Type keyword(s) to search

Mama June: From Not To Hot: Seasons 1-6

• Start Topic

I really, really wanted June to go to prison, if even for a week, just to wipe that smug shit-eatin' grin off her face and to remind her that she's nothing special and, in fact, is the opposite of special.  Of course, if she HAD done time, the inmates probably would have loved her and made her head swell even more.  Queen of the Cell Block.  I can see that happening.  But man, if she'd gone to prison, wouldn't THAT be must-see TV.  Can you imagine?

I wonder if they had a legitimate birthday party for Ella with, you know, actual other 3-year-olds.  While she looked like she was having a ball, I imagine it would have been more fun for her if there had been other kids her age.

Which begs the question: do any of these people have any actual friends?  Uncle Mike doesn't count.  All we ever see them hang out with is family.  Then again, that's why we're tuning in, to see the family, not their friends.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I found this odd.  During the party the wind kicked up and started blowing stuff over.  Big stuff.  Josh, who usually steps right up to the plate, stay seated in his chair and covered his head!  He literally covered his head!  All the females jumped up to save the day, I will add.  I didn't notice if Geno and Sugar Bear helped or just sat there, but Josh sure did.  Sit there, that is.  June comforted Ella, so I'll give her a pass.

Alana is obviously looking for a big weight loss journey next season.  They've been building up to it for a couple of weeks now (or more) and this episode just convinced me that's the plan.

I don't know if Jennifer is actually like the character she plays on the show, but she's got to be one of the most hateful people I've ever seen.  I can't stand to look at her face or hear her voice, but it's like the proverbial trainwreck ... I just can't look away.  Doesn't she have a son?  That would be Alana's step-brother, right?  Wonder why he isn't included as part of the family.  Maybe he doesn't want to be.  Can't blame him.

I doubt Jessica actually lives with Josh and Pumpkin, but if she does, I can see that she's a big help to Pumpkin.  She seems to have a good, close relationship with her niece and that's a good thing for everybody.  Especially with a little Pumpkin on the way.  That family doesn't believe in producing boys, does it?

I was kind of surprised seeing that Sugar Bear has a real, actual job (last week's episode).  I wondered how he supported himself and his wretched wife.

Does anybody know how much these people get paid per episode?

• Love 6
(edited)

My guess is that other people don't want their kids shown on this show.   I bet many people wouldn't want to advertise that they associate with a bunch of convicted felons (yes, in some cases only).     I certainly wouldn't want to advertise that I even knew June, Geno, Sugar Bear or any of the adult crowd, but fortunately I don't know any of them.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is that other people don't want their kids shown on this show.   I bet many people wouldn't want to advertise that I associated with a bunch of convicted felons (yes, in some cases only).     I certainly wouldn't want to advertise that I even knew June, Geno, Sugar Bear or any of the adult crowd, but fortunately I don't know any of them.    

There was an episode not too long ago where Alana was supposed to be having a slumber party with two friends from school.  I can't remember much about it, but I think it got broken up early, and one of the girls went home really early.  I want to say that her parents were late in realizing what this was and went over and picked her up, but I can't be sure.

I wonder, given that they live in the deep south and are as ignorant as you get, if they are racist, and if there's been any effort by the producers to shield viewers from any hint of this.  I can't remember seeing any person of color on this show.  I could easily be wrong wrong wrong about this; my memory is faulty as all get out.

Edited:  Well, duh.  One of the girls invited to the slumber party was African-American.

Edited by Mothra
  • Love 5
On 5/24/2021 at 12:51 PM, Mothra said:

There was an episode not too long ago where Alana was supposed to be having a slumber party with two friends from school.  I can't remember much about it, but I think it got broken up early, and one of the girls went home really early. 

My recollection is that she invited more girls, but only 2 of them came. I thought there was some sad face drama about this. It was back when June and Geno's hi-jinks had them in the tabloids every few weeks.

One of the girls invited to the slumber party was African-American.

I remember it as both girls, but whatever.

I can't remember seeing any person of color on this show.

Actually, I think June and Sugar Bear have had a number of Black friends/acquaintances appear over the years. They've also shopped at little boutiques and such that seem to be run by (?) Black people. And I can't recall any comments from the cast suggesting even casual racism.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Actually, I think June and Sugar Bear have had a number of Black friends/acquaintances appear over the years. They've also shopped at little boutiques and such that seem to be run by (?) Black people. And I can't recall any comments from the cast suggesting even casual racism.

Thanks.  My own bigotry is showing--I'm prejudging based on geography and class.

• Love 3

If Alana's Weight Loss Journey is going to be the theme of next season, let me save us all some time.  Alana will be given a limited-calorie diet and a personal trainer, who will have her exercising every day.  She may or may not lose some weight, but will regain it almost immediately, because diets don't work in the long run.

Everyone in the cast will participate in the diet/exercise program, and some of them will be successful in keeping weight off--I'm betting Pumpkin because she has shown that she is willing to commit to changing her eating habit--but most will be back in Fat City by the next season.

Everyone will yell.  Everybody on this show is like my grandmother using the telephone.  She believed that because the person she was talking to was not within ear-shot, she had to raise her voice whenever she talked on the phone.  Ditto my husband, who does understand how telephony works but is a little deaf.  Everyone on this show yells, all the time.  None of them has an Indoor Voice.  Not one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
On 5/1/2021 at 1:31 PM, kicotan said:

It always struck me as creepy-father/daughter date night or dances.  I never saw mother/son date night or dances, but that would be just as creepy.  Like purity-ring creepy...

“...A common tradition is for a parent to buy a purity ring for a child. This exchange typically takes place in adolescence. In many cases, the parent of the opposite sex presents the ring to the child. The father gives his daughter a purity ring, or the mother gives her son a purity ring, for example...”

https://mountzjewelers.com/blogs/mountz-jewelers/the-history-and-meaning-behind-the-purity-ring

just ewwww.

Its the new and improved Chastity Belt for the next generation 

• Love 3

June is disgusting.  She is perhaps more vile and self-centered than Teresa Guidice and that is a high (or low?) bar to clear.  

She really thinks just because she is 'sober' now that everyone should just forget all of her horrible selfish actions like they never occurred.  I actually think GENO is the voice of reason and he actually seems contrite about his role in everything that went on.  I wasn't really following the season where all the addiction issues were going on, but I have the feeling that June was probably the one that initiated the drug use.  

I do have to say that from what we see on the show, Josh seems like a pretty solid and caring man.  I hope Pumpkin realizes what she has there.  I'm also impressed with the way he cares for and is protective of Alana.  He also actually seems to work a real job  instead of being lazy and trying to make a living off of a show that won't last forever (cough... Zach Roloff....) 

• Love 10
23 hours ago, Mothra said:

If Alana's Weight Loss Journey is going to be the theme of next season, let me save us all some time.  Alana will be given a limited-calorie diet and a personal trainer, who will have her exercising every day.  She may or may not lose some weight, but will regain it almost immediately, because diets don't work in the long run.

Everyone in the cast will participate in the diet/exercise program, and some of them will be successful in keeping weight off--I'm betting Pumpkin because she has shown that she is willing to commit to changing her eating habit--but most will be back in Fat City by the next season.

If Alana is away from her Mom and Pumpkin is the one providing the meals, there is hope.   They tried weight loss before but Mom was in charge and you know she doesn't care to learn anything.    But Pumpkin not wanting her daughter to grow up like Alana may be willing to learn and commit to the changes.    It might stick this time. 

This show would be much better if they just got rid of Mama June.   Make it about Pumpkin trying to navigate being a mother and also having to care for her teenage sibling.   Anything to get Mama off our screens and end her grifting.

• Love 8

I think the terms of June's probation include employment so she probably needs the show for a job.

Ella is a cute thing but the way they yell and argue around her (even if it is scripted) and the way she gets attention for doing naughty things they think are cute for tv... Pumpkin should just pull the plug on this show and take care of her family. But I am sure the money is very appealing.

I fear if Alana gets a boyfriend that gives her the attention she craves she will end up another teen pregnancy. Also she still wants June's love and she notices how June goes crazy for the little kids like "Tink" (Ella) so I can see in her mind how she would think a baby would bring her closer to June.

• Love 3

Jeez.   I feel so lonely!! I'm the only one watching this??

OK. Well.  Junebug doesn't end up in jail, for some strange reason.  Still haven't heard about Geno.  At least he seems to be the voice of reason?? YMMV.

Happy that the baby is a boy.

That is all I've got!

• Love 7

I could definitely watch a show with just Ella and Pumpkin.  Her Banana Joe comment totally caught Pumpkin off guard and had the whole crew laughing - you could hear them in the background. 

• Love 5

I actually watched twice, to see the 'gender reveal party' again; I thought it was kind of adorable to see Ella hamming it up about her 'baby bruddah'. 

June's outfit (grey tee, black leggings) was 5 sizes too small; she looked like a balloon animal.

The 'scared straight' sequence kind of makes me wonder exactly how much free time Sheriff Brunson has. Also why doesn't he get a vest that covers his entire stomach?

• Love 10

I actually watched twice, to see the 'gender reveal party' again; I thought it was kind of adorable to see Ella hamming it up about her 'baby bruddah'. 

June's outfit (grey tee, black leggings) was 5 sizes too small; she looked like a balloon animal.

The 'scared straight' sequence kind of makes me wonder exactly how much free time Sheriff Brunson has. Also why doesn't he get a vest that covers his entire stomach?

My thought was an over-stuffed sausage about to burst at the seams. This testifies to the fact that she has zero self awareness and don't even get me started that she thinks she will be Martha Stewart in lock up! 🤨

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Ok, Fancypants, just who the hell do you think you are?

j/k. (If you know, you know…)

• LOL 1

I kept thinking why would any sheriff be associated with this show other than really arresting them?   I didn't even finish the episode.  June is totally annoying with her "I put it out in the universe" garbage.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I was happy for the excitment over getting the first baby boy in a long time in the family. I was more happy to see the cake baked by Ella and Pumpkin and not some crazy over the top paid for by the shpw reveal. It is little scences like this I believe are real and I wish this show had more of them. 

While I believe most of the show is scripted, it must be so confusing for Alana to hear and see so many different opinions on eating healthy, diabetes and losing wait, 

The show only has 1 or 2 weeks left? I wonder how they will tie it all up? We have to see the big does Alana have diabetes reveal and will she go to jail story come to an end. June said in a recent interview they are still filming this season so I assumed that meant they filmed the court hearing and are finishing the talking heads and finale. 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 7

June is such a nasty thing. Can't say one good thing about her. She needs to not be on the show at all. Why does she have her eyes closed to half slits all of the time? I know she doesn't see well, but that is no reason to keep her eyes almost shut? And she shouts instead of talks.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Why does she have her eyes closed to half slits all of the time? I know she doesn't see well, but that is no reason to keep her eyes almost shut?

I can't stand the woman, but come on - she's completely blind in one eye, and has very poor/deteriorating vision in the other. She's legally blind, and can't even drive. It's possible whatever caused her vision problems might include some light sensitivity. She also might find that squinting helps her focus (I'm very near-sighted, and I def. squint when I don't have glasses on). 

• Love 12

I am sorry if i offend anyone who likes them, but Alana's nails in the wing scarfing scene. Awful looking.

Oh vey the looks on their faces when Geno ordered a salad. To them lettuce and tomatoes is just crap that ruins their cheeseburgers.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

June supposedly has cataracts that can not be removed? I had cataracts. Before removal, squinting didn't help my vision any. After removal, I was very very sensitive to all light. For a blind person she sure made it inside that gas station at a fast pace..a place that was unknown to her? Hopefully squinting does help her vision.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, winsomeone said:

June supposedly has cataracts that can not be removed? I had cataracts. Before removal, squinting didn't help my vision any. After removal, I was very very sensitive to all light. For a blind person she sure made it inside that gas station at a fast pace..a place that was unknown to her? Hopefully squinting does help her vision.

She was supposedly born with the cataracts and she said something like her mother either did not want her to get surgery or did not get it dx in time and then they were not able to be removed. Then June was against Anna's daughter having the extra thumb removed. I always found it kind of sad how some of the fears got passed down to from generation to generation  (as well as the generations being so close together, June could be a great grandma in her 40's!) . I just wish the show would get the Pumpkin. Alana, and Jessica some mentors. Maybe part of the payment from the show could be the GED class pumpkin wants to take or money in account for college or trade school.  All this free dentist work and plastic surgery and photo shoots are not what they need as much as some direction. I think all three girls on the show could find something they loved to do (Pumpkin in recent interviews you can telling us how much she wants a 9-5 job and a normal middle class life) . 

I hope if the show comes back , that it is minus Sugarbear/Jennifer and Mama/Geno and it would be called Mama June's daughter's transformation. Of course with manager Gina, I doubt she would go this route. 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 10

I read that Pumpkin wants to go to school to be a nurse.  I could totally see her working with the elderly.  She seems to have a lot of patience.

Josh was so tickled that they're getting a son.  I think he was afraid to hope for a boy.

• Love 9

I know its been said before, but the family really needs to cut out the baby talk to Ella. She seems to be an intelligent child. Stop dumbing her down!!!

Good for Pumpkin for standing up to June and telling her she can’t move in. However, I have a strong feeling it won’t hold.

• Love 14

I'd like to see for her community service June scrubbing toilets or picking up trash on the side of the road, but it will probably be something like recording an anti-drug message.

Hopefully if there is a next season it will be Alana's turn to lose weight. I know her schtick is being "sassy" but she gets annoying. She needs to stop arguing and listen to the advice for her health. On that Florida trip every time they showed her she was eating and then the dinners she orders are huge.

I really hope Pumpkin doesn't let everybody including June live with her, I think it would be hard on her marriage. Pumpkin has talked about a normal life and not having Ella in the spotlight but Ella was shown a lot this season, they like the show money so I think they will do whatever they have to do to keep the gravy train rolling.

• Love 8

God, I sure hope Pumpkin doesn't let that loud filthy mouthed June live with her. Just what you want around your babies. Plus she is so over sexed, she would have a parade of men in that house before she is done. She would just take over like she always has, and that is bad for everyone.

• Love 10
On 6/12/2021 at 5:01 AM, winsomeone said:

God, I sure hope Pumpkin doesn't let that loud filthy mouthed June live with her. Just what you want around your babies. Plus she is so over sexed, she would have a parade of men in that house before she is done. She would just take over like she always has, and that is bad for everyone.

I can see Mama June moving in as part of the show. 

• Love 6
On 6/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, Kathy said:

Doesn't she get all this stuff for free?

She thought she was. If I read the article correctly, she went to get new implants or veeners. The dentist removed the old ones and did not replace them. There was a disagreement about the promotions June was suppose to do in exchange for the free dental work and now June is left without the final set of teeth. 

I kind of feel bad for June of this one. I do not find the dentist fun (I can't have novacaine so imagine a fillings and root canals without it) and I can't imagine how June feels having the veeners off and the nubby teeth showing and the implants gone. That has to hurt and then you worry if she gets pain meds since she has addiction issues. 

As for the season finale, I hope that June does not move in with the family. I feel bad that she is legally blind but at age 41, she needs to learn skills and confidence to live on her own. She needs to pick a place with public transit. My college age son will never be able to drive (3 type of epilepsy) and he knew his choices in life, what he studies, his future career has to center around being able to live somewhere that has public transit or is walkable. It is sad that Mama June seems stuck like a teenager and does not seem to have the skills of an adult. She needs to gain independence  skills and learn not to need a man or her kids for day to day life. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, silverspoons said:

It is sad that Mama June seems stuck like a teenager and does not seem to have the skills of an adult.

This is what this show wants its viewers to believe when the reality is that June is nothing but a grifter, a scammer and a child-rape enabler. She is not the podunk, backwoods fat lady we have been conditioned by this (and her former) show to believe she is. Her sleazy agent and sleazy WeTV gets much of the credit for for this but June has the biggest hand in creating the oh-shucks-poor-me character to cover up the awfulness that she was and always will be.

I'm sure Anna -- her missing daughter on her TV adventures -- would agree. 

As for her dental problem -- pay for the damn teeth yourself. This show isn't paying her minimum wage to appear on it.

I haven't seen the show at all this season but if she's going blind? Good. Enjoy your karma, June. 

There is no way Alana can use her phone or computer or even write with  those long ridiculous nails. Surely she doesn't wear them full time? Kids that age usually live on their phone, texting and playing games.

• Love 3

My question is that even though June didn't have proper medical care as a kid, couldn't some of the clinics in this country that do excellent work do something to help her now?   I imagine that a cataract operation wouldn't work now, but maybe cornea transplant combined with lens replacement, or some other technique could help her.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Showthyme said:

I can see Mama June moving in as part of the show. 

If Josh is to be believed, no way in hell.  And it's time for Jessica to get out as well.   She and Mama can move in together and get a small apartment.  I was very annoyed that Alana that they should "make room for Mama."  No.  Sorry.  Mama HAD a place to live - she sold it for gambling and drugs.  "Oh, I NEED my family now."  Sure you do, you worthless sack of shit.  You need them to provide housing, food and a taxi service for you.  

If I had a mother like that sow, I'd slam the door and never, EVER look back.  

• Love 12

Alana is STILL referring to herself as Honey Boo Boo? Child, that ship has sailed. Hopefully you will listen to your sister that everyone close to you needs to eat healthier. It just requires a little bit of self discipline.

• Love 5
On 6/14/2021 at 1:23 AM, silverspoons said:

She thought she was. If I read the article correctly, she went to get new implants or veeners. The dentist removed the old ones and did not replace them. There was a disagreement about the promotions June was suppose to do in exchange for the free dental work and now June is left without the final set of teeth. 

I kind of feel bad for June of this one. I do not find the dentist fun (I can't have novacaine so imagine a fillings and root canals without it) and I can't imagine how June feels having the veeners off and the nubby teeth showing and the implants gone. That has to hurt and then you worry if she gets pain meds since she has addiction issues. 

As for the season finale, I hope that June does not move in with the family. I feel bad that she is legally blind but at age 41, she needs to learn skills and confidence to live on her own. She needs to pick a place with public transit. My college age son will never be able to drive (3 type of epilepsy) and he knew his choices in life, what he studies, his future career has to center around being able to live somewhere that has public transit or is walkable. It is sad that Mama June seems stuck like a teenager and does not seem to have the skills of an adult. She needs to gain independence  skills and learn not to need a man or her kids for day to day life. 

Does she have Macular Degeneration? it causes blindness eventually

9 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

Does she have Macular Degeneration? it causes blindness eventually

I think she does. But she talks so loudly that I wonder if she has a hearing problem as well.  We hear you - there is no need to yell your dialogue.

• Love 2

If I remember correctly she had cataracts when she was born and they were not removed.  I think ( would not swear to this) that because they were not removed the retina was damaged because it  did not receive the correct amount of ilght. Now that may not be precise but from my understanding if childhood cataracts are not removed early tge eyes are damaged and cannot be repaired. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1