Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (UK) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It has started! As usual I have no idea who these people are 😄 but I really enjoy the challenges and the pace of the episodes (look at this, Masterchef AU! No wasted time here).

I really want to try John's dumpling platter.

• Love 3

I only know the one bloke from the Apprentice, cuz I watch that too. He's a character, but they all seem alright. 

I did notice a few WTF looks on the faces of the resaurant chef's but surely they know what they are in for and are okay with a trade for the free publicity. 

Oh my, I still have 2 more episodes to catch up on. So I guess they are showing 3 a week? 

So I just binged watched Celebrity Masterchef UK right up to the episode that brought the number of contestants down to 7.  I have never watched this series before.  What a hoot!  I have no idea who any of these people are, but it didn't matter.  After watching MC AU, it was a different experience watching some people who don't cook compete in a cooking competition.  I felt so bad for the contestants having to work in a professional kitchen almost immediately, but I really felt bad for the chefs who had to host them.  I would have been tearing my hair out with some of them, but they were all good sports.  I liked seeing the wall challenge, and it was certainly entertaining.  I think one of the funniest moments from this series was when the blonde lady comedian went to serve her second dish to the guest judges and said, "I'm glad to see you are all still alive," ROFL!  That cracked me up!  She's a funny lady!  Overall I am enjoying this series, and they do have some decent cooks, so it will be interesting to see who wins.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, babs1226 said:

So I just binged watched Celebrity Masterchef UK right up to the episode that brought the number of contestants down to 7.  I have never watched this series before.  What a hoot!  I have no idea who any of these people are, but it didn't matter.  After watching MC AU, it was a different experience watching some people who don't cook compete in a cooking competition.  I felt so bad for the contestants having to work in a professional kitchen almost immediately, but I really felt bad for the chefs who had to host them.  I would have been tearing my hair out with some of them, but they were all good sports.  I liked seeing the wall challenge, and it was certainly entertaining.  I think one of the funniest moments from this series was when the blonde lady comedian went to serve her second dish to the guest judges and said, "I'm glad to see you are all still alive," ROFL!  That cracked me up!  She's a funny lady!  Overall I am enjoying this series, and they do have some decent cooks, so it will be interesting to see who wins.

I just watched the final two episodes - it stays terrific!  A great final three & a great winner. I don't know who you are finding yourself rooting for, but I've liked all three of these from the beginning. I'm already looking forward to seeing them together again judging in future seasons. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, akr said:

I just watched the final two episodes - it stays terrific!  A great final three & a great winner. I don't know who you are finding yourself rooting for, but I've liked all three of these from the beginning. I'm already looking forward to seeing them together again judging in future seasons. 

I just watched the final, and I am very happy with the result!  I think Riyadh was my favorite since he showed up, and I think he deserved the win.  The other two were good as well, and it wouldn't have been terrible if either of them won, but I'm glad it was Riyadh.  I will also look forward to seeing them as guest judges.

• Love 2

An entertaining series overall. Nice to see celebs on something like this not acting OTT and really into it. Didn't stop the producers from a little MC US drama, though - Amar and the Seeing Eye Institute (the blind feeding the blind), and esp. Riyadh's back story, then competing against not one but two Olympic Gold Medalists for the victory, I think we've got a story line!

• Love 1

That was so enjoyable and way  too short! It seemed to fly by. I thought Gethin or Matt would win. Too bad about Gethin's illness as he was doing well.

Nice to see Riyadh win, tho. Honestly, I didn't see that happening. I thought he made a couple of mistakes early on (that I can't recall now lol) but his last couple of meals were fab! Good on him.

• Love 2

Finally finished up the show. Some fun characters. They all seemed to really want to cook to the best of their abilities. The blind gentleman was so amazing, how does he even do all that without cutting or burning himself?! It was very inspiring watching him navigate the team and restaurant challenges. I'm also glad they introduced his sighted helpers. 

When the winner was introduced as a youtube sensation, I was like, UGH!!!!! But he turned out to be a great guy who really had a passion for cooking, and it clearly meant the world to him to be on the show, so good on him.

I've still got the Bake Off: The Professionals finale to savor, but then my cookery programs will have run dry. So if anyone has any recommendations, let me know. I did find one place that has a bunch of old season of MCs from around the world, so if you want that, PM me. Can't wait for MC UK: The Professionals this fall!! 

• Love 4

I haven't watched it yet but there has just been a special Celebrity Masterchef Christmas cookoff with 4 previous contestants of the series (in two episodes I think). Can be fun to watch!

Edit : OK I've watched it now, actually only one episode. It was light and fluff as expected and with some great looking food. I feel that they have crowned the contestant who was the most disappointed from a previous loss, so that's sweet. I felt they were pretty much all the same level.

Looking at John's silhouette I have a feeling he has done a lot of cooking during lockdown.

Edited by Sarnia

There is actually indeed a second episode but with 4 different contestants. For those interested, there is also a similar show with former Masterchef Professsionals contestants (2 episodes, 4 contestants each time, second episode is tonight Wednesday 30th)

21 hours ago, TVbitch said:

It's back! Can't wait to watch the first episode tonight!!

Yes! So glad it's back. I've watched the first episode, it looks like a pretty strong start!

• Love 1

Wow, my memory is so bad! I don't recognize any of these previous winners coming back to judge. Episode 2 even had last year's winner on, and I didn't even recognize him! I guess I could just record one season and keep watching it over and over! : D

Um, is anyone gonna say anything about John's hair... I won't, cuz my own is probably worse! 

Does anyone know which nights it is on and how many episodes a week? 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Wow, my memory is so bad! I don't recognize any of these previous winners coming back to judge. Episode 2 even had last year's winner on, and I didn't even recognize him! I guess I could just record one season and keep watching it over and over! : D

Um, is anyone gonna say anything about John's hair... I won't, cuz my own is probably worse! 

Does anyone know which nights it is on and how many episodes a week? 

I didn't remember last year's winner either. It's been a very long year.

I said to my partner right away that John really needs a hair cut lol.

The show was on Monday-Wed-Friday this past week. There's some variation of it going forward with the second and third episode of the week changing a bit in the TV schedule see here. Monday's time slot is consistent though. There will be a total of 18 episodes. 

• Love 1
On 3/8/2021 at 10:08 PM, TVbitch said:

What! What plate of food to go from quarter to semi-finals?! Did that used to be when they cooked 2 courses for a couple critics?

I believe they do that in the professionals.  They only get one critic in the amateurs. 🙂

I just caught up to date for this season, and the women are kicking butt!  It's so nice to see.  

• Love 1

Some of these people (cruise ship guy!), I am like, what are they even doing there. It's like they were just laying around the house and decided to come on Masterchef! 

I see someone has intervened with John's hair, bless them. 

• Love 1

Really enjoyed the all-feminine quarter final this week. These women are strong! I'm very happy they

Spoiler

have decided to take three and not two to the semi final. Alexina was above the rest, and poor Kerry made an unforgivable mistake, but it would have been unfair to send one of the others home.

• Love 2

Yes, very strong ladies. Poor Kerry, I was rooting for her as well. She's got a great attitude and took it well. What would they have done if she had excelled too! 

I must say I do not car for stone fruit, especially plums. What was that other fruit several of them used. I have never seen it here. It looked like a red grape only larger and round. 

That last quarterfinal was wacky. Even I freaking know what poutine is, Greg! Totally thought Baz would breeze through, but I was glad the older lady and the guy with the crazy dishes made it. I was kind of thinking they might put 3 through. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Even I freaking know what poutine is, Greg!

I snickered at him saying "I don't get it". As a Canadian, I've found alot of Brits don't get poutine. It's too weird for them.

I wasn't interested in Baz. I think Marc is wacky and like Grace said, he has an eccentric air about him and his cooking. It's definitely inventive. 

• Love 1

Ep 16. Indeed what a great group of finalists, but Tom was clearly above the rest. His dish was restaurant worthy. I think the right person went home. I would love to taste

Spoiler

Madeeha's food, it's clearly food I would enjoy tremendously, but I felt she was not diversified enough in her food for this competition.

• Love 2

Ep. 17 - Michel! So glad they have accepted him back into the fold. I love Marcus, but I felt Michel was unceremoniously fired from Masterchef Pro without very good reason. 

Me thinks Michel had a favorite, but they all did well considering the level of the task. I was laughing at how casually they would chat up Michel in the kitchen, and using his first name instead of just saying "yes chef!" like the pros do. 

How have they managed to travel & experience fun, fine dining, buying high quality food back at home plus all the fancy culinary equipment? Are they trust fund babies? 

I was happy for the winner. He's been my favourite for awhile.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:26 AM, rhys said:

How have they managed to travel & experience fun, fine dining, buying high quality food back at home plus all the fancy culinary equipment? Are they trust fund babies? 

Quite sure that show gives them a stipend for the food they bring to the show and for practicing at home. While a couple of them did seem a bit posher or better off than others, I didn't get the sense they were all very well off.

I'm talking about Tom's trips to Thailand, etc. & Alexina's trips to wherever learning complex dishes. 

Tom is FOH & I can't remember what Alexina & Mike did for a living. 

5 hours ago, rhys said:

I'm talking about Tom's trips to Thailand, etc. & Alexina's trips to wherever learning complex dishes. 

Tom is FOH & I can't remember what Alexina & Mike did for a living. 

Going to Thailand from the UK is not that expensive. Thailand itself is quite cheap after air fare. I didn't think it was unreasonable considering Tom seems to be obsessed with food as his main hobby. It also sounded like he's been working as a FOH manager which would have a decent salary in a city centre like Manchester.

Alexina is more well off though. She went to Cambridge and works in marketing or business management.

Looks like a new season of MC AU has started up. Not as good, but good. I will never understand why so many watch that but not UK. Oh well, at least more cookery to keep me company! 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Looks like a new season of MC AU has started up. Not as good, but good. I will never understand why so many watch that but not UK. Oh well, at least more cookery to keep me company! 

I think the longer season is a factor.  You really get to know the contestants.  I enjoy both.  I was very impressed with the contestants on UK this time that had to plate a minimum of 2 dishes every cook.  That was a first.  

• Love 1

MC UK use to have more eps and a slightly longer season. Not as long as the MC AU one though. The AU version is popular in the UK as well. Some of my friends mentioned they liked the challenges more. The AU format pioneered a certain style which the MC USA has adopted. MC UK even briefly tried to capture it with an audition stage but that was rejected by the audience. I prefer the UK version. I find the AU too long for me but I still watch it casually.

• Love 1

I do miss the longer seasons of MC UK. Don't want it to be 60 episodes like AU, but the current way they jump to quarter finals and semi finals, eliminating two and three cooks at a time, is too fast for me. I would like to see the contestants cook a couple more times. 

I skip the AU episodes where the cooks are just replicating some ridiculously intricate dessert or trying to "keep up" with some professional chef. That's just boring to me. And I'm not into the drama and the judges trying to fake out the contestants with their critiques. I really appreciate that MC UK is all about cooking, with no whooping and hollering, and the judges just give straightforward feedback without trying to make it into local theater. Glad they didn't change it and hope they never do! 

• Love 2
On 4/22/2021 at 5:11 PM, TVbitch said:

And I'm not into the drama and the judges trying to fake out the contestants with their critiques. I really appreciate that MC UK is all about cooking, with no whooping and hollering, and the judges just give straightforward feedback without trying to make it into local theater. Glad they didn't change it and hope they never do! 

So much this. I absolutely loved the early seasons of MC AU (I think that's how I discovered the MC franchise) but unfortunately now they have fallen more into drama and over-the-top ooing and aaaing over the dishes, cliffhangers with the flame logo before each commercial break, contestants explaining us the task again after each break, and so on. The season is long, which could be OK, but the episodes are long as well.

I really enjoy the rythm of the UK episodes, the absence of drama and the honesty of the comments. I wouldn't mind a longer season of this.

• Love 2

I thought there was a specific forum for Celebrity Masterchef but I can't find it (maybe I'm mixing it up with Professionals). Anyway the new season has arrived, yay!

Watched the first episode, as always I don't know the people but there are some new challenges and they are fun. I really liked the street food challenge where they had to guess the ingredients from, and then recreate, a popular international street food dish (Danish meatballs this time, it would be fun if they were more adventurous next time).

Masterchef UK is always fun to watch but I like the Celebrity version because the people are here first for fun, and then they catch quickly the competition bug and some of them make impressive progress throughout the series. The humour and light-heartedness is always there but the cooking is serious. So happy!

• Love 3

Ep 4-5 Apparently getting from being a judge on one competition to being a contestant on another one

Spoiler

is not an easy feat!  Hello Patrick, bye Patrick.

Surprisingly good batch of contestants this week (and hey, I've heard of one! Well, of one's husband, but that's a start). I was sad for

Spoiler

Nabil, I liked him and his big bold flavors. Penny on the other hand is amazing.

I had a look at the constestants line-up for next episodes and OMG, Will Kirk will be there! (fan-girling moment). And I also know Dion Dublin! Finally my time spent watching UK TV shows is paying off!

• Love 2

Oh dear, well, Patrick better stick to sewing. Bless his heart, but those dishes looked pretty sad up against the others. I'm afraid we didn't get to see much of his sparkling wit and charm. I would love to come to one of his board game parties, though!   

• Love 2
On 8/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, Sarnia said:

I had a look at the constestants line-up for next episodes and OMG, Will Kirk will be there! (fan-girling moment). And I also know Dion Dublin! Finally my time spent watching UK TV shows is paying off!

I let out such a squeeeeeeee when I saw Will on the preview!!

• Love 1
Spoiler

Well I guess Will should stick to woodworking 😪

Overall last week's constestants were more solid I think.

I was very moved by Melissa saying that she had always left the cooking management to others because of her arm, and that she was discovering new things in herself by being the decision-maker. I have a friend who remained hemiplegic at a young age due to a stroke and it is always a fine line between helping and taking charge. It can be easier for the helper to just do their thing and a lot of communication is needed so that the helped person does not feel put aside.

Edited by Sarnia
  • Love 2
On 9/19/2021 at 1:57 AM, jpgr said:

I enjoyed this series more than I thought I would, having never watched any iteration of Master Chef before.

Lucky you to have a new world to discover! 😃 Masterchef UK is really enjoyable to watch (amateurs, professionnals and celebrity series alike). 
I'm very happy with the winner also, but any of the final 3 would have been fine with me. I really loved once again following their journey into cooking and their sheer happiness at discovering that they can actually be good at this.

• Love 2

They all did really well in semi/finals week. I was impressed. And I really wanted to chow down on some of those savory pies! The one I was rooting for won, although...

Spoiler

I am going to assume her processes were a lot more difficult than Joe's, cuz Joe had no mistakes in his dishes and Kadeena served tempura that was soggy, which is a serious error. 

And was it just me, or was Michel looking especially fine at chef's table. 

PS. Masterchef Professionals up next - my favorite! 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 2