Type keyword(s) to search

Mama June: From Not To Hot: Seasons 1-6

• Start Topic

They need to stop filming for Alanna’s sake. My heart broke for her trying to pack and crying while the cameras were following every move.

June is a drug addict but also mentally ill I believe and doesn’t belong on TV. I find Jennifer and Sugar Bear repulsive and don’t want to see them either.

• Love 9

Everyone including production knew about her drug use.

“June went to rehab at the end of February in Georgia after they wrapped filming Season 3 of her show. She was in there voluntarily, but she left and was on a drugs binge until she got arrested.”

Mama June, 39, has been battling a substance abuse habit that has been an open secret among her family and friends – that’s what insiders are telling HollywoodLife EXCLUSIVELY. On March 13 the mom-of-four was arrested in Alabama with her boyfriend Eugene “Geno” Doak, 43, on drug possession charges. News that the Mama June: From Not To Hot star was arrested for “possession of drug paraphernalia” and for carrying a substance that the Macon County District Attorney’s Office believes to be “crack cocaine” stunned her army of fans. Nearly three months later, WE tv is addressing the issue with a special episode, The Road To Intervention. Due to air on May 24 at 9pm EST, it will show June’s kids pleading with her to get help. But two sources who have known June Shannon and her family for years say that her drug use is no surprise to those close to her, even if it’s a revelation to her fans.

“I’m so shocked this didn’t get out long before,” one insider said. “When you’d go to her house she would be out of it like you’re out [of it] before you get put under before surgery. She was wiped.” The source also claimed that Geno – who has been convicted of burglary, theft and parole violations, according to police reports – “looked out of it too.” The person also said that June “has been high when she is with him.”

The insider claimed that the situation got so bad that the production team behind her hit show urged her to get treatment in February in Georgia where she lives. “There were needles everywhere in her home. Alana [was sent] to live with Pumpkin,” our source told us at the time of the TV star’s arrest. “June went to rehab at the end of February in Georgia after they wrapped filming Season 3 of her show. She was in there voluntarily, but she left and was on a drugs binge until she got arrested.”

A second source echoed what the first insider said. “I’m disgusted there has not been change in June in all these years,” the person said. “She is still blaming others and has a drug problem. Since the very beginning there’s been issues and this is nothing new.”

June and her family gained fame in 2012 when she and her youngest daughter, Alana “Honey Boo Boo” Thompson, now 13, became fan favorites on Toddlers and Tiaras, TLC’s show about child pageant stars. They were such a hit with viewers that year they got their own show, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, which also featured June’s other daughters Anna “Chickadee” Cardwell, 24, Jessica “Chubbs” Shannon, 22, and Lauryn “Pumpkin” Shannon, 19. June’s then partner, Alana’s dad, Mike “Sugar Bear” Thompson, 47, was also a co-star.

Mama June was arrested on drug charges in Alabama on March 13. (Macon County Alabama Sheriff/Shutterstock)

The family’s string of good luck came to an end in October 2014 when TLC cancelled the show after TMZ posted a photo of June lying in bed with her ex-boyfriend, convicted child molester Mark McDaniel. Amid reports that the two were secretly dating again, June’s oldest daughter Anna claimed that she was molested by McDaniel when she was 8, according to CNN. “June would always protect her men over her own kids,” our second source said. “June and Geno have been dating for the past three years, but she’s the one who runs the show and calls the shots in her relationships. June does what she wants to do and guys are puppies. She tells them what to do and she also sticks by her men over her children.” The second insider claimed that June and her family “lived in filth,” before adding, “They’re their own worst enemy.”

HollywoodLife reached out to WE tv, which airs June’s current show, From Not To Hot, and a rep responded with, “No comment.” We also reached out to Mama June’s rep and to her daughter Pumpkin, and we’ve yet to receive a reply.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4

Funny that the drug secrets are getting out yet the d*ck pics Gina claimed were all over the place aren't.  Not saying Geno hasn't been hitting on other women, but Gina's hysteria (bad acting) about the d*ck pics was just another ploy to keep us off the drug trail. Just like Gina's staged phone call to June outside the house in last night's episode about the d*ck pics where the sound and quality of the call sounded like it came from the studio.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I did not think Jennifer and Sugar bear offered anything to the last episode except Jennifer trying to tease people to watch next week and see who gets custody . Tease viewers about who loses weight, fine, but custody, not cool.  Obviously , Alana is with Pumpkin right now. 

I think Pumpkin has matured and I'm happy she is able to care for Alana. I am not sure about her getting Ella into pageants. I know that it is something Pumpkin grew up around but it is costly and maybe best for her family to keep out of any spotlight. 

I kind of wish we got an opinion from Jessica last night. I respect she wants her own life and not to be filmed. just curious what her take is since it seems like Pumpkin tells her what is going on and then she comes and sees her mom in person for the first time in months. It was also telling that June did not run up and hug her? the daughter who graduates college, should be the apple of June's eye, and no love? 

I'm curious how Wetv will wrap this up. We know June is not getting any help currently. Will they have another season with Pumpkin and Josh as the leads? Viewers will want updates but will the show stay on?

• Love 8
1 minute ago, silverspoons said:

I kind of wish we got an opinion from Jessica last night. I respect she wants her own life and not to be filmed. just curious what her take is since it seems like Pumpkin tells her what is going on and then she comes and sees her mom in person for the first time in months. It was also telling that June did not run up and hug her? the daughter who graduates college, should be the apple of June's eye, and no love? 

Jessica should be commended for not living off the reality show and graduating from college. I hope Alana doesn't become a teen mom like Pumpkin and is more like Jessica that she goes to college and gets away from the show business/reality tv life. I don't know if Pumpkin graduated from high school.

I think June saw Pumpkin as being loyal to her so she became the favorite. Pumpkin backed June when she denied her pedo boyfriend abused Anna. Pumpkin covered June's drug use because she depends on the show income too.

My speculation is that June likes her kids to be more like her and not better themselves too much. Also she obviously loves the grandbaby.

I am leery that Pumpkin put Ella in a pageant after saying on the show earlier this season she didn't want to because of how pageants affected Alana.

I am glad Pumpkin is looking out for Alana and hopefully Pumpkin has matured enough to be a good influence.

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

I did not think Jennifer and Sugar bear offered anything to the last episode except Jennifer trying to tease people to watch next week and see who gets custody . Tease viewers about who loses weight, fine, but custody, not cool.  Obviously , Alana is with Pumpkin right now. 

I think Pumpkin has matured and I'm happy she is able to care for Alana. I am not sure about her getting Ella into pageants. I know that it is something Pumpkin grew up around but it is costly and maybe best for her family to keep out of any spotlight. 

I'm curious how Wetv will wrap this up. We know June is not getting any help currently. Will they have another season with Pumpkin and Josh as the leads? Viewers will want updates but will the show stay on?

There's a reason the producers are pushing the Dating Abuse narrative and ignoring the drug abuse. They need to secure their jobs. They want MJ to be seen as a victim. Next season we will see MJ getting her act together in the new entitled show Mama June: from Victim to Victor. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Did anybody notice Lauryn said that her mother sends them money?  She and Josh should have their own money from the show, not have to depend on MJ. 

I'm responding to my own post because I didn't make it clear what I was trying to say.  I don't mean Lauryn & Josh shouldn't have to depend on June for money.  I meant if they're getting paid, I wonder why they need her to send them money and wonder if perhaps June is somehow getting her grubby paws on all their incomes and that's why the kids need her to send them money.  Surely they would stand up for themselves and demand being allowed to keep their own paychecks, but who knows?  This group and this show is just one big strange circus.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I'm responding to my own post because I didn't make it clear what I was trying to say.  I don't mean Lauryn & Josh shouldn't have to depend on June for money.  I meant if they're getting paid, I wonder why they need her to send them money and wonder if perhaps June is somehow getting her grubby paws on all their incomes and that's why the kids need her to send them money.  Surely they would stand up for themselves and demand being allowed to keep their own paychecks, but who knows?  This group and this show is just one big strange circus.

All of the reality shows that we have seen contracts from like Gosselins, Duggars , Browns, they all get paid as a family, usually under an LLC and then money is moved into other accounts. I would guess June controls the family account from the show? 

While it is actually good to here that June is giving Pumpkin some money and not gambling it all away, I hope Pumpkin can save some of it. It seems like there is a low cost of living (or housing ) at least where they live. If Josh works and Pumpkin is selling some candles and jewelry online maybe they can save up enough to put a down payment on a modest home and have some stability. 

My guess is when June says she was sending Pumpkin money it was for taking care of Alana.  I never thought I would see June blow money, how does someone go from coupon clipping and hoarding Tide pods to letting Geno swipe her credit card all night at a bar and now the gambling. I hope if there is another season, Pumpkin gets her own contract.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, silverspoons said:

how does someone go from coupon clipping and hoarding Tide pods to letting Geno swipe her credit card all night at a bar and now the gambling. I hope if there is another season, Pumpkin gets her own contract.

Drugs.   And always putting the man first.

18 hours ago, druzy said:

“She is still blaming others and has a drug problem.

She did the same thing when she got caught with the pedophile boyfriend.   She was mad at others for putting the information out there.   Not herself for getting back with the guy who molested her daughter.    She never takes responsibility for anything.    

They need to cancel this show so Alana can have a normal life.    If MJ descends further into drugs because she doesn't have the show, oh well.   

• Love 5
22 hours ago, druzy said:

“June would always protect her men over her own kids,” our second source said. “June and Geno have been dating for the past three years, but she’s the one who runs the show and calls the shots in her relationships. June does what she wants to do and guys are puppies. She tells them what to do and she also sticks by her men over her children.”

(Druzy, sorry I didn't know how to make a quote in a quote here, I do realize this came from a website and not from you)

This quote really seems contradictory. June 'runs the show and calls the shots', yet she's the one staggering around in the rain pleading for Geno to come back even when she knows he's cheating and stealing from her. It looks more like Geno controlling June, imo.

17 hours ago, druzy said:

There's a reason the producers are pushing the Dating Abuse narrative and ignoring the drug abuse. They need to secure their jobs. They want MJ to be seen as a victim.

Again, this doesn't seem logical. Why couldn't June be the victim of Geno hooking her on drugs? She could go into rehab the way she went into weight loss, I guess, although I certainly wouldn't be interested in watching it. I also don't think the appeal of the Mama June series has been victimhood at all; it's been 'point and laugh'. 

• Love 6

If I recall correctly, after the MJ and Sugar Bear wedding, it came out that it wasn't a legal marriage.   I'm not sure she's ever been married.    Hopefully, Geno won't end up being her first legal relationship, because you know he'll want his cut of her money, and house, and everything he can get.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, silverspoons said:

All of the reality shows that we have seen contracts from like Gosselins, Duggars , Browns, they all get paid as a family, usually under an LLC and then money is moved into other accounts. I would guess June controls the family account from the show? 

What constitutes a family?  Does June get the paychecks for SB & Jennifer too?  I consider them a separate family.  And now that Lauryn & Josh are married, they would be a separate family as well.  How about Doe Doe and her daughter?  Gina?  I'm not questioning YOU; I'm just wondering how this works with so many individual factions.  It makes more sense to me for each person to get their own paycheck.  But what do I know about reality television contracts?  Nothing.

34 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If I recall correctly, after the MJ and Sugar Bear wedding, it came out that it wasn't a legal marriage.   I'm not sure she's ever been married.    

It was never intended to be a legal marriage.  June was "afraid" of marriage so that camo to-do was a "commitment ceremony" and they didn't sell it as anything but.  No, she's never been married.  Zero wedding rings but she DOES have a promise ring from Geno!  Age 39, 4 kids and 3 grandkids later ..... and she has a promise ring.

There's been some speculation about Lauryn's bare-bone apartment.  My guess is that what we see on TV, a couple of lawn chairs and a card table, are in a fake empty apartment and she, Josh, Ella and Alana live in a real, unidentified apartment complete with furniture, baby toys, and lots of clutter (read: lived in).  No way they live in a place as sparse as is portrayed on the show.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

There's a reason the producers are pushing the Dating Abuse narrative and ignoring the drug abuse. They need to secure their jobs. They want MJ to be seen as a victim.

Again, this doesn't seem logical. Why couldn't June be the victim of Geno hooking her on drugs? She could go into rehab the way she went into weight loss, I guess, although I certainly wouldn't be interested in watching it. I also don't think the appeal of the Mama June series has been victimhood at all; it's been 'point and laugh'. 

The  quote is from me regarding the producers pushing the Dating Abuse narrative. The other quote was from the article.

I NEVER said that the appeal to the series is victimhood. The producers are trying to push the victim narrative on MJ by calling her a victim of dating abuse instead of calling her out on her consensual use of drugs. Geno did not lay her down and tie her up and make her use drugs. I'm sure she's been using drugs way before Geno came along. They won't have a show therefore they won't be collecting paychecks if they show the truth. They will have another season of the show if MJ is shown as a victim of dating abuse and they won't have a show if they show that MJ has been abusing drugs and that production sat by and did nothing when minors were involved.

• Love 7

The reporting on sites like starcasm, TMZ,  etc. is always garbage.  They build articles from what they see on TV and make up "inside sources".  Their inside sources are often exactly what we all saw or pure speculation. 

June has always made horrible decisions when it comes to men, putting them ahead of her children over and over.  She chose to date the man who molested her daughter after he was released from prison.  She would likely still be with him if it was not exposed in the media. While we are getting to see it in all of its horror as she chases a clearly impaired Geno through a parking lot, this is not new behavior.  She has been chasing loser men her whole life.  No matter how many times June in the past June told us she loves herself and she is sexy and appealing, clearly at her core she does not feel that way or she wouldn't keep doing this.  

Are the drugs new or was she using before? Can't be sure.  Geno didn't tie her down and force crack smoke into her lungs.  It is her desperation to hold onto this loser that had her join him in his drug use.  And now she's an addict whose entire life is falling apart and who is again harming her family.  I feel sorry for all of her children, those that got away and those that are still in her orbit.  From the way that Pumpkin has stepped up and how she talks to June, I suspect she had very little childhood, being forced to be an adult to emotionally support her highly dysfunctional mother her whole life.    

And yes, I have now put much more thought into these folks, especially June and Geno, than they warrant.  

• Love 11
(edited)

So. I finally got to watch this a day or two ago and I guess the last episode, possibly for good, will be next Friday.

I am not sure what to say anymore except that this clearly isn't being scripted, it's just gone totally off the rails. It is very sad. I don't know how they can continue on with this series unless June gets herself into rehab and successfully completes it, and gets away from Geno.  I am very sad for Alana.  She needs her mother, or at the very least, a responsible adult at home to guide her.  Pumpkin is just a kid with way too many responsibilities already. It should be Doe Doe. Even Jennifer would be a better option. 

I think it is inaccurate to say the show has been ignoring the drug abuse when they directly addressed the drug arrest on the most recent episode and previously, showed Josh holding a bag of "substance" and implying Geno and/or June was using. And yes, the dating abuse is more than just a narrative, Geno does have June under his thumb and is mentally abusing her. In that respect she is being victimized. 

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 7
(edited)
15 hours ago, slasherboy said:

What constitutes a family?  Does June get the paychecks for SB & Jennifer too?  I consider them a separate family.  And now that Lauryn & Josh are married, they would be a separate family as well.  How about Doe Doe and her daughter?  Gina?  I'm not questioning YOU; I'm just wondering how this works with so many individual factions.  It makes more sense to me for each person to get their own paycheck.  But what do I know about reality television contracts?  Nothing.

These are the only facts, like contracts that have been posted or actual people spoken out. On my big Fat Life with Whitney, her friends are paid very little, but paid, under 5k a season was reported, but also given the free trips, outings, food as other benefits. I would assume minor parts Like Doe Doe and Niece are like this.  Now with the Duggars, Jill's husband was very vocal about he and Jill not being paid, that Jim Bob got the money and he would use the money to buy maybe a house for the couple to live in but then their were strings attached and control. the sister wives kids are not paid separate but it does seem like the family gives the kids money for college or housing and the show has made the married couples money off of MLM (you would not believe how much they are making off selling clothes and makeup to fans) so their is a benefit to being on reality TV even if you are not paid. Jen and Bill of the little couple make approx 14k per show (this was in a  lawsuit so confirmed) and they say they are putting it away for the kids, I believe that (but a doctor and a business owner do not need extra money like Honey boo boo). I know on the one time shows, lets say escaping polygamy, they show a girl leaving the faith. She gets 5k to start her life, no one else gets paid in the family or are shown doing her hair or helping her get a place (the main 3 girls get a salary per season) . So many extras family or background do not get paid or very little.

My guess with June, just as someone who has searched and read as many of these contracts (I actually have been an extra in reality TV filming, so has my family and many neighbors, they film in my area a lot, and I have never gotten a dime, but have HUGE 50 page long contracts for a 10 minute clip that I am just in the background, so the contracts fascinate me). June and her family, Pumpkin, Alana, Josh, Ella and Geno got paid as one, they were all living together in one house at the start of the season. Doe Doe and Big Mike got a friends salary, probably very low, $1500 plus freebies. I do not think they intended to film Doe Doe and niece as much as they did. I bet Doe Doe and niece filmed the extra talking heads and scenes just to help Pumpkin out and have control over what was shown, or help the image?  Sugar bear and Jennifer I believe would be paid separate and much lower. They would be more on the friend level, guess 5k each.

Gina who knows? I would say nothing. She likes to have herself on TV. She probably has a producer credit that she gets paid for , and is willing to step in and film a few times a season to help with the "story line".

The rule is the family or people on a reality show like this are paid 10% of cost by the production company. The production company then sells the show to TLC or WeTV. the good example was the Little couple's production cost was 140k and they made 14k, it was clear in the lawsuit. You can also guess the production cost and salary by how good the trips are they take. If they are going first class to Europe or saying in a airbnb by the local beach? These companies are always looking to cut costs. Wonder why certain 90 day couples are on more then others? look at geography, a bunch in FL, easy and cheaper to film a few couples with one crew.  Sharp productions films love after lockup and 90 day show film multiple couples in the same area with the same crews so it saves money, explains why certain less popular couples get invited back.

Edited by silverspoons
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, silverspoons said:

Sugar bear and Jennifer I believe would be paid separate and much lower. They would be more on the friend level, guess 5k each.

They are willing to make complete fools of themselves for such little money. But I guess with Jennifer she was in it to get her surgeries paid for, showing her doctor and the surgery place probably got her some free stuff.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, newyawk said:

I think it is inaccurate to say the show has been ignoring the drug abuse when they directly addressed the drug arrest on the most recent episode and previously, showed Josh holding a bag of "substance"

That wasn't drugs, it was one of June's fat cakes or snacks because when Josh threw it he said she isn't eating real food and talked about her gaining weight after her surgery.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

That wasn't drugs, it was one of June's fat cakes or snacks because when Josh threw it he said she isn't eating real food and talked about her gaining weight after her surgery.

I thought that was crack because he called it rocks. Maybe he realized what he was saying and then covered it up by saying she wasn't eating real food?

• Love 8
(edited)
37 minutes ago, druzy said:

I thought that was crack because he called it rocks. Maybe he realized what he was saying and then covered it up by saying she wasn't eating real food?

I don't think they would leave that out on the kitchen table. I saw this discussed on another forum and they also said it was food. Pumpkin said that June and Geno were on the rocks and Josh sarcastically said "they are on the rocks all right" in reply to that comment. He wasn't referring to what he threw.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I don't think they would leave that out on the kitchen table. I saw this discussed on another forum and they also said it was food. Pumpkin said that June and Geno were on the rocks and Josh sarcastically said "they are on the rocks all right" in reply to that comment. He wasn't referring to what he threw.

Thanks for clarifying that! My mind went in an entirely different direction. 

• Love 5
(edited)

That whole loud, upset discussion Josh and Pumpkin had in the kitchen was not about June cheating on her diet, it was about her decline over four years and about Geno's control over her and about something else being a factor in it. So when Josh was saying, "They're on the rocks all right" it was referring to their suspicions that drugs were involved. Pumpkin already thought that Geno was using again. This is why Dr. Ish was brought in, he is an addiction specialist.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, newyawk said:

when Josh was saying, "They're on the rocks all right" it was referring to their suspicions that drugs were involved. Pumpkin already thought that Geno was using again.

I'm not disputing that, my point was that it wasn't a bag of drugs that Josh threw. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, newyawk said:

That whole loud, upset discussion Josh and Pumpkin had in the kitchen was not about June cheating on her diet, it was about her decline over four years and about Geno's control over her and about something else being a factor in it.

I realize they know about the drugs and think Geno has control over her but that wasn't the conversation they had in that scene, their actual conversation was that June did all that work dieting and surgery and now gained half her size back. I noticed you have wanted to debate things on here and perhaps feel a loyalty to the family, I have no vested interest except as somebody who watches the show for entertainment. I am just repeating what happened in that scene.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, slasherboy said:

There's been some speculation about Lauryn's bare-bone apartment.  My guess is that what we see on TV, a couple of lawn chairs and a card table, are in a fake empty apartment and she, Josh, Ella and Alana live in a real, unidentified apartment complete with furniture, baby toys, and lots of clutter (read: lived in).  No way they live in a place as sparse as is portrayed on the show.

100% agree. And that also goes for June's McMansion, Doe Doe's house, and likely that house they used when they filmed the first series. Those are all staged homes with absolutely nothing personal in them at all.

And Doe Doe and Amber need to shut up with  "It's all Geno's fault," like any of this has anything to do with that excuses. As @PrincessPurrsALot pointed out earlier, June's shit choices in partners is a lifelong issue—none of her problems started with Geno. And likely will not end with him either. And neither will her addiction which she likely had before Geno rolled into the picture. 

I watched the latest episode today and had to laugh at them trying to retrofit the "she's having mini strokes!" into the narrative. The EMTs voices were all voice actor "recreations"—and I can nearly guarantee that none of them in actuality were diagnosing her as having "mini strokes" in the ambulance. That's not their jobs. Hell, it's not even the job of doctors to come out and say that. All they can say is, "Let's run some tests and figure out what's going on." The producers of this show are the scum of the earth for perpetuating that any of her problems have anything to do with anything other than whatever drugs she's taking. 

And I didn't buy for five seconds that Sugar Bear's wife feigned outrage that she didn't win the "cover" of Star magazine because it wasn't a "fair fight." That was all set up, too—and likely another retrofitted scene to accommodate June's ongoing drug addiction. 

I don't watch Marriage Boot Camp and that idiot "doctor" is only there to tee up the same old, tired, "Let's get back the Mama June we know and love." The Mama June everyone "knew and loved" was a complete fabrication of TLC and now, WeTV. The "Mama June" she's always been is what we're seeing know—a selfish bitch who puts her own interests above those of everyone else. 

She's trash. And she was stoned out of her mind in the car ride with Doe Doe, too. 

8 hours ago, silverspoons said:

These are the only facts, like contracts that have been posted or actual people spoken out. On my big Fat Life with Whitney, her friends are paid very little, but paid, under 5k a season was reported, but also given the free trips, outings, food as other benefits. I would assume minor parts Like Doe Doe and Niece are like this.  Now with the Duggars, Jill's husband was very vocal about he and Jill not being paid, that Jim Bob got the money and he would use the money to buy maybe a house for the couple to live in but then their were strings attached and control. the sister wives kids are not paid separate but it does seem like the family gives the kids money for college or housing and the show has made the married couples money off of MLM (you would not believe how much they are making off selling clothes and makeup to fans) so their is a benefit to being on reality TV even if you are not paid. Jen and Bill of the little couple make approx 14k per show (this was in a  lawsuit so confirmed) and they say they are putting it away for the kids, I believe that (but a doctor and a business owner do not need extra money like Honey boo boo). I know on the one time shows, lets say escaping polygamy, they show a girl leaving the faith. She gets 5k to start her life, no one else gets paid in the family or are shown doing her hair or helping her get a place (the main 3 girls get a salary per season) . So many extras family or background do not get paid or very little.

My guess with June, just as someone who has searched and read as many of these contracts (I actually have been an extra in reality TV filming, so has my family and many neighbors, they film in my area a lot, and I have never gotten a dime, but have HUGE 50 page long contracts for a 10 minute clip that I am just in the background, so the contracts fascinate me). June and her family, Pumpkin, Alana, Josh, Ella and Geno got paid as one, they were all living together in one house at the start of the season. Doe Doe and Big Mike got a friends salary, probably very low, $1500 plus freebies. I do not think they intended to film Doe Doe and niece as much as they did. I bet Doe Doe and niece filmed the extra talking heads and scenes just to help Pumpkin out and have control over what was shown, or help the image?  Sugar bear and Jennifer I believe would be paid separate and much lower. They would be more on the friend level, guess 5k each.

Gina who knows? I would say nothing. She likes to have herself on TV. She probably has a producer credit that she gets paid for , and is willing to step in and film a few times a season to help with the "story line".

The rule is the family or people on a reality show like this are paid 10% of cost by the production company. The production company then sells the show to TLC or WeTV. the good example was the Little couple's production cost was 140k and they made 14k, it was clear in the lawsuit. You can also guess the production cost and salary by how good the trips are they take. If they are going first class to Europe or saying in a airbnb by the local beach? These companies are always looking to cut costs. Wonder why certain 90 day couples are on more then others? look at geography, a bunch in FL, easy and cheaper to film a few couples with one crew.  Sharp productions films love after lockup and 90 day show film multiple couples in the same area with the same crews so it saves money, explains why certain less popular couples get invited back.

Very interesting, thanks for your lengthy, informative reply.

I also worked as an extra, but was on "Nashville", and we got paid $48/hour and food.  I would have done it for free because it was fun.  But a few dollars was fun too, and the food was good.

The idea that Jennifer may be Alana's best option as a mother figure is terrifying.  Obesity-wise, her own son is huge.  She desperately needs a positive home with positive influences, but sadly, I don't see that in her future. It's been quite an eye-opener watching Alana go from a happy-go-lucky (albeit cocky) child to the sobbing 13-year-old she is today.

And when this show does end, Alana is going to be lost without all the attention and activity of having the film crew around.

Sad, sad situation all around.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

I realize they know about the drugs and think Geno has control over her but that wasn't the conversation they had in that scene, their actual conversation was that June did all that work dieting and surgery and now gained half her size back. I noticed you have wanted to debate things on here and perhaps feel a loyalty to the family, I have no vested interest except as somebody who watches the show for entertainment. I am just repeating what happened in that scene.

I rewatched that scene before posting to get the gist of what they said, and they were discussing overall June's decline. So I am just reiterating what happened in that scene, it has nothing to do with what I do or don't feel about that family. I am simply a viewer, not a fan one way or the other, I enjoy the show. Josh wasn't just upset about her cheating on the diet, and it wasn't just about junk food.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 5
(edited)

June's drug problems are very recent. given that her behavior on Honey Boo Boo and earlier seasons of this show was markedly better (if still gross)  than what we've seen over the last season. She also didn't have prior drug arrests. Geno quite evidently does have a lot to do with this.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 3

I stopped watching this trashy family a long time ago - the exploitation of Alanna makes me anxious and depressed. But I popped in here to read about June's drug stuff.

Regarding money and contracts, I seem to recall that way back when all of this started, it was revealed that June was keeping and spending the money that was meant for others in the family. I believe there was an agreement made that the minors' payments would be put into protected accounts that June cannot touch.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, newyawk said:

June's drug problems are very recent. given that her behavior on Honey Boo Boo and earlier seasons of this show was markedly better (if still gross)  than what we've seen over the last season. She also didn't have prior drug arrests. Geno quite evidently does have a lot to do with this.

June's been using way before she was on TV. They (production) were able to hide it before but not anymore.

Edited by druzy
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

Regarding money and contracts, I seem to recall that way back when all of this started, it was revealed that June was keeping and spending the money that was meant for others in the family. I believe there was an agreement made that the minors' payments would be put into protected accounts that June cannot touch.

I wish that were true.  June gets the money for the family.  She shaded the truth and said all the kids had accounts set aside for them.  She did set up accounts and put some money in them, but she was spending the money.  

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I wish that were true.  June gets the money for the family.  She shaded the truth and said all the kids had accounts set aside for them.  She did set up accounts and put some money in them, but she was spending the money.  

I think during the TLC days she setup accounts for the kids. The first 2 seasons did not pay much, TLC is infamous for very low pay first season, better pay second season, but it is season 3 and beyond you get good money. June was also not as cut throat  as Kate Gosselin in asking for money or freebies. June was worried that if the show suddenly ended that she would not have enough money to live and too much money to get benefits so giving the girls the early money was an easy choice, remember she said the money when straight in the kids accounts and she had nothing to do with it. I think June was scared of losing her benefits  because she knew she could live, maybe not grand but live with them. I can imagine being blind, living rural, it is not easy to find a job to walk to or get a ride every shift. I know Anna said she had only about 15k in her account but that would be close to what about 2 seasons might pay. First seasons of most shows are about 10k total so split that by 5 and then second seasons 75k again 5 ways, so about 15k after taxes for 2 seasons could have been Anna's share. 

I wonder when the money switched to June?  It seemed like after Sugar bear and her split is when she was looking for a home so she was keeping some for herself or was it before then? 

When they started taping for Wetv there was a new contract. I wonder if Geno was in the picture by then? I think he was but not shown on camera. They flashed to pictures of Mama and Geno and a few of which she was very heavy so he was with her before the weight loss so much longer then the story line is showing us. So was Geno there when Wetv was giving her the not to hot deal? 

• Useful 2

I don’t know how June has managed to raise 4 strong, independent daughters with the totally crappy upbringing they have had. June has thrown them over for any scummy man that looked at her twice.

But despite this, Anna is a young mother smart enough and has enough self respect to cut ties with her mother even if it meant losing out on the reality show paycheck. Jessica has done the same, and is on her way to becoming a nurse, or at least that’s the last I heard. Lauryn has become an advocate for her little sister and has stood up to June in ways that take a lot of courage. Josh has backed her up and is showing that he has great strength of character for such a young man. And Alana just wants to be a happy kid who has crushes on boys and is exploring her talents, but the ugly specter of June and her messed up life is ruining her childhood. I feel nothing but empathy for those girls, and nothing but contempt for June who is allowing all of this to happen.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I stopped watching this trashy family a long time ago - the exploitation of Alanna makes me anxious and depressed. But I popped in here to read about June's drug stuff.

June had the account sets up from the start but at some point they stopped? Anna accused June of not putting enough in her account. Since we do not know how much he show paid, there is no way to know if June took any out or if it was just lower pay first 2 seasons, It was Kate Gosselin that was forced to get the accounts set up when Jon and her broke up. Kate was spending the money and Jon fought to get laws passed in PA to protect kids on TV. Before that laws were only in NY and CA since filming kids was rare in other states before reality tv,

• Useful 2

Maybe MJ borrowed money from Pumpkin and she was repaying Pumpkin little by little and that is what Pumpkin was referring to in that phone conversation.

16 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

I know Anna said she had only about 15k in her account

Anna said she should have had money in her account.  When she went to try to get it, they told her she had to have June's signature and then there was only a very small amount left.  June said she used it to pay Anna's bills such her cell phone bill.  

19 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

and then second seasons 75k

TLC doesn't pay anyone $75K an episode.  That's an evil internet rumor that a now departed blogger started and it still lives.  Jon didn't start the fight to have money set aside for the Gosselin kids.  He was even opposed to it at first.  After the separation was when he changed sides.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Absolom said:

TLC doesn't pay anyone $75K an episode.  That's an evil internet rumor that a now departed blogger started and it still lives.  Jon didn't start the fight to have money set aside for the Gosselin kids.  He was even opposed to it at first.  After the separation was when he changed sides.  

I was talking about the entire season not per episode. Sister wives got 10k for the entire first season not per episode and then 75k for the next season not episode. TLC would never pay 75k an episode, as I states above it is 10% of production cost, and a concrete example was the little couple last season, which they have been on air what 8 years? was getting about 14k an episode for the entire family and they had much higher production costs and ratings then honey boo boo. 

I have tried to search for Kendra's wetv contract to see what they have paid in the past with no luck. 

As for Jon Gosselin, I had watched some streams of meetings child stars and him had fighting for the kids to have money set aside and set working hours and the law got passed. That law did help get those kids off TV and into school full time and a more normal life. I do not know if he did it pre or post divorce but it did get done which should be a law in every state for kids on TV

• Love 5
6 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I states above it is 10% of production cost

That's an industry estimate by a alleged industry pundit not an ironclad deal though.  The contracts usually specify an amount per episode or time segment (30 minutes or 60 minutes of show) not a contracted amount per season.  

It was a group of viewers who pushed for the law and Jon later joined in.  It was to his credit that he finally saw what the show was doing to his children.  It should be put in place across the country and should be tightened.  As it is the parents can still spend the money as long as they spend it on the child's health, education, or welfare.  Just my opinion, but a portion should be set aside that the parents can't touch.  

The first year, the pay is normally abysmally low and slowly increases.  Sadly I don't have any connections who have viewed a WETV contract.   It's likely that the first house used for filming Honey Boo Boo was their actual residence.  The production company isn't going to expend a lot of money on what is basically a pilot.  Lauryn and Josh's apartment does look like either a set or that they sanitize the apartment seriously before shooting.  

• Love 1

I don't understand why Honey Boo Boo makes it a point to eat like a pig on the show. Is it self loathing? I feel bad for her. I remember when I was 8 and I thought I was a normal weight until I was shamed at summer camp. I was so humiliated that I was embarrassed to eat in front of people. Eventually I lost weight and the kids were nicer to me and when my parents came to visit they were so proud of me. I can't imagine going through that humiliation in front of millions of people. I wish someone would step up to the plate and help her with her self esteem. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, druzy said:

I don't understand why Honey Boo Boo makes it a point to eat like a pig on the show. Is it self loathing? I feel bad for her. I remember when I was 8 and I thought I was a normal weight until I was shamed at summer camp. I was so humiliated that I was embarrassed to eat in front of people. Eventually I lost weight and the kids were nicer to me and when my parents came to visit they were so proud of me. I can't imagine going through that humiliation in front of millions of people. I wish someone would step up to the plate and help her with her self esteem. 

That's all she's ever been around, Pumpkin does the same thing. I really thought all those times it was showing June eating like a pig was just for show, like she wasn't really eating all that mess.....I mean a brownie on a slice of pizza, who does that!!! 

• Love 6
(edited)

Last Friday's countdown to the intervention numbers are in:  877K viewers and a .27 rating.  It was the fourth cable show of the day.  From last week the viewers dropped a little and the rating went up .01 so not much change at all.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:32 PM, Absolom said:

The show was up a bit last week to 900K viewers and a .26 rating being the 8th cable show of the day.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, druzy said:

Nope, not self loathing or self esteem issues. It’s what she’s been brought up to do, it’s what she’s been rewarded for doing. Why would she do any different than how it’s been all her life?

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, thebigboot said:

Nope, not self loathing or self esteem issues. It’s what she’s been brought up to do, it’s what she’s been rewarded for doing. Why would she do any different than how it’s been all her life?

Does she really live in that big of a bubble? She goes to public school. I hope she doesn't squirt whipped cream in her mouth in the middle of class just to be accepted. 

• Love 2

I’m curious to know what happened to Alana’s DWTS money. If I’m remembering right it was a decent chunk just to appear on the show and hopefully it was put into a trust in her name and not into an Alabama slot machine.

• Love 8

This is an interesting article from 2014 regarding Mama June and the pig who raped her daughter.

TLC on Friday issued a statement without addressing the allegations directly:

"TLC has cancelled the series HERE COMES HONEY BOO BOO and ended all activities around the series, effective immediately. Supporting the health and welfare of these remarkable children is our only priority. TLC is faithfully committed to the children's ongoing comfort and well-being."

This is where you would typically insert lots of commentary referencing early questions of whether the show exploits its young star (it was developed as a spinoff of the child beauty pageant series Toddlers and Tiaras). Or you could note how such "hicksploitation TV" shows stereotype rural, Southern families with little regard for the impact of turning their lives into national punchlines.

And you could comment on how all the justifications from Mama June insisting participation in the show wouldn't seriously damage her daughter — echoed by TLC as it raked in the ratings, of course — feels bitterly hollow now.

But this is something we've seen in a less alarming way before. When Duck Dynastystar Phil Robertson let his inner homophobe fly in a GQ magazine interview, A&E suspended him, then unsuspended him and saw ratings plummet nearly 50 percent from the show's heights.

Bravo's Real Housewives franchise just saw two of its stars, Joe and Teresa Giudice, sent to prison on conspiracy and bankruptcy fraud charges, leading some critics to wonder whether such activities were connected to maintaining the wealthy lifestyle showcased on the program. (Bravo, of course, turned a post-sentencing interview into a TV special.)

Too often, it seems reality TV producers have been in the business of handing worldwide platforms to dubious people in questionable circumstances. They shrug off criticisms of their high-wire TV acts and cross their fingers, hopeful that their "stars" won't implode until — like the bitter divorce between Jon and Kate Plus 8 stars Jon and Kate Gosselin — their shows are already in decline. (Honey Boo Boo's recent ratings have also been lower than previous highs.)

According to TMZ, TLC has a season's worth of Honey Boo Boo episodes it is shelving. But the website also reported that Shannon was sneaking off during filming to spend time with McDaniel, raising questions about what the cable channel knew and whether it should have called off the series before allegations about this relationship were made public.

Often, the consequences for creating these kinds of TV shows can seem ephemeral and academic. But even if Shannon's denials about dating McDaniel are true, the entire episode has become national news in the most brutal way — possibly leaving vulnerable children and a fractured family in its wake.

Wonder if anyone will think of this when the next exploitative TV concept comes up?

• Love 3
17 hours ago, druzy said:

Does she really live in that big of a bubble? She goes to public school. I hope she doesn't squirt whipped cream in her mouth in the middle of class just to be accepted. 

I doubt she’d do the whipped cream but there’s plenty of video of her acting obnoxious without it being for the show. Not so much of a bubble but when you’ve spent your life doing this with encouragement from your mom...

• Love 2