Type keyword(s) to search

MacGyver (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked this episode much better. I was wondering if I missed a Jack mention though?  Usually they say something about where he is. Did they explain his permanent absence or just holding off on that?  I was fine with the episode without him. I think it worked okay, but I did like his relationship with Mac. 

Was George Eads in the opening credits? Or is he gone now?

There were several references to Jack but no mention of where he was. 

11 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I really enjoyed this episode too, I would like to see more of Charlotte. 

I missed Jack but I got a kick out of the references “Where’s your 4th member?” “ he wasn’t pulling his weight”

I missed this remark but it's pretty funny:)

I don't mind that he's gone - his friendship with Mac was good but for the most part I found him to be fairly annoying.

I didn't miss Bozer's girlfriend either.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I really enjoyed this episode too, I would like to see more of Charlotte. 

I missed Jack but I got a kick out of the references “Where’s your 4th member?” “ he wasn’t pulling his weight”

I did hear that comment but I was thinking they meant that Charlotte’s group usually had four?  But I do realize it could be a reference to Jack also. The only reason that doesn’t make sense in some ways though is that most viewers would not know he is gone and they didn’t give us any info to say he is. For example with that one female character they got rid of they had a segment explaining her absence.  I guess with Jack I would not know the actor was leaving if it weren’t for this site. 

• Love 1

I liked the camping episode. I was able to enjoy it with little stress as the gun yielding man was not all that bright. Lol. And Mac was able to shine with his smarts. I thought the side story was a bit weak. I really don’t care much about the ex-husband, but if they did the storyline for Maddy then I guess it is okay. I find either the character or actor for Ethan as weak. He just doesn’t show enough care for Mandy in my opinion. I get he moved on but there should be some more emotion to the whole thing. 

• Love 1

I really  thought that when they first introduced Ethan he would end up joining the team as Jack's replacement. But nope he's just a cheating turd. He didnt even tell his new wife fake wife or however that works with his marriage to Maddie and the witness protection thing that he has married before. She had like no questions about his life before he joined a terrorist group. I still think they are both dumb for bringing a kid into that world. 

This has been kinda bothering me for a while Riley's long nails are so impractical. I want to see that girl try to actually try and use a computer with those. And her helping with Mac's gunshot wound trying to pick up the crushed plant.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode.  The A story had a good, cohesive plot and I loved Mac's display of scientific expertise.  Apparently you need a good knowledge of botany to go into the wild. Even though Riley and Bozer saved Mac's life, they didn't really accomplish what they set out to do; so, if they end up in a wilderness someday they won't have the skills to survive.

B story was okay.  Don't give a rat's ass about Ethan or his wife but I liked seeing Matty get some sort of closure.  And I guess they were setting up Jack's departure.

Oh, that was sad at the end.  Jack and Riley crying got to me. Despite what happened you know at least some of them will miss each other. As for the story, I kept wondering about the grandma. Not so much she had anything to do with it, but that she was gone a lot. I also thought it was selfish of the dad to want to go to the wedding. Of course something was going to happen to ruin her day. Why couldn’t he have just watched in the shadows or kept it more secret?

• Love 2

Does anyone know if they are bringing someone in to replace Jack? I would be perfectly happy if they did not. I did not like the woman last season (I forgot her name) that was a regular but was gone somewhere in the middle of the season. I am fine with Leanna in small doses, but would rather her not be a permanent fixture either.

2 hours ago, MDL said:

IIRC, when Jack told Mac that he was going on this assignment, didn't he mention his replacement, referring to the replacement as a "she"???

Yes, he did. 

That was a decent send-off for Jack. 

I agree, the father should have known bad things would happen at the wedding.  Once his gang knew he was going to throw them under the bus they would be out to get him.  He really should have suspected his own mother.

15 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Could it be Amy Ackers character? 

Ack! Is she supposed to be added to the show?

eta: I see she's already been on the show.  I can't honestly say I remember her character.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Since they're having a female take over Jack's spot, and one that's not noticeably older than Mac, I can see where this will [most likely] inevitably end up (if renewed for S4).

see: new Magnum and genderbending Higgins to a more Magnum-aged female.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Since they're having a female take over Jack's spot, and one that's not noticeably older than Mac, I can see where this will [most likely] inevitably end up (if renewed for S4).

I was underwhelmed by the casting. I do not think I have seen the actress in anything so she could be fine, but I was hoping they were going to cast someone around the age of Jack or Maddie. 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I was underwhelmed by the casting. I do not think I have seen the actress in anything so she could be fine, but I was hoping they were going to cast someone around the age of Jack or Maddie. 

Its a little disappointing with the casting choice because its feels like taking the easy way out.  Not to mention incredibly cliched and trope-y.

"We need a new 'Jack', and we'll probably need a new (& long-term) LI for Mac in the near future [starting with some UST & WT/WT]... so why not just kill two birds with one stone??" .

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

The cast doesn't need another very younger person. George Eads brought an older dynamic and perspective to the cast, one that was very needed. Having another twenty-something isn't smart. I hope the run with this new character is only temporary, and that it will lead to another jack-esque person for very soon. Mac needs the older perspective in his life, especially since he's so smart. He needs wisdom, not smart-ass or smart-IQ. 

• Love 4

I've seen this kind of thing before.

Step 1: Endear the new guy/girl to the audience by making them a total badass the first episode/book/whatever they appear in.

Step 2: Watch as the new guy/girl's competence sinks like a stone and they proceed to get more and more grating with each passing episode until the viewers end up despising them.

Step 3: Remove said new character now that the viewers hate them.

Step 4: Repeat until the series dies, likely after nearly every one of the original main characters is gone.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but it happens way way too much when an established series brings in a new character, especially one that exists to replace another character that people liked.

• Love 1

I like new!Jack.  But I really don't want the writers to Ziva-beatify her into a sooper speshul Mary Sue superhero.  I do like that she prefers not to go to guns if it isn't necessary--except for animal abusers!  But...seriously...they're going to have to get a better stunt double for her, the second half of that fight scene at the containers was embarrassing in how obvious it was that it wasn't the actress.  

I loved the "Riley is never wrong" typed chryon, but I'm concerned that's foreshadowing. It seems that new!Jack's explanation for her missing four days was too pat, and too targeted to hit Riley's soft spots.  Or it could be true.  Oh dear gawd, don't tell me that new!Jack is Catherine2.0 from Lenkov's other show, Hawaii 5-0.

It also seems to me they should have been getting the hell out of that flaming warehouse full of munitions and explosives.  But it was worth it for the no fire-fire pit quip.

LOVED the Maddie BANG sticker!

• Love 1

Seems like every episode is going to have lots of hand-to-hand combat. I just hope that they have enough story so that 2 characters are not always standing behind Maddie directing the others where to go. I don't miss Jack. Get those women undercover wearing something sexy.

Aren't police dogs trained better than to go with a stranger?  The dog may have been good at sniffing out guns but otherwise seemed badly trained, running away from his handler, not coming when signal given.

18 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

LOVED the Maddie BANG sticker!

Me too:)

I thought Desi's first appearance was good. Apparently she's just recurring for now, until they find out if she clicks with the audience.

• Love 1

Still love the show.. But they really gotta figure out what they're doing with bozer and his GF.. She seems super competent.. But its like they wrote themselves into a corner starting bozer off as the best friend with no real skill and haven't found a solid thing for him to do... And because of that he feels superfluous.. Did enjoy new jack way more than the lady they brought in earlier.. I forget her name the blonde woman from Australia.. So I hope she sticks

On 2/16/2019 at 8:31 AM, notcreative enough said:

I swear if Mac hooks up with new Jack I will be so done with the show. Whatever happened to his girlfriend anyway. 

There was a moment between Desi and Riley that made me wonder if they would have the guts to go there. I don't remember if Riley is still dating the bounty hunter. Not sure about Mac's girlfriend either but if she has an ounce of genre-savvy in her, she dumped him with the quickness.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:31 AM, notcreative enough said:

I swear if Mac hooks up with new Jack I will be so done with the show. Whatever happened to his girlfriend anyway. 

Are you talking about the girl in Africa or wherever she was?  There was an episode that they talked about them breaking up for her safety, I believe, and also because he was staying in LA and they wouldn't see each other. 

On 2/16/2019 at 8:57 PM, UNOSEZ said:

Still love the show.. But they really gotta figure out what they're doing with bozer and his GF.. She seems super competent.. But its like they wrote themselves into a corner starting bozer off as the best friend with no real skill and haven't found a solid thing for him to do... And because of that he feels superfluous.. Did enjoy new jack way more than the lady they brought in earlier.. I forget her name the blonde woman from Australia.. So I hope she sticks

I have been getting confused about the girlfriend because at times it looks like they are keeping her, and then she disappears for a while at key moments.  I don't care one way or another, but use her in the storylines or not--make up your mind, show.  I did like the new person.  She seemed to fit in well and will blend in better over time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SweetTooth said:

No. There was a blonde Ausralian woman who joined the team for like five minutes and then just vanished.

The jury's still out on the new person. At least they softened her up within the episode and didn't wait. Because that cockiness isn't interesting.

I'll have to wait a couple of episodes and see how she does.

But she wasn't Mac's girlfriend so that is why I thought you meant the girl from Africa.  But yes the blonde girl was gone quickly--they did show a video of her in a hospital to send her off of the show.

For a specialty gifted dog, he seemed very poorly trained. 

What's the opposite of "Sausage Fest"? Pretty soon, MacGyver is going to come back as a woman.

I think I saw all this happen in 'Person of Interest' when Shaw showed up.  It didn't work for me on that show either. I agree with an above poster. Mac is young. He needs someone older who can give him life advise.  Other than Maddie, is anyone older than Mac now? Mac and Jack had a good dynamic going.  I can't see him having that same sort of relationship with the new girl. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I've enjoyed the two episodes with Design.. I didn't dislike Jack but I wasn't a huge fan of all the silly joking.. It was always a little to light-hearted to me.. Based on what exactly they were doing... She also gets on well with boxer and ridley.. Was happy to see bozer back in the lab.. Still wish they would pin down exactly what it is he's doing.. He's like a utility piece with his smattering of skills.. But I never know.. And now  Phoenix has been breached so in excited to see what happens next

• Love 1

I thought it was a good episode, though I will say I prefer episodes that end on a happy note. I like a clean wrap up versus something alluding to future problems. That said, this show relies on the characters and their workplace so I am sure they will all be fine and work it out. Lol

But I did really like the working relationship between the new character and Mac. Her seriousness is an asset to missions, but she is also a nice person. Unless she is the one causing their new issues. 🙂

1 hour ago, Trey said:

We are not getting a new MacGyver tonight because CBS is showing an interview with R. Kelly. According to my onscreen listing anyhow.

Yes, that sucks. I really do not care about this interview. Will they show the episode next week or skip it?  I can’t tell from the online articles. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Watching Dad's slow and painful death should be a good time for my nice lighthearted show. 

Really, show?

Thanks, but no thanks.

I actually think he won't be on much, and they are just starting his exit from the show so that when he does die they can finish it quickly.  I could be wrong, but I don't think he will be on much since he hasn't since the story started.

Murdoc vs. Murdoc is always fun and this episode was no exception. There were a few loose ends though. Next Generation Murdoc puts out a hit on himself but they never quite get around to explaining how he got email access. OG Murdoc was dead and buried but somehow survived and dug himself up.

I also think it is a terrible idea to put the two of them in cells across from each other. They will eventually make friends again and stage another breakout.

I liked Desi's purple leather jacket. I haven't been a fan of her bush jackets thus far, it's nice to see her with some actual style. Also, Mac reminisces about Jack but I do not miss him. Desi's quiet competence doesn't take me out of the show whereas Jack could be such a dumbass sometimes that it made me wonder how he ever get out of any situation alive.

• Love 3

I thought this episode was kind of boring.

1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

Next Generation Murdoc puts out a hit on himself but they never quite get around to explaining how he got email access.

I think they said something about his son may have somehow provided the access.

Shouldn't Boozer by dead (everybody else was) or at least have a wider area of damage since a shotgun was fired from a long distance.

15 minutes ago, deaja said:

I usually find Murdoc episodes to be fun, but this one was not. 

No.  Why don't they just shoot him, and his mentor too?

I figured out it was a plan to get Murdoc out of jail but I thought he and his mentor were working together.

Anyone else utterly SICK of Murdoc? The guy should have been killed a half dozen times by now and if nothing else had no ability to escape. It's annoying enough when comic books do it but this is a show that at least pretends to be semi-realistic.

• Love 2

I predicted that the two criminals would end up connected somehow at the end. Before that happened though, I realized what a bad idea that was. Letting two murdering criminals talk to each other will only lead to plotting. 

• Love 1