Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, DougJones said:

But I still can’t unhear Aaron’s over enunciation of Mexican cuisine ingredients.

Aaron says he spoke Spanish at home growing up (same for Giada and Italian).  I don’t get why it’s a big deal for a person to pronounce words from their native language (or their own frickin’ name), in the way that they sound in that language - even if the rest of what they’re saying is in basically unaccented English.

I thought the Mystery Box challenge went about as expected- sink or swim with the tough cuts, and poor execution on  others that should have been cakewalks.  Matt felt like the correct boot in this situation- he also disregarded/didn’t seem to grasp the judges advice, and apparently messed up two attempts on the filet.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Leeds said:

And the inevitable "cry pies" on every season irritate the hell out of me.

There is only one Cry Pie!!!

For those of you who may not have watched previous iterations of the show, there was a contestant who for some reason kept making pies that were not particularly good and who kept bursting in tears. So people on TWOP or some other board dubbed her "Cry Pie."

https://masterchef.fandom.com/wiki/Elise_Mayfield

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm sure this is not the correct attitude to have when someone is ill, but, I'M SO HAPPY MZ. "TANGY WANGY" IS GONE!

I'm not certain she's gone, he said she was ill but was going to be ok. Did GR say for certain she's gone?

I always love the demonstrations by Gordon or the guest chefs, and he and Michael Mina have such a nice rapport that I could have watched a whole hour of that. I did have to laugh at Gordon talking up his sweetbreads, "it's not from the throat area; it's pancreas." Oh yes please, give me a double helping of pancreas.

I like Abe so I was happy for him, but he put raisins in the coleslaw! That is literally a joke from SNL's Black Jeopardy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

I didn't get the gushing over the top three woman's dish (sorry, can't remember her name).  It may have tasted good but they kept praising the presentation - it looked like a hot mess to me, in need of "editing".  (Though it does seem that she knows what she's talking about in terms of food.)

What are the odds that a good percentage of these contestants had never heard of either Michael Mina or sweetbreads before their pre-show lesson?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I thought the Mystery Box challenge went about as expected- sink or swim with the tough cuts, and poor execution on  others that should have been cakewalks.  Matt felt like the correct boot in this situation- he also disregarded/didn’t seem to grasp the judges advice, and apparently messed up two attempts on the filet.

I always wonder why people who try out for the show haven't bothered to learn some of the more esoteric ingredients that might be thrown at them (sweetbreads etc.)   I'd go back and see what has been a curve before, and definitely at least learn to cook it once (altho granted, finding an ostrich egg or other unusual thing may be hard to come by.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I always wonder why people who try out for the show haven't bothered to learn some of the more esoteric ingredients that might be thrown at them (sweetbreads etc.)   I'd go back and see what has been a curve before, and definitely at least learn to cook it once (altho granted, finding an ostrich egg or other unusual thing may be hard to come by.)

There are always a couple who don't even appear to know how to boil water.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Colorado David said:

They're the same people who go on Survivor, but don't bother to learn how to make fire, or go on The Amazing Race & don't learn how to drive a stick shift first.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, GaT said:

They're the same people who go on Survivor, but don't bother to learn how to make fire, or go on The Amazing Race & don't learn how to drive a stick shift first.

That made me laugh - the lost art of driving a stick shift. So many countries do not have automatics, why don't people realize this? And practice reading maps as well, and not rely on GPS.

• Love 6
(edited)

Why were they surprised when presented a skirt steak dish with a Mexican flair? Aren't fajitas made with skirt steak?? Come on guys!

ETA: I'd cry foul as far as the winner's sweet breads dish. He was going to deep fry them until Arrrrroooon told him that he needed to blanch them in milk prior to deep frying.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Colorado David said:

That's a little demanding, no? If we can take Lexy at her word, she has never cooked a NY Strip, which is one of the more basic cuts of steak.

If you haven't done something that my almost-never cooking ass has done a number of times, I don't know how one can make a claim to being one of the top home cooks in America.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Leeds said:

And the inevitable "cry pies" on every season irritate the hell out of me.

I feel for her because I can be the same way. My mind is totally calm but for some reason I'm crying. 

27 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I feel for her because I can be the same way. My mind is totally calm but for some reason I'm crying. 

I don't mind the cry pies AS LONG AS they deliver quality (I take it as being passionate about cooking well). Now if you're a crypie and putting out garbage, get out of the kitchen.

As for the language putting on the accent, eh no problem with that, as I feel it's Aaron trying to inject hey you can be foreign and perform great (and maybe it makes somebody wanna look up history for that country.) Like I don't mind Morimoto's accent...I do wonder if anyone gets bent when they put up subtitles due to an accent tho?

• Love 3

And this is why I put up with Gordon’s asshattery: watching him cook. Oh how I wish I lived in a place that had a large kitchen and I could get the chance for him to come over and cook for me show me how he cooks his filet mignon.

What?

Ahem.

It was a tragedy what Matt did to those filets. They looked waay overcooked. I was surprised they were pink on the inside. I prefer a medium myself. Not rare as I’m not a wild animal.

Kelsey annoys me. At least that’s what I think her name is. As if Mexican flavors is something new and unheard of.🙄🙄🙄

So glad that “Flippin’ DOODAH!” lady is gone.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Did anyone notice the earlobes on the girl bartender  from the Boston area.  They were the strangest thing I have ever seen and she wore those big disks on them.

Edited by cameron
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was a tragedy what Matt did to those filets. They looked waay overcooked. I was surprised they were pink on the inside. I prefer a medium myself. Not rare as I’m not a wild animal.

Exactly. Nothing hard about cooking a filet, just keep an eye on it pretty constantly.  It's not like he was having to watch over a garnish station at the same time.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Exactly. Nothing hard about cooking a filet, just keep an eye on it pretty constantly.  It's not like he was having to watch over a garnish station at the same time.

In a way though, they all had to do meat and garnish simultaneously - the only difference between this and HK is that they’re making one entree and sides from scratch, rather than a bunch of plates from already prepped components.  With Matt, I believe his sides were “fine“ - but kind of basic, and certainly not enough to make up for the mistakes on the filet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/9/2021 at 4:32 AM, cameron said:

Did anyone notice the earlobes on the girl bartender  from the Boston area.  They were the strangest thing I have ever seen and she wore those big disks on them.

Yes, I did.  I dislike gauges at the best of times, but at least wear a pair that aren't flesh coloured.

(edited)

One, the episode started off on a nice note with the announcement the Female Gomer Pyle won’t be back. 

Two, the best part of this show is when Gordon gives a cooking lesson. He makes it look so easy, and it’s easy to see why he is such a great chef.

Three, holy cow, I looked up Minas menus online. Doubt I’ll be stopping there next Vegas trip. Lobster Pot Pie for $105, among other pricy entrees. I can see a dinner for two being in the $500+ range with wine and tip. I enjoy fine dining, but not being gouged. 

Finally, who in their right mind would think garlic and chocolate is a good idea?

Edited by MajorWoody
  • Love 9
(edited)

I guess I'm alone in thinking Matt was not the weakest link this week.  I think the judges were a little surprised that his steak was technically not way under or over like they thought it would be.  I think they got that impression from Matt himself so they thought that would be an easy way to send someone they see as expendable home.  But then when they cut into the meat it wasn't as bad as they anticipated so they had to exaggerate what wasn't perfect about it, like the gray ring, which really wasn't so bad.  I've seen them totally overlook bigger gray rings on this show.  Calling it "hammered"?  Seriously?  I have been cooking filet for 40 years and I would not call what I saw on that plate "hammered".  I think when they realized his meat wasn't as bad as they thought it would be they picked his dish apart far more than it deserved to justify sending him home.  I can smell their BS a mile away after all these years. 

I think either of the two women should have gone home over him to be honest, but Lexi would probably have to take a crap on a plate before she'd be sent home over Matt.  She's reality TV gold.  She's getting that sincere, earnest young mom edit, plus she's not a white man.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

When Joe kept talking about a legend of Italian cooking who he calls family, I almost thought he should be talking about his mother Lidia instead of Nancy Silverton, but OK they own a restaurant together so I guess it works.

Lexi's lasagna didn't appetize this Italian American at all.  Her edges were just on the side of crepe-like, black and hard, not GBD (golden brown and delicious).  I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but I'd be hard pressed to remember getting it like that in any Italian restaurant and my Sicilian grandma would never have made it that way either.  So I say a big "whatever" to that.

One thing I like about this season so far is that the contestants are not over-done caricatures of some stereotype the show wants to push.  Well OK, there are some, but they're not as offensive as in years past.  We still have caricatures like the Jersey Shore-ish muscle-man Italian guy but at least he's pretty much a real person and not presented in any kind of offensive way.  I was disappointed in his gnocchi - I could just tell that they were leaden, but at least his pronunciation of the word "gnocchi" was textbook.  I found myself actually relieved that he didn't go home.

I love it that the woman who cooked her Sicilian Nonna's recipe won.  Her dish was stunning - Oops, why didn't Gordon use his favorite word?  He's slipping!

I usually don't see things this way (or like to), but after feeling that last week's elimination was somewhat unfair, it certainly does look like they're hell bent on sending white guys home this season.

• Love 5

Why do Italian-Americans on these shows always feel the need to shove that down our throats?  Also that they're from the East Coast? If I were on I wouldn't be all "I'm German/Estonian so **fear my sauerbraten/mulgikapsad**!!!!" I admit I might shove Wisconsinite down their throat to show them how tedious they are.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

At first I couldn't even recall who Miles was, but then it occurred to me that I'd been calling him Baxter this whole time. Or Badger.

Those lasagna bits weren't crunchy, they were burnt AF. Lexy is seriously getting a free pass.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, mertensia said:

Why do Italian-Americans on these shows always feel the need to shove that down our throats?  Also that they're from the East Coast? If I were on I wouldn't be all "I'm German/Estonian so **fear my sauerbraten/mulgikapsad**!!!!" I admit I might shove Wisconsinite down their throat to show them how tedious they are.

As an Italian American, I don't see anyone shoving anything down my throat here.  I see it as coming from a very strong love of food that for them is synonymous with love and family, and thus they are very strongly emotional, proud and passionate about it.  I can vouch for the fact that many of us grow up in a strongly foodie culture where food and cooking are elevated to levels of importance that go to some amazing heights.  Many of us literally grew up at our relative's sides with them teaching us their recipes.  I've seen similar in other immigrant cultures and have seen proud contestants from those cultures on this and other cooking competitions talking proudly about their ability in their native cuisine.  I can remember some upper Midwesterners boasting about their great sauerbratens and casseroles too!  There just happen to be a few proud Italian Americans on this show this season, that's all. 

• Love 8
(edited)
9 hours ago, mertensia said:

I think in fairness, they probably get egged on by the producers to talk about their heritage. Also, Masterchef typically has an episode or two about pasta/Italian cooking. So they may come in thinking/knowing that they will have to prove themselves in that regard.

I do think there was a contestant who was from Wisconsin whose gimmick was showcasing German/Wisconsin style food. 

7 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

At first I couldn't even recall who Miles was, but then it occurred to me that I'd been calling him Baxter this whole time. Or Badger.

Those lasagna bits weren't crunchy, they were burnt AF. Lexy is seriously getting a free pass.

They do love her "I budget for meals for 4 people for $40/week" gimmick. But then, nobody forced them to expand the top 3 to a top 4.  They may have just been impressed that she was willing to cook lasagna in the first place since it typically takes 40+ minutes baking time for a full pan and presumably takes something close to that for even a smaller serving. To make the pasta, prepare the filling and get things baking in under an hour seems pretty ambitious, even though lasagna itself is probably not so much. Again, a dish I assume she has made before with store-bought pasta. 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 4
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I think in fairness, they probably get egged on by the producers to talk about their heritage. Also, Masterchef typically has an episode or two about pasta/Italian cooking. So they may come in thinking/knowing that they will have to prove themselves in that regard.

I do think there was a contestant who was from Wisconsin whose gimmick was showcasing German/Wisconsin style food. 

Wasn't that the woman we called "cry pie" here on the board?  I'm forgetting.

But yeah, we've seen our share of Mexicans proud of their culture and mole, and even on other shows like "Top Chef" we've had African chefs proud of their fufu.  As an Italian American I never begrudged that passion and pride (until I felt that one contestant made fufu a little too many times but that's another issue).  They have a right to be proud of their heritage and food.  I just told my Irish American husband about this and this is his quote - "Why does being Italian American have anything to do with it?  Why is it that cooks from every other culture can be as proud as they want but Italian Americans can't?  Not fair!"  

And yeah, this is a pasta episode so I would expect some of them talking up their ability with pasta.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

They do love her "I budget for r4 people for $40/week" gimmick. But then, nobody forced them to expand the top 3 to a top 4. 

I'm not buying her $40 a week claim AT ALL.  Not even a family of 2 could live on that these days unless you're serving some carb-laden "one dish" wonders.  She is definitely getting the soft-ball treatment what with being added to the top 3 as a top 4 and not being sent home last week when she probably should have.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I'm not buying her $40 a week claim AT ALL.  Not even a family of 2 could live on that these days unless you're serving some carb-laden "one dish" wonders.  She is definitely getting the soft-ball treatment what with being added to the top 3 as a top 4 and not being sent home last week when she probably should have.

In addition to the fact that her lasagna didn't look very appealing or judge worthy; (at least to my eyes it wasn't).

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

My favorite moment was when Joe told Anne that she should have left off some of the ingredients (after Gordon and Nancy Silverton praised her dish unreservedly), Silverton leaned over to Gordon and whispered "he should stick to wine making". Probably scripted but still amused me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

My favorite moment was when Joe told Anne that she should have left off some of the ingredients (after Gordon and Nancy Silverton praised her dish unreservedly), Silverton leaned over to Gordon and whispered "he should stick to wine making". Probably scripted but still amused me.

He's such a pompous ass.

• Love 3

Found it interesting that none of the contestants made their pasta by hand; all use a cuisinart type of machine.  Especially after they had Nancy S. making her pasta by hand.

1 hour ago, preeya said:

In addition to the fact that her lasagna didn't look very appealing or judge worthy; (at least to my eyes it wasn't).

No I already griped about that too above.  It looked beyond acceptable in terms of charred and black around the edges.  I rolled my eyes when Gordon and Nancy were gushing over loving that part of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Aside from Lexy, that stupid Kelsey keeps getting the top three, and the judges keep giving her a tongue bath, too.

I actually like Autumn. And I thought her beet infused ravioli looked delish. And the judges thought so, too. Gordon said he would serve it at his restaurant. High Praise!

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Like, maybe if she was from some place with crazy low cost of living. But she is from Chicago (or Chicago-adjacent). 

So unless that comes with a bunch of asterisks (like "We almost never meet budget" or "$40/week figure does not include food from husband's job, kids' school lunches, donations from relatives/friends/etc.") I too call shenanigans.

I don't know if I think that her dish last week was so bad it should have sent her home.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Aside from Lexy, that stupid Kelsey keeps getting the top three, and the judges keep giving her a tongue bath, too.

I actually like Autumn. And I thought her beet infused ravioli looked delish. And the judges thought so, too. Gordon said he would serve it at his restaurant. High Praise!

Kelsey has picked up the annoying-me slack that Mary Jayne left off. She just seems so full of herself, and too much of a kiss-ass for even this show, where they have to act like Joe is some sort of culinary genius as opposed to being born to one and being able to parlay that into insufferableness and an American Simon Cowell impression. Unfortunately, it seems she can back up some of her attitude with her cooking, so she does seem like she will go deep in the season. Maybe she will chill out if she has a brush with elimination.

P.S. the other person I thought going into this season who would be a big annoyance, Michael from Jersey, has also been somewhat toned down. Perhaps because they haven't hit as hard on the vegan note. I was surprised that he did lobster this week. Pasta seems like a perfect time to showcase vegan cuisine if that's what you prefer, because you can use all sorts of non-animal components as fillings/sauce elements.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, cameron said:

Found it interesting that none of the contestants made their pasta by hand; all use a cuisinart type of machine.  Especially after they had Nancy S. making her pasta by hand.

I do think at least one person did hand-make their pasta. I can't remember who it was. But maybe Miles? 

• Love 1

What I have been enjoying this season (and I can't recall if in past seasons they did this), is having Gordon, Arrrrron, and the guest chefs, provide feedback and suggestions to the contestants on how to elevate the dishes they're making.

Now if morons like Miles and Alejandro ignore them, well...they have no one else to blame but themselves.

The fact that Lexy was in the bottom three last week tells the judges aren't playing favoritism with her, at least. Kelsey, on the other hand...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The fact that Lexy was in the bottom three last week tells the judges aren't playing favoritism with her, at least. Kelsey, on the other hand...

She probably deserved to be in the bottom 3 but deserved to go home, not stay.  Being in the bottom 3 doesn't mean anything if they get to cook another day. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Joe was so cute with Nancy.  He's definitely mostly business, but he did grow up cooking at Lidia's knee and is very skilled.  He just doesn't bring it out too often. 

What does "Cheese it on the stove" mean?  I haven't heard that before.  Does it mean literally don't put in the cheese while the pasta is on the stove and maybe over-melts?  Anybody know the phrase?

Tay needs to STOP.SHOUTING.EVERYTHING!  

Go Autumn!  She's got too many tatts & plays up the "I'm Italian" thing, but she's sweet & her dish looked & sounded amazing.  I'm good with her winning. 

Anne has that Real-Housewife-Instagram-Influencer-wannabe look and vibe.  The hair, the attitude, and when she said the phrase "Party in your mouth" I wanted to punch her in her mouth party.  I ABHOR that phrase.  Really, really ABHOR.  I hate she was in the top. 

I'm on board with something about Lexy I just don't buy with the poor-girl-cooks-rich thing.  If you don't have money, you sure can't waste it by experimenting.  I think Joe nailed it with she grew up with plenty of money and learned to cook without having to pinch pennies, so it's now her "hook".  

I'm glad Alejandro was saved, but he needs to step it up.  Good thing Miles blew it.  

Edited by leighdear
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, leighdear said:

What does "Cheese it on the stove" mean?  I haven't heard that before.  Does it mean literally don't put in the cheese while the pasta is on the stove and maybe over-melts?  Anybody know the phrase?

Tay needs to STOP.SHOUTING.EVERYTHING!  

The only reference point I have for "cheese it" is that it's kind of old-timey slang.  Basically, if you're about to get caught getting into trouble, it's a way to tell whoever you're with to either be quiet or scram,  For cooking, maybe it means to get nervous and pull something too soon.  Otherwise, I have no idea why it's "cheese" specifically - although I'm pretty sure it's not meant literally.

Otherwise, Tay isn't shouting.  He has a voice that projects (and he works in radio, so maybe he's done some vocal training) - but that's not the same thing.  TBH, I don't have a VU meter or anything - but I don't think he's any louder overall than the rest of the contestants.  Now, when Gordon (or Joe or Aaron) warns the whole room that there's X Minutes left, that's shouting.

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Watching this season, I get the feeling that the powers that be for this show want to produce a cookbook for budget-conscious families.  If I'm right, Miss $40 A Week is a shoo-in for the win.

They haven't mentioned a cookbook at all this season, have they?  Honestly, I don't think that's been part of the prize for a few seasons now.  Beyond that, I just don't know why the producers would care enough to try and manipulate the outcome for any particular contestant.  These people are, to be frank, more or less interchangeable.  Whichever of them wins, the show will edit them to be a sympathetic underdog who's just looking to get their shot - any "story elements" beyond that are just garnish.  If I had to guess, I assume that the promotional priorities for this show are something like:

1. Gordon Ramsay
  2. The Masterchef TV franchise
  3. Product sponsors
  4. The guest chef "Legends"
  5. Gordon Ramsay Restaurant Group
  6. A) Joe  B) Aaron
  7. Appearances by Ramsay offspring (raise two places during "Junior" seasons)
  8. Non-chef celebrity guests
  9. "First Responders"/"The Military"
  10. Masterchef: The Cruise, and Masterchef Summer Camp (when operational)
  11. Past winners/finalists
  12. Getting hit by a truck
  13. Whoever actually wins this season
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5