Type keyword(s) to search

Potatoe/Potahto: Cast in other Roles

Yeah, the title sucks, but I suck at witty titles and all the good ones were already taken for other topics. Sue me.

Anyhoo. I've been watching Boston Legal, where Candice was again on my screen for another blissful five years, and I'm doing a lot of 'Hey! It's "character" from Murphy!' So in addition to Candice playing the most awesome Shirley Schmidt, there was Leonard Jordan, who played Kyle, in Season one's "Kyle". The inmate that became Murphy's secretary and drove everyone nuts! And I can't believe I didn't remember that John Larroquette, who played Judge Nate Campbell here, also played Candice's love interest on Boston Legal as Carl Sack!

@GHScorpiosRule, is the "potatoe" in the thread title a poke at Dan Quayle (as the show loved to do) or a typo?  I thought it was the former, which made me laugh, but then in the original post you said you suck at witty titles, so now I wonder every time I look at it and it's making me irrationally curious, so I must know.

15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

@GHScorpiosRule, is the "potatoe" in the thread title a poke at Dan Quayle (as the show loved to do) or a typo?  I thought it was the former, which made me laugh, but then in the original post you said you suck at witty titles, so now I wonder every time I look at it and it's making me irrationally curious, so I must know.

It’s the former! I was trying to be creative. 😆😆

10 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Gotta be Quayle.

He’s the gift that keeps on giving!😂

• Love 5
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It’s the former! I was trying to be creative. 😆😆

I assumed so, but then your post was making me second guess that assumption, because I thought that was quite witty given the show's long history of having fun with Quayle.  Now I can quit wondering.

Onto the core cast in other roles:

Poor Joe Regalbuto, whatever he's in, I say, "Oh!  It's Frank Fontana" - whether the guest shot was before or Murphy Brown.  But he's always great in those roles, so it's not like he's always playing Frank, just that I so thoroughly associate him with the role -- with Major Crimes, it's "the one where Frank Fontana drowns the best man."  Who's the Boss?  The one where Frank Fontana is a priest.  The Golden Girls has an episode I call the one where Frank Fontana is the asshole son-in-law.  Etc.

Sister Act 2 was on the other night as I went around the dial, and I saw Robert Pastorelli in one of the first scenes and went, "Aw, Eldin."  He was in Remington Steele and Cagney & Lacey a couple of times, plus a bunch of other '80s shows I watched but wasn't enamored by.  He was in Dances With Wolves, too.

Pat Corley was also in Cagney & Lacey, and a whole bunch of other TV shows I watched around that time, including Moonlighting and Scarecrow & Mrs. King.

Faith Ford is another C&L alum, but I haven't seen much of the other stuff she did.  I haven't seen much of Grant Shaud's or Charles Kimbrough's other work, either.

I hate Sweet Home Alabama for a variety of reasons, but if I'm going around the dial and happen upon one of Candice Bergen's scenes, I will stop and watch.  Especially if it's when she tells Mary Kay Place, "Why don't you go back to your double-wide and fry something."  I'm normally not down with insulting people based on who they are rather than what they do, and I like Place's character, but in the context of my overall feelings about the film and its message, I find myself loving that put-down (when I'm supposed to cheer the punch that follows it).

I also love her as the villain in Miss Congeniality

And I remember her playing Sydney Bittle Barrows in The Mayflower Madam, but no specifics.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I assumed so, but then your post was making me second guess that assumption, because I thought that was quite witty given the show's long history of having fun with Quayle. 

Cool! I ended up doing something witty!😊

25 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

She's been in several of those sappy Hallmark movies.

Faith also had that sitcom with Kelly Ripa, Glory and Hope(?), where she played Ripa’s older sister? I never watched it, but I remember how Ripa was doing double duty between that show and her talk show.

Candice was also in that trashy mini-series Hollywood Wives based on the trashy novel of the same name by Jackie  Collins.  

I need to check out that scene from Sweet Home Alabama. I’m really not a fan of those kinds of movies. But I am a fan of Candice Bergen.

27 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I need to check out that scene from Sweet Home Alabama. I’m really not a fan of those kinds of movies. But I am a fan of Candice Bergen.

I loved the line  "I've never met anyone so manipulative, so deceitful, .........and I'm in politics."  Pure Murphy in another role.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, Bastet said:

I haven't seen much of Charles Kimbrough's other work, either.

He did a lot of work on Broadway, and he is amazing.  I loved him in Sunday In The Park With George.  That was released on VHS, so I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

• Love 2

I finished watching Sex and the City recently, and I LOVED Candice as Carrie's editor at Vogue, Enid. She was just awesome on that show.

And this isn't quite the same as having another role, but I got Faith Ford's cookbook years ago and it's a great read, even if you don't necessarily feel like cooking anything. Fun fact: She used to frequently cook meals for the Murphy Brown cast on the set. And Candice Bergen wrote the foreword to the book! 

Here's the Amazon link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Faith-Classic-Healthy-Southern/dp/1416569626

Joe Regalbuto also directed several episodes of Friends, and I always like seeing his name pop up in the credits when I watch the show. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

Joe Regalbuto was on two episodes of Barney Miller over the years.  Once as an over-zealous sanitation cop, and once as a representative for presumably Monsanto, who made Agent Orange (I don't think they ever named the company specifically, but a man who was arrested blamed his exposure to Agent Orange for his erratic behavior).

• Love 1

Wasn't JR a guest in a Night Court, where Dan was forced to be part of a sting, and it turned out the target of the sting was another task force that was stinging the first task force?  Lead agents (of which JR was one) were named Bert and Ernie.

• LOL 2

Just caught Jake McDorman in the premiere episode of What We Do In The Shadows - The Series. I'm not sure if this is a one-off or he's a recurring character - IMDb only has him listed as appearing in one episode, but that's how they list most of the roles that aren't regulars. Either way, it's nice to see him again.

The mid-80s one-season wonder Street Hawk is on Amazon Prime. It's basically Knight Rider on a motorcycle, minus the snarky A.I., and Joe Regalbuto is his tech-guy-in-the-earpiece long before that became a staple of the superhero genre.

Dude's a trailblazer, guys.

• Love 2

I watched Ideal Home over the weekend, which had Jake McDorman as the estranged criminal son of Steve Coogan's character, whose arrest sends his own kid to stay with Grandpa and drives the whole plot. It was weird to see him in a largely unsympathetic antagonist role, as Jake usually plays very likeable characters.

• Love 1