Type keyword(s) to search

MacGyver (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Fun episode but I have to take issue with the idea of the nanotrackers causing a kinda-sorta stroke for Mac. His symptoms resemble a transient ischemic attack although if that was the case he would not have been affected in both hands.

I liked the inclusion of Desi in the narration of the trap setup. That was a nice touch.

The villain was great for what little we saw of him. He steals his cool car back and he's laughing with glee as he's being chased and shot at. Not enough TV villains out there having fun these days, everyone's got to be all angsty.

Having said that, Mac and co. did not need to restore that car to full function. They could have drained the gas tank for example. There are probably a number of other ways they could have unplugged something to make the car useless. But then we wouldn't have had that fun chase.

• Love 1

Kinda sad this is getting cancelled. Not that this is brilliant show but it's light hearted and fun, and we need more of such on TV. 

I'm not opposed to Des and Mac but sometimes they act like they don't even like each other, let alone be in love. Des gets short with Mac and Mac doesn't consider her feelings much most of the time.

• Love 4

Does anyone know if they knew about the cancellation before they finished filming?  There are only two episodes left - will there be any type of closure or was it written as a season ender with the expectation that it would pick up in the fall?  I don't need everything wrapped up in a bow but it would be nice if it didn't end with some cliff hanger that will never get resolved.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

Does anyone know if they knew about the cancellation before they finished filming?  There are only two episodes left - will there be any type of closure or was it written as a season ender with the expectation that it would pick up in the fall?  I don't need everything wrapped up in a bow but it would be nice if it didn't end with some cliff hanger that will never get resolved.

I wondered the same, but I don’t think they did know based on the timing of the announcement.  

There's a #SaveMacGyver campaign going on in the social media sphere, but I wouldn't recommending holding one's breath over it.

And even if it is saved, it'd likely be put on a streaming network like CBS-All Access;  which is now - or will be - Paramount+, right?

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
On 4/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, dwmarch said:

There are probably a number of other ways they could have unplugged something to make the car useless.

Like... I don't know, the keys? There's no way the guy could've had the time to hotwire the thing in the few seconds he was sitting in it, so that means that these secret agents drove this million euro car to a car show where they expected this bad guy to show up... and left the keys in the car.

You would think that putting an extremely gaudy road sign's paper onto a very distinctively shaped car to turn it into an extremely gaudy looking car would just make the thing a hundred times more noticeable, but apparently not.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed last night's episode.  It was good seeing Bozer's family. Have we met them before?

And I liked that Riley's new team helped out. 

Now I feel even worse that it's been cancelled.

Is the next episode the last one?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Trey said:

I really enjoyed last night's episode.  It was good seeing Bozer's family. Have we met them before?

And I liked that Riley's new team helped out. 

Now I feel even worse that it's been cancelled.

Is the next episode the last one?

They said the April 30th is the last.  I think there isn’t one on this Friday.  It is a bummer...they needed to give it one more season with the interruptions of the pandemic, etc.

• Love 1
On 4/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

It could be the MacRiley colored glasses I'm wearing, but it wouldn't surprise me if other people were also getting tired of the MacDesi BS and the ratings were significantly suffering because of it.

The ratings were fine. I mean, circa 5 million (perhaps somewhat less lately due to scattershot airing, but not dramatically so) in what is supposedly a powerblock is not terrible. 

But yeah, the whole thing makes Macgyver look like an unprofessional asshole for wanting to date both women on his team. I am not hot or cold about the MacRiley thing, I just feel they got it going too late in the series. Mostly, Desi deserves better. 

It's been two weeks and I still find it really baffling. I'm not sure if it has to do with the previous behind the scenes drama or if they were just contracted for five seasons and they decided to not extend them out of spite or something. I'm also just getting into MacGyver after four previous tries and now it'll always feel unfinished. And the fact that it ends on April 30th rather then May 7th like Magnum PI and Blue Bloods makes it sound like they can't get rid of it fast enough.

• Love 1

This episode is probably one of the best they've had in a long time... so figures it's next to last. Probably precisely because it had no MacDesi or MacRiley crap in it whatsoever and just focused on Mac and Co. getting into a dangerous situation and solving it, like the show should be. I have never in my life ever seen a show where putting in relationship drama halfway through has ever actually done anything besides make the show worse. Relationship drama tends to gimp shows even when the show is based around it from the start, and MacGyver definitely is not one of those shows.

I watch this show to see Mac and Co. get into crazy dangerous situations then watch Mac build his way out of it while monologing what he's doing. I did not get into this show to watch Mac try to date his coworkers. I definitely did not get into this show to watch Mac try to date his coworkers in a manner forced by writers who couldn't write an actual relationship to save their lives.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 2

Still bummed the show is done.  I still feel like if Magnum is continuing, Mac should too.  It was a good final show, and I liked the toast at the end.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, alexa said:

Still bummed the show is done.  I still feel like if Magnum is continuing, Mac should too.  It was a good final show, and I liked the toast at the end.

I have no idea why or over what, but I guess the show is being sued and that's why CBS made the decision to cancel it (was reported elsewhere over a week ago, but couldn't bring up the link provided).  

I am bummed its done, too, but moreso because my wishful "endgame" canon pairing is the same as the new showrunner's, IE MacRiley, and [of course] they had plans to make it happen next season.

But CBS must be fairly happy, cause they can now slot NCIS: Hawaii in where MacGyver was and can then easily have Magnum/NCIS: Hawaii crossovers, should they want to.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I have no idea why or over what, but I guess the show is being sued and that's why CBS made the decision to cancel it (was reported elsewhere over a week ago, but couldn't bring up the link provided).  

I am bummed its done, too, but moreso because my wishful "endgame" canon pairing is the same as the new showrunner's, IE MacRiley, and [of course] they had plans to make it happen next season.

But CBS must be fairly happy, cause they can now slot NCIS: Hawaii in where MacGyver was and can then easily have Magnum/NCIS: Hawaii crossovers, should they want 

This maybe?

https://deadline.com/2021/04/macgyver-lawsuit-response-cbs-studios-macgyver-remakes-are-not-spinoffs-1234727212/#comments

18 minutes ago, alexa said:

That's probably it.  Weird how its being sued over such, but Magnum's previous rights holders didn't do so as well.  They are both remakes, or 're-imaginings'.

So if the reason for cancellation truly is over that lawsuit, it all comes down to money and greed [on the original's rights owners end].  Sad commentary of things in this day and age.

• Love 3

Well that was a good run. I wish things had played out for another season because as I predicted, Desi's ex was indeed meant to come back and break her and Mac up, leading to Mac and Riley getting together:

https://tvline.com/2021/04/30/macgyver-recap-season-5-series-finale-season-6-spoilers-mac-riley-desi/

I'm not sure how much I love the revelation that it was actually the US government that was the bad guys all along but these CBS procedurals really hate inter-agency cooperation.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Well that was a good run. I wish things had played out for another season because as I predicted, Desi's ex was indeed meant to come back and break her and Mac up, leading to Mac and Riley getting together:

https://tvline.com/2021/04/30/macgyver-recap-season-5-series-finale-season-6-spoilers-mac-riley-desi/

I'm not sure how much I love the revelation that it was actually the US government that was the bad guys all along but these CBS procedurals really hate inter-agency cooperation.

I saw that too.  I think this show needed one more regular season because the last two were both shortened and it impacted storylines quite a bit.  I would have loved to see one more as they were getting their rhythm back.  

• Love 3

Yes, one more season, preferably without relationship angst, would have been good.

Goodbye, MacGyver.  I enjoyed the time we spent together.

• Love 2
On 5/20/2021 at 9:25 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Magnum is the only show I (currently) watch on CBS, with MacGyver cancelled.

And just what is needed, yet another "reality" [/scoff] TV show.

Ugh I hate reality shows. There have been good ones, but they all suck nowadays.

I was hoping for a Magnum/MacGyver crossover next year, but oh well. Who know, maybe they WILL bring the show back for Paramount. They’re bringing Criminal Minds back, so why not? Yes, ratings have been dropping but cmon. Finish it off with one more season. 

CBS is getting weird

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, MountaineerBro10 said:

Ugh I hate reality shows. There have been good ones, but they all suck nowadays.

I was hoping for a Magnum/MacGyver crossover next year, but oh well. Who know, maybe they WILL bring the show back for Paramount. They’re bringing Criminal Minds back, so why not? Yes, ratings have been dropping but cmon. Finish it off with one more season. 

CBS is getting weird

I've never liked reality shows much, just because the premise behind the idea is so false.  How can anything be called "reality" when its not reality.  I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have camera crews following me around all the time and documenting my every non-private waking moment.  I wouldn't want that kind of intrusive attention, personally, and I don't want to watch that kind of thing.

It seems like they had a Magnum/MacGyver crossover planned for this past season, prior to the pandemic - going by stuff/potential episode titles I saw months ago - but Covid and social distancing mandates ruined those plans.  And now with MacGyver getting axed, it'll never happen.  *mutters profanities*

I don't have empirical evidence to back this up, but I believe that we're seeing streaming services making networks more and more obsolete - at least in terms of scripted content.  Why bother to plan on watching or recording a show at such and such a time on such and such a day when you can watch it anytime you want after it becomes available on that network's streaming service, or Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/YouTube/etc?  Streaming options have to be killing the 'live' ratings for a lot of these scripted shows on CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX.

2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I've never liked reality shows much, just because the premise behind the idea is so false.  How can anything be called "reality" when its not reality.  I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have camera crews following me around all the time and documenting my every non-private waking moment.  I wouldn't want that kind of intrusive attention, personally, and I don't want to watch that kind of thing.

It seems like they had a Magnum/MacGyver crossover planned for this past season, prior to the pandemic - going by stuff/potential episode titles I saw months ago - but Covid and social distancing mandates ruined those plans.  And now with MacGyver getting axed, it'll never happen.  *mutters profanities*

I don't have empirical evidence to back this up, but I believe that we're seeing streaming services making networks more and more obsolete - at least in terms of scripted content.  Why bother to plan on watching or recording a show at such and such a time on such and such a day when you can watch it anytime you want after it becomes available on that network's streaming service, or Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/YouTube/etc?  Streaming options have to be killing the 'live' ratings for a lot of these scripted shows on CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX.

Oh they def ARE killing live ratings. I always check with TV Line the day after I watch my fav shows, just to see how they did rating wise. Shows are always “steady” or may have “dipped”. Never higher, never all-time high or anything positive. So it’s almost a necessity to have access to some kind of streaming service.

• Love 1

We had been finishing up a second round of watching old MacGyver, just finished it, and are starting the new MacGyver.  It was so fun to see the first episode of the new version, and see it at its roots with Jack, Mac, Riley, and Boser.  Even though I understand why they had Jack leave, I wish they would have kept it simple and fun like it was in the beginning.  It will be fun seeing these older episodes again.  

For anyone that hasn’t rewatched MacGyver, I highly recommend it.  The first two seasons are really good, which is easier to appreciate after seeing the later seasons.  Jack is really funny, and I had forgotten about the great chemistry he had with Mac.  I think the whole cast is perfect together, and I wish they would not have made so many changes in the later seasons.  I know why the character of Jack left but they could have kept the formula that worked the same otherwise.  Anyway, it is free on IMDB on Amazon, which makes it easy for those streaming TV.

Needing something to drown out the silence as I work bern watching the remake of MacGyver  on ParamountPlus .   Remember watching the first couple seasons and getting bored.  But it is ok blue skies tv if that is the kind of show you like.   Kinda miss Thornton though.  

I honestly think I quit watching because everyone hated the characters I kinda dug,  like Thornton and Cage.     And honestly this kind of show is the kind I only really like to drown out the monotony of working from home.