Type keyword(s) to search

The Mentalist - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

On 11/1/2019 at 3:40 PM, Aethera said:

Ah yes - the M forums vanished in a  recent Forum issue. So the Mentalist vault is no longer available. 

That's too bad cuz I just started watching it... Good show.. But Jane really is a bit of a bastard... This episode he just made ppl in a medical research facility believe they had all been exposed to a deadly pathogen and would all be dead in a few hours... And suffered no consequences... I hope the entire series isn't like this... He's so smug.. And a bit of a sadist 

On 11/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, UNOSEZ said:

That's too bad cuz I just started watching it... Good show.. But Jane really is a bit of a bastard... This episode he just made ppl in a medical research facility believe they had all been exposed to a deadly pathogen and would all be dead in a few hours... And suffered no consequences... I hope the entire series isn't like this... He's so smug.. And a bit of a sadist 

I just started watching too and I’m on season 6 now. I think he gets away with all of that cuz he’s Simon Baker. 😉

He grew on me. Also I just think of him as a modern US version of Sherlock Holmes and I just roll with it. It’s a CBS procedural they never make sense, and boy do these murders get complicated sometimes.

• Love 4

I am binge watching this on Prime and really wish I was watching while it originally aired. I so want to talk about this show as it unfolds. And Simon Baker is so much eye candy. This is not my first introduction to him though. The rest of the cast is great too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Just a heads-up for fans of 'The Mentalist'.  I noticed that Lifetime Channel will be airing the series beginning tomorrow (Thursday, April 7th). They are starting with the pilot at 10am (CST).  It looks like they will be following the pattern of showing several episodes of a series in a row, but I don't know if this will be just on Thursdays or if it will be other days as well (I didn't check that far ahead).

• Love 1

I just discovered this show at a friend's  house. I LOVE IT! The characters are great; the plots are clever and hard to predict; the dialogue is fast, crisp, and witty; and Simon Baker is yummy eye-candy! 

In Season 1 so far I like the art-theft-forgery episode the best. 

Feh on no discussion forum! 

Unless this is one.....🤫😇

• Love 5

A few years ago I introduced a couple to The Mentalist. The wife found Patrick Jane to be good eye candy. The husband wandered away but returned just as we saw Jane's Citroën. He said "Whoah!," sat down, and watched the rest of the episode.

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I just discovered this show at a friend's  house. I LOVE IT! The characters are great; the plots are clever and hard to predict; the dialogue is fast, crisp, and witty; and Simon Baker is yummy eye-candy! 

In Season 1 so far I like the art-theft-forgery episode the best. 

Feh on no discussion forum! 

Unless this is one.....🤫😇

Have fun watching. The early 3 seasons are the best IMO.

• Love 1

I am retroactively outraged that Emmy Nominee Simon Baker didn't win! His acting throughout is nothing short of brilliant.

E.g., blink and you'll miss his nuanced facial expressions. Baker is a genius at these. 

E.g., when Jane still has a sore ankle after jumping the airport fence (S6, E20), Simon the actor makes sure to show Patrick's  babying  that shoeless foot later as he leans across the table to kiss Lisbon. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The Wedding:

No matter how much acting effort SB put into his kisses, there is no heat between Patrick and Lisbon like that between Patrick and Lorelei, or even Erica of the bewitching eyes. Not when he shows Theresa the ring box; not when he asks her to marry him; not even later, when he's  joyfully lifting her at the post-wedding party (which emotional impact also is from the cast's poignant last filming). 

Unfortunately, and the authoritative  book "Jane's Fighting Ships" notwithstanding, all throughout the writers have Lisbon use her colleague's feminine (emphasized when someone asks about the spelling, and whether it's "[Jayne] Mansfield" [meaning, with a "y"]) surname "Jane" in address (didn't he once tell her she could call him "Patrick"?). And as for the name "Lisbon," well, come on, the show's writers knew what it sounds like and would imply. So maybe romance wasn't  in the original  cards?

Not to mention that pants-suit Theresa is simply not as beautiful or sexually alluring as either Lorelei or Erica. 

Don't even get me started on his previous-marriage wedding ring nonsense Jane spouted to get Lisbon always to wear it now for him to see!

Finally, I thought the pregnancy signaling at the very end broke rather than enhanced the romantic spell of the scene. I realize that this opinion might be a contrary one, but for me it brought the "magic" down to a common level. Yes, I get that it heralds a  happy future for Patrick, something he richly deserves; and that he heretofore had been shown as good with kids (plus hallucinating his murdered daughter); but still. 

All in all, I am sad that I have only a few deliberately skipped episodes to watch or not. To me, this show could have and should have been another "Law and Order" in longevity. 

One last observation: While Wiley had a crush on her, IMO it was Cho who truly loved Vega. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1

I shipped Jane with Lisbon until probably the third season. By that time it seemed to me that they won't go there after all and I became fine with it and appreciated their friendship. Also, during that time it seemed as if every criminal series I watched paired the 2 main characters, so that was a happy exception. Then by the time they paired them up, I just had to roll my eyes.

Also, I hate it when a female characters ends pregnant at the end of the series, as if that was the only happy ending writers are allowed to show for female characters. Hate it.

• Love 2

I just finished Season 7 on HBO max and now I'm alll noooooooooooooooooo.  I don't want it to end.  I really adored this show.  Simon Baker is superb and I ended up falling in love with all the characters.  For me, that's what makes a show work.  Caring about the characters and where their life journey takes them.  And while it may be sappy, I'm so glad the show gave fans a happy ending.  I'm still angry about the ending to Supernatural so for me, it helps to know that they all good things to look forward to.  I don't want to end on doom and despair.  I want to know that after all they sacrificed, all the pain, the characters I loved are happy.  Thank you Mentalist.  

• Love 4

I watched this series when it first aired, intending to rewatch because I was almost always half asleep. 
But I hated the Red John stuff, and it never really re-aired on any stations I got until now (I have access to Lifetime). 

Today I watched 2.17 The Red Box, in which "The team investigates the murder of an British private tutor who may not be what he seemed" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1594872/?ref_=fn_ep_tt_1), and "Patrick Jane, Lisbon and the CBI team brace themselves to finally meet their new boss, Special Agent Madeleine Hightower" (Lifetime description).

". . . Madeline Hightower, the new HBIC arrives. Lisbon is a bit harried, but Madeline takes it in stride. . . . Madeline gives Lisbon a talk, laying down the law: it is her goal to make the CBI the best law enforcement in the state, Patrick Jane is part of that equation, and if he screws up, Lisbon’s head is on the chopping block. . . . After, Madeline tells Jane the same thing she told Lisbon (thementalist.fandom.com/wiki/The_Red_Box).

Jane, of course, screws up, and Hightower suspends Lisbon for a few days. Jane goes off on his own to solve the case, calling Lisbon at home to assist, and, after a number of near-death scrapes, and Jane incurring $16K in contempt of court fines, they solve the case. Hightower--somewhat surprisingly--lifts Lisbon's suspension early. After they are gone, she smiles.

So:
Was Hightower just making sure they would back each other up and work as a team?

I actually liked the Red John stuff but hated who it turned out to be. I felt that was weak. I also think the show lost a lot of what I liked when they changed locations. 

Off-topic, but I am sad that I really have not seen Simon Baker in anything since. I think he is an excellent actor.

• Like 2
  • Love 4