Type keyword(s) to search

MacGyver (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

So Desi and MacGyver left 3 people locked in a hot car for hours? Not cool guys. Not cool

She gave them some water, although they were tied up and mouths taped, so they couldn't drink it anyhow.  Maybe she cracked the windows a little.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

She gave them some water, although they were tied up and mouths taped, so they couldn't drink it anyhow.  Maybe she cracked the windows a little.

Yeh. Here’s some water.

Too bad about the duct tape over your mouth.

Edited by Pepper the Cat
  • LOL 1

This was kind of an odd episode.  The 2 separate stories were so very different, and I am also surprised they haven't figured out who has stole their data yet.  I mean, this is TV, things are usually fixed quickly.  lol.  

I am disappointed that they can't find story lines for all their stars, it is only 5 of them. It is bad enough they make one of them stand behind Maddie for an entire episode and they still can't fit the rest into the episode.

• Love 1

What does the pediatrician do if a kid suffers major trauma?  She has no plan for transporting critical patients to an actual hospital?  I get Mac and Desi probably don't want attention drawn to themselves when they're operating illegally in a foreign country, and the refugees don't want attention, but couldn't the doctor at least start an IV, pack the wound better or something to try and get the guard stable enough to transport, then contact her local authorities and just claim somebody dropped the guard outside and not mention all the foreigners?  Of course not, Mac has to create surgical tools on the fly and the pediatrician magically becomes a surgeon.  Oh, and Mac doesn't want to bother checking in and saying they got delayed a bit once they have access to a phone.

They name dropped Leanne - when was the last time we actually showed her?

We're going to contain the bomb and let it blow - and we'll keep everyone including the director and the guy we spent all day trying to not get blown up down here while we do it.  Logical thinking there.

I don't mind the split storylines - it's probably more realistic than constantly having all the characters working on the same project all the time, but most shows would have their separate plots share some connection or theme.  The Bozer plot actually seemed more important, since it sets up a new mysterious villain for the Phoenix to look for, while Mac's plot had no point other than to say how awesome refugees are.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, athelyna said:

They name dropped Leanne - when was the last time we actually showed her?

Leanne being Bozer's girlfriend would rather go pick up the Phoenix director from his cancer treatment than say goodbye to her boyfriend who might get blown up.

11 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Leanne being Bozer's girlfriend would rather go pick up the Phoenix director from his cancer treatment than say goodbye to her boyfriend who might get blown up.

Well, she didn't know he might get blown up. Not her fault.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

My DVR didn't record.. What happened? 

I think they are referring to Mac and the new girl having crush vibes. Bozer was talking about it to Riley quite a bit and saying how dangerous it was when Mac liked someone, meaning for things like dangerous missions. So far nothing has happened. It doesn’t bother me much. I like the new person okay, and it is normal for people to want a relationship at some point. Obv that might not work well in their business though. 

The rest of the episode was about saving some missing backpackers that got caught up in a scheme where a group kidnaps people to sell for labor. It was a good episode. 

The tone of the show has definitely changed since Jack left. Mac barely has time to invent something because he is so busy punching people in the face. Soon, Riley will only use her laptop for hitting people over the head. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The tone of the show has definitely changed since Jack left. Mac barely has time to invent something because he is so busy punching people in the face. Soon, Riley will only use her laptop for hitting people over the head. 

That is a good point. There are fewer inventions, and more fighting. I hadn’t really noticed until you said it. 

And the inventions aren't nearly as interesting or complex as before. This last episode Mac invented the same thing twice, a gas mask connected to a container of gas and then a simple climbing harness. Nothing that required Mac to even explain to the viewers how he made it.

• Love 1

I'll be honest.. Tho I loved jack.. When he was on it felt like the Jack n Mac  comedy hour... I enjoy Design and her less nonsense approach.. I also enjoy seeing Riley and Bozer Do more... Still wish they'd shake up the pairings more.. But there were times in the past when I'd just ff'd whatever Mac n Jack were doing to skip silly banter and Jack going off on some riff... Anywhoo I can't blame Mac if he's into Design... Did yall see her in that dress.. Lard half mursea... Bozer's invention is amazing... They kinda played it for a joke.. But wow.. Hope they keep this up

• Love 1

No thanks. 

Maddie should be in jail. It’s ridiculous that the whole team was willing to commit treason and possibly lead to the death of multiple agents. 

Can we really be done with the Ethan storyline now?

49 minutes ago, deaja said:

No thanks. 

Maddie should be in jail. It’s ridiculous that the whole team was willing to commit treason and possibly lead to the death of multiple agents. 

Can we really be done with the Ethan storyline now?

I liked the episode but agree. She has no reason to help him after how he seemed so ungrateful for her previous help, and of course how easily he moved on. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, bara007 said:

Ok.... I am seeing Riley and Mac, now! why not?:)

Haven't seen the episode.. But I hope not.. I appreciate the brotherly vibe she has with Bozer and Mac... And even tho he says they're like siblings now he had a pretty strong thing for her ( I mean what entity that's affected to human females wouldn't)  it would be weird for him to have to deal with riley and Mac together... Plus with all the stuff they've been thru there has never been a hint that those two could go there... 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

He just hugged and comforted her. Nothing but a brotherly vibe there. Most definitely, 100%, going headlong into Mac/Desi.

Oh.. Whew... I plan to actually watch on my DVR tomm( lazy Sunday)... But generally this isn't a show I mind being spoiled for me... 

8 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Why didn't Riley confirm that Billy was actually cheating on her? 

She didn't ask so it makes me think there is going to be more to it.

Is mother Colton trying to break them up? It seems it may still have significance later...

Otherwise it seems like a very unfinished storyline...

18 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

He just hugged and comforted her. Nothing but a brotherly vibe there. Most definitely, 100%, going headlong into Mac/Desi.

Ugh hope not 😡I see no chemistry between them at all and although I like Desi and have no problems if she joins the cast full time I cringe whenever tptb push anything between her and Mac romantically ! I could see Mac and Riley but no way do I see Mac and Desi so if the idiots in charge pursue this I’ll no longer watch this series and considering it seems to be losing steam I highly doubt they can lose anymore viewers ! 

• Love 2
On 4/27/2019 at 7:45 PM, UNOSEZ said:

I'll be honest.. Tho I loved jack.. When he was on it felt like the Jack n Mac  comedy hour... I enjoy Design and her less nonsense approach.. I also enjoy seeing Riley and Bozer Do more... Still wish they'd shake up the pairings more.. But there were times in the past when I'd just ff'd whatever Mac n Jack were doing to skip silly banter and Jack going off on some riff... Anywhoo I can't blame Mac if he's into Design... Did yall see her in that dress.. Lard half mursea... Bozer's invention is amazing... They kinda played it for a joke.. But wow.. Hope they keep this up

It was hard to get past all her stupid tattoos to even like her in a dress ! Talk about tattoo overkill and takes away her attractiveness big time but then I don’t really understand all the fascination with tattoos being all over your body but that’s me lol 

• Love 1

I say they just bring back the nice African lady Mac was with and leave the team as a ridiculously close super- embedded In each other's personal lives  platonic friends... Also maybe develop Mac and Bozer as best friends.  They keep telling us.. But they rarely spend any real time with each other.. Just the two of them

• Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

Well, considering that Bozer's robot talked about their accelerated heart rates and extensive eye contact, and then Bozer and Riley pretty much discussed the possibility of their pairing all episode, and Desi's longing look over her shoulder before she left for her date, followed by Mac's look of disappointment,  I'm going to advise you buckle up.

@UNOSEZ

I say they just bring back the nice African lady Mac was with and leave the team as a ridiculously close super- embedded In each other's personal lives  platonic friends... Also maybe develop Mac and Bozer as best friends.  They keep telling us.. But they rarely spend any real time with each other.. Just the two of them

Yes, well, the show keeps pairing the two of them on missions together in far-off countries, sharing stories, being in life and death situations together, which only heightens intimacy, which is why they do it. It's the spy version of foreplay.

And if it plays out that way I’ll buckle up and back out of the show !! I just don’t care about watching anything romantic between these two and yup as a viewer I can voice my feeling but simply not watching because I see no reason for them to even seriously pursue it in the first place ! I prefer Mac and Riley but honestly feel Mac should stay unattached from anyone seriously and just keep it that way ! I think even the actor who plays Mac even said more or less the same in an article I read not  too long ago and I agree ! 

Edited by CountryCrazy
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

Well, Bozer made a point of not wanting them together, because Mac's relationships with people he works with wind up disastrous.

So while I'm assuming with multiple episodes regarding their attraction, they won't "go there," perhaps it will end in disaster, they'll consider each other friends, and they'll move on.

But let's face it, Mac is ridiculously attractive, and if they didn't have anyone noticing that he's adorable AND has the brain of Einstein, it would be crazy.

I agree on Mac being attractive and also very intelligent ! And yes women are going to notice him that’s a given 😃

• Love 2
19 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

And wait. Ethan goes to jail, but Matty gets off scot-free? How did that happen?

Matty covered her butt by bringing SecDef (or whoever he was) on board by, first, letting him know he wasn't in danger from them; second, by promising to bring down S Company if he would help them. 

Yes, I mean, Mac should be with someone.  He is ridiculously cute 🙂  Though I understand as a viewer it is hard to watch the show go there given how that usually turns out.

Not a fan of pairing Mac/Desi.  I liked the African lady so I would be fine with her being a mostly off-screen romantic partner for Mac.  The show doesn't really lend itself to showing a many scenes with the non-team member romantic partners unless they are in peril so I am good with her showing up occasionally for happy occasions and then being safe and off-screen the rest of the time.

But, no matter what happens with Mac's romantic life, I will be forever grateful that the Australian lady left before that relationship went very far.  I did not like her at all.

• Love 2
On 4/27/2019 at 9:21 AM, AnimeMania said:

Soon, Riley will only use her laptop for hitting people over the head. 

Ha ha, Did you see MacGyver grab that laptop and start beating people over the head with it. How many people did he kill with that thing, it had to be at least three. Mac should have used his new catchphrase "This is going to hurt, This is going to Megahertz!"

If I was Maddie I would have told everybody that Ethan was testing the security of the building and would be sending recommendations for changes that could be implemented. Maybe that might convince the higher-ups not to send Ethan to prison.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2019 at 10:17 PM, AnimeMania said:

If I was Maddie I would have told everybody that Ethan was testing the security of the building and would be sending recommendations for changes that could be implemented. Maybe that might convince the higher-ups not to send Ethan to prison.

Good plan!  They have issues if one guy can take out a security team and get the unconscious head of the CIA out of the building.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, SweetTooth said:

Still, she was kind of on board for the kidnapping and really didn't make those promises until Ethan was ready to get physical. 

I mean, the man was kidnapped and held with a hood over his head. That is one forgiving dude. But how he can he trust Matty not to kidnap him again, so he'll give in to her demands? Just bizarre all the way around. 

Because Maddie is becoming a Mary Sue and everyone trusts her and believes her even when it is completely non-realistic.  Realistic would be they kidnap him and once he comes to, she is immediately there with her "plan" of "this is why we kidnapped you."  Only after he failed to break under interrogation means the Director of the CIA is not very smart in this situation.

MacGyver and Hawaii 5-0 share a universe and 5-0 has already killed Peter Weller in the "Hookman" episode but I can see how the show wouldn't be able to turn down such a great villain. Star Trek used him twice as well. He was the leader of Terra Prime in the two-parter that was Enterprise's real finale and he was an Admiral Evil in Star Trek Into Darkness.

Mac is being a dick at the end of the episode. Dad tells him, "oh yeah, about that special operation... we were rescuing you" and Mac comes back with "That goes against everything I believe in... you'd better leave!" No one asked you for your opinion on that rescue, it was happening whether you liked it or not! And let's not forget you get rescued by generic Phoenix/police mook squads all the time. You're surrounded by nameless, faceless generic security troops, the people who have the actual job of charging into gunfire on your behalf! You've also been on tons of missions where people died because (and only because) you were present. So don't give your dad shit about it, it's the life you live and it's not going to change. Punk.

• Love 3

I don't see why they couldn't have put something on the rails to increase friction and slow the elevator down or add a wedge to the bottom or just hammer a spike into the side of the building to keep the elevator from falling. But you know drama.

Mac you already did that trick where you un-erased the filed off serial numbers.

That was amazing how that old man got out of his handcuffs, did he pull his hand off the same way he pulled his tooth out? 

Mac do some cardio, unless that old man was part billy goat when he is climbing stairs.

That ending was so dumb.  It was like "Oh, what will the end of the season conflict with Mac be this time? I guess we can do daddy issues. Wait, we already did those.  Oh well, let's do them again!"

On 5/11/2019 at 3:18 AM, dwmarch said:

MacGyver and Hawaii 5-0 share a universe and 5-0 has already killed Peter Weller in the "Hookman" episode but I can see how the show wouldn't be able to turn down such a great villain. Star Trek used him twice as well. He was the leader of Terra Prime in the two-parter that was Enterprise's real finale and he was an Admiral Evil in Star Trek Into Darkness.

Mac is being a dick at the end of the episode. Dad tells him, "oh yeah, about that special operation... we were rescuing you" and Mac comes back with "That goes against everything I believe in... you'd better leave!" No one asked you for your opinion on that rescue, it was happening whether you liked it or not! And let's not forget you get rescued by generic Phoenix/police mook squads all the time. You're surrounded by nameless, faceless generic security troops, the people who have the actual job of charging into gunfire on your behalf! You've also been on tons of missions where people died because (and only because) you were present. So don't give your dad shit about it, it's the life you live and it's not going to change. Punk.

I think you have a good point, but I was glad to hear that he wasn't on board with what his dad did.  I am sure he values his life, but I also know he takes the deaths of other people very personally and is well aware he has a dangerous job.  So I can see him feeling like he does not want to be the person that caused someone else's death directly in that way.  (esp since the other relationship involved was a father / son one as well-- he is basically saying that relationship and those people were just as important)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/13/2019 at 2:07 PM, alexa said:

I think you have a good point, but I was glad to hear that he wasn't on board with what his dad did.  I am sure he values his life, but I also know he takes the deaths of other people very personally and is well aware he has a dangerous job.  So I can see him feeling like he does not want to be the person that caused someone else's death directly in that way.  (esp since the other relationship involved was a father / son one as well-- he is basically saying that relationship and those people were just as important)

The thing that annoyed me is how Angus is missing the bigger picture, and his dad did not point out the simple truth from an inarguable point of logic.   Saving Angus was clearly the right decision.  How many more people would be dead if his father had let him die?  How many lives would have been lost in the disasters, outbreaks, and wars that he would not have been around to stop?  That's not even counting the lives his inventions can and will improve in the future. All lives are not equal and very few people can do what Angus had the capacity to do.  I'm sure his father knew that at the time too and that it was not purely an emotional decision.  Yet even if it was...in retrospect it was still clearly the right call (assuming there were no other options of how) to save Angus.  Taking the should of let me be the one die stance just seems foolish when viewed against this larger picture.

Edited by Xenith22
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Xenith22 said:
On 5/13/2019 at 2:07 PM, alexa said:

The thing that annoyed me is how Angus is missing the bigger picture, and his dad did not point out the simple truth from an inarguable point of logic.   Saving Angus was clearly the right decision.  How many more people would be dead if his father had let him die?  How many lives would have been lost in the disasters, outbreaks, and wars that he would not have been around to stop?  That's not even counting the lives his inventions can and will improve in the future. All lives are not equal and very few people can do what Angus had the capacity to do.  I'm sure his father knew that at the time too and that it was not purely an emotional decision.  Yet even if it was...in retrospect it was still clearly the right call (assuming there were no other options of how) to save Angus.  Taking the should of let me be the one die stance just seems foolish when viewed against this larger picture.

I don't see how we could even discuss this. So many people died in the episode where Murdoc was being held at the Black Site. It would be like saying all those people died to save Bozer. We really don't have enough information to prove that Oversite just used the guy as cannon fodder, he might have just been collateral damage, which Mac has never had a problem with before. The least Mac could do would be to review the mission and get an understanding of the situation rather than just outright vilify his father. Mac has been extracted or rescued thousands of times and all of them couldn't have gone perfectly without any casualties.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't see how we could even discuss this. So many people died in the episode where Murdoc was being held at the Black Site. It would be like saying all those people died to save Bozer. We really don't have enough information to prove that Oversite just used the guy as cannon fodder, he might have just been collateral damage, which Mac has never had a problem with before. The least Mac could do would be to review the mission and get an understanding of the situation rather than just outright vilify his father. Mac has been extracted or rescued thousands of times and all of them couldn't have gone perfectly without any casualties.

The scene with his dad at that point was super short.  It is possible Mac could have had an instant reaction, and then went on to talk to his father more about it later.  We don't know since the season ended right after that. 

I don't really appreciate you saying, I don't see how we could even discuss this?  Isn't that the point of the forum?  I don't see it exactly as you do, but all I really said was that I was glad that Mac didn't instantly say, oh yeah, glad you saved my life and let the other guy die for me!  That isn't in Mac's character to do that.  I didn't really elaborate the effects of that decision for the long term--just the in the moment thinking that took place in the conversation.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, alexa said:

I don't really appreciate you saying, I don't see how we could even discuss this?  Isn't that the point of the forum?  I don't see it exactly as you do

I guess I should have said that I didn't have enough information to be on either Mac or his dad's side and I don't think that Mac did either. Mac was just having an immediate gut reaction, which I don't think was fair to his father.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I guess I should have said that I didn't have enough information to be on either Mac or his dad's side and I don't think that Mac did either. Mac was just having an immediate gut reaction, which I don't think was fair to his father.

Personally after all that his dad put him through, he had every reason to have a gut reaction, IMO. But I understand where you are coming from. 

46 minutes ago, illini1959 said:

What's up with the mid-season airing?

I've been waiting and figured it should be starting this week or next only to read they're holding off until January. 

What????

I hadn't heard it was a mid-season start so thanks for the info.  I'm not surprised - maybe it's just me who feels this way but I think it's been really going downhill, and it was never that high to start with.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, illini1959 said:

What's up with the mid-season airing?

I've been waiting and figured it should be starting this week or next only to read they're holding off until January. 

What????

They kind of announced it last year when they decided to put Magnum on Friday nights.  I was bummed about it too, but glad they were renewed and have been taping the episodes.  

2 hours ago, Trey said:

I hadn't heard it was a mid-season start so thanks for the info.  I'm not surprised - maybe it's just me who feels this way but I think it's been really going downhill, and it was never that high to start with.

I kind of agree, but I still like a lot about it, and will miss it this fall.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

You're welcome. I kind of agree, it's gone downhill some, but there's enough I still like about it that I don't want it gone forever. I can hope against hope Jack will return 😉

14 minutes ago, alexa said:

They kind of announced it last year when they decided to put Magnum on Friday nights.  I was bummed about it too, but glad they were renewed and have been taping the episodes.  

I kind of agree, but I still like a lot about it, and will miss it this fall.  

They move things around so much, I didn't even think of that. I assumed MacGuyver would resume it's usual spot or be close to it. I miss it. I wish people would quit messing with my Friday nights lol 😉

• Love 2