Type keyword(s) to search

MacGyver (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Show... Why even mess around with a riley/mac scenario.. Leave em be.. As they are... Agreed its prob not Maddie.. But I would accept it if it somehow proved that the lady that betrayed them in season one was actually innocent the whole time ( partly because I believed she wasn't guilty) I'd love for that wildness to be the case

• Love 1

This almost came off like an episode of 'Leverage'. 

I like Maddie.  I think she's a good character.  The only reason to make her bad was if she was leaving the show.  Otherwise this would be a repeat of an earlier season.  I don't believe Maddie wold go bad.  I'm also predicting that the show will put Maddie and new guy together.  If that really was Maddie, she was probably undercover on a mission.  Maybe still working for Mac's dad?

I didn't want to see a reunion of Mac/Dezi.  I was glad all the bs was off camera.  The show didn't need to put them back together.  Especially since they already figured out that they don't work.  It already looks like there's some weirdness between Mac and Reilly.  I don't really watch this show to see romantic, soap-opery, love triangles. 

• Love 1
On 3/8/2020 at 7:18 PM, Commando Cody said:

I didn't want to see a reunion of Mac/Dezi.  I was glad all the bs was off camera.  The show didn't need to put them back together.  Especially since they already figured out that they don't work.  It already looks like there's some weirdness between Mac and Reilly.  I don't really watch this show to see romantic, soap-opery, love triangles. 

Well.....

Spoiler

You won't like this, but the title for the March 20th episode seems to definitely hint that a love triangle type of thing is likely in the offing; 
4.7  -  Mac  +  Desi  +  Riley  +  Aubrey(Riley's BF).

3 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Well.....

Reveal spoiler

You won't like this, but the title for the March 20th episode seems to definitely hint that a love triangle type of thing is likely in the offing; 
4.7  -  Mac  +  Desi  +  Riley  +  Aubrey(Riley's BF).

Spoiler

Mac  +  Desi  +  Riley  +  Aubrey(Riley's BF) = EXPLOSION!

• Love 1

They sure made Amelia wishy-washy.

"Stop fighting!  Stop shooting people!!"
*Taylor finds a peaceful - albeit debatable, to say the least - way to end things*
"What the hell were you thinking!?  These are violent insurgents who will be back!!"

So, in short, "don't fight violence with violence" but "way to be morally corrupt for ending things in a non-violent manner, the manner I begged you for, in the first place".

And hey, way to add to the Mattie mystery.  Having not followed MacGyver super closely over its run, I'm gonna go out on a sturdy limb and guess her mystery call was to Mac's dad.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

MacGyver shuts down production for the season. This article is already a week old so maybe you've seen it already.

MacGyver update

I wonder how many more episodes they have left since they started filming this early in the season before any episodes aired.  

MacGyver shuts down production for the season. This article is already a week old so maybe you've seen it already.

-----

I wonder how many more episodes they have left since they started filming this early in the season before any episodes aired.  

This reminds me of the writers strike of 2007.  That was the correct year, right?

Interrupted the end of seasons for shows like Chuck, Supernatural, Smallville, and so many more.

CoVid-19 is taking no prisoners.  Between the cancellation/postponement/delay of sports seasons, the cancellation of the end of the 2019-'20 TV season, the postponing of the mega movies in theaters...  not much in store, in terms of entertainment options, for weeks & months to come  [after shows run out of filmed episodes].

• Love 1

Can we please lose the nauseating Mac and Desi crap ? I was bored actually watching this episode I cannot stand Desi 😡 Either put Mac with Riley who Mac has  chemistry with or bring on someone new for him because him and Desi are just not working for me! I guess I’m in the minority because I really just can’t stand the Desi character ! 

• Love 3

I don't have a problem with Desi as a character.  I think putting her together with Mac was a mistake.  It wasn't necessary and it seemed forced.  Having Riley show up at Mac's place makes it look like a Riley/Mac set up.  I don't want them together either.  It would be another forced relationship.  I just don't see it - I just don't want to see it. 

This show sucks at putting couples together. 

• Love 1

I was a little conflicted, where Riley and Aubrey were living, was that a nice place to live? It seemed a little run down and the left the window open. It seemed like there was grafitti on the wall, but that may have been their artwork.

Honestly, it seemed like Aubrey screaming like a little girl begging for his life, would have been a deal breaker for Riley - not the other way around.

I also considered, for a moment, that Aubrey was with another secret agency and was going to be revealed as an agent.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Honestly, it seemed like Aubrey screaming like a little girl begging for his life, would have been a deal breaker for Riley - not the other way around.

I also considered, for a moment, that Aubrey was with another secret agency and was going to be revealed as an agent.  

Yes, Aubrey was kind of annoying. And in the end he should have been glad they could help him stay alive instead of acting all angry at the lies.  Once he had some sense of what they did for a living, you should be able to understand why that kind of work is secret.  

22 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

That was a fun episode and I really enjoyed it. Except for the part where Riley got dump. Poor Riley. 

I liked it too.  And I thought they handled Mac and Desi well....they were more of a casual couple and it fit the episode plot line.

• Love 2
On 3/8/2020 at 7:18 PM, Commando Cody said:

It already looks like there's some weirdness between Mac and Reilly.  I don't really watch this show to see romantic, soap-opery, love triangles. 

With Mac/Desi on very shaky ground, a newly-single Riley [apparently] moving in with Mac, and I'd be surprised if that isn't what we'll be seeing at any time now. 

(although probably a lot less - the rest of this season - if that particular storyline hadn't progressed much before filming was cancelled because of the coronavirus)

When I saw smug actress, Jeri Ryan's, name in the credits, I thought, if she becomes a part of the team, I'm out.  

I assume she won't appear much, so it's okay.

I grew to like Mac's dad.  

The disgust coming from the CIA guy when he found his team overtaken was hilarious. 

• Love 2

Watching this show and the stuff with Codex, I can't help but wonder how much CoVid-19 will 'wreck' not only the end of these current TV seasons - because of the cancellation of filming before finishing - but possibly also the start of new seasons.  Will they pick up the postponed storylines where left off to finish them, or just drop them altogether and start anew?

I don't have anything against Jeri Ryan as an actress - haven't seen her in enough shows or movies to judge - but for the introduction of the season's main villain, I was left very underwhelmed.  I kept waiting for the hook to buy into the character's villainous motivations, and was left very wanting.  The rallying cry she spouted wasn't executed very well.  It didn't have any real 'oomph', imo.  I felt the whole Matty&Burks by-play gave way more weight to the problem than anything 'Aunty Gwendoline' said or did.

I will need to watch the whole series to really feel the emotional weight of Oversight/Mac's dad dying, but I thought LT & the Oversight actor played it well enough to make their final scenes work.

• Love 2

I thought it was strange that when they enable the privacy mode in the command center, all the windows glaze over except the one that has a view of the outside of the building overlooking heavy trees and bushes. All the people with the security clearances view is blocked, but anybody hiding outside in the bushes has a clear view of their strategy board.

• Love 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

So this was episode 8 and they had 19 episode done before halting production although wikipedia says 20.

It's actually too bad they are so earlier in the airings because I thought this episode would've made a decent finale.

Wow.  Didn't know they had that many done & ready to go already (before filming was canceled).  Figured we'd get maybe only about 7 or 8 more eps - at the very most - for this season.

How many eps were there supposed to be this season, 20?  That'll stink if the finale is the only ep left unfinished & unaired.

4 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought Jeri Ryan was Mac's aunt.  I could be wrong because Mr.Trey was talking through that part, even though he knows better.

She was. 

She looks familiar but I don't think I've ever seen her in anything.  

Overall, I was underwhelmed by the episode. I also think it was bad timing to have an episode about triggering disasters to eliminate a large portion of the world's population, but they likely couldn't control that by the time things got how they are.

5 minutes ago, deaja said:

She looks familiar but I don't think I've ever seen her in anything.  

Jeri Ryan was Seven of Nine on one of the Star Trek incarnations.  I don't know of any other main characters she's played but she has guest starred on very many other shows.

6 minutes ago, deaja said:

Overall, I was underwhelmed by the episode. I also think it was bad timing to have an episode about triggering disasters to eliminate a large portion of the world's population, but they likely couldn't control that by the time things got how they are.

I thought that storyline was amazingly predictive and Covid-19 is actually causing some of the benefits Codex wants, like less pollution in areas that are in lockdown.

• Love 2

Well an end of the world episode which is working with a group who wants to end the world.   You know fuzzy happy tv to watch during the zombie Appocolpse quarantine.

Anyway a Riley focused episode that had both Riley and Mac. facing hard truths and the fact that they can’t save everyone.  

Still I continue to like this show more then it probably deserves.

• Love 3

I found this episode to remind me of the original series a bit....especially having the one guy die, and the way in which Mac was a key player in helping the group.  There are quite a few episodes in the original that a key person like that dies As well as having Mac specifically involved in helping with a specific issue.  We have been watching the original series some—a first for me as I never saw it when it aired.  

• Useful 1

I enjoyed this episode.  I liked seeing just how Riley got into prison in the first place. 

I did call the perp when we first met her but I guess it wasn't really all that hard.

When Mac had to choose between one life and millions of lives, you could almost see his realization of what his father went through.

Mac needs to watch Old Yeller so he can let all his emotions out. If he isn't crying at the end of that movie then he does not have a heart.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

Just saw the 4/17 episode.A couple of questions: (I feel as if I had missed some details, or maybe am just confused)

Re: Mac and Desi at Mac's place looking chummy? Didn't they break up (last off season??) then decide that they loved the rush/danger of the fights, but should remain friends?

Was Riley staying at Mac's house at the end of the previous episode?

At the end of this episode (on 4/17) was the person Mac saw outside hie window.. Mac??? if not, anybody recognize the person?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MDL said:

At the end of this episode (on 4/17) was the person Mac saw outside hie window.. Mac??? if not, anybody recognize the person?

I thought it was Mac too, in his same outfit as in the induced dream.  But maybe not, it was such a quick and shadowy glimpse.

Yes, Riley was staying at Mac's house at the end of the last episode, or whenever it was she broke up with that restaurant guy who turned out to be a loser anyhow.

I think Mac and Desi decided that their relationship wasn't really normal but as long as it suited them they would keep it up.

I could be wrong on any of those points so feel free to correct me.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

The editors need to pay more attention and clean up their acts a little bit.   The supporting tethers on all the stunt people playing the subdued Codex agents were clearly visible - both during the big electromagnet going off and then the direct aftermath - in the mine.  Very sloppy work.

So, it seems we're going to witness an on-going battle of emotional!Mac(physical) vs logical!Mac(mental).  [yes, that was logical!Mac that emotional!Mac 'saw' out on the deck, at the end]

And I'm so done with Mac/Desi.  Ugh.  Please just stop, show.

So Mac & Desi are kinda sorta living together - or at least she 'sleeps over' occasionally - while Riley is living there as well?  That's the inference I got from Desi coming out at "Six.  Oh.  Three.  In the morning.", after Riley did.  Seems like a weird arrangement for them all being close friends and coworkers, but maybe that's just me - unless Mac's bedroom is sound-proofed, which could fall under if you can't hear or see it, its not happening.

• Love 1

For some reason Mac/Desi aren't bothering me much because it is kind of a secondary storyline and they aren't playing it up much in my mind.  I prefer that to the will they or won't they storyline.  And I kind of like the idea of Mac having someone that cares about him, as realistically I don't think he would have much trouble getting a girlfriend--even with his crazy job.  

I enjoyed the recent episode--the party scenes were kind of cool, and I liked seeing the old lab, etc.  I like the mix of history and current period.   I am prepared for some tough episodes with Mac, though, which I am not sure I will love, but hopefully it will play out okay.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

So Mac & Desi are kinda sorta living together - or at least she 'sleeps over' occasionally - while Riley is living there as well?

As long as they walk around the house not wearing any clothes, I won't complain.

• LOL 1

That was a strange episode.  I disliked half of it due to not enjoying episodes in a prison cell.  And then spent time thinking they were incredibly stupid, then pleasantly surprised at the end.  That said I wish there could be some happier episodes for Mac.  I don’t like the dark path they are going on.  I prefer a more fun and action packed MacGyver.  I also prefer having a variety of stories and villains versus the focus on the same group every week.  I think the nice thing about this show is that you get a fresh start every week and now that is not happening.  

I would like this show more if they took off Desi or at least stopped the never ending Mac and Desi crap !! The idiots in charge keep pushing these two romantically and it is the weakest part of the show !! I could see Mac with Riley who I see chemistry with but Desi is just annoying! I was hoping when they added Russell to the cast she would be gone but ,unfortunately, no and again have to suffer through her repetitious scenes ! 

• Love 3

Totally agree that Mac/Desi is the weak part. I find them incredibly dull together.

I miss fun MacGyver too. There's too much crap out there right now, I'd love to see more fun - I really, REALLY miss the humour Jack brought. I used to laugh and have fun watching this show, and now it's some psy-op that's zapping my energy.

Dark MacGyver can GTFO

• Love 4