Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E02: Week 2

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Unrelated, but if Megan last name I can’t spell is the SO of that bearded guy, their home life must be exhausting with all the sarcasm and one upping.  I wasn’t amused by the guy who was supposed to be funny, either.  All the jokes about Colton’s virginity are getting really stale. 

I agree with all of this.   I usually like Nick Offerman, but he and Megan were trying too hard to be edgy and it came across as sleazy to me.   Didn't like their segment at all.   And as for Billy, just no.   I have never found him to be funny.   Ditto the endless virgin jokes.  

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Unrelated, but if Megan last name I can’t spell is the SO of that bearded guy, their home life must be exhausting with all the sarcasm and one upping.  I wasn’t amused by the guy who was supposed to be funny, either.  All the jokes about Colton’s virginity are getting really stale. 

I know a lot of people think those two are so funny together and the couple themselves often talk about the things they do/say at home, and I just find it all tiring.  I like him on his crafts show that he started, but I don't care for the banter that went on in the Bachelor at all.  It was awkward, uncomfortable, and most of it was not funny.  The girls looked a little bit like, what on earth?  And that comedian was awful.  

• Love 9

That one-on-one date was awesome!  They were in the desert at the spot where Captain Kirk fought the Gorn in the famous Star Trek episode.  Then they went aboard the USS Poseidon (aka-  Queen Mary) for a dinner!  I was in geek heaven! LOL

So far, I don't like any of the women on the show, but Colton does seem like a nice guy to hang out with.  I think he'd be happier with a "normal" woman (i.e.-not one of these wanna-be model/actress/TVpersonality types).

• Love 11
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Colton runs off with Billy, and it becomes the greatest moment of television, ever. 

True!. Billy & the other 2 comedians were very raunchy by Bachelor Standards. Billy said he turned down a guest spot on the Goldbergs for the Bachelor.

• Love 2

To my huge surprise, I'm warming to Colton as the Bachelor.  His tweets last night were pretty funny and he seems to not take himself so seriously off and on the show.  I'll probably change my mind halfway through the season but he's making up for the gaggle of wannabe Instagram Influencers vying to be his one  true love.   Most of them are auditioning for Bachelor in Paradise and it's annoying to watch. 

Demi doesn't have the confidence or the swagger to be the new Corrine.  I actually cringed in second hand embarrassment when she was trying so hard to be sexy during the robe/massage scene.   And when she simpered "You're cute" during their conversation on the group date I wanted to throw a pillow at the TV.  She hasn't learned that being a sexy, bold, confident lover/woman is in the actions and not the words.   She just seems so much younger than the other 23 year olds when she acts that way.   On the topic of acting young, Tracy really needs to examine her life if someone touching the date rose causes that much angst.  You are 31.   It's a flower.  Drink your wine and chill.  

IMO Elyse is beautiful and seems poised so I hope she's the next Bachelorette if she doesn't get the final prize (?).  

ETA:  When Courtney said that she was the oldest of 5 and the youngest was 2, I immediately thought that the 2 year was her daughter being passed off as her sibling.  I've been reading too many books set in the past. 

Edited by LBS
  • Love 21
33 minutes ago, LBS said:

ETA:  When Courtney said that she was the oldest of 5 and the youngest was 2, I immediately thought that the 2 year was her daughter being passed off as her sibling.  I've been reading too many books set in the past. 

It happens in real life too!  And not that long ago.....   However, there's also blended families and siblings from different parents.  I don't call my technically half brother my half brother out loud to people, I just refer to him as my brother, so you never know.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Hannah and Miss North Carolina are part of the Miss USA contest where the only requirement is that big toothy smile you mentioned and a willingness to walk up and down a stage in a bikini while strangers inspect you for cellulite.  When Hannah started talking about her deep insecurities and an underlying fear that she wouldn't measure up, I thought, whose bright idea was it that pageants would be good for this girl?  Now she's placed herself in another position where she'll be judged  superficially.  Why, Hannah?  Just stop it!  Go home and get a degree in something useful and self-esteem will follow.

It was genuinely heartbreaking to hear her say that she that it "killed her" that she doesn't have her purity/virginity to give to her future husband, and that's why she feels she has to be perfect.  What a textbook example of the harm of worshiping virginity!  In her mind, she now believes she has literally NOTHING to offer him, since she already gave away every bit of the most important thing there is about her.  So she overcompensates, trying to develop this other perfect persona, so much that she is no longer her.  

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

It was genuinely heartbreaking to hear her say that she that it "killed her" that she doesn't have her purity/virginity to give to her future husband, and that's why she feels she has to be perfect.  What a textbook example of the harm of worshiping virginity!  In her mind, she now believes she has literally NOTHING to offer him, since she already gave away every bit of the most important thing there is about her.  So she overcompensates, trying to develop this other perfect persona, so much that she is no longer her.  

I thought that was bullshit and she was playing to Colton.  These women will do and say anything to win against the other women.  And it’s all about beating the other women especially this one has an actual nemesis on the show.  

• Love 15
49 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

It’s 2019-how about we stop with jokes accusing someone of being secretly gay. There is no way to respond without being offensive to someone. FWIW-I believe people when they tell me they are gay or straight. If they actually do something different in their bedroom that is not my business.

Good point!

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I thought that was bullshit and she was playing to Colton.  These women will do and say anything to win against the other women.  And it’s all about beating the other women especially this one has an actual nemesis on the show.  

Her freezing up for the entire date prior to the dinner (including all the part we didn't see, but what Colton referred to in his ITM) was def not playing to Colton and helping her win; if anything, it was having the opposite effect.

• Love 4

First time watching after a few years.  Things don’t change.  The girls are still catty and desperate.  Now the guy is a virgin ..guess they ran out of ideas.  I don’t mind a girl being a virgin, but a guy????   Doesn’t seem right somehow.  Two virgins together in some of these cases.  Will they know the ropes?  Blind leading the blind, haha.

• Love 1

All right, I read Cole-ton's tweets and he does have a self-deprecating sense of humor and seems pretty easy-going.   Very easy-going, in fact, sort of a beta guy.   Apparently the ratings are up from last week and from last year.     I guess it can't hurt to watch an entire season of a Bachelor who seems like a good guy.       

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Riplet68 said:

How come whenever hear from Aly Raisman on him?

I think ABC would do ANYTHING to get Aly on camera. But there are some things working against them -- Aly was a big part of the Larry Nassar trial and the long-form (well deserved) public shaming of the USOC and US Gymnastics. She might not be in the right frame of mind to go on a show like this after reliving all of that.

And I don't know if this is a factor, but we know who Aly is because of the Olympics, which is on NBC. She might be working on something with them for the Tokyo Olympics. 

Or maybe she thinks Colton is a clueless blockhead :)

Last ep didn't quite go like I hoped. I can use one less person on TV shouting "Roll Tide" at me.

If ABC really liked Colton, they would have given him an Auburn girl :)

Edited by phlebas
typo
  • Love 4

I think Aly's moved on. I know she is/was dating an NHLer. I can't imagine going on TV to talk about your ex is high on her to-do list. She seems to have class, so I can't see that being on her radar.

Edited by threebluestars
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, oakville said:

Is Demi a producer plant?

Whatever would make you think this ; ?

I think Tracy resembles Heidi Fleiss.

And beauty pageant Hannah reminds me of Britt from DUI Chris's season, but with more cerebral vacancy.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Evenshorter said:

I want Demi to make it hometowns just to see if her mother makes it out of jail in time.

Here’s your once chance Fancy don’t let me down.  I wonder if she’ll be drunk the day her mom gets out of prison? 

Yes, Tracy does look like Heidi Fleiss. 

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Hannah B - once I knew she was a pageant girl, that's all I saw.  Big toothy smile, like she's onstage modeling a swimsuit,  coy grin and then a giggle, when she has to answer a question,  Then, not being able to come up with words for a TOAST - like "here's to getting to know each other better"  or "Here's to learning to ride a horse on your birthday!"   She seems so empty headed, just dim, unable to form a coherent sentence.  

Makes you wonder how she answered any of the pageant questions?  I picture another Miss Teen South Carolina.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Her freezing up for the entire date prior to the dinner (including all the part we didn't see, but what Colton referred to in his ITM) was def not playing to Colton and helping her win; if anything, it was having the opposite effect.

Because she sucks at the game.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Here’s your once chance Fancy don’t let me down.  I wonder if she’ll be drunk the day her mom gets out of prison? 

Yes, Tracy does look like Heidi Fleiss. 

That’s gonna be stuck in my head all night 😂😂 Is she gonna pick her up in the rain? 

Agreed on the Heidi Fliess comparisons as well. It’s interesting to me how many of these candidates look so much older than their actual age. 

• Love 4

Elyse is beautiful. I don't see Lauren Bacall, but I do see Christina Hendricks. 

I know it's all producer shenanigans, but really, I'm too old to sit through the tropes of Demi and Traci. I'd like  to see them gone sooner rather than later.

Alex B., who was sent home, had a very masculine voice and affect.

I like Nicole and her spunk, but was disappointed with the immediate crying over Colton. She hadn't struck me as the type. 

The airhorn girl, please leave.

I hope we get to hear more from Cassie. So far she's seemed level-headed.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, Suzysite said:

22 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I agree with all of this.   I usually like Nick Offerman, but he and Megan were trying too hard to be edgy and it came across as sleazy to me.   Didn't like their segment at all.   And as for Billy, just no.   I have never found him to be funny.   Ditto the endless virgin jokes.  

I agree and I didn’t find them funny at all in this situation. So many blogs and recaps found their segment to be hysterical - I’m just confused about that.

They were trying too hard be funny and raunchy.

Megan really doesn’t need hair down to her butt and Nick doesn’t need that creepy beard.

However, I’m old school, drank too much wine and should have been asleep a couple of hours ago, so there’s that.

So, so tired of the virgin part of this crap fest. There should be more to a person than their sexual status. But then, they picked Colton to be bachelor, so ABC got what they got

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Riplet68 said:

How come whenever hear from Aly Raisman on him?

That's the only thing I like about him; I'm sure she doesn't want her name dragged into this mess, and he respects that.

9 hours ago, phlebas said:

And I don't know if this is a factor, but we know who Aly is because of the Olympics, which is on NBC.

She's competed on DWTS, so I don't think ABC vs NBC is the issue, she probably just doesn't want anything to do with The Bachelor.

8 hours ago, lizajane said:

I think Tracy resembles Heidi Fleiss.

Thank you! I kept raking my brain that she reminds me of someone notorious, but couldn't put my finger on it. 

3 hours ago, kalibean said:

It’s interesting to me how many of these candidates look so much older than their actual stated age. 

Fixed that for you! ;)

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Arkay said:

Elyse is beautiful. I don't see Lauren Bacall, but I do see Christina Hendricks. 

Elyse reminds me of a contestant on America's Next Top Model. She was from Russia and her husband was much older than her. She also had a baby daughter. I don't remember her name or season but maybe someone with a better memory will know who she is.

• Love 2

I think I’ve officially aged out of this show. I was only interested in watching to keep up with Paradise, but even that is losing its appeal. I’m in my early 40s, I’ve been watching since Firestone... i didn’t watch Becca, kept an eye on Paradise but this... none of these people are serious about finding love, which is fine, it just all seems super ridiculous now.

• Love 7

I have so little to say about this episode, but I'm just going to add on: Erika, who was gorgeous and seemed funny last week (the girl who brought the nuts), was sent home this week, and the only clip this episode we really saw of her was telling Colton that she was going to be honest with him about kids and right now could just picture herself with a bunch of dogs. I feel like this is the first time we've heard a woman on this show say that kids were not 100% in her plan and it was really refreshing... unfortunately, I think they only drive the narrative on this show that everyone wants the family experience- house, wedding, and babies. Wish more contestants would acknowledge that not everyone's life has to follow that formula.

• Love 19
14 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Well, there are__ a few women(2?)  there who are in their early 30's  right?

And it was SO BRAVE of that one girl to get up on stage and admit to being "older." ;) You'd think she got up there and admitted to being a drug addict or something, instead of being *gasp*, in her early 30s with the way the 21 year olds reacted.

Demi doesn't have the confidence or the swagger to be the new Corrine.  I actually cringed in second hand embarrassment when she was trying so hard to be sexy during the robe/massage scene.   And when she simpered "You're cute" during their conversation on the group date I wanted to throw a pillow at the TV.  She hasn't learned that being a sexy, bold, confident lover/woman is in the actions and not the words.   She just seems so much younger than the other 23 year olds when she acts that way.   On the topic of acting young, Tracy really needs to examine her life if someone touching the date rose causes that much angst.  You are 31.   It's a flower.  Drink your wine and chill.

Yeah, her hip-swinging march down the stairs to kiss Colton was embarrassing to watch too. But I did laugh out loud at Tracy actually vocalizing TO her about the alleged sin of touching the rose and I give the girl a little credit for not laughing in her face. It's one of those silly things that you can build up in your own mind if you're already mad at someone, but you SHOULD feel instantly ridiculous once you say it out loud. 

Yeah, I kind of have to lean toward her being at least somewhat sincere about that because the girl does not seem capable of convincingly creating a narrative for herself, as evidenced by her inability to even make up a simple toast. Granted, Colton's toast sounded like something that was either written for him or was something he'd pre-written and practiced in the mirror for an hour or so before the date, but how hard is it to string together a few generic words for a toast? 

That date was so genuinely awkward, I started to feel bad for the girl...and yet secretly kinda hoping there was a reason that they inserted her pageant nemesis' confessional about her "flipping a switch" and that we were going to see a show. But no, just the standard "she finally opened up and now she gets a rose..." Ho hum. 

Makes you wonder how she answered any of the pageant questions?  I picture another Miss Teen South Carolina.

LOL, that clip never gets old. "The Iraq" and the idea that "asian countries" need to learn from our educational system. Yeah, those poor Japanese kids really need a leg up from the country that produced pillars of brilliance such as Miss Teen South Carolina...

I wasn’t amused by the guy who was supposed to be funny, either.  All the jokes about Colton’s virginity are getting really stale. 

I had to FF through that guy, is he supposed to be a comedian? And the virginity stuff is so incredibly stale. Even a 12-year-old would be less immature on this topic than this show.

He is calling names at the RC that I've never heard before. "Who?" Oh well.

It must be hotter than hades since everyone has shiny-ass faces. Not a good look.

There were so many faces sitting around waiting for the date card that I never saw before. And I think I watched the RC (and was dead sober doing so) and I don't remember who went home.

Doesn't Botox cause shiny face? I'd ordinarily think this demographic was too young to use Botox, but with the type that this show attracts, I'd guess way too many of the 20-somethings are already on that bandwagon.

Never Been Kissed and Cassie (?) are both pretty, but they both remind me of each other.  Never Been Kissed has really cute dimples.

As I was typing out the question "who does Never Been Kissed look like," it finally came to me. It's Anna Camp, aka Aubry from Pitch Perfect 

aubry.jpg

• Love 7

Billy Eichner made a joke that perhaps Colton was gay and didn't know it. When Colton was on the one on one date with Hannah he spoke about his competitive family and how he felt like he had to fall in line with what they wanted for him. I do wonder if he's gay and it didn't fit with his parents idea of who he should be, hence the virgin status. He just opted out. I just don't buy that he's too busy to have a relationship and that he needed a relationship to have a sexual encounter. It's easier to believe that he's been raised in a homophobic culture and he's petrified to live his truth.

• Love 8

I watched this in the background while doing other stuff so honestly I missed a lot. I just can’t get into it. Maybe as the dimwits whittle away, I’ll find it more interesting. But I really think that it is because every young 20 something I meet makes me grit my teeth in pain so I don’t know if I’ll like it any better. Someone above mentioned watching it to keep tabs on Paradise folks and that’s how I feel right now. 

• Love 3
On 1/14/2019 at 8:07 PM, tennisgurl said:

Oh yeah, more Nick and Megan, and less Colton! I saw them in a comedy show a few years ago, they were very raunchy, but hilarious! I met them afterwards, they were so nice! They let me pet their dog :) 

Nick apologized to my mom for using bad language lol

Love them as a couple!  And they are both naturally so funny.

(I wish Megan would cut her hair though!)

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

So, so tired of the virgin part of this crap fest. There should be more to a person than their sexual status.

That's probably why he and the show harp on it so much. His virginity is the only "interesting" thing about him. He seems nice enough, but the guy is as dull as an eggshell white wall. 

I have to admit though, I'm not actually watching this season, for the above reason, I just find him so dull, but I'm reading the board because you guys are forking awesome and reading Sharleen's blog because she, too, is awesome, so it's helping me to follow along. 

• Love 4

Someone please tell Tracie to part her hair on the side to soften up that awful hairline and forehead.  She really looks like a more busted version than Scheana from Vanderpump Rules.

Colton reminds me of a slightly better looking, less funny version of Chris Pratt's dumb character on Parks & Rec.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:07 AM, Suzysite said:

Totally agree on Billy.  I never understood his appeal.

• Love 3
On 1/15/2019 at 12:44 PM, LuvMyShows said:

However, a lot of these women on the shows do the "I put up a wall" schtick b/c once they "open up" they think the Bachelor will fall in love knowing he was the only one to break down her wall!  It's the "I'll act like I'm complex so I'm a mystery to him."

Meanwhile, I find it irritating that Nicole seemed to be upset she didn't get a rose after talking about her twin brother's autism story.  It made me think she was "opening up" to curry favor with him.  I'm sure she wasn't but the way she griped about not getting the rose after "opening up" made me feel dirty after falling for her while she told that story.

22 hours ago, Arkay said:

Alex B., who was sent home, had a very masculine voice and affect.

Thought the same thing!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I'm sure she wasn't but the way she griped about not getting the rose after "opening up" made me feel dirty after falling for her while she told that story.

She "opened up" only because a production assistant came up to her with a clipboard and said, "Okay, Nicole.  You're Number 14 and you're up in 10 minutes.  Be sure you have your brother's story down pat.  You have only three minutes with Colton."

5 hours ago, sasha206 said:

(I wish Megan would cut her hair though!)

Hey!   Nick wants that stuff RED and SPREAD all over the pillow when he's making sweet, sweet love!

Edited by HaaCHOO
apostrophe
  • Love 4
On 1/15/2019 at 10:24 AM, Evenshorter said:

I want Demi to make it hometowns just to see if her mother makes it out of jail in time.

Yeah, I'd like to see her in her hometown.  I picture every girl she went to school with putting up "welcome" signs, "Demi Who?  Her Name is Darlene!"   "Go Back to Ho-Wood, Darlene!"  "You Got Yer Nurve!"   "Interior Designer, My Ass"  ....             (I'm just making up that name: Darlene)

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Elyse reminds me of a contestant on America's Next Top Model. She was from Russia and her husband was much older than her. She also had a baby daughter. I don't remember her name or season but maybe someone with a better memory will know who she is.

Was it Natasha Galkina from cycle 8?

http://antm.wikia.com/wiki/Natasha_Galkina

latest?cb=20111123192536&path-prefix=en

Edited by EVS
Insert wiki link
10 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Meanwhile, I find it irritating that Nicole seemed to be upset she didn't get a rose after talking about her twin brother's autism story.  It made me think she was "opening up" to curry favor with him.  I'm sure she wasn't but the way she griped about not getting the rose after "opening up" made me feel dirty after falling for her while she told that story.

Yes, and she went on and on and on about it: "He's my whole world," "We're a package deal,"  things that seemed a little too much for the moment.  If Nicole, or the producers, thought it was important to tell Colton upon first meeting that she had an autistic brother, that's one thing, but she could have just mentioned it, listened to Colton's inane, "They're so inspiring," and then gone onto other subjects.  I find it vaguely offensive to act like a person's disability* is everything about them, much less everything about their family members.

Or "difference" if you prefer.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 11

Just pick Bri and be done with it. Not only is she smoking hot, but she seems genuinely chill and confident. I’m starting to understand why these are the women that go on this show, because they legitimately don’t understand social interactions. All these talking heads about how to get time with the Bachelor, telling their “story”, fighting with girls, gimmicks to stand out, props, ploys. Just be hot. Colton is 26-years-old. He’s just going to pick girls he’s physically attracted to (blonde, pretty, thin). Lauren proved on Arie’s season that literally the only thing most of these guys care about is looks. So just focus on looking pretty and being low maintenance and you’ll go far. Farther than if you choose to make a scene, break down in tears for some stupid reason, or just seem like a pill. You can already tell which girls Colton likes and which he just tolerates being there because of the show. If Colton doesn’t think you’re pretty, then making him laugh or making him spend time with you isn’t going to change that  

And I was willing to give Never Been Kissed a chance until we heard her story. She’s GORGEOUS. She went through all of high school and all of college being hit on by every guy within a five-mile-radius but never met one who she wanted to kiss? Then wants some random guy on a reality show to kiss her? It doesn’t make any sense. And if someone makes a lifestyle choice that’s their business, but once she and Colton started talking about choices as if they were better than everyone else or “know their worth” it made me ill. If you want to be a virgin or not kiss somebody that’s fine. But if you want to use your sexuality as leverage in relationships, or something to define yourself then I think you have some issues. You’re not better than anyone for holding out and not being physical. The only person it affects is yourself and your happiness. I think both will find out when they finally do have sex/kiss that they’ve just been denying themselves pleasure for some bs reason. 

• Love 9

The never been kissed girl is very annoying and I'm just waiting for the slew of guys to come out of the woodwork and say they've made out on many occasions and then some. It's so important to her that she kisses the right person and yet amazingly after one 2 minute conversation with Colton, he's the one. I really wish the girls would call her out on this.

• Love 8

Here's the ABC head shot of never been kissed.. why are the head shots always SO BAD??  They are supposed to be professionally done photos and they are always scary.  If I saw that mouth coming towards me I might back away too (sorry but we are here to snark! And I can't feel that guilty being superficial over a superficial show).  They need to get a photog in who does realtor shots.  The one we used in the short stint I did in real estate worked magic. 

1600x640-Q90_450af579c6534f17a9f474d1e0f

And here's Alex B... count me among those that peg her as a bit.. masculine..

1600x640-Q90_35ac91fbb3fb061de93c914c934

• Love 9

The "pro" shots ABC gets for both Bach and Bach'ette are terrible! Half the time I have to go back and look at them again because the people look nothing like the photos. They really do need to get someone else to do the photos. Most of these girls Instagram selfies are better than these. 

• Love 4