Type keyword(s) to search

MacGyver (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

CBS update for MacGyver--super short season ahead:  if MacGyver is going to end soon enough to allow Magnum to continue--given that this is starting in February, means there can't be that many episodes of Mac.  

MACGYVER, a reimagining of the classic series starring Lucas Till in the title role, Tristin Mays, Justin Hires, Meredith Eaton, Levy Tran and Henry Ian Cusick, returns for its fourth season Friday, Feb. 7 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT). The same night, HAWAII FIVE-0 moves to its new time period (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT). MAGNUM P.I. will return in the spring after MACGYVER concludes its season run.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Is this shortened season the end of MacGyver? I wouldn't be surprised.

I am guessing because otherwise why would it be so short?  Our household liked MacGyver though, so we will miss it (and do right now as well).  

• Love 1

Hi everyone, 

New to the show, new to this forum.

Season 4 has 13 episodes already. 

According to Justin Hires and Henry Ian Cusick, CBS ordered 9 more. So it’s a full 22 episode season.

I hope this is not the last season of MacGyver. This show has grown on me. 

With 9 more episodes this season, MacGyver makes it to 88 eps total which is enough for syndication. So it could be the last season.

Edited by Mia0323
Spelling
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mia0323 said:

Hi everyone, 

New to the show, new to this forum.

Season 4 has 13 episodes already. 

According to Justin Hires and Henry Ian Cusick, CBS ordered 9 more. So it’s a full 22 episode season.

I hope this is not the last season of MacGyver. This show has grown on me. 

With 9 more episodes this season, MacGyver makes it to 88 eps total which is enough for syndication. So it could be the last season.

How are they fitting all of those in from February to "spring" where they say Magnum will come back on?  I am so confused.  lol

Late spring maybe?

It makes no sense.

If CBS airs 22 episodes without a break,  Magnum p.i. won’t be back before the end of June. Unless they do double episodes a few nights when H5O goes on hiatus. Or, maybe they want Magnum as a summer show. 

4 hours ago, alexa said:

I missed this show.  Glad it is back.  Pretty good episode to get things started.

Oh I liked it too. You knew they would get the band back together, but I didn't expect the guy to have bought the Phoenix. 

I noticed the nod to Indiana Jones when MacGyver when his class ended. I knew it sounded familiar when he said it. He told them to read Michaelson, Chapters 4 and 5 for the next class. That was the same book and chapters Indy told his class to read in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Both are masters of improvising solutions out of whatever is available to them. 

• Love 4

I was hoping for an all new cast and a new headquarters.  Although, I do like Maddie.  I'm tired of the others. 

It was good to get the MacGyver/new cast member lady stuff out of the way so we didn't have to witness that.

Is MacGyvers's dad dead? We didn't get any updates about his health or funeral.  

1 hour ago, Cryonix said:

Looks like Jack will never be coming back, pity he was good for the show I thought.

I never expected him to come back.  He left due to having some on set issues due to his own behavior .  I think they moved on from it okay.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 2

I don't remember the final episode of last season.  Did it end with the Phoenix Foundation shutting down or is that something we found out after the fact?  I vaguely remember him being mad at his dad for choosing to save Mac over other people, but have no recollection of everyone losing their job.

3 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I don't remember the final episode of last season.  Did it end with the Phoenix Foundation shutting down or is that something we found out after the fact?  I vaguely remember him being mad at his dad for choosing to save Mac over other people, but have no recollection of everyone losing their job.

I was trying to remember too.  I think it was just left with their safety in question due to the hacking of the personal info that had taken place.  

I thought Mac quit but I didn't remember the rest quitting/being fired. Maybe all that happened off screen because that's really the best place for important plot developments.

I remember Mac quitting in anger over his father's behaviour and I remember bad guys having their personal information.  I don't remember anything else.

Here's an article about the new season. May be spoilers.

cinemablend

For some reason the link only works if you right click on it.

• Love 1

I feel like they have lost some of their group vibe, or they are trying to act like it is taking a while to get it together.  What I liked about the previous rendition is how they seemed cohesive, and I like the group moments at the end.  It is especially weird because on Magnum they increased the moments like that at the end of the show this season, so I am not sure why Mac is going the opposite direction.  

• Love 1

I hope Dezzie or what ever her name is and Mac aren't going to bicker the whole season and then end up having angry sex.  I don't get any chemistry between the two, but I feel like the show is going to push them back together. 

That was odd with Riley's live-in boyfriend.  I don't see that going anywhere either.  

I was kind of lost when they suddenly started digging into the building.  I must have missed something because it seemed like an odd jump between the one guy running toward the soldier and Mac drilling big holes. 

The pacing of this episode was good.  It didn't drag anywhere.  The fight between Dezzie and the bad guy was reasonable because he wasn't gigantic and they were both slamming each other around.  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I hope Dezzie or what ever her name is and Mac aren't going to bicker the whole season

I know! I'm tired of that already.

Rest of it was okay. 

Did Mac's father die? I know he was going through chemo at the end of last season.  I missed the first episode so might have missed some updates.

Who inserts a CPU chip into a computer with the pins facing up? I guess it was so next level that even I can't comprehend it. CPU Chips get hotter the harder they work, one minute your hacking the pentagon and the next minute you are sitting there staring at an empty slot where your CPU chip used to be.

How many times is Mac going to make a gas mask from scratch. This is at least the 4th time I seen him do it and I am not even paying that much attention. Maybe next time he can just find one sitting in the pile of junk.

9 hours ago, Trey said:

I know! I'm tired of that already.

Rest of it was okay. 

Did Mac's father die? I know he was going through chemo at the end of last season.  I missed the first episode so might have missed some updates.

I don’t think so.  I think he will be in a storyline sometime this season.

• Love 1

As someone who used to watch SG-1 (mostly after it was over) I admit to squeeing a bit when I saw the entrance to Cheyenne Mountain. They had so many (reused naturally) shots of the entrance they would show nearly every time an episode took place mostly on Earth.

The old guy whose name I still can't remember jumped a few badass points this episode with his LEEROOOOOOOOOOOY JEEEENKINS!!!! Which was just another way of saying "attack one of the guards and run."

• Love 1

Hey, that "old guy" is  only 52, younger than me, lol! I couldn't remember his name either, so I looked it up: it's Russell "Russ" Taylor on the show and Henry Ian Cusick IRL. His biggest claim to fame is Lost, which I never watched. I like his character.

When they showed Cheyenne Mountain my husband asked me if I remembered what show it was from, and I didn't, lol. We used to watch Stargate SG-1 too.

I thought the first episode of the season was kind of a mess, but I liked this one a lot more. Glad they filled us in on what happened (sort of) with everyone's love lives. I agree with @alexa that the group dynamic is lacking, but I think that's intentional, as Mac tried to invite them to his house and everyone said no. He looked like he felt bad - hopefully it's temporary and the show is going to have them work their way back to being a real team again. 

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Hey, that "old guy" is  only 52, younger than me, lol! I couldn't remember his name either, so I looked it up: it's Russell "Russ" Taylor on the show and Henry Ian Cusick IRL. His biggest claim to fame is Lost, which I never watched. I like his character.

When they showed Cheyenne Mountain my husband asked me if I remembered what show it was from, and I didn't, lol. We used to watch Stargate SG-1 too.

I thought the first episode of the season was kind of a mess, but I liked this one a lot more. Glad they filled us in on what happened (sort of) with everyone's love lives. I agree with @alexa that the group dynamic is lacking, but I think that's intentional, as Mac tried to invite them to his house and everyone said no. He looked like he felt bad - hopefully it's temporary and the show is going to have them work their way back to being a real team again. 

That is my hope too.  I think they will get back there, and hopefully sooner rather than later.  It just seems too detached right now without the group dynamic.  And they keep having Bozer in a separate location during the tasks.  Lastly, I don't really believe that Bozer and Mac would not have remained close since they had been roommates/friends for years.  The other relationships make sense, but that one doesn't.  

• Love 1

Jorge Garcia "may" be done with "Hawaii Five-O", but he is NOT done with Jerry.

An upcoming episode of "MacGyver"  has Jorge guest-star as Jerry, his character from "Five-O".(As you may recall, there was a cross-over earlier in which Mac himself went to Hawaii  and met some of the "Five-O" task force members (and for some "strange reason",  Kamekona traveled back with him and cooked everyone a feast)).

P.S.   As you know, newbie cast member Henry Ian Cusick was on the show "Lost" with Garcia.

• Love 1

Well at least there will be an end to the fighting between Mac and his ex!  That was getting old.  That was a weird episode. At first I thought, the only plot was a plane with a down pilot, but of course it was more than that.  At least Bozer finally got to do something, and the bosses have an agreement.  We are moving forward now, lol. 

40 minutes ago, alexa said:

Well at least there will be an end to the fighting between Mac and his ex!  That was getting old.  That was a weird episode. At first I thought, the only plot was a plane with a down pilot, but of course it was more than that.  At least Bozer finally got to do something, and the bosses have an agreement.  We are moving forward now, lol. 

My DVR didn't record.. What happened you can shoot me a mail if you don't wanna spoil others... 

This episode really dragged for me.  I checked the DVR to see how much time was left in the episode.  It was 30 minutes.  It was like the episode was never going to end. 

I think the kid was one of the children from the sitcom 'Fuller House'.  

I did like the plane landing, though. For some reason. 

I'm kind of confused with what's going on with MacGyver's dad. I thought he was dying - should be dead by now - I suppose now there is going to have to be some sort of reconciliation. 

12 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

My DVR didn't record.. What happened you can shoot me a mail if you don't wanna spoil others... 

Trying to remember the basics.  They were in a plane and saw a plane with a pilot out and his son.  They figured out a way to get in the plane so desi could fly the plane and mac could help the pilot.  While in the plane they realized the pilot had been poisoned.  So Bozer goes to find the mechanic they thought did it so they could figure out the poison and antidote.  He gets some poison on him.  Meanwhile they are able to land the plane even without landing gear.  The pilot and Bozer get an antidote so all was fine.  At the end desi and mac decide to be friends and put their anger behind them.  Mac gets his leather jacket back from somewhere and apparently it was his dad’s so they will probably have a reunion soon...guessing that is what the jacket was foreshadowing.

• Love 1

All right, so what Phil Collins song were they referring to? Did they actually say? Was it Something Happened on the Way to Heaven?

(How many times can I say I'm sorry? You can run and you can hide, but I'm not leaving unless you come with me. We've had our problems, but I'm on your side. You're all I need, please believe in me.)

That could be it. There's a few others like Separate Lives that might fit too. 

I know they played "Take Me Home" at the end, but I don't think that's it. 

On 2/22/2020 at 8:26 AM, alexa said:

Well at least there will be an end to the fighting between Mac and his ex!  That was getting old.

Okay, but..... what was the point?  They weren't together on screen. They didn't break up on screen. So we had one and a half episodes of them taking shots at each other and alluding to a breakup, and we're supposed to care because..... reasons?

28 minutes ago, deaja said:

Okay, but..... what was the point?  They weren't together on screen. They didn't break up on screen. So we had one and a half episodes of them taking shots at each other and alluding to a breakup, and we're supposed to care because..... reasons?

I totally agree.  I didn't like how they had that behind the scenes storyline either.  I wish they would have just skipped it, but maybe things are moving on now so we can pretend it didn't happen...lol.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:34 PM, alexa said:

So Bozer goes to find the mechanic they thought did it so they could figure out the poison and antidote.  He gets some poison on him.

Just one semi-important plot point missing here.  Maddie told him to wait for back up and he didn't really want to. Then the new guy told him not to wait for backup, and Bozer ended up getting the poison on him. So at the end, new guy agreed not to disagree with Maddie during missions.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

Just one semi-important plot point missing here.  Maddie told him to wait for back up and he didn't really want to. Then the new guy told him not to wait for backup, and Bozer ended up getting the poison on him. So at the end, new guy agreed not to disagree with Maddie during missions.

Whatever his instructions, it was really Bozer's own decision to go after the mechanic, knowing he might get poison on him but also knowing that if they let him get away now they would probably never find him again. So really, new guy was right.

• Love 1

I am confused why they are going to such trouble to reestablish relationships and roles?  I know the show was a little delayed but these people worked closely together and had friendships as well as a good sense of what their role is.  Bozer had been helping a lot at the end so I have no idea why he was suddenly excluded.  I realize they are trying to tie up these loose ends the last couple of episodes, but they didn’t need to.  The audience and characters did not forget everything all of the sudden.  

That said at least they are finally moving forward again.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Does Riley have a thing for MacGyver now? I got the impression they were trying to tip things that way.  

You mean the LFWS? (Looks fraught with significance)

Both when she was with MacGyver and when she was lying in her boyfriend's arms.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Does Riley have a thing for MacGyver now? I got the impression they were trying to tip things that way.  

I think there were hints of that in previous seasons and perhaps they are revisiting that.  And maybe that is why they are spending some time getting all of the relationships reestablished?  To remind the viewers that these two were close before?

• Love 1

As to the question of how they will fit the season in before Magnum comes back,  Magnum and Mcgyver will most likely air back to back for the remainder of the season . The Hawaii Five O series finale is a two hour show on April 3rd

• Love 1
2 hours ago, spar500 said:

As to the question of how they will fit the season in before Magnum comes back,  Magnum and Mcgyver will most likely air back to back for the remainder of the season . The Hawaii Five O series finale is a two hour show on April 3rd

I like that solution as I like both shows, and I hated how they pitted them against each other this year versus having both shows run.  

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, alexa said:

So I am guessing there is some explanation for Maddie, as wouldn’t she have tried to botch the mission from the beginning?  

Didn’t we already have this plot once in the first season? Are they out of ideas? I did think immediately “is that Maddie?” but thought they wouldn’t do that again. And then on the preview it didn’t show or mention Maddie. Very weird.

So we have non-verbal confirmation that Riley does have some feelings for Mac that go beyond friendship. Interesting although I hope it doesn't blow up right away. Mac and Desi don't seem like they work well together as lovers so I am sure they will eventually figure this out once the adrenaline and kiss-cam novelty wears off. And Riley has a boyfriend already although I feel almost certain that he's a bad guy.

I like the new format of the "screen boogers" as we used to call them. It used to just be super simple - paperclip, sack of bullshit, fully charged contrivance. But now they use graphics in a much more dynamic way and it looks a lot better. It's a great way to show what Mac is actually thinking.

I don't buy the Maddie thing at the end and I am not sure what is going on there. She appeared to be as tall as the lackeys when she was sitting with them so that would mean if it was Maddie she'd be sitting on a box or something. It's got to be a deep fake. The team used one in this episode to sell Desi's background. It is clever of the bad guys though. Maddie is not exactly the most open and transparent boss and the team has been betrayed by their female leader before. If you can't beat the team, use the team to beat themselves. It almost worked against the Avengers so why not?

I wonder when Murdoc is going to get dragged into all of this...

• Love 1

Didn't these bad guys really eff with them last season by using technology against them, and that's why they had to shut down? Agree it's a fake, as they can't use the "female boss betrayed them" thing twice. But do agree that the bad guys would know about this and use it against them in this way.

Okay, they are definitely sending out clear "Riley likes Mac" vibes. I agree that the only way I can see them eventually getting together is for Riley's guy to be a plant. 

But seriously, I don't know how good it makes her look to be living with a guy and yet be jealous of Mac and Desi kissing.