Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (UK) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, rhys said:

So when the professional UK starts again, how will I find its thread & how will we post on it?

This thread is going to serve all Masterchef UK shows including the amateurs, the celebrity edition, and the professionals.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:37 PM, Athena said:

This thread is going to serve all Masterchef UK shows including the amateurs, the celebrity edition, and the professionals.

Well, that's just ridiculous. They are 3 entirely different programs. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, txvoodoo said:

Well, that's just ridiculous. They are 3 entirely different programs. 

If there is enough demand, we can create separate threads for each iteration. I think the professionals will justify a new thread later in the year.

The amateur MasterChef (UK) starts February 11.

• Love 2

I'm watching on dm. I've just watched the first episode. Annabel seems strong for her age. I missed how Lisa was going to smoke her celeriac. I would have liked to have seen that. Her duck looked divine.

This show is pissing me off! It goes too fast. Have they always eliminated half of the contestants at each quarterfinal? Some of them had been brilliant previously and just had an off day or weren't familiar with the ingredient. Some were definitely learning and improving. They deserved another go. It's hard to root for them cuz you don't even get a chance to know them. John is all, "so and so always bring big flavor but has trouble plating." ...Always? They have only cooked twice!

I am particularly mad cuz I was totally looking forward to seeing what else Yui was gonna cook.

Does the show not get good enough ratings to eliminate the quarterfinalists more slowly?  

I am, but don't usually have much to say if no one else is talking.  So - here's a thought:  I wish they'd taken five through again on Friday instead of four. Jasmine was so strong in the earlier segments, and her savory elements for the last round sounded like they worked very well, too. It's probably unfortunate that she said what she did about not liking to measure - they may have taken it at as a sign that she would inevitably run aground down the line on baking challenges; and she probably should have either left off the big cake or tried to do something else to doctor it - a syrup &/or some fruit or cream might have helped, along with a much smaller presentation of it. Still, I'd rather they'd given her one last shot. I thought the top three were pretty clear, and sixth was pretty clear, but it seemed pretty close between her and Jilly for 4th, so I was sort of expecting them to send either 3 or 5 through.

Edited by akr
typo
  • Love 2

I liked Jasmine, too. And she looked like a cute elfin creature with that very heart-shaped face. I wonder how they decide when to put more through. I thought some from the first quarter final were also worthy. Then in the second quarter final, it seemed like they put five through to spare some of their favorites, but some from the first group actually cooked better on the day, and it didn't seem fair. 

Was thrilled they gave Zaq another chance and was hoping to have an American in the competition. He seemed really nice. ...but alas. 

I can't really remember too many people until the finals. Even all the winners they bring back from just a couple years ago, I've only recognized a few of them and I've watched every season. I've got cheesebrain. 

• Love 1

I was too. I think the red head is a favorite. She's been put through twice now on not so great dishes, whereas that was Rebecca's first misstep. 

When did Michel Roux Jr. get welcomed back to the family? I miss him on Professionals after the fall out.  

On 3/19/2019 at 11:26 AM, TVbitch said:

When did Michel Roux Jr. get welcomed back to the family? I miss him on Professionals after the fall out.  

I think Michel was at last year's chefs table. I think public opinion and most industry people sided with Michel after the fall out so it was more a matter of BBC letting things slide. I don't think he's coming back to headlining shows, but it's good to see him on BBC.

We are a couple weeks behind and sad to see a few favourites go. Not loving anyone quite yet. 

• Love 1

I was glad to see Michel. I wish they would let him do Professionals again. Marcus is okay, but Michel had way more personality.

I'm surprised at some who have gone... and some who are still there! Irini seems to be the one to beat.  

I hesitate to read/post here since it's all one stream and I'm behind in viewing. I just watched the episode when 8 (?) chefs worked in the Grocers something kitchen. It was a spice consortium of sorts. I wanted to hear sooo much more about that place. It sounded fascinating. Some of the plates didn't sound spicy enough for that august group.

The most recent chef to leave was a shocker again to me!

Edited by rhys
Spice not slice, grrrr
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Yes that spice trade stuff is interesting. Don't worry, I won't reveal any upcoming spoilers! 

TY, tvbitch, since I'm behind, I am trying to remain unspoiled and drag this guilty pleasure out as long as I can! Appreciate your consideration so much. I was sad & disappointed when the unnamed chef left (in case others are reading here). What a fabulous contestant!

Does anyone know when UK professionals starts?

On 3/29/2019 at 10:09 PM, rhys said:

I just watched the episode when 8 (?) chefs worked in the Grocers something kitchen. It was a spice consortium of sorts. I wanted to hear sooo much more about that place. It sounded fascinating. Some of the plates didn't sound spicy enough for that august group.

This is Grocers' Hall. It no longer functions as spice company or guild, but is more of charitable organisation and ceremonial institution. There is wiki page about it as well. I agree that they ended up with a group of finalists who aren't particularly known for spicing so not surprised it wasn't spicy enough.

We just started the finale. I know the winner through social media, but it never diminishes the suspense of watching all the episodes.

I finally watched the last episode. All I can say is Yay! I'm so pleased & happy for the winner. Wasn't sure if they would make it & I liked the others but was particularly fond of the winner. Seems like the last 4 were quite strong with few errors. 

• Love 1

It was the right final 4 and the winner was a level above. Funny on the UK forum the winner was not well liked and I did not understand why. They thought her/his humility was fake or something. I did not get that at all. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

It was the right final 4 and the winner was a level above. Funny on the UK forum the winner was not well liked and I did not understand why. They thought her/his humility was fake or something. I did not get that at all. 

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. Especially after the comment made by the winner  about wanting to share the trophy. Weird indeed. It would have been fun to have a "where are they now" at the end. I'd like to know if certain people are opening cafes or taverns or restaurants or writing cookbooks or collaborating with each other on cookery projects. 

1 hour ago, rhys said:

Weird indeed. It would have been fun to have a "where are they now" at the end. I'd like to know if certain people are opening cafes or taverns or restaurants or writing cookbooks or collaborating with each other on cookery projects. 

The finalists and winners tend to come back for the judging table and you can get an insight. The best way is through google and social media. Most of them end up having a Twitter, website, IG, etc. A lot of them do end up writing cookbooks and become chefs.

I am surprised about it because I felt Irini was was genuine. She cried at least once when another contestant left and seemed to really love the others. You can see from the home visit that she loves her family and her grandchildren. I think she's a very passionate person as the Gregg and John said.

Celebrity Masterchef is back on! As usual, not being from the UK I have no idea who most of these people are 😉 but it's always great fun to watch. The first challenge was to make a sausage from scratch, which is really not that straightforward I think (although most contestants did really well).

• Love 2

I was surprised too at how well they did at making sausage. I can't imagine trying to load the casing etc & making that work. I've managed to watch 5 episodes& don't know any of these people either. I find that I hate watching them work in the restaurants. Can't really explain why. I think it's cuz it's too early in the season.

• Love 2
On 9/10/2019 at 9:14 PM, rhys said:

I find that I hate watching them work in the restaurants. Can't really explain why. I think it's cuz it's too early in the season.

I fast-forward through this part as well. It makes me uncomfortable I think. Also it's a purely technical challenge, they just have to do what they are told, there is no element of invention on their part (and nothing I can recreate at home 😉  ).

This week's contestants were quite a likeable bunch and somewhat decent cooks. I really like Josie's spirit and I'm sorry she's gone (but it makes sense). Dom  was impressive (I so wanted to taste the lemon cheesecake!).

• Love 2

I've just started this, as I've always avoided the "celebrity" edition, but I took a chance based on Sarnia comment, and I must say, it's not bad! And it's STILL way better than Masterchef US! 

The resaurant challenge is also my least favorite. I would not want that woman with the pink hair making my food. Nor Joey Essex, who was faffing about and did not show proper respect. If I was that restaurant's chef, I would have been exasperated by those two. 

• Love 1

Damn, I am behind you so didn't know who got cut! I'll be posting way later I guess. I just finished watching profiteroles vs millefiore (sp). Sorry my spelling is off as I'm using a kindle.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, rhys said:

Damn, I am behind you so didn't know who got cut! I'll be posting way later I guess. I just finished watching profiteroles vs millefiore (sp). Sorry my spelling is off as I'm using a kindle.

I apologize. Not sure what the proper etiquette is regarding "foreign" shows (as in "not US") so I'll use spoiler tags next time.

PS : it's "millefeuille" (it means roughly "a thousand layer").

• Love 1

I just watched the episode with Kellie, Vicky,Tom & Adam cooking for 3 past cheftestants. This is the first time in my memory that the 4 of them did not describe their dishes to the past chefs. I'm curious about that. The "tape" I watched was edited, so maybe it was just what I happened to find. I just thought it odd.

I really dislike when the cheftestants cook for schools & places of work. Plus they ought to know by now to avoid foods that require peeling.

Edited by rhys
  • Love 1

Finished Celebrity MC and was happy to see Monica's restaurant! That food looked so good. As for the outcome...

Spoiler

I was so glad Vicky didn't win. If this had been MC US, I'm sure they would have given it to her, but they went with the rightful winner. (I have forgotten his name already!) I'm sure Vicky is a nice person and all, but her attention-seeking exuberance would send me running from the room. You could tell Monica was frustrated by it. And a couple people she jumped on did not appear to be receptive to being hugged like that, including John. 

All in all, I enjoyed the show. Now bring on the Professionals!

Two weeks in and there are some real contenders. 

I guess I am the only one watching, such a shame as it is a superb cookery program! 

Like that they have a signature and an invention test before any eliminations. 

2 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Two weeks in and there are some real contenders. 

I guess I am the only one watching, such a shame as it is a superb cookery program! 

Like that they have a signature and an invention test before any eliminations. 

I'm watching too but taking it slowly with all my other shows. This iteration is not as popular as some other shows sadly. 

• Love 1

I'm watching as well and really enjoying the format. But in the early round I always have a hard time sorting out the contestants and getting attached. There are some serious skills in there for sure.

• Love 2

Bummer Amy (the red head) went out last quarterfinal. All her previous dishes were superb. I don't think the quarterfinal, when half are beling eliminated, should be something like a vegan challenge. The challenge clearly favored the cooks from cultures where vegan dishes are a staple. I don't think it showed the true measure of all the cooks' talents. A vegan challenge would be difficult for even an accomplished chef. 

I'm still only at Episode 19 (with 7 left at the end). I really, really want to taste the Pina Colada desert, it looks right up my alley!
I'm very disappointed for

Spoiler

Natacha

. Her first rounds were so great and then it went wrong.

As always it's a really enjoyable show!

OK I caught up right through the end. The right 3 people went in to the last round and I would have been happy with any one of them winning. I'm actually glad that they crowned someone that doesn't go crazy with technical prowess, but tries to pick the right ingredients and make them sing.

I love this show so much, it's so drama free it's really refreshing and the food does look incredible. I wish all the best future in food to all these three finalists.

• Love 2

FINALE SPOILER ALERT!!

Yay! I knew Thomas would win based on how well nearly all of his food was received. He also did great in the professional kitchens proving he could do fancy schmancy technique if he wanted to. It will be a crime if he doesn't make food a career. 

I figured Sandy would go one step too far somewhere with her unique flavor combinations. David seemed to faulter a tiny bit in the last few challenges, but his dishes always looked spectacular. His entre in the finale was crazy gorgeous.

This show (and UK PRO) will always be my favorite cookery shows. I will miss it, but at least MCAU will soften the pain. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, lambertman said:

good news: they shot the new series of Celebrity before lockdown and it’s coming this summer. 

bad news possibly: no Professionals this year? 

😞 Probably not as they normally film late spring/early summer. I am following Monica and Marcus on Instagram cooking at home. Marcus has a video of him filleting a turbot.

I usually don't watch the Celeb edition avidly, but it's the only thing we have left so I guess I have to make it last.