'), makes me think their net worth actually isn't very high.

I'm thinking that most of their money is tied up in the properties so they really don't have much in liquid cash like you say. The carrying costs per month have got to be extremely high with taxes and the interest on the construction loan they are sitting on. Remember the developer that the Brits were working with last season or two? The one with the nice new construction but it was basically in the valley so a hard sell. It sounded like he was about to go broke if he didn't sell those two properties so he had everything tied up in them.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I'm thinking that most of their money is tied up in the properties so they really don't have much in liquid cash like you say. The carrying costs per month have got to be extremely high with taxes and the interest on the construction loan they are sitting on.

Good point.

Around here when the "fix and flip" shows were so popular we saw this quite often.  Suddenly, everyone was a developer.

Until reality struck, and they realized how long everything took and how stressful it was waiting and not knowing when the house would sell.

And this is where the agents have it made.  It doesn't matter if a house makes money, loses money, or breaks even.  They get their commission either way.

• Love 3

Lame episode. No Josh Flagg other then like a 10 second video.

Too much Altman.

I did not like that house done by the artist in Venice. Ugly to me. Who cares that much about the walls of a house?

• Love 4

OMG I've been to that house in Venice a couple years ago along with the designer's other house which is just as weird.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1234-Morningside-Way-Venice-CA-90291/20454371_zpid/

During both open houses I went to everyone always made the same comments and all of them were negative.

- A nightmare to clean. Every square inch of the house has those wild patterns and each one is a crevice begging for dirt and cobwebs. The worst though is the floor. They are filled with those wild patterns as well but instead of normal grout lines like you would find on tile, these were deeper cuts that would trap dirt and would be uncomfortable on your feet.

- Impractical floor plan. The wave house has this huge island for instance but it has no place to sit. So you could only stand around it.

- Kinda hideous when you see it all tied together. 

- Way over priced for the neighborhood. Sure it is technically in Venice but it is on the wrong side of Lincoln Blvd. Most homes in that area, which is more in line with Mar Vista, were going for $2-3m tops. They tried selling these for $6.5m and as far as I know the Wave house never sold. It has been on the market for 3 years and the Preston house has been for 2 years.

- Looked completely out of place. You can use google street view to see what that neighborhood looks like. This house and the one next to it (which I thought was his too but must not be) stick out like sore thumbs.

Anyway, the guy definitely thinks way too much of himself. Did he really just compare himself to Picasso? I had to laugh at his response to their only offer. "It's not about the money, I want this place to go to the right person and I feel good about them." Yeah the right person is another investor hoping to milk the property as a rental vs a family or even a retired couple. The dude was just happy to sell it after 2 years.

The Jame's mom (or is that mum?) was a fun addition. I did zone out a couple times this episode so missed some things. Not looking forward to next week with the crazy plastic surgery lady again.

• Love 9

Not sure why I still watch this show as there are things as a person who's been in real estate that really annoy me.

1. The prices for these homes is absurd. I can't imagine where the money comes from especially the cash and quick closing.

2. Most of the sellers are morons who believe their home is like shit that doesn't stink. Your home is what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

3. Loved James mum. She needs to be on the show more to offset the whiney Brits.

MajorNelson said it best. The Corian walls were horrible IMHO.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

Most of the sellers are morons who believe their home is like shit that doesn't stink. Your home is what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

Besides the sellers initial greed on pricing, the way they whine over a few K difference is absurd.  Because let's face it, their 250K difference is like a normal person's $2500.

• Love 5
On 2/1/2019 at 4:00 AM, Surrealist said:

I didn't mind Colton, but I like Bobby much better.

I love that he'll call Josh out on his shit. And somehow Bobby manages to convey sarcasm without sounding like an asshole. I'd be happy to watch a show with just him reacting to what people do and say in his presence. 

When the news first came out that Josh and Colton broke up and he had met and married Bobby pretty much between seasons I really had doubts about the relationship.  I was expecting Bobby to be a gold digger and I've been really surprised by how much I like him.  They really do seem like a good match.

On 2/11/2019 at 12:52 PM, MajorNelson said:

Btw, I notice JA does a lot of out-of-place celebratory laughing and "all righting" when he has his selling client take a low low offer, but that's because I suppose (using Matt's words about JF), he is a douche.  That one with the developer a week ago (and then trying to hook him for future work - "the next one"),  the PV home.  It's a payday for him, so I guess that's why he celebrates.  Nevermind that he sold something terribly below market.

I don't know that it's JA selling things below market so much as him promising above market pricing to get the listings.  Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and one of the things the Brits said at the beginning is that they are having a harder time getting listings because they are being realistic with the market changes and not telling clients whatever they want to hear at listing appointments, which is causing them to lose out on the listing, as someone else will come in and say "No, I think it's worth more"  We've also seen Flagg argue that the value is less than what the sellers want a few times too.  JA, though, he's usually talking a big game and then fairly consistently coming in with the "we need to change things up and do a reduction" talk or "this is a strong offer and we need to take it" tough conversation.  The others don't have as many stressful situations and I suspect it's because they aren't just saying whatever to get the deal, they're more careful on the front end.

I also thought it was weird that JA was all "He's using this material called CORIAN" in the wave house like it was a new thing.  Dude, it was a big thing back in the 90s for counters.  Let's not act like it's some sort of innovative material that was just discovered by crazy artist guy.  What's he going to discover next?  Formica?  

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

Good analysis @smores.  There's been a lot of that "We need a price reduction" stuff, but I bet it's as you say he signed sellers up with an inflated price to begin with.  Combined with his jerkish personality,  I could NOT see doing business with JA.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 6

Not sure why I still watch this show as there are things as a person who's been in real estate that really annoy me.

1. The prices for these homes is absurd. I can't imagine where the money comes from especially the cash and quick closing.

2. Most of the sellers are morons who believe their home is like shit that doesn't stink. Your home is what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

3. Loved James mum. She needs to be on the show more to offset the whiney Brits.

MajorNelson said it best. The Corian walls were horrible IMHO.

• Love 1

I think a lot of the buyers of the bigger homes (on both coasts, NY and LA) were coming from overseas.  It's something that is subtly starting to creep into the show, you heard one of them talk about how the buyer wanted the property, but China has clamped down on the amount of money you can take out of the country at one time, so now they have to lease for a few years until they can amass the money to purchase it.  China has made some major changes and I believe Russia has too, both of whom were major markets for the super high end real estate for a while.  

There's going to be a lag where developers are making things more and more over the top and are mid-project as the market softens and they get stuck.  They're too far into the project and have to get x out of it and that's not at all what the market will support.  This is something that played out on early seasons of Flipping Out and Real Housewives of OC when the financial crisis happened in 2007/2008.  Jeff Lewis, for example, was busy flipping houses and he was caught with several projects that he had to unload.  Vicki Gunnvalson had a second house she'd purchased and was kind of half-assedly renovating with plans to "flip" it and make like $3M in profit on.  But, she wasn't paying attention to the market and it didn't gain equity hand over fist like things had for the previous few years and she took a bath on it.  

Tracy did get divorced, she announced it at the end of last season.  It seems to be a pretty friendly split, though.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

Quick question. I missed multiple shows the past couple of years. Did Tracy get a divorce ?

yeah, near the end of last season (I think) they split up. It was kind of a sudden plot development as I recall (though I barely pay attention).

• Love 2
On 2/18/2019 at 2:42 PM, smores said:

There's going to be a lag where developers are making things more and more over the top and are mid-project as the market softens and they get stuck.  They're too far into the project and have to get x out of it and that's not at all what the market will support.  This is something that played out on early seasons of Flipping Out and Real Housewives of OC when the financial crisis happened in 2007/2008. 

You make a very good point.

And Tracy was pretty smart when talking with her friend about jumping on a lower offer instead of leaving the house for sale and hoping for the best.  "We don't want to chase the price down to the bottom of the market."

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 3

I hated the Corian house, inside and out.     So much of the outside made me dizzy just looking at it, and some of the inside tile looked like an optical illusion.    

It amazes me how many of these multimillion dollar properties are tear downs.     I guess that's what they want to do with the Mommy Dearest house?    With that acreage, I think they said 1.7 acres, I bet they put a bunch of mansions on it.    I hope they don't get Mr. Corian house to design it.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

When Traci was meeting in the conference room with the buyer's agent for Kathy's house--the agent walked in with her purse. When she was leaving, she just got up and walked out empty handed. Lol. I know this whole show is fake, but I thought that was amusing. No Altman last night, so that was a bonus. I wasn't very interested in the Brits' clients.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Pickles said:

When Traci was meeting in the conference room with the buyer's agent for Kathy's house--the agent walked in with her purse. When she was leaving, she just got up and walked out empty handed. Lol. I know this whole show is fake, but I thought that was amusing. 

I noticed that, too! It's the little things. Also, what respectable high end realtor doesn't carry around her $10,000 designer handbag every where she goes? Lol. 

• Love 7

David's brother came off as a bit of an ass, I must say. The guy knows nothing about L.A. real estate yet shits on the possibility of remodeling a house in the bird streets because it has no back yard? People who buy those types of modern houses care about the view and prestige, not pottering around gardening and drinking afternoon tea! Jeez.

Also, why the fixation on something "wow"? Building a huge $100M house in what's basically a suburban neighborhood seems like a fool's game to me. 

It also seemed fake/wrong that Bobby was a bit anxious about doing well with the largest listing he's ever had and Flagg barely registered it even though he was nominally a co-lister. I think Flagg's a more concerned spouse than that (although admittedly a lackadaisical broker). I was happy for Bobby that the units seemed to be selling quickly.

I liked Tracy's hair much better at the start of the season when it was shorter and swingy. Either she added some ratty extensions or we're seeing her segments back before she cut it. She has a lot more patience and tolerance than me to be close friends with that ditz Cathy.

• Love 3

David's brother came off as a bit of an ass, I must say. The guy knows nothing about L.A. real estate yet shits on the possibility of remodeling a house in the bird streets because it has no back yard? People who buy those types of modern houses care about the view and prestige, not pottering around gardening and drinking afternoon tea! Jeez.

And I swear when he first talked to the Brits he said his budget was 5-10M so that is what they showed him.  When he came up with the whole WOW thing it came out of left field.  Now they are looking at 22M property?  It made the Brits look stupid and unnecessary for the show.  Producer produced dumbness...……..

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Pickles said:

When Traci was meeting in the conference room with the buyer's agent for Kathy's house--the agent walked in with her purse. When she was leaving, she just got up and walked out empty handed. Lol. I know this whole show is fake, but I thought that was amusing. No Altman last night, so that was a bonus. I wasn't very interested in the Brits' clients.

Yes!   No Altman!   That is a bonus!

Good catch on the purse.   I don't like Tracey and I disliked her friend even more so I wasn't paying attention to that scene.  

The best part of the episode for me was watching Bobby and Josh.   They're adorable together. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, 2727 said:

David's brother came off as a bit of an ass, I must say.

Yeah, he was a real dick to them both.  I'd think a guy who had such a brush with death would have a little humility, gratitude, or just plain couth, but I guess the guy is just a douche.  Unless the brain tumor totally changed his personality, that is.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, AnnA said:

The best part of the episode for me was watching Bobby and Josh.   They're adorable together. 

Definitely the best part of the episode. I liked how they worked together and was happy that Bobby had success with that property. 

The Brits brother was a total ass. I really hate how most of the developers on MDL are always egotistical blowhards. Maybe it just comes with the job? And he was their brother so why not show just a hint of humor or appreciation?

• Love 9
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

What has Tracy's friend Cathy *done* to her face? No one naturally looks like that, do they?

Now that she's sold her old house and closed on the new one, here's hoping we never have to see her overly plastic face again!

• Love 7