Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (UK) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

They all did really well in semi/finals week. I was impressed. 

How much help do you think they get? I can't imagine they come up with these recipes on their own. We did see one of the home economists in the kitchen, telling Joe to tidy up (OMG is he a mess!). 

I don't think they get any help. Certainly not of the regular and MC Pro versions. Maybe @Sarnia knows for sure.

I thought the Home Ec lady was probably there to make sure nobody created unsafe working environments (fire hazard, trip hazard, etc.) 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I don't think they get any help. Certainly not of the regular and MC Pro versions. Maybe @Sarnia knows for sure.

Thank you for the vote of confidence but I don't have more insight than you do into this. 😃 But I also don't think they get help, at least in the kitchen. But clearly they have the briefs in advance (at least some of them) as they say throughout the episodes that they have rehearsed their dish at home. I think that is more or less true for all the versions, except for the "invention test" challenge where they have to think of a dish on the spot. They often have all the ingredients they need for their dishes so they are clearly planned in advance.

So I don't know how much of the recipes are actually their idea, but they are still the ones who have to cook it right. I expect the Pros to come up with their own ideas, maybe the Celebs get some advice. I'm good with that as the show is so joyful to watch.

Edited by Sarnia
  • Love 2
On 9/21/2021 at 10:56 AM, TVbitch said:

I thought the Home Ec lady was probably there to make sure nobody created unsafe working environments (fire hazard, trip hazard, etc.) 

On 9/22/2021 at 4:18 AM, Sarnia said:

Thank you for the vote of confidence but I don't have more insight than you do into this. 😃 But I also don't think they get help, at least in the kitchen. But clearly they have the briefs in advance (at least some of them) as they say throughout the episodes that they have rehearsed their dish at home. I think that is more or less true for all the versions, except for the "invention test" challenge where they have to think of a dish on the spot. They often have all the ingredients they need for their dishes so they are clearly planned in advance.

So I don't know how much of the recipes are actually their idea, but they are still the ones who have to cook it right. I expect the Pros to come up with their own ideas, maybe the Celebs get some advice. I'm good with that as the show is so joyful to watch.

This Celeb edition was the first time that I really thought about how much help the contestants of the Celeb edition probably gets. A lot of the celebs admitted to not having cooked much pre-Covid and some of them probably would not have gone on the show if they had other ventures to do. This show was one of the few reality shows that was filming and had good measures during the UK lockdowns.

I think the Celebs (and likely the regular edition, less so the Pros) get a pre-taping training course and/or guides on kitchen safety and what happens in a  kitchen like this. There are a lot of things where they move around the room with cameras and other cooks which can be dangerous so they would need to be briefed on it. I think most of the celebs come up with the ideas for their recipes but there is a home economist who suggests ideas, tips, or changes. Some of their recipes and concepts came off as really refined for people who also admitted to not having a huge interest in food until recently. I don't think this was the case for all of them, but some probably leaned on the crew more in that way.

• Love 3

"Champions of Champions" to air on Dec 31 on BBC One:

Five former champions return to the kitchen to compete for the ultimate prize. They are set a challenge by singer and Table Manners podcast host Jessie Ware.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched the first episode. Don't know how I feel about having the cooks sitting there chatting with the other cooks while they are cooking. I hope to god they are not going to go down the path of other cookery shows that have become more about "personalities" than cooking. They only did it in the first round, so I remain hopeful my beloved MC stays pure! Other than that scare, I'm so glad it's back!  

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1

@TVbitch   I actually think I like the new format.  I used to find the early episodes a little boring.  Even though everyone isn't cooking together, there doesn't seem to be a lot of focus on the people who aren't cooking.  I also like the fact that John and Greg try the first dishes without watching the cook.  They only judge on the end result, which seems fair for the first dish.  I am glad it's back also!

• Love 1

It seems that, while they've borrowed from the other Masterchefs in terms of format, they haven't gone the route of "all drama, all the time." It still has the UK feeling. 

Who is that voice telling them "You have 5 minutes left" - it's not John or Gregg!

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, txvoodoo said:

IWho is that voice telling them "You have 5 minutes left" - it's not John or Gregg!

They must have an off-camera timekeeper in the room since the judges aren't there for the first cook.

• Love 1

I have also been wondering about the voice. Would like to catch a glimpse of this mystery man. He has also let a couple of them have extra minutes.

I think having the other cooks in there scared me initially because Pookie was in the first round and she's a Chatty Cathy. It's been pretty low key since then and hasn't bothered me at all. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the first semi-final.  I think the format changes they have made have improved the watchability for me.  The contestants got a taste of service, and I think the right two left.  I liked Holly, but she chose the wrong dish for the challenge.  Farokh is talented, but he only seemed to have one speed and John was not happy.  The diners weren't either.  

The 8 remaining are all talented.  Anyone could win.

• Love 1

I enjoyed it too, although I was worried about Thomas, as I adore him and he was holding up the pass. I also get a kick out of Ioan and his amusingly over-enthusiastic reactions every time he makes it through. I would have been upset if either Ioan or James went home as their dishes were good, and it really was not their fault their ice creams melted. That kitchen must be so hot cooking last AND Thomas held them up. 

I don't mind losing Farohk. I thought he reached too far with that cellular division gimmick for his dish, and then the dish didn't back it up. 

• Love 1

Um, I was not aware of that buttery biscuit base song, and I am sorry to become aware of it. Looks like John stirred up some trouble dropping an S bomb on Pookie. I didn't even notice it. Finals week already. I hope we get UK Gordon and not US Gordon.  

I am happy that Gordon didn't break out his Hell's Kitchen or MCUS personality.  He was as well behaved as he was when he appeared on MCAU.  

I know they have to put the finalists through rigorous tests, but I will never understand why, in service challenges, they make the contestants do all the prep work for every component of the dish.  That isn't what happens in a normal restaurant kitchen.  I guess they want to get the contestants as stressed as possible?  

I was confused that Gordon called the meal lunch, since service started at 4pm.  I had to research meals and meal times in Britain.  I think I have it now.  Lunch can be dinner, but dinner can't be lunch.

This has been a good competition, and I think that any one of the finalists could win.  It just went so fast, though!

• Love 1

That was the best final I can remember, certainly in years.  Three super cooks and likeable people.  The whole series was great this year as far as talented cooks, and the finale was icing on the cake.  Well done.

• Love 1

Great finale!! I was rooting for Eddie, cuz when he first appeared in episode 1, I thought to myself that he was going to win it. He was superb all the way through, and his final meal would have stood up on MC Professionals. He even had me convinced chocolate and prunes are sublime, and that is saying something! : D 

Pookie is one of a kind and an amazing cook who delights people. She did too much for me in her final meal, with the dustings and sprays and smoke and Bunsen burners. And so much gold! 

About the semifinal: Gordon was professional and patient. (Pookie would not survive in Hell's Kitchen!) It's easy to forget his culinary accomplishments when seeing him act a buffoon on US shows. I wonder why Marcus was not at the lunch. He was part of that scene and in the picture they showed. I know from Boiling Point Marcus was an underling of Gordon's and they were super tight. 

• Love 1

Good news for Americans who like to follow rules: there is finally a season (2019, namely) of MasterChef UK uploaded to tubi. 

However, since I’m not one of those people 😁, agreed that Pookie was so fun to watch but really went over the imaginary line in the finale. Still thought she should get the win for her cumulative work but I begrudgingly understand why Eddie won. 

Radha was very impressive for her age; big things to come from her with experience, I hope. 

Edited by lambertman
  • Love 1

Well the season is over, it's been quiet in here 😃 Another wonderful finale at the end of a great season. I want to eat every single dish that was presented during the finale. I was happy with all the finalists and would have been fine with any of them winning. Congratulations to

Spoiler

Charyia

, who hasn't presented a single bad dish during the whole competition. I'm also pretty sure that

Spoiler

Anurag and Omar

will have great carreers as cooks and chefs.

• Like 3
(edited)

Thoroughly enjoyed this season. I think the winner might have even been able to hold their own on Professionals! And they may have been the most delightful contestant to ever compete! I was rooting for them the whole time. ....I was also rooting for that sly little doggie in Instanbul who kept sneaking up on the chef's trying to get a taste! 

PS. @Sarnia, ah, if I knew you were watching, I would have commented more! 😁

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

PS. @Sarnia, ah, if I knew you were watching, I would have commented more! 😁

If I had commented more, you would have known I was watching 😉 so that's on me. I try to watch every season (including Professionals and Celebrity) so let's meet here more regularly next time!

• Like 1
(edited)

Just got caught up! Hooray Charyia! Such a good cook and such a delightful character.  I would've thoroughly understood an Anurag win as well.

Also, Clare Smyth's dessert looks amaaazing. Out of my budget, though :D 

Edited by lambertman
  • Love 1

Program Note: Enjoying seeing Michel Roux Jr.'s in his new "Five Star Kitchen: Britains Next Great Chef". It focuses on five star food with the winner getting to chef at Roux's hotel.   

• Like 1

Has anyone watched Masterchef Ireland? I started it, but quit. The judges are so unlikeable. I've never seen so many rejected people in the auditions and the set looks like crap compared to the other shows. 

• Like 1

I’ve noticed tubi now has all of series 10-18 *except* for series 12 (2016). 

I don’t recall any massive scandal from that year, do any of you? :)

(currently catching up on the most recent Professionals, six eps left!)

I came very late to watching the Celebrity Christmas specials this year as they are usually pretty cheesy, but just discovered that this year the second of these episodes had the critics as contestants! Jay Rayner, Jimi Famurewa, Grace Dent, William Sitwell and Leyla Kazim. It was a really fun episode, nice to see a more human side to them and insteresting also to see them struggle under the same pressures the usual contestants go through. Some emotional bits also. They managed rather well, although I feel that they are better critics than cooks (I have no problem with that).